User Reviews (220)

• johnyysmith26 November 2017
    Made For Teenagers
    Only good thing to say was the production values. Keaton cashed in on a film beneath him. Hollywood wasted another book which could easily have been scripted far better, and been the basis of sequels.

Apparently all that is needed to find an international terrorist cell is hang around outside their bank. And then allow a hormone driven nearly man to punch anyone he wants and they spill the beans. Pathetic

Another grown up not going to the cinema for a while now. There is little else to add.
  • ernestpoirier14 September 2017
    Bad Movie even if you didn't read the Novel
    Let's start with those of us who are huge fans of Vince Flynn, and his numerous novels about Mitch Rapp. If you have read American Assassin, I highly warn you NOT TO SEE THIS MOVIE, as it will be a complete disappointment. The only similarities are: The title, the characters, and the fact that Stan Hurley bites a guy's ear off. The other 92% of the movie is pure Hollywood b/s. The movie only needs to use the book as a guide, and take the story off the pages and onto the big screen, and it's a blockbuster, but no - they can't do that. They have to hack and mutilate a great story by Vince Flynn, and twist so many things that it makes you feel like walking out of the theatre.

Now - let's say that you never read Vince Flynn's novel. I still would not recommend seeing this movie. The plot is sketchy at best. You have actors playing roles that they can't pull off (i.e. A french-man playing a Mossul agent). arggg. And then there is the second rate special effects / CGI. There is a particular scene near the end of a Navy Helicopter flying into the scene where Mitch Rapp has located the nuclear bomb (i.e. that's not part of the book either, and it's the premise for the movie)...but back to the chopper - it's obviously a special effect. Fast forward 10 minutes to the end, and the USS IKE (Aircraft Carrier) is in the ocean and there are waves crashing over it's deck. SOOO LAME.

Shame on the director, producer and anyone else who was responsible for butchering a phenomenal novel. I pray there isn't a part 2.
  • raymongracie23 November 2017
    This was probably the worst action movie I've ever seen.
    First off, the cliché (and continually repeated) line of "I've never seen anyone like this," inferring that this guy who has trained in martial arts and shooting for something like 18 months, was better than anything that these "experts" had seen in all their years of special/black ops was not only completely unrealistic, even in this fictional world but also not illustrated in the film itself, since the actor just couldn't pull off anywhere near adequate combat skills to show that he was anything even of moderate level ability. The implication seemed to be that he as just driven by "cold rage" and that this is what gave him his skills but all the fight scenes were edited to be close and so we never get to see him doing anything to show his hand/hand or knife combat skills.

Secondly, all the people at various levels of power had a very one-dimensional "I have dealt with everything and anything for years and don't have a drop of internal/emotional conflict" expressed either though their body language or language. Compare this with something like "Homeland" where all the characters are basically showing more and more how messed up they are inside because of what they've been through.

Third and this is just a personal gripe: Scott Adkins who is an incredibly skilled martial artists was completely wasted and watching "Mitch" take down "Yuri Boyka the greatest fighter in the world" was just heresy.

Fourth and probably most importantly, it was just a boring movie.
  • Leftbanker21 November 2017
    Good Movie...If You're 9 Years Old and Stupid
    Profoundly stupid and childish at every single step along the way. This was born from a pretty stupid book that was also childish and simple-minded.The book was a total rip-off of An Officer and a Gentleman to the point that I was surprised the author didn't lift the "steers and queers" line.

The story is so ridden with clichés it's like they used a Micro Soft boilerplate model for the script.

Butch-sounding name: Mitch Rapp. Check. Grizzly old vet training the new punk kid. Check.

Arab bad guys right out of an episode of Scooby Doo. Check. Lame martial arts scenes right out of a 9 year old kid's fantasy. Check.

Nothing at all felt real about this movie.
  • olibinigo17 September 2017
    Hollywood turkey
    Opening scene is expertly executed; the first 30 minutes up to the protagonist getting expert training from Keaton's character were also handled very well. From that point onward though, the film becomes tedious and clichéd. O'Brien does not have much screen presence though he obviously beefed up for this movie. To be honest, I never really cared for the characters. The lead character is noxious and annoying; the actor playing the rogue agent is also unconvincing and should be relegated to acting in sitcoms.

