User Reviews (71)

• I have so much to say about this gem that I'm not sure where to start from. Let me just say that as soon as I heard Gutav Mahler's Adagietto coming out of the Hollywood Bowl while the young virginal couple sit in the car facing the moon, I was transported to Venice, the Venice of Luchino Visconti in Death in Venice. Throughout the film Mahler's Adagietto kept magically coming back so, for me, that's the film. Art and commerce, too much and too little, life and death. Warren Beatty, writer, director, producer also stars as Howard Hughes, a character who's lived in Warren Beatty's mind for decades. He moved me. It was clear why Hughes was a character that could allow Beatty to talk about very personal things without having to do it in first person. - Mia Farrow told Michael Caine between takes in Hannah And Her Sisters: "Woody is telling me things through you" - Here Warren Beatty is telling us things about him through Howard Hughes. A mass of contradictions that can only be explained in the heart and mind of an artist. I'm already a huge fan of Alden Ehrenreich right from Tetro and here he is wonderful, tender and real. Lily Collins is new to me but Annette Bening, well Annette Bening reminded me in her few minutes on the screen that she is one of the greatest actresses we've got. Death in Venice and the last image of Howard Hughes left me with a knot in my throat. I will certainly see it again, just as sure that Rules Don't Apply will be rediscovered in years to come.
  • fanaticusanonymous12 September 2017
    I love Warren Beatty, I always have. First time I saw him in a movie was in Bonnie and Clyde. For me his name had something magic. Splendor In The Grass, The Roman Spring Of Mrs. Stone, Lilith. The beauty of the man didn't seem to interfere with the character he was playing, remember All Fall Down? I waited for Rules Don't Apply with feverish anticipation, like I haven't waited for a movie since I was a kid. I sat through it for the first time, amused, surprised and delighted. But a few hours later the film started unreeling in my mind. Candice Bergen? Did I see Candice Bergen playing a secretary, handing papers, standing in the background, staring at the TV, on the phone? No, it couldn't be. Candice Bergen for goodness sake, an American icon. The thought muddled my memory of the film. I saw Rules Don't Apply again last night. Yes, it was Candice Bergen. Wow! What one will do for friends. On a second viewing I saw it as an unsentimental valentine to what it was, with a hopeful wonderous future beyond us way beyond us. I'll see it again soon and see what happens. Cheers Mr Beatty.
  • Without a doubt, Howard Hughes was one of the most eccentric and enigmatic figures of the 20th century. A billionaire who went into the movie business, he left his mark on a number of industries. Martin Scorsese focused on part of Hughes's career with "The Aviator". Now Warren Beatty does so with "Rules Don't Apply". This one looks at a relationship between one of Hughes's starlets and her driver in the 1950s. It's not a great movie, but infinitely better than Beatty's last movie, the crime against humanity "Town & Country" (which rivaled Woody Allen's worst movie "Everyone Says I Love You" in being an obnoxious fetishization of neurotic New Yorkers having affairs with each other).

The only thing that drags this movie down is the appearance of two people: Steve Mnuchin (as a banker) and Louise Linton (as a potential starlet). They're now husband and wife. He's Treasury Secretary, while she Instagrammed a photo of herself and tagged the designers, and proceeded to make a let-them-eat-cake remark when a woman criticized her use of a government plane for travel (this was after she published a book purporting to tell of a year that she spent in Zambia, but the entire nation of Zambia disdained it as a promotion of the white savior trope).

Anyway, it's a good movie otherwise. Aside from Beatty, it stars Lily Collins, Annette Bening, Martin Sheen, Alec Baldwin, Matthew Broderick, Candice Bergen, Dabney Coleman and Ed Harris. To put that another way, it stars Clyde Barrow, Snow White, Carolyn Burnham, Capt. Willard, Jack Ryan, Ferris Bueller, Murphy Brown, a creepy boss and Jackson Pollock.
  • Hellmant30 November 2016
    'RULES DON'T APPLY': Four Stars (Out of Five)

The new comedy-drama-romance from writer/director/star Warren Beatty; Beatty hasn't directed (or written) a film since 1998's 'BULWORTH', and he hasn't starred in a movie since 2001's 'TOWN & COUNTRY'. In this film he plays the very eccentric, and extremely mentally ill, billionaire Howard Hughes. The movie tells the story of an aspiring young actress, and her driver (who both work for Hughes), that begin a forbidden love affair (forbidden by Hughes). Beatty directed the film and co-wrote it, with Bo Goldman (who also co-wrote such epic dramas as'ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST' and 'SCENT OF A WOMAN'). The movie also costars Alden Ehrenreich (the new Han Solo), Lily Collins, Matthew Broderick, Annette Bening, Haley Bennett, Candice Bergen, Alec Baldwin, Oliver Platt and Martin Sheen. It's received mixed reviews from critics, and it bombed at the Box Office. I liked it though.

Marla Mabrey (Collins) was an aspiring actress, that moved to Hollywood (in 1958) to work for Howard Hughes (Beatty). Mabrey was a devout baptist, from Virginia, that had never done so much as have a drink of alcohol, or engage in premarital sex. She was accompanied by her strict mother, Lucy (Bening). Right away Mabrey and her driver, Frank Forbes (Ehrenreich), are immediately attracted to each other. Frank has a fiancé though, and an affair between the two is strictly prohibited (by their employer, Hughes). Hughes' bizarre quirks, and severe mental struggles, also cause challenges for their relationship.

The movie is pretty interesting, and quite entertaining, at first; then it loses it's way a little, but it does come to a pretty satisfying conclusion. The performances are all good, especially Beatty in the lead; Ehrenreich and Bennett (two very promising up- and-coming actors, that I really like right now) are also good, but severely underused. Beatty's direction is adequate enough, but the script definitely could have used a few more rewrites. I still found the film to be mostly amusing, and somewhat interesting. Howard Hughes was a very fascinating person though, that deserves a much better movie ('THE AVIATOR' was much better).

