User Reviews (38)

• larrys313 April 2016
    This movie, on the surface, would seem to have the ingredients of a successful film. It has two charismatic lead actors in Rebecca Hall and Jason Sudekis, a good supporting cast, a nice small town in Maine flavor, and beautiful cinematography.However, for me, it just never seemed to come together to a point where I was able to connect emotionally with its characters.

Hall portrays Hannah, living in a backwoods area of Maine, who is grieving the loss of her husband Hunter, some two years before, from a hiking accident, He was a singer/songwriter who had a wildly successful first album, thus achieving great notoriety before his death, and was revered by Hannah.

Sudekis plays Andrew, a writer and associate professor, who doggedly pursues Hannah to possibly collaborate on a book he's writing about talented artists who have died way too young. However, Hannah wants to write her own biography of Hunter, and resists Andrew until she realizes she does indeed need his help. As Andrew uncovers more and more information, he begins to suspect that Hunter may have committed suicide and that his death was not an accident. The interplay between the two works well, at times, but at other times seems forced and just doesn't ring true.

All in all, this movie, directed by Sean Mewshaw with a screenplay from Desi Van Til, had its moments but never really came across to me as totally believable, so I would say it was a near miss.
  • "You're the one obsessed with death. My Hunter was obsessed with life." Hannah (Hall) is trying to cope with the death of her husband, and popular singer. She spends her life living in the past and trying everything to keep his memory alive. When Andrew (Sudeikis) shows up wanting to write a book about him he is met with resistance from Hannah. Little by little the more they talk they more they realize they both have something that will help the other one. This is a very good movie that is worth watching, but it also a tad bit generic and cookie cutter like. Most romantic comedies are though so going in I expected that. Sudeikis is great and funny as always, even though this is more serious than we are used to from him. In terms of romantic movies this is one that men will like, maybe more than women. Overall, a movie that I did like but was almost a little too cookie cutter like to be considered original. I give this a B-.
  • Understated, honest and soulfully choreographed. The cast is engaging, authentic and surprisingly interesting even in the most ordinary situations, of which there are few. Grief may be the premise of this film, but the result is a calm escape into a world you'll be happy to spend some time in.

After reading about the film, I did expect an Indie movie with the usual predictable story lines and romantic frou frou, and there is no shortage of that, but there is another layer of depth that caught me off guard. The intimate warmth of the soundtrack, like the weightless smoke of a dying candle in a quiet room, lingers long after the end credits are over. Some of the songs really are beautiful enough to warrant this type of language, trust me. So do the memories of other musicians who left behind their timeless creations along with the shock and mystery of a lifetime cut short. Martyn Bennett and Jeff Buckley, however different the circumstances of their departure, come to mind.

Whenever an Indie movie finds the perfect balance between lighthearted, mainstream entertainment and the relatability of a smaller story and budget, it proofs that a solid Indie production can transcend the restrictions of a genre and touch the audience beyond 90 minutes of entertainment.

I couldn't think of a single studio produced movie in recent months that achieved 'Tumbledown's subtlety and depth with the same simplicity and grace. To proof my point, this movie would work even without the romance and succeed as a relevant reflection on grief and the responsibility of moving on.
  • I was expecting a romantic comedy when I got this movie, and I have to say that not only is that not what this is, I was pleasantly surprised.

This movie is about grieving and learning to let go of those we've lost, but it is also sweet in a sort of unexpected way. Rebecca Hall and Jason Sudeikis are a great pair and their on-screen chemistry is fantastic. It's the first movie that has made me a fan of Jason Sudeikis.

Set in the beautiful Maine mountains, the soft folk music in the background adds to the serenity of the mountainside and the heartbreak Hall's character is experiencing and the journey you'll go on with her.

If you're looking for a movie that is sweet, poignant, and guaranteed to tug at your heartstrings, this is it. I would highly recommend this movie.
  • This is a cute little movie! Maybe it was a bit to cheesy for a true man I myself am, but I liked it nevertheless. Let me immediately point out what's the best this movie gives: it' chemistry between McDonnell (Sudeikis) and Hannah (Hall). They can be compared to Nicholas Cage and Tea Leoni in The Family Man.

