User Reviews (52)

• mvdennisuk29 January 2014
    I watched this mini series for entertainment. If that is your purpose - enjoy!! The scenery is spectacular,the photography is beautiful, the acting is solid and the story is ENTERTAINING (somewhat melodramatic)!!! I thought the cast was excellent.

Much of the criticism that comes from the other reviewers seems to stem from the lack of realism. I have always felt that the hallmark of a good television show or movie is the ability to suspend disbelief. There are dramatic elements to this series that stretch the imagination BUT it is a story not a documentary. If you want it to be absolutely realistic don't watch it. I LOVED IT!!!!!
  • My wife and I were frustrated by all the factors other reviewers have pointed out...the "Hollywoodization" of the costuming and make up of the women, the inclusion of modern issues, race, anti Jewish, women's suffrage. The implausibility of the wolf attack, river near-drowning, etc.. Stupid mistakes historically I don't think cigarettes were invented until the early 1900's, as well as the events mentioned by others. It always surprises and annoys me when otherwise great production values are undercut with stupid and/or lazy mistakes.

All that being said, we did enjoy the production...great scenery and sets, the story line was interesting even though it was TV/movie formula with dark lighting and poor sound. Visually it was interesting...the series could easily have been shortened by a couple hours. I turned on the Captions which made the dialog easy to follow, and I enjoyed a number of quotes which, I'd love to be able to remember. They weren't authentic to the times I'm sure, but were little gems.

In conclusion, we put our critiques aside and watched the series and enjoyed it for what is was, not what it could have been.
  • I was looking forward to this series as I have done the Chilkoot Trail and spent a fair amount of time in the Yukon. I saw an interview with the producer stating how they went out of their way to be accurate so I had high expectations. Yes the scenery was spectacular, but not at all like that of the real Chilkoot Pass. The first disturbing piece of footage was at the beginning when the miners were working their way up the pass and in the background there is a ski area! You would think in this digital age they would be able to "photoshop" it out. Did not one person in their crew notice this? At the pass they are greeted with a spectacular view of the Yukon River. Sorry, but that's not what you see. Also, each miner had to prove they had 1000 pounds of gear to get over the pass, an important fact left untold. Okay, all this technical geography stuff aside (most folks would never know anyways), I just thought they did a poor job making this look like the late 1890s. Modern phrases are used and everybody is way too clean. It was a good attempt on the Discovery Channel's part but it ended up being a disappointment for me. There are great books on this great historical time out there for folks who are interested. Think I'll go pull out some Robert Service poetry and get a better fix!
  • Klondike is one of those series I picked up because it looks fascinating, with a somewhat unorthodox setting. With gold digging as the historical background, you assume that this is what the series will also be about mostly - aside from all the frauds and the harsh climate. Alas, everything seems to be addressed only once throughout the series, because there isn't time to remind the viewer what's so perilous about the environment, and what's at stake. Instead the show aims to be a classical Western story featuring cold weather.

The gold digging itself is also left completely out of the story. While I wouldn't want to watch a 6 hour series about digging gold, it's striking that a 20 page chapter of "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" is more detailed in the process of extracting gold, than a 6 hour series produced by Discovery. At times it's easy to forget that the show is even taking place in Klondike, and not just any saloon in Santa Fe.

Despite a good crew of actors, the characters are one-dimensional and there is little room for any character development. Although some of the characters undergo transitions, there's no development - they simply go from A to B while not giving the viewer any credible reason for their transition. The same goes for the relationships between the characters. Some characters that take up a lot of screen time are even completely redundant, and a waste of the precious time of a 6 episode mini-series. I can think of at least two subplots, without which the show would have lost virtually nothing, while gaining both time and coherence.

"Klondike" bit off more than it could chew. A mini-series of 6 episodes is not equipped to deal with profound questions on the true value of gold, while also dealing with the position of females, the suppression of Native Americans, the presence/absence of hope and God, and so on.

This series could and should have been a lot better.
    That's the Jimmy Stewart film (directed by Anthony Mann) in which Stewart heads for Dawson City, his boyfriend (Walter Brennan) and cattle in tow, to escape a number of people (most notably John McIntire) who want his hide. (Get it? His hide?) Consciously or not, "Klondike" borrows heavily from it.

For a program supposedly based on fact, "Klondike" displays two obvious errors right at the start. For one thing, the Canadian authorities required prospectors climbing the Chilkoot to bring at least a year's supply of food, so they wouldn't have to bother burying people who died from starvation. This is glossed over to the point of being ignored.

