SPOILER: This movie was just magical.

The Force has become like Harry Potter magic, with a new spell every day or so.

Rey is just magical. With practically training whatsoever she can take on Luke and Kylo and win.

Snoke is magical. He appeared out of nowhere in The Force Awakens and in The Last Jedi has such fantastic Force powers (never before seen in the entire Star Wars Universe) and yet can't tell when his protege is scheming to slice him in two (but could fell his every throught earlier, and even manipulate him and Rey's thoughts and get them to intergalactically Skype each other and even send water through space).

Luke is magical. He can magically project himself light years away and even bring solid things (the lucky dice) with him. Then dies magically for no apparent reason.

Yoda is magical. His Force-ghost actually has more Force powers than when he was alive! Calling down lightning from the sky??? Heck, why don't the Jedi just do that when fighting on Tattooine or whatever? And if Force-ghosts still have Force powers why not the whole gang of Anakin, Ben and Yoda take on Snoke?

Rose is magical. She appears out of nowhere and just happens to go along with Finn on a completely unnecessary mission to find a code breaker, and find not one but TWO code breakers, one of which is in the SAME CELL as they are. I mean, is that magical or what?

Leia is magical. Previously in 7 movies only having the barest abilities in the Force, she now can survive in space for quite a long time and even open her eyes without getting them immediately frozen, and Force-Mary Poppins herself back to the space ship. Magical!

I could go on and on. The biggest problem with The Last Jedi is that it's one shameless Deus Ex Machina after another. And don't even get me started on the stupid feminist nonsense, the inane attempt at comedy, the stupid characters who go nowhere in their characterisation, the stupid casino subplot, the stupid "saving" of Finn who wanted to sacrifice himself by Rose who magically now has feeling for him and both of them magically survive without getting shot at by the entire First Order army. Oops, I did go on and on.

If you make a movie, you need to make sure your movie stays in the universe it came from. Not invent new rules, new powers, new super villains, new behaviours from old characters, etc. out of bloody nowhere.
    This didn't feel like Star Wars. Now, I know people said that after viewing The Phantom Menace, but the prequels, despite their flaws, delivered a picture of a larger and more complex galaxy than the one we were introduced to in the original trilogy. The prequel characters were poorly written, scene direction felt off at times, Jar Jar existed, but at the end of the day I'll take the prequels over the new Disney films because they painted a universe. They made me want to see more Star Wars, and I appreciated the original trilogy's story arc even more after watching them.

The Last Jedi did the complete opposite. It killed my interest in the Star Wars universe because there seems to be nothing left to care about. The Resistance is just the Rebels. The First Order is just the Empire. No end is in sight. Rey is perfect already. Snoke is dead and no one cared enough to even explain his existence in the first place. The original trilogy might as well just have never happened. We've had three death stars. No stable political structure seems to be possible in the galaxy, and if it were we wouldn't visit it in the films. For all we know the conflict could be taking place in one tiny sector of the galaxy with the rest of the galaxy completely out of the loop. Sure, some people in a space casino make money off selling weapons and a slave kid has a Rebellion ring now, but that's not enough to establish why I should care about the story anymore. "They blow you up today, you blow them up tomorrow."

The humor was cringe-worthy. Even the characters don't care. Poe's prank-call at the beginning dissolved any anxiety we might feel about his character right out the gate. Star Wars doesn't have to take itself seriously 100% of the time, but its characters should feel like they're fighting real battles. I don't even want to talk about the casino scenes. Disney has no right to lecture us on capitalism.

Much of the movie was just scenes lifted from The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, cut-and-pasted around in a different order as if we couldn't figure that out. I sense a tone of disrespect for viewers' intelligence. Additionally, it is deeply disturbing to me to see critics give this movie such a high rating and then see news outlets publish articles questioning how seriously we should take the backlash. It is not a flaw in the ratings system. Sure, casual and young viewers will enjoy. But the backlash is real, and it's not all crusty old fanboys nostalgic about the good ol' days and complaining about political agendas (not that the fanboys always have illegitimate arguments). I'm a twenty-two year old woman and I was very disappointed.

Star Wars is for everyone. That should include fans, and people who love good stories.
    I didn't hate TLJ, but even if I completely ignore all the (among many fans) controversial choices Rian Johnson made with regards to his treatement of Star Wars' lore and characters, I still have a great number of qualms with the film in terms of its storytelling (sorry, this is going to be rather long):

PACING: Now that was probably my biggest issue with the film. Apart from the opening battle, the film has very little forward momentum for nearly two thirds of its running time. After the action-heavy beginning, the plot gets tangled in 3 separate storylines which unfold simultaneously. My (perhaps personal) problem was that I found 2 of those neither emotionally involving nor thrilling: the Finn/Rose subplot about finding the code-breaker on the "Casino Planet" Canto Bight as well as the Poe/Holdo storyline about the resistance' messy escape from the First Order and the universe's most sluggish space chase.