Also, for a movie with the title, you expect a lot of "assassinating" but that does not happen. Most activities in the film are about spying/ espionage work/ counter-terrorism so it should be renamed American Spy or American Special Ops Agent.

This is just a lazy rant as I got nothing better to do in the office.
  • larryorourke29 September 2017
    really bad movie
    I usually trust IMDb reviews until now. How anyone thinks this movie is anything but terrible, mustn't get out much..lol. I never read the book, never even knew there was a book so I'm reviewing as a movie. Firstly the lead o'brien was so mis-cast. He did not suit the part and went from looking like a normal dude to a steven segal and then back.. come on now, in the space of 10 minutes. The story and dialogue was so all over the shop i actually thought pieces were missing from the copy i had. I fell asleep twice and it took 3 attempts to watch it in its entirety. One of those that you want to finish to see what happens in the hope something will but you know in your heart it ain't gonna happen after minute 25... good points were not a badly made movie and of course keaton held the movie, great as usual.. but that's about it.. disappointed but the trailer is all you need.. or maybe the book.
  • grayjay118 September 2017
    Terrible Movie
    I have read all of the Mitch Rapp series, and loved them very much, so I was excited to go to American Assassin. What a disappointment! For one thing, Mitch Rapp was totally miscast, nothing like the many descriptions of him in the book. The story line was changed so much, from the way his fiancée was killed on to the rest of the events in the movie. What a letdown for us die-hard Mitch Rapp fans.
  • hollywoodhernandez-7086814 September 2017
    An action/thriller filled with espionage, intrigue and plenty of action
    American Assassin is an action/thriller filled with espionage, intrigue and plenty of action. Dylan O'Brien (The Maze Runner and MTV's Teen Wolf) plays C.I.A. trainee Mitch Rapp. You'll be amazed at the transformation of O'Brien as he buffs up to play the stone cold killer in American Assassin. The movie is based on the best selling novels of Vince Flynn and directed by Michael Cuesta, who also directs the TV series Homeland.

O'Brien's character, Mitch Rapp, becomes a lone wolf who is obsessed with revenge after terrorists kill his girlfriend while they are on vacation on a small island in the Mediterranean. He trains for a year in MMA and with weapons. He is so ruthless that he is kicked out of both his martial arts class and his weapons training class. His plans are to pose as an American who is sympathetic to the cause of Isis so he can get near enough to kill members of their terrorist cells.

While he's making his plans he also being watched by the C.I.A. and they extract him from his first mission in Libya and offer him a chance to be a part of a super secret and elite black ops team. Sanaa Lathan plays Irene Kennedy, a C.I.A. Deputy Director who is in charge of the black ops team and Michael Keaton (who looks fantastic at age 66) is a former Navy Seal who's in charge of training the team. As an ensemble the actors make for a very entertaining movie.

Keaton and his team travel all over the world to stop a terrorist plot between Russia and Iran to build a nuclear weapon. On the mission the team discovers a former black ops team member, only known as "Ghost", who is now a mercenary and is brokering the deal between the two countries. "Ghost", played by Taylor Kitsch (Friday Night Lights) is a former protegee of Keaton who's now seeking revenge against his former mentor and against The United States, a country who he feels betrayed him.

While the cast is strong, it's O'Brien who carries the movie. He's on par with any former actor who's played James Bond except, unlike the Bond characters, he doesn't play his part with any humor or sarcasm. He plays it full out serious. He's a man obsessed with violence and killing, which makes for a very bloody and intense movie.

American Assassin is rated a very strong "R" for violence and it has a run time of 1 hour and 51 minutes. It will keep you enthralled and on the edge of your seat from start to finish. On my "Hollywood Popcorn Scale" I rate American Assassin a JUMBO.

