User Reviews (677)

• San Andreas (2015)

*** (out of 4)

After a massive earthquake strikes California, a father (Dwayne Johnson) must struggle to try and rescue his estranged wife (Carla Gugino) and his daughter (Alexandra Daddario) who finds herself somewhere in San Fransisco. While people are trying to dig themselves out of the damage, a seismologist (Paul Giamatti) warns people that the big one hasn't yet happened.

SAN ANDREAS is without question one of the dumbest movies that you're going to see in the year 2015 or perhaps any other year. I mean, things happen here that are without question quite stupid and that includes a really dumb love story and the logic of some of the scenes are downright laughable. With that said, one really shouldn't go into this movie expecting anything other than a popcorn movie meant to keep you entertained and this film certainly does that as it's a pretty good throwback to the Irwin Allen disaster pictures like EARTHQUAKE, THE TOWERING INFERNO and THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE.

I really can't believe I'm saying this but the special effects are certainly the highlight of the picture. I'm usually not a fan of CGI because more times than not it just looks fake and takes away from the story but we're reaching a point in technology where it's really hard to see the effect, which is just great. There's a massive amount of destruction throughout this film and I must admit that the effects make you feel that everything you're watching is real. This includes the actual earthquake footage as well as all the destruction around the state. There are countless buildings that fall and the aftermath of the quake looks extremely realistic.

The story itself is quite stupid as we get all sorts of predictable scenes but I can't really blame the film for this as the entire disaster genre had silly melodrama going on. The relationship issues between Johnson and Gugino are quite stupid and of course there's a side story dealing with him not being able to save a daughter that died. The screenplay pretty much throws everything into the mix and just hopes any of it sticks. Again, it's hard to bash the "dumb" story too much since the film is so entertaining but I will give the film credit for delivering the highest body count in the history of cinema.

Again, going into SAN ANDREAS expecting anything other than entertainment probably isn't the best idea. The actors are all entertaining in their own right and that's especially true for Daddario. As far as Johnson goes, he's certainly not the greatest actor in the world but he makes for a great action star.
  • My love of the disaster genre means that I can enjoy this type of movie despite the myriad problems with it, alongside the inherent cheesiness and the poor writing which makes it laughable in places. It pales in comparison to stuff from the 1970s like THE TOWERING INFERNO and EARTHQUAKE, but it's certainly better than modern SyFy Channel and Asylum offerings, even if that's just because of the massive budget alone.

The story is written so that the disaster scenes keep occurring throughout the movie. The CGI effects work is extensive, but it's also pretty good, and certainly better than in the awful 2012. Yes, you get all the flag-waving nonsense associated with this type of film, but you also get plenty of suspense scenes and depictions of post-earthquake devastation that you don't usually get to see in the movies.

Dwayne Johnson continues to be a hulking, mildly charismatic presence in the movies, although he's no Schwarzenegger. Alexandra Daddario is there for her looks and certainly succeeds in that respect. The rest of the cast don't fare so well, with Ioan Gruffudd virtually reprising his role from SANCTUM and Paul Giamatti on autopilot, although at least we get to find out what happened to Art Parkinson (the disappearing Rickon Stark from TV's GAME OF THRONES). SAN ANDREAS is certainly undemanding entertainment, and not a film I'm in any hurry to sit through again, but compared to other offerings in this packed sub-genre, it's not THAT bad.
  • Raymond Gaines (Dwayne Johnson) is an LAFD rescue helicopter pilot. He is getting divorced to his wife Emma (Carla Gugino) after the death of their daughter Mallory. They still have their daughter Blake (Alexandra Daddario). Emma is moving in with her rich boyfriend Daniel Riddick (Ioan Gruffudd). Daniel is flying with Blake on a private plane to San Francisco as he opens his new highrise. Meanwhile, Caltech professor Dr. Lawrence Hayes (Paul Giamatti) is researching an earthquake predictor with reporter Serena Johnson (Archie Panjabi) doing a story on him. When the earthquake strikes, Blake is trapped as Daniel abandons her. Brothers Ben and Ollie Taylor come to the rescue.

It's funny that I saw Charlton Heston's Earthquake (1974) just before watching this movie. CGI has created much better destruction. Neither has a terribly good story. It's weird that the seismic teams from both movies go to a dam. The Rock is great as always. His opening rescue is fun and exciting. It does bother me that he's a rescue pilot but he doesn't rescue a soul flying all over California. I love the destruction and the action but lots of bothersome things start piling up.

