• HHTurkish5 November 2018
    No way around it, Season 6 was awful ...in every respect that the first few seasons excelled this fseason 6 failed.. Preposterous and confusing storylines, awful script, poor directing, the episodes had a soap opera like energy, as the saga provided empty thrills, and culminated in the most bizarre and ridiculous finale I've ever witnessed on television.... The first few seasons were great and deserved the highest of ratings; unfortunately Season 6 was a complete waste of time.
    After committing so much time to what was once a great show, I can only say avoid season six. It's ponderous, dull, full of plot lines that go no where and has one of the worst series finales ever made. They should have cancelled it when Spacey was sacked.
  • Terrible, I'm speechless. This show without Kevin Spacey is just dull
  • hortonk-863115 November 2018
    Enjoyed watching the first four seasons. Season 5 was bearable. Season 6, unbearable. Boring.
  • I enjoyed every bit of HOC 1-5.. Both the lead actors and the supporting cast were excellent.. Season 6 is Dull as Ditchwater.. A painful watch.. If they did this so that the hundreds of workers on the show wouldn't lose their jobs that's sad.. The show which IMHO was the shining star of the Netflix stable has crashed and burned.. Robin Wright is a great actress but without Kevin Spacey, her acting is insipid and boring to say the least.. For HOC fans, stay with the happy memories of Seasons 1-5.this leaves a bitter aftertaste
    House of cards could have been a memorable television series. A concentrate of tension and narrative power, but it was completely ruined with the fifth season, with the expulsion of Kevin Spacey and with the production of the sixth season. You can not create such a product, based so strongly on a character and then start replacing it and sending it away as if nothing had happened. Imagine if, in the fifth season of "Breaking bad" Skyler White had started to have more importance than Walter White and then, in a sixth season, they decided to kill Walt in a completely random way and make her protagonist. Never again.
    I just finished the last season of house of cards. I loved this show BEFORE they got rid of Kevin spacey. It Was okay without him, but not nearly as good. Getting rid of him was a HUGE mistake. The show just wasn't the same without him. I also hated the way the seemed to gloss over Franks death. There was hardly anything about him this season. It was a slap in the face for how good this show used to be. Claire played it well but it just wasn't the same. The last episode infuriated me. So much so I had to write this review. I couldn't believe it ended like that. Also since when would Doug kill frank? The whole thing was a shoddy ending for a show that was worth way more than this. My advice is to watch all of it except the last season. Don't bother.
  • House of Cards Seasons 1-5 was one of the best series ever produced however season 6 was utterly ridiculous, the decent writers either walked out due to the network punitive action towards Spacey or they wrote nonsense in protest.

One has to question on what basis does any employer or other employees believe that they have the right to decide guilt and administer punishment of another employee regarding any issue outside of the actual field of employment?

Keven Spacey is one of the greatest actors of our age and for his own industry to treat him like a leper is a serious form of abuse in itself, utterly appalling example of political correctness gone way to far. We have institutions in place for investigating allegations, courts to decide guilt and dispense justice these are NOT functions that should be performed by self appointed kangaroo courts in the workplace or social media.

As the saying goes, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Robin Wright is a great actress and the chemistry between her and Kevin Spacey was incredible viewing but sadly the show deteriorated into a farce once that chemistry was lost and the show turned into some kind of perverse feminist activism vehicle. Such a shame.
  • markbeson10 November 2018
    Sorry Netflix. This show just ain't the same without Frank. Listening to Claire scream at everybody is so predictable.
  • Seasons 1-5 is 10/10