But the one story I was ready to get fully invested in - you know: the one about Rey and Luke on the island (and Kylo via Force-Skype) - not only offers very little in terms of action and visual excitement, it also never really gets the time to breathe: because the overall narrative requires the film to cut back and forth between it and the other two evolving story threads. The result of that narrative structure is 90 minutes of scenes with Rey and Luke (and a little Kylo) on a dreary, grey island that beg to resonate emotionally but get blunted each time by the film's need to cut to the (for me) somewhat uninvolving action in Finn's and Poe's part of the universe. And their two storylines lose all sense of urgency because they keep getting interrupted by the scenes on the island with Rey and Luke - which, to make matters worse, develop over several days in the film while Finn's and Poe's stories unfold over a couple of hours.

Due to that uneven structure we end up with a two-and-a-half-hour movie where the most crucial scenes of the story never get enough room to breathe and even feel rushed. It's only once all three storylines start coming together during the last third of the film that the film's pacing really works for me. But getting there often feels like a chore (and I'm really not sure a Star Wars film should feel like work).

ODD CHARACTER CHOICES: What is the purpose of having Leia in a coma for the better part of the film? Don't tell me this is all set up so Kylo thinks she's dead: she's connected to the Force, and he's about as plugged into the Force as one can be; if established Star Wars lore tells us anything, it's that Kylo would instantly feel it if his mother died (now that's something even a casual fan such as myself knows). So why not use Leia more? Why introduce a completely new character in Laura Dern's Admiral Holdo, if she essentially just functions as a stand-in for Leia?

Poe Dameron's whole arc in the film is about him learning the terrible human cost for stupid, vain heroism, and it's with Leia that he clashes, after he's sacrificed half the resistance' fleet in order to take out a single Dreadnought during the film's opening battle. And as soon as Leia's in a coma, almost the exact same conflict continues with Holdo. Nothing against Admiral Holdo, but it's hard to get invested in her character, because we only just met her; from a storytelling point of view, to make Poe's arc really resonate and raise the stakes for him (and the audience), it would make much more sense if he rebelled against Leia. Wasting her in a coma instead seems utterly pointless.

BIG MOMENTS: Unlike its immediate predecessor, TLJ shuns familiar formula. It's not all forward momentum, it's not all action - but unfortunately, it fails to provide the audience with an emotionally involving story instead. It may take characters in unexpected directions, but most of those new directions turn out to be somewhat... rather "mature" choices in terms of storytelling instead of exciting ones? Yes, there are several grand moments in the film that work great on an intellectual level, but they fail to reach us on a gut level. Whenever the film tries to build up to a big emotional moment, that moment ends up feeling, well, not very big at all - which naturally could again be a very deliberate choice by the director to subvert the formula, but to what end? Surely, the subversion itself can't be his main goal?

For example, take the scene where Rey learns from Kylo that her parents were nobodies and that they're long dead. The problem of that scene is not the reveal itself: it's the scene's execution. It's a huge reveal for Rey, and it should have more weight. It could - and probably should - be the most emotional moment in the film; a heart-felt gut-punch to our heroine, but instead it's just: *fighting* - "Your parents were nobodies, and they're dead." - "Yes, I feel it too." - *fighting continues*. I just don't get why such an important moment is treated so fleetingly.

In contrast, look how Lawrence Kasdan and J.J. Abrams staged The Force Awaken's most emotional scene: Han Solo's death at the hands of his own, terribly conflicted son. Now you can say about the film itself what you want, but that scene had a huge emotional impact on the viewer. It had weight. Imagine that scene had just happened during a fight, in a heated moment, only for the narrative to proceed without giving it any room? These are storytelling choices by Rian Johnson that don't do the movie any favors.

I would have been ready to applaud the director's (and/or Disney's) decision to try something different after TFA, but I lament this failure to develop emotional gravitas - and the film's unwillingness to ever raise the stakes for its lead characters. Until the very end, I never feel like any of the protagonists are in real danger. Nor are they ever confronted with the shocking consequences of their reckless actions on a personal level; Finn and Poe's great ideas and plans directly lead to the senseless deaths of dozens, if not hundreds of people - but those casualties are just numbers; they're just exploding spaceships we witness from afar; our heroes (and we as an audience) are never forced to feel the full weight of their loss.

As a consequence, there's just nothing there to make this war's terrible cost really resonate with us. This film needs a heartfelt punch to the gut; I'm all for challenging the protagonists morally and give them intellectually satisfying arcs, but the resulting storylines should still be exciting enough to make your heart pound. And I know I can only speak for myself, but my heartbeat hardly ever accelerated throughout its entire two-and-a-half-hour running time - if at all.

TLJ'S ISSUES AS A DIRECT SEQUEL: TFA teased a boatload of things to come, and while I'm theoretically on board with many of the unexpected directions Rian Johnson took these characters to in TLJ, I am very confused by his decision to ignore so many of the plot threads that were set up by Lawrence Kasdan and J.J. Abrams in TFA. Because due to that unorthodox approach, watching those two films back to back is a jarringly weird experience. Regardless how one feels about TFA, not even bothering to acknowledge what came before isn't just strange - it's almost offending to the many people who were fully invested in its mysteries and could hardly wait for those promised reveals.

