User Reviews (38)

• When I first saw the trailer for Copper, I figured it would be like a continuation of 'Gangs of New York.' How wrong I was. Though the setting of Copper mimics that of 'Gangs,' it goes further beyond into the seedy underbelly of the Five Points. It focuses not on revenge or the Civil War, but rather what problems plagued the detectives that tried to keep order in a lawless town.

On its own, Copper is a unique perspective on how justice was done in America. Essentially, the show is about Kevin Corcoran, a detective in the Five Points who stops at nothing to get his man, even the ones that think they are above the law. He relies heavily on his partner, Francis Maguire, during the inevitable trouble that follows them wherever they go. Kevin also invokes the help of a black doctor, Matthew Freeman, whose brilliant mind helps the detectives identify certain characteristics of victims that will lead to the killer. But their relationship is tricky due to the fresh wounds that are present from a recovering nation after the Civil War.

This show is not at all shy or subtle in its approach as to how things were back then. From the issues of race, class, peer pressure, and the common practice of child prostitution, nothing is left untouched by Copper. This show is certainly not afraid of offending people and you know what? That's what makes it so good to watch.

Tom Weston-Jones commands the screen from the first glance and refuses to let go as we are introduced to more characters. He gives an air of mystery and respectability to his role as Kevin Corcoran. He and his co-stars are able to carry the load of heavy scenes that might otherwise make viewers uncomfortable in an understated way. The fact that the bulk of them are complete unknowns (at least in America) allows the audience to watch without any preconceived notions about what to expect.

Overall, I really liked the pilot. It has serious potential as it was able to balance a certain number of characters with intertwining story lines that make sense. It would be easy for the writers to back away from the uncomfortable situations that the characters get into, but I hope they don't. The raw talk and bold themes are what make this show unique.
  • Ladies and Gentlemen, I want SOMEONE preferable the director, producer, cinematographer, somebody to explain why they took a captivating story- line cast, and perfect momentum and made several radical departures that obviously hurt the show so much that led to it's ultimate demise...

Where somebody working on Season 2 screwed up - perfect examples:

#1) Season 2 - Episode 1: Why would you start developing an absolutely maniacal antagonist in the first episode who carved up Franka Potente's back in over-gruesome fashion only to have him killed later in the same episode?

#2) The basic camera filter used to shoot Season 1 depicted a period piece beautifully, and you could tell in the first 3 minutes of the first episode in season 2, that awful over-sepia-toned filter would throw audiences immediately off who had been eagerly anticipating the show to pickup right where it left off at the end of season 1.

#3) Kiara Glasco...this young lady playing Annie Reilly was brilliant in playing a very difficult young character, and she held her own in nearly ever episode. Her role was minimized in season 2 and an obvious void was apparent.

I could go on but these are my top 3, and they are absolutely inexcusable. Whoever deviated so drastically from the success of season 1 should be ashamed of themselves, and they owe Tom Weston Jones a HUGE apology for taking away one of the new great period characters American audiences have seen and will see, in a long damn time.

Just a shame.

-DSC
  • I love this show it has absolutely fascinated me with the story. I want to know what happened to Ellen, what will happen to everyone in it.

Everything that you think you know, you have to just throw it out when the next show comes on and it all changes. There is something so wonderful about watching it unfold.

The characters are so interesting; dark and deep. I cannot begin to know what will happen and that cannot be said for much that is on television. I love the unique flavour of this show,the gritty reality. So often people have romanticized the roles of saloon girls and cops and this show does not do that at all, sure some might find that too explicit but they can go watch the regular formula stuff on the bland networks.I find this whole series absolutely perfect. Can't wait to see it each week.
  • The historical evidence is correct. The cast is well assembled with unknowns in America. I sense Shakespearean acting experience in the deliveries of several of the cast members. This elevates the performances. I like the idea of the "mystery" presented in the first episode. This allows background to build along the way. Several openings were exposed for this material to grow. The beginnings of a budding city that will become a great city has major growing pains. The plot demonstrates this well. I enjoyed the artistry in showing the distinctions between the class system strongly evident in early America. The strength of the Irish element is excellently portrayed.
  • shanfan_1424 September 2012
    I was hooked by the promos. Although I like period dramas, usually my preferences tend more toward much earlier times. The atmosphere, the setting, even the costumes on "Copper," however, bespoke something unusual.

