• When you first begin this show it seems like it might not go to very great places. The stories are sometimes lackluster and the comedy doesn't always fit, but as the first season progresses and you start to learn more about the characters and the stories become more inter-woven it all actually makes sense and stands as a pretty solid first season.

As the show has continued it's aged like a fine-wine, it's got great stories with crazy twists and turns in every episode and enough great characters that you have to find someone to connect with, whether they be a hero or a villain. The acting is phenomenal, the writing gets better and better each season, and the show is always open to try new things.

Even when I expect this show to disappoint me, it doesn't. It is easily one of the most under-rated shows on television, not just in the superhero and sci-fi genre, but altogether. This show deserves the world.
  • It started slowly, in season 1, but I'd heard so many positive accounts of the writing that I persevered.

Wow. It's amazing. The character development, the plot twists, the reveals, the twists and turns, the drama, the fight sequences, the effects, the acting, the whole story - it's truly awesome.

If you watched season 1 and gave up, I heartily recommend you get back to it and watch to at least season 2 and you'll be hooked. There are plenty of moments where I've laughed out loud, plenty moments where I've almost cried, plenty times when I've shouted at the screen - it's full of drama, adventure, action, suspense and even comedy.

No spoilers. Just watch it. Of all the television shows I've watched, it's definitely in the top 10, maybe even the top 5. Give it a go - if the IMDB review scores were ignored from 2013, this would be scoring a 9.0 or higher instead of the measly 7.5 it currently, undeservedly has.
  • Agents of Shield is one of the best superhero/comic book themed shows out there, and I'm not kidding. All of the hate this series gets is completely unwarranted, and the hate comes from those who only watched the first half season. Ever since then, this show has been on the up, improving every season. Sure, it has a slow and not very strong start, but Agents of Shield progressively gets better as you continue through the series. And the improvement is so drastic that this has become one of the best TV shows I've seen.

One of the most special aspects of this show is how it ties into the MCU. Out of all of Marvel's TV shows, Agents of Shield is most affected by, and most connected with the Marvel movies. I can't stress enough how enjoyable it is to watch this series alongside the movies; it is the perfect companion. Only problem being, you'll be annoyed at how the movies rarely recognize the show, but hopefully that too will change in time.

Season 4 of Agents of Shield is the real point where you realize just how incredible the show is. It is definitely one of the best seasons of a TV show that I have ever seen, and I've seen many shows. From the likes of what's largely considered some of TV's best: Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, etc. And also other superhero shows, such as; Daredevil, The Punisher, Jessica Jones, etc. Agents of Shield stands tall right amongst these, and season 4 is a must watch. Not just for fans of Marvel, but any Sci-Fi fans. The real strength of the phenomenal season 4 being, the amount of story arch's put into 1 season. It's fast paced, interesting and emotional.

The cast, and the characters they play, are fantastic; and Clark Gregg is the great leader needed for a show like this. I'm happy that they went through with giving the character of Coulson a TV show after the events of the first Avengers, because Agent Coulson in my eyes, is one of Marvel's biggest stars.

To all those that denounced this show, give it another chance. Rewatch the show, and really get into it; you will not be disappointed.

My Rating: 9.25/10
  • I have to admit that I was less than thrilled with this show's beginning. I didn't think the characters were well defined and the plot seemed very lackluster.

I did continue to watch, though, and I am glad that I did.

Each week, the characters are developing and the chemistry between the actors is getting better. The writing and the quick witted dialog are classic Joss. It just took some time to work out the kinks.

The story lines are getting tighter as the show goes on. Also, as each character develops, there are questions raised that keep me coming back each week for answers.

I'm glad that I stuck with this show and gave it a chance. It is turning out to be a great ensemble action show that I hope will last a long time.
  • I heard an awful lot of people dogging this show at its inception. I wonder if they gave up or kept watching? Because if they kept watching I don't see how they could still be hating.

