User Reviews (36)

• I really enjoyed the pilot of this show, which surprised me a little. It was unexpectedly clever and made me chuckle.

I thought all three of the main actors had good screen chemistry with each other, which is hard to find.

While it does have several clichés in it (I dare anyone to find something that doesn't), that doesn't matter because the actors pull it off.

I enjoyed every moment of the pilot, and I have high hopes for the rest of the episodes we get.

My concern is that NBC axes things willynilly sometimes, so I don't have a lot of optimism that they'll keep it on the air (much like Bent, which was hilarious and starred the same man as this show). I'll enjoy it while I can, and you should too. :)
  • I watched this show with low intentions. Heck the real reason I watched it is because I've literally seen pretty much every good show released in the last decade. OK it's not Doctor Who or Battlestar Galatica, Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones but despite the budget, the premise and everything I decided to give the show a shot and I'm so glad I did.

This show touched me on many levels. Anyone who feels any sense of entitlement and yet feel lost in a world of so many opportunities will resonate with this show. In fact I think a lot of people can resonate with this show. The show presents and ideology that what we all want, that is people in general just being nicer and warmer to one another. And while this might be a controversial point the fact is since 9/11 American's, especially in the major eastern cities have had a sense of fear instilled in them. Heck from my time in America my opinion was the people were the servants of the Government and not the opposite as it should, and used to, be.

This show may well be in its infancy, but they managed to fit a lot into the devue episode and I think they pulled it off very well. I know a lot of people think the premise for the show has been overused in recent times but I think this show is different enough to break away in future episodes and become truly it's own identity. It's not perfect, but it's good and I highly recommend it to anyone.

As you can see it's not like some of my favourite shows which I listed at the start (all of which have amazing character and storyline development) but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

For those who enjoy this show you may enjoy the slightly darker movie Short Term 12 which has recently come out (about foster children in a short term care house).

I'll finish on that note, which just a quick reminder to not base a show on previous movies but it's own merit. After all a show has opportunities for story and character development which isn't generally available in the Movie time window.

Cheers, Cyn
  • nowego24 February 2014
    Like one of the other reviewers mentioned, I to have literally seen almost all of the good shows that have been released of recent times. In fact I have seem almost every good show that has been released in the last 50 years. Am I a TV addict, yep.

Having seen the movie with Hugh Grant many times it was with a bit of trepidation that I decided to watch this show, not being sure what to expect hoping it didn't disappoint. Well it didn't and being only 22 minutes long it was long enough to leave me wanting more. Unfortunately that means having to wait another week to get my fix. The lack of canned laughter was a bonus.

It may not be up there with the really good classics, but it hit the spot for me. It had enough funny points to have me laughing and enough emotional points to feel for some of the characters. The eye candy was nice as well, I am sure both sexes will be satisfied.

If you have seen the movie and really loved it you may be slightly disappointed with this, but keep an open mind and give it a chance, you might get a nice surprise.
  • I'm a Nick Hornby fan, loved the movie, and was shocked to see it come to the US and be made into a TV series. While I thought the source material was geographically re-locatable, I wasn't convinced that the characters would still resonate. Will, especially, is such a great British misanthropic womanizer, I felt sure that that they'd drop the ball with him.

I was really happy to find that my fears were unfounded.

This version of About A Boy retains the laughs and the poignancy of the original. While Hugh Grant was on career best form in the film (and the Badly Drawn Boy music was pitch perfect), David Walton's Will is a well-realized modern man-child with a heart of gold. Minnie Driver is excellent, although she's definitely less out there than Toni Collette's version, and you do get a sense that they may start a "will they/won't they" thing with Will and Fiona, which you always knew was off the table in the novel and movie.

The "boy", Benjamin Stockham, is good, although there are a couple of moments where he seems to strike the wrong notes. But the chemistry between him and Walton is excellent, and that's by far the most important component.

Whenever Al Madrigal and Annie Mumolo show up, they strike a different tone, reminiscent of the Paul Rudd/Leslie Mann combo in Knocked Up. Definitely not a bad thing, and it keeps it from getting too predictable.

They could get a huge amount of mileage out of this show, as Marcus grows up and starts becoming a man. Definitely fertile soil and after the promising start, I'd love to see what these characters get up to.
  • Will Freeman (David Walton) is a carefree womanizer living off of the royalties of his one hit song. Weird new-age Fiona (Minnie Driver) and her odd son Marcus move in next door and turn Will's life upside down. Will forms a tight bond with Marcus despite his misgivings. Fiona is horrified at first but grows to see the good in their relationship. Will's best friend Andy (Al Madrigal) is married to bossy lawyer Laurie.