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M9osPwjfbM
    *Minor Spoilers Ahead* We get a brief scene to begin in 1964 where Howard Hughes (Warren Beatty) is confined to a bed in a hotel. His handlers Frank Forbes (Alden Ehrenreich), Levar Mathis (Matthew Broderick) and Nadine Henly (Candice Bergen) wait for him to respond to some false allegations. A biography of Howard has been written with some outlandish and scandalous claims and T.V. personalities are waiting by a phone for his response.

We then go back to 1958 and we are properly introduced to Marla Mabry (Lily Collins) and Frank Forbes. We also get to meet Marla's inquisitive mother Lucy (Annette Benning). They're both excited, prospects for Marla's future look bright but Howard's reputation precedes him. Frank has his own agenda for being in Hughes' employ (Frank wants to pitch him on a potentially lucrative real estate deal) but he's yet to meet him as well. Frank is just working as a driver right now but he's hoping to move up. Unbeknownst to either of them, although Howard is very protective of the actresses in his employ, he doesn't have much time for them. He's got his own problems and with his declining mental state, they're not going to be solved overnight.

Before I get into my critical thoughts on the plot, I'd like to say that the movie looks really good. I think everyone likes to take that nostalgic trip back to the golden years of Hollywood and the film definitely accomplishes that. The sets, the costuming and the cinematography are all really nice considering the film was made on a relatively tight budget ($25 million).

While the movie looks great, I would clarify that it's being advertised wrong. If you watch the trailer, it looks like a romantic comedy with Hughes as a supporting character. This movie is more of a drama with comedic bits sprinkled in. The movie flip flops on its tone severely, it looks like its setting up a romantic comedy and then that will just get thrown to the side for an entire act of drama. It becomes Hughes vs. the rest of the world for an entire hour. I wish it had just picked one because the seeds were planted for a really solid movie either way but sadly they couldn't.

What really saves this movie from itself is the performances from the actors and actresses. I have problems with how Warren Beatty wrote and directed this movie but he knocked it out of the park with his portrayal of Howard Hughes. Howard was a little before my time so I don't have any memories of him to point to but from how he was described to me, Beatty nailed all his eccentricities and the natural duplicity of his personality. I could have watched a movie with just him at the centre. This movie also cemented how talented both Lily Collins and Alden Ehrenreich are. Collins was the standout of the two for me but they both really helped make their characters interesting when the writing failed them. Its easy to see why Ehrenreich is on his way to bigger things and hopefully Collins will get that chance. There are lots of big actors in small parts (Ed Harris, Steve Coogan, Candice Bergen, Martin Sheen, Hayley Bennett etc.) and they all do their jobs well. Matthew Broderick isn't in the movie as much as I expected and while he's fine, he's the one who suffers the most for the film's choppy editing.

I liked most of the characters that were included in the movie. Marla and Frank are easy to like both on their own and with each other. Collins and Ehrenreich's chemistry helps that along as well. They're both very straight-laced and proper but they're both eager to shed their respective skins. You also see why Hughes seemed to have a magnetism where people are just drawn to him. I would have been cool if Marla and Frank were the centre of the movie because they are interesting. Or the movie could have been about Howard's descent into his mental illness and that would have been great. The problem is the movie refuses to pick between the two and while I appreciate the ambition to have it all, they failed to execute that plan. I couldn't believe how poorly this movie was edited together on top of that. The transition from scene to scene is beyond rough and it was jarring more often than not.

Rules Don't Apply doesn't add up to the sum of its parts. That might seem like an oversimplification but that's really how I feel about the movie. You have great performances, great scenery and set dressing and characters you want to follow. Its too bad someone almost ruined the film by hacking it up in the editing room. They really swung for the fences but unfortunately they couldn't land the plane. I did kind of like the movie overall and for its good aspects I'll give it a 6/10.
  • Rules Don't Apply is a showbiz comedy about two star-crossed lovers. But it might just as well be director, producer and star Warren Beatty's mantra. Every so often the man steps out of whatever dimly lit bungalow he lives in and comes out with a big, bold project that stands quixotically and defiantly against the mores of the time. Reds (1981) grated harshly against the easy money proclivities of the Reagan Era while Dick Tracy (1990) looked backwards through the pulpy pages of loose leaf Americana while we looked on towards a post-communist world. Bulworth (1998), arguably Beatty's most radical film ripped off the facade of the yuppie, blue dog Clinton administration, revealing deep fissures between white liberals and the dreams differed of black Americans (albeit as told through the coddled, tone-deaf worldview of a limousine liberal). Now with Rules Don't Apply, Beatty is in full navel-gazing mode, making a movie so thematically simple that it's conventionality is its own form of radicalism.

The film details the brief stint in La La Land of one Marla Mabrey (Collins), the recently crowned Apple Blossom Queen and new RKO starlet on-call. She arrives fresh-faced from Fresno and encounters naive company driver Frank Forbes (Ehrenreich) who, like Marla, hopes to meet their employer Howard Hughes (Beatty). Problem is, this is 1958 and Howard Hughes has not spoken to anyone outside of his close circle of confidants for years. Caught in a state of arrested development, Frank and Marla begin a chaste attraction which alters their futures in unexpected ways.

Beatty portrays Hughes as a full on Falstaffian character; full of wit and intelligence but far too reckless and in-his-own-head to be taken seriously. He fits himself ever so awkwardly into the center of the action, allowing an ensemble cast of A-listers to orbit around the chaos that Hughes creates. It's an interesting mess to be sure. Hughes is simultaneously the most interesting character in the entire movie and the broadest; less a person than an event like the sinking of the Titanic.

Lily Collins and Alden Ehrenreich simply can't hope to compete for attention and screen time, even if their pleasant mugs immediately bring to mind James Dean and the luminous Audrey Hepburn respectively. They make the most out of their piddly roles with Collins managing to warble the catchy old-fashion title song and make the whole scene seem relevant. Yet when compared to the exacerbated gasps of Annette Bening, Alec Baldwin, Oliver Platt, Steve Coogan and Matthew Broderick, our two lovers are completely washed out of the film's more interesting excesses.

And there are some pretty fun excesses. There are solid if low- hanging comedic setups, snappy dialogue and goofy sequences of frenetic action which would otherwise seem slight if not for the fact that comedies are straight-up never made like this anymore. They also keep the ball rolling, making sure everything makes sense without much dead air.

