• I went into this movie not having read the book and not knowing anything more than the overall plot. I am a sucker for a good love story, especially love that I can relate to. The pain and emotions felt by the characters felt so real, as if I was feeling the same emotions.

Though this was THE SADDEST movie I have ever seen, it was also one of the most beautiful, as it truly showed how exhilarating and comforting and exciting love is.

I probably cried throughout about half of the movie, along with the rest of the audience. I cried to the point of heaving out loud and needing more than the 2 tissues I came in with. Again, the actors really expressed the emotions of the characters well and I felt that.

I am going to see it again for sure.

GO SEE IT IF YOU LOVE EMOTIONAL MOVIES!
  • 'Some infinities are bigger than other infinities' says my favorite quote from the movie (and the book) and its true because I am going to love this movie for the longest of the infinity. I am a huge fan of the book and one thing which really makes the movie stand out is an amazing performance by Shailene Woodley. She is outstanding in every scene she is and I have to say I am kind of in love with Hazel. Even though its a love story of a girl who has terminal cancer I wouldn't say that the film is tragic rather the film is about living your life to the fullest in your 'little infinity' If you have already read the book, the film is true to the book and the great acting, directing and music adds another dimension to the story. The Fault In Our Stars is definitely one of the best romantic movies ever. When you see this movie you are going to laugh and you are going to cry and when the end credit roles I can guarantee most of you are going to be completely in love with this love story.
  • Average American guy right here, and I dug this flick. I don't care how many 13 year olds were in the theater with me, this movie has emotion. After watching the Descendents, I knew Woodley was going places. She simply delivers in this movie. I'm not going to write a long winded review about the summary, but I will tell you about the acting.

Elgort and Woodley truly deliver. You forget they're acting each and every scene. The chemistry between the two is palpable. Laura Dern comes out of nowhere; I think the last time I've seen her face was JP. She puts up a pretty good role as Woodley's torn mother. Defoe is pure love/hate on almost a House level. In fact, he goes beyond House hatred with his apathy in this movie. And the two's sidekick (Wolff) is loads of comic relief, which is surprising considering that he too is in the therapy group. The rest of the cast is just kind of there (sorry Tramell). But that's because the camera is on Woodley and Elgort the entire time. I don't even think there's a scene except for flashbacks where the two are absent.

As far as the movie... An emotional roller-coaster. You will get addicted to their relationship. You will cry big man tears internally (and probably externally) after 1.5 hours. You will be emotionally drained.
  • I was touched by the concepts and situations on this film, being myself a survivor of 48 chemotherapy treatments, I can somehow understand the feelings.

Is not a pretentious film, however full of little moments that creates a very good and convincing environment.

I like both main rolls. The story is completely credible, it can happen any time to anyone.

It is an Ode for Life, it tell us that "We can and should have moments of infinite joy within a limited time" It is our choice!

I liked very much this film!
  • Before I continue with this review, please note that I have not read the book, but am going to in the very near future :) Please note that Im also a (straight) guy... not that it matters :P

Wow what can I say about this movie. From the moment the title sequence starts, I was hooked straight away. Scene to scene this movie just manages to suck me into this beautiful world of Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters. The chemistry between Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elsort is astounding and the performances were astonishing. Honestly, this is the best movie I have seen all year, even better than Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Godzilla which was a massive surprise. I just thought this was going to be another teenie love story and boy was I wrong. I loved this movie and recommend it to everyone across all ages. I'm rambling on and praising the movie now so I should probably get on with the review.

The direction and cinematography was fantastic. Not a single shot felt odd or out of place. Every shot matched the scene and felt real. The editing was also great as shot after shot matched with the characters faces and where they were (typical good movie editing stuff).

The acting perhaps was one of the best aspects of this movie. Seriously it makes the two characters feel real and alive, and at times I forgot this was fiction and not based on a true story. Their performances were so heartfelt and definitely Oscar worthy in my opinion. But knowing the academy this is just another teenie love story that will not be acknowledged at all. Hopefully I'm wrong, but thats the way it normally is.

