• Spoiler free review. Let me first start of by saying that I am not a Marvel ''fanboy'' or a DC nerd. The comic book genre of films have made it to my personal top 3 favourite genres in the last decade and the MCU has been a strong contributor to that rise. I hold the first Ironman, first Avengers and Captain America 1+2 in high regard. I did not like the direction they took with Iron Man 3 (more on this below) or Guardians of the Galaxy but Winter Soldier was a gem in terms of balancing solid action, drama and levity.

That being said, my initial thoughts on Age of Ultron (AoU) are quite negative. To me, its essentially a carbon copy of IM3. There are problems which strike you repeatedly as you progress throughout the film. The 2 biggest complaints I have with AoU is 1) the tone (comedy) 2) the script/writing.

So starting with the tone. I like to laugh as I'm sure most people do, but there is a time and place to exhibit your comedy writing skills in an action film. In AoU, its a constant, recurring and predictable theme. It's not limited to one character either, everyone is popping one liner jokes as if its the Expendables and yes, most are not funny. The timing of these moments of levity are horrible too, desensitising the viewer to any impending fear of death in battle. If the characters seem so relaxed in not worrying about possibly dying, then what suspense is needed to be held by the audience? This plagued IM3 in a bad way and its arguably worse here. The comic book films which achieved great success in this regard were XMen DOFP, The Avengers 1, Cap 2 even Dark Knight Rises! Can you imagine at the climax of Xmen DOFP if old Magneto and Storm and Bishop start pulling one liner jokes as the army of sentinels came charging at them? It would kill any tension! 2) The script. I won't say too much since this is a spoiler free review, but it really feels rushed and unorganised. I watched Fast 7 around 2 weeks before AoU and I got similar vibes. Again, its not the fact that the film is 2.5 hours long or has too many characters, that isn't am excuse since The Dark Knight and Xmen DOFP shows how to navigate these theatrical obstacles. There are a few completely unnecessary subplots in AoU and useless characters which do not impact the story overall. The villain himself, Ultron is another massive let-down in Marvels already growing catalogue of mishandled villains.

So as a summary, if you want mindless action and cool CGI, which this film does offer in the form of some spectacular visual fight scenes then you will like AoU. If you are after a darker, grounded and more moving story like the trailers promised, you will be severely disappointed. Final score 6/10 and I am being kind since Cap is my fav Avenger and they finally gave him some good screen time.
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) is a MARVEL damn good superhero flick and an excellent sequel! Yes it is miles way better than Jurassic World and Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Terminator Genisys I have enjoyed this film much better than Jurassic World, Star Wars and Terminator the new movies.

This film is fun, popcorn, Action and entertaining action sequel flick. I like the first one but I love this one much more. The first time I watch it, I did not like this film at all, it did not work for me, but the second time around this flick was awesome and it become one of my favorite MARVEL superhero movies. I love this film so much, more than the first Avengers. James Spader made the movie for me! So much better than Loki.

James Spader and Robert Downey Jr. played together in a teen movie Tuff Turf in 1985 and 30 years later they teamed together to star in a MARVEL comic book super hero film. I like Tuff Turf but Avengers: Age of Ultron is far way better film to me. I love this film so much and I will never get the backlash. Joss Whedon gave me everything I wanted in a sequel. This and the first film are in my top 10 films of all time.

I waited a long time for this universe and I am loving every minute of it. Superhero movies come out all time but something like this is what I love about movies.

Plot: Tony Stark creates the Ultron Program to protect the world, but when the peace-keeping program becomes hostile, The Avengers go into action to try and defeat a virtually impossible enemy's to get. Earth's mightiest heroes must come together once again to protect the world from global extinction.

I really enjoy this movie I don't get the backslash and a lot of people were disappointed with this sequel that it is not so good as the first film. Age of Ultron is in my top 3 favorite comic book films. Number 1 will always be Captain America: The Winter Soldier and number 2 will be Captain America: The First Avenger, I just love those two films: Captain America is my favorite superhero character in MARVEL comic books.

Captain America in this movie is the most decent hero in this movie, he did not want the leave the island with people stuck on it, he refused too, I have seen a hero in him.

People are keep getting upset over Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), "oh look what they did with Black Widow." I saw the film and I am seeing her kicking ass or calm down the Hulk, which is a pretty ballsy thing to do. Specially for someone who has no balls and she is kicking ass and driving motorcycle, driving around shooting for Cap, helping them to get vision android to beat Ultron and she is the only one with no powers, except Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner), she has the to get the thing for them. I think it would be weird to kidnapped Thor, if you put Thor in the scene duh. I enjoy this movie much more than the first film, the first film I liked okay, I like the first Avengers film. This is a fun popcorn entertainment flick that I really love.

I like the romance between Black Widow with Hulk it was really good fast paced entertainment. I love Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff / Scarlet Witch I like the twist by the end of the film that she turn her side around when she found out that Ultron wants to destroy everything on this planet I love that. You have Aaron Taylor-Johnson in it from Kick-Ass film as Pietro Maximoff / Quicksilver sadly he dies on the end of the film, but he saves Hawkeye and a kid from Ultron firing bunch of bullets on them I thought that was pretty decent in the film. In my opinion Aaron Taylor-Johnson did a good job playing his character. I love that they return Samuel L. Jackson to the movie back as Nick Fury and that he help them out fighting Ultron. James Spader did a terrific excellent job playing Ultron.

Avengers: Age of Ultron is a 2015 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics superhero team the Avengers, produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. It is the sequel to 2012's The Avengers and the eleventh film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU).

You have a lot of action in it, I also love that Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Thor, Bruce Banner (Hulk), Natasha Romanoff, and Clint Barton work together after Ultron failed to destroy them and they go in to safe house to Clinton's family, I like that. When Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen) touches Black Widow, Iron Man and Thor I like that you see a background of Natasha Romanoff's childhood, I like that. I love the African shipyard you see them on a ship and I love the last stand. I love that the Vision helps Avengers to destroy and stop Ultron from extinction. Btw I love to death Black Widow / Natasha Romanoff (Scarlett Johansson) she is so beautiful and charming I love her. Overall: I am giving this flick 10 out of 10 for me Age of Ultron is my #3 favorite super hero movie. I can't wait for the next movie: Captain America: Civil War.
  • being a huge Marvel fan, and also Josh Whedon fan I was super excited for him to come back and do another Avengers movie. The first film was pretty brilliant. But with this film, Whedon wasn't given much air to breathe, with constant Studio interference and orders of certain shots to be re- done, or scrapped if not worse. Put in.