Hollywood Hernandez
  • OneEightNine Media2 November 2017
    You know a movie bites when the extras are looking directly at the camera in the background
    I scored free tickets to this which is a good thing because I walked out after an hour because I was dozing off. Before that, it was a struggle to stay awake or interested. This is just a super generic film we have seen a million times before but the worst thing is that the action isn't even good. Tons of jump cuts, shaky-cam and annoying close-ups. Plus this film is laughably directed. There is even one scene where two people are talking while eating outside of a cafe and this lady in the background just keeps looking at them as she walks by; I'm guessing this film went super cheap and just shot some scenes out in public without using extras as background people. This should have never gotten screen time, big or small. It is just lame.
  • khendekci23 November 2017
    great movie
    When someone makes a movie about your country you can see how clumsy and stupid they are. Full of mistakes and I just dropped watching it. 1)Plates of the cars, it is not like that. 2)You cannot see MP within the city, it is not their responsibility. 3)In America you may do it like that but in Turkey MP and/or police do not guard gun dealers. etc, etc,...
  • tesujiaji13 November 2017
    Hollywood takes a good book, and turns out a bad movie.
    First off, the good. Michael Keaton does a great job in his role. AND (for 2 seconds) - has the only scene taken from the book the movie is based on. It goes downhill from there. Vince Flint wrote a series that was best seller. If the script manglers get their money back out this picture I will be surprised. If they can come up with a sequel, I will be shocked. Hollywood is unable to make a movie that the base fault of everything is not at the root - America. (At least not in action movies.) If you read any of the series this is NOT the direction that Mr. Flint took. The Jason Bourne movies were similar. Jason Bourne the book was after Carlos the Jackal, International terrorist. Jason Bourn the Movie was about America training killers to kill "innocent people".

If you have read Vince Flint's books, they are about killing terrorist. This movie is a generic revenge tale. Which of course is our own fault.

Sooooo If you are looking for another excuse to hate the CIA, or blame America, here's your flick. If you're looking for a Vince Flint movie this ain't it.
  • Kapten Video13 September 2017
    It's made of clichés but the result is pretty damn good!
    Boy (Dylan O'Brien) sees her fiancé killed in terrorist attack and vows bloody revenge. He becomes a CIA counterterrorism agent, training under the seasoned pro (Michael Keaton) whose past suddenly returns to haunt him. Also starring: Yousef 'Joe' Sweid, Sanaa Lathan, David Suchet, Taylor Kitsch, Shiva Negar. Along „Renegades", this is one of the good recent actioneers that has a risk of not finding an audience it deserves. Probably because everybody thinks that yeah, trailer ain't bad, but we've seen enough stuff like this. But wide release is actually around the corner yet, so let's hope for the best. „American Assassin" may have a very typical action thriller trailer, and it's true that the story is made of clichés mostly, but the result is actually very enjoyable. The action is bloody and satisfying, the actors are good and charming, and the characters are just interesting enough to make you care. Almost all of the spy or secret agent action movies I've seen do the mistake of being pretty watchable for the most part but ruining the end: * introducing too many surprise twists to explain the events (= lazy storytelling), * taking itself too seriously (= becoming increasingly dull or heavy- handed), * or favoring often seen tired (how many times have you seen a final shootout on the roof of the building while it's raining, for example?). „American Assassin" never drops the baton, or pacing for that matter, which makes it fresher than most of its ilk. Also, the movie wins greatly by having three cool but not that widely known male actors in leads, one of them older and two younger. Let's examine them one by one, shall we? Kitsch is surely one of the greatest American action stars still unrecognized by the wider audience. He's got the muscle, the looks, the charm – what's not to like? If only his part was bigger. This is the only sad thought I had when the movie ended. You remember Kitsch from „Friday Night Lights" series, HBO's „True Detective" season 2, „John Carter" (as John Carter), „Battleship", Oliver Stone's „Savages", and „The Lone Survivor". Still can't quite recall the face? Told you so. One of the unregonignized greats. Dylan O'Brien in the lead is a star of long-running „Teen Wolf" series and also appears in „The Maze Runner" trilogy. It's good to see him starring in a movie now, and he looks fit to kick ass too! I totally bought him as a young hero. And last but not the least, let's bow down to Michael Keaton, one of the more charismatic movie stars of 1980's and 1990's who's probably not that well-known anymore. But he has lost none of the charm. This measured performance of ruthless counterterrorism veteran is probably the most memorable thing in the movie overall. Maybe it's time for Keaton revival? He's appeared in quite good projects lately – „Birdman", „Spotlight", „The Founder". Playing Vulture in newest „Spider-Man" did not probably hurt either, at least not his bank account. All in all, this movie is one of the rare positive examples where tired and overused clichés find a new life thanks to committed movie makers – CIA, terrorists, trained to kill, nuclear threat, plutonium and all the other blah blah blah is not interesting just by itself anymore. The young hero of „American Assassin" is actually the central character of so far 15 popular political thriller novels, so with any future commercial success, we may have witnessed a birth of a new action man who is interesting enough to compete with Jason Bourne, Jack Ryan, or the others. Director Michael Cuesta is also known for 2011's „Roadie" and 2014's „Kill the Messenger", look them up, both are interesting. So what if the movie is not exactly original? It's watchable and fresh, and the explosive ending is a joy to witness!
  • briancseel18 January 2018
    Someone Turn Mitch Rapp Loose on Whoever Wrote This Script
    Imagine, a popular series of action novels that have sold over 15 million copies that Hollywood feels pressure to option the film rights for. But the novels take, shall we say a conservative world view, and Hollywood doesn't really want to make the movie. So they sit on the rights for years until they are about to expire and then a bean counter prods them to get cameras rolling so they don't lose their investment. Throw in a need for meaningless diversity in casting and there you go.