Story itself is predictable. Hannah deals with loss and keeps being trapped in past when a NYC writer arrives and makes her confront herself. The rest I leave to your imagination.

There's a mindset one has to adopt in order to enjoy this movie. This is not about delivering story or even emotion (expect lots of them) - it's about little things which we usually take for granted and realize how important they are once they're gone. Little things which come to life only when somebody comes to our life. Little things we share together. Adopt this mindset and you're going to enjoy this movie as it may bring forth some memories.

Now the soundtrack. Music is almost central to the movie. All the credits for soundtrack go to Damien Jurado. Search him - I'm sure you'll find it very relaxing and nice. His music really helps you to find and reflect upon some precious moments in the movie and in your own life. Since almost entire movie plays in a little, snowy town, movie really blends with the music.

Jason Sudeikis shows some acting skills! He's the main star of the movie - very entertaining and charismatic. Rebecca Hall was a cutie. Together they form a nice couple. Chemistry among them is what gives a reason for adopting mindset mentioned above.

It's never easy to "Turn the page and start a new chapter" as the tag line suggests. It's really not easy to do it only by yourself. I recall what C.S.Lewis once wrote:

"To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable."

If you want to see this quote in motion, see this movie.
  • 'TUMBLEDOWN': Four Stars (Out of Five)

Indie rom-com/drama flick; starring Rebecca Hall and Jason Sudeikis. The film tells the story of a widow, still coping with the death of her folk singer husband, who must deal with a New York writer; that comes to her small town looking to write a story on him. The movie also costars Dianna Agron, Joe Manganiello, Griffin Dunne, Blythe Danner and Richard Masur. It was directed by first-time feature filmmaker Sean Mewshaw, and written by Mewshaw and Desi and Desiree Van Til (both first-time screenwriters). I enjoyed it.

Hannah Miles (Hall) is still grieving over the death of her husband; a folk singer, who was somewhat of a celebrity in her rural Maine town. Her family, and friends, all think she needs to get over him and move on. That troubled healing is further aggravated, when a New York writer, named Andrew McCabe (Sudeikis), comes to town investigating the beloved musician's death. He's writing a book on the singer, and Hannah doesn't like the idea of it (at all).

I'm becoming a bigger Jason Sudeikis fan, with every movie he does! He's always funny, and he always picks quality projects too; the roles, he plays, always seem like real and relatable people. This film is no exception. I also like how he does a lot of lower-budget indie flicks too. Hall is great in this movie as well. She's definitely not as funny, but her performance is topnotch; and the two have beautiful chemistry together. It's yet another indie hit win, for Jason Sudeikis!

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: https://youtu.be/n2qWxeZ0Tck
  • Watched this on VuDu on 2/20/16 and it was an engaging heartfelt movie that drew us in at the start, but then it began a slow agonizing death by the mid-point and by the end of the movie we were praying for the end. Any end. Just end it. The movie just falls apart in the second half. Almost as if the ending production was rushed because everyone was bored or ran out of interesting things to say and do on screen. There are so many wasted story lines in this movie that just seem to start, do nothing, mean nothing, and go absolutely nowhere. The only character that seemed to engage and hold our attention was the one played by Jason. 5/10. And I am being generous.
  • I was pleasantly and unexpectedly surprised by this movie. I found it a realistic portrayal of how hard it is to let go of the memory of deep love that is now gone and learning how to move on and sometimes failing and falling down, until suddenly you wake up and life unexpectedly opens up to something new and wonderful. I am surprised by the negative reviews. It is not a romantic comedy or a typical slick, fast paced Hollywood film. But it works as a touching, authentic slice of a life, portraying what loss really looks like and the beauty of love. The music was also really fantastic. A touching little gem.
  • Following on the middling artistic and lacking financial success of "Sleeping with Other People", the uncompelling Jason Sudekis leads another mildly entertaining star-crossed rom-com. This time he spars with, falls for, leaves, returns to, you know the Hollywood romance do- se-do by now. This one brings more drama to the mix than the standard outing being it is centered around the likely suicide of a legendary but little-known folk singer. Speaking of singer, a major problem with the movie beyond Sudekis is the lack of music. The movie never establishes the genius of the deceased folks singer which would then explain why Sudekis' Hofstra professor would spend his time writing about it and a later revelation involving a missing track. The uneven plot never draws you so that you are not consciously aware of the underlying trajectory of the formula. It lacks interesting supporting characters putting more unneeded pressure on the leads. In short, not a bad film but not really enough here to make the outing worth while.
  • Reviewing a Nicholas Sparks'-related film is not a happy assignment because of its near-guarantee of maudlin, tear jerking sentiment. Hooray! Because Tumbledown is the anti-Sparks romance, nothing to do with his weepers, in fact a hard-nosed but sympathetic study of Hannah's (Rebecca Hall) writing a biography of her notably- accomplished folk-singer, late husband's short life.