It's weird that Raymond would tell Emma to bring as many people as possible to go up to the roof. He's only one helicopter and I doubt he could take more than ten people. They would be in terrible trouble if she's actually successful. Next, it bothered me that Ben brought Ollie down to the basement garage. I get the risk reward equation of rescuing the hot girl but he can't bring his little brother into that. Finally, Raymond and Emma is racing through the flooded streets like the Grand Prix. I cringed at thought of all those people they're running over as they speed through. You can forget about them stopping to help anybody else. That's the last straw for me. I can live with all the death and destruction but the heroes can't be running over everybody with their boat. There are a few overwrought scenes and I would like a connection between Dr. Hayes and the Gaines.
    In Los Angeles, the Fire Department Air Rescue pilot Raymond "Ray" Gaines (Dwayne Johnson) will drive his daughter Blake (Alexandra Daddario) to San Francisco since she has joined the university. He is divorcing from his wife Emma (Carla Gugino) that intends to move in together with her wealthy boyfriend Daniel Riddick (Ioan Gruffudd). Meanwhile the researchers Dr. Lawrence Hayes (Paul Giamatti) and Dr. Kim Park (Will Yun Lee) from the Caltech travel to a dam to check their seismic studies and there is a strong earthquake collapsing the dam that kills Kim. Lawrence discovers that the San Andreas Fault is moving and will cause a huge earthquake in Los Angeles and San Francisco. Ray needs to travel to help the victims from the dam and Daniel offers to take Blake to San Francisco since he has a meeting in the city. Daniel brings Blake to his office and while waiting for him, she befriends the British architect Ben Taylor (Hugo Johnstone-Burt) and his younger brother Ollie Taylor (Art Parkinson). When Ray is flying to the dam, there is an earthquake in Los Angeles and he rescues Emma. When the earthquake reaches San Francisco, Daniel escapes with Blake to his limousine but the building collapses and she is trapped inside the car. Daniel flees from the building and leaves Blake behind. Blake succeeds in contacting her father but the cell phone dies. What will happen to her?

"San Andreas" is a popcorn disaster movie, a genre that was usual in the 70's, but with state-of-art special effects. Unfortunately, the lame and corny story is ridiculous. Ray uses the helicopter to rescue his wife and daughter and destroy it. He steals a pickup truck; an airplane from the hangar; and a boat to save his daughter apparently with no consequences. His ex-wife Emma resolves all her issues with Ray in the middle of the chaos. There is no cell phone, but the fixed-line telephone works perfectly despite the destruction and havoc. Blake, Ben and Ollie save the film. There is a tsunami and Ray drives the motor boat in the middle of the debris and possible survivors as if he were in a race. In the end, love is beautiful! My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Terremoto: A Falha de San Andreas"("Earthquake: The San Andreas Fault")
  • San Andreas is a big dumb disaster action film but it is entertaining enough with some good special effects.

The Rock plays a rescue pilot and a brave one as we see in the beginning. However he is soon to be divorced, as his ex has found a millionaire property magnate, he also cannot get over the death of his other child.

When the big quake strikes, The Rock springs into action, despite all the chaos he rescues his wife from the top of a collapsing building and then goes looking for his daughter, abandoned by her mother's boyfriend and aided by two random British kids she just met.

Never mind other people who are injured or needs rescuing, the Rock only has his family in mind and he will commandeer any vehicle he can get his hands on.

The rest of the cast are underwritten such as Paul Giamatti's seismologist doing his best to warn others.

A popcorn film that you will see once and that is it. However how many times will we see The Golden Gate Bridge being destroyed though?
  • It has been quite a few years since I made much of an effort when it came to summer blockbusters; yes their main selling point is spectacle so in theory you want the biggest sound system and screen you can get, but personally I'll take a smaller version of those in return for not paying a fortune for a ticket, and not having to deal with the cinema going public. And so it was that I watched San Andreas while catching up with several weeks worth of laundry – just like I imagine the director envisaged. The plot is of course very simple – lots of buildings get destroyed by an earthquake, people die in horrific but yet sanitized ways, and ultimately it will all (somehow) be okay in the end. Providing a human focus for all of this is helicopter pilot Ray who spends the film trying to rescue his family.

Ignoring the moral ambiguity of him clearing off on a personal mission with his skills (and helicopter) at a time when he could have helped many more than the few members of his immediate family, this provides a reasonable frame for the film to keep us vaguely caring. And it is vague because when the film stops moving for even a minute, you really do tend to feel it. Luckily it doesn't do this much, and instead we get lots of effects, noise, and general destruction. The money is on the screen and, although it does get tiresome before the end, it at least is distracting. The cast are mostly pretty poor as they are thrown around sets. Johnson is, as ever, a strong presence – he is of course a big man first and foremost, but he does have great leading man chops and he is engaging and charismatic throughout. Gugino runs and yells alongside him, while Daddario does her main job of being very attractive and in peril. Gruffold is obviously smarmy, while Johnstone-Hurt and Parkinson are odd additions and their awkward British characters never seem to fit.

