User Reviews (122)

• Having read a few strangely critical reviews, I felt compelled to add my own for balance. I am not going to compare this to this Muppet movie or that. I already see too many people doing that.

Having grown up with the original Muppet Show and seeing every movie and many TV specials, I have seen this bunch put together movies and shows with varying success.

The return to the big screen a few years ago was very welcome, and very well done. With this movie, I think they topped that and quite a few others! To me, as a lifelong fan, this easily ranks near the top of the best Muppet movies made.

Once I heard the opening number to the movie, I knew I was in for a treat. Every song in this movie was pure Muppet. Jim Henson always had a way of celebrating the best we all have to offer with a twinkle in his eye and a joke or two along the way. That spirit lives on in this movie. Whether it's doo wop, cheesy 70s music, or just a fun musical number, they cover a lot of ground.

The plot, as you may already be aware, involves some creative switcharoo, which is played off very well. This leads to a number of interesting scenes on both sides.

The movie is paced very well, and does a good job of switching back and forth between story lines. Just as you become reinvested in one, you're switched back to the other. You will most likely see your favorite Muppet at some point, although only a handful have significant parts. I always enjoy the familiar faces in the background scenes.

The human/Muppet ratio was back where it should be. Any proper Muppet movie should always star the muppets, with humans being "around". This delivered that perfectly, but also picked the perfect co-stars. Ty Burrell is fantastic, and his time with Sam the Eagle is wonderful, and something I had been looking forward to. Of course Tina Fey is great as well. She's Tina Fey!

There is a lot of well done will they or won't they at the end. You'll have to see for yourself if they do or if they don't!

And finally, while the matinée I went to wasn't hugely attended, there were a number of kids in the audience, and they all seemed to like the movie very much, even clapping at the end.

I personally enjoyed this movie quite a bit. I laughed A LOT. It's fun. It's silly. It's somewhat absurd at times, and that's what the Muppets are all about. And of course, they remind you how great it is to stick together with your friends and family. And any movie that can get the seal of approval from kids that includes clapping must be doing something right!
  • So, I saw it last night... and as much as I enjoyed it, something seemed missing. For a devoted fan like me, I believe the missing piece was the emotional impact that many of the great Muppet movies have had. Don't get me wrong, MMW was definitely fun, and I highly recommend it to anyone with kids, to keep the legacy alive. There was plenty of in-joke meta humor, sight-gags, visual puns (Christoph Waltz cameos as himself, dancing the Waltz with a bear), like the last one (and so many before that), which I love. There were references to previous movies (including nice plot AND song callbacks to The Muppets Take Manhattan - one of my favorite Muppet movies ever), and characters (Rizzo and Kermit's nephew Robin get a fun moment). And maybe it's just because the first movie of the Muppets reboot was SO damn good, and contained such incredible levels of nostalgia, but for long-time fans like myself, MMW didn't connect with me quite as well.

One big missing piece of the puzzle from the last movie, though, is Jason Segel. Even though this was written by Nicholas Stoller, Segel's writing partner in the first movie, the dialogue and the jokes sometimes fell a little flat. Segel's obvious deep-seeded love and fandom of the Muppets showed through in his script, and that same level of love wasn't here. Plus, Segel as Gary in the first movie, just brought a lot of on- screen fun with him. But of course, I understand that the Muppets don't typically have any permanent human counterparts, so if he had just continued writing on this one, I'd have been happy.

The songs were cute and fun, but nothing here nearly compares to the last film's soundtrack. Nothing catchy enough to stay in my head, like 'Man or Muppet' or 'Life's a Happy Song' were. No emotional punch like 'Pictures in My Head' was. I'm afraid that Bret McKenzie will not likely be able to continue his streak of Best Song Oscars. One of the more fun musical highlights, though, was Constantine's (the villain - who was just basically Kermit with a mole and ... a frog in his throat *rimshot*) off-handed seduction of Miss Piggy in one of his (THREE!) songs, "I'll Get You What You Want".

The human co-stars of the movie were Ty Burrell (Modern Family), Tina Fey and Ricky Gervais. All three shine in their scenes, and all seem to be up for all the fun of your typical Muppet movie, but Fey really stood out in her song "In The Gulag". She plays an over-the-top stereotypical Russian guard, keeping Kermit under lock and key for being mistaken for Constantine (the World's Most Dangerous Frog!), complete with Kermit, at one point, wearing a "Hogan's Heroes"-style hat. The rest of the human cameos were really fun, too. Hobo Joe re-cameos in this one, a carryover from the first movie. There's a cute surprise cameo at the end of the movie. The other standout amongst the cameos for me was Danny Trejo, who at one point, late in the film, you realize is playing... Danny Trejo, the Russian gulag prisoner, which I found to be immensely hilarious. A lot of the cameos are 'blink and you'll miss 'em', though. So the movie does have some rewatchability value for me, at some point.

