User Reviews (208)

• Gio8517 May 2014
    Season 3 ruined what could have been a good show!
    Wow season 3 of Scandal was so bad it absolutely wiped out what Scandal had established in Season 1 and 2. For a political drama this show has now turned into a fantasy satire. Every character on the show is a villain. The president, the vice president and all of Olivia's love interests, as well as her entire family are mass murderers involved in some recycled Alias storyline that has been done to death. Olivia is no longer the strong, independent woman from season 1 and most of season 2, she is now a incompetent, weak cry baby who follows the president like a puppy no matter what he does or who he kills. There is no one to root for anymore as this is a show about terrible people doing ridiculous things. The acting is over the top as everyone in the cast seems to scream one line after the other and the dialogue is so unbelievable and clichéd. The show is now filled with cheap thrills and gimmicks(Hannibal would be proud of Mama Pope), taking itself so seriously yet offering nothing in return.

This show had so much potential but season 3 not only jumped the shark, it sunk the ship. I am sorry to say I have now given up this show which use to be must see TV!
  • S-Corp2420 April 2014
    The more you watch it... the more ridiculous it gets.
    This show is becoming somewhat of a joke.

As it goes on, the ridiculous plots and the increasingly poor acting become too much to bear! One minute Olivia is in love with Fitz, the next minute she's in love with Jake.. this goes on and on until you're just sick of all three of them. The season 3 finale was just awful. I don't have the breadth of vocabulary required to properly articulate just how bad it was. The show is poorly scripted, and the poor acting only exacerbates the problem. Some of the plots are okay, but the execution is just bad ! I've seen Kerry Washington in other roles, she's not a bad actress, however, she's totally wrong for the part here. She's utterly unconvincing.

Seriously, if you're hoping this show will get better as you watch it, just give up now. It gets worse.
  • trojko7001 August 2013
    My brain is now less functional than before watching this show!
    What appears as an intriguing storyline quickly reveals itself as a poorly executed concept. The acting is weak at best with the lead having only two facial expressions, the plastic surgery stiff face and then the weepy eyed look. The plot is hinged on the impossible and the relationship between the president and the main character is replayed in a pathetic unbelievable constant replay cycle.

The main point of contention is that the main characters are all very unlikable and guilty of what is an act of political terrorism as well as multiple murders, and they justify it this with the same excuse that all horrific characters use in cliché writing.

Make an intelligent choice and avoid this horrific attempt at television, once again proving that the private cable companies are still way ahead in the drama creation and execution. the big networks are really trying to catch up but just don't seem to have the ability to do so.
  • Ingrid Naimy31 March 2014
    WTF is happening with this show???
    CAN'T TAKE THIS SHOW ANYMORE!!!! "Scandal" is becoming one hell of a soap opera. Every actor is OVERACTING, it's like every one is PMSing... "Olivia Pope" just makes sad, confused faces and shouts all the time, it's annoying. "Huck" only WHISPERS, since episode one... "Jake Ballard" wants to be the bad ass, but sorry, far from it, he only makes puppy faces with puppy eyes.... this show just died... last episode was like: "let's get everyone having sex, to put some sparkles on it".... FAILED!!!!!! Horrible timing... maybe the producers, could perhaps take some notes from "House of Cards" and "Political Animals"... and I understand this is supposed to be a "scandal" from a romance btw the president and an outsider, but both of them are becoming narcissistic pricks and I don't even care if they stay together, the show would be better if they actually found others to get involved with. Everything in Scandal just SUCKS lately!!!! Good bye "soap opera"... I'm done!!!!
  • Than Vlachos5 May 2017
    Had to stop watching it for my own sanity
    This show was way better in the first two or so seasons. Back then, a lot of the episodes focused on the main characters using their skills to mop up different political scandals around town. There was a larger story arc that was okay too, but it was never all that interesting.