In the end it is noisy nonsense and it filled two hours of domestic chores, giving me just enough to distract me but never risking me being engaged to the point that I might be too engrossed to finish the work. Watched as such it was okay, but I doubt it would hold up to being the only thing you were doing while watching.
    Remember Clark Gable searching for Jeanette Macdonald in 1906? Lana Turner struggling to avoid falling trees in exotic settings in two different movies? Charleston Heston and Ava Gardner struggling to find a way out of collapsed skyscrapers? Even Superman reversing a quake. Now those had moments of tension that were gripping and nail biting, but it was all about survival and helping others cope and nothing more. Along came the modern disaster movie which took basically the same synopsis and plugged in different names, different types of natural cataclysmic horrors and shoving it all around an estranged or separated family determined to get back together no matter what the cause.

This surrounds the heroic Dwayne Johnson, aka "The Rock", having him and his ex-wife in a helicopter flying from L.A. to S.F. to rescue their daughter after his ex-wife Carla Gugino's boyfriend abandoned her, leaving her with a foppish British lad and his pesky younger brother. This was acceptable in "Dante's Peak", silly but tolerable in "The Day After Tomorrow" and eye- rolling and outlandish in "2012". If you thought that the exploding freeways and the collapsing buildings threatening the family driving and later flying through it, wait until you see ex-wife jumping up on collapsing debris to get to the Rock's helicopter.

I had a feeling of the mentality of this movie with the opening of a twit- wit girl, not paying attention while driving through the San Gabriel mountains, looking back to grab a bottle of water and her phone (of course) and going over a cliff hundreds of feet because of rocks falling from a smaller quake, and surviving barely getting dirt on her face. How could the creators of this not realize what a disaster they had on their hands, maybe not in box office dollars (you could sell the Hoover dam to these types of movie audiences) but in critical pans. Blame "Titanic" for starting this wave of formula films that in retrospective just didn't know where to stop.

Certainly watchable, this is beyond flawed and outlandish in so many ways. Computer generated effects and ear blasting dramatic music just intensify how over the top. As tragic as the real thing would be, there is no way that these characters would survive any of these intense situations. It's all too much, too repetitive, too dark and after a while, it is obvious what is going to happen. I can only watch so many of these movies, not just because of their absurdities, but because of the grim future they predict, and, I'm sorry. That ain't entertainment.
    PLOT SPOILER REVIEW???

Ray (Dwayne Johnson) is ex-military working for LA Fire and Rescue. In the opening scene, God rightly attempts to kill the world's most distracted driver, and Ray foils the plan with a helicopter that has its own swagger music. In a subplot that never connects, Paul Giamatti plays Professor Hayes at Cal Tech who predicts the big one, i.e what happens in Vegas, happens in LA.

The basic plot is the same as an Asylum disaster movie plot. A great disaster happens, and the film concentrates on one typical 2.3 child family trying to come together. In this case substitute a new male friend and his brother for 1.3 kids. The main difference is that Ray is separated from his wife (Carla Gugino) who is going to live with her new boyfriend Daniel (Ioan Gruffudd) and his daughter Blake (Alexandra Daddario). Yes I had "Taken" plot flashbacks and wondered if they were going to include Albanians. Liam Neeson would have stopped the looters.

As far as the plot, I really don't have to say anything more. Unless you are younger than the film rating, you will have the whole thing figured out in the first 10 minutes. Even the action within the scenes are predictable, like the Hoover dam scene hand off.

The soundtrack was typical. What separated this from an Asylum flick was the special effects, actors, and lack of insignia gaffs.

If you want on overly predictable action/disaster film, this is it.

Guide: 1-2 F-bombs. No sex or nudity.
  • kosmasp10 July 2015
    It has been quite some time, since we last had a movie like this. You can't really invent anything new with the formula. All you can throw at the viewer (no pun intended) are the best possible special effects. Clichés? Well you know you'll get them. You also get very beautiful people here in the main roles (if you're not offended by that, you'll go on a journey with them).

The Rock saving people? That's not a stretch. His charisma shines through the screen and you believe he's able to do most of the things that are depicted in this. The story itself is not going to have you guessing too much, but it's sufficient enough to carry what's going on. It's decent and the movie entertaining enough
  • The San Andreas Fault is 100 years overdue to get angry, but all that changes as the biggest earthquake (of course it is!) rips up. Ray (Dwayne Johnson) is a rescue Pilot, with family issues, his wife Emma has left him for Daniel Riddick. Daniel is in San Francisco with Ray's daughter Blake, when the Earthquakes start cranking up.

So the start sets the tone, a woman in a Jeep hurtles off several rock faces and is OK. I'm surprised she wasn't lifting out clutching a Prada handbag and a bichon frise. All sense of reality has now gone.