This is the first movie this year that I have given a 10. I don't give out 10's easily, but there was seriously nothing wrong with this film. The pacing was perfect, the acting was phenomenal, the direction, editing and cinematography was exceptional and overall, this movie is one of the best romantic comedies that have ever touched the face of the earth. I encourage EVERYONE to go see this movie no matter what age you are and bring a packet of tissues as well. You'll need it.

• This movie, simply put, is worth each and every one of its 125 minutes. Including the closing credits, that you need to dry your eyes and think about what you just saw. It's the inspiring story of two young people who are no different then all of us, as they both are in the process of dieing. Though Hazel Grace and Augustus are more aware of this fact of life; because their „eternity" has an expiration date, set by Hazels terminal illness: Cancer.

As the viewer is put on an emotional roller-coaster, alongside the feelings and attitudes towards life and love the two teens share, this movie will be a key to many locked doors in the recepients minds. And through these doors we are lead by an ensemble of actors who are amazingly sensitive in their portrayal of personalities and emotions.

The writing and directing is so brilliantly executed, that you have sympathy with every character this movie so caringly brings to (short) life. Even when they oppose another you feel unable to take sides. Because you find yourself sharing both. And when the credits role - like the tears on your cheek - you realize, that these opposing views are one and the same after all: Life.
  • Wow. Being an avid book reader, I'm always skeptical about watching the words of my favorite books transformed and materialized on the big screen... but TFIOS stayed true to the book. The movie was absolutely lovely from beginning to end. The young actors were great. The comedy hit on all the right notes, the romance made your heart smile and the tragedy pulled at your heart strings. It really was a wonderful adaptation, and I believe it stayed as true to the book as possible without many changes where there were any. The minute it was over, I wanted to watch it again. Upon leaving the theater, I looked around and there was not one dry eye. Not even the men. If you are a big fan of the book, like myself... and are skeptical about whether this stays true. Don't be. Kudos the John Green on his first film adaptation. It was an absolute success. I'd give it a 10 out of 10 if I could... but I don't believe in "perfect."
  • I don't really cry in movies unless they're really, really sad. And this movie is bound to get you crying like there's no tomorrow. I brought a box of tissues and I used about half of them. I have never cried so much in my entire life. Being an avid fan of the book, I was kind of scared that like some of my other favourite books, the movie would be ruined. But no, the movie had all of the book's materials in it (except for one thing). I never thought Shailene and Ansel would play Hazel and Gus, but when I watched it, their performance blew me away. I think Shailene's ability to cry got ME crying, because that's how real it felt. It is an amazing movie, and I'm sorry to say that it's even better than A Walk to Remember. Go see this movie, and if you do, maybe read the book first so that you can be somewhat prepared!
  • Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort both have arrows strongly pointing upwards. Both shine brightly in this movie and suck you in from the get- go. Following up their (sibling) pairing in Divergent, they both flash a wide range of chops here. Woodley is charming and smart, and Elgort majorly surprised me showing off a comical side. Also very smart.

I won't spoil anything, but I did not read the book so I had no/low expectations and was sucked in early on, and definitely was attached to the characters throughout. It's a great story and it tugs on your heart. Loved it.
    This review is originally from my blog Derpy Reviews, www.derpyreviews.blogspot.com to see more FioS news, reviews and giveaways, email subscribe to Derpy Reviews and friend me on GoodReads www.goodreads.com/DerpyReviewsTeam

The Fault in our Stars, where to start. Great book, fantastic movie. The emotion of the actors made John Greens New York Times Best Seller, real. They brought depth to our pages, they brought emotion to our dripping eyes, and they brought warmth to our hearts.

The movie is about a teenage girl who has terminal lung cancer, she was saved by a experimental treatment when she was younger. Now as she is older, her parents feel that she is suffering from depression which is, as Hazel describes it a "side affect of dying." Her parents encourage her to go to a cancer support group where she meets Agustus Waters, ex-cancer carrier and minus one leg. Soon Hazel and Gus find themselves head over heels planning to love each other until oblivion ultimately catches up with them.

A "sick love story"

The actors casted for these roles were amazing. Shailene, played Hazel flawlessly, she was smart, and funny and cold just as Hazel was. Ansel, was equally amazing, his amazing humor and timing made this movie! The amazing actors and actresses combined with the entire crew, the way the movie was filmed is just inviting, and they way text messages and emails were displayed will start a new movie trend.