'About a Boy' is a very good movie but it means nothing for a TV adaptation. The story is reasonably set up for a TV sitcom as long as the actors are good. I like all three actors and I love their chemistry. I don't always love Al Madrigal but he's more like a side character. The kid is adorably dorky and Walton is fun. Minnie Driver is a no-brainer. I love the chemistry especially between Walton and the kid.
    First, they ran so many previews so often you feel like you've already watched most of the episode. And of course, the previews capture the few funny and/or endearing lines of the show. The premise has potential, and Walton (Will) is charming enough, but the plot is both too simplistic and too over-wrought.

The storyline seems condensed, as if two episode plots were badly cut together into one. And everything falls just short of believable, starting with the blonde cellist's rapid acceptance of Will's wild make- believe leukemia-afflicted, African-voodoo-saved son.

Driver's character is grating, pushy, and not appealing or likable, so her son's jokes about dating her fall flat; there is zero chemistry between her and Walton. The blonde cellist is just the opposite, but sadly appears to be a one episode character. The plot is predictable and Walton's rescue of Marcus at the talent show lacks any emotional punch while also being over the top. No one at a middle school talent show would react with such bipolar opposite reactions - from throwing paper wads and insults at Marcus to a standing ovation - to a mediocre rendition of a pop song.

The show is sappy. It lacks depth and sincerity. In short, I will pass on the next episode.
  • We enjoyed this episode and are looking forward to seeing the next episode.

Interestingly we enjoyed Dakota (Leslie Bibb) and think that her presence in the audience at the Talent Show could set up an interesting return and reconciliation as Will (David Walton) morphs into a better person. His words at the single parent group made me want to smack him. What a jerk, but that's key to the storyline so it was probably appropriate to develop the character and show his need to change.

Similarly, it will be interesting to see if Fiona (Minnie Driver) becomes less shrill and more centered. At present her character is like scraped nails on a blackboard. Annoying right? You just want to smack her too. Well, that sets up the storyline, and little Marcus is destined to be the change agent. It's a formula that works.

We haven't followed many series on NBC for a long time, and perhaps this signals a new path for them? We certainly enjoyed it and are hopeful for the success of About A Boy.
  • piyushdon14 August 2014
    Comedy drama centered around the relationship of a boy and his neighbor. The right amount of funny with just a bit of emotion allowing you to really love this show. It is the second adaptation based on the 1998 novel of the same title by Nick Hornby, preceded by the 2002 theatrical film. Reminds one of the relation between jake & charlie in the first few seasons of "Two & A Half Men". Over-all 22 Mins episodes are worth the watch. Premise. Successful songwriter and bachelor Will Freeman lives a carefree life as the "ultimate man-child". His perfect world is turned upside down when single mom Fiona and her 11-year-old son Marcus move in next door.
  • amcra14 March 2014
    OK dude, we're all sad your daughter died however, please lighten up. It's a t.v. show. I didn't see where they were mocking anyone with leukemia. It wasn't even a joke. The character was just using it as a way to get close to a girl. I see nothing wrong with that and I think you are overreacting. I can't begin to feel your grief but with that being said you should be able to detect what's real and what's not. I always find it interesting when people experience loss that are quick to point it out in movies, TV, and media. It's not always fair. But this is a great show and it should not be canceled. I'm sure they'll be sorry you're offended but it's not worth ruining peoples jobs. God Bless you!
  • I have never written a review before for any movie or TV series, but I knew I had to write one for this show. I saw it one time being played and decided to watch it since there was nothing else to watch, and I was instantly hooked. I love the relationship between Will and Marcus, which the actors excel in making it feel real, since it isn't the typical kind of relationship you see in TV shows (between a boy and a man who don't have any other interest in the other except to just be friends). I really enjoyed watching the entire season and was thrilled to hear that the second season will happen. It is hard to pinpoint, but the show has something that makes you want more. It definitely has to do with the acting, the plot, and the realness of the whole thing. I really hope people discover this amazing TV show because I know that for me it has been great to watch.
  • What happened?...Just discovered this show on Netflix...I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!...why was this cancelled?...adorable series, what a shame...GREAT cast, great storyline, I am going to miss this one when I have watched the last episode of season 2!!!
  • It follows the steps of the 2002 Hugh Grant movie. It's not a laugh out loud comedy, but it's endearing, funny and has a lot of heart. Or at least it did in the first season.

In the second season it seems that the writers ran out of things to say, and the situations became too forced and not that funny. It still had its moments, but there were too far between. Rates plummeted and the last season was swiftly canceled, with the last 6 episodes being released months later on video on demand.