The past two weeks in particular have seen me literally standing up, pointing at the TV, and yelling things at it. Sometimes all I can manage is gibberish in my excitement; things like "What did the? Did he just? Who's gonna?" There have been so many jaw-dropping moments here of late that I literally do not know who or what to believe.

I failed to see Captain American: The Winter Soldier before "Turn, Turn, Turn", but am not upset by the fact that the show revealed the huge plot points rather than the movie. Yes, I will be seeing The Winter Soldier ASAP, but my heart has been so firmly gripped by the show that it felt more right to get the crazy news from there. I am sure the writers did a great job of making sure neither vehicle gave away too much.

This show has really come into its own since things began to come together after "The Bridge." I love these characters, including the ones I don't know whether to trust anymore, and have been blown away by the world being revealed.

If you hate it, re-watch it. If you still hate it, I'm sorry. But oh my goodness I am a complete SHIELD junkie!
  • Do a little analyse about this web site and you gonna discover that most people voting don't even watch the show. Most of the negative reviews are from the first episode , first year. Look at the True detective serie (most of the review are for the first season, second seasons was abyssal and even after that awful season the rating stay higher than 9. Season 2 of True detective not worth even a 5 of rating.) Also people are voting in the top 50/100 list. Result.... They vote for the same serie over and over. Rise the popularity of the already top 100 series which are old reviews from the first season. Result Series with a slow introduction of all characters in the first season are totally eclipsed. This serie is as good as Firefly if not better This is made by the same guy. Better than any Star Trek, or any actual super heroes series except maybe the Punisher but Punisher is a total different beast. Worth the trip. Let's see what is next....
  • This show is simply amazing, it has great writing, superb acting, unpredictable storylines, deep and interesting themes, great attention to details, and amazing pacing, it's the best show when it comes to using a 22 episode season without being full of filler. The characters on this show are quite well written, they feel, talk and act like real humans , I care about all of them to some extent..in fact, I might be more invested in their lives than I am my real friends..oops! It's not only the main characters though, I often find myself really loving characters that only show up for few episodes, all the props to the writers and the cast. Now the show isn't perfect, it does take some time to gain momentum, the first season while enjoyable is rather slow compared to the rest of the show. also the show tends drop storylines or leave some things unexplained, that doesn't bother me personally, but might bother others. There is also the connections to the rest of the MCU, which some people see as not enough, others too much, and yeah it can be a bit frustrating when the crossovers you imagine don't come through, but it's not something I'd hold against this show, I think they write around the MCU well enough, all things considered. In fact, I like that the show adds a 3rd dimension to the movies, It is more interesting to me than characters showing up for a quick team up or the like.
  • Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D had a rocky start considering it's inception was the brain child of Joss Whedon and with backing of Marvel off the back of the hugely successful Avengers movie. The show suffered from being in the shadow of the movie verse and over promised on something that it never had the ability to deliver which was a story inter-woven with the events of the movies. I could pick apart the show's first season for hours talking about the trouble of episodic T.V in a world that has moved on from that and the poor execution of and end of season twist with one of it's characters. Most viewers tuned out after that and it's a shame because the events The Winter Soldier was the best thing to happen to the show. It allowed the show runners to break away from the movie's and to do it's own thing and this is where the show became interesting. With a greater focus on it's own cast and telling their own stories this is a show that season by season has taken some exciting twists and turns and broken out of the mould it's own frame work. AOS has done unusual of starting bad and getting better each season, it has matured well and I would encourage anyone with an interest in good sci-fi or hero-esc stuff to give it another go.
  • I remember how I felt after watching the first episode. It was 'meh' to describe it best. I think it was only out of sheer boredom I continued to watch it. I especially didn't like Skye. I found her too intrusive and irritating for my liking. But I knew the show still had some potential. The other characters entranced me. Sure the plot was bland and boring but I knew it was only the first few episodes out of twenty two. This meant there was room for development. And by gum did that last episode delivered.