Season 6 made me give it 1/10. I understand the reason why, but the show just should've been canceled. Nice attempt, but horribly boring season. You remove the main character, and this is what you get. Bad.
  • Season 6 was absolute nonsense with typical Hollywood pandering to the left. Thank god this nitghmare of a season is over and there's no more. Kevin spacey made the 1st 5 seasons amazing.
    I am a huge fan of the show, but how disapointing is season 6. You can say of Kevin Spacey what you want, but the final season of House of Cards has proven that 1 man makes the show, season 6 was a wast of time. Lukely was I able to rip the bandaid of in one day, so I didn't need to spent weeks hoping that it would pick up again!
  • This is one of the best shows; excellent story, good script, exceptional acting by everyone, and good cinematography. The fifth season was a bit slow, but, what's disappointing is Spacey's departure (removal, rather) from the show. No matter how good the others were, Spacey is what made this show perfect. Without him, there is no way the show can survive. The series has ended for me.
  • I was fairly intrigued to see how it would work without Spacey, but rather unsurprisingly, it simply doesn't. For one reason or another most shows do go downhill a bit as they head into the final seasons, this one has nose dived off a cliff, and we all know the reason why. Whether or not the allegations against him prove true, one thing certainly is, Spacey was the life and soul of the show, it was his portrayal of Frank that kept us gripped, without him it simply doesn't work
  • I firmly believe that one of the major aspects of what makes House of Cards so good is the ability to watch all the episodes back-to-back with no commercials or programming schedules to get in the way. This small but hugely significant idea will be an industry game changer and I am certain that this is just the beginning

To me, the biggest advantage that this idea contributes to House of Cards is that it frees up significant time during episodes because it makes things like flashbacks or repeats of events almost completely redundant. There's simply no need for them because everything is so fresh in your mind, which leaves all that extra time for more story, more action, more conspiracy, more drama, more of the stuff that viewers really want to see. However it must be said that it does take a few episodes to get used to this, and you have to be really switched on and completely focused to ensure you don't miss a beat, because you really will pay a price if you do because what's said is never repeated, only referenced further down the track

As for the show itself, I can't sum it up any better than by saying it's incredibly good to watch. The one aspect of the show I enjoy the most is the monologue, or removal of the fourth wall, between the viewer and Underwood. It's an incredibly effective method of storytelling as well as the expression of emotion or opinion, and Kevin Spacey does a superb job at pulling it off, along with every other aspect of his complex and intriguing character.

The quality of writing, directing, and storytelling is as good as you'll ever see on the best shows in the world right now. Underwood has a massive ship to steer, and it is fascinating watching how he does it, through manipulation, blackmail, greed and determination. Each and every character has a critical role to play - there's no characters you could cast aside as being irrelevant or unnecessary to the story. That is a very difficult feat to achieve, and House of Cards easily passes that test

If you're going to pioneer something, like Netflix have with how viewers can watch House of Cards, you have to do it well. Everything has to be perfect, otherwise it will flop. A top quality show in House of Cards coupled with the worlds best internet streaming service is a very very good place to start. Netflix and the House of Cards team deserve a huge round of applause for daring to go places where no one has gone before. The $100 million gamble has definitely paid off, and I cannot wait for more

Needless to say, House of Cards earns a 10/10 rating, and an absolute must-watch from me
  • I love spectacular TV-shows with amazing production values like Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead, but I have to say: although House of Cards has little interest in jaw-dropping images or gruesome make-up effects, it delivers just as many dark thrills to keep you glued to your seat as the action-heavy flagships of HBO and AMC. It's a testament to the writers', directors' and actors' talents that a show which mostly consists of people talking is as much a prime candidate for binge- watching as the shows I've mentioned before, so for those of you who haven't started watching it yet, be warned: House of Cards is highly addictive.

The show is based on the acclaimed BBC mini-series of the same name from 1990, but while the original show focused on the inner workings of British politics, the remake is entirely US based and concentrates on the rise of power-hungry congressman Francis Underwood who is played by Kevin Spacey. On the surface, the show might appear to be a political drama - which it certainly is - but it's also so much more than that. House of Cards combines a vast number of genres; it's a thriller, a love story, a black comedy and a satire - and a very interesting lesson in US politics, which, given creator Beau Willimon's profound knowledge on the subject (he used to work as a campaign aid for Hillary Clinton, Bill Bradley and Howard Dean), is probably a lot more accurate than what we would like to believe.