And don't tell me they have only themselves and J.J. Abrams to blame; no - they had every right to have those expectations: because TLJ IS the direct sequel to TFA. In the same sense that BACK TO THE FUTURE II was the direct sequel to BACK TO THE FUTURE: the kind of sequel that continues only seconds after the first film ends, resulting in one unbroken storyline developing over two films. And of course the director can go into unexpected directions in the sequel - hell: as an audience we want him to. In fact, that IS part of our expectation and one of the reasons we go to the movies (and BTTF II did it brilliantly) - but pretending like important plot points and huge moments in the previous film simply didn't matter or didn't even happen comes dangerously close to playing the audience for fools.

Not that an artist (or a huge conglomerate) shouldn't have the creative licence to do that - but if you go down that road don't act surprised about the inevitable backlash. And I honestly don't get why going into new directions had to result in such an uneven transition from the first film to the second; the way I see it, even a couple of lines of dialog from characters like Luke, Snoke or Kylo-Ren would have been enough to tie some of the most prominent lose ends up or at least not just leave them dangling in the air like this. I mean, I get that Johnson doesn't want us to be interested in Snoke's story (and a whole bunch of other things that were made to feel important in TFA) because HE isn't interested in it. But as a writer he could get that point across and still address the issue (because the previous film told the audience to BE interested in it) - just to then quickly resolve it in an offhanded manner and take the story where he wants it to go.

SUMMARY: The Last Jedi is a structurally uneven and often frustrating film that almost always refuses to give its heroes - and the audience - satisfaction. It is a film that over large stretches of its running time is so concerned with subverting the formula and teaching lessons about the importance of failure, that it fails to realize how watching your heroes fail over two and a half hours may be unexpected, but frankly - it's also a bit tiring.

It may have been a gutsy and very unexpected move by Johnson to throw out most of the mysteries teased in TFA, but the question only audiences - and time - can answer is whether what he offers instead is a worthy replacement.

Favorite films: IMDb.com/list/mkjOKvqlSBs/

Lesser-Known Masterpieces: imdb.com/list/ls070242495/

Favorite TV-Shows reviewed: imdb.com/list/ls075552387/
  • lor-4477210 May 2018
    No sense of danger, no tension, no interest and the jokes oh my god the wisecracks and the one-liners. What was that?? The actors are terrible, the new emperor was obviously a moron and his guards were beyond useless obviously too. When the fight breaks out around his throne not for one moment anyone believes the outcome is in doubt. It looked like a weak dance choreography. I guess I am tired of Disney's movie and that they release one a week. I never liked jokes and humour anyway.
    I had relatively high expectations of the Episode VIII. Unfortunately, "The Last Jedi" has so many plot holes, inconsistencies, ripoffs from previous movies, annoyingly flat and underdeveloped characters and dialogs, that it deserves many bad reviews that it receives from the public. It could have been so much better...

PLOT HOLES and THINGS THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE - examples: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Vice Admiral Holdo, for no reason at all, doesn't inform Poe and other members of the Resistance about the planet Crait and the escape plan. This creates Poe's unnecessary mutiny, just to fill the movie with some unneeded drama and to make a cheap "twist" when we realize what the Leia's and Holdo's plan is.

• BB-8 overpowers and ties 3 prison guards armed with blasters, and muffles their mouths... ALONE.

• Not enough convincing reasons are shown to explain Skywalker's decision to abandon his sister, friends, whole Republic and Resistance, even if they all get killed during his exile. That decision, and the decision to kill Ben, is not in line with Luke's character from the previous movies.

• Why Luke made a map which shows his location, and then inserted a map piece in R2 and gave a map piece to Lor San Tekka, if he didn't want to be found? The whole story about "The map to Skywalker" from Episode VII is now illogical...

• Not even ONE information about Snoke's background, long-term plans, source of his power, etc.? Unbelievable how they wasted that character....

• Water ends up on Kylo's glove after "Force connection" talk. That looked completely out of touch with how the Force works in the previous movies. The same problem is present in the scene with Yoda's Force ghost, when he summons real lightning from the sky and therefore directly influences events in the real world (and then he laughs about that like a lunatic).

• Why all armies in the galaxy don't use "hyperspace torpedoes" to ram spaceship fleets of the enemy, like Holdo did with the Resistance's spaceship, if that is so effective tactic?

• Also, why Resistance's ship commanders have to stay and die on their ships when all fuel is spent? We are shown that a ship without fuel is useless in any case, and so their death is also useless...

• Leia survives WITHOUT A SCAR massive explosion that killed everybody else on the ship's bridge, and she also survives vacuum of space (Jedi are not immortal, and without a space suit a Jedi / human would not survive for more than 50 or 60 seconds in space). Then she somehow moves herself through space back to the ship, while her dress is waving like the wind is blowing in space.