The things with new series are is that they require patience. You have to be very picky if you expect an amazingly complicated plot right at the beginning. A slow start makes sense. It matters on where the show takes us afterwards. And we've been to a lot of places in AoS. It just took time to pull everything together for a neat finish. And I'm glad they took their time; how else are we able to achieve such a deep and rich relationship with all the characters?

I find it really funny how some of the viewers are still bitching about how there were no major SUPERheroes featured in the show. Well, the show made it clear that it was gonna be about the agents and the strength of humanity. Who cares the mains don't have any superpowers? It made me admire them only more.

This show lacked nothing at the end. But perhaps I shall give it a nine for the minor inconvenience of the first couple of episodes.
  • It's been five crazy years around this crew, and what a ride! This show gave me a great amount of joy, thrill, excitement, fear and sleepless nights. It gave me something more to look for during the week.

Great character development and amazing storylines, which got better and better! I have nothing but good things to say about it, so stick around for the first, slower season and keep watching it all. It's more than worthy!
  • kdupes-19 December 2018
    Took me a long time to watch this, And then I watched only half of the first episode and quit. Then I finally went back to it and.... damn glad I did ! > If you like spy type shows like Alias or Nikita then you'll like this. > You've also got some sci-if added into the spy/ crime fighting theme. If you like The 100, Battlestar Galactica or Stargate movie/series then you'll love this show. I could not wait to find out what happened in the next episode. I'm so glad I could just hit "next" and not have to wait a week.
    I was a bit late catching this show, watched Avengers Assemble thinking for years after that Phil was dead, so seeing him brought back in that way was fantastic. I would love for someone to tell Loki and Thor (although I can't see Loki being massively bothered) I really love what the series has done for the Son Of Coul, turned him from a guy who was serious about his position at the Strategic Homeland Intervention Enforcement Logistics Division in Iron Man to a guy who was very serious about his role in saving the world multiple times. (Basically the same thing) . This series has kept me entertained in piecing together how the story fits with the MCU. I love all the characters and did not see some of the twists coming. Like a certain character being the villain in season 1, although some character twists in the Framework in season 4 were kind of obvious. I am halfway through season 5 now, and the most recent episodes had me in tears for a number of reasons, happy and sad. Am expecting much more sadness by the end now, as an almost certain death may happen. However it may happen, it would likely be a fitting end to a fantastic character.
  • Agents of SHIELD is by far the best TV show based on Comic character (beside Netflix Marvel series like Jessica Jones Luck Cage , Daredevil and Iron Fist ) the characters are well develope . It's not like typical Superhero show with particular Villian and our hero defeat him and save the world , it's very complex and well written . the story is running parallel with the Marvel's movies (but without huge spoilers ) , and make you feel that marvel's world is so big and connected . Phil Coulson is the protagonist in the show but they don't focus on that , they give other character a very huge part in the story and you keep forgetting that there is a central character , and the character are so intersting , facinating and complex . It's worth watching and i hope they continue produce more seasons .
  • I only discovered this recently, I am so glad that I did, binge watching from the pilot, I'm just starting series 5. All characters are believable, their developement is well paced, obviously the storylines are out of this worl but for me, this is how you do it.
  • I reviewed the show during the first season, when it was just off to a rocky start, and I said it had potential. But that potential has been satisfyingly reached, and continues to increase with every consecutive season. Without giving any spoilers I'd like to know that there are a lot of twists later on in the first and second season, that really make it a lot more worthwhile to hang in for, and when you go and re-watch the first season with those twists in mind, you realize that it wasn't just something they threw in to make it more interesting, it was something they planned from the beginning and dropped little hints towards that no one noticed. Ward was my least favorite character, until his true nature was revealed, and then when you go back and look at it with the experience of later events, you can see that there's much more underneath the surface. They were playing the long con, fooling people and thinking they were an average episodic show, when they had much more in mind for it. I have never been excited for any episode of agents of shield as I am the season three premiere, and I can't wait for the secret warriors story arc. The 10 I'm rating this is a bit preemptive, because I expect that season three maybe one of the best things to happen to the Marvel universe since Iron man 1, but it's also a bit of an apologetic rating for misjudging it early on in the first season. I now prefer agents of shield to arrow which used to be my favorite superhero show, but is now trailing in a close second.