So, you thinking why is this film so bad, if you are a fan, you should love it. Well the film changes pace, very quickly and abruptly, which is a poor sign of movie making. The Characters do not act like they would usually act in the same scenario, the progression of the story is all over the place, Scene's that just have no weight or meaning to the film, but in there because it looks cool or is setting up another independent super hero movie, the Villain that is so smart, but doesn't use the internet and his ability to control everything just to wipe out everybody, but rather has this ridiculously stupid plan. The Hero's that are suppose to be smart, intelligent and some what Spanish do not see all of the stupid plot hole that get infiltrated.

The fighting was also a problem for me, it was the same. Once you saw it in the first Avengers, you see exact same thing in the second one too, and it doesn't even change a little.

Overall, this film is bunched up due to the constant interference by Studio as Josh has stated so many times now.
  • I have noticed a trend of negative reviews directed at the humor in the movie. Listen...humor is subjective. It's also a big part of these types of movies. When I read someone criticize the movie because the heroes are dropping one-liners during intense fighting scenes and to them, this downplays the seriousness of the situation or shows a lack of concern for safety from our heroes, I shake my head so hard I get dizzy.

This is a comic book movie! It's a fantasy/fiction/whatever you want to call it! I'm not a comic book expert, but have been a big fan of the Marvel Universe on film since Iron Man 1. I found the writing in AoU to be sharp and witty. And yes, I laughed more than I thought I would.

"There's not enough character development!" I've seen this in the negative reviews, too. Look, we've had 3 Iron Mans, 2 Captain Americas, 2 Thors, and a Hulk movie to develop the characters. At this point, there isn't much more we really need, is there? Yes, we see more about Hawkeye's personal side here, but to me, that only feels fair since he's not big enough to carry his own film. And given that he's very much just a human with a great set of physical skills and is less protected and faces his mortality far more than the others do, I felt like it made perfect sense here. We see and learn more about Black Widow in this one, as well. So the complaints about character development don't hold any weight to me. It sounds like the angst of a group of people expecting to see the Empire Strikes Back version of the Avengers.

In Age of Ultron, we get immediate, sustained action. I don't know about you, but if I'm going to watch a movie with a cast of characters that have the abilities of the Avengers, I want to see them in action! The creativity of the collaborative fighting was improved as well and was featured much more so than in the first one. That was something that I think the first film lacked, the side by side teamwork. This movie held my attention from start to finish.

As my summary says above, Mjollnir is a pleasantly surprising star of the movie. When you watch it, you'll see why and in my opinion, if you don't enjoy its role here, you really just have a bad attitude!
  • In 2012, there came a day unlike any other day where the worlds greatest heroes were united against a common threat and THE AVENGERS blew away audiences of all ages with the first ever comic book movie crossover. In 2015, there came another day unlike any other day and this time the world is threatened by a Ultron, the cynical critical atypical child of Skynet and Megatron...... No actually he's just a wisecracking artificial intelligence with delusions of godhood and all round evil. Turning on his creators, he threatens all life on earth with his sidekicks "illusion- woman" and "not-the-flash"....I mean, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, and it is up to the Avengers to take him out before he can usher in THE AGE OF ULTRON.

Instead of the robot dominated dystopian future that we saw in the comics, what we do get is more "the next few days of Ultron". No matter, it is an exciting few days with director Joss Whedon balancing the intercharacter dynamics with awesome action pieces from claustrophobic close combat, to a freeway chase, to the much advertised no holds barred beat down between the Hulk and iron man's new "hulk buster" Armour. All this is supplemented with beautiful special effects from Industrial Lights and Magic ILM. Flawless work befitting the movie's massive Budget.

In The villain, Ultron, the Writers have crafted a memorable though under utilised bad guy. Ultron could have been the vehicle to explore deeper themes, themes that were merely hinted at but never fleshed out. Instead, His cynical yet refined snarling courtesy of James Spader reminds me of the those magnificently passionate Super villains that were so common in Saturday morning cartoons of old.

And that is exactly what this is. AGE OF ULTRON can be described as a true live action cartoon. The dialogue is light hearted, the story is straightforward, the tone is fun and the action is immense. And this is not exactly a good thing. Intense scenes are interrupted and spoilt with poorly placed humour and once again the story does not seem to take itself seriously.

Fights are over-choreographed, more like some fancy ballet than an all out battle. The fact that it cuts to graceful slow motion once in a while only emphasises the dance like nature of the fights.

And yet the movie felt like pieces of it were cut out. The narrative does not flow as smoothly as the first with inexplicable scenes like Thor suddenly going off on his hallucination trip. Much of the premise and the characters development up to this point very much depends on the viewer watching prior marvel movies.

It is here that Marvel studio's continuity heavy Creative direction rears its ugly head. To know what is going on in this movie, one would have to watch the previous movies. Captain America the winter soldier, iron man 3, the first avengers movie. But perhaps that's the point? Force people to go buy the Blu rays or the video to rewatch and get up to speed. In the end, the real big winner is distributor Disney. Ka-Ching $$.

I like a good comedy. In in a big action blockbuster, I like to believe that the stakes are real, that the dangers faced by our heroes are real, that they are really fighting for the fate of the world. Instead, we get this cartoony violence, with equally cartoony superficial story, where heroes joke around with quick lighthearted quips in the middle of a fight scene where people could die. This kills tension. And if it weren't for the magnificent effects, action and direction, AGE OF ULTRON would have scored a bit lower.
  • At the moment, "Simple opinion" certainly will do without the husks and garbage. If that's all Weedon cleaned, then what am I? Number ninety-eight, "The Avengers: The Age of the Altron"

It seems that in advertising, neither the cinematic Marvel, nor their apogee - "Avengers" certainly do not need. Especially, the second part of them. But, if you somehow managed to distract / not notice / or just sleep in the ice of the Antarctic for the last twenty years, then the easiest way to describe what you are going to is to go to the amusement park. At what this is the second, improved version of this, which came last time.