The last thing I'll point out here is that there seemed to be a lot of Muppet cameos as well. MANY different older generation Muppets show up as background characters, so it was fun to play 'Spot the Familiar Muppet' throughout the film. My favorite was the Muppet Newsman, who unfortunately, had nothing bad happen to him.

So overall, I think the Muppet legacy has a great chance at continuing their legacy, and I think the last movie gained a lot of new young fans of the franchise, who will all enjoy this one immensely (since kids don't really have the same sort of emotional attachment to the Muppets that I might). I enjoyed the movie greatly for what it was, but am slightly disappointed in the movie for what I thought it could be. I look forward to the next movie, and may actually go back and give this one another chance, to see if maybe I misjudged it the first time around. Sometimes Muppet movies are like that... they take a second viewing to really appreciate the more subtle humor elements, catch some of the sight gags you might have missed the first time around, etc.

If any of you were planning to go this weekend, please don't be swayed by my review here to convince you otherwise. Go see it! And please come back and tell me how wrong I am. I'd love that, more than anything.
    I'm a Muppets fan and really enjoyed the 2011 film, but I am very, very disappointed with Muppets Most Wanted. This film is just an endless string of clichés. Very rarely is it genuinely witty or surprising. The script wrings all of the effect possible out of heist film tropes, caricatures of non-Americans (stuff that probably would have been HILARIOUS if this was 1964) and of course, the Muppet cast wearing their well-worn roles.

Easier for me to summarize are the good points. Ty Burrell was born to play a French Interpol detective in a Muppets film. Jemaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords works great as a young-Topol-lookalike Russian. And there are a few random gags here and there that hit home. Oh, and two or maybe three of the songs are either weird or catchy enough to be enjoyable.

But that's it. The plot is nothing great. The dialog lacks wit. Most of the songs are simply dialog set to autopilot melodies. The premise feels like it belongs in a decade of the past. "Kermit identity crisis" and "Muppets heist-related film" have already sort of been done in The Muppets Take Manhattan and The Great Muppet Caper, respectively. Not exact equivalents, but close enough to make Muppets Most Wanted seem like a lesser retread. I'm glad that the Muppets franchise has been re- energized, but like Star Trek, I have a hard time feeling like it's worth it unless they develop better stories for future installments.
  • Jim Henson's successors have tried for years to re-capture the magic of the original Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper, and Muppets Take Manhattan and have failed to take us to that special land of wonderment.

2011's "The Muppets" tried hard (maybe too hard) but stumbled out the gate by making us sit through unbearable musical numbers such as Texas Richman's rap and Amy Adams' "Me Party." It's plot also focused on a new Muppet, Walter, as well his human brother Jason Segel and his girlfriend Amy Adams rather than center around the original Muppet cast that we love so dear.

The creators of Muppets Most Wanted understood these shortcomings and comically pointed them out. I'm not saying that Muppets Most Wanted is as good as the original three, or date say better. But it is as close to Muppet-Greatness as we've been since Jim Henson's passing.

The writers found that perfect balance between silly and witty. The plot centered around the beloved original characters, while introducing a hilarious new villain. The musical numbers had that uplifting, old-school feel and never induced cringing.

We finally have a post-Henson Muppet Movie that will stand the test of time. Rejoice!
  • The Muppets find themselves wrapped into an European heist caper headed by a Kermit the Frog look-alike and his sidekick Number Two.

The last film put the Muppet's back on the the map, director/writer James Bobin and writer Nicholas Stoller corrects Bobin's own previous instalments niggles, gone is the focus on a new Muppet character and less focus on (real) human actors, here there's more Muppets, more songs, comedy and action.

Packed with one-liners gags and with the obligatory cross section of famous cameos including Tony Bennett, Lady Gaga, Celine Dion, Frank Langella and Ray Liotta to name a few there's all you'd expect from a Muppets musical comedy caper. This offering even excels it predecessor and brings the Muppet's even more to life with some CGI (footwork) but without taking away any of the puppet characteristics of the Muppets we've grown to love along side the human leads Ricky Gervais, Ty Burrell and Tina Fey who are on fine form.

This is another proper big budget outing set in the 'real' world and not cheap TV movie nor is it based on a classic story. Most Wanted is a fine return to form and sits well with the classic Muppet capers. Highly recommended.
    In the opening musical number of the Film they admitted it wouldn't be as good as the first Film....