The CGI, special effects are utterly breathtaking, a step up from Day after tomorrow, 2012 etc, they are literally jaw dropping. The Hoover Dam destruction is awesome, that cost a few $£'s to produce. The filming and camera-work throughout are brilliant.

The acting for the most part is pretty good, with this time of action movie you're not going to get Shakespeare. Great to see the stunning Archie Panjabi appear (Journalist.) Alexandra Daddario is really good (it's those eyes.)

Some elements that you'd expect, Ray being able to pinpoint Emma in San Francisco, very likely? The Blake story also makes The Day after tomorrow's family meet up seem realistic. Every cliché imaginable is on show, there are too many to even begin, once again partner's new love turns out to be no good (when are they ever?) Almost every scene is contrived, whatever they need appears, cars, planes, phones.

If disaster strikes I want more then Dwayne Johnson, Kylie and a guy with his laptop telling me to drop, cover and hold on.

In some ways it's shocking, but it's too much fun to hate, incredibly repetitive, but very watchable in spite of it's huge flaws. 6/10
  • This big-budget disaster movie sees Dwayne Johnson playing Raymond Gaines, a rescue helicopter pilot with the Los Angeles Fire Department. His wife is filing for divorce and her wealthy new boyfriend, Daniel Riddick, is taking Raymond's daughter, Blake, to San Francisco because he has to fly to Nevada after an earthquake destroys the Hoover Dam. Seismologists soon realise that it is a precursor to a massive quake that devastates Los Angeles and causes major damage throughout California. Raymond manages to rescue his wife and the pair head north to save their daughter. She is now with a pair of British boys, Ben and Ollie, the older of whom was in the city to apply for a job at Daniel's firm. Then an even larger quake strikes San Francisco; Blake and the boys must head to safe higher ground and hope Raymond can get to them.

If you are looking for realism you are in the wrong place but if you just want an exciting roller-coaster ride of a movie where the protagonists survive a succession of disasters by the narrowest of margins then this is the film for you. The opening scene features a daring rescue which serves to introduce Raymond. After a very brief lull to introduce his family the action proper gets started. This begins with the spectacular destruction of the Hoover Dam and then escalates as we see Los Angeles and later San Francisco decimated; buildings collapse and famous landmarks destroyed. Dwayne Johnson impresses as Raymond Raines and the rest of the cast are solid even if the characters are for the most part playing second fiddle to the special effects. These effects looked fantastic on my relatively small television; I imagine they would have looked amazing on the big screen. Overall I'd say that this is well worth watching if you want a thrilling ride.
  • In the aftermath of a massive earthquake in California, a rescue-chopper pilot . Raymond Gaines (Dwayne Johnson) searches his estranged ex-wife (Carla Gugino) who is about to marry her new suitor (Ioan Gruffudd) . Both of them make a risked journey across the state in order to rescue his daughter Emma (Alexandra Daddario) . Meantime , the researchers Dr. Lawrence Hayes (Paul Giamatti) and Dr. Kim Park (Will Yun Lee) from the worldwide geophysical Caltech team are investigating strange events and learn that the earth's core is heating up, as they travel to a dam to control their seismic studies and there is a strong earthquake collapsing the dam. Later on , an earthquake causing death, destruction and wreak havoc. They fight for saving a fraction of the city's population, but the entire big town is doomed , as the citizens to escape the impending cataclysm. Along the way Raymong struggles to find a way to save his family. This impressive quake has an awesome and destructive power enhanced by the overwehelming special effects and digital sound. Ever have one of those days...? Pray you don't.Where will you be, who will you be with? San Andreas. We always knew this day would come. Then a series of global catastrophes threatens to annihilate mankind and unprecedented eruptions and earthquakes of unprecedented strength wreak havoc all around California. We Were Warned .Who will be left behind?The end is just the beginning. Geologists predicted it...Now, science has confirmed it...but we never imagined it could really happen. Mankind's earliest civilization warned us this day would come...