The only claim that can somehow put up the "Era of the Altron" - the presence of the previous film, which though not on purpose, but leveling part of the effect. Nevertheless, we have already seen something similar, and we approximately know what to expect. A group of diverse heroes forced to unite for the common goal, a charismatic villain at the head of a crowd of faceless clones ... It's not that we would not see it, or we did not want to look again ... And it looks like Joss Weedon knows all the pitfalls in itself a sequel. It is no longer necessary to tell the stories of the main characters (just like last time, actually), and we do not even need to disclose the reasons for their interactions, and therefore the movie tells the stories of the characters who were deprived of attention last time. Altron is a jerk, he sings songs, runs over himself and avengers, sincerely not understanding why they are needed, if he is - all such in vibnium. And the Scarlet witch and Mercury, having lost the status of mutants, contributed a huge share of diversity to the action and history, not to mention that there are not many sympatians in the frame.

The narrated story serves as a flip bridge to the further development of the cinematic universe, but it was done in a large and effective way, being a worthy continuation of the first part. Joss Weedon thus secured us with you, yourself and the co-owners of the need for the third part and the story of the same story for the third time. Wisely, considering that the history of cinema has repeatedly proved that the same approach in a trickle does not work in ninety-five percent of cases. One way to hide the roughness and surpass the original is an action, and it was brought here with a surplus. Beginning exactly with what the original ended - the interaction of the Avengers as one, one-piece team, shown by one shot, the second part thus hints that there will be even more. And, believe me, "The Age of Altron" does not disappoint, and the viewer will receive a huge amount of beauty and effects, the performance of which is honed in all the previous parts of the universe. Well, we will not forget that this is Marvel - there will be plenty of humor, and even the hammer of the torah will become a real joker.

The second phase of the cinematographic universe is coming to an end, and the result of its evolution was presented to the audience. This is no longer a novelty, but no one promised, honestly on the heart. "The era of the Altron" - an ideal blockbuster, which is the result of the development of entertainment movies.

This is not a streaming production, it's not an attempt to keep up with someone, or to prove to someone something - it's a one-off product, quality and collected manually. Not creativity, not invention, not art. Quality of manual assembly, that's all.
    "People stopped being people in 1913. That was the year Henry Ford put his cars on rollers and made his workers adopt the speed of the assembly line. At first, workers rebelled. They quit in droves. Now we plug right into repetitive motions of a hundred kinds." - Jeffrey Eugenides

Produced by Marvel Studios (now a subsidiary of the Walt Disney Company), "Avengers: Age of Ultron" is a gazillion dollar superhero movie. Most of the film consists of dull, unimaginative action sequences in which powerful "good warriors" battle powerful "bad warriors". These action sequences - which have no sense of style, tempo and which are totally devoid of tension - are rolled out like crude, Pavlovian commands; the chemical rushes cynically demanded by corporate candy factories.

Breaking up the monotony of these monotonous actions sequences are equally monotonous and equally mechanical scenes in which our heroes "talk", "reveal their personalities" and "share their feelings". These scenes exist, not because Marvel Studios has any interest in drama, characters or continuity, but because "films are supposed to have these scenes". In the Marvel universe, nothing really matters. The individual plots and over-arching plot lines of Marvel's films don't matter. Characters don't matter. These things are only present to present the illusion of storytelling. They are filler. The constituents of a factory assembly line whose sole goal is the procurement of money.

You can't have a Marvel Movie without a super-villain. This time around our villain's a Really Bad Guy who wants to do Really Bad Stuff and who ironically pokes fun at Conventional Movie Villain Dialgoue whilst actually totally adhering to clichés. This villain (spoiler?) is defeated. Along the way, the film "comically" delivers its obligatory "one swear word", but not before a room full of lawyers and marketing executives run up the data, salivate over pie-charts and double check with global ratings boards.

Marvel Studios has a history of roping in "irreverent" and "edgy" directors. Afterall, you can't sell cookie cuttered dough to zombies without pretending it's the work of a rebel. As such, "Age of Ultron" was directed by Joss Whedon, a geek-king with a flair for zany dialogue. But like Tarantinospeak, Woody Allenspeak, Mametspeak and Coenspeak, Joss Whedonspeak is now officially annoying. Indeed, everyone in Whedon's "Ultron" now sports the same voice. Every character, be they villain, hero, co-star, robot or computer, is an ironic, sarcastic, wisecracking master of zany one liners. This orgy of flippancy, non-sequiturs and "cool dialogue" reeks of desperation; cool stops being cool when everyone speaks cool.

Watching most Marvel Movies is a bit like being forced to watch a pornographic movie for a full two hours past the point of ejaculation. "Ultron" in particular bludgeons you with bludgeoning. It's filled with CGI muscle-men pounding and stomping, blowing up buildings and tossing cars back and forth, and then doing it again, and again and again and again, and then again in the sequels and then again on the directors' cuts, and then again in the reboots, and then again in the reboots' sequels and then again and again. And then a few more times. And then again and again.

Today, Marvel Studios now rolls like one of the world's largest conveyor belts; factory film-making as the epitome of the self-perpetuating capitalist machine, repackaging and marketing to every inch of the world. Art subservient to product cycles, product obsolescence and schizoid brains. And all the while, the Studio keeps expanding, pushing their movies in the summer, their TV shows in the fall/winter, and their streaming shows in the spring before the cycle is repeated all over again. With the new mantra of #ItsAllConnected - ironic, considering no Marvel show/series meaningfully connects to another - Marvel moves like the cinematic equivalent of malware. And now that Disney's acquired the "Star Wars" franchise, we can expect it to similarly start squeezing new "Star Wars" movies out of its mechanical orifices like diseased clockwork.

