User Reviews (98)

• MovieBuffChick24 September 2017
    Completely irrelevant and grossly disappointing
    I'm shocked at the amount of good reviews thus far. There's the first 10 minutes of this film... then there's the last 10 minutes... NOTHING in between contributed to an acceptable origin story of Leatherface. We got a brief look at his childhood (first 10 min)... eventually we learn how he became disfigured (last 10 min)... but how he became this giant, semi-mute, monster... there's NOTHING about this story-line that explains this or gives us ANY additional insight. For the most part we find out what we already knew (in the first 10 min)... his entire family is sadistic and insane... THAT'S how he became Leatherface... not anything you're going to see here.

This was nothing but an attempt to tell a story that ultimately has nothing to do with the origin of Leatherface. The leap from how this guy became Leatherface is astronomical and nonsensical. What we already knew was sufficient and should've been the focus of an origin film.

THIS was just an opportunity to take advantage of a successful franchise with a story that was FORCED to tie into the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Complete with a bunch of forced twists and turns in attempt to appear to have more depth than it actually does. This was pure garbage and the only thing good about it was Lili Tayler, who wears "psychopath" very well.

Look for me on Twitter and YouTube for audio reviews. MovieBuffChick1
  • Finfrosk8624 September 2017
    Dull and underwhelming, not directly bad, just barely OK.
    This movie in itself is not exactly bad. It looks alright, has some OK gore, decent acting for the most part, some slightly interesting characters. It doesn't suck. But as a origin story to one of horror's biggest icons? Eeeh, yeah. It's not great.

Actually, right off the bat the biggest problem with this movie strikes me. When you're making an origin story to such a famous character, you should make sure that the story you make up and make into a movie is really awesome. Unfortunately, it's not. We see Leatherface's family and stuff, and it's just meh. The opening scene is just not very interesting. What follows though, isn't bad. They have some kind of story to tell here, not relying too much on TCM- lore, and I thought it was somewhat entertaining.

You wouldn't have to cut a lot here to make this movie totally unrecognizable as a Leaterface origin-story, though. That's a shame. And it's also pretty tame, I'm sorry to say. Actually really tame. Like I said initially, the origin story to such a gruesome character should really be a lot more horrific, gruesome and ghastly. It's not. It's pretty watered down. I think the die hard fans of Leatherface will be disappointed with this. But who knows, I may be wrong.
  • Arun George24 September 2017
    A prequel that doesn't hold much value! [+33%]
    When the directors of 2007's gore-spectacle 'Inside' (Alexandre Bustillo & Julien Maury) took over the reins of a supposed prequel to 1974's Tobe Hooper classic 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre', expectations had indeed sky-rocketed. But what we get isn't even worthy of being called a tribute to the TCM franchise, let alone be regarded as its worthy canon prequel.

The screenplay offers very little in terms of the surprises it throws at the viewers (and TCM fans), thereby ending up strictly ho-hum. We see a bunch of eccentrics creating a riot at a mental health facility and escaping, with tidbits of the Sawyer family thrown in to engage the viewer. In fact, the makers are trying to sell this movie around the mystery of which character amongst the the leads ultimately evolves into 'Leatherface'. Well, much to our dismay, even this stretch appears annoyingly contrived (and to be honest, the poster kinda spoils it already!).

What we're subjected to for most part, is literally a lunatic couple shotgun-killing their way to notoriety on their supposed escape (even the big chainsaw-kill comes in too late) with a helpless nurse named Lizzy (Vanessa Grasse) who has unnecessarily been dragged along with them while also being accompanied by a duo of brothers (the somewhat compassionate Jackson and the bulky Bud). Lizzy is the character we're supposed to root for, but sadly this does not work. We know as little about her as we know about the rest of the zany troupe.

The directors who're known to stage horrifically-exciting set- pieces, resort to cheap tricks here (like a partial necro scene) in order to augment the shock-value. The shot of a woman's derriere walking into a barn surrounded by badlands (during one of the opening segments, clearly reminding us of previous TCM films including the Michael Bay funded remake) had just about raised my hopes a teeny weeny bit before everything came crashing down.

With no real thunderbolts in store for fans or non-fans, this prequel falls head first into a pit of quick-sand, the real difference-maker in the story being the weapons (shotguns, knives) that the characters possess and not their personalities. You're bound to forget this movie as soon as the credits roll.