• Luke gives Han's golden cubes (dice) to Leia, knowing they have great emotional value to her, although he is aware that the cubes will vanish in about 20 minutes, because they are also "Force projection". That was a very cruel thing to do (and something that Luke wouldn't done)... A few minutes later Leia is leaving cubes behind when she escapes from the base, although our logic tells us that she would keep them.

• By the way, Leia and Kilo were able to hold the dice in their hands. How? Han's golden cubes were "Force projection", and Luke showed us while he was "fighting" Kilo that Force projection is like a Force ghost - it could not be touched or held.

• BB-8 manages to disable guards by shooting a pile of golden coins at them. The BB-8 has special compartment for storing coins, and special device for shooting them? And so much coins were inserted in him in the casino? And coins are enough to disable the guards? Silly...

• BB-8 is piloting AT-ST walker alone, AND he is firing its cannons with great precision at the same time. 4 hands were needed for that in the "Return of the Jedi"...

• Finn and Rose parked their spaceship on the beach of the casino planet, where it was easily seen and reported to the police, although they came there on a secret mission and should have landed on some hidden spot. That doesn't make sense...

• Finn and Rose enter the casino dressed in their usual clothes, although they don't want to draw attention to themselves. That was so naive and stupid... Would not be a better idea if they picked something to wear similar to those rich people around them? Rose is wearing dirty mechanic clothes when they enter the casino...

• Finn and Rose are releasing "space horses" from the stable, but not the children-slaves.

• Finn and Rose are trying to escape from the casino planet as soon as possible by riding "space horses", although they still didn't completed their mission (they didn't enlisted help from a codebreaker). Why? As far as they know, the fate of the Resistance depends on finding the codebraker, but they just flee...

• On the planet Crait, Rose and Finn have relaxed, slow romantic scene and they share a kiss, while army of gigantic AT-ATs in front of them are firing at anything that moves, and First Order is just about to kill all their friends. Also, their "love story" was totally unnecessary and unconvincing.

• How is Finn (who is dragging Rose's body) able to cross the great distance back to the Rebel base after that, without being attacked?

• Kilo Ren is not suspicious when Luke holds the same lightsabre on the planet Crait as the one which was split in half shortly before that, when Kylo was confronting Rey.

• Rey falls into a body of water on Ahch-To and swims easily to the shore. She has spent her entire life on a desert planet. When did she learn to swim?

• Chewie, R2-D2 and C-3PO do almost nothing during the movie, they are there only because the movie should "feel" like a Star Wars movie for the older fans.

• Too much unnecessary jokes and humor, and too much Porgs - just to please kids who will buy Star Wars toys later...

• Poe's phone-prank at the beginning of the movie was cringe-worthy. That was the first sign for me that this movie will not be so great as I hoped it would be.

• Phasma was again completely wasted character, without any purpose in the plot (other than to boost sales of the action figure).

RIPOFFS FROM THE ORIGINAL SAGA - 3 examples: -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Taken from "The Empire strikes back": Surface battle on the remote white planet, complete with AT-AT walkers, low flying rebel fighters, secret rebel base hidden under the surface, trenches, rebel cannons, etc. (Battle of Hoth)

• Taken from "Return of the Jedi": Kylo (Vader) brings Rey (Luke) to the Snoke (Emperor), while Rey (Luke) is hoping that Kylo (Vader) can be turned from the Dark Side. Snoke (Emperor) shows Rey (Luke) how the Rebel fleet is destroyed while they speak. Snoke (Emperor) has Rey's (Luke's) lightsabre beside him, which Rey (Luke) wants to get by using the Force. Many parts of the dialogue are almost the same.

• Taken from "Return of the Jedi": Millennium Falcon is chased by TIE-Fighters through the mines of mineral planet Crait - that scene is almost exact copy of the chase through the Death Star in the Return of the Jedi, where we also had TIE-Fighters chasing Falcon through similar tight spaces and obstacles (they just painted them red in this movie).

There are many more reasons why this movie is a failure... If you go to see "The Last Jedi", turn off your brain, banish all hopes, and just enjoy beautiful cinematography. At least they have done that right.
    The Last Jedi is obsessed with the fallacious idea that in order to move forward you have to destroy everything that came before. It is as if someone walked into the Louvre and said "you guys need to stop holding onto the past," and then threw a torch down, cackling as hundreds of years of irreplaceable works of art burned to the ground, and then, standing triumphantly on the ashes, drew a smiley face.

In order to make room for the new characters to shine, Rian Johnson obliterates the character of Luke Skywalker to the point that Hamill himself couldn't recognize him; in the Original Trilogy Luke Skywalker transforms from a whiny farm boy into a hero who proclaims "I am a Jedi, like my father before me" and manages to do what both Yoda and Obi-Wan thought impossible: bring Darth Vader back to the light. In this film, Luke is tempted to murder his own nephew before he even did anything wrong simply because there is a chance he may turn to the dark side, but the worst thing is that after that rather than attempt to fix his mistake he falls into a pit of despair and hides on an island as his friends are slowly wiped out by the First Order. When Rey arrives he refuses to train her or help the resistance in any way (despite having made a map to his location in the previous film), until a strange out of character pyromaniac Yoda force ghost appears and tells him Rey is perfect already and also the extremely cliched line that "the greatest teacher, failure is." Luke is not the only wasted character from the Original Trilogy either: Chewbacca serves as nothing more than comic relief and Leia is incapacitated for most of the film after a strange Mary Poppins-esque stroll through outer space. Admiral Ackbar is killed so unceremoniously you barely even notice he dies.