Incidentally, like most recent Marvel movies, "Age of Ultron's" chief villain is essentially a Western defence contract run amok. So we have another "anti violence", "anti military" Marvel film which gets its kicks from violence, mass murder and the flattering of whole cities. Lazily written and acted, the film finds actor Mark Ruffalo continuing to be excellent, soulful and layered. He plays the Hulk, a property damage loving green dude with magical pants.

3/10 – What was Ultron's age anyway? Was that dude even legal? Worth no viewings.
  • It hurts to rate this so poorly, but it certainly deserves the low marks. There were so many things that ruined this movie for me.

1) The Storytelling - Or lack thereof. There was not a compelling story to be told here. Ultron wants to blow up the world, the Avengers try to stop him. That's all the audience ever really knows about this story and it felt flat and unfulfilling.

2) Plot? - The movie opens with our heroes in the middle of a battle for reasons that are largely unimportant. That pretty much sums up this whole film

3) The Love Interest - Totally underdeveloped. We're basically told by the script writer that these two people are in love, but never are we SHOWN that they're falling in love. It rang completely hollow.

4) The Humor - There were WAY too many jokes in this movie, and that wouldn't have been all that bad if so many of them weren't eye rollers. Many of them left me groaning.

5) Ultron - This guy appears out of nowhere and is woefully underdeveloped. Plus, he's supposed to be some kind of AI but he's constantly cracking off stupid one-liners and making facial expressions that I thought were inconsistent with what and who he was supposed to be.

6) Character Overload - There were WAY too many characters to do any of them any justice. I would have liked the film to focus on a smaller group of characters and their relationships with one another, instead, we got a who's who of the entire Marvel universe leaving a lot to be desired.

I could go on, but my heart is still aching and I don't want to talk about it anymore. I see that a lot of people liked it and I'm happy that they did. I only wish it hadn't been such a colossal disappointment for me.
  • Everything seems so bland. The constant jibe of who gets the last word in seems forced, predictable and acts like an edit for the next scene. Coming out of the screening, there is not one scene or moment that i feel that i can walk away with in awe.

The romantic angle that was introduced lack chemistry. From out of nowhere, the characters involved suddenly had an interest for one another? Without any build up of it in past movies nor in this one, it just felt empty.

Camera angles that were purposefully shot for the intentional thrill of 3D is like any other angles used in any other 3D-movie-going-experience. I wonder when will this gimmick/trend go away.

All in all...it is still watchable. It just left a disdain taste of yet another repetition of the Marvel formula. Age of Ultron neither has the quality and magic of both Guardians of the Galaxy or Captain America Winter Soldier had.
    ...Phase 2 of the Marvel movies had been batting .500 for me. I did not enjoy Iron Man 3 or Thor: Dark World, but really dug Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain America: Winter Soldier (Cap 2 is probably the best film in the entire Marvel series!)

Based on that, I don't think I am surprised that I came out of Age of Ultron with mixed feelings. Overall it is a solid entry, but it is by no means flawless.

The good:

Really liked the intro of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. I liked the horror-movie tropes tied to Scarlet Witch (she is a Witch afterall!) and Aaron Taylor-Johnson's Quicksilver had a lot of personality.

The action, of course, was great. And Hawkeye actually had something to do in this film.

The Vision: They did such an incredible job building mystique around this character.

The Bad:

Wasn't a fan of that extended scene at the Farm. That stopped the movie cold. I know some people say "It was necessary for character development", but the previous films had done such a poor job of giving Hawkeye any character that seeing him on the Farm did absolutely nothing for me.

The romance: Ugh. Talk about forced. I like Ruffalo's Banner. I really do. I was surprised how much i did in the first Avengers, cause i'm usually not a Ruffalo fan. But I just did not see any chemistry between Ruffalo and Scar-Jo. And where was the build-up to this? Last time we saw these 2 together Hulk was trying to smash Black Widow.

Marvel needs to work on their female-story lines.

Ultron was kind of a lame villain. I don't think there was enough build-up for him. He just sorta showed up and was evil.

Overall: Is it worth seeing in the theatre? Yes of course it is. But it is not without its flaws, and sure doesn't top Cap 2.
  • I'll say this: If you don't mind more of the same you'll probably love this movie. If you wanted something different, some change to the Marvel formula, you'll be disappointed. Age of Ultron is pretty much the same movie as the first one. Especially the ending which feels like it follows the first movie beat by beat.

There are good, fun moments spread all through the movie, don't get me wrong I liked plenty of stuff in it. The romance between Hulk and Black Widow was interesting, this universe has been weirdly sexless so it was nice to see some tension between the characters. But good moments don't make a good movie. What annoyed me in Age of Ultron was how it just glossed over so many things. The story is extremely thin, even for a superhero movie.

Tony Stark retired in Iron Man 3 and now he's suddenly back? They don't even try to explain his return. Tony Stark also creates Ultron, the main bad guy of the movie who goes to cause some major mayhem. The movie just glosses over the fact that everything is Stark's fault. Aside Hawkeye there isn't any character development. These movies always just seem to be about "setting something up" for the future movies and I think I finally figured it. The only thing they're setting up is more characters running around, bigger CGI punching bigger CGI and bigger thing falling from the sky. In the middle of all this it's just so hard to care about anything. All those previous movies build to this?

Age of Ultron seems to just be in a hurry and jump over the story and get to the CGI punching CGI and oh boy there's plenty of that. The Avengers fight an army of generic, faceless and harmless CGI robots for 2 hours, roll credits. I just didn't care. There's no stakes in the action. When the characters are just joking around I'm not worried if they'll make it till the next movie.

Marvel should have gotten serious in Age of Ultron. You can be serious without being all "dark and gritty" too. Joss Whedon said he was influenced by Empire Strikes Back and Godfather Part 2. Joss Whedon promised we'd see some superhero blood. Joss Whedon failed.
    Yes, the Avengers Age of Ultron is a dream come true. This is exactly the sequel to a great film that we have been dreaming about. It's superb on every single level. It honestly has no real flaws that I could see. How great does a movie have to be given the inherent difficulties in making a film like this in the first place? Writer/director Joss Whedon did an admirable job of balancing the screen time of the sprawling and expanding cast.