Verdict: Terrible!
  • Evil Eddie22 September 2017
    If you're a fan of these characters, stay away. Far away.
    Leatherface (2017) Review. Will contain spoilers so read at your discretion. I really don't know where to start with this movie. I honest to God really tried to give it a chance. I tried to give Leatherface the benefit of the doubt. Sadly I was disappointed due to a number of factors. I'll start with what I liked because there isn't that much to cover. I enjoyed how they recreated the farmhouse. I think it's cool anytime we get to revisit the Sawyer farm. I'm happy that they were able to tie elements of 3D into this movie with the inclusion of Verna Sawyer Carson, her lawyer Farnsworth, and Leatherface keeping the name Jedidiah. It was neat to see the original Sawyer Clan again and I thought we'd see more of them. That being said, the few positive factors did not save this movie for me. Leatherface turned out to be the skinny kid that was talking as a teenager. I could possibly see Leatherface being skinny in his teenage years but he absolutely does not talk. Maybe he talked a little as a child but at the age he was at during the majority of the movie he shouldn't have been able to talk. Leatherface is not a cliché buff slasher, he is a large heavy set guy. If you want to make Leatherface skinny that's one thing but don't put him right next to someone with the exact same looks, and mannerisms that Leatherface should have. It's not a neat twist, it's a "fuck you" to the fans. Possibly the worst thing they did is say he wears the mask due to a facial disfigurement. Saying that a killer wears a mask because of a disfigurement is the laziest backstory ever! I have given credit where credit is due. It was neat seeing Leatherface come out of the basement with his chainsaw brutally killing Hartman. The classic chase through the woods with the chainsaw was lazy and played out and was not satisfying at all. Despite the cool nods to the original I don't think it's worth the watch. It is absolutely the worst film in the franchise (I don't count the remakes) This movie was unnecessary and absolutely lacking in character development. It's a desperate attempt to make a profit doing what they want with only some nods to the original to keep it somewhat afloat. I'm very disappointed because I don't see the franchise bouncing back from this atrocity unless they do a sequel to 3D. I wanted to enjoy any Leatherface movie but I just couldn't enjoy this one. 3 out of 10. Not worth the watch. Spare yourselves the disappointment.
  • Fella_shibby6 November 2017
    A prequel/origin showing the proper descent into madness n explaining the story of the young Leatherface's evolution into a deranged killer.
    Saw this recently on a DVD. Having enjoyed Bustillo n Maurys previous works (Inside, Livid n Among the living) n having seen all the seven parts of TCM, i was looking forward to this. Well, i wasn't disappointed. Surprisingly i got more than i bargained for. As a fan of road horror/thriller movies, this movie turned out to b a perfect combo. The film is suspenseful, tensed n at times brutal, the film will keep u guessing who's Leatherface. The movie succeeded in paying homage to: 1)There is a psychotic couple on the run who kills people mercilessly a la Natural born killers. 2)There is a bonding between two boys in which one fella takes care of the other deranged fella a la Of Mice and men. 3)There is a cop who is hell bent on revenge from a deranged family a la Devils rejects. 4)This is indeed a befitting prequel a la Hannibal Rising, explaining the story of the young Leatherface's evolution into a deranged killer. 5)It does have shades of One flew over the cuckoos nest. 6)There is a scene which is similar from the Revenant n another brutal scene from another film.... The previous prequel showed him as a mentally n deformed face fellow who just kills but this prequel showed a proper descent into madness n the trauma at a young age which does make for a more entertaining origin story. While the 1974 original will forever be a classic without showing on screen violence, this film does have some very brutal violence but not the kind of gore which is there in the remake n the its prequel. Surprisingly good star cast n solid acting by Dorff n Taylor.
  • Claudio Carvalho22 October 2017
    The Origin of Leatherface
    In 1955, in Texas, the teenage daughter of Sheriff Hartman (Stephen Dorf), Betty (Lorina Kamburova) and her boyfriend Ted (Julian Kostov) are driving along a lonely road kissing each other when Ted almost hit something on the road. He stops his truck and Betty realizes that is a child is asking for help. She follows him and is trapped in a derelict barn and killed by the dysfunctional Sawyer family under the command of the matriarch Verna (Lili Taylor). When Sheriff Hartman learns that he beloved daughter was killed, he sends the boy Jed Sawyer to a mental institution called the Gorman House Youth Reformatory as avenge. Ten years later, the idealistic nurse Elizabeth "Lizzie" White (Vanessa Grasse) is hired by the Gorman House and soon she befriends the teenagers Bud (Sam Coleman) and Jackson (Sam Strike). But Verna comes to the institution with a lawyer bringing an injunction expecting to see her son Jed that had his name changed. However the director Doctor Lang (Christopher Adamson) rejects the document and Verna leaves the security doors open to let the patients to escape. There is a havoc in the mental institution and the violent Ike (James Bloor) and his girlfriend Clarice (Jessica Madsen) steal a car and bring Bud and Jackson and decide to abduct Lizzie as hostage. Hartman learns what happened in the Gorman House and hunts the escapees down with his men, following the crime spree left by Ile and Clarice.