Ordinary catastrophe movie in thrilling and vintage style with all star cast dealing with a huge earthquake outbursts at the noisy city of San Francisco . Acceptable disaster movie paced in fits and starts with a great cast, though a little wasted . The plot summary centers in a valiant pilot who goes to look for his daughter and a sismologist who predicts disasters , fighting amount of dangers because of San Andreas Fail is cracking . The F.X. of computer generator are first rate , better than the classics 7o and 80 :"Earthquake", "Inferno towering" and likeness to "Volcano" or "Armaguedon" and ¨2012¨. Thrilling screenplay dispenses absurd excitement as well as spectacular scenes and lots of action . This is a fast-paced, stylized disaster-spectacle film with noisy action , thrills , chills and strong images of destruction and chaos. In addition , cinematography and musical score are breathtaking . The impressive , state-of-art special effects and the good cast cannot save this passable film , at all . It lacks deep characterization , displaying some boring moments and a tiring script that was presumibly well paid . This was a successful catastrophe movie that belongs to disaster movie genre that in the 70s and 80s achieved splendor , such as : ¨Towering inferno¨ , ¨Poseidon¨, ¨Beyond Poseidon¨ , ¨The swarm¨, ¨Avalanche¨, ¨The Russian rollercoaster¨, ¨Avalanche express¨ , ¨Airport I, II, III..¨ and whose main representative was producer Irwin Allen . All of them packed primitive and traditional special effects , with no computer generator effects ; nowadays , these catastrophe movies are plenty of 3D FX , showing breathtakingly realist images . Main cast is pretty well, giving understanding interpretations , such as : Dwayne Johnson as pilot Raymond Gaines , wife Carla Gugino , their daughter Alexandra Daddario and Paul Giamatti . Support cast is frankly good such as Daniel Riddick , Ioan Gruffudd , Archie Panjabi , Hugo Johnstone , Art Parkinson , Will Yun Le and brief appearance by singer Kylie Minogue .

It delivers a colorful and evocative ambient thanks to an expert cinematography cameraman by Steve Yedlin . As well as a frightening , suspenseful and moving musical score by Andrew Lockington . Being lavishly as well as efficiently produced , and competently directed by Brad Peyton . This non-sense but enjoyable disaster movie was decently directed by the Canadian writer/producer/filmmaker Brad Peyton , though with no originality and it has some flaws and gaps . Brad Peyton is a good writer , producer and filmmaker who has directed a few acceptable films , such as : ¨San Andres¨ , ¨Journey 2: The Mysterious Island¨, ¨Project Rampage¨ and ¨Incarnate¨ and he is shooting San Andreas II . Rating : 6/10 . Passable and decent catastrophe movie
    Awesome. Magnificent. Spectacular. Breath-taking. But that's enough about buxom beauty Alexandra Daddario in her tight vest… what about the rest of the film?

Well, San Andreas delivers precisely what one might expect from a big-budget disaster movie starring Dwayne' The Rock' Johnson: a scientist (Paul Giamatti) who tries to warn of the impending disaster; a strained relationship between hero Ray (Johnson) and his tasty wife Emma (Carla Gugino), which will, of course, be resolved before the end credits roll; the destruction of several famous landmarks; a resourceful, plucky daughter (Daddario) who has learnt all she knows from her resourceful, plucky father; numerous narrow escapes for all of the main characters, from falling buildings, explosions, crashing vehicles, and tidal waves; impressive CGI effects that pervade almost every single frame; and a nasty character who gets what he deserves (a container ship on his head!). In short, San Andreas delivers almost all of the expected clichés of the genre—all that's missing is a cute dog saved from the jaws of death in the nick of time.

It's highly preposterous and predictable Hollywood nonsense the likes of which we have seen many times before, but it is sufficiently loud, chaotic, and expertly executed to be worth the price of a ticket for most disaster movie fans.

My favourite moments (apart from Daddario sunbathing in her bikini and her underwater swim, that is): the ground breaking open and a tube train spilling out onto the streets of San Fransisco, and the big surprise waiting for Ray and Emma at the top of the tidal wave.

7.5 out of 10, happily rounded up to 8 for—you guessed it—Alexandra Daddario.
    I like disaster movies, in occasional doses. I was particularly drawn to this one because it deals with the real science of Earthquakes and the fact that a big one along the San Andreas fault is way overdue.

The science is dealt with really well by always excellent Paul Giamatti as fictional Cal Tech professor Dr. Lawrence Hayes. He and his post-docs are studying ways to monitor seismic instruments all up and down California to develop an early warning system to get people to safety when a quake is about to hit.

The star is action junkie Dwayne Johnson as Raymond Gaines. The opening scene shows him in action as a helicopter pilot and rescue specialist when a distracted driver ends up with her car clinging to a canyon wall and needing rescue. But as good as he is at rescuing others, he seems unable to rescue his marriage and later we see him get divorce papers needing signing.

His beautiful wife is played by one of my favorites, Carla Gugino as Emma Gaines. And they have a pretty 20-ish daughter, Alexandra Daddario as Blake Gaines. There also is the rich but evil, or at least egotistical, new boyfriend, Ioan Gruffudd as Daniel Riddick. (Riddick? Did they have to use that name??)

So naturally the big Earthquake everyone out west fears is hitting, people are in danger, parents and their daughter get separated, and we see if Gaines can effect yet another low-percentage rescue, this time his own family.

So overall the story of the quake is a neat story, it may actually happen in our lifetimes. Or it may not. Plus as we expect of modern movies the special effects are great, it even made me a bit sad to see some of my favorite places being destroyed. But the relationship stories, as important as they are, mostly came across as predictable and "cheesy".