In a career spanning nearly seventy years, Warren Beatty is about the closest thing to Hollywood royalty you got still working today. If you ignore his filmography, and have the patience to sit through a few stale jokes, Rules Don't Apply is basically a lesser Cafe Society (2016). Yet considering Beatty's work is often ahead of its time, Rules Don't Apply is basically a 90's Ganz/Mandel comedy mimicking the sensibilities of the 30's taking place in the 50's starring a guy not relevant since the 80's.
  • With Warren Beatty's Rules Don't Apply, there may be some high expectations going in, and it's not because people are looking so forward to finally seeing Alden Ehrenreich and Lily Collins in a (semi) romantic coupling (though they are equal parts charming and serious in this film, able to go to awkward comic moments and those Big Dramatic Confrontation Moments in ways that are wonderful and surprising and shows they have a good director at the helm).

And it's not even because people may be clamoring for another movie about the genius-cum-iconoclast-cum-megalomaniac Howard Hughes, since, well, we should have practically everything we'd need to see in Scorsese's The Aviator (which, by the way, these two movies share not only a couple of set pieces, at very different time periods in history, but Alec Baldwin too in a fairly important supporting role).

No, I know I expect more of Warren Beatty after an 18 year absence (lets forget Town & Country for now) and the biggest problem is that he had final cut and put something together that is 25% a choppily edited mess. Whether he cut down for time, I'm sure I don't know, though having *four* credited editors is never a great sign.

Having said this, however, it's also a case where the parts are better, more entertaining, more charming, more engaging, more... just MORE than the whole, and one of Beattys underrated gifts as an actor and director - off kilter comic timing and eccentricity - is on excellent display here. It's a genuine if somewhat flawed and all over the place romantic comedy with some genuinely moving overtones for being essentially about... Being kind to people.

If this is his swan song, it could've been worse.
    The movie greats should never grow old so they can use what they've learned to keep making swell movies for us like Rules Don't Apply.

Mr. Beatty is of course unique. He does it all and had time for enviable fun during his prolonged adolescence and now with his formidable spouse Annette Bening. They were easy and fun with one another at today's screening. Smart attractive very talented grownups. Yes, they still exist.

Rules Don't Apply is very funny, if you pay attention. Old Hollywood gets the shiv a bit but it's awfully nice to be back there. We luxuriate in vintage cars and clothes and 50s sexual puritanism. The leads are, as Mr. Beatty said today, honorable actors with integrity. Nothing cheap or careless. We root for Alden Ehrenreich and Lily Collins. Miss Bening is funny and tough as the ingenue's zealot Mom. A ton of familiar faces get their moment. Apparently they like to work for Mr. Beatty. His mind goes faster than almost anyone's making movies so it's fun and satisfying to be swept along by his brilliance. As I watch the world around me lowering its standards, I bask in the depth of talent and pure entertainment in Rules Don't Apply. More please.
    Mostly not about the familiar tale of Howard Hughes, really more about the chaos that the super-rich too often rain on those dogged souls around them. Nice writing, great dialogue, a real roller-coaster.

A situation is created in the first few minutes, and another at the one-hour mark, that are exceptionally well resolved in the last 15 minutes. That final arc, very cleverly plotted, with its perfect dialogue, every single word of it, and four slowly growing realizations, has had me watching it on the recorder half a dozen times. A small marvel.

Great to see Alec Baldwin and Ed Harris in small parts and Matthew Broderick in a bigger part. I've seen all three repeatedly on Broadway in some of the funnier roles created - Broderick in The Foreigner was THE funniest I've seen, period. Also Taissa Farmiga, recently very funny on Broadway (with Ed Harris) and almost unrecognizable here.

Thanks to Warren Beatty's kind writing, Alden Ehrenchreich and especially Lily Collins are the real stars of this movie.

They have the most screen-time and some impressively funny scenes, sad scenes, confused scenes, angry and mistrustful scenes, and (surprise surprise) in-love scenes.

Both have shown themselves wide-ranging previously in other roles. Alden Ehrenchreich really handled well the magic addressed against him in Beautiful Creatures.

Lily Collins (daughter of Phil Collins) as a fiery princess acted Julia Roberts and Nathan Lane into the shade in Mirror Mirror - her training to become a dwarf warrior is another scene worth multiple re-watches.