"Leatherface" is a horror film that explains the origin of Leatherface from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchise. The film is underrated maybe because its release timing more than forty years after the release of the original "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (1974). But the storyline, screenplay, direction, performances and makeup are remarkable. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): Not Availale
  • Snaggletooth .23 September 2017
    Oh dear oh dear. Many people were excitedly waiting on this one given it was coming from the directors of the brilliant Inside, but now that its here it seems their slide has continued because that films greatness has never been echoed (particularly after the terrible Among The Living). Leatherface lacks any ember of dread, menace, tension, or thrills and an attempt to have us connect with just one character (the nurse) fails badly. I just didn't see the point of this film, I at least expected to get some kind of simmering, disturbing, sweats on the level of (say) Girl Next Door but there was none of that. The movie has an entirely overproduced mainstream feel to it (completely unlike the original) and while it has some punctuating gore (I guess they thought it was shocking) its done so matter-of-fact it has no impact whatsoever leaving this viewer sighing an unaffected meh. The inclusion of a cheap necro scene was both pointless and silly (another failed attempt to shock) and while I often love Stephen Dorff acting his attempts in this stinker made me cringe. The huge leap in the development of the character who becomes Leatherface also felt forced. One minute hes offering some kind of negotiable humanity and the next hes a brainless loon for the rest of his days apparently. I wont be watching this again, which speaks volumes given I've seen the original at least 6 times. Featherlace.
  • Ricky-5023 September 2017
    Great Prelude to the original 1974 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre'. Don't miss it!
    I just finished watching 'Leatherface' hoping it would be be a great prelude to the original 1974's 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre'. I was not disappointed in the least. With an approximate running time of 1hr and 24 minutes, it managed to fit all of the main characters into the film. I believe the gore hounds will be a bit disappointed. There is not an abundance of explicit violence. By that I mean the bloody scenes are not dwelled upon, which in my opinion is a plus. We even get to see how Leatherface achieves his deformed looks, as well as his muteness. Please don't listen to the naysayers, or the so called 'professional' movie critics. This is a great film as a prequel. I hope they do not attempt to remake the original again. This 'Leatherface', as well as the original from 1974 should stand as they are, and if another TCM movie is made, it should continue from when Sally Hardesty escapes in 1974. Watch this movie. It has action, gore and suspense. Again, you won't be disappointed .
  • kaefab29 September 2017
    Useless movie but very good lots of gore
    This movie could not have been made and it would not have made any difference honest, it brings absolutely nothing new to the Texas chainsaw legacy.

Its far better then the last 2, i was very surprised at the graphic violence and the gore, this is the most gory TCM of the series.

Now i don't know who writes these movies but they should get there act together, Leather face went from wearing human skin mask because of 2003 skin disease, 1974 he was mental and now 2017 because he got disfigured by a bullet......

Also where was the family cop that we see in all the movies? they sort of edited him out, and last but not least the family always changes with new member so its kind of weird from one movie to the other.

This movie should be seen as pure entertainment if you like gore and graphic violence this as it all the people in this movie are all sick and as expected no one survives and the justice is never truly seen.
  • BA_Harrison1 October 2017
    Another disappointing horror origin movie.
    As a child, Jed Sawyer is taken from his murderous hillbilly family and put in the Gorman House Youth Reformatory, where he spends the next ten years with a new identity. When the prisoners revolt, a small group make a bid for freedom with pretty nurse Lizzy (Vanessa Grasse) and fellow inmate Jackson as their hostages.