Some call it a tear jerker, some revolutionary, but me, I call it a spectacularly made masterpiece. You will laugh and you will cry. And some parts will send those magical shivers down your spine.

I would recommend this movie to... Any reader of the Fault in our Stars Anyone looking for a fantastic movie A guy who wants a romantic movie for two, that he may enjoy himself A girl who wants to just cry through an entire movie Someone who wants to see a spectacularly made masterpiece

"Okay"
    I give it "1" because IMDb doesn't let me give it 0. I never wrote a review before, but seeing the average of 8.5 gave me a feeling of never being able to trust IMDb again.

I usually check movie scores in IMDb to decide if I should watch it in the theaters. Below 7 is lame (except for comedies which gets lower scores). 7 to 8 maybe. 8 and up must see (except for this movie). Seeing an 8.5 I went to the theater excited. I hope someone like me is out there and reads this review before he wastes his time and money with it.

What I saw: Boring, depressing, cynic, pessimist, average looking to slightly good looking girl has lung cancer. The audience is led to believe she is smart because she read the same book 1000 times over (doing that isn't smart) and goes to college (which she doesn't really).

She goes to a support group where good hearted, Christian, cancer survivor (which is made to look like a loser) helps young people who have cancer.

There, she meets 2 characters: 1) eye cancer guy who is going to have to remove them and has a huge boobed (to good for him) girlfriend, who will leave him 10 minutes later. 2) his friend, an extremely athletic, pretty, extremely confident guy (even though he's a virgin (yeah right *rolls eyes*)) who is also a cancer survivor (lost a leg to it, but is paradoxically still very athletic).

Even though his value on the meat market is much higher than the protagonist girl's value, he only has eyes for her, even without her saying anything but depressing things.

At the end of the meeting, if being athletic, pretty and confident isn't enough, a girl passes by him trying to get his attention (to show that even other girls are into him), so that the main girl can be certain that he's an alpha male, but she still give's him a hard time (because in every romantic movie a guy has to prove himself even beyond the shadow of a doubt that he's the man for a boring girl (the exception is when there are 2 awesome guys fighting for the same girl (Twilight))).

They start talking on the phone and she lends him her favorite book.

The leg cancer guy says that her book is amazing. And since the spoiled brat cancer girl has some stupid question she wants to make to the author, he decides to get them both a trip to Europe to talk to the writer of the book. He could get anything for himself, but he decides to give his special once in a lifetime cancer wish to her, even though they are not boyfriend/girlfriend, they have not had sex, they haven't even kissed yet.

Her doctor is the ugliest actor, so you know he's going to be the bad guy. He tells her that she can't take the trip in any possible way! She goes anyway (obviously).

In the generic romantic European country, the guy decides to use a tux (which all men love to wear... Not!) to take her to a very expensive dinner (which although he doesn't end up having to pay, he was more than happy to be able to pay for her!).

The author seems to be a reasonable guy, he tells them in other words that the book ended the way it should have ended, that her questions are stupid and that she's a spoiled brat/ narcissist (which is all true).

She gets sad, boy comforts her and tells her he could write a better ending then the author (no he couldn't, and if that's the case, why couldn't she? and why did they come in the first place?), they decide to go to Anne Frank's house. She's tired of going upstairs because of her lung cancer. When she's at the place where Anne Frank hid, she kisses the boy. Other tourists who were there clap for the blatant disrespect of Anne's suffering because they're Nazis(it's the only reasonable explanation). This clapping cheers them on to having sex.

At this point me and my girlfriend were discussing going out of the theater before the end, because it was so bad and cliché, but we stayed, just in case the end was amazing to make up for all this bulls...

They go back to America. Guy has cancer again and becomes depressed (He knew it before going to Europe, but only gets depressed about it now, w t f?!). In his depression he stops talking to girl (because romantic movies need a moment of sad separation which can always be easily resolved after some days by talking). He starts talking to girl again... about death. Girl writes eulogy for boy, and reads it to him. Boy dies, it's time for her to read eulogy (I'm thinking: she's obviously not going to read the same thing again, because that would be boring for the audience of the movie) and then she doesn't read it! (what?! who saw that coming except for everyone!?). She decides to say bland feel good lies in his funeral, instead of the truth, because she's a conformist narcissist coward.