Her dark-eyed even look and confident voice and general lack of any fear have reminded some of a young Natalie Wood or Elizabeth Taylor. She would be so right if anyone ever makes another Ivanhoe. Especially a funny one.
  • cultfilmfan27 November 2016
    Warren Beatty, who I consider to be a true Hollywood legend and quite an icon, has always impressed me with his body of work. I have always admired him as an actor and maybe even more so as a writer/director. As many of you know, he has not directed a film since 1998's Bulworth and not acted in a film since Town and Country in 2001. Over the years there was always some talk about Beatty perhaps making a comeback film and emerge from the shadows and quietness of what at the time seemed to be almost like a retirement from the movie business for him. It had been speculated for years that he was planning on doing a film about Howard Hughes, and not only till a few years ago was the project actually green-lighted and news was that they had a cast and that Beatty would not only be starring in the film, but also having written the screenplay and was going to serve as director. This was very promising news to a fan like me because unfortunately I had never been able to see one of his films on the big screen, so I was hoping this one would be my first. The first trailer for the film emerged during the Summertime when you had your big budget films on display and while the trailer looked a little different than what Beatty has done before, I still felt that it looked like a film with promise and I was bound and determined to see it on the big screen when it arrived. Now as I am writing this, I have just come from a screening for his new film, Rules Don't Apply, and I must say that I was anticipating a light screwball comedy that would be more fun than anything else, but what I got was a film that will definitely be in my top 10 list by the end of the year and was another film that far exceeded all my expectations and turned out to be one of the year's best. The film's trailer truly did not do it justice and unfortunately a lot of the mainstream film critics are giving it average to mostly lukewarm ratings, which if I have to be honest, I don't truly understand and perhaps they saw a different film than I did. The other unfortunate thing is that Rules Don't Apply, is flopping at the box office and is going to lose the studio a lot of money much like Town and Country did back in 2001, which is why I initially thought that Beatty had retired from movies. Do not let any of this deter you whatsoever from seeing this great film though. I simply say this more as unfortunate news and to further add to the argument that what is popular and does well at the box office these days has no accounting for any artistic merit and what are sometimes fantastic films will unfortunately flop and not connect, or appeal to today's audiences. I think that alone is one of the key elements why this film is not doing well, simply because a millennial audience, who in a lot of ways controls what is big and what does well at the box office would simply not be able to connect with this film on any level. Many of those viewers would not know who Howard Hughes is, or really care for that matter and for a lot of them they unfortunately have probably never heard of Warren Beatty, or seen any of his films either. Also a period piece film that is far more intelligent than what the trailer would seem, would simply not appeal and go far beyond this audience's limited and sometimes unfortunately dull attention span. Luckily for anyone else who loves a good film, you are in for a real treat here. Beatty is back in full force delivering a brilliant performance that at times includes elements of a comedic nature, but also in a way he slyly pokes fun at Hughes and even his own past reputation as a playboy who was promiscuous and not altogether with what was going on. Beatty's Hughes is a man who clearly has done some very admirable things for his shareholders and business people, but as a man his values and what he stands for are not very reputable and also in some ways it could be argued that he may have early dementia, or something that is causing him to act and behave very strangely. The Howard Hughes story is interesting enough on it's own, but also as a bonus we are given a story just as interesting about two young people who are trying to make it in Hollywood, and how in a sense their personal beliefs, values and everything they stand for is ruined not only because of the Hollywood system, but also because of people like Hughes himself. The film has many laughs, but in an interesting contrast it also has darker elements that all balance out and work beautifully for the film. The film is far beyond entertaining and it also adds a fair bit of food for thought about one's actions and the role models and goals that we have and the things that can unfortunately cloud, or pollute them. This is the best ensemble cast performance I have seen this year and everybody is absolutely fantastic. Also the attention to details, costumes, makeup, music and the script and direction by Beatty is all top notch and among the year's best. I hope this does signal a comeback for Beatty because here he proves he still has so much talent to offer and I hope this will not be his last film, but many more will follow. One of the year's absolute best and a very misunderstood film.
  • Really hope in time I'll realize that I just missed something, but as much as I hate to say it, this was somewhat disappointing. Any Beatty film will certainly have much to praise, and this is no exception - looks great, sounds great, great acting from an incredible cast, many funny moments - but the story doesn't hold up to the superior levels of the other areas. Out of respect for not giving anything away, I'll be vague, but there are a couple of major plot points that are rather forced. I'll trust that the protagonist's eccentricities are accurate reflections, but by the end, I just didn't care and many moments felt more like eccentricity for the sake of eccentricity. I remain such a fan that not sure if I want people to agree with this review or convince me that I'm wrong. My apologies, Mr. Beatty. I'll see anything you make and hope this won't be your last, but overall I didn't find this whole equal to the sum of its parts.
  • I am glad this film is now out on DVD and pretty soon it will pop up on HBO. Now maybe the word of mouth will get out that this film is very good.

In this film Howard Hughes life is explored. It focuses on his life from around the late 1950's. It does not however focus in his life & death. In fact Howard Hughes death isn't covered at all.

In this film Small-town beauty queen and devout Baptist Marla Mabrey (Lily Collins), under contract to the infamous Howard Hughes (Warren Beatty), arrives in Los Angeles. At the airport, she meets her driver, Frank Forbes, only two weeks on the job and also from a religiously conservative background. Their instant attraction not only puts their religious convictions to the test but also defies Hughes' number one rule: no employee is allowed to have an intimate relationship with a contract actress.

Everyone gives an exceptional performance. Keep in mind this film is not made for the Comic Book Movie fan. This film is made for adults by Adults. Please if you like to see something good then watch them and give it a chance!
  • Johnny-1131 January 2017
    I'm surprised that Warren Beatty returned to directing after almost 20 years with another film about a disturbed man who is falling apart. Even more, why make another Howard Hughes film? You'd learn more about Hughes by watching the Tommy Lee Jones film or "The Aviator." Mr. Beatty was trying to be contemporary with the editing of the film (4 editors by the way) by cutting away from a scenes abruptly that were starting to get interesting.

The pace of the romance between the two lead characters was uneven and thus hard to believe. The costumes, production design, cinematography and much of the acting was great, but the narrative was confusing. There was a lot of interesting quirkiness and style, but because the point of view was scattered, it was hard to really get to know the characters.
    Or . . . maybe the truth is somewhere in between. The movie worked for me. It felt like ONE movie, not two as reviewer Alonso Duralde claimed. . . . it told stories of several characters all connected more or less. That doesn't make it two movies. The song of the same name is killer -- killer enough to bring the two main characters into a love embrace that crashes them to the floor still locked together. And they're throwing away their "careers" by kissing like that. How can people not love this??? But then things go awry for them almost by accident and partly by puritanical religious beliefs. (She thinks he's married because he once had sex). Anyway, I have to insert here: The Mathew Broderick character gets the Baptist joke mostly wrong. The opening goes, "Why do Babtists forbid you to have sex standing up?" The answer is: Because it might lead to dancing. Broderick says, "Do you know why Baptists think sex is bad?" IT IS WAY LESS FUNNY THAT WAY MATHEW. So I'm going to read more of the negative reviews and perhaps come back and counter any stupid arguments I find for why this movie isn't a great piece of movie-making. I cried in the end. I didn't think they would get another chance. Hooray! By the way, the rather sad classical musical theme throughout is my favorite: Gustav Mahler's 5th Symphony, Adagio movement It's on YouTube.(So is the new song: "Rules Don't Apply").
  • Rules Don't Apply (2016)

*** (out of 4)

Marla Mabrey (Lily Collins) arrives in Hollywood as a contract player for the one and only Howard Hughes (Warren Beatty) but before long she realizes all the weird stories she's heard about him are true. She strikes up a friendship with her driver Alden (Frank Forbes), although they can't take it any further due to Hughes' rules about his workers dating his future stars. Before long the two young people grow closer to each other as well as Hughes.