The show goes way downhill as it grinds on, however. Once Olivia Pope gets into a ridiculous love triangle with two dudes, the whole show devolves into her making pouty faces and yelling a lot, or sitting around on her couch making pouty faces while she drinks wine and eats chocolate, etc. That's pretty much every episode. All the characters talk with the same annoying diction and frequently make ridiculous and hyperbolic speeches about "the republic" and other nonsense. The writing is painfully predictable. I gave up somewhere in the fourth season. Or maybe the fifth. I don't remember; I do my best to pretend this show never happened.
  • johncarson-4405726 May 2017
    Even dumb and dumber is smarter than this
    I enjoyed first 2 seasons, but has sunk faster than the Titanic. Over time you realize everyone acts the same. Every actor has the same cadence when they talk. Olivia can't act, it's just the same expression over and over and over and over... By this last season , you realize it's the most idiotic thing you've ever watched EVER. It's hilariously stupid, yet the show still takes itself seriously... It's like Adam Sandler thinking 1 of his movies will win an Oscar. I'm not surprised by any twist and turn because it's so stupid - it's just 1 eye roll after another. I feel like the type of show it was changed after the first 2 years. Anyways, I want my life back
  • hr-2713 May 2012
    Just not good
    This show is not very good. I have watched every episode hoping that it would find its legs, but sadly, it has not. The show is poorly written, the characters are very 2 dimensional. If you have watched T V in the last 10 years, you will easily guess what the characters will say and do. The shows repeated usages of characters saying "Olivia Pope" is irritating. The stories are so black and white no shades of gray. The stories each week do not fit into any current or past realities. The acting or directing is so poor I cannot figure it out. There is not real chemistry between the characters. The naïve character (Quinn Perkins) is so naïve you wonder why anyone would hire her. The tech guru/former black ops killer (Huck), does not that just sound silly. The slick, fasting talker (Harrison Wright), surprise, surprise is played by a black guy. Then there is the powerful smart women (Abby Whelan) who got beaten by her husband. The characters sound more like the cast of Leverage. The concept of the story is great but the execution is extremely poor. The show just does not have real passion behind it, then again how can you have passion or insight about this larger than life powerful black women who is having an affair with the President of the United States.
  • Junior Bronson11 February 2017
    Worthless Television
    This show seems like it was written by or for children or overly- emotional halfwits. The writing has all the depth and nuance of a ridiculous dime store romance novel. Nothing that happens in this show is based in reality, no character is either real or likable, and none of their reactions are in any way realistic. Every single character seems like they have the emotional age of an impetuous tween.

The show is devoid of any real life feelings or characters, and the worst part is the writing. The dialogue is all completely ridiculous. Characters constantly launch into tirades, at least 2 or 3 every single episode. Why would anyone want to watch grown people throw tantrums constantly? Plus all of the characters talk the same -- what really grates on me though is how all of them constantly repeat themselves. "I will not do that! That is something I will not do! You will not make me do that and that will not be done by me!" That's pretty much exactly the way they talk.

Olivia Pope is completely unlikable and Kerry Washington is a truly terrible actress whose performance rings about as true as Ashton Kutcher would in the same role: as Olivia Pope.

I can't stand a single thing about this show.
  • Kenner Benner26 February 2016
    For the script writers
    Way too much dialogue. How many different ways can one line of script be delivered? It comes-off as a vehicle for the writers trying too hard to prove their wit and intelligence. How many words are necessary to make one point? Move along; nothing more to hear, here; less is more. This would be a half-hour show if the script redundancy were eliminated.

The characters talk too much, and the actors appear to have attended the same acting school as William Shatner. Over-emoting seems to define the director's mandate. I find it painful to watch, so mostly, I don't.