Girl gets a paper that leg cancer boy wrote to her before he died. I barely remember, but it's some romantic BS. The end.

There's also a scene I don't remember exactly when in the movie that shows how deep does narcissism goes in the girl: She says that she knows that when she dies, her parents are not going to be able to do anything anymore, shrivel and die, because she's dead. Her parents are like: No, we aren't. Get over yourself.

Highlight of the movie: Another guy plays violin for a short bit of time.
    The reason I am rating this a 1 is to combat the insane 8.2 rating that this terrible movie has.

I'm a 17 year old girl, and most people would assume someone my age would fall head over heels for a movie like this. I watched expecting to see this amazingly realistic, incomparable, and tragically beautiful love story, which is how TFIOS had been described to me. After spending two hours watching this movie, I'm sitting here wondering if I'm made of stone considering I did not shed a single tear. But several movies I have watched, and stories I have read, have left me sobbing and attempting to recover for days. I have never read the book, or any of John Green's books for that matter but now I will forever hold the opinion that he is a fully grown man attempting to articulate not only the life of a teenage girl, but the life of someone suffering with a disease. The first few lines of the movie, narrated by Hazel, made me know I was going to hate this movie, since she was describing things that happened in cliché romance stories (which is exactly what this is), and how this was "true." The idea that this movie was realistic is ridiculous. First of all, a few token one-liners in the movie were clever and well written, but would never come out of a teenager's mouth. As a teenager myself, I can confirm that we are not that profound. I didn't understand the appeal that either of the main characters had in the other, other than the fact they both had cancer. Hazel was boring, and selfish, and self-pitying, and Gus was so pretentious it made me feel sick, and I never believed for a second that he was a virgin. Of course cancer is a terrible thing, as is death itself, but the fact that I didn't care about either of them, and saw them as a caricature of what John Green thinks or wants teenagers with cancer to act like, made me completely indifferent to their predictable demise. The story line with them going to Amsterdam to visit the author of their favorite book was annoying and unnecessary. Although the author was painted as this terrible person, I actually agreed everything that came out of his mouth about Hazel. I'm pretty sure the whole point of that scene was to say "hey, what can we do to make this movie even more depressing? I know, let's take the one thing that the main character cares about and destroy it, in order to make her completely dependent on her love interest." There's too many complaints I have about specific eye-roll inducing lines and scenes in this movie to even remember, but the one that angered me more than anything was when they went to the Anne Frank house. First, they tried to compare the horrible death of Anne Frank and her family, which was an outcome of the most horrible thing that has happened in human history, to these teenagers dying with cancer. As soon as they reached the top floor of the house, paying attention only to Hazel struggling to climb the stairs, in my mind I started thinking "please make them be respectful. I swear, if Gus tries to crack a self-righteous joke I will punch my laptop screen." At first, I was pleasantly surprised, because they were quiet and solemn, but then, they begin making out... Only to make it worse, everyone in the room begins clapping. Why? If I was there, I would be furious at their lack of respect. I can only hope this scene wasn't filmed in the actual house. Towards the end I was constantly checking the bar at the bottom of my screen to see how long I had left. I kept thinking, when is this really sad part coming that will make me cry? and when the credits started rolling, I realized it never would. The fact that people are describing this piece of trash as the best movie they have ever seen boggles my mind. I'm assuming it's the first movie they have ever seen. If you want to watch a realistic romance movie, you won't find it here. Don't waste your time.
    I honestly can't imagine how anyone with a sense of good writing, good directing, or good acting could ever think this movie is entertaining past the humor of its flaws. Do you people have brains? These actors may as well have had the script in their hands while shooting. It would have made no difference. The only impressive "skills" displayed came when the girl cries after AUGUSTUS (so pretentious)passes away.

The only thing that kept me engaged in this movie after I had started watching was the curiosity of which one dies first. There were points when I was rooting for the death of them together just so the movie would end.

This review isn't coming from someone heartless. I admit that I teared up when Hazel bawls her eyes out, but that doesn't make the movie good. That just means I sympathize with someone who is crying. That says nothing about the quality of the film.