The second error occurs when Bill Haskell (a real Yukon prospector who wrote a book about his experiences, played by Richard Madden) falls into a near-freezing river. (Madden insisted on doing the stunt himself.) He makes it to shore, but even without a fire, his clothing somehow manages to dry out. Why he doesn't succumb to hypothermia (a huge amount of body heat would be needed to evaporate the water in his clothes) isn't explained. Nor is the sudden appearance of Father William Judge (Sam Shepard), who shoots a wolf about to make a meal of Haskell. (Three errors, actually -- non-rabid wolves rarely attack humans.)

The story is less documentary than drama, perhaps excessively so. There are lots of characters with conflicting desires (the very basis of drama), but it seems mechanical and schematic. Belinda Mulrooney (Abie Cornish) finds Haskell attractive (apparently for an innocence she doesn't want destroyed) and helps him, simply because it moves the plot along.

As for the reviewer who complained about "social engineering"... If racism and anti-Semitism were part of that era, there's no reason not to include them (where appropriate). What bothers me -- as a liberal -- is the projection of liberal values on people who did not have them.

I haven't read Charlotte Gray's book (from which "Klondike" is derived), but I suspect the writers tarted it up with as many dramatic clichés as possible -- the murder of one's best friend and the search for justice, the prostitute with a heart of gold, the priest who has to decide whether to keep silent when he knows who the killer is, etc, etc, etc. Sorry, but I've seen all this before. And the 60-year-old "The Far Country" includes homoeroticism (Brennan has a serious man-crush on Stewart), while "Klondike" ignores this. (Ditto for "Paint Your Wagon" -- Marvin and Eastwood love each other more than they love any woman.) We don't even see a bull dance!

The series slogs to a dragged-out, highly implausible anticlimax. Most of the people receive their just rewards (good and bad), or "recover their forgotten moral senses". But Meeker inadvertently finds the one weak spot on a frozen river and falls in, taking a lot of the gold with him. And Father Judge is given a funeral while he's alive, so he can enjoy it. The funeral music is supplied by white musicians inexplicably familiar with Dixieland jass. Are we supposed to take this seriously?

"Klondike" is well-acted and beautifully produced. The script is merely serviceable. It's larded with pretentious aphorisms and philosophical observations that seem more 20th-century than 19th. The writers show no awareness of when particular figures of speech came into use. ("I never thought the first day of the rest of my life would be so bad.") The low point of their ignorance comes when Bill tells the Mountie "You're incentivizing killers!". (!!!) Is it too much to expect a scriptwriter to own the OED, and use it? (I do, and I do.)

Frankly, "Deadwood" covered the same moral and psychological grounds, and did it with greater depth and imagination. Discovery Channel has labored mightily and brought forth a mouse.
    I was looking forward to this kind of entertainment. I was so disappointed! If it wasn't for the rain, mud, etc. I would have thought that you got the characters off Hollywood street and put them in the scenes. The women's makeup was in the now, not then. The men and women's teeth were so perfect and white that it was hard to get into the time era. Enough for me. All of that ruined it. Whomever was responsible for that time period - don't use them again! I want a time period to look real. All you have to do is look at our past movies and you realize that you don't have to have beautiful or nice and perfect characters.
  • Klondike was much-hyped on Discovery, and looked interesting. As a period-piece, it works on some levels, offering a gritty look at the Gold-rush era in the Yukon. However, the story-telling and logic of the plot is sadly wanting. It's almost as if the scriptwriters didn't want to use any clichés in their dialogue - so, they wrote obscure, pompous phrases that are not clichés - but they don't make any sense either. I wouldn't say that the acting is flawed - Tim Roth is brilliant as a psycho land baron-villain - but the lines they are given just don't explain the plot or what the characters are supposed to be thinking.

We watched 'Alaska-Ultimate Survivor' during which we saw how real-life survival experts dealt with frigid cold, especially after unexpected encounters with icy water. The Director should have watched that series before setting up some of his shots. (Once your core temperature drops, so do you).