The actors are spot-on. Their characterizations are very human, making them both likable and unlikeable. Justice is often dispensed based on situational ethics rather than word of law. This is refreshing, since we don't have to root for every one, every time.

The writing, production values, even the editing make the show compelling and the unanswered questions persuade me to come back each episode to see how the plot is furthered. While we still don't have the larger answers, there is enough going on in the foreground so that this is not a drawback. It makes the denouement worth waiting for.

I have favorites among the characters, of course, but have a couple of unfavorites, as well: Eva, the friends-with-benefits "businesswoman" who, apparently doesn't mind snuffing out any potential rivals for someone who, in the end, will never be hers, anyway (she's quite awful: who would want to be?) and the evil child we've seen in so many horror movies that I, for one, can't muster up even a modicum of sympathy for. They and a smattering of others simply elicit the "Can't wait for this one to buy it" response.

It's outstanding in the current field. This, alas, means it probably will have a short shelf-life, as so many imaginative, non-generic shows do. I sincerely hope, however, that this proves the exception.
  • Copper came out of the gate a bit slowly, and that turned out to be a good thing. It's written to give a good, solid character development that really comes in handy as the show progresses and avoids the usual 2 dimensional "good guy/bad guy" stuff where so many characters usually become boring in similar types of drama.

Tom Weston-Jones is solid as Irish American copper Kevin "Corky" Corcoran and he's completely believable as a 19th century law officer in the Five Points area of New York City trying to do the job as honorably as he can, as well as locate his missing wife and find the murderer of his young daughter, amongst other things. An added bit of gritty reality finds that he's human and sometimes finds himself tempted by stuff (and occasionally partakes in certain acts) that most viewers today know are pretty much illegal or at least borderline not lawful. That's what makes this series so good is that it plays on a part of 19th century history that was pretty messed up due to the tumult caused by the civil war, but not touched on too often in television, anyway, from the gritty appearances of the cast and the scenery, to the questionable law practices. That's what makes this show a standout.

BBC America has got a winner in this one and it just keeps getting better as the storyline is fleshed out a little more with each episode. I can see why Barry Levinson is not afraid to attach his moniker to this show as an executive producer. It's that good.
  • zerkcie4 October 2012
    I absolutely love this show. The characters are so well written and really pull you into their world. I really love shows that don't throw any punches about the subject matter of the time they are showing. The dirty and grittiness of the sets make you feel like your really there.

If you like crime drama then you should really check this show out. It really captures the time period well. Showing how even though the North is fighting to stop slavery that racism was still a very large part of life everywhere.

Detective Cochran is one of those guys you would always want on your side, and would never want to be on his wanted list. And what a outstanding job that Kiara Glasco does as Annie. I haven't seen a young actress act so beyond their age since Kirsten Dunst in Interview with a Vampire.

One of my new favorite shows on TV. I wish more shows today would have the substance this show does. Well done indeed.
  • kad_q6 November 2012
    And it delivered. I was not expecting much from this show, not because of the relatively unknown actors, but because there's a lot of "back in the day" shows coming out the last couple of years (Deadwood, Hell On Wheels, Boardwalk Empire etc) though this show has certain hints from other shows, it has it's own gritty feel about it.

The characters are great, and you never know who is doing what or who they are doing it for, there's no "Oh I know what's about to happen" and even if you get that thought process, it's a very unlikely chance you'll have guessed it right.

As stated in a previous review it's not the greatest show on earth, but just when you're about to give up on it, you get smacked in the face with the next scene which leaves you hanging for the next season, I do recommend watching this if you are a fan of Deadwood/Hell On Wheels.
  • Copper may not be the greatest show on earth but it is damned good. Every time I start and episode I am put off by it for a few minutes, into it for a few more. Then straight up Enthrawled in it as the plot gains weight and momentum.

The show has exception gripping scenes of violence when it has them though it usually doesn't, but when they are their they fully justify the TVMA rating (which is hard to get considering the stuff that hell on wheels does only manages them a tv14).

The acting is superb, the setting well done despite a few quirks with some virtual backgrounds, though totally understandable given the small budget. all in all the people seem rough dirty and brutal.