Yet I did enjoy the movie, and the sound effects gave my SVS subwoofer a good workout!

SPOILERS: Daughter traveled to San Francisco, with mom's new rich boyfriend, but parents were still in Los Angeles when the quakes started to hit. When the S.F building started to crumble boyfriend ran to safety, leaving daughter trapped in parking garage. Two brothers came to her rescue while dad rescued mom and they headed north via helicopter. But the helicopter crapped out, they had to steal a pickup truck. They came to an impassable new ravine across the highway so traded for a fixed wing plane. S.F was being torn apart and a tsunami was arriving, no place to land they had to parachute out. Unable to get to a hill on foot, they used a boat. Against all odds they found the daughter and the two brothers and rescued them from a flooding building. Mom sent boyfriend a message, "If you aren't dead yet I'm going to F-ing kill you!"
  • Right, well there is no doubt about it, that this 2015 disaster movie was going to be one of those by-the-book disaster movies that end up being so predictable that even a blind man knows what will happen way before it did on the screen. And sure enough, director Brad Peyton didn't fail to live up to that and deliver a very predictable movie.

With that being said, I am not saying that "San Andreas" is a bad movie. Actually it was very, very enjoyable. It was so predictable that it was actually becoming fun to watch and bet on what would happen throughout the movie. But also the special effects. This certainly was a Hollywood CGI and special effects galore from start to end. And it was the special effects that kept the movie afloat, pardon the pun.

The story is about a shift on the tectonic plates which cause several massive earthquakes to strike the coast of USA, causing unprecedented damage to cities and the country. And in the middle of all the chaos and destruction is Raymond Gaines (played by Dwayne Johnson) and Emma Gaines (played by Carla Gugino) in a desperate search for their daughter Blake Gaines (played by Alexandra Daddario).

You know how this movie turns out even way before you actually press the play button on the remote. But still, just sit back and enjoy all the action and the special effects, because it really is breathtaking. If you enjoyed the "2012" movie - the one with John Cusack - then you will most definitely also enjoy "San Andreas".

As I have mentioned already, then this is first and foremost a CGI and special effects movie, and a huge chunk of credit should really be given to the CGI and special effects team for what they pulled off here. It was an amazing ride to sit through this movie, because all the destruction and mayhem looked so realistic and so awesome. But one thing that puzzled me was the lack of human bodies. Wouldn't there be lots and lots of dead people around in the debris and floating around in the water? Oddly enough there was very, very little of that to be seen. It was a shame, because it would have been a nice and realistic detail to the movie.

The acting in the movie was good, and I think that Dwayne Johnson did an okay job here, although it wasn't his best of performances. It was, however, Paul Giamatti (playing Dr. Lawrence Hayes) who put on the most memorable performance in the movie. And it was also a nice thing to watch Ioan Gruffudd (playing Daniel Riddick) in a role such as the one he had in this movie.

"San Andreas" is not a movie that challenges the intellect of the audience in any way, but it is a thrill ride that is more than worth to sit through. And while the movie is permeated by a sense of Dwayne Johnson's character being of almost super-human proportions and can handle everything that Mother Nature throws against him, it is still an enjoyable movie. Just don't think too much about what is going on around you on the screen, just sit back and enjoy the ride.
  • Just watched this with my movie theatre-working friend. Seeing the images in 3-D, this was pretty exciting but if there weren't characters we cared about, I don't think this would have been as good. Dwayne Johnson is fine as the hero saving his family during an earthquake with ex-wife Carla Gugino-who previously appeared with him in Race to Witch Moountain and Faster-also playing a true heroine-helping when needed. Their daughter also proves her mettle when she gets involved with a couple of British brothers-one close to her age and his little brother-in helping them survive. Paul Giamatti is fine as the scientist who explains to his colleagues-therefore us-how serious things are as they happen. Oh, and I guess Ioan Gruffudd-who I always first think of as Reed Richards-Mr. Fantastic-in the Fantastic Four movie I saw a decade ago-is basically-well, not a villain but a jerk of a character who leaves his stepdaughter-or is she since I can't remember if he was even married to Ms. Gugino-when she was at her most danger! Didn't surprise me what happened to him! Anyway, me and my friend highly enjoyed San Andreas.
  • edwagreen13 March 2016
    **1/2
    This film defies the definition of disaster movies. Irwin Allen, move over.

One thing that all disaster movies seem to have in common is that it always must bring in the inter personal relations of people or families. This film is no exception.

Before the quakes hit, a woman is in the process of divorcing her husband and getting ready to move in with another. They lost one daughter in a rafting accident. The daughter accompanies the guy to San Francisco and when the quake hits, she is trapped in a car and he flees the scene. This was cowardice at its worst.