This is the movie that you get when you follow that process. What's really scary, there are 4 names attached to the screenwriting for this movie. You would think with 4 people in the room somebody could have come up with a better idea than this.

I am a huge fan of the Vince Flynn novels and this could have well been a new action franchise for Hollywood. Their first mistake was trying to jam origin story together with another stand alone book (or books - I've read the series and this plot is a hodgepodge of multiple titles). They had ZERO room for character development. However much you care about Mitch Rapp before you see the film is exactly how much you will care AFTER you see the film.

Without character development the film becomes a 105 minute hodge podge of random action sequences. Only because I have read the books could I fill in the blanks. The second mistake was introducing important characters like Thomas Stansfield or Dr. Frank that you had ZERO time to develop. You don't care about anyone in this movie and if you haven't read the books I am pretty sure that most of the time you have no idea what is going on.

They got the casting half right. Dylan O'Brien is a good choice as Mitch Rapp and if he had been given ANYTHING to work with might have been able to craft an interesting character. Micheal Keaton is close as Stan Hurley, and he does his best, although Bruce Willis (who was interested in the role at one point) would have been a better choice.

But Irene Kennedy reads in the book like a Gwynneth Paltrow role and they cast an African-American actress who can't pull it off. Thomas Stansfield should have been Donald Sutherland, slam dunk, and instead they cast a shorter, younger, more ethnic actor. That is probably irrelevant since they did nothing with the character.

From there you are clear on Mitch Rapp's motivation (to kill terrorists) and not much else. Bizarre training sequences are rushed through so we can get Rapp into the field. Unfortunately the case he is working on is not much clearer, nor do we fully understand who is in his posse (she seems like CIA, but then she is working for the Iranians, but not the bad Iranians, and then she is dead).

There are daylight assaults (because we can't afford to shoot at night), unexplained locations (are we under a high school?), shoddy spy craft, etc. A terrible movie and it is sad Hollywood will use the poor box office results to justify walking away from a great series of books. The reality is they mailed it in and tanked this because they didn't like the politics.
  • etiennestories15 September 2017
    Good, even if it didn't follow the book
    Other than the names of the central characters, this movie bears only passing resemblance to the book. That being said, it works, most of the time. Mitch Rapp is totally believable. Michael Keaton is in darn good shape for a man his age, and his character is believable.