Although this summary might seem Sparksean, it is not that at all. Perhaps the innocence and originality of the production comes from its freshman director, Sean Mewshaw and his collaborating writer, his wife, Desiree Van Til. Both are gifted and devoid of the penchant for cliché so dominant in other romances.

This realist-oriented romance finds Hannah struggling with her writing and her business-associate, a college professor, Andrew (Jason Sudekis). Although a certain element of formula must be present as she insults him regularly (a sure sign they will fall in love), it is 90 min before they kiss—another Hooray! During this first 2/3, most of the dialogue is rapid and sardonic, a sweetness to my word-addicted ears.

Moments occur in this dialogue-driven segment when I am reminded of the early 20th century love of screwball comedic repartee. The rapid fire insults and witticism are nectar to those of us who have grown up on Jud Apatow's romcoms potty humor and pratfalls. While Tumbledown has its moments of pratfalls and excessive dialogue, overall it is balm for the ears, and, given the attractiveness of Hall and Sudekis, a sight for sore eyes.

Because I lived for a year in Northern Maine, I must laud the picture's artists for capturing small town Maine life without parodying its apparent narrowness and gruffness. A warm interior lies at the center of the outwardly hostile natives; it's a warm interior that catches heat from the ubiquitous fireplaces (we had wood stoves). Visitors from the city like Andrew and his girlfriend, Finley (Dianna Agron), may just never qualify for residency the way Hannah does.
  • If you haven't seen Tumbledown yet, you are in for a treat. Rebecca Hall plays the widow of Hunter Miles, a fictional singer with a cult following. She has stacked enough wood for years of a comfortable widowhood--living among her husband's instruments and keepsakes in the lakeside cabin in Maine that they shared. She's forced from being a hermit by the brash academic (played by Jason Sudeikis) who appears on his European motorcycle to dig up biographical details on Hunter for his PhD dissertation. But Hunter's widow turns out to be more fascinating than the memory of Sudeikis' musical hero. And the rest is chemistry. We get to watch Jason Sudeikis and Rebecca Hall on a date at the town dump, at a family Easter gone wrong, and standing on a sheet of frozen ice surrounded by the crazy whale sounds of a thawing lake in the Maine woods. The rapport between Rebecca Hall and Jason Sudeikis is riveting. Their banter is smart and funny. And Damien Jurado's haunting tunes give the movie a depth that reverberates for days to come. The film is gorgeous, moving and entertaining.
  • Tumbledown is that kind of movie which makes you feel "Oh! It's good. But it should have been better". You'd almost feel sorry for the entire cast because they have given such exceptional performances only to be let down by clichéd writing towards the end. But it still is a Dramedy worth watching.

Coming to the performances, there are absolutely no complaints here. I can safely say that Jason Sudeikis steals the show with his charm and timing. Rebecca Hall gives her best and suits for the role well. In fact we can watch the movie just for the leads' performances. The supporting cast does justice to their roles.