As for the new characters, I loved what they did with The Vision and how they did it. The Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver — aka, Pietro and Wanda Maximoff are amazing as well. Wanda's psychic powers are much more complicated and empathetic then I expected them to be. What I love about Wanda is that she physically goes through emotional trauma when she uses certain powers and we as the audience go with her on that emotional journey. Like just about everything this film, that really packs a punch.

Marvel's done a great of making its superhero movies about the title characters more than the villains. In both team films now, the bad guy has stepped up and been phenomenal. Both films delivered true treats. This movie actually tops the first in scope and drama and that's in no small part to a superb villain. I feel that Ultron tops any bad guy since Darth Vader himself. His presence, manipulation and motivation leads to the best action sequences ever put to film. It also leads to an intriguing story and remarkable performances as this fine cast is allowed to flex their emotional muscles as well as their superhero muscles.

I can say without hesitation that movies just don't get better than this one sequel or otherwise.
    There's no one word that can some up this movie. I won't use 'eh' because that's a bit too vague, and I think it's a bit better than that. But things like 'good' or 'amazing' are too crazy to use. Welcome to my review.

Age of Ultron opens to a fine start -in fact, an amazing start- with a fresh, intense, action-packed sequence. The Avengers are introduced for the sequel, and so are two new characters: Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. These ended up being my favourite (Yes, I'm spelling it right. I'm not American, y'know) characters in this movie. Unfortunately, they get tossed a side a bit. Considering they're new characters, and considering one is in an upcoming movie and the other dies, they should have gotten more development. I adored Scarlet Witch and her powers, at least in the parts that she's ACTUALLY IN.

After the opening, everything goes downhill, at least SLIGHTLY. Ultron's introduction is quite terrible. Can anyone explain to me how this invisible force can suddenly SPEAK inside a whole load of technological material? I don't know... It just felt pretty dumb to me. If this was how it was in the comics, then I suppose I can't really complain much. But I guess I could say that it doesn't translate to screen very well.

After that, the movie becomes kind of dull. I kept twitching in my seat various different times. If I can say one thing, it's that the action sequences were fantastic, and they're the only things that hold this movie up. Ultron was nothing like he was in the teaser trailer that got me hyped, nor was the movie. I wanted a dark, gritty, intense, heart-breaking, half-horror movie! The advertising for this movie is false, almost to the point where I could sue. Remember Scarlet's gut-wrenching scream, or maybe Ultron saying "There's no strings on me" in the teaser trailer? Well guess what? Nowhere to be found.

But there's one last thing that makes me feel at least a bit satisfied with the movie, and that was the last act. When Ultron's plans were finally revealed, everything turned amazing. The CGI effects were absolutely incredible, and there are shots in the trailers that would reveal his plan if they were extended by a few seconds, so keep an eye out...

By the end of this review, I can finally figure out one word to sum this up. 'Overrated.'

You can mark this review as unhelpful, but I don't care. It's my opinion. This movie is definitely NOT a must see, but I guess it is for any fans of the comics.

Just be prepared for a completely different film to the film marketed in the trailers.. Thank you for reading, and I know that at least somebody will agree with me.

EDIT:

So I was sippy sipping on my mug of tea and I almost spat it out all over my screen. This movie is rated 7.9. I have now changed my 6/10 rating to 1/10 simply to try and lower the rating to what it deserves.

Before you Marvel nerds attack me, I am doing this because this movie is average at most. You are crazy if you rate it higher than 6.

Goodbye.
  • Given how teeming with multiple awkwardly-diverse characters the AVENGERS franchise is, you can imagine how difficult and mentally-exhausting it is to gather all these uniquely vivid plot lines, with all their interspersing expositories and asides, and still be able to form one coherent and fluidly-constructed narrative. The first Avengers movie proved itself able to carry the weight of such challenge, and came out successful in delivering one the most poignant superheroic tales ever told. This year, AGE of ULTRON blasts into cinemas carrying the load of mammoth anticipation. While it is expected to perform better—if not as well as the previous release—it will not be totally surprising, and will still be forgivable, if it falls just a feet beneath the staggering anticipation. Well, you can thank Joss Whedon for helming this projec. This movie soars past expectations.

In AGE OF ULTRON, as the characters further expand, new names join the team, proving how much more difficult it must be for the screenwriters to still cling to their material's soundness, and make that further engaging and compelling. Nevertheless, Whedon and his prolific team of scriptwriters, come out triumphant over these apparent hurdles, managing again to weave all the heroes' divergent story lines and confine them together into one solid plot. Whedon effectively mines the capacities of these individuals and turns them into the very foundation of his epic superhero saga.

Robert Downey's Iron Man/Tony Stark remains as a formidable figurehead in spite of his ever cynical and highly confident posture, while Chris Evans provides a dependable alternative with Captain America's leadership. There's an implicit undertone playing beneath the trajectory of these two leaders' relationship, and that might serve as an indirect catalyst to what is set to unfold in Captain America: Civil War. Chris Hemsworth's guileless 'Thor' is ever militant, yet innocent. This movie also draws more of the previous installment's less-utilized characters, into the scopes of its spotlight. Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye, enjoys his expanded character whose interaction with other avengers, has immensely improved, and he also has some of the best jaw-dropping action sequences here. Mark Ruffalo as Hulk still smashes, he's as diffident as he is dangerous, and yet still charmingly funny. Scarlett Johanson's character, Black Widow, has been treated with bigger attention, and her presence is never less if not as strong as her male counterparts. To forget the newcomers, Taylor Johnson's Quicksilver and Elizabeth Olsen's Scarlet Witch, is totally unfair too, as these two cemented their fiery presence right at the very first battle sequence of the movie. Same can be said with Paul Bettany's Vision, whose mysterious power might be the very weapon that could propel the Avengers to winning their battle against their biggest enemy: ULTRON. James Spader's voice strikes as the perfect embodiment of the indomitable android ULTRON who is hellbent to rendering the planet to extinction. Spader has the utmost command of the character and has fueled it with utter rage and bitterness, and calm and ease when needed. You're not going to forget Sam Jackson's Nick Fury too, and the rest of his team, including Falcon. He's as effectively leading his team here when he is needed to be as he was, the first time Avengers were called to assemble. It features Andy Serkis' entry to the franchise too, and while it's brief, he manages to established a commanding presence in the movie. The film grants everybody the right amount of exposure to shine, letting both their inner fragilities and physical prowess speak volumes for who they are. Their imperfections claim pivotal share in their greatest undertaking—winning their very own internal battles so they could emerge able to save the world from the wrecking weights of annihilation.