The usage of the force in this film is wildly inconsistent with the previous films as well. First of all, force ghosts never were able to alter physical reality, yet in this film Yoda is able to bring lightning down from the sky, leading us to the question of why the force ghosts haven't just destroyed Snoke from their impenetrable positions in the netherworld. Leia is able to fly through outer space, and Snoke can force push people from across vast distances. Rey is able to lift multiple tons of boulders with apparent ease despite how difficult it was for Luke to make a single X-Wing in the Empire Strikes Back even budge. The force projection that Luke does at the end is actually interesting, but for some inexplicable reason they decide to make it kill him.

From a critical standpoint, the film is an incoherent mess. There is little to no character development and the plot is little more than a long, drawn out series of "gotcha" moments; we are treated like dogs, as Rian Johnson dangles delicious treats above us before rapidly yanking them away. In the climax of The Force Awakens Rey finds Luke and extends his lightsaber, but in The Last Jedi Luke merely throws the lightsaber over his shoulder. Leia is sucked into outer space, only to magically force fly back to safety. Luke agrees to train Rey, but then quits after only one pathetic training session. Finn is about to heroically save what's left of the resistance, but - surprise! - he is saved at the last minute by his awkward love interest. Snoke is the most powerful sith in any Star Wars movie ever, but is anticlimactically killed by a cheap trick. The entire first half of the movie leads us to believe Kylo Ren and Rey will join forces, but after Kylo Ren saves Rey - surprise! - they're not going to work together: Kylo Ren will remain the stereotypical bad guy and Rey the infallible heroine. Rian Johnson had a chance to actually do something original and daring in this respect, but instead chose to take the safe route.

The writing in this film is atrocious. Several lines are lifted verbatim from the Original Trilogy. The humor is out of place, overused, and sounds like they took the words of a heckler writing in the margins and thought they should actually put it in the movie (Star Wars meets Rocky Horror Picture Show). We are distracted by pointless subplots that are of no consequence. The new characters have no personality and sound like modern day buffoons who were simply transplanted into the Star Wars universe. There is so much wrong with it that you really just have to see it for yourself, although I would recommend not paying money for it.

In conclusion, The Last Jedi is the worst Star Wars movie ever made. It is heretical. It is the anti-Star Wars. It stinks.
  • It sucked. It was boring, it was contrived, it was cheaply done and the characters made zero sense. All the coincidences and stupid behavior almost put me to sleep. If there is any learning that can happen in this world it will be the end of sequels forever and ever.
  • They are making too many movies, I think. The story is uninteresting, the acting is somehow weak. It seems a little unsure or perhaps the actors are reacting to a poor script. I have watched all the new Star Wars so far and I don't feel like watching anymore because to be honest with myself they are uninteresting. There are better movies out there or I can just do other stuff.
  • After this galactic turkey I know how Disney can save face. In Episode IX (which we will stream for free instead of paying a cent to Disney) Luke wakes up from a bad dream in a sweat. He is waking up from a nightmare and look around. He looks around for a cup of jasmine tea. The emo kid, chubby Asian and mary sue were just dreams. A dark side vision to torment him. In reality they do not exist however. Now back to hope, integrity, action, story and STAR WARS!!
  • Just when you told things cannot get anymore cheesy and stupid here comes Rian to make Jar Jar Rip Off look good. Well nothing will rescue Episode VII but this episode is truly boring and sleep inducing.

Oh they have a tracking device and they are taking a risk letting the space ship go.... hmmm... where have I seen that before?? And they need to resurrect the old characters from the grave via CGI in order to put together a film. Clearly, the new joke actors and actresses cannot cut it. Here is the truth: neither can Disney.

Boycott Episode IX or be a loser

PS: can you believe Disney spread a rumor that Russians don't like this film?? If so, that makes Disney Russians to the entire Star Wars universe.
  • alibazargan4 April 2018
    I am so sorry that for the first time in my life, I walked out of a Star Wars movie. This was so disappointing. As a young father, every moment I spend outside of the house without my kid has to be justified, and after about an hour of this garbage, I could not suppress my conscience anymore, and walked out to go home and spend more time with my kid. This piece of garbage had no character development, horrible edits, basically ruined Luke Skywalker's character and turned him into a hobo. I am so frustrated right now. They've ruined Star Wars.
  • I just don't get it. This film was cheap. Look around and there is no set design. There was nothing in any room. Nothing on the walls. no screens. It was stupid.