What happened IMDb? I can usually trust your ratings. I've never written a review here before but when I saw that this was higher than an 8, I had to say something.

This is a weak tearjerker for the weak-minded.
    8.5 on IMDb?!??! Seriously?!?!?!

You can rate this movie SO high... if you wanna be stimulated emotionally in a gratuitous manner + if your IQ level is REALLY low + if you like actors who can't act and look absolutely artificial on the screen (what the heck happened to Laura Dern? she used to be a slightly better actor... now she looks like she's joined the ranks of the completely artificialized Americans... fake smiles, fake emotions; those kids act completely unrealistic also... this is NOT how people who will die from cancer would behave...). Have someone on the BIG screen cry for a few minutes... the audience will cry too, of course. It's like the yawning that's contagious... But why was it that I didn't care at all for ANY of the characters, by the end of the movie?... The only moment that was a bit moving was when the girl received the news about his death... But even that wasn't connected emotionally to anything else in the movie... I can list a hundred movies that are WAY more emotional than this pile of artificial cr*p... And what the f**k is with that pack of cigarettes on the boy's coffin? I know cigarettes eventually PUT you in the coffin, but his was not the case... I wonder what message they wanted to convey to the viewers...
    Without me blabbering on, I would like to give my complements to John Green and his Team. The Fault In Our Stars is a fantastic book which has a really sad ending (I'm not going to say it to you). As the quote says "Some Infinities are bigger than others" however, Hazel and Gus's love was quite an extraordinary one. It must of been hard living with Cancer. The book was different, but it still had the same story to the film but with more parts. I got the book after the film came out so my book has the photos in it. I have to say I did cry at the end but I couldn't stop blabbering through the film. Too be honest, Hazel Grace has inspired me. Not everything in life is perfect and people are dying, this book showed the good and bad sides to cancer.

Like the book says, pain demands to be felt. It touched my sad side. This book is one of the best. Thank you.
    I cannot believe that this tripe has 8.5. I was unfortunate enough to accompany two 15 year old girls with my friend and was shocked that girls that age want to waste their time sobbing uncontrollably on a Friday evening when there is a whole world out there waiting for them.

The acting .... Oh my gosh .... The worst I've ever seen. Gus was unbearable, smug and frankly creepy. And as for her mother - patronizing is an understatement! I just struggled to watch them all make fools of themselves in this silly, ridiculous film.

What rubbish are we feeding our teens? We had to point out to my friend's daughter who thought Gus was such a catch that life just isn't like this. During the movie one girl clattered noisily out the cinema strangled by sobs and the row in front of us shook with heart-wrenching wails as my friend and I shook with laughter.

Get real kids. Don't waste your time watching this trite pap, get out into the sunshine and LIVE or at least watch a decent movie with a believable storyline and great acting, something that will resonate or affect you deeply ...... Because this certainly isn't worthy of anybody's valuable time.
  • pamma096 June 2014
    I read the book several months ago and have been anxious for the movie. So this grandmother went with her 16 yr old grandson who had also read the book. We are both happy with the adaptation. The story of two teens with cancer who meet in a support group for teens, neither want sympathy and both knowing they will die - want to live life. They exchange books and because of the ending of one and the questions they have - they email the author in Amsterdam. Because he had not used up is 'wish' they end up being able to go there and have the chance to meet the author. Willam Defoe portrays the alcoholic author so well - you do not like him. Gus also tells Hazel something he has been keeping from her. Gus and Hazel have their ups and downs and knowing their time may be limited their love is fresh and true - and presented so well. All the acting is good, the sets, the music -and there is a lot of music but I did not notice most of it - a sign of a good movie score. I volunteer in a hospice facility and it was so good to see the presentation of their cancer as real. Their feelings of what they are going thru as real. I will read the book again and see the movie again - it is worth it.
    It is nearly impossible to make a film about terminal illness and not make it heartfelt. The Fault in Our Stars has its heart in the right place but – WOW! – you walk out wishing that someone would shake the dust and clutter and broken fragments off the screenplay so it can flow with more efficiency. Here is a movie that is so busy being profound that the characters feel trapped by plot gimmicks and stale dialogue.