Isn't it shocking that it's been nearly twenty-years since Beatty wrote and directed a movie? It's even more shocking that it's been fifteen-years since he acted in one. There have been rumors of Beatty doing a Howard Hughes bio-pic for decades and it was rather shocking when news broke that he was finally making it. In another shocking turn, what people got certainly wasn't what they expected. I saw the movie six days after its release and it's already bombed with critics and at the box office. Sadly the picture just wasn't what people expected or wanted and who knows if this is the last time we see the legend on the big screen.

I must admit that it's rather shocking to see Beatty basically making an old-fashioned romantic comedy. I mean, he could have done that but why waste his Hughes bio on that type of movie? I want to say that I did enjoy the movie and I found it to be quite charming but at the same time you just have to wonder what was going on with this thing. The picture is certainly uneven to say the least. The first hour is basically the romantic side of the two young characters with Hughes basically a supporting player. The second half of the picture kicks up the drama and darker elements as the romantic couple take a back seat and Hughes gets the attention. I'm really not sure why they done the story this way but it seems like one or the other would have made for something better. Did I mention the strange sex/religion stuff going on?

As I said, once you get over the fact that this isn't the type of movie you're expecting, once you set back into your seat, what we get here is pretty good. I thought the romance actually worked in an old-fashioned type of way and there were certainly some great performances here. Both Collins and Forbes are terrific together. Both of them nail their characters and they also share a terrific chemistry with each other. Collins is really the stand out as she perfectly captures the innocence of her character. Beatty is also terrific in his supporting role. The first portion of the film has him doing a lot of great comic timing but Beatty gets to show his dramatic side in the second half with the character's troubles come into play. It really makes you wonder what he could have done in a straight bio. The supporting players feature some very well-known actors and all of them do a fine job.

RULES DON'T APPLY has some great cinematography, nice music selection and for the most part it's just a charming and fun film. Until the drama starts and then the drama works just fine as well. I just don't think the two mixed all that well and that's why the film seems uneven. Sadly, RULES DON'T APPLY will probably become known as being a major flop, which is too bad because there's a good movie here. Most people probably won't see that because we expected more from Beatty.
  • When I first saw the trailer that announced Warren Beatty's "comeback" I was thinking at best I would find the movie above mediocre. I personally understand Beatty's stasis as Hollywood Royalty, but I myself am not the biggest fan of any of his films to feel for him like that.

I am a big fan of the film's topics, like Howard Hughes who I love both as Hollywood Royalty and his love of Aviation, two points that Beatty's movie hits upon greatly as he portrays an older version of Hughes, when his reputation turned from eccentric billionaire to complete wack job.

But Beatty's role is more of supporting one as the story centers around two people in Hughes life: Marla Mabrey ,a young scarlet with good Christian values who came to Hollywood and became one of Hughes contract girls, and Frank Forbes, Marla's driver, also with the same Christian values as Marla, that's being broken down by Tinsel Town.

It was met to be one of those quirky comedies about a quirky man, and it should have worked but it did not.

Well if you don't use it you could loose it, cause unlike other senor filmmakers, like Clint Eastwood and Woody Allen, who make film after film in order to keep the blood of creativity flowing, Beatty was living the good life having fun in the son.

Beatty may have taken a little too much time off however, and it does show in this below mediocre film.

Beatty's superstar black book could not help him, either. The parade of movie star cameos only pointed out how dull this movie is.

So, not nearly what I would expect from icon, Warren Beatty but I think I'm putting too much on a man that I don't personally have on a pedestal.

Makes all the right jabs but never hits the spot.

The two lovers in this semi-fictional tale of Howard Hughes, his girl friends, and his bodyguard, are Alden Erenreich, who begins as a driver for Hughes and works his way up to chief cook and bottle washer, and Lilly Collins, a young naif from Front Royal, Virginia, who has put her education on a back burner after being put "on the hook" to Hughes and brought to Los Angeles for a screen test for a movie that will never be made. Their features are such that at time, if you squint properly, it seems that Leonardo de Caprio is kissing Elizabeth Taylor. We follow their careers in parallel.

Warren Beatty, the producer, has brought a fine cast together and put them to work in a sentimental but successful comedy. The character holding the entire massive thing together is Howard Hughes himself, played to the bone by Beatty. He makes no attempt to capture the historic Hughes, the kind of extreme obsessive-compulsive that only great wealth can permit to exist without alarm bells ringing all over the place. Instead, Beatty gives us a loud. cheerful, reckless, clumsy, impulsive, and funny Howard Hughes -- always worrying that somebody's trying to "put me in the nut house." The best illustration has Beatty sitting alone in a darkened theater, listening to some Gofer read back his letter to some law enforcement agency. The letter is about a missing cat that belongs to Hughes' new wife. So we watch Beatty entranced by his own vulgar demands about a man with his resources and the disappeared cat, while Beatty twitches with delight and nods his head emphatically to underline the points his letter is making, perfectly satisfied with himself.

I won't outline the plot but I'll say that it alternates between mostly understated comedy and sober softheartedness, with comedy predominant towards the beginning and emotionalism at the end, leading us to two happy lovers departing Hughes and misleading us to one Hughes and one lost love.

That the rules don't apply is a reassurance given by Erenreich to Collins, who is concerned that the rules of Hollywood require her to give it up despite her stern Baptist upbringing, but of course the rules don't apply to Howard Hughes either. The notion of freedom from norms is caught up in a simple and tune written by Collins, accompanied by rather nifty lyrics. It's not so much that the rules don't apply. It's that to a great extent we make our own rules except for biological imperatives. We all grow up, grow old, and die. And there are several references, in the lyrics and elsewhere, of lost youth and fearful age. Of Collins it has to be said that she's right purty. Her features and gracile physique lend her an adolescent quality that's appealing.