Most of the show consists of a our main character corky navigating up and down the lines of inner and upper class as he searches for criminals. sick, petty. and vial criminals. that are intertwined in both.

The mellow drama isn't up to par with some other shows other but its not trying too hard and its also not trying to rip off these shows. In that the echos of deadwood are seen, if only they could make this like that, but that wouldn't happen, never the less the spirit in deadwoods creation is in this, just with less articulate melodrama.

The characters are interesting and engaging, the violence brutal and bloody and the way the plot snowballs in mini stories is great.

Its also a touch relaxing to watch, for all its brutality, its very comfortable. you trust the characters to behave as they should and in that kinda in a bit of a trip./
  • What the Hell's kitchen were they thinking of cancelling Copper? A third season shelved on such a cliff hanger, when the story was really gaining momentum, and just as Billy Baldwin showed up and confirmed he hadn't flat lined. Maybe a new TV commercial for a network provider beckons for Kevin Bacon's best mate, know what I mean? Anyway it was good to see his sleazy return to our screens, if only for a short while.

Copper was a great series, not as hard edged as Deadwood, or as sophisticated as Boardwalk Empire, however it was good fun. The violence was a little cartoonish at times and it certainly became a bit modest just when you thought something really awful or exciting should have happened. That said, it really left the viewer wanting to know more about the characters and indeed the actors, who more or less did a great job, especially Kevin Ryan, who plays Detective Francis Maguire. He displayed just the right mix of brooding malice and dogmatic honour that made him really fun and interesting to watch.

The first series starts off well and builds a good story, complete with a few historical inaccuracies and misplaced modern attitudes, but remember this is no Deadwood! Apart from a bit of violence, this was something your mother could probably tolerate. Then came the second season, which obviously must have caught a negative whiff about re-commissioning for a third, because the violence and the nudity are certainly ramped up. Now your mother may have a thing or two to say and you'd best watch it on your own first.

This is a fun and lively series if you fancy a bit of period drama, that is gritty at times but never really shocking or uncomfortable to watch for anyone with a medium strength stomach. However, be warned that you will probably really enjoy it, and will need to be prepared for the disappointment of not seeing a third series!
    Excellent Period Crime Drama!! What can be said about Copper, by far the best Drama on TV at the moment. Cinematography is so well done makes you feel as if you are watching from the squalid Five Points in the 1860's. Plots are complex and well developed as are the characters. Do yourself a favor and buy this when it comes out on Blu-ray, you wont be sorry. Cochran reminds me of myself if I were a cop in that time, a little dirty perhaps but justice would be served. Politics and Power are well played out as are the scenes and ramifications of the Civil War. This show is not for the faint of heart, it has some of violence and nudity, so it is not for children. I cannot wait for season 2 to start my DVR will be in overdrive.
  • I had the great pleasure of studying American History at Brown University however that has made me quite picky when it comes to historical fiction whether it be in the form of a novel, movie or television series, but Copper has me thoroughly satisfied. Being a born and bred New Yorker I am always on the look out for anything related to the history of the City especially the 19th Century and this show has me sitting on the edge of my seat every week.

The sets are remarkable, the characters have depth and Five Points as the backdrop is the cherry on top. I hope there is 3rd season and much more on the agenda.
  • anglesmith7193 November 2012
    It only took one tailor of Copper for me to know that I was going to love this series. I, like everyone in my office at DISH, thought that I was in store for another chapter in the Gangs of New York story. Copper was a completely different animal. The historical research performed to create this series is definitely apparent. The clothes were perfect, the acting was spot on, and unlike Gangs of New York Copper actually delves into the entire social hierarchy of the period. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is a history buff. I am lucky I got to see it at all. I rented it from Blockbuster at Home through DISH because if it wasn't delivered right to my mailbox I never would have had time to go pick it up from the Wal-Mart in the next town over.
  • artpf21 October 2013
    Set in the Five Points neighborhood of New York City in the 1860s, focusing on a rugged young Irish cop who is forced to navigate his unruly and dangerous immigrant neighborhood while interacting with the uptown Manhattan crowd and the black community.

I was looking forward to this and it turns out it sucks. First of all all you cameramen -- did you know we're sick of the shaky cam? Why does every show now use the shaky cam? It's been done and we're over it. Learn your craft.