Di$ney thinks Star Wars is like a Marvel super power. Yes, the force is now a super power with all the stupid jokes and one-liners that corrupted Thor, Iron Man, et cetra.
    Terrible movie. So many fake reviews.

Why couldn't we see just how much knowledge and power Luke and Snoke had. They had so much mystery and potential and it was wasted!!!

Rey was a better pilot than Han. She's a better force user than Luke. She understands droids and Wookiees and can use force mind tricks... and she had no training. She made it into her 20's without doing things related to the force and now she can lift a mountain side?!

If you think about it, Luke didnt do ANYTHING the entire time. I kept waiting for something that the other movies had. Something amazing that would bring you back to the theater again and again. This movie had a few scenes that were decent: Kylo and Rey vs the guards maybe... The slow speed chase and the Finn and Rose plot line was pointless! A waste of screen time. I could write so much more, but others have covered it. I want to give it half a star out of 100 but this will suffice.

Oh, and a last thought: Walking out of the theater, I felt an emptiness. I had never felt that after any Star Wars movie. Is that what you were going for Mr. Johnson?
  • This Film, was so off in so many ways, as a Star Wars movie Fan (not books) you will wonder what they were smoking. You will also feel insulted that the Characters you once knew are bent out of shape in odd ways. If you cant sit thourgh it twice you will literally start mothing "why" at loads of scenes.

1 Its not star wars, or at least the same star wars we know. Luke Skywalker was written by someone who has never watched the films.

2 Humor is awfully forced, Marvel does it good. Dont try and copy, it does not suit the tone of the film. So many times you will be taken out of the escapisim of the film and go what the hell was that?!

3 Plot holes everywhere. The ending screams WHY THE HELL DIDNT YOU DO THAT IN THE FIRST PALCE!

4 Rey... UTTER MARY SUE. Literally the best jedi the universe with literally no training. Its story breaking and annoying to watch. In the end you will dislike the character, because its like rubbing sandpaper on your brain.

If you want a real world view and not critics that have spammed the love button on this film, you need to head to rotten tomatoes to see that its in the 40-49% bracket with real viewers. Its not any where near its current IMDB rating. If i were nice i'd give it a 5 out of 10, simply due to its polish.

It certinly is less than average as a film the only thing keeping it near average is its excellent sound and visuals. Also adam Driver is excellent, shame the film around it makles no sense. It has the Lucas arts polish thats for sure.

The rest of it is a stinking mess, insultingly so. As a result I will literally never pay to watch another Star wars universe film until Rhian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy are sacked.

Ill vote with my money, where it hurts.
  • Bored actors playing boring characters on boring planets amble their way through a boring script, written by bored Disney accountants, sprinkled with boring CGI. A truly appalling piece of film-making.
    I just felt like the story was thrown together as they went, because it is some of the laziest and Deus Ex Machina reliant work I have ever watched. I personally didn't watch any fan Theories and just went opening night to be entertained by another Star Wars movie. Instead Rian Johnson serves up a good lesson that quantity is not always quality.

There were multiple new characters that had to share the screen that in essence the character development suffered greatly. Phasma was wasted again, Ackbar was killed off screen as an oh by the way moment, and Holdo was little more than a plot device to do the light speed suicide. It was never explained why she stayed on the cruiser, since the shuttle escape was a secret. (They didn't know yet they had been betrayed). In the second act when we keep shifting between the 4 concurrent plots I found myself thinking "don't swipe back to Rose and FInn please" because it was the least interesting plot line and it felt like Canto Blight only served to put some aliens into the movie to remind us we are watching a Star Wars movie.

I enjoyed three moments in the film in total, and if I am being honest and the person next to me fell asleep in the middle and started snoring during the slow space chase scenes. The story failed to draw me in and entertain me the way The Force Awakens and Rogue One did. I just shook my head at the end, and felt meh about the entry. The plot and character development were just to hackneyed. think the theme of failure that was repeated to death, sums up what I felt about this entry in the franchise.
  • But That Does not Say Much.

Disney has done lasting damage to Star Wars. It is game over because the characters are unexplained and magical, they have everything happen way too easily and any storyline development can simply occur due to some magical power. Yoda and Kenobi were clear they cannot interfere after death. Guess again... !?!?!
  • Came out having watched a big boned oriental chick in space instead. Why do they think I will give them any more of my money? I see orientals like that at the spa every time and never pick them.
  • Finn was terrible, Rey was terrible. They even made Yoda terrible. What's going on here, are Disney trying to kill the Star Wars Universe? The jokes were so atrocious, and actually managed to single-handedly break the fourth wall. This is supposed to a be about characters in a galaxy far, far away, not people who live in 2018 on planet Earth. So bad it makes me miss Jar Jar Binks.
    After seeing the unbelievable rating of this movie, I have never felt further removed from the average Star Wars fan.