The series finale was quite good, although all in all I prefer to keep the memory of the fresher first season.
  • I could not agree more with the other review. The show was amazing in the beginning. Then Dr. Sam leaves and the show just sucks. I used to look forward to watching it. Now I could care less. In the beginning it was funny, sexy, even cute little interactions for how unlikely the relationship is between the main characters. That might be why it was so likable. Then under unbelievable circumstances Dr. Sam leaves the show. She was SO FUN to watch. And they didn't even replace her with other attractive roles. We like watching attractive girls in their underwear. Will is supposed to be this bachelor ladies man and their are no ladies anymore lol.
  • With all the high power actors and money they obviously poured into the shooting of this pilot, you really want this series to be good. I love Minnie Driver, I love Al Madrigal, I love Benjamin Stockman. All these great and funny actors should create a really great show. Somehow they don't.

You absolutely hate Minnie from the first millisecond she is on camera. Benjamin is overplaying the quirky cuteness of his character. Al Madrigal is on the screen for maybe 30 seconds in the episode. The whole show is about David Walton (Will) trying to get in the pants of every woman who walks by. That premise creates this inescapable disaster that is not worth watching.

Reviews that compare this show to some of the best television made are obviously written by professional reviewers that are paid by NBC to blanket the web with positive comments about the show. Anyone with eyes and a functioning brain can see there is nothing to see here, just move along.
    there might be spoilers ahead. the show sucks.

if it weren't for David Walton there would be no reason to watch.

Minnie driver playing a saggy-nag-hag shrew of a hippie-dippie single mother. Benjamin stockham as a yet another nerdy, flaming pre-gay, fake asperger syndrome freakazoid. pussy-whipped hipster best friend with an awful see you next Tuesday of a wife. who are these people? they're not even archetypes, let alone resemblances of off-kilter funny folk based in any reality.

give it the big skip-o-Rama. except to watch David Walton. anybody know if he's got a sex tape being leaked?

and that theme song. can somebody please kill that guy before he 'drops' a 6th album (or do folkariffic singer-songwriters 'drop' albums? maybe they carefully nurture them in their man-wombs, and let them suckle at the teat of creativity, until they slowly drift off into the world of their own accord?)
  • "We still up for ribs?"

I watched this show with low intentions. The real reason I watched the pilot is because I've seen pretty much every good show released in the last decade. The show is no Breaking Bad or Big Bang Theory but despite the budget/premise/ and everything I decided to give it a watch.

Will Freeman lives a charmed existence. After writing a hit song, he was granted a life of free time, free love and freedom from financial woes. He's single, unemployed and loving it. So imagine his surprise when Fiona, a needy single mom and her oddly charming 11-year-old son, Marcus, move in next door and disrupt his perfect world. When Marcus begins dropping by his home unannounced, Will's not so sure about being a kid's new best friend, until, of course, Will discovers that women find single dads irresistible. That changes everything.

The storyline seems condensed, as if two episode plots were badly cut together into one. And everything falls just short of believable, starting with the blonde Cellist's rapid acceptance of Will's wild make-believe leukemia-afflicted, African voodoo saved son.

Driver's character is grating, pushy, and not appealing or likable, so her son's jokes about dating her fall flat; there is no chemistry between her and Walton. The plot is predictable and Walton's rescue of Marcus at the talentshow lacks any emotional punch while also being over the top. No one at a middle school talent show would react with such bipolar reactions- from throwing paper wads and insults to a standing ovation to a mediocre rendition of a pop-song.

Once you strip down the predictable jokes; you're left with a banal arrangement of gender and social stereotypes. Fiona's new-age sensibilities are read only as a failure of parenting, and Will's toxicity as a single man is viewed through the prism of disapproval.