With a very basic plot and loads of cameos the film could have been good, but instead it was far too long to hold my family's attention. Ricky Gervais wasn't believable as a proper baddie in the true over-the-top-obvious Muppet fashion and his performance together with the length of the film (at almost 2 hours) made for an uncomfortable time...some families actually left the cinema before the end. The few laughs were few and far between...so in conclusion unless you are as besotted with the Muppets as Tina Fey's character was I'd save your money for something else.
  • When I reviewed "The Muppets" (2011) upon its release, I was ecstatic about it. I loved the story, the songs, and everything the Muppets themselves did in the movie.

Most people who saw "The Muppets" who were not Muppet fans before seeing it enjoyed the film. Muppet fans themselves, in addition to loving the movie, could sense the heart and passion the filmmakers put into every aspect, and felt no doubt everyone involved in making "The Muppets" were Muppet fans themselves.

"Muppets Most Wanted" is the 8th Muppet movie, but the first one that is technically a sequel because it acknowledges the events that took place in its immediate predecessor. Many of those involved in "The Muppets" return in this sequel, including director and co-writer James Bobin, co-writer Nicholas Stoller, songwriter (and Oscar-winner) Bret McKenzie, and all the Muppets including newcomer Walter . . . but something was missing.

As I watched the film, I could see all the Muppets were there, and it seemed like they were trying to perform "The Muppet Show" as well as they did in their previous film. There was a coherent story about a criminal mastermind who happened to look identical to Kermit the Frog, and exploits this coincidence to help him escape from prison.

I wanted this movie to make me laugh. I want to tell everyone that the Muppets are cool and funny again like I did back when I saw "The Muppets" . . . but I can't.

The problem may have had to do with the story, or at least the motivations of antagonist and Kermit-lookalike Constantine. With his partner in crime Dominic Badguy (pronounced BA-jee, & played by Ricky Gervais), he uses the Muppets' world tour as a front to rob European museums of their precious diamonds.

"The Great Muppet Caper" had a similar plot, but that movie was more clever because virtually all the Muppets in that movie parodied how overdone such a plot was. This movie doesn't even want to acknowledge the banality of that hackneyed plot line, or even consider why any modern audience would care about a jewel heist.

Also, whereas the songs were a major strength in "The Muppets", the song "We're Doing A Sequel" is the only one worth remembering. It's a promising, tongue-in-cheek song that acknowledges the stigma and symptoms of sequelitis, only to allow the whole film to fall victim to its own diagnosis.

Many of the other songs are surprisingly mundane, considering McKenzie wrote far more brilliant songs for "The Muppets". For example, the song "I'll Get What You Want (Cockatoo In Malibu)" has lyrics that include "I can give you anything you want/Give you anything you need/I'll make your dreams come true/Give you anything you want".

You're waiting for a funny line, but McKenzie, for the first time in his songwriting career, never delivers one. Considering the hilarious, genre-bashing songs he made famous with Flight Of The Conchords, it feels as if he didn't even try.

Last but not least, everything "The Muppets" did right with celebrity cameos, "Muppets Most Wanted" did wrong. You see Christoph Waltz dancing the waltz, Salma Hayek getting on and off stage, Danny Trejo in prison, and Celine Dion just singing.

You don't see Gonzo doing a crazy stunt (you only hear him talking about it), Fozzie Bear telling a joke, or most of the Muppets doing what they do best. Even Lew Zealand forgets to throw a fish.

Of the human stars who actually have relevant roles, Tina Fey and Ty Burrell actually look like they're having fun. Ricky Gervais is surprisingly dull, being both unfunny enough to stand alongside the Muppets, and not menacing enough to be a villain.

The Muppets are the stars of this movie, not the humans. Somewhere in the making of this movie, the filmmakers left their love of the Muppets, and their desire to make them intriguing characters, by the door, and it shows by what you don't see the Muppets do.

"Muppets Most Wanted" has some laughs, but they are more like light chuckles with no feelings of joy or poignancy. The Muppets have already proved they can make a comeback, but this is not the movie that proves their staying power.

"Muppets Most Wanted" is by no means a terrible movie, but I hope the Muppets prove their worth in their next movie. I hope there is a next movie.