Tobe Hooper's original The Texas Chain Saw Massacre ranks as one of the scariest films ever made, its iconic killer Leatherface its most frightening creation. With this latest film in the series, they've gone and done what Rob Zombie did with his godawful Halloween remake: give the killer a back story. In humanising the character, they have lessened his effectiveness as an object of fear. Once an emotionless, uncontrollable monster, impossible to reason with, he is now someone we can identify with and feel a level of pity for. It didn't work for Michael Myers and it doesn't work here.

The origins story-line also makes much of the film seem frustratingly unlike a Texas Chainsaw movie, at times even reminding me of a Tarantino flick (the escape from Gorman House made me think of Natural Born Killers while the BBQ stop massacre was redolent of both NBK and Pulp Fiction). Only in the film's closing moments do things actually feel like they belong to the franchise, with Lizzy trying to escape the Sawyer's charnel house, a chainsaw wielding Jed (soon to become Leatherface) hot on her heels. Directors Alexandre Bustillo and Julien Maury don't hold back on the brutality and blood, but even so, I can imagine many fans of the series being disappointed with the level of splatter (too much for some, not enough for others).

5.5 out of 10, rounded down to 5 for that really dumb scene in which three people (including one really fat guy) hide from the law by climbing inside the festering carcass of a steer. A really big steer. Also, minus half a point for the unbelievable necro sex scene. And another half point subtracted for Jed's sudden (and also completely unbelievable) transformation from rational human being to hulking homicidal maniac.
  • Schuriken24 September 2017
    A terrible movie
    Another useless installment in the TCM story. Lame special fx, even worse and confusing story. Does absolutely nothing to the viewer except just sitting there waiting for this dog excrement of a movie to end.

Just fire the guy who thought it would be a good idea to have less human bones for back rounds and even less disturbing scenes altogether.

Did they make Toby Hooper the producer in this movie after his death ?

Sweet baby Jesus now I know for sure they will never match the original even if they use a potato for a camera and cows blood filming in the same house as the original. Shows that whatever you budget may be high or low you will never make anything interesting to watch if you have no talent or respect to the original work you are trying to remake, copy, reboot...whatever.

Maybe the creators never watched the original...who knows...

Skip this one even if your head is under a running chainsaw.

Thanx but no thanx.
  • pedroquintaoo23 September 2017
    The Texas Shotgun Massacre... Annoys

My hype about this prequel was high. I loved the idea of follow 4 inmates spreading out the chaos in Texas and making the viewer trying to guess which one of the protagonists would be the famous serial killer. Although Leatherface gave us an ambiguous taste! In a good way we have a movie about 4 lunatics characters trying to escape from the police, but in the bad way we have a movie without the typical vibe of the Texas Chainsaw films.

Forget all the things that made you liked the previous movies, I thought was watching a spin- off instead a prequel, Leatherface only turns in a lunatic killer during the last 5 or 10 minutes (and he only dress the skin mask in the last 2 seconds), the Sawyer family development was far way of what we have seen in another films, they weren't so crazy or creepy, they were just a sadistic family. Even the sequences about the inmates spreading the madness could be better, they go to 2 places after escape from the asylum, take a shotgun and then the final act begins, the producers could put them in more scenarios and doing a lot of crazy stuff.

Leatherface isn't so bad, has some potential but is very far away of to be a good horror movie as also I can't call it a Texas Chainsaw movie, because even a shotgun has more screen time than the chainsaw, hasn't the typical insane vibe and sometimes looks more a spin-off or a thriller based on the story that we all know.

Rating: 4.5/10
  • Eric Germ24 September 2017
    A solid entry after decades
    Honestly though I was stoked about this, knowing that the last movies have been total garbage, I didn't lose hope.

This definitely has the original TCM vibe in it. The colours, cinematography. While it lacks the gore, it's still a solid movie showing how it all started. Probably the biggest flaw is that it lacks the silent tension the original had.

However still more effective movie than the Beginning, 3D. Recommend!
  • jmbwithcats22 September 2017
    Why was this made?
    Okay this movie sucks so so very much... two scenes stolen entirely from other movies... and a script that makes absolutely no sense on any level...

Right now I'm finding it kind of stupid that there's this frail pretty girl working around the criminally insane with no security around her, it's completely out of control and unrealistic right off the bat. I don't think the criminally insane would have such open access to cigarettes and things that could be used as weapons... it's really taking me out of the movie right now.