I admire the film especially because it lack the usual dumbed-down quality that afflicts so many Hollywood productions these days. Good job.
  • 79 year old Beatty as Howard Hughes in his prime. Ruined movie! Howard

Hughes was the biggest celebrity and biggest stud in the country. He was Errol Flynn and John Wayne mixed into one genius It is arrogant and selfish to think some senior citizen can play the most exciting man in the country.

Maybe we should have 86 year old Clint Eastwood star in a biography of Errol Flynn in his swash buckler prime.

Movies watcher only get a few movies each year not based on comic books so we are very excited to watch a grown up movie.

Unfortunately, this movie did not deliver. I hope Mr Beatty didn't spend all of his Social Security benefits on this movie production
  • Not only writer/director but writer/director/produce/actor!

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

In spite of a host of well-known actors, some in bit parts, this movie never gets off the ground. The slow introduction isn't suspenseful, it's boring. Like the rest of it. Plodding is the only kind way to describe it.

There have been several movies about Howard Hughes, many documentaries and probably dozens of books. That he was reclusive and didn't like to appear in public, we know. Whether the other events depicted in this movie were true or not, who knows? More to the point - who cares!

The shaded lighting keeping most of the characters in the shade much of the time, particularly their faces and especially Warren Beatty, is both unnecessary and annoying. Atmospheric? Hardly. Arty? Not in a million years.

Perhaps Beatty is falling apart like Hughes. This movie certainly is.
  • The new romantic comedy film Rules Don't Apply starring Warren Beatty, Alden Ehrenreich, Lily Collins, Alec Baldwin, Haley Bennett, Annette Bening, Candice Bergen, Matthew Broderick, Steve Coogan, Ed Harris, Megan Hilty, Oliver Platt, Martin Sheen.

In Rules Don't Apply an aspiring young actress Marla Mabrey (English actress Lily Collins the daughter of English singer Phil Collins - Mirror Mirror, The Blind Side) and her ambitious young driver Frank Forbes (American actor Alden Ehrenreich - Hail, Caesar!, Blue Jasmine) struggle hopefully with the absurd eccentricities of the wildly unpredictable billionaire Howard Hughes (American actor Warren Beatty - Bonnie And Clyde, Bugsy and who is married to American actress Annette Bening in real life) whom they work for. It's Hollywood, California 1958. Small town beauty queen and devout Baptist virgin Marla Mabrey (Collins), under contract to the infamous Howard Hughes (Beatty), arrives in Los Angeles, California. At the airport, she meets her driver Frank Forbes (Ehrenreich), who is engaged to be married to his 7th grade sweetheart and is a deeply religious Methodist. Their instant attraction not only puts their religious convictions to the test, but also defies Hughes'.

Amongst the other actors / actresses in Rules Don't Apply include American actor Alec Baldwin (The Shadow, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation) as Bob Maheu, American actress Haley Bennett (The Equalizer 2014, The Girl On The Train) as Mamie Murphy, American actress Annette Bening (American Beauty, The Siege and who is married to American actor Warren Beatty in real life) as Lucy Mabrey Marla's mum, American actress Candice Bergen (Gandhi, Sweet Home Alabama) as Nadine Henly, American actor Matthew Broderick (Ferris Bueller's Day Off, WarGames) as Levar Mathis, English actor Steve Coogan (Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa, The Parole Officer) as Colonel Nigel Briggs, American actor Ed Harris (The Rock, Run All NIght) as Mr. Bransford, American actress Megan Hilty (US TV Series The Good Wife and Smash) as Sally, Canadian actor Oliver Platt (Beethoven, Frost / Nixon) as Brian Forester, American actor Martin Sheen (The Amazing Spider-Man, US TV Series The West Wing and the father of American actors Charlie Sheen and Emilio Estevez) as Noah Dietrich, American actor Paul Sorvino (Goodfellas, Nixon) as Vernon Scott, Peter Mackenzie (Trumbo, Earth To Echo) as Gene Handsaker, American actor Dan Desmond (City Of Angels, School Ties) as Gladwin Hill, Canadian actor Hart Bochner (Die Hard, Supergirl) as Colonel Willis, American actress Madisyn Ritland as Bella, Scottish actress Louise Linton (Cabin Fever, The Echo) as Betty, American actress Christine Marzano (Paranoia, Byzantium) as Carrie, American actor Graham Beckel (Pearl Harbor, Escape Plan) as Wilbur, American actor James Keane (Falling Down, Coneheads) as Tom, American actor Paul Schneider (Café Society, Water For Eelephants) as Richard Miskin, American actress Eileen Ryan (Magnolia, All The King's Men) as Frank's Grandmother, American actress Taissa Farmiga (6 Years, The Final Girls) as Sarah Bransford, American actress Amy Madigan (Uncle Buck, Field Of Dreams) as Mrs. Bransford, American actor Ashley Hamilton (Iron Man 3, Beethoven's 2nd) as Rudolf, American actor Josh Casaubon (Twelve, The Good Shepherd) as Marvin, American actor Marshall Bell (Total Recall 1990, Twins) as Colonel Maxwell, Ron Perkins (Spider-Man, I'll Do Anything) as Senator Ferguson, American actor Michael Badalucco (Summer Of Sam, You've Got Mail) as Solly the Barber, American actor James Gleason (Stealing Roses, Awaken) as Doctor Crone, Alan Daniels as Hughes Staffer, American actor Holmes Osborne (Identity, Donnie Darko) as Cappy, American actor Julio Oscar Mechoso (Jurassic Park 3, Bad Boys) as President Somoza, American actor Dabney Coleman (Domino, You've Got Mail) as Raymond Holliday, American actress Caitlin Carver (Paper Towns, Impact Earth) as Marla Lookalike and Evan O'Toole (Wild, Cake) as Matt Mabrey.

Filming locations in Rules Don't Apply include places like Hollywood, California, Fresno, California, Las Vegas, Nevada, Washington DC the US capital, Virginia, USA, Acapulco, Mexico, London the capital of England, Managua, Nicaragua.