I wasn't a fan of The Force Awakens, feeling it was derivative of previous Star Wars movies. But, in spite of my distaste for the movie, I understood what there was that people liked about it. It was nostalgic to see old faces. Rey, Finn, BB8 and Po were each likeable characters that I felt worthy of leading future movies. The action and effects were excellent. There were hints that we were going to see more with the force in future movies. Most of all there was promise. Therefore, yes, I get how people can see that movie in a different light to how I see it.

But this? I just don't get it.

The Last Jedi was so tedious that were it not a Star Wars movie, I would have walked out of the cinema within an hour. I'm not talking about a slow burn here, I speak of unrelenting tedium and mediocrity. There are fundamental problems at the story level that made it impossible to get hooked by this movie and should have been fixed long before it went into production. The pace was glacial, and when things finally happened, they were anticlimactic at best.

Talking of fundamental problems at pre-production levels, why don't we talk about the script. Not only is the story underdeveloped and poorly plotted, but the dialogue is attrocious. When it's not being cheesy and cringe worthy, it is more wooden and unbelievable than even what we saw in the prequel movies. There was cheese in the original trilogy dialogue, but it was earned off the back of powerful characters, great performances and other genuinely inspired lines.

Being as there are such strong problems with the story and script then, it is hard to hold the actors at fault for the lack lustre performances in this movie. All of the acting fell flat in The Last Jedi. None of the emotion (what litlte there was) felt real to me, and as such I just didn't feel any steaks to get me hooked.

*** Now we move into serious spoiler territory... you've been warned. ***

I am not an editor, but even I could easily cut a third off this movie with a single paragraph. If when Po first confronted the admiral about her plan she had simply explained it, Finn's entire storyline could have been cut from the movie and they would have ended in the same place. Finn would have no need to go off on his hunt for the 'Code Breaker' and the story would have been tighter for it. I get that the film makers didn't want to give the plan away to the viewer, but considering that part of the movie takes up the majority of the second act, it is a really weak premise to hold to. Not only this, but if you cut away this farce, the movie would have been considerably shorter, much cheaper, and the pacing would have been infinitely more bearable.

Now let's move onto Snoke. You know, this strange being that was teased in The Force Awakens as the next big thing and has sparked so much speculation in the Star Wars community for the last two years? Yeah, that guy. Well he is little more than a plot device. Insanely powerful in the force, yes, but a plot device none the less. He exists only as a way of bringing about Kylo and Rey's story which just made their story seem artificial and forced. So there's another third of this movie wasted.

So the last third of this movie is the Luke Skywalker and Jedi story. Surely that's going to make up for it, right? No. Sadly not. Luke has returned to the spoiled, flawed character of the first movie who just wants to sulk about the fact that he cant go off with his friends to pick up some power converters. There's even a moment in the movie where Yoda actually points this out. That means that it was a conscious decision to tear down the protagonist of the original trilogy that has spawned 4 decades of love and an enormous universe of stories. The decision to do that boggles the mind.

Basically, this movie was a mess from beginning to end. It gets 1-star for the visuals (though there was a lot of bad CGI in this movie), and one more star simply because I don't think this movie is the worst movie in cinematic history. It's watchable at the very least, which is reason enough for that second star.

I certainly have no hope for the new trilogy Rian Johnson has been employed to write.
    How this script made it past everyone at Disney I'll never know. What happened to the Star Wars that told a coherent story and focused on characters that we truly cared about?

Here, we have a ridiculous stew of new pawns thrown into the mix who end up amounting to nothing. The characters we do care about are under-utilized. Phasma has an underwhelming death after once again being absolutely worthless and without consequence. The other two deaths in the film are that of the two female characters who are introduced with minimal development. And... how did Luke die? He just decided to drift off into oblivion in the same fashion as Yoda? This made sense for Yoda in Return of the Jedi as he was way beyond his years. But Luke here basically just commits suicide.

Genuine drama and momentum is traded in for cheap twists and a non-stop urge to be humorous instead of taking itself seriously. Several of the jokes are cringe-worthy, as if a room full of aspiring comics sat around and said "Hey, wouldn't this be kinda funny if we had this character do this?!" and then they just included every possible outlet for humor with zero discretion. Trading in fluid and impactful story-telling for an overabundance of cheap laughs... something that no Star Wars movie til now has dared to do.

I was genuinely excited to explore the true nature of The Force in this installment, but I was sorely mistaken in that department as well. The dialog during the training scenes is simplistic, rehashed from The Empire Strikes Back, but in a dumbed-down way. No new or innovative ideas are brought up, and as Luke trains Rey, he does so with an air of mockery. To those who have found actual insight, emotion, and philosophical resonance in The Force, the way this movie handles the subject is beyond insulting.

Also- I understand Leia is strong with the Force- but are we really supposed to believe that Jedi can survive being THROWN INTO OUTER SPACE now?? Where do we draw the line? These are human characters we're dealing with, but Mr. Johnson apparently has no boundaries.

And his final shot? A boy who we have NEVER SEEN BEFORE. I understand the meaning behind it- to say that anyone can be force-sensitive- but really?! For me, Star Wars has always been about the characters. So when one considers the closing shot of the movie (which has, in other Star Wars films, always been highly poignant) to be a RANDOM BOY... instead of a character that we're actually invested in... you'll see why I am upset.

