• I must admit, when I originally started to watch the show I had low expectations. Mainly because though I'd previously enjoyed Mindy Kaling's portrayal of Kelly Kapoor on The Office (US), I'd seen characters who are hilarious in supporting roles not be able to translate that humor into an entire show based around them as the lead character... I'm looking at you cast of Seinfeld. However, I was pleasantly surprised to be completely wrong in this case.

This really is a great show that doesn't take itself to seriously. Also, I thoroughly enjoy the soundtrack. But the dialogue is where it's at... I'm actively working to make my friends converts for the show so I can start quoting it more... "We get it, you're smarter than us because you read the newspaper" -- it's like Mindy read my mind, people who read the news are just the worst, surpassed only by morning people.
  • ancelikelly27 February 2013
    I'm surprised the ratings aren't a little higher for "The Mindy Project" - with a lot of the crap out there, "The Mindy Project" is refreshingly quite funny. The characters are quirky, and I have a smile on my face pretty much the whole time I am watching the show. It's a nice break from all the drama filled teenage/girls/vampire shows that seem to be all the rave right now.

This a light fun filled comedy, that i'd compare to "Parks and Rec" and "The Office." So if you like those shows then you'll probably like this one as well.

It's about a young doctor who is living similar lives to many woman in their earlier 30's. Can't find someone to settle down with but has a career and a nice friend base at her office. She's surrounded by characters who are mostly in the same boat as her.

The show is fast paced and filed with nutty dialogue and makes for a perfect show to watch during lunch, or if you need a break from hectic life.
  • Mindy Kaling delivers big time on this hilarious new show about being successful, ridiculous, and slightly awkward in a lovable way. This show is about Kaling, an OBGYN doctor who is balancing her path to finding love with work and is not afraid of being her funny self along the way. The first episode drew me in not only because of the witty banter between Mindy and her inevitable love interest but also because she is in essence every girl. Her love of romantic comedies and hope for these ideals to mirror her real life is fun to watch! This brown sugar also has an amazing cast of handsome co workers that make for some pretty good eye candy! This show is smart and witty and has plenty of laugh out loud moments! I hope that you all love this one!
    I started binge watching this a few weeks ago and was hooked. What I didn't realize is I would soon be watching it only for the development of Mindy and Danny's relationship. Throughout the first couple seasons, Mindy spends most of her time trying to find someone she can marry and have kids with; she's very into fairy tales. She is constantly quoting rom-com's and how she wants her own love story to be that way. I could relate immensely to this because I too am a huge fan of "happily ever afters". I thoroughly enjoyed the humor and was greatly enjoying the show, especially when Mindy and Danny finally got together. But then...that's where it all seemed to fall apart. End of Season 3 and Season 4 was full of her lying to Danny about what she wanted. She went from wanting a marriage and family (which was all she wanted in Season 1 and 2) to being career obsessed and not wanting anymore children. It was the polar opposite of the show I had been watching and I lost interest quickly. What made me stop watching the show completely was when they kept portraying Danny like it was his fault for her completely changing character. I am disappointed that they were willing to change her character for political reasons. I have no issue with a show wanting to portray a strong female role that works and has a family. I think they didn't develop the change of her wants very well, it was sudden abrupt change that left me confused and irritated, not supportive.
  • sarah-e-wong16 December 2012
    I love it! I watched the pilot on a flight and instantly knew I needed to watch more. I think the banter and jokes are really great. It's been a while where I laugh out loud. The character is strong but that is what I love about it as she is witty, smart, appears to be insecure but is actually confident and just rolling with the punches.

Usually, the first year of a series is awkward but I loved it from episode one. Can't wait for the next ones! It's great to finally see a show with a woman comedian - they do exist! It is a refreshing take on a topic with jokes that are snide remarks. So if you are not paying attention, you'll miss them.
  • alisa-nguyen2131 December 2012
    Love It
    I love this show. I'm a bit surprised that the rating aren't higher but I agree with the other post that men probably will appreciate it a bit less because of the type of humor and that it has a female role with female issues. You can kind of think of it as the opposite of The Office where The Office has people act stupid to get laughs and the Mindy Project is kind of SMH... so true lol.

The only thing that is a bit annoying is that the episodes are a bit sporadic because they're waiting to see how successful it will be.... I hope it appears more regularly and for longer... 30 minutes is not enough.
  • jordtant10 February 2018
    I really loved the 3 first seasons. But then something happened, Mindys friendships got less and less space (what happened to her best friend???) and it was just som dude, some guy, bla bla. I watched every season, just because of lojalty, but I must say that the last seasons just wasnt that funny :(
    Like other reviewers said, the show goes downhill in season three and keeps going downhill from that point on.

