User Reviews (5)

• Definitely one of the most gut-wrenching cop series out there. Every character is flawed, yet likable. The situations are almost always tense and the stress of being a police officer is very well expressed.

There was a one-year hiatus between season one and season two, due to a change in producers, but the quality of the series has not faltered one bit. The second season first episode (no spoilers here) will go down in history as being one the most frightening and shocking out there.

You can't help but like and relate to the lead characters, Benoît Chartier, played by Claude Legault, and Nick Beroff, played by Réal Bossé. Those of us familiar with Bossé have never seen him in such a dramatic role. One wonders where he channels all that angst from.

If you are fluent in French and looking for something that would be world famous if HBO produced it, look no further, 19-2 is it.
  • I'm usually more of a fan of anti-heroes. I would watch breaking bad and Dexter over CSI and Bones any day. This show about Montreal's police really does something for me though. Frankly, I think I usually avoid police shows because to me, the characters in them are either cliché or stagnant. In 19-2, rest assured you'll see no righteous, confident hero nor eccentric genius who infuriates-everyone-but-is-tolerated-because-he-is-always-right (mentalist, Monk, House...). The characters will all make you hate them a little at some point, while still having you rooting for them. They evolve, as do their relationship in a natural, believable way. New plot lines are thrown in at the right pace: no time for being bored, but enough to make it coherent and fluid. The dialogues are right on the spot - absolutely natural, powerful or funny when needs to be. Although, this is probably one of those shows people from France might need subtitles to understand. Finally, they know exactly when to go slow mo', when to mute or delay the scene to make it efficient. If you know French, 19-2 is really worth your time.
  • CreativeSpark20 September 2015
    If your looking for a cop show that is well crafted, well acted and well written. Then you found your perfect dream, this show is absolutely wonderful. The story progression & cinematography is superb. A far cry from those lame shows like SVU or Chicago PD, this is the type of show they want to be.

I can't believe I'm only stumbling onto it now, but more than happy to have been able to go back and watch all the seasons. The show's that good, something needed in the crime TV genre. I haven't felt this much realism or intriguing grit since NYPD Blue, and still I would come back to this one every time.

I'm seriously stoked to see what season 4 has in store, whatever it is, I'm sure it will be great! Once again if you're looking for something entertaining but yet, serious and well-crafted then this is it!
  • Unlike many I don't mind reading subtitles when the colloquialisms substitute for the French language as it evolved in Québec. This is a riveting and addictive series. The portrayal of the relationship between Berrof and his mother paints a classic picture of a dysfunctional middle class family of the region and one that seems to be repeated in old French-Canadian families right along the fur-trade route from Québec through Detroit and Sault St. Marie is much more common than one might suppose in kind if not in degree. The promiscuity between couples and open relationships is also more commonly visible in Montréal than elsewhere in Canada. The behaviour of the police in solving internal problems like the wife-abuser or the dealing with cops personal problems, alcoholism, and the tendency to sweep misdemeanors under the carpet is accurate. I am disappointed to have learned that it is being remade in English with a different cast. The language is one I am familiar with having spent some of my formative years in the city. Some of the local jargon I picked up during the show was quite funny and a lot of that nuance may be lost in translation in the "anglais" version, but I will try to keep an open mind. If it gets (typically) "sanitized" in order to appeal to the English Canadian audience, it will be a totally different series, and I may prefer to go on watching the Québec version if it was available.
  • Unlike many, I wouldn't call "19-2" the best TV series of all time. The title is an allusion to the police precinct (19) and the ID number of the car (2) where our lead characters work at and from. After his partner has been severely injured, Nick Berrof (Réal Bossé), a beat cop of the Montreal Police Department (MPD), is partnered with rookie Benoît Chartier (Claude Legault). The latter presents himself as a former agent of the Sûreté du Québec (SQ), which is Québec's provincial police.

On a daily basis, Berrof and Chartier ride along and try to remain professional despite their aversion for each other. Furthermore, unbeknownst to Berrof and everyone in the MPD, Chartier is still on the SQ's payroll. In fact, Chartier is out to catch a mole in the MPD who's leaking sensitive informations to the organized crime.

While "19-2" is not among the best French-Quebecker TV shows such as "Aveux" or "Les invincibles" to name a few, it nevertheless is a diamond in the rough. When "19-2" is soapy, it stresses with a lot of emphasis that the characters are flawed. Off the job, Berrof has problems with his wife, a member of the brass, and his distant son. Add to that Berrof's occasional outbursts of violence. As for Chartier, he deals with his estranged wife and his flings.

Add to that the few problems of pacing. In its attempt to be like a film from Wong Kar-Wai (In the Mood for Love), "19-2" often offers long close-ups of the leading characters' face while they're saying nothing. Other than that, the acting is pretty solid and the smart script will have you scratching your head as to who the mole is.

Finally, once the mole is found by Chartier in the second season's finale, the script paves the way for an anticipated third season which is entirely focused on the leading characters' own issues. Moreover, I can't wait to see how the English Canadian remake, which also takes place in Montreal and will be aired on the cable network Bravo, will fare.