2 July 2017 | nikhil_kamra
Norwegian TV has definitely got my attention!
Yes, this is not a 10/10 rating. But that doesn't make this suspenseful thrilling drama any lesser than a MUST WATCH!
The only other Norwegian series that I've seen is SKAM. It blew over the internet, and I've got to say, it is a masterpiece. Now, I wasn't intending on watching any other Norwegian series, any time soon. But I really wanted to watch the US remake of this series, Eyewitness.
I read online (at a lot of places) that for the viewers of the original drama, that is, THIS, Eyewitness, the US remake was a complete and utter failure. And because I had some time on my hands, I gave this a go. And my, my, was it worth it! This certainly exceeded my expectations. Enough that I do not want to watch the US remake anymore. Not any time soon. Knowing myself, I will later on.
Let's get into it?
1. The acting! Norway has got some seriously talented people in their acting department. I mean as far as I remember, none of these actors are known to me. Just like none were from SKAM. And just like SKAM, they are a MASSIVELY talented bunch! A HUGE APPLAUSE!
2. The script and the idea. It's a fairly original idea and it's perfectly understandable that people in US made their own version of this. It IS that good, after all.
3. The execution. I cannot remember the last time, the conclusion of any series had me so tightly gripped!
1. It felt like the script was probably extended to fill in 6-hour long episodes. The excitement and the gripping tension of this dark series was little to non-existent in the middle of the series. Episodes 3 and 4, to be precise. Certain elements were really not required and could be done without.
2. Little to no conclusion. The series came extremely abruptly to a conclusion. We got the answers to all the "what" questions, but a lot of "how"s and "why"s were left unanswered.
3. Because there was no conclusion, there was no aftermath. AT ALL. Which is okay, but I really don't think it should have ended the way it did. A few more minutes could have done SO, SO much good! But, nevertheless. The review must go on!
1. This is NOT a "gay" series as some people point out. There is only a very little representation of it, despite it being a "central" plot. Now, that isn't a good OR a bad thing. It's just how it is.
2. A shout-out to the following actors/actresses, JUST BECAUSE: Axel Bøyum, Anneke von der Lippe, Per Kjerstad, Bjørn Skagestad, Tobias Santelmann. I don't even know how to pronounce these names, but these actors are really just AMAZING!
This series is not at all perfect but is definitely gripping, dark, and binge worthy. Despite the few pointless plots that lead to a few boring moments, and the extremely little conclusion that leaves many questions unanswered, this series is most definitely a MUST WATCH! If you're up to watch a Norwegian cinema/TV or a foreign crime drama in general, this is it!
I give it a hard earned and well deserved 7/10! :)