Verdict: Go for it!
  • I knew nothing about this movie and initially saw just a few minutes, which left me wondering about the chemistry between Hannah and Andrew. However - once I sat down and watched completely through, I got it. Both characters have depth and Rebecca Hall kills it as Hannah. She's perfectly cast in every way possible. While they seem to come from different worlds, Andrew realizes that Hannah is his match in intellect and wisdom. I'm not a winter person, much prefer the warm weather, but found myself being drawn to the cold Maine climate that is such a part of this story. It's as if the frigid world provides a warmth to the grief and loss Hannah has experienced. There's a wittiness in the film, but again, also a seriousness to what the main characters are dealing with. This is truly a classic romantic comedy with some deep and thoughtful lines. Would like to have seen this on the big screen, but very glad I stumbled onto it anyway!
  • Greetings again from the darkness. If I find myself three minutes into a movie and have already executed a couple of eye-rolls, any hopes for a decent little Romantic-Comedy-Drama would ordinarily be dashed. However, having Rebecca Hall's character narrate her writing efforts as she taps away on the keyboard, actually does serve the story. The first feature from director Sean Mewshaw and his screen writing wife Desiree Van Til takes advantage of a beautiful setting, a slew of contrasts, and some heartfelt music to keep us interested in how things plays out.

Ms. Hall plays Hannah, the grieving young widow who has stashed herself away in a lakefront cabin located in the rural Maine community in which she was raised. Her grief remains burdensome some two years after the tragic death of her husband Hunter Miles – a folk singer whose only album (and subsequent death) created a public mystique and a defensiveness on the part of Hannah to protect and control his legacy.

As a Ph.D from Brown, periodic contributor to the local newspaper, and soul mate of Hunter, Hannah undertakes the writing of his biography in the shadow of the studio monument that continues to expand with trinkets left at his gravesite by a cult of fans paying respect. Griffin Dunne plays her friend and owner of the local bookstore and publisher of the newspaper. His less than enthusiastic critique of her early pages of the biography correspond with the vigorous pursuit by a Hofstra Pop Culture Professor with a book publishing deal who wants to make Hunter a key element of his new project.

Jason Sudeikis plays Andrew, and his fast-talking big city mannerisms don't initially mesh so well with the hyper-sensitive and protective grieving widow. The two spar like brother and sister, and the initial adversarial relationship means only one thing in the movie world … romance is in the air. Fortunately, the focus on telling the story of Hunter acts as a form of grief therapy for Hannah and a bit of redemption of spirit for Andrew. Of course, the path to enlightenment is not simple for either. Hannah's "friend with benefits" is a hunky local power company worker played by Joe Manganiello ("True Blood"), and Andrew's big city music industry girlfriend is played by Dianna Agron ("Glee"). But as you would expect, the biggest obstacle faced by the two leads is their own stubbornness.

We learn the most about Andrew and Hannah when they are around others. An Easter luncheon with Hannah's family is especially insightful. Her parents are played by Blythe Danner and Richard Masur, and as viewers we long for more scenes featuring these two characters (and terrific actors). We sense that these parents see right through Andrew and Hannah. Can Hannah let down her guard so that she can move on with life? Can Andrew quell his ambition so that the emotional connection takes place?

Beautifully shot (with British Columbia substituting for Maine), the aspect of nature plays a role in contrasting country girl with city boy, and it's the accidental discovery of a long lost song that highlights the stark difference in motives … while also being the impetus for change. Hunter's original music is heard throughout the film, and it's actually Damien Jurado whose singing and songwriting add an element of intrigue and realism. Hannah, as narrator, states "In the middle, we feel like it's never going to end." While that may be true for many romance movies, the filmmakers here avoid the "too cute" moments that spoil most in this genre … and impressively overcome those early eye-rolls.
  • Beautifully done as far as filming, casting, acting, writing, characters, production, editing & chemistry between characters. I rarely see a flawless film but this is it. I don't understand the naysayers. It was a gentle development of a womans closure on her grief process while she and a professor of American Music Studies cowrote the biography of her husband. Set in Maine, very few accents, but so what. Lots of folks relocate or choose to not speak with accents. The movie is well done.
    Granted, my expectations were "streaming rom com I never heard of before now" low. Because...well, y'all have been there: trolling through some platform by genre and it's an OCEAN of stuff that you've never heard of in your life for VERY GOOD REASONS!

The dialogue (writing and delivery) crackled, the characters had emotional depth and the actors made me believe them. It certainly wasn't COMEDY-comedy, though there were laughs. At the end of the day, OF COURSE it's still romantic setup+obstacles+someone running through an airport before someone else gets away (except it's a road race on an ATV)+HEA. But, really, you don't even click on the Romantic Comedy category if you're not on board for THAT.