If you're looking for a light, funny comedy this is it for the first two seasons. Don't bother watching beyond that point. The show was pretty hilarious up until Mindy and Danny start getting involved. The dynamic in the show completely changes and from mid season three and on it's like you're watching a completely different show that is 1-not funny and 2-quite frankly, pretty annoying at times.

Too bad, they had a good thing going and F'ed it all up. We stopped watching right around episode 9 in season 4 and we will not be going back to it.
  • pip_kuruvilla6 October 2012
    The pilot episode had a few laughs but was underwhelming. That has changed with episode two where all the actors seems to have found their footing and the episode was very funny. Mindy's writing is sharp and if you like the humour on the Office, you should like this new series as well.

The supporting cast is pretty good as well, particularly Chris Messina whose susceptibility to irritation blends well with non stop chatter that is Mindy. There are swipes at the overemphasis of being politically correct in the workplace (just like in the Office), which makes for witty lines.
  • This show has me cracking up from the first minute to the last. Mindy's character is so funny, and best of all, relatable! She makes the dating game struggle so much more funny and light- hearted, and its a good reminder to not take things too seriously in life. I love the rest of the cast- Morgan is great- and I think Mindy and Danny have good chemistry. This show is so fresh and funny in completely new ways. Mindy really brings something irreplacable to the humor.

I was also shocked that the ratings weren't higher- but then I looked at the stats for the ratings, and men constantly rated it lower and women rated it much higher. That's fine, I'm not worried, just look at sex and the city. You don't need a male following at all to be a wildly successful show. I can't wait for season 2!
  • The first season of the Mindy Project was OK. There was some good chemistry. And the running jokes were funny.

By season three, the jokes were VERY STALE, and the cast changes were hurting the show. Betsy just disappeared. She was a fun contrast to the others, and she was just gone. No explanation.

Morgan continues as the clown, but the act is the same.

Mindy makes jokes about her being a hottie, being slim and fit, and the near constant running jokes about how much food she eats. Nothing original.

Jody was added to the cast, and I thought it might improve, but that did not help much. Danny was phased out, and the rest just muddled along.
  • leximk116 April 2013
    I love this show! It's really well-written and super funny. I'm also a huge fan of her from the Office and her book was awesome( seriously if you haven't read it you should!). She's really funny and easy to relate too,like I want to be her best friend. The cast is really cool and they works so well together, especially in the cameos. The plot isn't too dense, but there always a plot to follow each episode and a possible office romance. Not sure which character is my favorite yet because I love them all so much. It's a quirky show but easy to relate to because of Mindy's experiences throughout the season between boyfriends, her job and random opinions on things!
    I happily binge-watched the first few seasons. I was skeptic at first, what with a former Supporting actress from 'The Office' taking on a lead role in a TV series, but I was impressed.

I would recommend new viewers to go in with an open mind and would advise them not to get too attached to characters - this series chews through characters as fast as Game of Thrones. Characters either disappear with grandeur via their own story arcs, or as crude and viciously as post-season layoffs with no in-script explanation.

SPOILER WARNING.

After the first few seasons (I think I'm in Season 4) the show becomes rather dull and lifeless. The writers broke RomCom code and gave the main character, Mindy, a child and long-term boyfriend/husband. So you can safely drop the 'Romantic' tag from the movies genre listings.
  • fineartnudz19 January 2017
    I had high hopes for Mindy when I saw the first few episodes. But gradually she fell into the same old trap of making the whole show around her character's unrealistic view her romantic life. So much so that she writes out the one blonde character who's far more attractive than she is so she's surrounded by Ghetto Barbi and the Lunchroom Lady. This could have been a great show if only Kaling would have just been true to herself. There are tons of chubby, non-white, non-blonde, average looking young girls in need of role models on TV. They need to know you don't have to be pretty and slim to have a starring role on a show.
  • The 3 is only because I loved the first two seasons. It was funny and light with the right amount of sass. Enter Danny as boyfriend which I admit was initially exciting because it took so long for him to figure it out. Unfortunately I almost hate it now due specifically to Danny. He is a selfish, boorish, misogynistic a-hole and I have a hard time watching Mindy acquiesce to him time and time again. I actually feel anger toward his character and I feel like the show condones this behaviour towards women. It's pretty much unwatchable now unless they totally break up and he leaves the show. I also wish the show hadn't saddled her with a child, but here we are.
  • Lets start off with the cast. Everyone likes eye candy in a show and well this show won't have the likes that you see in CSI or Grey's anatomy. But its cast is strong, the characters are quirky and you grow attached to them.

The story is mostly one episode, one gig type but there is an internal connection between all the episodes, the best part is that no matter what mood you're in, happy, sad, angry...the Mindy project can always make you chuckle if not outright laugh.

There's a consistency about this show, it doesn't let you down. If you're a man this probably isn't your cup of tea but if you're a woman or even a girl this show is FUN and agreeable, i mean lets face it, we all are out there looking for the perfect guy while juggling our ambition! Give it a try beyond the pilot and you'll know what i mean.