One last note: The Walt Disney Company has not yet released "The Muppet Show" Seasons 4 & 5 on DVD in addition to many other long-unavailable Muppet TV specials (e.g. "A Muppet Family Christmas" (1987)), yet has purchased Marvel Comics and the Star Wars franchise. Maybe the problem lies with Disney not caring enough about the Muppets.
    Thank God for Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, a scientist anal enough to remember, through the opening MUPPETS MOST WANTED song about the idea of making a sequel, that in fact there are now seven films including their first motion picture, THE MUPPET MOVIE, created under the brilliant, watchful eyes of the late creator Jim Henson… So it's good to know someone else remembers the Muppets aren't a new concept…

The 1978 original was a road trip introduction to the eclectic gang, and they wound up making a movie at the end of that particular story... This was followed by THE GREAT MUPPET CAPER, a mystery spoof taking place in England… And in 2011, the MUPPETS reboot had the gang traveling to Los Angeles to put on a stage show and now, like CAPER, they're traipsing throughout Europe, also spoofing the crime genre: this time with a surreptitiously nefarious bad guy actually named Bad Guy, played by Ricky Gervais, but the real villain is Kermit himself… Well not exactly…

The main plot has Bad Guy teaming with an escaped Russian frog, Constantine, almost identical to Kermit, who winds up putting a fake facial mole on the lovable croaker and then covering his own so that Kermit is falsely accused and sent to the same Siberian Gulag that Constantine escaped from... Meanwhile, the Muppets are being led by this awkward impostor, who winds up wooing Miss Piggy into marriage, and somehow their stage plays, despite misdirection and unstructured skits, are selling out everywhere…

The real shock is with so many cooks in the kitchen, nothing really gets accomplished… And while the Muppets are known for their songs, turning each movie into an adventurous musical, the tunes here seem more like distractions from lack of plot than singing-dialogue to carry the story, which worked especially good in THE MUPPET MOVIE… Does the tune "Moving Right Along" ring a bell? Well in fact those songs did move things along… But now the numbers, all uncatchy and completely forgettable, feel intrusive and downright annoying.

For nostalgic Muppet fans, the limited screen time of classic characters such as Gonzo, Beaker, Swedish Chef and just about everyone except Kermit, Fozzy, Piggy and Animal, is annoying and unforgivable… But worse yet is that Jason Segal, who starred in the original reboot and doesn't show up at all, has left behind his awful human Muppet brother Walter, a weak replacement for Scooter, who, like just about everyone else including that funky rock band, are merely wallpaper.

The famous co-stars besides Gervais include Tina Fey as the Gulag head guard and Ty Burrell as a European detective, the latter joining Sam the Eagle. These humans try really hard but there's not enough story for them to matter. And the cameos range from Ray Liotta and Danny Trejo as Russian inmates and a mixed bag other celebs thrown in for good, or in this case, pointlessly boring measure.

But the real crime is that Kermit doesn't sound anything like himself at all, and that's not only when he's being purposely imitated by the villain... providing two bad impersonations in a single motion picture: We sure miss you, Jim!
    There has been a quality to the Muppets since they were created around the 70's. Who would have thought there was chemistry between a frog and a Pig? And there's one of the greatest romances in history, a relationship full of friction and angst, with a man who won't commit and a very pushy girl, with an amazing and feisty personality.

In their latest entry, Kermit is involved in international intrigue, as he's thrown into a Siberian jail and the most dangerous frog in history replaces him, as the company goes on an International tour with more than comical and musical performances. There are ulterior motives for this sneaky amphibian and his second in command, a delightful Ricky Gervais.

Things get loonier with two competing authority figures more concerned with vanity than solving the crimes. Here is a battle of the egos that will have you roaring with laughter. Ty Furrell is a talented funny man, showing timing to rival The Three Stooges and mimicking some of the great funny men of the past.

In addition to some of the terrific silly bits between all the usual members of the troop, we put the spotlight on Miss Piggy, who is a bit brasher than usual and Animal, trying to make everyone realize there's something wrong with Kermit. Along the way, we are treated to some terrific musical numbers, with more clever than usual lyrics, which are also brimming with the charming appeal of those old musical numbers when it was fun to hum the melodies and sing along. The staging is also quite good, and we keep hoping the numbers get bigger, with more singing, dancing, and some more terrific choreography. The opening and closing musical numbers certainly match some of the 1930's best; this coupled with Burgess' colorful photography is quite a treat.

Hope the audience discover this terrific little movie and enjoy a treat rarely seen nowadays. Something that is not quite a sequel, a remake, but a film that is part of a tradition that has earned a place in our hearts and our funny bone.
  • The Muppets of 2011 was a surprise, it is one of the rare throwbacks that excellently lives up to the material which brings nostalgia to the old fans and potentially earns new ones from the current generation. That little film gives us faith to their upcoming films, and here it is, the latest sequel that once again delivers the same delight and enthusiasm. This quality is always a welcome, however the storyline doesn't seem to offer anything new or say anything important. But none of it will ever matter in the end, Muppets Most Wanted is quite entertaining because that is what this material is always best at.