There was honesty in the fact that when love comes along, it often does so on the opposite of OUR timetable. A partner who makes us challenge our assumptions about if and when we're ready, and maybe forces us to self-reflect and grow...? Yeah. Wow. That's a thing.

Oh, and, some decent folk music.
  • Easter in Maine, perhaps a spring resurrection after a death/mourning in the offing? There was something about the atmosphere, pace, coloring and dance in the film that was down in the pocket. Everyone in it was down in it, too. The thing that makes human life noble is that we lose who we love, and our hearts break. It takes awhile to get through it, especially big loves, loves still young and blooming. There's an interesting movement for both characters through loss and grief that can be a kind of wrestling match between us and Love. You only get to be ennobled by getting down in the pocket and discovering there's treasure there. That's the hidden depth of this little film, with a lovely poetic acoustic soundtrack. There is the typical boy meets girl, fire and water fizz and combust, and things get worked through, in an understated way. Tumbledown seems to have more meaning than the place where an event in the film implies. It's a worthwhile journey to tumbledown.
  • cekadah21 February 2016
    If you want to take a little nap and need to fall asleep quickly - just start this movie and be assured you will tumbledown into sleepy head rest. This story of the widowed Hannah living her secluded life in the back country of Maine is so slow and boring and lifeless you will join them in their lethargic existence and your nap will be upon you quickly.

The poor grieving widow Hannah certainly has no trouble getting 'it' from the horny local power company worker who always shows up with a little gift in exchange for 'it'. Then Andrew shows up and the story aptly tumbles-down from that point on. Even Blythe Danner can't keep this story or movie awake! To be more than honest, yes I did fall asleep watching this one hour and forty-five minute flick, and I wasn't remotely sleepy when I started watching. Neither am I compelled to watch it again because it's just so boring.

Just another example of a big budget flop with the actors walking through their parts because they seemed equally bored and obviously did it for the money.
  • michelle_kummer16 February 2016
    This film was so boring! I am a big fan of Jason Sudeikis,Dianna Agron, Blythe Danner and of course Joe Manganiello who appears at the top of the cast list and is barely in the film. I have never been a fan of Rebecca Hall, i find her very unattractive and difficult to watch any film with her in it. How does she land these roles? In trivia it stated Rose Byrne was supposed to play the lead and pulled out.. smart move. This movie is so damn boring, no chemistry between Jason and Rebecca at all. As if he would leave the beautiful Dianna for Rebecca! There is no real plot, you don't even really know what happened to her husband. Stupid film!!! A waste of time, i kept waiting for it to get better and then it ended.
  • I will never get the time back I spent watching this. The movie was just watchable enough that I thought something will eventually happen that makes sense and I did until it ended: hence watched the WHOLE MOVIE!!! It felt like as if 3 semi-talented writers left their unfinished scripts in a bar, someone found it, shuffled the pages, threw away half and someone made a movie of a completely disconnected, weird, whiny script. The acting was so bad, with 0 chemistry between the "will they be/will they not lovers?" plus they barely cared about their part. The premise of the movie: some dead musician who wrote some awesome tunes that almost nobody appreciated was very symbolic, with a twist: this fiction was not any way awesome. Disclaimer: I loved both Sudekis and Hall in other movies.
  • I don't know how badly Jason Sudeikis wants to be this generations' Tom Hanks, but Tumbledown has him heading in the right direction. In this RomCom, Sudeikis plays a lit professor writing a book on folk music with a dead folk singer who had one amazing album being his focus, but his widow, played by Rebecca Hall does not trust him to do her late husband justice.

I watched Sudeikis on Saturday Night Live and thought he was funny, but this movie also shows how charming he can be. He's also not a bad looking guy. In fact, it looks like he shed a few pounds in this flick, don't know if it was particularly for this movie, but it does add something to his charisma of playing a upbeat lover of music, who can drop a Biggie reference as easily as he can drop a Bob Dylan reference.

I'm saying a lot about Sudeikis, even though Tumbledown's Plot revolves more around the widow of the dead folk singer, played by Rebecca Hall. Hall's performance did not stand out for me, which is unfortunate. Not that Sudeikis was not playing just another RomCom stereotype, but what he brought to the table shined pretty bright.