Overall Rules Don't Apply is a good romantic comedy film filled with romance, love, romantic scenes, family, friendship, togetherness, falling outs, arguments, stunning shots of Los Angeles and Hollywood in California, actors, actresses, screen tests for actors and actresses, music, people being musical instruments like the piano and guitar, people dancing, some odd bizarre moments, the way of life in LA back in the 1950's and 1960's. chauffers, a good insight in to the type of person billionaire Howard Hughes was in a great performance by Warren Beatty as him with an outstanding cast in the film with him and many other things throughout the film.

So I will give Rules Don't Apply an overall rating of 3 out of 5 stars and Rules Don't Apply is worth seeing if you like romantic comedy films and films based on true stories about Hollywood like Hail, Caesar!, My Week With Marilyn, Trumbo, Capote amongst others.

So if you get the chance to see Rules Don't Apply in the cinema then you should go and see it sooner than later.
  • I really, really wanted to like this movie. Howard Hughes is a fascinating person, and the idea of a rich person who faces psychological challenges, plus who has "average" people surrounding him, who are tempted by his challenges to remain silent... so many wonderful and interesting opportunities for a movie.

In a nutshell, this is a delusional movie written, produced, and directed by a movie star (Warren Beatty) who clearly has too much money and influence, and whose friends and wife were unwilling to tell him how bad it was, and how desperately the movie needed a plot. Conflict? None. Drama? None. Nothing happens - it's worse than watching ice melt, grass grow, or paint peel.

Warren Beatty makes documentary movie about himself, pretending to be a movie about Howard Hughes.

This movie lacks a plot. I mean really, really really lacks a plot. There is little to no conflict, bizarre switching between scenes, and just nothing happens. It was so bad I begged my wife to leave, and my other daughter, but unfortunately my older daughter (who likes documentaries) insisted on staying... so we stayed. I want my time back Warren Beatty! You took 1.75 hours of my life, and it's gone...

We came back home and read Wikipedia about Howard Hughes, learning and enjoying it more (for free). Oh, and finally - the movie was so bad it motivated me to finally sign up for IMDb so I could trash it. Don't waste your money or your time.
  • Today's review is on the film entitled Rules Don't Apply, a film that critics call the best movie of the year. Haven't heard of it? Don't worry, you aren't alone as this movie flew under the radar thanks to the blockbusters coming out this weekend. For those caring to know, it is a film portraying the eccentric billionaire Howard Hughes and the many people caught up in his game of... craziness. Does this movie live up to the hype of the trailers? As always it's my job to share my thoughts and report on the latest film to hit the theater trenches.

LIKES: • The setting • The portrayal of Hollywood • Warren Beatty's performance

This weekend seems to involve taking trips into the past, as Rules Don't Apply drops you back into the mid 1960s and all the cultural trends of the era. This film has costumes and sets that recreate the time period, helping immerse you into environment that existed 50 years ago. All the promising hope and youthful energy are unleashed, trying to bring about the fun times Hollywood brought with it in the golden age of cinema. And if you could care less about the ambiance, then you will get a good laugh at some of the ridiculous trends the era fostered, especially when the film pokes fun at it. For you drama lovers though, a strong quality of this film is the portrayal of Hollywood and the obstacles it presents for our "heroes". Rules Don't Apply does a fine job of showing how Hollywood promises fame, fortune and excitement to the aspiring, only for the cold-hearted politics to rip that promise away in an instant. Be warned the tale is somewhat depressing, but I give props for a studio revealing the ugly face hidden behind the makeup and lights. Yet the main strength of this movie is Warren Beatty's performance as Howard Hughes. If you don't know much about the man, read Wikipedia and you'll find he had a generous and ambiguous allocation of funds and attention. Beatty portrays that unorganized way of thinking perfectly, showing the erratic pressured speech, the flight of thoughts, and troubled looks of a man with too much on his mind. And as time passes, and status' change, Beatty adapts his look and talents to portray more of the madness during Hughes downward spiral. He was dynamic, he was funny, and he sold me on how much struggle the man went through all those decades ago.

DISLIKES: • The actors' chemistry • The lost potential • Soap opera theatrics • Boring • The editing

It was hard to pick a starting point for my dislikes, but the actors' chemistry through me off in this movie. Our potential star crossed lovers were more awkward than romantic and it felt like the two leads were forced to work together (like we saw in Twilight and The Star Wars prequels). Our young actors felt stiff together, the ability to act off one another not quite as polished or believable as I had hoped. While I understand relationships can start out this way, the chemistry didn't move past this until near the end of the film. Instead, the relationship and acting continued to move into the overdramatic region, ascending to levels that soap operas make famous. Much of the theatrics were more eye-rolling annoying than appreciative, and I prayed for something to end the nonsensical love story they were trying to sell. Fortunately, the other relationships that main character Frank Forbes had to foster made up for the stiff romance story of this film. I can't just pin the poor relationship on the acting. No, the main dislike for me in this movie is the editing. Beatty may be a good actor, but his writing and directing need some work to help improve his storytelling ability. Rules Don't' Apply seemed to have difficulty determining what kind of movie it wanted to be. So instead they decided to mash everything together into a multi- genre menagerie that didn't work. Much of the film were snippets of Hughes' endeavors hastily crammed together to provide some entertainment. And while I laughed at times, the irrelevance to the plot became very irritating by the end of the film. And even worse, these interruptions destroyed the coherence of the plot and weakened the overall tale, especially in regards to the character development. If this is entertaining to you great, but if you are like me…you'll be bored by all the unnecessary components and the extended run time.

THE VERDICT:

Rules Don't Apply may be artistic and have one heck of a leading performance. However, past that this film's storytelling needs an overhaul/remake to get the job done. It's unfocused editing, overdramatic acting, and slow pace did not entertain me as much as I had hoped. You are better off waiting for this one to hit home folks, where you can at least nap through most of the movie if you get bored. But if you want a drama with lots of moving pieces…Rules Don't Apply is the film for you.

My scores: Comedy/Drama/Romance: 5.0 Movie Overall: 4.0
  • Rules Don't Apply is a nostalgic look at Hollywood in the 50's and early 60's when Howard Hughes (Warren Beatty) was still making munitions and planes and rounding up starlets. Beatty's performance may be the best of his career, playing eccentric, playful, and manipulative Hughes at the same time that he was isolating himself from the world.