It's too bad that the producers bowed to the cancer of political correctness and made Irene Kennedy black. That was so out of keeping with the Mitch Rapp books. Shame on Hollywood for bowing to pressure.

All in all, the movie was worth the price of the ticket, and I only hope it does well enough at the box office to ensure that the series continues.
  • goodtime-336-7408113 September 2017
    Starts strong but fades by the end.
    This movie could have been much more but instead, due to a nonsensical climax, it is just another Hollywood very average effort. And they wonder why box office takings are down these last couple of years. The story line starts out believable enough - terrorists attack that kills a loved one and a survivor looking for revenge. Formulaic but watchable. The CIA, as usual in US movies of this type, appear far more successful in surveillance and covert action than is often the case in real life. The cast are OK and handle their roles well for the most part, putting aside the usual cliché or three re CIA/Special ops agents in the field. I found the movie acceptable right up to the ending where the bad guy sets out to Nuke the US Fleet. Nothing about that part of the story line was in the least bit believable. It may well have played out much better in the original book upon which the movie was based but fails miserably here. A wasted $20. Better value waiting for the movie to hit your movie streaming site of choice.
  • thechair13 September 2017
    Junk of the lowest order
    Wow! I didn't think they made them like this anymore. Went to a special preview to see this, or rather had one inflicted upon me. I have rarely sat through such poorly-written, uninteresting garbage. The action is mediocre. The plot, such as it is, includes not one surprise in its entire length, especially where depicting most foreigners and their governments as suspect at best, murderous terrorists at every other time. The script is so clunky it feels as if no line was aimed higher than an 8 year-old's intellect. "I know what it's like to lose someone," comforts one character. "His scores are off the charts - I think he's ready," sounds another. Wow, they really stretched for the thesaurus on that one. Bargain basement stuff. What Michael Keaton, someone who has recently regained such cultural cache, is doing in something so crassly derivative is beyond me. This is Taken for the Trump era, refitted without the charm of that film or the presence of someone like Neeson to carry it off. Should be one star. The second is for the effects team, who pull off an entertaining explosion at one point. Lord knows, there was nothing else to excite.
  • traveler58228 November 2017
    Dumbest movie
    I can't believe Michael Keaton or Sanaa Latham did this junk movie. Typical Hollywood propaganda: arabs/muslims are the bad guys, Iran is the bad guy country and of course it wants to do away with poor israel. But together the CIA and of course mossad will solve the world's problems... Stupid gun fights, martial arts and special effects. And Michael Cuesta as director, what a waste. Don't waste your time with this trash
  • mharah28 September 2017
    Dylan O'Brien has found his franchise
    Books are NOT movies. This needs to be said over and over, because there is always a cabal of complainers who hate any movie that doesn't faithfully follow its hardcover source. I haven't read Vince Flynn's American Assassin, and I don't intend to. But I feel fairly confident that he wasn't writing a movie. American Assassin (the movie) is a film-telling of the original story; it is NOT the original story, and it doesn't pretend to be. (Memo to Vince Flynn fanatics: Don't go see it.) American Assassin is a terrific watch, if for no other reason than seeing Dylan O'Brien nail it. And he is well aided by his supporting cast, most especially Michael Keaton, Taylor Kitsch and Saana Lathan. (I would like to have included Shiva Negar, but her character is severely compromised by problematic writing. She did the best she could with what she was given.) The script is larded with clichés, but for the most part the actors make good use of them. Director Michael Cuesta keeps it all moving right along. Most of the characters are very thinly drawn, leaving the actors to flesh them out as best they can. The special effects range from absent entirely to overdone. The script itself lurches from event to event, with an ending that goes beyond credulity. None of this matters. Dylan O'Brien is on screen ninety percent of the time, and his character is spot on. He is totally in command, and his charisma is entirely in charge. For a movie such as American Assassin, that's what it is all about.
  • steve beard15 September 2017
    Hopefully, Start Of A New Franchise
    I saw "American Assassin", starring Dylan O'Brien-Teen Wolf_tv, the Maze Runner movies; Sanaa Lathan-Now You See Me 2, AVP:Alien vs. Predator; Taylor Kitsch-Lone Survivor, Snakes on a Plane and Michael Keaton-Spider-Man:Homecoming, The Other Guys.