Give a honorable mention to Joe Manganiello and Blythe Danner who had some funner one-liners and zingers that added flavor to the movie.

I'm not a Romcom man, but if you are, this is a good one.
  • As being a Maine native, it seemed like all of the costumes, scenery, and accents were FAR off. Like Joe Manganiello can honestly pass as the worst fake Mainer. This might not have anything to go with the movie, but it just bugged me on how stereotyped this movie made Maine. Now, concerning the actual story... although predictable, one of the most beautiful films I've seen in awhile (#1 being Before We Go). I also just want to bring attention to the AMAZING soundtrack as well. It can only be explained as pure art; the movie in general is just art. This review makes no sense, but I encourage you to watch it if you enjoy an emotional story line with romantic undertones and a touch of viewer interpretation. Also, if you love Jason Sudeikis, this will NOT disappoint. It's an honest, and although not necessarily an original screenplay, still raw and hopeful. So, definitely watch for the story and not the Maine aspect because it's sh*t which is really too bad.
    Having been raised in Maine, I was excited to watch this movie as much as I am for any movie set in the state where I spent my childhood. I was not disappointed. This movie was not only charming and noteworthy, it also evoked a certain kind of peaceful serenity and sense of hope in me. I believe that it was filmed primarily in Canada but the countryside appeared the same as the rolling blue/green hills of Northern and Western Maine. The soundtrack is incredible. The music by Damien Jurado (check out the soundtrack) is often playing in the background like Hannah's lost husband is an acting character and it is so incredibly beautiful that you really don't ever want the movie to end. When it does you really want to go out and buy that soundtrack.

When I watch Hannah struggle through her heartbreak, I am moved. Rebecca Hall does an amazing job representing a true Maine woman in all of her glorious strengths and weaknesses. When the winter is cold and the electricity is out, you light a fire and snuggle up in a sleeping bag in front of it. That's just what you do- you don't complain about it. Maine is a tough place. So vast and beautiful and sprinkled with complex people with their own stories and hardships. Jason Sudeikis was gorgeous as always. This was a romantic comedy and I definitely did laugh...often.

The accents are on point and lets be honest, a real Maine accent is almost impossible to be truly recreated by an actor with no real experience down east. Every single charming character was perfectly created and important to the plot, in my opinion, as small as their part may have been. Finally let me give a huge round of applause to the writer. The script! Every verbal interaction was so intelligent, sometimes comedic, sometimes full of emotion and passion. "How is New York? Full of too many people as always?" It's just smart. I appreciate dialogue like words on a page. It was beautifully written. Some of us have been waiting for a movie like this and I couldn't be more satisfied . It's a definite "buy it, add it to your library, and watch it again and again on cold winter days" kind of movie. Tumbledown is a movie metaphor and a mountain...Now I've seen them both with my own eyes and they are amazing.
  • leplatypus11 November 2016
    This nearly 2 hours movie is a waste of time : Right from the start, you guess the ending but for endless, boring 120 minutes, nothing happens : no moving dialogues, no gripping scene, no key moment ! If you expect to discover the fun of book research, fandom, you fall flat ! If you expect to be gripped by the beautiful nature, this Maine in winter is cold, desert and muddy ! This Sudeikis guy is a poor guy with no talent and totally irritating with his bad jokes, bad temper ! And honestly, i can't stand stories of lovers who are already committed and just because they met someone else a day, they are now in a great romance with their soulmate ! It's totally rubbish, stupid and imagined by people who has never met love ! Here the split is totally inappropriate as the movie implies that because his girlfriend has drunk in a party, she is a drunkard ! So it's really too much and i never buy just a second that Rebecca falls in love ! So except watching Rebecca wearing winter fashion, there is nothing else in this movie and i can't watch it one more time for sure !
  • The theme is about moving on. It's a romantic comedy that for the most part is quite poignant and humorous, but rather inconsequential as it meanders around defensiveness, shutting out, letting in and pushing away time and again. In the end it becomes cloying and sentimental when it probably shouldn't given these personalities but the convention win the day. It is well directed though, capturing an comic tone that never betrays the pain associated with grief.