Adding even more questions to the list of unanswered mysteries introduced in The Force Awakens, this episode has me seriously concerned for the culminating chapter of this trilogy. Best of luck to Abrams in salvaging the story he set out to tell, as The Last Jedi has left it in a very puzzling and disappointing place.
  • msattitude224 December 2017
    This was supposed to be the film that propelled the saga forward into a new direction??? What was wrong with honoring the direction and legends it started?! All this movie does is crucify a heroic character we all loved from childhood, and then leaves us completely unsatisfied with Rey's storyline. Are we honestly expected to believe "anyone" can be a Jedi?? Disney needs to stop controlling this ship! It's not supposed to be part of the "Disney Princess" history. What a shambles!!
  • I can't really get into what's bad with this movie without dropping a ton of spoilers, but let me put it this way: a friend of mine went to see this before I did, and when I asked him how it was he hesitated, then said "it's just a superhero series now". He was more right than I ever could have known.

The plot is stupid and is full of moments where my friends and I looked at each other and said "wait, what?". There are sequences in this movie that simply do not need to exist and provide literally nothing to the story. The technology, previously something I always thought was neat about Star Wars, is genuinely dumb and makes zero sense (why do big laser bolts in space arc like artillery?). I am ashamed to have paid money for this and as a long-time Star Wars fan it hurts to see just how dead the franchise I love really is.

All that said, the special effects look and sound great, and it was fun to see Mark Hamill acting again. Other than that this movie is a disgrace not just to the franchise but to anyone with a brain. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
  • marc547717 December 2017
    Wow this is getting hammered by reviews and now I understand why. Given its still in week 1 and most of the early reviews were all paid for and fake, the fact that this is at:

57% - Rotten Tomatoes 50% - Metacritic

Means that the real scores are likely closer to 30% and 25% if you take out all the paid for "pro" and fake user reviews...

Are they serious? Didnt they learn from the 1st one that they need to push the story forward instead of making a C grade retelling the old stories? Wow, so glad I didnt pay to watch this.

1st of all, the replacement characters remain unlikable because dialog and character building is poor. Attempts at humor are not funny nor charming, and the plot development might as well be written by someone with a high school level intellect. Plot holes abound in what is sadly yet another attempt at a retelling of the same story from the 80s... how you can make more plot holes in a story remake? Well they did. and they threw in a few eye rolls as Rei continues to be a lore destroying super Jedi that has more power than all the previous Jedi combined without even trying and barely any training. The sensitive storm trooper who didnt want to kill can now kill all his brethren with a smile. And oh apparently the rebel are now so dumb that they dont even consider looking around for an exit when they are trapped, that is until the magnificent leader says they should look around and after asking Lea if its ok to look around with him... lol.

Luke who is supposedly a master Jedi at this stage in his life, is now the guy who either died due to being out of shape or by a 3rd rate sith dork who lost to a storm trooper in melee combat. But he sure fooled him for a minute to allow a group of worthless idiots to escape... I guess this was his Obiwan moment when he went up against a full powered Darth Vader and had no chance of winning... except in Lukes case it was against a kitten with the IQ of a wet towel. They basically took a dump on all three original movies (and even the prequels if you care about those) as well as all the written lore that came after not to mention common sense. Luke got killed while projecting his hologram... why? To give the rebels time to escape when all they had to do was look around for an exit and shoot themselves out. But they were too dumb to figure that out. It took sacrificing Luke (who didnt actually need to die, he could have pulled out the second they started looking for an exit) and Rei to move a few rocks to do what would have been trivial with the guns and equipment the rebels had with them. And all this happened why? Because they ran out of gas lol.

Good bye Star Wars.
    As much as I wanted to love this movie, it utterly failed to deliver on so many levels. Disney, in all its previews, advertised the film as a serious epic focused on Luke, Rey, and Kylo Ren, with no doubt some appropriate comic relief as always. What they delivered was a farce-tripping over itself with excessive and ill-timed humor such that no scene could ever be taken seriously, even ones that were intended to be. That combined with frenetically paced scene transitions, too many new characters, and wasted sub-plots (casino scenes), meant the main story and characters were left undeveloped with few burning questions answered. The main premise, equivalent to a slow motion car chase with the First Order chasing the Resistance until they run out of fuel, was absolutely ridiculous. Perhaps most unforgivable of all was the treatment of Luke Skywalker. While initially promising, his diminished role and ultimate end were insulting to his character and inconsistent with everything we know about him. Shame on Rian Johnson.

In the end, Disney got lazy and knew that no matter what, they'd make a ton of money off people who want to see a huge lightsaber fight and lots of space battles with big special effects. They forgot that lots of people actually like movies that, on top of all that, are written and produced with enough thought and care so as to not appear like a fifth-grade homework assignment put together 30 minutes before it was due.

Not worth the paper the ticket was printed on.