It's also worth mentioning that House of Cards was heavily inspired by certain works of William Shakespeare. The character of Francis Underwood is a combination of Richard III and Macbeth, and in true Shakespeare manner, he often addresses the audience directly to inform us of his evil schemes. As in the bard's two famous plays, the villain is also the protagonist and - to a certain degree - the person you root for. And what makes him so much fun and so compelling to watch here, is - of course - Kevin Spacey's performance. Spacey's portrayal of a charming but deadly predator is simply perfect; despite the character's obvious willingness to go to extreme lengths to get what he wants, Spacey always keeps him believable and avoids the temptation of making him appear like a caricature or as over-the-top as Richard III in the play. But many of his co-stars are just as impressive; some of them actually downright outshine the famous oscar-winner, and especially Robin Wright gives an amazing performance as Underwood's equally ambitious wife and partner in crime.

To sum up my overall impressions: Under the guidance of David Fincher (who serves as an executive producer on the show and also directed the first couple of episodes), Beau Willimon has developed one of the smartest and most entertaining TV-shows - with one of the most impressive casts - contemporary television has to offer. Highly recommended. 9 stars out of 10.

Favorite films: http://www.IMDb.com/list/mkjOKvqlSBs/

Lesser-Known Masterpieces: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070242495/

Favorite TV-Shows reviewed: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075552387/

Favorite Low-Budget and B-Movies: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls054808375/
  • House of cards just collapsed coz of its season 6.i really hate how Netflix try to push through with a female centered White House in there.
    Season 6 was a pathetic and sad ending to an otherwise amazingly well written show. I loved when Spacey turned and spoke directly to me. The character Francis Underwood indeed has something to tell me whereas Claire just regurgitated the script. I had to laugh a little because in a way art imitated life after all. Kevin Spacey must be laughing his butt off at how off the rails the show went. I can't wait to see Spacey in his next project! He won!!!
  • When I thought about Francis Urquhart of the original House of Cards series, I could not help but imagine Kevin Spacey in a way that was similar but a role of his own making. Spacey's role of Francis Underwood, in Netflix's original series, is nothing short of a tour de force. The convenience of being able to watch the whole season right away is also something to mention as a new, fresh and exciting method of television excellence. No longer do we have to wait and be fed slowly the episodes as we wonder what might happen and find ourselves somewhat disappointed -- now we can be swept away. And that's exactly what will happen to you when you sit down to watch this. 13/10.
    House of Cards.....I was drawn to this Netflix political drama because of David Fincher and Kevin Spacey. I've loved most of Fincher's work as a director and Spacey was fabulous in the three roles that I've seen him in. The series has some Fincher-esque qualities: the colour palette and grading and fine production standards. In the first season, it even has Fincher's strongest attributes: script and direction. It has spectacular photography, fine editing, good direction, and some great performances by Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright, Mahershala Ali, Kate Mara, Molly Parker and a few others. What weighs it down is Spacey's constant chitter-chatter with the viewers and the fact that the two main characters are so despicable. There seems to be nothing human about them. Frank is still okay when it comes to his relationship with Claire, but that softness isn't reciprocated. Showtime's 'BILLIONS' also lacks likable characters but they still make it fun because they are up against one another. Here, the viewer is expected to believe that hardly anyone can see through the scheming of the Underwoods and that most politicians are gullible as hell. The writing gets consistently poorer with each season. The first was a 9, the second a 7.5 and the third seems to have taken it lower to 7 in the first two episodes, only to drop it down to a 5 in the third, causing me to ditch the rest of the show. It drops almost like Walker's approval ratings. The series is also way too long. Could've been so much better as a mini-series. Watch it if you have plenty of patience and are willing to be slightly disappointed.
    I feel the Season 5 was all over the place. The high point being the first episode with Frank's speech to the Congress from where the season went to being dull, confusing and full of plot holes. During the speech which set a tone in the first episode where he says "I will not yield", I thought wow, this can only get better from here.

But It doesn't. On the contrary, throughout the season, Frank is seldom in-charge of the situation as he should have been, and was during S1 & S2. He is reacting to situations, rather than create those situations as we have often seen him do till Season 2 at least.

The season never peaked for me after Episode 1. Not to mention the Elysian fields and the political quagmire was unnecessary. Yes, it is a political drama, but in S5 there is so much of politics and it's complications, and less of drama.

