- Suggested MPAA Rating (S1): R for disturbing violent and sexual content including rape, explicit dialogue, bullying, and a scene depicting suicide, nudity, language throughout, alcohol/drug use, and partying - all involving teens
- Suggested MPAA Rating (S2): R for strong disturbing violent and sexual content including rape, torture, bullying, and explicit dialogue, graphic nudity, language throughout, alcohol/drug use, and some partying - all involving teens
- Very graphic and disturbing content
- Season 1: The issue of rape is dealt with a lot in the last 4 episodes. The issue is not dealt lightly and it is presented in a rather daunting way.
- Hannah's suicide scene lasts for a few minutes. There is a lot of blood and is the most graphic, painful scene of the season. It may be triggering or upsetting to viewers who have dealt with Hannah's situation.
- Suggested Age Rating: 15-17+ depending on the child watching and with parental discretion. Graphic content includes sexual assault, suicide, fist fights, language, drug use, underage drinking, insults such as "cum dumpster", self harm, as well as the fact that the show revolves around grief and suicide.