It may be time to call it quits for this series. It has nowhere to go, which could account for its floundering script-writing. It peaked two seasons ago and now all that's left, is to put it out of its misery.
  • kimcorn13 April 2012
    Brilliant show!
    I had stopped watching prime time shows because of the lack of quality and diversity in casting. But WOW, Scandal has me hooked! This show is just incredible, brilliantly written, directed, and acting-- I have been on the edge of my seat from the opening scene until the credits. I hope that this show gains fans and ratings. I know I'm telling all of my friends to watch! The casting is rock solid. Casting Kerry Washington as Olivia Pope is inspired. Tony Goldwin as the POTUS is incredibly powerful. The chemistry between the two of them is amazingly hot. I'm eager to learn more of their back story as well as that of the other characters.
  • captain_dimpf15 March 2014
    Forgive me please
    I'm not quite sure why this series annoyed me as much as it did. Well, I think the music is really horrible, the separating cut scenes are irritating, the main character is such a stereotype, the rest of the cast is equally unimaginative, the dialog is lackluster, the acting is wooden, the plot is trying too hard and the set design is just so contrived. You know, that doesn't make for top notch TV entertainment in my book but at the same time it really doesn't explain why I found this so painful to watch. I guess it's because there is so much high quality stuff out there and you can immediately see what series the creators of Scandal draw inspiration from. Which series they try to rip off. As there is no original idea here and everything is so predictable that you inevitably wait for this to be done with, I will give this a very with berth from now on. But don't let that put you off.
  • mark63524 October 2013
    Ridiculous Tripe
    This is the worst piece of putrefied garbage I've ever seen.

My g/f asks me to sit and watch it with her..."Sure honey, love to join in with you." Makes her happy, right? That lasted exactly one and a half episodes. An hour and a half of my life I'll never get back.

The casting is way off, the acting is weak, Tony Goldwyn is completely unbelievable as POTUS! I'm sorry to see Josh Malina on this show, I thought he was good on The West Wing. BTW, if you like a decent political/White House drama, try the West Wing or House of Cards. This show is a bunch of salacious BS. Soap opera stupidity.

Never again my sweet. Call your girlfriends if you're going to continue to watch this tripe!
  • Rakesh Ramachandran29 June 2013
    The worst acting you can get.......
    The cast in the show especially The title role actor is one of the worst actors i saw in a show. Its like she is overacting in every scene and am surprised she is the same girl in Django Unchained. Its horrible i couldn't watch the show more than three episodes. I wouldn't recommend this one to those who likes to watch meaningful drama with believable people.The supporting casts are equally bad and gets on your nerves.I am surprised that it has got a 7 plus rating here on IMDb , seriously people.The stories are all like unbelievable and the presidents character which should have been powerful is like a immature 16 year old.
  • Gutty Fried13 August 2014
    Please do not mention B-613 again
    I know the genre of this show is Drama but everyone in it has decided to take the acting beyond its literal meaning, especially that lead character - Olivia Pope. One minute she's overly angry, next minute she's crying or making weird faces. Funny she didn't even cry when her friend James died. Cyrus, on the other hand, gave a compelling performance in that episode. Wow. I actually came close to shedding a tear.

The whole Olivia-President affair has been stretched out way too long. Ugh. It is disgusting. Which sensible adult person in a powerful position would be stupid enough to have sex everywhere - even at a church during a funeral? Seriously? Do these writers think we are kids? It's not just the president. Everyone is having sex everywhere. They really do think we're stupid.

How many times do they have to mention B613, the "secret" government agency? They are always mentioning this B613 everywhere - in restaurants, offices, cars - I mean everywhere. Not so "covert", are they? With four members.

If you are looking for some cheap entertainment to while away your time, then by all means, go ahead and watch. If you want something mind-stimulating and thought-provoking, then please take my advice and run far away from this crap.
  • titus22729 November 2014
    Unless you like Danielle Steel novels, skip this stupid show.
    This show seems like it was written by or written for delusional women who would otherwise be reading ridiculous romance novels. Nothing that happens in this show is based in reality and no one on the show is emotionally older than 15. Furthermore, none of the characters have a personality. It sounds like the same person wrote every ridiculous silly tantrum that the show tries to make into an impassioned speech ... every 7 minutes or so.