Poorly written characters, script, damn... I was really hoping this would be good.

rofl OK OK this movie just made the biggest movie making mistake you can make... holy crap... so a girl is running, gets her leg caught in a bear trap... she doesn't even scream, she just looks back like... hey why can't I run anymore?

The original is genius... especially when he comes out in the morning light at the end, when she thinks she's safe, cos it's daytime... that was such a profound moment for horror, maybe the first time horror said no, daytime does not mean safe anymore.... brilliant...
  • bsthorrortownusa23 September 2017
    My Thoughts On 'Leatherface'
    Please just STOP already! Let me start by saying I did not like this movie.. Leatherface has more in common with Bonnie and Clyde than TCM..

The story centers around a teenage Jed aka Leatherface escaping from a mental hospital with two Bonnie and Clyde wannabes and another inmate, also kidnapping a young nurse. From there, the trio and the nurse take a incoherent road trip into hell..

This movie is not good at all, and in the process sinks TCM brand further in to mediocrity.. I didn't have high hopes going in to it, but the flick did have director Alexandre Bustillo and Julien Maury going for it.. The duo behind one of my favorite horror films of all time INSIDE.. So I did have at least some hope..

But it was not to be, I don't know what went wrong.. Maybe to much studio meddling? Who knows.. Anyways Leatherface offers absolutely nothing when it comes to good story telling or likable characters.. I'm not going to into spoilers, but when things to come ahead.. It some of the most (all of a sudden) bullshit I've since, ugg.. Never mind..

Positives: some good gore effects, we do get a little bit of boobies.

Negatives: Terrible story, mediocre acting, awful characters.

I hate to say it, but I had more fun with Texas Chainsaw 3D and that is saying a lot.. grrrr
  • Garvey McPherrin23 September 2017
    Gotta rant, as a lifelong fan of the original.
    Number 1 rule of Horror! No origin story. What's this? An origin story. As many said before, and I've said since seeing the amazing 1973 version at a 80's re-release drive-in, it worked because of the mystery, atmosphere, and NO GORE. So basically, Leatherface 17 basically does every single thing the original didn't do to make it the film it was.

Are the filmmakers aware of that? Do they care? Do they know origin stories are bad financial decisions for horror properties? If I were credited exec producer Tobe Hooper (RIP), I would have made sure to pass away before seeing this too. It is a better option. No, really, die before seeing this.

As Scorsese says as he continues to sell out "cinema is dead". This is a mean, inept, nasty, badly overacted at every breath. It has more production value than the 1994 version. Haven't seen all the TC films, but somehow this makes the Matthew Mcconaughey film look like a gem. In an attempt to be relevant, they added forced shock as there is a sex scene taking place on top of a dead body. Lame. And this is a no-no to say subjectively in a review, but there is definitely something wrong with you if you like these kind of movies. And I've seen Henry/Cannibal Holocaust/Serbian Film - don't condone those, but there's a point to them, at least. These statements will make people outraged, but the real fright is, nobody will be outraged that film content like this is normal these days. Worst part is, all the imagination this property can offer is fully drained from this Bulgaria filmed outing.

Lili Taylor tries to underact. To think, she and Stephen Dorff had respectable careers at one time in the 90's, and before. It doesn't get too much lower than ending up in a Z-grade version of a 40 year old horror classic, that goes direct to streaming and forgotten in a few days.
  • dovla_barakovac24 October 2017
    Not so bad if you wan't to lose appetite
    It feels like Seth M. Sherwood, Alexandre Bustillo and Julien Maury, have only watched One flew over the cuckoo's nest, The silence of the lambs, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, and a lots of Mexican Telenovelas (because of the plots), and than they decided to make this movie. But still great makeup, and costumes, lots of blood and horrendous scenes, just like some decent horror should have.
  • johder23 September 2017
    Don't bother
    Horrid. That is the best word to describe this 'prequel'. It completely destroys every previous time line and makes a complete mockery of the original films. Why it even got made in the first place is a mystery to me. Don't waste your time. Hopefully you didn't actually spend money to see it.
  • sexbunny6722 September 2017
    The greatest and darkest 'Texas Chainsaw' Film Yet!
    HOLY SH*T, whoa. I just watched this movie and this was beyond spectacular! The darkest, most gut-wrenchingly icky version of the origin story EVER. I've gotta hand it to the make up/ special effects department on this one since it's absolutely and fantastically gory! Unbelievably R-rated to the maximum here (I mean it's already technically a foreign film!) There are many epic sequences of violence that are awesomely intense and graphic as hell (There's also a sex scene you'll NEVER be able to unsee). This film just drags the viewer through a metaphorical sludge of utterly disturbing character development and filth until the credits roll and it's perfect!

