• The game manages to bring the joys of the game we have all come to know and love "super smash bros" and turned it into an entirely new game, yet it still manages to find success. The games gameplay is phenomenal once you get the hang of it, it is complicated at first, but like any other game you begin to gel, and get used to it. The graphics are also amazing, (this game is 5 gigs,) so you can tell they spent a lot of time polishing this game, and i am very happy with the final product. I also love the roster, as it has many playstation classics, from Sly Cooper to Jak and Daxter to that Bioshock guy big daddy. This game is an absolute blast to play. The sound effects are great, although i am not an expert on sound so you shouldn't be taking my advice on it haha. Either way i love this game and have a feeling this franchise could go a long way.
  • There have been a lot of clones of Super Smash. Bros over the years since the series released its first game in 1999, but some of them ended up being based more on popular cartoons (like Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion) or are original properties (like Brawlout). However, Sony decided to try and do a Smash clone with the Playstation-exclusive heroes and some third-party characters, resulting in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

So, you may be wondering, what sets this game apart from the Super Smash Bros. series? A lot. One of the main draws is that unlike some Super Smash Bros. games, this game actually has a story explaining why all these characters are fighting each other, as the game's main antagonist, Polygon Man (for those who were not born at the time of the first Playstation's pre-launch, he was originally going to be the mascot until the console's creator rejected him) has opened time holes allowing the many PlayStation characters (as well as some third party characters, some whose franchises started out as PlayStation-exclusives) to collide with each other. In the Arcade Mode, each character has his or her own reasons to enter the fight, all with one aim: to attain the ultimate power.

The character roster is good, but not perfect. Basically, you have the recent characters like Nathan Drake, Cole MacGrath (who comes as two separate characters, with the second being Evil Cole), and Sackboy, while also including legacy characters like Sweet Tooth, Sly Cooper, and Kratos. But that's not all, the roster also includes forgotten characters like PaRappa, Spike from the Ape Escape series, and Sir Dan, and tops it off with third party characters like Heihachi from Tekken and Raiden from the Metal Gear series (the latter showing up as he appears in Metal Gear Rising Revengance).

The gameplay is also different from Smash Bros. While it has some control similarities, the way to score has changed. Instead of knocking your opponent off the stage, your character has a meter that can be filled by collecting AP orbs (AP is short for All-star Power), which appear when characters land attacks. When a meter is full by even one level, this allows the character to perform a super move that, if it connects to a defenseless opponent, will kill him, either taking away a life or adding a point to the attacking character's score, depending on the match rules. Each character has three super moves, with the third super move, which requires the super meter being at the max level of 3, being the most powerful and starting with a cinematic when activated.

Every fighter needs stages to fight in, and Playstation All-Stars provides that. Thankfully, they have stages based on some of the games represented (like Twisted Metal having Black Rock Stadium from the PS3 game, and Hades from the God of War series), however, what makes them different from Smash Bros.'s stages is that they have another game mixed in to serve as either a stage hazard or a cameo (Columbia, the level based on Bioshock Infinite, will have Iron Maiden from Twisted Metal PS3 fly up and attack, while Dreamscape, a stage based on LittleBigPlanet, will have Buzz, the host of the Buzz series of trivia games, appear to quiz the characters, with the wrong answer leading to a pie thrown at said character and loss of AP).

The game was good, and it had two DLC packs, each one adding two new characters and one new stages. Sadly, the second DLC pack did not sell well enough that it not only cancelled future DLC (which included Dart from Legend of Dragoon and Abe from the Oddworld series), but also cancelled any hopes for a sequel, and Sony cutting ties with SuperBot Entertainment, which is sad. With over a million copies sold and various good reviews and even winning Fighting Game Of The Year at the D.I.C.E. Summit in 2013, this game deserves a sequel, With the problems people had like the character choice, the AI being too flawed, and maybe even improve Campaign mode so we get movies instead of still images, and it could improve into a serious competitor to the Super Smash Bros. series.
    (Reviewed on PS Vita) PlayStation Allstars is often overlooked and seen as a Super Smash Bros clone. However, while it may look similar, being a platform fighter, it plays extremely differently. You have three buttons to do main attacks which are all different, and X to jump. It's nice to have a wide variety of moves, but with gimmicky characters like SackBoy there are moves that actively encourage use of only one button. Even with other characters, you sometimes don't know what you're even doing and just spamming any attack. It's stunning even on PS Vita. The game has a large selection of fighters and 4 DLC characters. (I haven't bought any DLC so I can't give any feedback on them) Each character is very different and unique, apart from Cole and Evil Cole, who are just semi clones. While there is the normal fight mode and multiplayer which unfortunately I couldn't try out, arcade mode is by far the best mode. The stories, while simple, are good enough and it's nice to see them intertwine with another. You go through some fights, face a rival and defeat the polygon head...thing...these are all good fights, but some fights are ruined by just a CPU mode. In some fights, you'll fight one big CPU and two smaller ones. The big cpu will primarily go for you and drain your energy points. If you manage to get away it'll drain away the weaker CPU energy points. Energy points are needed to preform kill attacks, so this is a clear problem. While I only really experience this on legend mode, the other modes are a bit too easy for my liking. This kind of hard however is just unfair.

Because of the fact you can end up playing aimlessly, weird characters like SackBoy and the unfair CPU in Arcade, this game gets an 8, although if this site supported it I would've gave a 7.7. I'd recommend it if you can get online with it, or have friends who would play locally on a PS3.
  • This is one of the more stranger releases when it comes to PlayStation exclusives. I remember playing this when I was younger before I even knew about the Super Smash Bros. series if you can believe it. I remember really liking it because of the fact that I could play as some of my favorite PlayStation mascots. I remember the gameplay being pretty good, as well. Funnily enough, though, I never played it again after like 5 hours with it. I just lost interest, and I didn't know why at the time. But, after finally getting around to playing the SSB games, it's crystal clear why. This game is severely lackluster in a lot of ways. The roster is only mediocre. Not bad, but there isn't anyone one wouldn't expect, causing it to feel a bit stale. It doesn't help that it's also small. The stages are all somewhat boring. Again, not bad, but they're mostly flat with a few platforms thrown in there. There are also not a lot of them, either. The gameplay, while it isn't that bad, is a bit needlessly convoluted. There were times where I was mindlessly mashing buttons instead of using actual strategy. I didn't notice it when I was younger, but after playing the SSB games, which all control fantastically and invoke strategy, it's honestly staggering how much worse the gameplay is here. Again, it can be manageable, but it's just not optimal compared to the SSB games. That leads us to the modes. The story mode isn't that fun, as it drags on pretty long, and while the cutscenes and dialogue can be charming, that doesn't stop it from feeling a bit disappointing. The online community is close to non existent, thanks to this not only being a bit old, but for it just not being that fun compared to other fighting games. However, while it sounds like I've been bashing this game to death, this isn't necessarily bad. The visuals are great, the music is good, the locales of the stages are awesome, and the multiplayer can be fun, too. This also isn't that bad of an option for those who are strictly PlayStation fans, as it's an alright enough fighting for people in that group. But, this is close to impossible to recommend to anyone else, as this is a straight up rip-off of SSB, and it doesn't even have as much as content as SSB Melee, which, in 2012, is still kind of pathetic. This is nothing more than a decent effort that leaves me very torn. Sure, if you're a hardcore PlayStation fan. Save your money and pick up any of the SSB games instead if you're not.