Not to mention the new characters, Mark Usher and Jane Davis, have a better on screen presence and are depicted as stronger(and perhaps more manipulative)characters than the protagonists - Frank & Claire. Mark Usher is a convenient character introduced to explain plot twists and plot holes. There is a scene where during oath of presidency Mark Usher is on the edge of the screen waiving to the camera - just like Frank Underwood did during Walker's swearing in. And then Usher asks for the vice-presidency in the final episode. Is this how the House of cards will be brought down? Who knows. However, it does the series no good when the anti-hero everyone loves is just on the sidelines.

All that aside, the only other non-dull moment is Frank waiving his executive privilege and speaking out in front of the committee - and that comes in at E12 or 13. Even that turns out to be too little too late, specially when the speech abruptly ends leading to another uninteresting plot line. The speech in front of the committee is a perfect example of how the writers were out of ideas on how to use Frank Underwood to further the plot.

In season finale, I am left wondering, was all this really required to make Claire the President, which he could have done sooner without the uninteresting scheming and mess involved.

TBH, Kevin Spacey aka Frank Underwood, was and had been the strong point of this series - specially with him breaking the 4th wall - all along till S4(even though he was less so in S4). Let us be honest, Robin Wright can't break the fourth wall as effectively as Spacey does in his southern style and demeanour. Sadly, the directors/writers just chose to keep Spacey on the sidelines in S5, and that's for me is the major reason for dullness of S5.
  • Show was great first couple seasons, but as with many other shows, dragging out far too long for (ie Prison Break). Last 2 seasons turning into "seriously?!". It's turning into a bad Hollywood movie, but unfortunately unlike a movie it keeps going. Just gets boring and old. Wrap it up and make the Underwoods pay, otherwise you're just insulting our intelligence.
  • Fans of David Fincher and Kevin Spacey have been eagerly looking forward to House of Cards. Not only is this an opportunity to see an elite Hollywood director and actor take on a new medium, but it represents Netflix's first attempt at original programming (I guess Lilyhammer came first, but House of Cards is a much bigger investment for Netflix). The CEO of Netflix has said that House of Cards is meant to be a show on the quality level of the top cable stations, such as HBO, and the final product delivers on this promise.

House of Cards follows several characters involved in the political scene in Washington D.C., including politicians of various rank and influence (Kevin Spacey is a House Majority Whip in the House of Representatives) and an upcoming reporter played brilliantly by Kate Mara, who you may recognize from the first season of American Horror Story. The cast in uniformly excellent and thrives under Fincher's direction. Occasionally, Kevin Spacey's character will talk directly to the camera and offer some narration, which is the only area where the show stumbles, but it isn't too distracting. Speaking of Fincher's direction, it shouldn't come as any surprise to know that House of Cards looks great. The atmosphere is moody and resembles a tone somewhere between The Game and The Social Network. The music is equally good, complementing the mood of the show without becoming overbearing.

Being a political drama, one could be understandably weary of taking the plunge into a 13 episode season if they don't find politics interesting, but that shouldn't be a concern. The writing is sharp, engaging and clear, and the characters are interesting and well developed. The editing helps: it is tight and keeps the plot moving briskly, making the political intrigue both exciting and easy to follow.

Netflix has really created something impressive with House of Cards. When hearing that an online streaming service was creating an original show, some may have been concerned that it would be cheap looking and generally not on par with what AMC, FX, Showtime, and HBO are offering. Well, Netflix got some talented people and gave them the money to make something good, and the product speaks for itself. House of Cards comes highly recommended.
  • How do you go from 10 to zero in sixty seconds? Kevin Spacey WAS the show. You should have just cancelled if you wouldn't bring him back! So I guess he really wasn't acting after all?
  • Just watched the first episode. It is outstanding in every sense of the word. Fist of all I'd like to say, Kevin Spacey is amazing. He's not the dull politician we're used to seeing, he's a deeply written character with nuances to his actions and speaking. You can definitely see Fincher's style in the first episode, at least. It contains some of the similar themes he has tackled before in his film and adds to those. He crafts the story very tightly woven and complex. Kate Mara is also great, she adds to the list of modern Fincher characters. I love the points of satire in Spacey's character and some of the symbolism used. The show is outstanding in every aspect, unlike a lot of other political dramas on TV, can't wait to watch the next episodes.

Definitely a must watch for any fan of TV or Fincher or anyone interested in this.