User Reviews (421)

• This is comedy at its best: intelligent sense of humour, engaging plot, crispy dialogues and decent acting.

I have to thank the 20,000 petitioners that tried to have this show banned. Otherwise I might have missed it.
  • I had the luck to read the book only about a month ago, so I was truly prepared to be disappointed by the series. After all, doesn't everyone always say, "but the book is SO much better!"? Now, after seeing Good Omens put to life, I can say, watch and see Gaiman and Pratchett's words put to brilliant scene and life. Every actor, from Sheen to Tennant and on down are at the top of their game, and every scene and line is done to perfection. Wit, humor, sarcasm, wisdom, love and acceptance all run through these six episodes. Please watch this. It is a masterpiece.
  • 39 years ago I went to a SF convention in Birmingham, UK and, somehow, with a group of close friends, ended up having dinner with Neil Gaimen. During dinner he mentioned the new book he was writing with Terry Pratchett, called "Good Omens". He described it as "an apocalyptic story with comedic overtones". Several months later I was privileged to be at a small private reading of the book prior to its official release and ended up with a signed copy. I read it from cover to cover, many, many times and often wondered if a film would ever be made of it. I was worried that no-one would do it justice.

Tonight, I have just watched all six episodes and all I can say is "Wow". To make this as a film would have been a colossal mistake. To make it as a six part series was the best decision ever made.

The casting was inspirational. Adria Arjona as Anathema Device was brilliant. She matched the character perfectly. David Tenant and Michael Sheen as Crowley and Aziraphale were just inspirational and Jack Whitehall as Newton Pulsifer was brilliant. As for the rest of the cast, no-one could have done better.

The direction was awesome, the camera work was amazing and I loved how the the book's footnotes were worked into the script (bit of a trademark of Mr Pratchett).

Whether or not you will enjoy "Good Omens" depends on your sense of humour. If it leans towards slapstick or visual you may not. If it leans towards finding humour in dark situations you probably will. It also helps if you understand the trials and tribulations of driving on the M25, the London Orbital Motorway.

I will ask only one thing: Please, please, please, don't let anyone attempt to do a sequel.
  • I LOVED it!!! I read the book, Good Omens, when I was teenager (I'm now 35.) I remember thoroughly enjoying the book when I was younger, but I read so often then that a lot of stories ran together. Terry Pratchet has always been a favorite of mine, as well as Douglas Adams. You definitely get that "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" feeling in the narration of this series, for those unfamiliar with Pratchet's quirky humor style.

This adaption was BRILLIANTLY done! It's been 20 years since I read this book, and it was like watching the story come alive on screen. A very faithful adaption versus a tale that was just inspired by the source material.

The acting was amazing! David Tennant never disappoints! All the actors did well at bringing their characters to life. Sometimes this type of humor can be hard to pull off on screen (seems to translate, imo, better in writing), but it was handled flawlessly!

It's hard for me to say how those who are unfamiliar with the source material would take this series. I think it would be quite enjoyable with a fresh style of humor that's only done well occasionally. I recommend giving this series a go for sure!
  • Good job guys got the perfect balance of thrill and comedy combined
  • parkdobson31 May 2019
    Obviously I'm a a fan from the book or this wouldn't be posted already.

You can read or watch A Series of Unfortunate Events, or any of the other absurdist series out there. Nothing will touch Sir Terry and Neil Gaimen's ability to ground it in reality so firmly it leaves it a bit like visiting an amusement park. Clearly something amazing will happen, you just have to let go and enjoy the little things.

There are SO many little things...
  • After waiting eight months for this show to come out I can say that the wait was definitely worth it. The chemistry between the two main characters and actors is beautiful. Someone give this show a bafta already
  • Very different series about what it means to be human. Even for angels and demons stuck on the earthly plane. Very Gilliam-esque and very much a Pratchett story brought to glorious life.

I almost felt shades of Douglas Adams in this Six part series that has ONLY left me wanting more. Very strong 9 out of Ten. Brilliantly acted, scripted and filmed. Clever clever series nicely produced and packaged. David Tennnant and Michael Sheen were both particularly brilliant in their respective roles. Loved it.
  • If you're looking for a something new and witty, you've found it! Brilliant writing, tounge in cheek humor, and great acting. The show is self-aware enough to balance out its dark undertones in the script with light-hearted humor. If you were to combine the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" with C.S. Lewis's "Screwtape Letters", you would get this show. My new favorite
  • Just finished all the episodes and I have to say that as a Christian and Conservative I really liked the show. I was worried at first because the typical formula for Hollywood is don't offend anyone unless they are Christians or Conservatives...then you can have a field day and offend them all you want. But this show did not adhere to that Hollywood standard. There were even some made up Biblical twists that I found funny, interesting and thought provoking.

Michael Sheen and David Tennant are awesome actors by themselves but together they were perfect. They seemed to complement each other with their acting throughout the movie. They could not have picked two more perfect people IMHO.

The writing is superb. Not much needs to be said about the writing because when you have Neil Gaiman attached as the screenplay writer, not much can go wrong and nothing did.

I think the only question I would have after watching this show would be for Neil Gaiman and that would be "How many nipples do you have Mr. Gaiman?".

I was impressed with pretty much everything about this show. This is definitely something you will be glad you saw. No regrets here!
  • Just a decent show for me as someone who didn't read the book. I absolutely loved Crowley and Aziraphale and their relationship. I also quite liked all the other demons and angels. However I didn't like basically every other character and plot point. I found the antichrist himself super boring and his whole plot felt lame. Maybe I'm too tired of annoying chosen one kids saving the world, especially when the acting is nothing impressive and the shows idea of an interesting kid character is to have a kid ranting about the "patriarchy", ugh. Anathema and her boyfriend, don't even remember his name, also just felt pretty meh.