The show is the longest 45 minutes of your life. It feels like 6 hours. Show's characters are uninteresting and the main character is a bore. The story-lines are just plain dull. And you have to submit to watching this show in extreme close-ups because they didn't have the proper budget to re-create the era.

And nothing about this is real. They had to be politically correct and threw in a token black actor as a doctor! Yesh, that happened back then. Oh and the theme music is hillbilly music! I guess it's supposed to be an Irish gig, but it's silly to hear it on a show that takes place in NYC!

Gosh, do you get the idea what a train wreck this show is?
  • B2425 August 2013
    As a back story to the American Civil War, much has been told about events in New York City during the 1860's. The city was booming economically, and immigration, particularly but not exclusively from Ireland, was changing its character in ways not always to the benefit of its old Dutch and Yankee establishment. Anti-war riots and corrupt politics reflected that change, and this relatively new TV series attempts to make use of these elements in promoting a story line that lies somewhere between fact and fiction.

Dramatic exaggeration is normal in a play based on historical material. The greater the mundane is made lively, the greater the audience participates in reliving the past. Even Shakespeare stretched the truth and shaped events to his narrative. But this is not Shakespeare, and Copper has at this point in its second season provided almost nothing by way of believable character delineation. It is populated principally by a gaggle of misfits, stereotypes, and sociopaths.

As to plot, there is precious little. It meanders from one scene of human depravity to another, sparing no inch of bared flesh and no act of vicious physical abuse. One mutes the sound at times so as not to hear its vulgar dialogue, following the depictions fully enough in silence.

Why then do I rate it higher than average? Because it is so indefatigably true to the setting, and its technique is well-crafted. Few period pieces capture a place and time so well. Its darkness is physically compelling, though insufficient to overcome the weakness of its narrative.

Contrary to Copper, it is true that the spring of 1865 on the East Coast was brilliant, marking the end of the war and slavery and a return to summer. Veterans were returning home and business was brisk. Walt Whitman and Ralph Waldo Emerson and Mark Twain and Oliver Wendell Holmes were about to define a new era in American culture.
    ( NOTE : i clicked spoiler just in case they see it as one but i do not give anything away) Are you freaking kidding me, i finally got around to finishing of this awesome series and i can't believe how they left it. Can you imagine season 3, especially if what finished the season 2 of was gonna send him even more insane than what he already is,(without spoiling for those who are unfortunate enough not to have viewed this awesome TV show)but those who have witnessed this spectacular epic show will know. Will he find this person alive or not????? They cancel the great shows too early and let crap infest our TV's for decades, again what a shame this show did not finish of properly, they did talk about a movie but that probably would have happened by now if it was going to. Great acting, rough and tough, violence a plenty done so real at times even i cringed and i do not cringe easily with characters you love and know what they are capable of and we are never disappointed. Back drops, outfits,building scenery all top notch and sometimes you'll think your watching a Hollywood movie....again loved it but needed more to finish us of
    Follow this thought, then comment - or not: After consideration of replies to my query for the cancellation of the 'highest-rated-ever' BBC America production of 'Copper' from friends-in-the-know and a few associated politicos, I've come to the conclusion this series was untimely 'abrupted' because its incisive historical content successfully filmed, and revealed to millions, the early beginnings of New York City's seedy and corrupt underbelly just prior-to-then-following the outset of the reign of William Magear Tweed (April 3, 1823 – April 12, 1878 – 55 years) – often erroneously referred to as William Marcy Tweed, and widely known as 'Boss Tweed.'

The current 'Potentates-at-large' within this extremely large American berg haven't taken much of a liking to this untimely exposure, thus ultimately forcing the series cancellation toward its producers. If you were the Mayor of NYC, would you want this kind of attention from, at the very least, world-wide tourists who bring $$$millions, annually, into YOUR city? It makes some common sense. Within the comments from BBC America, '...it was a fitting moment to conclude this American story' (so said Perry Simon, BBC General Manager). If you follow The Hollywood Reporter, the series could possibly come out as a movie. We can only hope.
  • As an African American, l so much appreciated that it did not neglect to show what life was like for us "up north" at the end of the civil war. The casting was perfect. The way the complexities of the lives of the main characters and others was portrayed showed depth of thought and skill on behalf of the director and writers. The final episode was truly a cliffhanger. Oh how l wish some other channel or whoever would bring it back!!! In the meantime, I will enjoy "Coppers" all over again!!!
  • The setting, acting, historical context, racial inequities, writing, language, costumes... etc.