Makes you seriously consider taking a shower after viewing, but I usually need one anyways. It's hard core realism like this that we need more of from Hollywood. I loved this and wanna watch it again now. It's like the very best of anything Rob Zombie has ever created and feels extremely disturbing along the exact same lines 'The Devils Rejects' did. THIS IS TOTALLY WORTH WATCHING for this is the chainsaw movie that us horror fans have all been waiting for!
  • Iliescu Victor17 October 2017
    A prequel we never asked for
    I cant say that i had that much expectations from this movie, let alone hoped for a good story. If you thought the remake from 2013 (Texas Chainsaw) was dull and cringe, this one no is difference.

For more than half of the movie, I questioned myself why is called Leatherface, the action never calling for the well known killer nor his reputation. If you had no knowledge of him, one would assume is just another movie about a mentally ill killer, scaring off some teenagers and hunting them down.

The acting is not bad but could be a lot better, the plot is probably the biggest downside of this prequel, having too many stupid scenes. Not that many references to Leatherface at all, apart from the beginning and the ending. A foreseable ending was also a big downside, which made me to set a 6 out of 10 just as a pityful note because I like the TCM as a series.

Only watch this if you have time to spare on a rainy day.
  • george_aslf24 September 2017
    One of the best in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchise
    The problem with many horror movie franchises is that due to lack of new ideas brought by their authors (who tend to solely exploit the trademarks and fundamentals of the original work instead of contributing something of their own) sequels/prequels lack originality, are too derivative, formulaic and overall subpar. None of these applies to the new Texas Chainsaw Massacre prequel entitled "Leatherface".

"Leatherface", directed by Alexandre Bustillo and Julien Maury ("À l'intérieur") is an example of a very well done prequel – to a certain extent reminiscent of the original work of Tobe Hooper, containing multiple references thereto as well (like the grandfather slamming a victim with a hammer and killing him with a single hit, as the granddaddy is in his prime here), but nevertheless original, self-reliant and solid piece of work.

The biggest achievement of the directors is a successful mixture of genres: a horror movie, a rural shotgun crime film and a mystery. An "asylum horror movie" could also be added to these as a sub-genre, however I have intentionally omitted it as the scenes taking place in the asylum were my least favorite (somewhat derivative, similar to Rob Zombie's "Halloween" prequel and other asylum horrors). The events taking place after the asylum part are much more interesting and exciting. The diner shootout (reminiscent of Oliver Stone's "Natural Born Killers") is classic on its own terms. Then comes the mystery (big twist) part that I am not going to elaborate on (in order not to spoil anything). And, finally, the kid-to-monster metamorphosis (both, physical and moral) was done immaculately.

A few words about the cast: it was good! The characters felt real, there was no overacting (or just bad acting) that we often see in horror films. Lili Taylor, Jessica Madsen and Sam Strike did a great job.

Visual and special effects are topnotch. The movie is ultraviolent – just the way a full-fledged Texas Chainsaw Massacre film should be. The ability to create amazing violent scenes on screen was demonstrated by Bustillo and Maury in their prior work (primarily, in "À l'intérieur"). The imagery (rural landscape, Sawyers' house, killing weapons, etc) is spot on and consistent with the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

The only way in which "Leatherface" is not fully consistent with its predecessor is that the latter is a dark comedy, while the prequel somewhat lacks the comic and the whole "Grand Guignol" elements of the original. This is only a minor issue though and does not affect the quality of the film in any way, especially if we consider that the film is already a mixture of various genres (as described above).

In a nutshell, "Leatherface" is one of the best installments in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre franchise and is a great horror movie on its own terms. Definitely recommended to all horror fans.
  • B_Light23 September 2017
    Best entry in the franchise since the original

Status: APPROVED

A violent teen and three others kidnap a young nurse while escaping from a Texas mental institution. Pursued by a vengeful sheriff, the disturbed young man embarks on a murderous rampage that shapes him into a legendary killer known as Leatherface.

