User Reviews (467)

• Took the grandkids to this movie...they didn't think it was very good. It seems like something that was produced for the dollars it could make rather than a story that needed to be told.

The good: it was not very long. The colors are brilliant and visually stimulating. Max was remade with a little more of a fun personality.

The bad: Grinch somehow seemed wrong. I'm not sure if it was the voice, the artistic effects, or just a general un-Grinchiness. The story was a retelling that didn't need to be. The biggest negative is the feeling that this movie is forgettable.

I'm sure I'll never watch it again. I've watched the original about a billion times, and the Jim Carrey version nearly the same.

Bottom line...save your money and rent it later.
    I just didn't like it. I love the book I read it from November onwards every year to my kids. I love both the older versions but this just got diluted down until it was a poor version of a Christmas movie. The odd funny moments but nothing else. There was nothing mean or awful about the grinch at all he was quite nice to begin with just a lonely sad man who needed friends
  • They picked the absolute worst voice for the Grinch. Also the Grinch didn't even seem bad. In fact, its like a five year old would have considered this movie less than a G rating. The Grinch is known to have a hard stare and grin with a rough voice. They ruined this version.
  • Illumination is a studio known for producing gutless, boring, paint-by-numbers, mass appeal movies that focus more on cute gimmicks and marketing than they do on actual storytelling and character development. If you've seen anything else from Illumination, you practically don't need to see this movie, because you can probably just predict every scene in your head and just about get it right. While The Grinch isn't Illumination's worst, it's still a thoughtless and emotionless product only meant to sell toys and theater tickets before charm and charisma.

Benedict Cumberbatch's Grinch is boring. I do like Cumberbatch and I did think he'd be great to voice the Grinch, but he's terrible in this movie. His voice doesn't match the character whatsoever, and does nothing to bring the character more to life. At least Jim Carrey put energy and emotion into his performance, whereas Cumberbatch sounds like he's disappointed about the small paycheck he's just been given. The Grinch himself is written in a way that pulls all punches and has to cave in to cutesy kids logic instead of a clever way that tells a good story. Instead of making The Grinch actually funny or interesting, they make him the typical 2018 grumpy hipster who's a good guy at heart but just needs his morning coffee. Making him a mostly good character really undermines the climactic payoff of him finally understanding the meaning Christmas towards the end.

Sadly, both the character and the overall movie as a whole share the same problems; it's boring, uninspired, and vanilla. Much like the character, the movie sucks out anything interesting in favor for playing it safe and selling toys. The music is even done by rapper Tyler The Creator, and even as a moderate fan of his work, the music here is terribly uninspired and obviously an attempt to make the film more hip. Most of the jokes are entirely predictable. Actually, the entire movie is predictable. I don't mean we've seen the original movies, I mean the film follows every generic story you'll ever see in a kids movie. The film feels more like it was written by a computer and less like a team of engrossed screenwriters. One of the film's running gags is the ex-popular 'screaming goat' meme...seriously, I thought that meme stopped being funny in 2013.

Truthfully, this film is not the worst thing to come out of Illumination. It may not be a good movie, but at least it doesn't completely bastardize and miseducate its message like The Lorax did, and at least it isn't as excruciatingly for-the-masses as Minions or The Secret Life Of Pets. The Grinch, as well as every single other Illumination Studios movie, is like a cute untamed puppy; it may urinate on your rug and chew up all of your shoes, but it's cute and looks at you with big puppy dog eyes and does silly things, so you don't punish it and let it slide when it really shouldn't be forgiven so easily. When are we as an audience going to stop letting these thoughtless movies slide solely because of their cuteness? Regardless, moms and kids alike will continue to enjoy these movies without the slightest care, simply because it's cute and nothing more.
  • If you've seen the trailer you've seen the whole movie. It's funny, yes, but the trailer ruins it as it has included every single joke from the movie.
  • When the movie ended, I looked over at my family and asked "did they even sing the grinch song?" which I was highly anticipating with a fun, new modern edge. my nephew responded with "it was a remix and not the whole song" what?! Jim Carey made an entire scene out of it! This movie was a let down. Can they stop remaking movies if they're going to be lazy and unoriginal about it? The Jim Carey one and the original Grinch are way better than this
  • It is the classic story of The Grinch we all know so well. So yes its predictable, yes we know what's going to happen and how it ends, but even so it was a joy to watch and the kids really enjoyed it. This version of the grinch is a little less disgusting and you see a bit more kindness from him, which I liked. It had quite a few laughs and some very sweet moments. I personally liked it better than the Jim Carry version. But nothing beats the original.
  • Anyone who gave this a bad rating clearly is just upset because, they don't like a modern Grinch because they grew up with the original classic Grinch cartoon. This movie was one of the most adorable and fun feel-good animated movies I've seen in a long time. Benedict Cumberbatch killed it as the Grinch and, all the gadgets and grandeur of the grinches holiday heist scene is so creative and colourful and fantastical! This is one of the greatest Christmas movies of all time up there with Nightmare before Christmas. This movie was a joy to watch and if you couldn't find joy in this movie maybe, you're the Grinch.
  • I honestly do not get the impressionable casuals who say that any critic who dislikes a movie they like is wrong. Using that logic, YOU'RE wrong for liking it. But that's not true, because it's all subjective. With that out of the way, allow me to explain why I didn't like this movie:

It's dull and boring. It's not interesting, it's only funny in certain places and even then it only resulted in a small smile. If what's advertised to me as a comedy movie isn't that funny to me, I think it's failed as a movie. This could've had the potential to be a pretty decent movie and it's not the first time Illumination has done a Dr Seuss movie. Expectations weren't exactly through the roof, but I expected them to do so much better than this. The animation is pretty good, as expected for Illumination, but it can only dazzle me for about 5 minutes before I realise how dull and uninteresting this movie is.