Straightaway at the beginning, Age of Ultron throws our heroes into roaring action, drawing us immediately into a surfeit of explosive and visually-omnipotent action extravaganzas that allow every smashing, pounding, flash of beams, flight, and basically everything, assume near-impossible forms of eye-squashing spectacles. It is when all these heroes engage together in combat against their enemies, that the movie subjugates all those hungry eyes, and grasps total domination over the audience's attention, letting the awestruck reception hum along the visual drama as it extends its reach beyond imagination. It is also when all the death-defying sequences and breathtakingly choreographed action set-pieces, spin out to full throttle, that the underlying cause why this band of superheroes fight with their lives, becomes blindingly evident—humanity. This is what had put them into this circle, in the first place, and it's what they are now aiming to preserve even when they have to wrestle with death. Whedon has never deprived these characters of humanity, making each of them similar, albeit their much readily-perceived differences. This summons affection for these characters, which right away the film gathers, whenever it puts the narrative's soul into the spotlight.

AVENGERS: Age of Ultron is without fault, but too few and little that they're not even worth-noting. To be able to gather all these radical personas and bring their different worlds into one concrete universe, is already a colossal feat. Whedon proves to be capable of pushing the limits of the movie's accomplishments past that milestone, and the result is never less than monumental. The whole experience imparts an overwhelming sense of satisfaction, yet it also makes the audience hunger for more. Well, the movie lays ground-works and unleashes potential backdoors for the franchise's next chapters, and that makes everything that follows something to look forward to.

AVENGERS: AGE of ULTRON is visually enthralling as it is emotionally profound, a cinematic achievement soaring above the previously reached heights in the ever expanding universe of superhero movies. 9/10
  • The humor, angst and drama are remarkable for a superhero film. In fact, most will consider them remarkable for any type of movie. I can't think of a weak moment in the film, as it is strong from beginning to end.

Anyone doubting that this entire cast (new and old) couldn't work well together or that characters would be cheated out of screen time need not worry. EVERYONE gets to shine. Downey as well as Evans are Oscar caliber good in this movie. (Setting up what has to be an amazing next installment in "Civil War") All the performances are straight to the point perfect. Hulk is again perfect in his CG transformation and Spader's Ultron uses his wonderful voice and mannerisms to perfection. Each new character is exquisitely cast and the old school guard has never been better. That includes RDJ as Tony Stark. We all loved what we've seen before from him and this evolution of Stark is even more intriguing. Elizabeth Olsen gives one of the best new character portrayals in recent years. People are going to want to see a LOT more of her Scarlet Witch in the future. Also, Jeremy Renner is finally given Hawkeye material worthy of his abilities and worthy of the character itself. He truly does steal more than one scene and has some of the best one-liners imaginable.

This easily fulfilled and the exceeded all of my expectations. I can't wait to see where they branch the Avengers team and concept from this point forward. There are so many great possibilities. This really is everything anyone would want in a movie. It delivers everything I had hoped to see and quite a bit that I didn't even think possible.
    Can this film possibly "not" succeed? No. Even if it were a bomb (which it is most definitely not) tens of millions of fans would see it anyway. So it was a guaranteed hit. Nice work if you can get it.

Best line? "I support your avenging." (Mrs. Hawkeye)

Second Best line? "You get hurt. Hurt em back. You get killed. Walk it off." (CA)

Third Best? "Well I was born yesterday." (you know who)

Honorable mention? "Beep beep" (Natasha on her cycle, mimicking her horn, trying to warn pedestrians)

Why did Spader get the Ultron gig? Because of his incredible work in Blacklist. (See it)

What's the best part of this (somewhat long) movie? The back-and-forth between the characters, a Whedon trademark. And of course the action scenes. Possibly the best ever filmed.

What's the worst part? The 40 minute "dead zone" after the Bond-style opening, where the Avengers try to make like it's Happy Hour at the local bar.

Which actor consistently shines? Downey. He is the smartass each of secretly wants to hang out with.

Which actor suffers the most in group play? Thor. The gravitas of being a God gets lost in team work.

Name a massively over-exposed actor who finally got under-exposed? Sam Jackson.

What could we have lived without? "Explaining" to the audience why characters like Pepper Potts were "unavailable" for the story (or possibly too expensive even for a quick cameo)

What is Whedon's greatest enhancement to the Marvel backstory? The romance between Natasha and Hulk.

What is Whedon's strangest tweak? Killing Pietro. The boys at the X-Men franchise will not be happy.

Is this a better movie than AV1? No, but it is just as good. (It tries harder but has pacing issues).

Who wins at the end? The studio. And Joss Whedon who BOTH wrote and directed what could be the biggest money-maker in history. Somewhere in Hollywood, JJ Abrams is actually getting nervous.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED Jan 16 -- OK, so JJ deconstructed the original Star Wars script scene by scene (something no one else had ever bothered to do) and rebuilt it into the 2015 relaunch of Star Wars. And nailed it. The viewer experience, the pacing, is dead-on. And oh by the way produced the fastest film in history to hit 1.0 billion in ticket sales. So disregard the last line of the original review above. JJ is no longer nervous.
    It's quite an achievement to make a boring Superhero Movie so well done to all involved.

Remember the first average at best Avengers Movie? A baddie in control of the Tesseract uses it and an alien army to try and take over the planet. Whilst this is happening the Avengers are brought together where there are a few internal issues involving having their minds controlled &/or beating each other up, before joining forces to beat the alien threat.

Well....

This movie is about a baddie who was in control of the Tesseract which then becomes the catalyst for a new robot baddie and it's robot army trying to destroy the planet. This again creates a few internal issues involving the Avengers having their minds controlled &/or beating each other up, before joining forces to beat the robot threat.

It's just the same movie repackaged (again) which tries to be intelligent but comes across as dull.