This is a spy thriller based on a series of books written by Vince Flynn, who died in 2013. He wrote about 15 books covering the adventures of his hero, Mitch Rapp, so this could be the beginning of a new franchise-it certainly ends as if there will be more. Dylan plays Mitch, a 23 year old man that looses his girlfriend to a senseless terrorist attack-they almost kill him, too. Dylan goes single- mindfully into studying martial arts-he goes to MMA classes-and weapons training-all kinds of firearms. He tracks down the responsible parties but almost gets himself killed. Luckily, the CIA bails him out and Sanaa-the lead agent-sees potential in Dylan and sends him to get some intensive training from Michael. His first black ops mission is to stop some very bad people from starting a nuclear war in the Middle East. Oh yeah, the guy calling the shots for the very bad people is called the Ghost and he was a former protégé of Micheal's, so he is kind of a bad-ass. He is played by Taylor. There is lots of action and some great fight scenes. It's rated "R" for violence, torture scenes, language and sexual content-brief nudity-and has a running time of 1 hour & 51 minutes. I'm a big spy fan-Bond is my favorite-and this is a pretty good start for a new franchise-Hopefully! I really enjoyed it and would buy it on Blu-Ray.
  • cruise0115 September 2017
    Plenty of action and thrills to keep you entertained in a espionage thriller.
    American Assassin is an action packed esponiage thriller that never slows down and even shows that Dylan O'Brien can take on a stone cold killer role. I was very impressed with the movie.

Mitch (Dylan O'Brien) was on a Mediterranean trip with his girlfriend, which he proposes on the beach. Until, a group of terrorists attack on the beach by shooting at every civilian they see. Mitch witnesses his girlfriend getting killed in the attack. A year or so later, Mitch highly trained himself to go on a vengeance after the terrorists that killed his girlfriend. He trained himself through MMA classes until he gets kicked out for being brutal to the other opponent. He is skilled with weaponry at a shoot range until he loses it and walks into the shooting range. And he has a lead to the terrorists responsible. Only to be followed and captured by the CIA. Who tends to recruit him led by Stan (Michael Keaton). While they are on a mission trail in hunting a terrorist that has stolen nuclear material which traces back to a rogue agent named Ghost (Taylor Kitsch). Mitch will stop at nothing to eliminate the threat even if it requires him to disobey his orders.

American Assassin is that type of action film that entertains with putting the main character into a revengeful path. It may not be a memorable plot or worth mentioning. But it is exciting to see a gritty, brutal Dylan O'Brien taking out bad guys. I wont be surprised if this will be his franchise just like there are other spy action movies like Bond or Jason Bourne. The action sequences are brutal; the fight scenes are quick and gritty. Mitch Rapp never holding back in letting a bad guy escape. It is fun to see Dylan O'Brien going through several action set pieces in trying to stop the villain from setting off a nuclear bomb.

Dylan O'Brien may have found his calling in an action franchise. I am glad he did instead of being stuck in the Teen Wolf series. And growing up to be a brute mean machine as a stone cold killer. He is good as an action star and as well as in the Maze Runner movies. Michael Keaton was also good as Mitch Rapp's trainer into the CIA. Sanaa Lathan was also good as Irene, who sees Mitch as a good potential in there team. Taylor Kitsch was good as the villain, who was once in the marines and went rogue against what he stood for.

Like all else, the plot is forgettable. It is kind of an origin story with Mitch Rapp going on a brute path in finding bad guys on his own until he gets recruited. I am sure this plot has been done too many times in other spy action movies. Were the main hero goes in every set piece trying to track down were the bomb is. Or where the bad guy is. And the villain is a rogue agent. I am sure, there are some Jack Ryan movies that may have been similar.