Overall, this just goes to show that most sit-coms that premiere during mid-season are bound to fail. For these reasons About a Boy gets a 1/10.
  • The excellent script and acting make this new show a highlight of the week. Our family - two sons ages 14, 11, mom and dad, love to watch it together as it has something for everyone. The relationships that develops between superficial, sworn bachelor Will (David Walton) and his new neighbors - wise, precocious 11 year old Marcus (Benjamin Stockham) and his single, intense, vegan, mother Fiona (Minnie Driver), is funny, filled with life lessons (value of love and friendship) as the three become closer and begin to learn from one another. Secondary characters like Will's friend Andy (Al Madrigal) are also excellent and well cast. Wonderful chemistry and dynamics between the lead characters! Great script!
  • aldunisch26 June 2018
    Yeah, im a few years late but i finally watched. Odd part about it, Mr. Chris was my favorite character. i decided to look him up and i guess hes doing more stuff? Three Stooges Sequal?! nice. i watched the first one and liked that alot!
  • kartikgurnani22 June 2018
    It's sweet but not syrupy. The pilot is so beautifully written and acted that it's difficult to offer any kind of resistance, flaws and all.
  • A very different show, 2 seasons, 30 20-minutes episodes - short & simple.
  • You look at this show's name and think it will be just like the fifty five other shows. But this show is amazing. It's so amazing it made me write my first review ever.. Its not just another sitcom..It has smooth comic punches blended with ups and downs of a socially awkward boy's life. I've gone through the whole first season and half of the second, and the show still holds the magic it did on the pilot episode.
    I was told about this show by twenty something friend and so was skeptical about even trying it out. So glad I did. I was immediately hooked on the characters and i love Minnie Driver. David Walton is a super great actor and reminds me of a young James Garner. I hope that he will be very picky about what movie roles he plays because he is Movie Star material. In fact, I loved all the cast members and felt the acting was superior. I loved the script. So thankful I was able to see Will and Fiona kiss before the show was axed. Minnie Driver, Al Madrigal, David Walton, Benjamin Stockham, Annie Mumolo ( Bridesmaids!!)... and the list goes on and on!! How can this show be canceled??
    "About A Boy" is easily one of the best, and most underrated, sitcoms of the last decade. Having watched most of the series when it originally aired, and having just watched the unaired episodes on Netflix, I can safely say that while it's not a perfect show by any means, it's still tremendously enjoyable throughout both seasons. Some of the usual sitcoms are present: the contrived situations pop up here and there, the characters are occasionally too over-the-top, and everything is very conveniently wrapped up in 22 minutes, but it's very easy to look past those flaws just based on how funny the majority of the episodes are.

The basic premise of the show, which is that a 35-year-old man child becomes becomes best friends with his 11-year-old neighbor, could come off as both creepy and incredibly sad with the wrong people behind it. Showrunner Jason Katims managed to make the premise work, not only by making the whole thing more believable than it should be, but most importantly, by casting exactly the right people. David Walton is perfect in the role of Will Freeman, a man who has never quite grown up. Walton doesn't play the character as a goofy Adam Sandler type. He's more of a regular guy who just happens to be a bit immature and carefree. Walton is great with one liners and incredibly charismatic, which makes it easier to forgive his character's dumb mistakes. His chemistry with both Bejamin Stockholm and Minnie Driver (as his neighbors) is what drives the show. Some would argue that the sentimental nature of the relationship between the three of them make the show too overtly sweet, though I never had a problem with it. The sentimentality is part of what the show is, and it's genuinely touching at times. Even though the show was canceled after two seasons, the last episode functions as a good enough series finale that leaves viewers with a strong indication of the direction the show was likely to go in.

It's not hard to see why the show didn't last. The ratings were really low, and some fans of the novel and previous film adaptation didn't think the show measured up. I can't really compare "About A Boy" to the novel its based upon, or the 2002 film adaption since I only have vague memories of both. If nothing else, the show makes me want to check out both again. "About A Boy" is well worth watching even for those who don't usually like sitcoms. Recommended. 9/10
  • Walton is good, very likable but the script I watched was terrible (her son's Birthday party, plot points written by a room full of 20 year olds who don't have kids and have never spent any time with kids), plot points make zero sense. And please, PLEASE make Walton shave, love of mercy, if I want to stare at a unkempt person, I'll walk outside.

Minni is so mis-cast, or actually maybe the problem with her is she is so glammed glammy, with all that make-up on and attention to her appearance is the opposite message of everything in her life she is supposed to stand for re being down to earth and natural. Make Minni more like org mom, the girl who played Toni, or her name is Toni I forget. If the script had better writers, toned down her whiny character (God, give the lady a few jokes or something akin to humanity)Minni would be okay.

Her son is extremely bad casting, not working, not working folks.

When you take this show on its own, without background knowledge of both the book and the movie, then it's an alright show. However, if you're a lover of the original text, you might want to skip this version.

Unlike the original text, this version sets the story in San Francisco. Basically they have Americanized the story. That is not necessarily a problem. But when little inaccuracies pile up, things get annoying. I had to shout a few times, so annoyed at what I was seeing. Marcus singing 'What makes you Beautiful' I mean come on, it what universe would that happen. They have missed the mark with the original story. None of the characters formed enough to make an impression. Will lost any substance he had, Marcus was nothing like the lovable character seen in the book and movie. Fiona's treatment was probably the worst, reduced to a hippie dippy stereotype. The characters lost all what interesting about them, what people loved about them.

I have to admit I have only watched the first episode. What a saw was not stellar. It moved so quick, racing through plot points without any development. The relationship between Will and Marcus had little growth, suddenly they were best buds. Fiona 'breaksdown' her serious case of depression passed over in a few sentences. What this episode needed was time, it seemed to be in a rush. Hopefully some developments occur but this episode seemed to be rushing to the end, and not in a good way.

All in all, this show is just another run-of-the-mill sitcoms, nothing special. It does not hold true to the fantastic book and movie in which it shares a name. I cannot recommend this show, but do checkout the original texts.