Naturally, the woman and the soon to be ex-husband get together to rescue the daughter. They bond. Notice how in films that it always take a disaster to bring people together.

Paul Giamatti is as much of a geologist as the man on the moon. Nice seeing Archie Panjabi, after her stint on "The Good Wife," as Kalinda Sharma, in this film as a reporter. At least the film allows her to use her British accent.

Only in the movies could the couple miraculously find their daughter in the rubble because they knew she was smart enough to seek high ground.
  • This film tells the story of the leader of a rescue team in California, who fights against the formidable forces of nature to save his family from an earthquake of an unprecedented scale.

Right from the very first scene, the film has got me holding my breath, eyes wide open and my palms sweating like mad. That is just the beginning, and the intensity is unbelievably maintained throughout the film. While watching it, I could not believe how realistic the disaster scenes are, to the point that it brought tears to my eyes. It looks so real that it is as if I was watching the news.

For most films, you would have seen the best bits in the trailer. For "San Andreas", every scene is trailer worthy. They did not even put the most devastating, jaw dropping and spine tingling scenes in the trailer. The depiction of massive destruction, or total annihilation of urban areas is very realistic, constantly bombarding the senses and pushing emotions to sky high. I can honestly say this is the best disaster film I have ever seen.
    This action thriller has Dwayne Johnson playing Ray Gaines, a search and rescue helicopter pilot, who has to change vacation plans with his daughter Blake(Alexandria Daddario), when the Andreas Fault line gives way and the Hoover Damn is the first big calamity. Ray and his soon-to-be ex-wife Emma(Carla Gugino)make a treacherous trek over a crumbling Los Angeles to try and find their daughter, who is on a trip to San Francisco with Emma's new companion(Ioan Gruffudd). If the monster magnitude 9 earthquake wasn't enough for Frisco...on comes a tsunami.

The whole story line just doesn't jive for some reason. The CGI disaster effects did get a lot of screen time, but I just couldn't feel any fear or urgency. Maybe the lion's share of the budget went to "The Rock" and FX. I can say that Miss Daddario had me at first sight. I'm not familiar with her previous work; but she saved this movie for me! Other players include: Paul Giamatti, Hugo Johnstone-Burt, Art Parkinson and Kylie Minogue.
  • It's CGI destruction time as Dwayne Johnson battles earthquakes and a tsunami to go rescue his daughter - with estranged wife in tow of course.

Disaster films are easy to kick because very rarely they are nothing more than candy carnage with a trite screenplay and cheese laden dialogue. Such is the case with San Andreas. In essence this is a remake of Roland Emmerich's 2012, only this is the shorter version with the time span that 2012 should have had. This does exactly what the marketing department promised it would, namely lots of crash bang and wallop, but just like Emmerich's behemoth it gets boring entering the final third, the writing just not good enough to hold interest once the noise and destruction dies down before the big finale arrives. Suspense is absent, emotional investment in characters is null and void, while there are no worthwhile surprises in store. But on the plus side Johnson is a likable guy and he carries us through till the end of what is a fun movie if expectation levels are appropriately set at dumb popcorn fodder. 6/10
  • One of the stand outs from the 1970s disaster movies was Mark Robson's 1974 film EARTHQUAKE . Where that film worked best is the character vignettes especially Marjoe Gortner's creepy and fascist National Guard soldier . There was also a streak of enjoyable meanness along with special effects that were achieved without the easy and lazy option of CGI and I came in SAN ANDREAS with EARTHQUAKE in the back of my mind

!!!!! SPOILERS !!!!!!

To be fair this is probably the wrong mindset which works against SA . The main bulk of the story revolves around Dwayne Johnson's para-rescue hero trying to save his wife and daughter during a mega-quake in California . The other characters are underwritten cyphers that are hard to care . That said Ray and his family are also difficult to care about but I'm guessing this isn't really a film people go to see due to the cast and want to spectacle ad here the film does succeed to an extent , though things do get overblown such as a cruise liner cashing in to buildings . You're also aware - though it isn't very noticeable here - that in this day and age if an effect is done it's nearly always done via CGI and green screen and technology over the years means cinema has lost a lot of its magic

Where SA really falls down is its lack of meaness . A few unnamed extras suffer death via spectacle in the initial quake and rather impressive is the chap running down a stairwell where the wall collapses and he falls out of the building . Tough luck dude but these are a bit few and far between for my liking and because the audience no emotional investment with these cyphers their deaths have little impact . The film's climax features Ray trying to save his daughter's life via CPR and thought for one moment we might actually have a rare Hollywood blockbuster with a downbeat ending . I was to be disappointed
  • Another Big Dose for Folks to Maintain an Immunity to Loss of Life and Preaching Old Testament Style. There are Literally Millions of Violent Deaths in this Popcorn Picture and Barely a Drop of Blood In sight. A shard of Glass in the Leg is as Gory as it Gets.