There was also some explicit 'skin' scenes, thrown in to further narcotize the viewers who may have been nodding off. Unnecessary. Try writing a realistic script instead, Ridley Scott!
    Folks, you see a number of reviews angry or frustrated with the tale because of its inaccuracies. Yes, that is true. I've read Bill Haskell's book, and he did not travel to the Yukon with a guy named Epstein. First Haskell went to Chicago and could not find good work. That's when he found himself in Colorado looking for some mining prospects. He traveled from Colorado with Joe Meeker after they met working some gold fields there. The entire story about how Bill Haskell met Joe Meeker in Dawson is pure fantasy. The gambling Epstein story is completely fabricated by writers. Bill Haskell was educated in a Massachusetts Academy from age 15 off the Vermont farm (sent by his farming father with high aspirations). After this, he denied college and Haskell worked in a Boston dry goods store. He was bored and wanted to travel west. He made it to Colorado and overheard some guys talking at a table in a restaurant. He inquired and they offered to sell him claims in a Colorado creek area. He couldn't afford a claim, but went to find those fields and met Joe Meeker there. The idea they travel to the Yukon was Joe Meeker's, not Bill's. Bill had $800 dollars saved up and between them, about $1700 total. Joe Meeker had been to the Yukon before. These were tough men, who put together a provision of 3500 lbs in San Francisco, and then traveled to Alaska, walking and surviving in brutal conditions. Bill Haskell got to Dawson before it was Dawson and he was good friends with Joe Ladue who developed the town. Bill Haskell worked for a cabin builder in Circle City for a while, after he split from Joe Meeker who stayed behind to mine in (if memory serves me right) Circle City. Haskell rode (worked on) a steamer up into the arctic circle and wrote about Eskimo hunters and other interesting sights he behold while up there. Once Bill Haskell got to Dawson, he worked in the lumber mill, built a cabin, and staked a claim on the creek...after Claim #60 down (stream) and stayed there through the winter because of all the stories he was hearing about gold finds up there. He had the claim, but wasn't convinced there was gold and had figured it was all bloated stories of fortune. The first summer and fall 1896, Haskell was actually in the "wood business" in Dawson. Joe joined him later, but Bill had another partner at the claim through the winter and it wasn't Joe Meeker, it was Joe Ladue. Haskell and his lumber yard/real estate selling partner made it rich off that claim. Before they got rich, he spent his days baking bread and helping with the claim. It wasn't until later in the summer, that they hit pay dirt. They kept those $40,000 coffee cans full of gold quiet and then they left town and went home after two years in the Klondike. Most of the gold collected up there by the miners was housed in a warehouse through the winter and went out with the steamboats in the summer months. Belinda actually married the "count", who is depicted in Klondike as an English bad guy. He was actually French and was a barber who claimed fame and royalty once he made it to Dawson. Belinda lost her first fortune to him and divorced after traveling to Paris. The divorce didn't happen until 1906, after he had kidnapped one of her kin and a bunch of lawsuits ensued over assets. She eventually made another fortune in the banking business, retired, and moved to Yakima. She died in a nursing home in Seattle in 1967 at 95 years old. She had sold her orchard and mansion in Yakima when her fortune ran out. SHE's the one with the Orchard, not Bill Haskell. Bill was noted in the Dawson town log in 1901 after he had returned, and was never heard from again. That part is true. And another truth is Joe Meeker falling through the ice and drifting down a fast river, ever recovered. Bill had left the Yukon after Joe Meeker's death. Haskell made a fortune in his claim after the brutal first Dawson winter. The Indians we saw in the miniseries was just nonsense dreamed up by the writers again. Most of the Indians either worked as pack/guides or did nothing at all, but survive. Anyway... we will never know the full story, but it was indeed fun to watch Klondike with all its Hollywood B.S. But what do you expect? The real story is so complicated and filled with real brutal harsh life, that the normal soft American audience wouldn't watch it. For what Klondike is, (a nice western), I enjoyed watching and really liked the music. I think if the writers did some real research on Bill Haskell's stories and accounts of his time in the Klondike, they could have come up with something really neat. As a published fiction author myself, I'm considering such a story.
  • richardk177622 January 2014
    Seriously.... the guy is trying to make it across a frozen lake with this thick coat on but he never pulls the six inch collar up over his head but instead he takes his warm wool cap off. For more drama they show him with ice and snow hanging out of his beard but does nothing to try to shelter himself from the cold. Then.... come on now...the guy falls through the ice and is in the river under the ice floating away but all of the sudden he stops and his friend chips through the ice to see him going to the bottom with the gold "floating" to the bottom like pieces of wood? Who was the producer? Several other scenes like this that defy logic. I lost all interest after this... Hollywood producers think we're all so stupid.
  • Sjkstokes22 January 2014
    Wanted to enjoy this, but it was just not that good sadly. What is worse is the required ten lines needed to actually post my opinion of this mini series. So unfortunately you are stuck reading this ramble. I at no point felt like I was taken back to 1897. The writing was not captivating and it became obvious this was recorded in 56 hours. The peak of the movie was seeing Tim Roth's character dead even though you didn't really know it was him tip the end. Poor Meeker. At this point I regret signing up for this account on the account that anyone writing ten lines worth of review on a movie is long winded and just wants to hear themselves talk. Feeling disheartened at this whole process and happy it's over.
  • John1017_rm25 January 2014
    Why am I watching this show? I don't watch any other shows like Game of Thrones or anything like that. I am half way through the 2nd episode and I am already completely turned off. I'm going to watch this whole show just to say I watched it. The only reason I am watching this is because I like Gold Rush and Jungle Gold and I thought the California Gold Rush show was pretty good and they hooked me in with all their promos and previews.