This edition tries to be like any blockbuster today by pulling off a bombastic and thrilling tone since it involves criminal schemes and exciting mysteries, but these aren't the most interesting parts the film has. Many can immediately notice it suffers finding fresher ideas for the main plot, but those aren't exactly what we care for. It's really about being loyal to their thing: absurd humor, shining talents, and best of all, singing. The attempt of heightening things up is probably for the film to fit in to this epic sized era of cinema. But the truth is the plot is really not as special as the quirks, the most memorable parts that end up to the storyline are either the Muppets' amusing naivety from Constantine's disguise as Kermit or the two agents' ridiculous arguments about the size of their badges.

While the classic stuff are kept, the only thing that was elevated is the songs. Bret McKenzie gives the same joy of the last movie, the beat goes from groovy to Broadway. Every musical set piece is just wonderfully enjoyable. The craft is nothing to talk about since they're always neat, and the voices too have always been full of life. The celebrity cast seems like they're having a good time: Ricky Gervais is kind of just doing his own thing. Ty Burrell seems to be parodying Inspector Clouseau and it's quite fun, he has a delightful chemistry with his Muppet partner, Sam the Eagle. People might only notice the accent in Tina Fey, but she still made the character likable anyway.

Muppets Most Wanted has the feeling for a TV Special worth or something, because definitely there is hardly anything grand about the film other than the spectacles, but it's really hard to say anything bad to the Muppets since the spirit of the show is still there. Its significance is just too little compared to the last movie since that one had a message why this show is so special. This sequel only exists probably just to fit in, but then again it's still a very fun time at the movies. New and old fans can appreciate every bit of it, because nothing can entertain you like this than the Muppets.
  • The Muppets Most Wanted is a fantastic movie packed with comedy and excitement. The crowd was laughing so loudly that sometimes it was hard to hear the movie. This film is fantastic because it has the perfect combination of catchy songs and talented actors. It keeps you on the edge of your seat because you never know who was going to show up next.

The Muppets are back for the eighth time and before they finish catching up with each other, they meet Dominic Badguy (Ricky Gervais.) Dominic convinces the Muppets to go out on a world tour. At the same time Constantine, the world's most dangerous frog, escapes from prison and hatches an evil plan to hide his identity. Constantine kidnaps Kermit and takes over Kermit's identity. Kermit is mistaken for Constantine and is sent to prison. This leaves Constantine free to steal the crown jewels of England. It is up to the Muppets to save Kermit and stop Constantine before the world's most beloved puppets become the world's most wanted criminals.

The scene where the inmates put on a show in prison is hilarious. It's my favorite part of the movie. Watching scary looking men sing and dance like they are on Broadway is priceless. I also enjoyed watching Constantine act like he is Kermit. You will laugh out loud when you see what happens to him as he gets ready to go on stage during a musical performance.

All the actors do an amazing job in this movie. One actor who really stands out for me is Ty Burrell who plays Jean Pierre. His witty comments and funny attitude really add to the comedy. My favorite actress in this movie is Tina Fey who plays Nadya. What makes her performance great is that on the outside she is so strict, but on the inside she is really very warm and caring. Her accent is so realistic that I thought she was actually from Russia.

The message of this movie is that true friends will always be there for you no matter how bad things get. "The Muppets Most Wanted" is perfect for both boys and girls ages 8 to 16 and I give it five out of five shimmering stars. You definitely don't want to miss this one.

Reviewed by Simone S., KIDS FIRST Film Critic. For more reviews, go to kidsfirst dot org.
  • thomascorbett883 April 2014
    What a relief the motley crew of misfits & creatures are back with a joustful tale. Saturated with wit, satire and a heavy dose of the beautifully absurd!

Tongue in cheek, Kermit returns to the stage to greet an unfamiliar audience who is no longer listening and everyone left abandoned. Grateful that Kermit never got the memo and up for the challenge, the crew labours in unfamiliar territory to return to the stage whilst dark forces undermine the gangs every endeavor.

The hunt is on as a bumbling investigation appears to be fruitless in catching the nemesis. An international amphibian man of mystery or has the limelight moved onto greener and humble pastures.

An evil frog impostor is still at large, hiding behind precious jewels and treating the world as one magnificent stage. Will good prevail? The audience holds its breath. Behind every good plot Kermit sticks to his resolve of unflinching loyalty to his rowdy gang of colourful creatures. Kermit's friends leave no stone unturned as something in the air doesn't seem quite as it should be.
  • I took my 7 and 8 year old sons to watch this at the cinema.

It was a holiday treat. The trailer made it look fun. I wanted to like it. I kept looking across at my boys, hoping to see signs of enjoyment on their faces. I didn't

They didn't complain afterwards, just noted that nothing really happened in the film, and didn't mention it again - unlike films they really enjoy and rave about for days afterwards.