Olivia Pope is the biggest hypocrite I can remember in recent television, and Kerry Washington does a poor job with the acting, consistently coming off as a emotionally juvenile twit. She only has three faces: Hurt, Shocked and about to cry. She also throws herself at multiple men on the show and cheats on the married man she is cheating with. The entire show is pretty rough. I would have had a lot more respect for all actors involved had I skipped this disaster.

I hope I never see Kerry Washington in film again. She has the all the charm and scope of a mildewed washcloth and leaves just as bad a taste in your mouth.
  • Adrian Stuart26 April 2015
    Well, at least the writing is scandalous....
    I'd heard about this series and decided to give it a try.

As a fan of Damages, Suits, The Good Wife, I like legal dramas. Some, or course, are better written and acted than others. Some require a low-level suspension of disbelief at times for the sake of a story - but then, with a bit of luck and effort, only for a story well told. All of the other legal dramas have characters with which I can say I've had some degree of empathy and sympathy for. I can like them and believe in them.

But OMG. Scandal is so very, very bad.

I confess to only watching one episode... But one was almost too much. I'll try not to spoil anything for anyone who wants to give it a go... But honestly, there's not enough to spoil.

The main character, Olivia Pope is meant to be a strong, determined woman. But she's played like a cartoon, and depressingly seems more concerned about posing for the camera in perfect clothes, hair and make-up than displaying any depth of character.

All that this allegedly mythologically successful and inspirational troubleshooter talks about is 'following her gut', which is a trope that we hear repeated over-and-over during the first episode (ad nauseam) ostensibly conveying that she relies on some sort of feminine intuition rather than masculine logic, determination and intellect to solve problems. Yet, despite success and accolades from her sycophantic staff, she crumples in the arms of her love interest (a powerful man, no less), - demonstrating not that she's human, but that she's just a quivering little woman after all.

I would watch Brady Bunch re-runs before trying this again.

Save yourselves!
  • muzzitz16 June 2015
    Managed to create a protagonist no one likes!!
    Just watches Scandal seasons 1-3 back to back (unfortunately my Homeland cds were out of reach!) and wow! How I do NOT like any of their protagonists, least of all Olivia Pope!! How did they manage that, I wonder?? You always find yourself rooting for the bad guys! Cannot stand this soap opera. And why does it keep being picked up? Thought that since there was 4-5 season of it must be good...what is America watching??? Really??? Pope is so self-righteous and a wimp, don't know why everyone utters her name like she is something special...they need some new writers maybe? Or a completely new show! This show - at some point- starts to look and sound like its on a loop....borrrrrrriiiiiiinnnnnnggggg....
  • RealReviewer19819 October 2014
    Worst Show On TV
    I've come to realize I love great television shows that make sense and don't insult our intelligence. Scandal doesn't make sense and insults our intelligence at just about every scene. Shows like Boardwalk Empire or even House of Cards are great because it makes you think and wonder how things like this happen in our world. Scandal is just ridiculous. I thought House of cards was pushing it with season 2 but Scandal starts of in La La Land where the US President is a real chump to a woman played by Kerry Washington. OK fine, but it seems Kerry Washington can take down any government of the world? And lets not talk about the scenes which only work assuming the passer byes are obviously deaf and dumb. This show is laughable at best. Scandal wants you to assume that Kerry's firm is just about the most powerful entity in the world. Hell, why doesn't she take down ISIS if her resources are as powerful as they make them seem. Shonda's shows really are just terrible (how to get away with murder was a huge let down) and sadly there is an audience but gladly its not me!
  • beau-59-258623 April 2016
    Used to be great, but fell downhill
    I used to really like Scandal, it was very exciting and thrilling. But since the start of season 4 the same story just drags on. Olivia and Potus keep being awkward around each other, Huck is still his usual weird, Mellie is still crazy (actually crazier than ever) and Olivia's daddy issues are still present. The episode four of season four where the presidents daughter has her sex-tape leaked was the final drop for me. Can't they really think of something more original? Its a shame really, it could have been great season for a once great show.