Overall, American Assassin is a really good film. There is plenty of shoot them up action and brutal fight sequences with Dylan O'Brien taking on an action hero role. It definitely is a great start to a franchise, if this was a success. Sure, the plot may have its flaws of being similar or nothing memorable. But it's just pure action packed entertainment.

I rate the film 4.5 out of 5 stars.
  • Bud Donahue20 September 2017
    A Really Bad Movie...
    Save your money... Unless, of course you are 14, or your brain is 14... Even the good deal I got on popcorn wasn't worth the trip, or the time, or the bother... See the movie, or eat a Pepsi bottle, plastic or a glass one - it's a toss-up... I vote for the glass bottle...

I could go on, but what's the point? If you haven't got it figured out now, fuhgeddabboudit...

Bless...
  • phanthinga26 November 2017
    Don't live up to the hype
    American Assassin is the first R-rated movie starring Dylan O'Brien and as much as i love Dylan when he try to pull out a very different role than the usual shy dorky guy American Assassin still a very genetic action thriller.There some bloody action and Michael Keaton acting crazy like he just fresh out of The Vulture from Spiderman Homecoming but other than that i'm sure disappointed with it
  • mickanick-9171915 September 2017
    Birth of an Assassin
    A fun action movie with a top-notch turn by Dylan O'Brien as young Mitch Rapp.

O'Brien's handling of the character's emotional arc supported the sometimes thin plot and occasional dialog clunkers. Michael Keaton was amazing in his first action film roll and was intense and believable as a former Navy S.E.A.L. and infamous Covert Ops team leader. Shiva Negar, who plays Rapp's counterpart, Annika, was the surprise of the film and came across as believable and amazingly competent at her job. Sanaa Lathan and Taylor Kitch also did a great job with with what they were given, but, unfortunately, they were saddled with the majority of the aforementioned clunkers.

This movie would have gotten a 10-star rating from me if the pacing had been consistently tight all the way through and the dialog had been sharper. These are all highly intelligent, highly trained people whose words should be as quick and deadly as they are.

The great cast and intense action sequences still made this a winner for me despite my quibbles, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. If you want an action film to squeeze in between Horror and Super Hero movies, American Assassin will fit the bill nicely.
  • marktiras-718-27280015 September 2017
    I would give it a B- or C+
    I have read all of the Mitch Rapp books. This is basically the story, although modernized. This book was written after probably 10 books of Mitch Rapp. Yes, it could have been better, but I do not think it was bad either. I enjoyed it. Probably less budget cutting would have produced a better entry to the books, but still worth seeing. Do hope they will produce more. Time & $$$ & we will see.
  • jvlstemmy10 February 2018
    Buy, rent or never watch?
    American Assassin is a surprisingly good Action Flick with great performances, music, visual effects and stunt choreography all used to great affect. I originally saw the trailer and it had interested me so I recently purchased the movie blindly, then checked out how the movie reviewed. Much to my dismay the reviews were incredibly poor and I almost returned the unopened box. Thankfully I was lazy and decided to stay home and watch it anyways because it is one of the most entertaining action thrillers I have seen lately. The poor reviews seem to be done by people who haven't watched the film, but what I recommend is watching the trailer and if it looks good, then rent it. If you are a fan of Michael Keaton, or Taylor Kitch then this is a Buy. Both give great performances, and work well together. I was impressed with the dynamic represented in the film of the duality between a veteran soldier who still serves his country, and of a vet who becomes warped from his tours of duty. "America makes Monsters" as the disturbed vet states in the film and it is the conflict between the two perspectives that crafts such an excellent film. The entire cast performs well and the fact of the matter is, the attention to detail and the respect given here is a real treat for those who have the eye for it. Weapon handling is done well, combat roles by extras and others are portrayed seriously without the wisecracking horse play commonly found in movies nowadays. The movie also crosses lines where many other films are not willing to go, playing on your expectations and keeping you engaged. I hope this review is helpful, and if you decide to check out the film, I hope you enjoy it. I sure as hell did