What I liked:

•Well acted, and well directed.

•Entertaining as hell.

•Since it's a prequel to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, you probably want to know if it's as Gory. Long story short, yes.

•The story is better crafted than I thought, giving us a few characters we actually root for.

•Great cinematography.

•Unapologetically ruthless, a thing horror movies aren't these days.

What I didn't like:

•Obvious outcome.

•Some parts of the story such as motives, mostly pertaining to the sheriff, has been done before.

•May be better as a stand-alone.

Consensus: As a prequel to a long running, iconic horror series such as The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, this is better than it has any right to be. I was rooting for characters, thoroughly entertained, and overall impressed by the writing, acting, directing, etc. Some parts were ho-hum but overall I really enjoyed this movie, and I recommend it to any horror fan or Texas Chainsaw fan. Very impressed. Leatherface is available exclusively on Directv Cinema, and will get a limited theatrical release in the United States October 20th, 2017. And if it comes out somewhere near me, yes I'll probably buy a ticket.
  • trnjamesbond1 October 2017
    Embarrassment To The Original
    Leatherface is another iteration of the original classic of the 1974 late Tobe Hooper masterpiece.

We are introduced once again to the Sawyer family, played by an all new cast, one shot was stolen from the prequel to Michael Bay's version Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Beginning. To reference that shot it's when the girl is walking up on the barn in the field.

Regardless this film starts with the Sawyers celebrating little Leatherface's birthday, with of course a victim at the table. So right from the start, we have no reason to like or dislike these characters. Not one character is good, it's actually directed terribly, it was almost as if an amateur fan of horror directed this, except that person has no idea how to use a camera, it's constantly moving, this does not create excitement, in retrospect it makes it feel even more cheap.

Some of the story takes place in a mental facility, and this idea is so cliché it's infuriating, it feels like the writers/director watched too much of Rob Zombie's version of Halloween.

This version feels more like a Television movie, aired on ABC or something like it. It does nothing to try and be better than previous versions, the amber hue is suppose to capture some sort of Texas sun feel, and make the film more exciting, but it actually makes the film worse.

The score of the film sounds like it was composed on a 1980 Fisher Price keyboard. The Sawyer family just feels misplaced, no character development at all. This is one of the worst films I have seen in the year of 2017.

It was not intriguing, the characters were dull and predictable, the viewer is suppose to assume to know who these people are. Absolutely waste of good film. This is as far from the original story line that it fails in comparison to the original film. Avoid at all costs.

Thanks for reading.
  • Gizelle C Poisson23 September 2017
    Lily Taylor's performance is reason enough to watch!
    This movie is a wonderful prelude to an already brilliant franchise of the horror genre. Lily Taylor demonstrates such a superb performance as the family matriarch. A family's misunderstood existence breeds both fear and hatred. A truly unique franchise that goes to show that blood is indeed thicker than water and there is no better way to serve revenge but ice cold and in the grinder. Much to look forward to is the rise of Leatherface! Bring on the next installment, we are waiting!
  • matt shaw26 September 2017
    An embarrassment.
    Tobe Hooper was the executive producer? I'm guessing he didn't read the awful script before signing his name to this mess of a film. The direction is terrible, almost comedic in places (waitress getting head blown off being an example) and acting all over the place - I mean, fair play to Sam Strike - coming from Eastenders to this but... I wouldn't be surprised if this is also a nail in his coffin. There are no characters you give a monkeys about in the whole film, even the nurse taken hostage, and there are scenes put in for shock value and nothing more and - even then - they're not that shocking considering horror films gone before. One such "shocking scene"? A burned girl having sex with her boyfriend whilst making out with a corpse. Seen it before in "Nekromantic". The deaths are boring too - things we have seen before such as a person eaten by pigs (Hannibal) and another having their head put on a rock and stamped on (American History X). The problem being, the other films did those scenes so much better.

The story - what made Leatherface into the monster he became - was boring. Part "Natural Born Killers" and part "All the bad Texas Chainsaw Massacre films" - it was, thank God, only 1 hour and 20 minutes long. Honestly, there is nothing redeeming about this film and had it not been for the fact it is trying to build upon the franchise - I doubt it would have been financed. It certainly doesn't deserve to be seen.