Can't believe it was cancelled after only 2 seasons.

I had even persuaded a few of my friends to check it. They too, thought it was excellent!
  • Enjoyable show but some of the editing makes no sense at all. At times it appears to have been edited by a first year media student. Some scenes seem to have been added simply to bulk out the episode. Additionally, the 'previously' sequences at the start of each episode seem to have been chosen by throwing darts at a dartboard.
  • In all the time I've been writing reviews of movies, documentaries and TV shows I have never given a 10 to anything except this. The old Five Points neighborhood of New York City, in south Manhattan Island, is the setting for this drama that highlights the lives, loves and hard times of the largely Irish occupants of the area just before the end of the Civil War and just after. One of the problems with high quality shows like this is production costs for the excellent cast, supporting actors and actresses and the sets. A major plus for me with this show was the excellent depiction of everyday life in the 1860s in a poor section of New York City, without any attempt to cover up the open sewers, rampant crime and corruption, and disease that came right along with the piles of garbage, polluted water and masses of poverty ridden city inhabitants. The big disappointment to me was that this excellent mini-series only lasted two seasons! Well worth watching and highly recommended. Robert
  • brianehill12 February 2014
    I don't write reviews, but I will for this one in the hopes that just maybe the network that aired this great show will hear our cry and come to their senses. This show got it right on several levels. The acting was excellent and the story line was very interesting. The sets and filming were very well done and had that gritty "Gangs of New York" feel. I don't know what could have knocked it out of the slot with all the great reviews this series has had? Other than maybe a really intelligent reality show, which the planet so desperately needs. Nothing like being brought to the edge of your seat only to be knocked over the back of the couch. A great show that deserved a great run!
  • Great Series ! Meticulously researched as to historic accuracy. 1864 NYC.

The sets and costumes are fantastic and truly represent the period. We think of these people living a distant past yet we see through COPPER that their lives are very much like our own. A rough and tumble period it was; civil war, crime, class and race struggle and just good and not so good folks trying to survive.

This series is so well made I am surprised it did not win more awards. I can't wait for the next season.

Don't miss it. If you like COPPER you will enjoy RIPPER STREET (BBC) very much as well.

Rick
  • Detective Kevin Corcoran (Tom Weston-Jones) is a street smart Irish cop in Five Points neighborhood of 1860s New York City. It started very strong. But some of the early important characters get sidelined. The show kept trying to find its footing. Chances are they had it right the first time.

The most compelling character has to be Annie Reilly (Kiara Glasco). She's a street kid who gets rescued by Corcoran who sees his lost daughter in her. The writers should have moved heaven and earth to keep her with Corcoran. Their chemistry is complicated and electric.

Franka Potente is a little bit wasted as the popular madam Eva Heissen. She isn't given that much to do. Elizabeth Haverford (Anastasia Griffith) is a more interesting character, but after her downfall in the 1st season, her character is given less of a role.

Doctor Matthew Freeman (Ato Essandoh) started out as a CSI role. Changing it to play the race story is probably inevitable and well advised. It led to some great plot lines. However he felt more and more distanced from Corcoran. The show's evolution didn't always bring out the best.
  • The show presented me at first the interesting idea of a CSI/NCIS style show but in "cowboys" era. This was intended at first with Doctor Matthew Freeman (Ato Essandoh) getting evidences and study them with the means available at that time...solving crimes like that. But then they dropped this "motto" to a boring soap opera of pseudo-romantic bad relationships...tons of betrayals...and political interest struggles.

No wonder the show was canceled after 2 seasons...because the second series became quite boring to watch. I confess that still couldn't find the patience to watch the last 4 episodes.

The acting was very good by all of the actors...I particularly liked little Annie Reilly (played by awesome Kiara Glasco). She looks very petite (don't know how old is she IRL)...but she plays her part with so much matureness...that actually she looks like a young woman in a child's body. She is a great actress. Congratulations Kiara, and keep acting, PLEASE.

5 out of 10 why?

1st season 10... 2nd season 0... Therefore... 10/2=5 !