Every scene without the main duo just made me want them back on the screen asap. Basically, I would have enjoyed the show a lot more if the whole series was just what that first half of episode 3 was (flashback). I just wanted to see Crowley and Aziraphale being unlikely best bros for life and getting up to all sorts of hijinks together throughout history while trying to avoid the wrath of the angels and demons. 6/10 for me. Glad others enjoyed it more though.
  • First of all the show looks polished, Great effects and good story. Only just finished the first episode and I'm hooked, don't want to spoil it with detail but I will HIGHLY RECOMMEND giving it a go 👊
  • Good Omens is beautifully adapted from Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's classic fantasy novel. The cast is perfection, starting with the leads: Michael Sheen as the angel and David Tennant as the demon. They are the quintessential odd couple who find they have rather more in common than not as they try to save the world from the Apocalypse. All the supporting cast is brilliant, particularly Jon Hamm. Witty, silly, mischievous, absurd, and wise, the pacing is brisk, the plots intertwine, the climax comes, all is resolved, and you are left wanting more because you are sorry to say goodbye to these delightful characters and the crazy genius world created by the wonderful authors. Enjoy!
  • Firstly, the casting for this was nailed. Excellent story line that keeps you interested the entire time. I haven't seen a scene that I would have taken out. Fantastic series.
  • So, I've read Good Omens at least 10 times over my lifetime, and I can honestly say that this mini series does the book justice. The casting is just amazing, David Tennant and Michael Sheen are both brilliant, Adria Arjona was inspired casting for Anathema Device. Sergeant Shadwell was just as I imagined him. Really loved every minute of it, I was only sad that it ended.

It really does capture the spirit of the book. it's not often that an adaptation is this faithful to the source material, but this was really spot on.

Honestly I could watch Crowley and Aziraphale for another hundred hours. Just some fantastic moments between the two of them.
  • I've been a fan of Neil Gaiman's since high school, and I can honestly say Good Omens was one of my favorites. Not only did it introduce me to the wonderful writing of Terry Pratchett, but it was such an entertaining read I couldn't put it down.

This series was a better interpretation that I was expecting. It felt like reading the book again- including the little Easter eggs that refer to the footnotes in the book.

This is perfect. Terry Pratchett would approve. Thank you Neil for doing him and yourself justice.
  • Spectacular. I need more. Now. Not later. Now. Give it to me.

Your pal, Probably the A-C
    I thoroughly enjoyed watching all the episodes; the English possess a unique Mastery of dry subtle humor, and this is a perfect example of that trait.. All you have to do is remember The Benny Hill show, and you'll know what I mean...

The subject of this excursion into irreverency is the continuous struggle between good and evil, right and wrong, Armageddon and Heaven and Hell. What is striking is the background detail included in the scenes and dialog. It centers around a fallen angel and an equally rebellious demon, and how they interact with not only each other over thousands of years, but the average everyday people too. The dry, often witty humor inserted into the dialog is sometimes hard to follow for a 'Colonial' like myself, but my English heritage let me appreciate the fun that is imbedded into it.

Yes, Good Omens is irreverent all the way through; but it is also something else that is often lacking in today's series and movies...that is Entertainment!!
  • I have been waiting for this show and boy it did not disappoint! David Tennant, if you're reading this - you did an amazing job with Crowley, so much swag. Michael Sheen was just perfect! Love the humour and the tone of this series. The episodes were brilliantly written and turned into magic onscreen. Definitely worth a re-watch.
  • 10/10 The first episode: I started to look with a skeptical eye and then Boom blossomed a love after the 15-th minute! We all know that good and evil or apocalypse are topics that have been seen and reviewed at least one million times and it is very easy to become repetitive and banal BUT NOT THIS TIME! So, the intrigue for the start of apocalypse is good and denote a huge similitude with Adams Douglas stile (in a very good manner), the evolution of the sequence of events is fluid and engaging and when it's come to the end ... you just think "I, hope that there is a secon part!" :) 10/10 for the Writing 10/10 for the Cast 10/10 for a brilliant humor!
  • For once a book had been accurately put on screen. After years of good but slightly disappointing book adaptations a show has stayed true to it's scource material. Every time I would just be about to lament a pice missiing from the book it would suddenly appear on the screen😄. The only parts missed were either not that important to the story or had simply been updated. A truly exalent show.
  • skyfall-3340231 May 2019
    Great!?
    I'm only on Episode 1 but it is "Brilliant"! I'm a little confused though... it is supposed to come out tomorrow (31st Of May) but I'm able to watch it today. Early access I guess?!
  • joerice-9890224 June 2019
    Enjoyed thoroughly, from the writing to the production but especially the casting and their acting. The relationship between an angel and a demon over the timeline of our world's history is brilliant. Went into this with no expectations and came out rating it 10/10. Do yourself a favor and watch. Anyone with religious hang ups please check them at the door before watching/reviewing, after all it's entertainment in TV format, nothing more, nothing less.
  • I dunno. In spite of being of British drama/comedy enthusiast, this one just didn't do it for me. Felt a little like "We are the world" where every one of the actors in it are great in their own right, but put 'em all together for the sake of guaranteeing viewership, and you end up with a mediocre production. A bit too much cameo and not enough substance. And way 'over the top' for me. I don't think it was a bad idea or that it didn't have potential,it was just too in your face and tried too hard. Would have preferred a more subtle, sophisticated aproach.
  • imdave-17 June 2019
    I was really looking forward to this show but was very disappointed once I watched it. Maybe I was expecting too much. It just didn't seem to work for me. It felt like it didn't know what it wanted to be and just never got any of it right. Even the effects sometimes weren't too good. It never really told a story or made me care about any of the characters and it jumped around a lot without really creating a narrative that brought things together. Such a shame.