Perhaps I just wasn't in the mood. Perhaps it's just not 'my cup of tea'. Some people seem to have written good reviews...

But for me this was a wasted two hours and I came out feeling slightly depressed that I'd planned a day out around such a disappointing film. There was only one person in the cinema who laughed aloud.
  • jawneyfloros20 November 2018
    Review: I loved this movie because I grew up with both sesame street and the muppets. This movie really re-affirmed what I remember as a kid which was really cool. The direction and screenplay are really good. Both the casting and acting are really good. All in all I would give this five out of a possible five stars.
  • When The Muppets came out in 2011 people really liked it and therefore a sequel was made. The sequel Muppets Most Wanted was not as successful as it's predecessor. It wasn't as much a financial hit and people didn't dig it as much and it seems like The Muppets are back to the way they were after Muppets From Space. I actually really loved Muppets Most Wanted. At the time I thought it was better than The Muppets and in ways it is. The jokes are smarter. The songs are better and it feels more like a traditional Muppet movie than it's predecessor but this movie is not without it's flaws. The flaws are that Walter has more screen time than Gonzo and even Fozzie. That's just wrong! And the humans need to take a huge backseat to the Muppets. Tina Fey more than Ricky Gervais and Ty Burrell. Overall I think this is a great Muppet movie but it's so depressing how underrated it is. I hope this is not the end of The Muppets on the big screen. I'm an aspiring actor and filmmaker, maybe I should be like Jason Segel and try to bring them back if nobody else does. Even then I've always wanted to make a Muppet movie.
  • nogodnomasters14 January 2018
    Another Muppet film, so you know what to expect. Corny jokes, song and dance, and spoofs of otherr films. In this film Constantine utilizes a Mission Impossible escape and replaces Kermit with the goal of doing "Pink Panther" type of crimes.

Where else are you going to see Danny Trejo and Ray Liotta perform a song and dance in their long johns? Tina Fey looked like she was having fun in her role as a prison warden. Of course they are Muppets so there are tons of cameo roles for established stars.

Good popcorn fun. I would agree, they have done better.
  • We have 2 yo twins and got this to keep them entertained. They (and we) have watched it pretty well every other day for the last 6 months, and have never got tired of it.

Each time I watch it I pick something else up. Strongly recommended.

Also, it's _very_ PG. We got Mulan for them, but it frightened them, but this was perfect.

Perfect for parents of younger children, and older children.

It's a perfect Muppets movie. It has everyone in it. Even Kermits nephew, Robin!! Uncle Deadly, Coco the bear. Pepe the Prawn.

Love it. Stringly recommend.
    I have been a die hard Muppet fan since infancy (and I have the photos to prove it), so I was excited to see this film. I left in a mix of emotions: disappointment, annoyance, and just plain sadness. I was so let down by this picture. It has none of the charm one comes to expect from the Muppets, and I chalk it up to poor writing. In the previous film ("The Muppets"), you can tell by the writing that Jason Segal knew who he was writing for and captured the charm. I have to wonder, as the co-writer from he aforementioned film also co-wrote "Muppets Most Wanted," if the less than stellar gags (Fart shoes? Really?) were the ideas of the co-writer. Muppets have an almost high-brow humor, the original show was on prime time for adults! Even Henson's kid shows did not contain cheap humor like what we saw in Muppets Most Wanted.

Now, before I go into full-on rant mode, I will list what I did enjoy from the movie: -The team of Sam Eagle and Ty Burrell. You can tell they had fun together, and they stole every scene they were in. -Josh Groban being the maximum security prisoner. I thought I had recognized that voice, and the idea of him being a maximum security sort is just funny, no matter how you look at it. -The Opening Number ("We're Making a Sequel") I liked the homage to "The Great Muppet Caper"'s "We're Making a Movie." The only other song I enjoyed was the "I Hope I Get It" number. -Whenever Walter was on screen. He still had the charm and sparkle I expected from the Muppets. Sorry Walter, but even your spark is going out. -Tom Hiddleston as the Great Escapo.

That's really it. My mother and I did not recognize many of the cameos, so that was lost. The characters felt like they were reading words on a page, as a friend so aptly put it, and the Muppeteers did not sound as though their hearts were in it. There was way too much Constantine. Kermit is the glue that holds the group together, and to have them not even be that suspicious was not convincing.

I wanted the feeling I got from the earlier projects, and even from the earlier Films from after Jim Henson's passing ("Muppet Christmas Carol," specifically) or "The Muppets." It didn't deliver. I would compare this to "Muppet Wizard of Oz" or "Letters to Santa."

Come on, Muppets, you need your mojo back.