I want go give it 1 star, but since the first two seasons were good ill make it a 3 for the effort.
  • Dave Goodman14 June 2015
    Absolutely the worst acting ever
    My wife and I have persevered with this show because by halfway through S2 we decided it was absolutely the most overacted and unconvincing characters ever in a soap. From then on we watched for the amusement factor (in between Game of Thrones and True Detectives... decent dramas) and to sit and make fun of it. Kerry Washington has to be just about the most overrated and worst actress on the planet with her stupid faces she pulls and her ridiculous walk with a massive empty handbag. Huck is about as bad as a baby pug and the rest of them may as well just give up acting. Olivia's father in the show once he opened his gob you just wanted to put your boot in it as you know he wasn't going to shut up for about 10 minutes while the camera flashes to Olvia Pope like she was struggling on the toilet. Please if you are considering watching this utter tripe don't waste 60 hours of your life that you will never get back. Please don't commission a Season 6..please spare us the embarrassment.
  • Curtisuxor27 May 2014
    Scandal is getting worse
    Review is based on recently watched DVDs of Seasons 1-2. I loved the first season of the show: A great premise, a great cast, great acting and it was well written. ABC's full-season orders are destroying the quality of the show. The stories are becoming even more outlandish while also having clichéd and predictable conclusions.

Problems:

• That rapid shutter sound when a scene changes is overly loud and obnoxious. What purpose does it serve, exactly, beyond being an annoying, unnerving sound?

• The use of the "white hat" metaphor when used as often as it is in this show makes it a useless allegory. They also had the bright idea to have Olivia wear a literal white hat in the last episode in the second season (thanks for beating us over the head with this, Shonda).

• The pilot has Huck mention a basic mantra that characters repeat throughout the series: "We are gladiators" and "We don't ever cry for any reason because Olivia doesn't cry". After the pilot, Olivia cries in literally every single episode. Either Kerry is overacting (doubtful) or the writers and producers don't really care that they gave a basic "no-crying" maxim and choose to repeatedly violate it for some reason. Every episode also exposes how worthless she and her team are at being said gladiators until 7 minutes before the end of the episode.

• Making a powerful main character like Cyrus gay and married? Great. Making him a hyper- masculine character and his reporter husband James a hyper-feminized homosexual man because for some reason every gay couple on TV needs someone to take the "wife" role in the relationship? Not so great. Why can't gay men be attracted to each other for their masculinity?

• The Quinn problem: After the first season and a few episodes of Season 2, Quinn/Lindsay basically becomes irrelevant. The writers clearly didn't know what to do with her so they partnered her with Huck for no reason. But not before they made her a very frustrating, annoying, useless character who suddenly becomes apt at everything she does after her initial struggles. After her crisis is over she becomes a static character.

• The use of sex is an overused plot device for the story. Sex is not a replacement for good writing, but the producers and writers seem to think it is. There is an actual moment where a character asks another character a question with a difficult answer and instead of answering, kisses the other character and then they have sex on screen.

• Randomly fastforwarding the story 10 months in the middle of Season 2 (no mid-season break; just a one week to the next week) shows how lazy the writers and producers were. They didn't plan ahead, so suddenly at the beginning of S02E14 it reads "10 months later" on the screen and literally nothing changed in that 10 month period for any of the characters. Suddenly after 10 months everything starts changing again?

• Huck is the most compelling and complex character in main cast. His story and his emotional journey was great to watch in the Season 2"Seven Fifty-Two" episode (the only exceptionally good episode of the entire season).