Watching Los Angeles, San Francisco and much of California Experiencing "An Act of God", feels Like a Religious Fundamentalist Wish Fulfillment. After all, haven't TELEvangelists and other Propaganda Pundits been Warning these Secularists and Fornicators about the "End Times" Endlessly.

So, In what looks like a Wrathful God's SFX A-Team, that New-Age Sodom and Gomorrah (SF and L.A.), Falling Into the Pit of Hell and the Lake, the Audience just Sits there Agape at the Almighty's Destructive Powers. It is Bloodless because God has Mercy in the Mercilessness to Rate it PG-13 so Younger Folks can get the Message Without Suffering too Much Trauma.

Seriously, this is a standard State of the Art No-Brainer with Enough Eye Candy to Cause an Epidemic of Diabetes. It is Spectacle, Pure and Really Really Simple. Some Receive Great Pleasure in this Type of thing and others just Know going in that it is Going to Be...God-Awful.

Recommended for the Former and Not Recommended for the Latter. You Know Who You Are.
  • The Rock is a heroic Los Angeles Fire Department rescue helicopter pilot with a tragic backstory. He reunites with his super hot estranged wife Carla Gugino and they race to San Francisco to find their super hot daughter Alexandra Daddario as the largest earthquake ever hits California. Predictable to a (San Andreas) fault and rife with every cliché you can think of, this movie really shouldn't work. However, disaster movies have a long tradition of being entertaining as a whole despite the separate parts being terrible. What helps this one the most is an extremely likable cast that act like superheroes for nearly two hours. If you are in this movie and you have a remotely selfish thought, you won't make it out alive. This movie's big on karma. Which I guess it should be since it's a movie designed to appeal to the masses who don't want something thought-provoking, just some solid entertainment to take their mind off their crappy lives for awhile. On that front, the movie works very well. It's a nice diversion that gives you beautiful people, lots of action, and very good CGI. Popcorn movie fun and nothing wrong with that. Shut your brain off and enjoy.
  • Incredibly bad, even by (low) disaster movie standards.

A series of massive earthquakes hits Nevada and California. Caught in the middle is a helicopter rescue pilot, Raymond Gaines (Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson). Flying his helicopter he must first rescue his ex- wife, Emma (Carla Gugino), and then his daughter, Blake (Alexandra Daddario). Meanwhile, a pre-eminent seismologist, Dr Lawrence Hayes (Paul Giamatti), is trying to predict where the next earthquake will hit.

Pretty much every disaster movie cliché and stereotype is on display here. Plot is incredibly formulaic, you could substitute "earthquake" with any number of disasters - floods, fire, asteroid, sharknado (!), to name but a few - and have dozens of other movies, most of which would be better than this.

The writers don't even bother trying to be original in the plot, or even have much of a plot. The main aim is for the director to show off his CGI skills, through collapsing buildings, large holes in the ground, tidal waves, scenes of destruction etc, all set against familiar backgrounds (eg San Francisco's CBD). Anything else is just a segue to the next CGI-generated catastrophe.

As far as the casting goes, some interesting appearances, though this movie is not going to enhance anyone's CV. Not surprising to see The Rock in the lead role - this sort of schlock is what he does. Paul Giamatti must have really needed the money as this is far beneath his abilities. A bad sign for Ioan Gruffudd as he is capable of better roles (as the Hornblower series would attest to) - I guess this means his Hollywood career has stalled. Good to see Alexandra Daddario though, and not for her acting ability...

Avoid - this is excruciatingly awful.
    . . . as all of its major cities down to the size of (and as far inland as) Bakersfield are destroyed, and the vast majority of inhabitants (that is, tens of millions) slip from the voting rolls into the abyss. Thanks to SAN ANDREAS, we now know that Standard Operating Procedure for American First Responders in cataclysmic disasters is to Save Your Own Family Members First (no matter how many innocent bystanders you have to ignore, if not mow down hit-and-run fashion). I estimated that "The Rock's" indestructible over-sized zodiac boat chopped off the heads of 387 folks bobbing in the waters filling the streets of San Francisco. SAN ANDREAS also teaches us that life will go back to normal in a day or two, even if California's clout in Congress is reduced to the size of Montana's (as its need for crematoriums easily quadruples Hitler's during the entirety of WWII). The Science of SAN ANDREAS postulates that the Hoover Dam is built upon a so-far obscure branch of the SAN ANDREAS fault. Lastly, this flick reveals an urgent need to reinforce America's iconic H-O-L-L-Y-W-O-O-D sign, before it's too late!