Maybe Disney will get enough money from this picture to at least release seasons 4 and 5 of "The Muppet Show." Show the new generation what our favorite puppets are supposed to be like. That's good television, right there. He best episodes are in those seasons!
    I highly enjoyed The Muppets back in 2011. However, their sequel, Muppets Most Wanted, was one of those films that I'd like to see, but was not a high priority. Luckily for me, I had an opportunity to see it, and I found myself enjoying it just as much as the first one.

The film begins where the first ended with their musical number. The Muppets are all gathered around the set where during the opening musical number "We're Doing a Sequel", they are not quite sure what to do next until Dominic (Ricky Gervais) suggests that The Muppets go on a world tour. Dominic is managing The Muppets, while Constantine, a criminal frog who looks identical to Kermit, has escaped a Siberian Gulag. The Muppets go to Europe and everyone has an idea of what they want to do for the show, but Kermit is not wild about their suggestions. After getting frustrated, Kermit takes a walk where he runs into Constantine, who in disguise, glues a fake mole to Kermit's face and runs off, making Kermit be mistaken for Constantine. Kermit is then taken to the Gulag, while Constantine bosses around Dominic and lets the other Muppets do whatever they want. Animal is the only one who is suspicious of "Kermit".

While the Muppets are performing, Constantine and Dominic are stealing different things at museums near the venues the Muppets are performing at. The detectives on the case are Interpol agent Jean Pierre Napoleon (Ty Burrell) and CIA Agent Sam Eagle. While Dominic is managing the Muppets and assisting Constantine, Kermit's attempts to escape are thwarted by the intelligent guard Nadya (Tina Fey). Nadya subsequently orders for Kermit to organize the prison's talent show, and ultimately has a secret of her own.

The film is just as much funny and clever as the first film was. James Bobin, who directed the first film, returns here and has put together another entertaining Muppet musical. The musical numbers are all lively and fun. The standout number and song was "The Big House", which is played when Kermit arrives to the Gulag.

The standout in this film is Tina Fey as Gulag guard Nadya. She is a hoot as the guard who is too smart for Kermit. Burrell and Gervais are fun in their parts as well. Of course with all Muppet films, there are a lot of cameos that are fun to see including (but not limited to) Tony Bennett, Frank Langella, Soairse Ronan, Toby Jones, Sean Combs, Usher, Josh Groban, Salma Hayek, Zach Galifianakis, Stanley Tucci, and Ray Liotta.

The film is fun for both kids and adults. The songs are great. I also say, that this film is equal with the 2011 hit in terms of quality.
  • neil-4764 April 2014
    Following on directly from the previous movie (the first shot is the "The End" screen from the last film), the Muppets find themselves embroiled in a European tour under the management of dodgy tour manager Dominic Badguy (yes, I know it's pronounced "Badgee", but surely they must have had an inkling) as a ruse to allow for the escape and nefarious masterplan of Constantine, the most evil frog in the world who, with the exception of a mole, just happens to be a Kermit lookalike.

This load of old nonsense is great fun. There are some terrific musical numbers, some funny lines and bits of business, and loads of guests put in appearances, ranging from the most fleeting of glimpses (Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga with one line each in a song, Chloe Moretz in a "blink and you'll miss her" moment) to more solid contributions. Ricky Gervais as Dominic gets the lion's share of the human chores, and he discharges his responsibilities adequately but without ever shining. Tina Fey seems to enjoy herself more than is reasonable, which is fun to watch.

This is a thoroughly enjoyable movie for all ages.
  • Oh dear! This is definitely the Muppets worst movie yet. I have been a fan of the Muppets ever since I was a child so I was excited to hear that they were releasing The Muppets. The first movie of this new 'series' was cheesy and so predictable that ever a 3 year old child would know what's going to happen next. Most Wanted adds 'an all star cast' and ever so cringe worthy songs into the mix. Parents if you are looking for a movie to entertain your children this is not it. I think it is time that the Muppets rest in peace... well unless Disney come up with a much better story which will entertain children and adults. If you love the Muppets no matter what then this might be for you.
  • OK, I'm probably in a bad position to be reviewing this one because there is no way I am going to review this movie fairly. I am a HUGE Muppets fan and love to watch the stuff they shell out. I love everything about them and most of their work is comedy gold. Also, the 2011 movie (the one Most Wanted is a direct sequel to) was one of my top 10 of that year, so I went into this with high expectations anyway. What I got from Muppets Most Wanted was a film that on paper could be viewed as disappointing, but since it is the Muppets, I feel very slanted towards it. Muppets are known for having a hilarious sense of humor and a ton of heart, unfortunately this is not shown to its full extent in Muppets Most Wanted.