I seem to have emphasized the wrong part of this dramedy, for the love affair between one of those starlets, Marla (Lily Collins), and one of Hughes's drivers, Frank (Erin Ehrenreich) is the center of the action. Nothing could be better to encourage their romance than for Hughes to forbid connections between his employees and his starlets.

Because she looks like Elizabeth Taylor and he like Montgomery Clift, sparks are bound to fly. Appropriately, the labyrinthine lives of those early Hollywood players are the juicy stuff that writer-director Beatty gets right. He catches the innocent passion of an industry climbing to the stars while industrialists and bankers are partnering for the also emerging airlines.

It's heady stuff, ambition and love, and who better than Warren Beatty, an icon of Hollywood glamour in mid-century? Although Hughes is the natural center of energy in any film about him, the young couple is a more believable representation of the ambition that still rules Hollywood and the world, as business intrudes on the purity of the young.

However, the young prove to be resilient with a greater promise than the old deal makers. In fact, for those daring to be themselves, like the young couple "the rules don't apply."
  • I have a lot of time for Warren Beatty. He is one of the few people to be nominated for Oscars in the main four categories for a film twice. Best actor, screenplay, director and producer for the films Heaven Can Wait and Reds.

Rule Don't Apply is his first film since since 2001. It is set in 1958 Hollywood and follows the romantic relationship between a young aspiring actress who is a devout Christian and her driver. Both are employed by Howard Hughes and according to the rules, both are forbidden to enter a relationship but they do as they wait to meet Howard Hughes.

Beatty who can be notoriously slow has been developing this project for more than 40 years after seeing Howard Hughes in a hotel lobby in the early 1970s.

The film is billed as a romantic comedy but is just constipated and pallid. Empty as the real life Hughes in his later years when he was filled up with drugs.

The only stand out moment is the farcical plane scene in London when Steve Coogan pops up (I presume he took this as an opportunity to appear with a screen legend.) For film nerds it is amusing to see Alec Baldwin show up in another film on Howard Hughes as he also appeared in Scorsese's The Aviator.

The only positive I can find is that Beatty the Director used digital to seamlessly blend the vintage film of Hollywood and other places.
    "I don't mean to be negative, but are me living in Nicaragua now?"

This is a question posed by Howard Hughes' drivers (Levar Mathis played by Matthew Broderick and Frank Forbes) and eventual co- keepers after they are rushed to Nicaragua on a whim, and to avoid possible business catastrophe, by Mr. Hughes (played by Warren Beatty). The question gets a big laugh in a film that has many big laughs.

Howard Hughes, reporters say in the opening of the film, is an American hero and inventor. Much of the film takes place in the late 1950's, a much less cynical time when we saw the good in these types of mavericks without looking for the warts.

Marla Mabrey (lily Collins) is sent to Hollywood by Mr. Hughes. She is a pageant winner with high hopes and moral ideals (a devout Baptist) and a belief that Mr. Hughes is a gentleman. Mr. Hughes has a stable of women he brought to Hollywood for screen test.

This is a great comedy of misunderstanding. The first meet up between Hughes and Mabrey sees Marla prattle on about how grateful she is as Hughes eats a TV dinner,completely ignoring her, then (hilariously) picks up a saxophone and starts playing.

When Hughes meets Frank Forbes (Alden Ehenreich) for the first time, Forbes tries to talk Hughes into real estate as Hughes goes on about venereal disease. These confusions end up showing how much interest and slack people are willing to give a billionaire while they reside in his orbit.

Mr. Beatty has said that the film is about sexual mores of the 50s. That plays into it a bit and informs Frank and Marla's behavior as they meet and fall for each other and have complications from back home and in Hollywood. The biggest complication though is Hughes.

The film covers five years in the life of Mr. Hughes (though the events that take place, Hughes in Hollywood, the plane crash and the Clifford Irving scam, actually cover almost two decades). Many historical hallmarks take place. This is a frenzied film. The editing is quite unique, many scenes are often quick, bringing in just the necessary information to move to the next part. It is a marvel. It does lead to confusion a few times though. How much time passed between the first meet up with Forbes to the plane crash? Is Marla really waiting so long for the screen test that she starts to feel aged? Tiny quibbles.

Mr. Hughes casts a giant shadow. And some of Beatty's scenes have great poignancy and drama. He is a paranoid (records everything) and could lose everything as he owns as his mind erodes. He is obsessed with legacy. First, he is daddy-obsessed because he believes, in a very telling scene, that DNA allows your father to still be alive in you.

Marla writes a song for Frank based on a kind comment he had made to her.When Marla sings the same song to Mr. Hughes (Collins is the perfect drunk in this scene), Hughes looks deeply moved, but we don't know if he is moved because his film Hell's Angels is playing in the background or because the song speaks to him. It's a great scene. Beatty has throughout his career played awed characters or cads. This film fills both those personas (as Bugsy and Shampoo did). And Beatty has never been better. This is also as personal as anything he has done. Howard Hughes freaks out at seeing a small child early in the film, running out of the room presumably because children are germ farms. Later, an incident happens. Marla throws her drunken self at Hughes and ends up pregnant. When she confesses this to him, he is very rude. A bit later, he has to meet with Raymond Holliday (tremendous work by Dabney Coleman) to discuss selling his father's company. Raymond asks, "Who's DNA are you going to be in?" Much later in the film, some kids run around his bungalow, and he seems happy to see them. He has moved his interest in legacy onto children. He will confess this to Frank in the next scene. It will take Marla bringing there son to Mr. Hughes at the end of the film to enliven Mr. Hughes to go on record that a devastating book written about him (by a Mr. Miskin, similar to Bliskin who wrote a book about Beatty) is a hoax. Yes the two young leads come to Hollywood when Beatty did, screen test, one has a Murphy bed as Beatty did, but those are just fun details. Mr. Beatty took 15 years off to raise his children whom he obviously loves very dearly. The hero in the film is ultimately the child. If Love Affair was a love letter to his lovely wife and Bulworth was getting all his political ideals down and Town and Country was a comment on past behavior, Rules is a love letter to his children who are the most important thing in life.