• Reinforced gender roles: There are only 1.5 male characters in the entire show that are capable of an emotion other than anger. Huck is one (see above)and the .5 represents Cyrus's husband James. He counts as .5 of a male character because the producers decided he was supposed to be the equivalent to a gay wife (see above). Every other male character yells at the other characters.

-- Millie is the only interesting female character in the show that is not overcome with her emotions and painted as a weak, feminine character in every single episode. She actually schemes and uses everything she has, including crying, as a way to manipulate herself into more power and control. As stated before, Olivia cries all the time because she's just sad and Quinn is useless for most of both seasons. Abby is the clichéd hyper-sexualized female character who stares at penises all the time, makes inappropriate comments and is only female because if the producers and writers made her a male character, he would be seen as a sexual predator/sexual deviant/rapist. Finally, the other .5 of James is depicted as a permanently flustered, nagging, baby-obsessed gay-wife of Cyrus.

The biggest problem is that because there are so many episodes ordered by ABC, the writers and producers have no idea of the direction they want to take the show or their characters. They play it by ear and it really shows. "Oh, that main character is suddenly the big bad guy? Oh wait, no he wasn't. Oh wait, he's the big bad guy for something else? Oh wait, no he wasn't. Oh, he really was the bad guy but somehow framed 12 people to take the fall for him?" That totally doesn't get annoying, writers. The writers and producers are also forced to rely on overused tropes in thrillers/dramas leading to predictable episodes. The only moment that genuinely surprised me was the attempted assassination of a main character in Season 2.

Scandal's ratings appear to keep going up, but I'm out. I'm done with the show after the end of Season 2 and will not be coming back to it.
  • yuknow24 May 2012
    Not to be missed
    When Grey's Anatomy start going stale Scandal pops up. One of the best TV series ever. Every single episode leave you wanting for more! Starting off with the president looking scandalous to understanding the love he and Olivia have for each other. Fast pace keeps you guessing. Just not enough in your face dirty politics like 'Boss'. Something different from those boring same old monotone drama. 7 episodes in Season 1 is not enough. Till the last episode will keep you guessing who is the one that orchestrate all the things that happened. It is definitely one of the best TV series in 2012. Not to be missed most definitely.
  • Kubrick_cruise10 October 2017
    Scandal has gone off course
    Used to be one of my favorite shows. It started out great, but went off course starting last season. I just watched the first episode of the new season, and it will be the last I watch. Totally ridiculous. Very disappointed. Watching Olivia try to be so tough, and Nellie going along with it, is just too "out there" and not believable. So sad. What was Rhimes thinking!
  • rastogi-0772622 January 2016
    Extremely boring after season 2 and gets repetitive with Kerry Washington's overacting
    I started watching the show and was hooked initially, until the season 3 came along. The show has gotten extremely boring and monotonous. Olivia Pope's (Kerry Washington) acting is over the top and looks so annoying when she gets aggressive and starts to overly enunciate words with her loud mouth (SERIOUSLY WHY OVERACT?).

The whole on again off again love-mess between her and Fitz's gets on the nerves after season 2 (you pretend to love someone and then you are perfectly okay to sleep around as if infidelity is the new norm - seriously what the heck is that, Shonda Rhimes?)

The show is best suited for people who have nothing better to watch on TV. This show is pure torture now.
  • wildflowerhoney19 September 2015
    Yuck
    The premise for this show sounded promising, but how it has kept running for so many seasons is beyond me.

Not only is the acting awful, but the characters are both stereotypical and unbelievable at the same time. After four episodes I am done with this series. The situations are not that interesting, the main character has absolutely none of the gravitas you'd expect from a high-powered woman in her position, and "the most powerful man in the free world" (as we are constantly being reminded) is whiny and ineffectual. Don't even get me started on the naive new-comer and the black-ops hacker, et al.

Don't waste your time here; this is not the smart, interesting series it looks like from the description.