Based on the bestselling book by John Greene, the movie stars the talented Shailene Woodly as Hazel Grace Lancaster, a teenager with Stage 4 thyroid cancer with metastasis forming in her lungs. She's been living with this disease since she was 13, and now she lugs around an oxygen tank with a nasal cannula. Hazel is distant, a bit surly and more than a little bit cynical about the world. In other words, she's a normal teenager. Her parents force her to attend a cancer survivor support group that is led by an overly emotional group leader who begins each session by unrolling a large rug with a big – and somewhat unnerving – picture of Jesus on it.

One day in group she meets Augustus Waters (Ansel Elgort), a fellow teen who confidently announces that he is suffering from osteosarcoma which has already claimed the lower part of his right leg. He's a nice guy that Hazel meet-cutes when she bumps into him in the hallway. There is little resistance from either side as to how they feel about one another and in the blink of an eye, they fall in love.

That's more or less all that you need to know. The connection between Hazel and Augustus is not really built on chemistry but on the fact that they both suffer from terminal illness. The movie doesn't have the flow of real life, but is built on conventions of the plot. Everything in their relationship is calculated for effect, we get gimmicks instead of narrative. For example, Augustus carries around a pack of cigarettes and occasionally puts one in his mouth. Hazel is disgusted but Augustus offers this explanation: "They don't kill you unless you light them. And I've never lit one. It's a metaphor, see: You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don't give it the power to do its killing. A metaphor." That's fine, but the sight of Augustus with the cigarette in his mouth looks as ridiculous as it sounds. He puts the unlit cigarette in his mouth so often that we want to take his away from him and say "STOP THAT!!" The movie is loaded with strange moments like that. There is an odd subplot about a book that Hazel has read over and over by a mysterious author named Peter Van Haughton who has apparently disappeared into seclusion somewhere in Amsterdam. After a long and pointless series of arguments with doctors and with Hazel's parent, she and Augustus accept an invitation to fly to Amsterdam to meet him. Van Haughton is played in an angry performance by Willem DeFoe that seems shoe-horned in as if he were visiting from a different movie.

Worse is what comes next. Hazel and Augustus visit Anne Frank's house. Naturally, Hazel has trouble climbing the series of steep staircases. When she reaches the famous attic, there is little to no attention paid to the fact that they are in Anne Frank's famous hiding place. Instead, the scene climaxes with Hazel and Augustus's first kiss, to which all the strangers around them begin to applaud.

The movie never really deals with the issue of what it is like to live with cancer, or the inevitability that it will claim your life. The dialogue lightly dances around these issues but no one ever gets serious about discussing them. They know they're going to die but neither Augustus nor Hazel ever get down to the serious business of discussing what lies on the other side. Augustus talks a lot about "oblivion", which indicates that he is an atheist, but the movie doesn't go there. We know from the beginning that one or both characters will face the final curtain before the movie is over, but the film's final act is a long – very long – series of slow passages about eulogies and final wishes that goes on and on and on. It should be moving us to tears but you find yourself checking your watch instead.

Hazel informs us in the beginning that "Pain deserves to be felt." We agree, but the movie could do with a lot more pain and a lot less catharsis. The characters talk and talk and talk and talk, but nothing they have to say has any real meaning. Death is the inevitability of this story, but there's such a long and drawn-out funerary tone to the film's third act that is tinged with so much hope and finality that it feels like the happiest sad ending you've ever seen.
  • The Fault in Our Stars was good. It was funny and certainly heart gripping. I thought Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort did a great job. Overall the story itself was magnificent, albeit there were several faults in the film itself.

The editing was awkward at times and there were noticeable contradictory mistakes that I will not dwell on other than to say (without spoiling anything) that there is a teleporting basketball trophy... See if you can spot it!! I also felt that the framing was too narrow at times and some of the two frame shots were unnecessary and distracting. My last and largest problem was that there is a huge difference in what works in a book and what works on film. Some scenes can feel odd – and that is because they are out of place. In addition, the themes could have been much stronger and left us in really thinking. Sadly the film did not quite make it.

I may be focusing too much on the negatives. I did rather enjoy the film and thought the book was fantastic. I would recommend it to anyone contemplating. Enjoy!
  • Why does this film have such a high rating? I've been tricked so many times this year by high-ratings and rave reviews to films which have turned out to me absolutely atrocious that I'm losing my faith in film critics and the cinema-going public alike.