Some of the Avengers presence have little or no no point in being in the movie (Hawkeye just being there for example to offer the others a weekend retreat to go to).

But as with the first movie and the upcoming Captain America: Civil War it seems as long as the movie is crammed full of as many Superheroes as possible and they all kick off at some point during the movie, then this is enough to keep an audience happy.

Stick with the X-Men at least they make an effort!
    ****NO Spoilers**** I went to see the latest installment in the Marvel canon of films last night at one of the UK midnight screenings.

My expectations for this movie were sky-high, but not only were those expectations met - they were blown clean out of the water.

Is it as good as 'The Avengers', arguably the best comic book movie of all time? It is...and it is so much more. It may be lacking the magic of seeing these characters assemble for the first time, but it makes up for that with many goose bump moments throughout.

Does the movie have flaws? Of course it does - how could a movie with this scale and this ambition possibly not have any? These flaws, however, are so minor (a couple of plot contrivances, some shaky character accents) compared to what Joss Whedon was able to achieve that anyone who focuses on them extensively is just nitpicking for the sake of it.

This is as close to perfect as a summer blockbuster movie can possibly get. You get a bit of everything: character development, great individual character moments, a rich and interesting plot with a great villain and the usual rich dollops of Whedon humor (yes, the movie is 'darker' than the first, but it is almost as funny even so). How he manages to balance so many screen presences so magnificently is beyond me, it comes off as an almost completely effortless master class in rapid-fire plotting and dialog. As in the first Avengers movie, everyone gets their moment in the spotlight and the characters that may have come up a little short in the first installment, most notably Hawkeye and Black Widow, get to shine especially in this iteration.

The action sequences are breathtakingly, mind-bogglingly well choreographed and directed and there are numerous shots that seem to leap from a comic book page. There are several moments where - if you feel any connection to these characters and their rich comic book history at all - you will feel the urge to leap from your seat and pump your fist in the air. There is so much to care for, so much to cheer for, so much to marvel at it is quite literally too much to fully appreciate in one viewing.

...and this is where we get to what (some) of the critics are griping about: Yes, the movie is long (personally, I could have sat there watching this spectacle another hour). Yes, it is crammed with content (characters, plot lines, setups for future movies) in every single frame - but never to an extent that you are taken out of the narrative. This movie will stand up fantastically to repeated viewings because there is so much to enjoy, so much to soak up and there are so many great moments to savor.

Finally, the stand-out character of this movie is a new arrival: The Vision. Paul Bettany delivers a perfectly balanced performance in this role and when his character soars through the air, golden cape and all, it is a joy to behold. This is truly a comic book come to life...and I can't wait to see where the story takes us next.

Boy, do the Russo brothers have a mountain to climb for the upcoming 'Infinity War' saga - this will be a tough act to follow.
  • loserformyself17 April 2015
    I just want to get to the point, this movie is outstanding. This will most likely be the biggest movie of 2015. This is a great movie for those enjoy who action, suspense, and awe worthy moments. This was unbelievably better then the first and I had my doubts but of course Marvel blew me away. I can not even think of one bad thing to say honestly, Marvel knows what to do and how do to do it. If you are a Marvel fan you need to see this movie. I will admit I was a bit upset when I found out Loki/ Tom Hiddleston would not be in this one but Ultorn delivered an amazing performance as well. Get your tickets and get your friends, family, or both because you are in for a huge surprise.
    This movie was a failure on many levels. There was a serious lack of story, the humor was very forced in an overabundance of one-liners, bad CGI in some places, and a very under-developed Villain. The movie focused a lot on the characters in the movie and developing them, but not even that much. We get a few tidbits about each, except Thor, Stark/Ironman, and Hulk/Banner. Thor was hardly in the movie, only shown on screen for a few minutes after leaving the team to basically setup the next movie and where the story is going (Infinity War), but is glossed over so quickly most people won't catch it, especially those who have no idea about story arcs in the comics. Ultron's reveal was absolutely perfect, it set him up as an intimidating and powerful villain, then when he gets his own mechanical body, he turns into a comedy act and does not look real because the CGI metal looks terrible, along with the stupid moving mouth when he speaks.

Every character in the movie was trying to be a comedian in the movie. The only moment that felt serious or dire was the reveal of Ultron (and then turned into a joke later). The ending of course has a big battle with all the Ultron bots, but seriously, why do they even have Thor in the close quarters fighting with them? His lightning could have fried most of them, then they have Thor not fight Ultron back just so Vision (Which they never called him by his name) could be seen holding Thor's hammer again and make a stupid remark about the balance of the hammer.

Stark/Ironman is basically having amnesia forgetting the events of Ironman 3. And then turns into a "mad scientist" with Banner to create Ultron, totally against his way of thinking after the events of Ironman 3. Ironman also does everything he knows the team will get mad at him for doing, but does it anyway without consulting them.

Black Widow is basically the Avengers "Mattress" in that she is now flirting with a 4th Avenger (1st was Ironman in Ironman 2, 2nd was Hawkeye in The Avengers, 3rd was Captain America in The Winter Soldier) and now the 4th is Bruce Banner/Hulk. She is a better character than that, but all she gets is flirting with everyone.

We are introduced to 2 other characters dubbed "The Twins" though they never give them names. Probably because of Fox owns the rights to X-Men, but their names are Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. Quicksilver dies, and of course, says a one-liner, and yet we feel nothing for his death as we never knew him......he is a 1- dimensional character. At least in X-Men Day of Future Past we get to know Quicksilver in there, and his special effects were a hell of a lot better.

This film was a catastrophe, and should not be praised in anyway.
  • Well, the superhero movies have sucked their last dollar out of me. I don't like watching movies just to see things blown up. The writers and director are so much into showing off their destructive action sequences that they didn't pause to consider whether soneone would actually give an F. Superthin plot. The occasional quip grom Ultron or an Avenger gets old quick with nothing else to support it. We're clearly dealing with high school humor here. I really like the scene where the earth is caving in, thousands of people obviously meeting gruesome deaths, and yet a few Avengers take the time to save one woman in a falling vehicle...NOT.
  • Let's just get straight to point here, Avengers Age of Ultron is the best marvel movie to date. You can make a strong argument for it being the best superhero movie of all time. Yes it's really that good.

