- Battles are huge and relentless. In the flashback showdown between Malekith and Thor's grandfather, Bor, we see tons of flashing swords and spears and laser-like guns and reality-twisting grenades. (That latter weapon seems to suck victims into a vortex and fold them up.) A field is littered with the corpses of Asgardians and dark elves. Other melees feature the same allotment of weapons, which are always used to devastatingly lethal effect. Spaceships destroy buildings, crash and sometimes do both simultaneously causing untold (unseen) casualties.
- A rock monster gets crushed by Thor's hammer. A demon-like creature forces a man's head into a force field, and we can hear his screams.
- A bad guy loses both of his arms, and a good guy appears to have his hand sliced off. (We see the bloody stump.)
- An evil henchman is swallowed almost whole by a strange and fearsome creature, and several more are crushed by someone throwing a car. In one melee, Thor snaps a bad guy's neck.
- A demi-god and a demon get stabbed through the chest (at the same time with the same blade). A woman is run through with a sword. Someone gets pounded in the face. The Aether is a violent substance.
- When Jane has the stuff in her system, anyone who threatens her gets blown back with a mini-explosion. The substance is used to assail, toss and tumble Thor and others.
- The final fight scene is very intense between Thor and Malekith ,especially when Malekith is smashed to death by one of his own ships.
- Thor's hand gets cut off. It is revealed to be a hologram, and it grows back