This is my first review by the way, just for you Mindy!
  • After season 4 I had to motivate myself to keep watching. The characters just got too whiny and the quality it has in season 5 is lacking. I can't even finish the season/show from here.
    i LOVED the first couple of seasons of mindy... i had rated it a 9/10... then there were a couple of mediocre seasons that still were fine, but the last 2 were lame.

not funny, characters acting like caricatures of themselves, the same jokes... with extra weird right wing political moments thrown in here and there, characters added and taken away all over the place, and the final season - which i get was trying to wrap everything up tidily - was a rushed, predictable snooze-fest. i would rate the last 2 seasons a 3 or 4 out of 10.

so i'm balancing it out to a 6.

follow the advice - watch the early seasons then STOP. don't ruin it for yourself...
  • Melissaslist10 October 2012
    I loved Mindy Khaling. She is the perfect blend of charm and neurosis. This show is the perfect vehicle for her and I really hope it stays on TV because I think it has real potential.

It's a very good ensemble cast, especially with the latest addition of the new nurse who is an ex con. He's hilarious.

This show is funny and quirky similar to nurse Jackie. I know there are a billion channels nowadays with cable, .....these shows have to fight to find their audience. It's not a chick show either. I think it can be appealing to men and women. She's sort of a chubby Carrie Bradshaw. I'm rooting for Mindy because it's just plain fun.
  • A quick review after the beginning of the 3rd season.

"The Mindy Project" is a very enjoyable, painless, quirky comedy.

It's about a ...colleague of mine...Dr. Mindy Lahiri and her relationships in modern New York City.

The script is usually very good. The jokes and some one-liners make you laugh effortlessly. Some physical humor is also present. Overall a comedy which is enjoyable and fresh.

A major plus the absence of a "fake laugh track". I don't know about you but I don't like comedies that are trying to tell me WHEN to laugh.

Watch it and it will make your mood!
    Okay, she is the main character, BUT she is so full of herself, the world revolves around her, the way she treats others is not funny it's just bitchy. Gave it a shot, but after 6 episodes I'd rather watch the laundry dry. Some very good supporting characters, they deserve the 6 stars...
  • Mindy Kaling is a smart cookie. It shows in her character, the writing, and the dynamic of the show. I started watching the Mindy Project because it airs after New Girl and honestly as the episodes go by, I find myself liking Mindy's show more and more and have garnered quite a distaste for New Girl. The difference for me is in the strength of the female characters. Mindy does an amazing job portraying a smart, successful, self-possessed woman who is still charming, quirky, and sometimes neurotic. You won't find that combination in New Girl, at least not in the two female leads. I hope the Mindy Project keeps it up; any basic cable show that sneaks words like "defenestrated" in casual conversation is a winner in my book.
  • I was worried that this show was going to be a let down... It definitely proved me wrong. Mindy is as hilarious as always (if not even more so) and the show gets more addicting with each episode. The character of "Mindy" is able to connect with the viewer and seem like a real person without having to sacrifice the humour like they do in many other shows (which was something I loved about the office) It's definitely a show worth watching, especially if you're unsure. Very different than Kelly on the office but in some ways very similar. A comedy where the main actor plays a fully realized character that the average viewer can become invested in/relate to in many different ways.
    I love love love this show. I think that the writing and dialogue is absolutely hilarious. Witty and fast paced. I admit I hate the sexist attitude of Mindy's coworkers but that just makes it so much more entertaining to watch Mindy succeed. I think it's a great show and I think it's refreshing to see a woman on television who isn't the perfect American idea of beauty.I'm sick of seeing a tall, thin, perfect blonde complain about how hard it is for her to find a guy. She's curvy, and *gasp* she's not perfect. I think it's awesome to see a beautiful representation of what woman really look like on television. I didn't mean this to turn into some feminist statement so to wrap it up I'd just like to reiterate that this show is hilarious, and I really hope to see it on the air for at leas ta few more seasons!
  • zjin9913 January 2014
    Started watching this show, having no idea who Mindy Kaling was(having never watched the American version of 'The Office'). And now I adore her and this show! Have just completed watching a marathon of all the episodes.. and they had better not cancel it! The show is fresh, funny, quirky and really quite unique. Love the main character who is a little crazy and soo not-perfect, quite lovable and definitely relate-able, can be vulnerable but also gutsy- love how she just rolls with the punches! Enjoy the MindyDanny chemistry- usually very entertaining. Overall great writing, great cast. It would be a 10 if the female supporting cast got more 'meatier' roles and if they incorporated just a little more of the 'workplace' in 'workplace comedy.' Or did I misread that bit somewhere? All the same, I think that would nicely balance out the 'unconventional romcom' aspect of the show.