The visual effects get a 10 out of 10, on par with supernatural or fringe The acting gets an 8 out of 10, added points for Agent may, Skyes impressive character development, and a lot of the humorous moments between Colson and Nick fury, or the infinite likable agent tripp, points docked for Fitz and Simmons "trying to sound smart" speak in season one, although a lot of their more annoying badly written character quirks are ironed out by season two The writing gets a nine out of 10, mostly because hard to write something I don't see coming a mile away, though it might be a bit generous considering a few of the missteps in the early episodes of season one

The fight choreography gets a nine out of 10 for how well it blends with the visual effects, though it might've been a 10 out of 10 if daredevil hadn't come out with that awesome fight scene in the hallway the same year

I now have nothing but high expectations and hopes for the show and I hope it only improves further. A few areas of improvement include Bobbi Morse who is not likable at all, and maybe some kind of seriously superpowered villain, or possibly the skrull invasion, or something on par with that? So far the major antagonists are a bit interchangeable, Whitehall being the major exception, who is probably the best written villain yet. But I feel this show does best with the villain that is both superpowered and covert, mixing subterfuge, espionage and superpowers in action. But the good news is they set up the foundations to make something like that happen spectacularly
  • This series works so well as a stand alone engaging enthralling series,but also as a companion to the greater Marvel Universe. So many strong characters, with a cleverly evolving story line, that often surprises and delights in equal measure. All actors manage to suspend disbelief in the extraordinary and yet maintain a quixotic charm in their performances. 9/10 Brilliant.
  • Its such a cliché to say that every season gets better, I know. But M.A.O.S does just that. As Season 1 wound down, there was speculation that the storytelling wouldn't support the longevity. We wanted to see our favorite heroes from the Marvel Universe but even tie ins with other marvel characters such as Jamie Alexander as Sif from Thor and Sam Jackson as Nick Fury felt like hand me downs from an older sibling. Luckily we got a season 2 and so on. The show's strength seems to be that every new season seems to turn the story on its head and milk more action and drama. With season 4, the show has finally reached a point where it doesn't need any gimmicks. At this point, who cares about the other MCU characters! These characters own their own universe right now. At this point I'd rather see them make an appearance in one of the MCU movies! Season 4 did give us the best Ghost Rider we've ever seen... Now I want to see a Robbie Reyes movie. The season 4 storyline with the LMD's and especially ep 4.15 reminds me of when Star Trek Next Generation finally grew out of the shadow of the original and proved it could carry itself on its own merit. Well done guys.... BRAVO!
  • At first this show did not grab my attention. I have been a Marvel comics fan for many years and have enjoyed watching it grow into some of the best films in the last few years.

When I heard about this show I was worried that it would be overdone with effects and that it would lose a good story arc and character development. I was reassured about a few episodes into the series as I learned about the S.H.I.E.L.D Agency and now a few episodes close the end of the first series I am shouting to the world about how grate this show is.

I know Joss Whedon must get a hard time from fans of Firefly (which I am one of them) and I feel like Joss must always have to live up to that show which was to infant in its ending. I am however starting to love Mr. Whedon's writing once more.

This review is a personal one from me as I enjoy every moment of this series and hope that this will not be another great show that is over criticized and ends before it has truly begun.

• I had previously written a review based off of this show's first four episodes, and I gave it a 7. I felt that, as of that time, it was an average show, and that it could go either way. Most of the first eight episodes were good. A couple were great, even. But: episodes nine and ten were stellar. This series earned its 8th star.

The main characters are good. Agent Coulson, Skye, and Agent May are all very good, and, though some would disagree, I find Fitz and Simmons both likable. As for the minor characters: the people making this show aren't afraid to make up new characters, whether they're hero or villain, super- powered or non-super-powered. They already have a couple of compelling villains that are driven by more than simple greed or madness. The show's special effects are particularly good, which you might well have guessed. The show uses offshoots of classic story-lines such as Extremis. They also make references to the events happening in the Marvel Cinematic Universe at large. They are also beginning to link the events of individual episodes together very nicely. There is a good deal of mystery as to what happened to Coulson after the Battle of New York, and Skye's and May's rather ambiguous background is intriguing.