The plot line was very intriguing. It was far from the cliché superhero story. The script was funny and very witty. Joss Whedon did a wonderful job, it's a shame that he won't be directing the next 2 avengers films. The only upside is that he will be still there as a producer for phase 3 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This story really sets up phase 3 and one of the most anticipated movies of 2016, Captain America: Civil War. My one regret in terms of the story is that it could be slightly longer, even though the entire film ran smoothly. I would have still liked to see more of the movie, I guess we will have to wait for the DVD release to see some extra scenes.

All the actors, unsurprisingly, played their roles superbly. Robert Downey jr again played the genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist, which we all love. This performance just adds to the argument that he is Iron Man. Chris Evan always brings a sense of honesty and heart to the role of Captain America. Scarlet Johansson again showed us that a male isn't the only one who can be a badass that young boys look up to. Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Samuel L Jackson, Jeremy Renner, Cobie Smulders, Don Cheadle and Anthony Mackie all reprised their roles wonderfully and each one of them added an extra dimension to their character. The newcomers Thomas Kretschmann, Andy Serkis, Elizabeth Olsen and Aaron Taylor-Johnson were all great additions to the already extremely talented and lively cast. The newcomer that really gave the strongest performance was clearly James Spader. His intimidating robotic voice really brought the character to life and added sense of realism, in an otherwise unbelievable character. He brought our future fears (from terminator) of an AI trying to wipe out humanity. Marvel are not known for their memorable super villains, in fact they're known for the opposite of this, but this villain is up there with Loki, Ultron is one of the more terrifying and surprisingly relatable/understandable villains in the MCU. However Paul Bettany's performance as the vision stole the show. He took the spotlight for every scene that he was in and I can't wait to see him again. The cast really gel well as a unit and you'll be thinking that these actors grew up with each other, after you've seen the movie. The chemistry between everyone holds the film together.

The action in the movie, let's just make this quick, was mind blowing. For anyone who's seen the trailers, you will already know that the action shown was amazing. For any of you that think that they've showed too much or every action piece, from the movie, in the trailers, you couldn't be more wrong. When you watch the movie you'll notice that the action scenes are orchestrated beautifully and that every character has upped their game since the last time we saw them on screen, especially Captain America. This is a big budget movie and this is clearly shown in the stunts and the action sequences. The movie was shot all over the world this time and that helps to show that these group of people don't just fight for one nation but the world. The locations were beautiful and i will always prefer a real natural set over a green screen.

This movie was a fantastic treat to watch and it's really a shame that this movie wasn't longer, so that we could all enjoy it for 20-30 minutes more. I had high expectations coming into the theatre and when I left, I was more than satisfied. This movie will be enjoyed by people of all ages, it's got cool action for the kids and the plot is more than interesting enough to hold the attention of the adults. This movie delivers on all levels and can be considered as one of the best, if not the best movie of all time. It's clearly the best movie in the past few years. P.S. Stay for after the movie ends (mid-credits) for a treat for phase 3.

I will be uploading a video review to this movie soon. Please subscribe to my channel and watch the videos already posted. Thank you for your time! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQzQVmzrHi_IzaxQ5jH9Cig/videos Uploaded the review now!! Please watch!!

• The Avengers: Age of Ultron is one of the best movie I've ever watched(not biased). I am a Marvel fan that also like DC movies and series, but in my opinion I think DC makes good TV series on small screens however I think Marvel makes great movies on big screens. The Avengers: Age of Ultron is the best superhero film in my opinion because of the huge surprises in the movie and the incredibly thrilling storyline from the comics, the directors of the movie did change the storyline a bit though, it's not like a copy and paste storyline from the comic book. Therefore, this is the best superhero film of all time in my opinion.
  • I have no idea why I'm the only one among my group of friends who felt this movie doesn't deserve a thumb-up. I yawned all the way till the end, fell asleep for a couple of minutes.

The story is seems to be forcedly connected. I know they are all relevant but the bind of the connection is not that strong. it's like a boring bed time story. Simply jumping from one to another without bothering to develop, even just scratching the surface, personality or in depth of the characters.

The chemistry buildup was not cultivated. Lack of chemistry or connection between the actors. Witty little chitchat doesn't do enough favor to cover the obvious detached actors to their character.

Trying very hard to be impressive; the battling, the kicking, the punching, the heroes and the lines.

All and all,a lazy, superficial gimmicks.
  • Tony Stark wants to invent something that benefits mankind but instead turns out to be the one responsible for the creation of this dangerous self thinking robot, Ultron. The Avengers must assemble once again to fight this menace that wants to kill all the humans on this planet. But Ultron is powerful and the way he is presented makes you wonder how our heroes can defeat him. Just you wait and see...

What I liked best about Age of Ultron was the fact that all our favorite heroes get equal screen time to show of what they can do. Although the action scenes are great (Iron Man in the Hulkbuster versus Hulk!) the thing that really makes this movie work is the interaction between all the people involved. Stark and Banner, Banner and Black Widow, Hawkeye and Black Widow, Thor and Captain America... like in real life you can see with whom each of them get along best. It's also nice to see that Hawkeye gets a lot of screen time. He even gets the most interesting background story of the bunch. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch make a great addition to the team (sort of) and there are a lot more cameos in the movie (although I don't think anybody spotted Lou Ferrigno!).

The movie runs about two and a half hours and that's pretty long. It could have been a little bit shorter, but overall I didn't mind. With great action scenes (pay attention to the opening action sequence in which he introduces the Avengers in one mighty shot!), nice humor, a lot of cameos and a satisfying finale writer/director Joss Whedon has everything under control and that pays of.

This year (2015) The Avengers Age of Ultron will shatter all box office records and that will be a fitting reward for giving most Marvel fans and 'normal' moviegoers this big treat. Even Pixar slipped (with Cars 2 and Brave) so everybody's waiting for Marvel to produce a real stinker. Although that day may come, The Avengers part 2 is not the movie that will be responsible for that!

8,5 / 10