Again, if you liked this then good for you, but I just can't enjoy this movie.
  • I have absolutely no idea why this movie is not getting good reviews. I'm often extremely critical of kid movies but really enjoyed every bit of this one! I loved that it taught about love and kindness and the need for people without trying to shove any political correctness down our throats. Just a really funny, really good movie! Kids laughed trough the whole thing too!
  • lshalo12 November 2018
    Very family oriented and clear cartoon, and got a deep idea about Christmas agenda- thanksgiving before presents. Recommended for everyone
  • No matter how much worse the IMDb rating gets, watch the movie for yourself. I love the music, the animation, the voice talents and the storyline! Aside from from having a few goofy moments, the movie was a lot more dramatic and touching.
  • I went to go see The Grinch with my daughter who is 8 years old and we both enjoyed it. I laughed a little more than she did but she loved it! It follows along the typical Grinch storyline but with some new characters. If you are a fan of the Grinch, this movie will not disappoint and it's especially great for the kids who seemed to all enjoy it. Overall, a great family movie that delivers a great message in the end.
  • AdrienneGrayceMusic11 November 2018
    There is a reason I don't read critic reviews, and it is because I never ever agree with them. Usually when they say a movie is bad, I like it and vice versa. I like to leave reviews for movies and tv shows because I enjoy them, and I don't care about other people's views. I will give you my honest review as just a regular movie lover. Glad I didn't listen to critics on this film. It was great! A sold out theater. Kids and adults all laughed throughout the film. I went with my husband, sister, brother in law, and my niece and nephew. We all loved it equally. I enjoyed Jim Carey's version but I cannot compare them. I was wondering if I could like this without it having Jim Carey but I truly did. Heart-warming film with a slightly different take on it from the last film. To me, the dog, MAX stole the show! Great animation and effects. 3D is even better. To the people saying there was no storyline...ummm, there was! sheesh. Its about...well...THE GRINCH!! You don't take my advice, its just MY opinion, but I advise everyone to see this. Do not expect an Emmy winner, but it is still a great, warm and cozy holiday film.
  • I'm going to keep this review short since you know the story most likely.

I was enchanted by this movie from the moment it started. It was a fun animated movie, with gorgeous animation, a lot of heart, and even some humor. The 90 minute run-time makes the movie fly by.

And the Grinch is evil but not scary. This has been ridiculed, but I like that the movie was trying to make it more comfortable for the little ones.

The ending, even though I knew it was coming, was very uplifting. The Grinch's heart grew 3 times bigger, but guess what? So did mine!

This is one of my favorite animated movies now, and my #1 Dr. Suess adaptation. This is the movie to see this holiday season!

Note: If you found this review helpful, please click on cinephile-27690 to read my other reviews!
  • rbastille9 November 2018
    Your smaller kids will love it! Incredible animation, had fun watching it in dbox.
  • moezya-3568113 November 2018
    Worst adaptation of the grinch ever made. Stick to what you know and what people love....the original cartoon. Too much overacting.
  • I love the actors I. It. The dog was cute. And funny moments. But the two previous grinch movies made the grinch clearly hate....loath entirely tye holiday. Where as this one made it feel like he was just avoiding. Doing his taxes. He mingled with the whos in a way that didnt even make him seem like that much of out cast. But the fault was in the writing. But still. A screaming goat is worth 8 stars lol
  • Look I'm probably not the target audience for this movie but I gotta say I smiled I. Laughed I felt flat out joy one of the best of the year simple sweet and fall down funny for once instead of a movie being about war it was about peice and love and joy nothing I regret about seeing this movie
  • You'llbe laughing from the time you sit down until the credits start rolling. Heart warming and fun, it's a great movie for the whole family. And it doesn't have the terrible jokes and weird feeling of the Jim Carrey version...
  • megangcr12 November 2018
    I went to this movie today with my 3 and 7 year old kids and we all enjoyed it! This movie is an easy classic that will be in our Christmas movie rotation every year. It's so nice to see a take on the story that sticks pretty close to the original without doing what kids movies do so often these days - create over the top sad and heartbreaking back stories. Visually the movie looks great and the story moved along quickly enough to keep my 3 year olds attention. The characters are adorable and had everyone in the theatre laughing. If you're looking for a good easy going kids movie this one is great for the whole family.
  • We just saw this in the theater and we loved it. My kids are 3 and 5 and they sat and watched the whole time. As a parent, I loved the story. The world needs a little kindness and love. I
  • I am 64. My wife is 51. We loved it!! Imaginative and colorful, beyond our imaginations. Heartwarming story too.
  • janebrowne12 November 2018
    Good film for the family, worth the money seeing it at the cinema and when it comes out on sky and when it comes out on Blu-ray
  • They did a great job expanding upon the story. It's a beautifully animated movie, and safe for the whole family. I also appreciated the combination of classic Christmas carols, modern music, and orchestral score. This is a new annual Christmas movie for us!