On the downside, the show contains some gratuitous content (and I'm not talking about showing blood in the action sequences or anything, I mean including things that are genuinely unnecessary). Also, some of the dialogue is a little cheesy. Additionally, some people who have seen a lot of television might find some of the plot elements predictable (although I personally don't).

Let me stress again: this show had potential, and, as of the most recent episodes, it is fulfilling it. It is truly earning its place in the MCU.
  • Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is, for me, the best Marvel achievement so far. Since the very beginning, the series has gotten a strong pace, so I thought it would run out of steam quickly and after a couple of seasons go to hell, which is too common with shows that shoot high, but after four seasons this series still doesn't get tired. The story is very complicated, full of surprises and turnarounds, and even when you think they are now really gone too far, they succeed to present the story to the end without getting stuck or messing up. Plots follow one after the other, leaving no time for a break, without major holes and illogicality. Characterization is far above the standard for sci-fi action. All the characters have a deep background, and their personality and mutual relations are evolving from season to season, in a natural and convincing way. There are no classic fairy tale villains who are evil by default, but the boundary between the good guys and the bad guys is dangerously blurred and the same characters are constantly shifting in both roles. All bad guys have strong reasons for their behavior, and although you do not agree with them, you certainly understand their efforts, which makes them the best villains in the Marvel universe. Special effects and direction of the action scenes are great and the series does not fall behind Marvel's most expensive blockbusters.

Fourth season is awesome combination of "Matrix" and "The Man in the High Castle", that contains the best Marvel's villain to date. I'm eager to see if they can outclass it in fifth season.

8,5/10
    For all of those tv shows last many year, there's a common problem, new watcher can not follow, and those old watchers maybe busy on something else can not watch it always. but i dont think its means that show are not good. i like it very much, but anyway i start to follow it since 2013....
  • dsten327 August 2019
    This show is one that defies expectations. Somehow it's gets better with every season rather than becoming stale. Perhaps the embrace of science fiction allows it to go places that in other shows would feel desperate, but in this context are a logical fulfillment. If you haven't watched, or gave up on the first season, give it a chance. This show will reward you for watching.
  • dothancore21 March 2019
    I don't think the current IMDB score does the show any justice. Season 1 was slow, but over the next seasons, the show really gets much better - both the plot, and character building. It is not really a super-hero show, the main characters are (mostly) human, but this is where I feel it is better, because there are something to relate to. The screen play is well written, characters feel like flesh & blood, instead of just empty vessel. Highly recommended for anyone that is into sci-fi flicks.
  • This is a show that does a lot of interesting things in the marvel universe. It explores the more behind the scenes of a world that has known about super powers and alien tech for decades. Some seasons are noticeably better or worse than others and it is not a gradual decline or increase in quality, so it is better to keep watching, if you don't like a season skip it over for the next. I personally thought season 3 was the worst and and 5 the second worst, though 5 was mostly for the tone and lighting.

Season 5 suffers from being poorly lit, it may be they were trying to get across just how hopeless the situation they were in was, but I just wound up being unable to see much of what was going on. I know they did it on purpose and it wasn't just incompetence from the crew because there are some scenes which are very well lit and quite beautiful to see, but only in two or 3 episodes and then only briefly. It didn't help that season 5 seemed to drag on and take itself too seriously, something the show tends to do too often, sci-fi and super heroes don't need to be comically light hearted but I do prefer more of the excitement and entertainment rather than relentless drama depicted in this series.
  • I'll agree season 1 was slow, but it does get better with each season. Followin the character development is fascinating, and it really demonstrates the power of teamwork. (I know that was a little cheesy) season 4 and on is my not favorite, and I can't wait for season 6. Definitely recommend!