I was promised this film would be a tearjerker, but the only thing that jerked was my gag reflex. I have never met a more obnoxious and irritating character as Augustus Waters and the whole script was painfully cheesy for about 80% of the film.

I strongly recommend you do not see this movie.

Ever.

Even if you are paid to watch it.
    This film is horribly cheesy. Hollywood does cancer very very badly. The male lead could not act and therefore I was not convinced and therefore I did not cry. I cry at everything usually but this film is not convincing at all. It was definitely the male lead that spoilt it for me. I just didn't understand his naked obsession with the female lead. From the minute he sets eyes on her, wham he is in love! I found that very strange, or maybe it was just the way he did it. I know love at first sight happens but this seemed way over the top. If you watch Love Story from the 60's which features cancer, it has an authentic love story and build up but this film does not seem to be that genuine so you don't really care about the characters. To be frank, the whole thing reeks of cheese. Stay away.
    I cannot believe that this tripe has 8.5. I was unfortunate enough to to see it!!

The acting is terrible, probably the worst I've ever seen.The film is silly and frankly ridiculous.

The worst thing in the entire movie was in the scene inside the Anne Franks home when they kissed for the first time after a long, tough climb for who never seemed to end. Not only was it really predictable that they would kiss but...oh my god... then the tourists started to clap...why? Because they kissed inside Anne Franks home? They didn't know that they had cancer... Don't get me wrong..I wanted to leave the cinema after ten minutes so unfortunately it's not the only scene that is bad.

If this doesn't get you to skip this film I don't know what will...
    OK, so typical sappy romantic BS, but this time they have cancer? Oh give me a break. Yeah, thank god they're wealthy, attractive white people so they could have their little romantic adventure. My cousin got lymphoma at age 16 and could barely eat because of medical bills, his parents are so deep in debt they had to sell their house as no insurance would cover him. But the "tragedy" here is that pretentious d-bag Gus (and his cringe worthy pseudo intellectual metaphor) died *after* traveling to Europe and banging a hot girl. Oh the humanity! This is a love story written for the 1%, where the biggest tragedy in life is that spoiled little daddy's money babies Gus and Hazel couldn't live to 90 off their parent's dime, probably in some Malibu beach house.

If you're a rich white person with no concept of real life, you will enjoy this. Otherwise steer clear of this formulaic love story tripe.
  • I can not believe how high IMDb ratings are for this movie! I give 1 to this one because this film has a simple plot and can be summarized in three sentences.

After you realize the whole film is nothing but a parade of clichés, you may decide to walk out because nothing original is going to happen. Or stay and try to figure out which of the leads would be dying first.

Acting is terrible and the fault is obviously in the stars: Gus character and Dad are not able to act, they only pause for the cameras. It gets annoying sometimes, and you start thinking after 15 minutes into the film, would this guy ever be able to keep his lips closed for once please. And he does not!

Film is so boring and this is nothing, it has more than one ending. So, when you have the feeling that it's coming to an end... this is wishful thinking. You are far from that happy moment. There is still too many ridiculous cliché moments to watch which are aimed to make viewers cry.

Do yourself a favor, do not watch it! And if it's to late, and you had already watched this piece of boredom. Please to others a favor and rate the film.
  • cleardawn-131 March 2015
    Obviously, Mr. denizmoraligil, you had not to deal by proxy with no one suffering of the "much the same in the movie". Because if you had, nothing but "that much the same" would be important in your life.

You have 24/7, with luck/ 364 days to think "much in the same". There is no future to plan, there is no happiness to program and pursue, there is not even joy in watching a sunset, or in listening a symphony.

And if you are lucky enough in finding love and have the valour to let yourself immerse in the feeling, it will never be without remembering that "to get a Rainbow you'll had to do with the rain".

So, Mr. denizmoraligil, may God forbid that you experience that "much of the same", but also may God grant you a bit of charity and understanding to be able to discover the hidden beauty that some people have the heart to let out and accept even in the dreadful monotony of every one of their days, hours and seconds.

To me, this movie is a "master piece" that shades feelings, worthy of 10*.