While 2011 Muppets had a ton of jokes for both adults and kids to laugh at, Most Wanted is full of more childish jokes, and not the good kind. I recall one joke about touring places in Germany and making fun of the town names to include a fart and poop joke. Muppets rarely use scatological humor, and THAT's what made it so great. Some jokes hit fairly well, especially from Ty Burrell and Sam the Eagle, who are a great comedic duo. The new character, Constantine, has a few funny lines as well, but overall the film does not hit well.

The heart in this film is also missing. I left Muppets Most Wanted not feeling any happier or full of laughter then I did entering the theater, and coming from the Muppets it is a grave disappointment. And oh GOD does it drag. For a film about Muppets for some odd reason this whole films feels like it goes on forever and has plenty of points where the film could end but it has to continue to make the two hour time limit.

That being said, it is still the Muppets. Seeing them on screen again is great and is always fun to watch. The cameos, another thing that makes the Muppets great, are used to the fullest here. Keeping your eye out for anyone famous in the smallest rolls is cool and watching this story unfold is fun. While it may just be a modern-day remake of The Great Muppet Caper, it is still fun to watch because it is the Muppets. If you like the Muppets, chances are you will look past the huge errors and like it. If not, stay away at all costs.
  • I think it may also be possible that audiences are not able to effectively articulate their complaints about "CG use". Often any digital manipulation including compositing will be termed "CG". Full-body Muppets composited in post production are not a new realm for the Muppets, however Muppets Most Wanted marks the first time they have been used this extensively and for scenes involving such a significant range of articulation not typically seen from Muppets in any non-composited scenes. I'd argue that part of what makes the Muppets so endearing are their inherent limitations. In spite of significant efforts from a lot of talented people, many of the composited scenes, in particular the "stunt action" sequences come off as a betrayal to those endearing Muppet qualities. The Muppets have more subtly and effectively incorporated compositing effects, however the compositing work in this film was more often sub par, and not just for these full-body Muppet effects. The quality of compositing work was TV movie caliber, not of a 2014 Hollywood blockbuster. I found the compositing work in the final number so terrible that it distracted from all the good things going on there. Movie making technology is continually improving, and puppetry in cinema should certainly embrace those advancements, but perhaps with more subtle incorporation. I believe anything that distracts the viewer from the character and they story negates the effect. "Just because you can doesn't mean you should".
  • The Muppets Most Wanted features an all star cast of great comedians and talented actors to lead a film destined to be one of the all time greats. A hilarious plot line draws the viewer in as quickly as it is dramatic. Each character is allowed the opportunity to fully develop its unique contribution to the entire film and also provide depth to an overall enjoyable experience. Such lines as "You have Wacka'd your last Wacka bear..." and an all star cameo from actor Ray Liotta as character "Big Papa" lend an upper hand to most recent comedic performances. The film is certainly family friendly and also allows for enjoyment for adult viewers. Put simply this is one of the best Muppets films to date due to its suspenseful plot and the sheer range of performances from each of its characters. The musical soundtrack is of theater quality vocal performances and at times lends itself to Shakespearean dramatic acting. As with past films the hilarious personality of the Muppets lends itself to complete the film as a lighthearted comedy which could have easily become an intensely suspenseful and dramatic film. Highly recommended.
  • Muppets Most Wanted is a brilliant movie with a very well written storyline filled with even more outstanding musical numbers and a great cast.The movie is certainly not a disappointment compared to the previous Muppets,it's just as good and it gives the Muppets the spotlight this time around instead of Jason Segel and Amy Adams,who don't appear in this film,and that's what I really wanted,to see Kermit and the gang at the center of attention.The music in the movie is great,my favourite song would have to be the sequel song,the Muppets regularly break the fourth wall and this song was a pure example of how far they go.The human cast is also outstanding,it's packed with great cameos but the main characters,played by Ricky Gervais,Tina Fey and Ty Burrell are all absolutely hilarious and they all played characters that were a different but good turn for them,and Fey and Burrell deliver great Russian and French accents.I'm happy that the movie didn't feel like a direct sequel to the previous film and they made it a completely different story,which is the best decision for Muppet movies (Great Muppet Caper,Muppet Christmas Carol,etc.) and I really hope they continue making Muppet movies every few years,seeing these characters make me so happy.Fans of the Muppets,new and longtime,should definitely love Muppets Most Wanted and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good musical or family film.

While the Muppets head on a world tour,Kermit is put in to jail after being mistaken for a criminal,Constantine,while he pretends to be Kermit and joins them on their world tour along with their new agent Dominic (Ricky Gervais) in order to rob museums around the world.

Best Performance: Ty Burrell