I really hope this is just a one time thing and the Discovery Channel does not go this direction. I would never be watching this show if it were on another channel.

Let me try to describe why I don't like this show.

Way too dramatic, over the top drama, with unlikable characters (the one likable character was killed) Women characters and actors are completely unbelievable. Forced romance and romantic scenes (nudity) clearly placed to cater to female audience. Boring, too much dialogue and not enough gold mining. Way too rainy and wet. Not enough Sam Shephard. Drags on and on for two hours. Do they only have one mining set? Laughable voice over and narration.

That's it, the only reason I'm writing this is because I'm bored watching the show.

I imagine you would like this show if you like other dramatic series airing these days. I just wish they would stay off the Discovery Channel.
    This thing was so full of clichés and historical inaccuracies it was almost not worth watching. In addition to the inaccuracies mentioned in the other reviews, I wondered why those people trudged through the snow of Chilcoot pass in the spring, while it appeared to me like there was boat service on the Yukon river that would have made the trip a lot safer.

Clichés galore: Antisemitism, the priest who wants to save souls, the strong women & weak ones (whores), the cut throat businessmen, bushwhackers, wild Indians (who were actually more civilized than the white eyes, boy meets girl, has fling etc. etc. ad nausea.

Overall, I was slightly entertained, but thought it was mostly a waste of my time.

The scenery was spectacular and was the only saving grace in the production.

Best regards, Jack (radio W6QO)
  • markgam22 January 2014
    I was very anxious to see this movie. i loved reading jack London when i was young. But it is another soap opera. you cant walk around in the yukon in the winter in your bare hands. its unbelievably cold. there would never be beautiful women with perfect teeth running a frozen frontier town in the late 1800's. the story is weak with silly integrations. the story started so good with adventure and hope, then it turns into just another stupid dramatic soap opera. They should have left him on the ice so that the series could have ended sooner. Adventure is interesting, but just throwing in jack London, the mounties and snidely whiplash doesn't make a story. i never wrote a review before. i was perplexed as to the ridiculousness of this series
    I sat through all three episodes, and the entire time, I was howling in outrage! I was born, raised and still live in the north, and am a First Nations woman. I am an avid reader and history glutton for anything "northern", especially the gold rush era, it's characters and the effect it has had on the north, and the peoples who lived there. From the very beginning, this show was unbelievable. The guy with the fancy can of nuggets? How did he get there without getting robbed or killed after flashing this around? Why didn't he take it to a bank or gold dealer for Cash? Then Skagway/Dyea; totally inaccurate. Other reviewers have mentioned this as well, along with the Soapy Smith connection. His character should have stayed in Skagway. Where was the border crossing/checkpoint at the top of the pass? Whitehorse and the canyon? All of the other Stampeders along the way? And don't get me started on the clothing, especially the women! Since when did women in the 18 or 1900's ever dress in tight-fitting spandex pants, and pleather! She was supposed to be a respected woman of business? Puuleeze!! Blatant killings, inaccurate costumes, weak NWMP characters who didn't uphold the law, and vigilante Indians? That was the most irritating! The natives lived peacefully amongst the Stampeders, in fact helped many to survive the harsh conditions, with many intermarriages and children. The scenery, while spectacular and definitely Canadian (if you could ignore the ski hill and highways in the background) is NOT the type that is in the Yukon or around Dawson City. Sorry Discovery, this was an EPIC FAIL in my book, and your historical and location researchers should have done a better job. Maybe an actual trip to the Yukon, Dawson City, and the Chilcoot Trail should have been on the agenda. As a northern Canadian and Indian, I am insulted.
  • spoonerdk21 January 2014
    Very disappointing. Too many nonsensical story lines which detract from what a mini series on this subject could be. The script was weak, the dialogue was not of the era, the costumes were 21st century and some things just did not make sense or were completely unbelievable. Somebody needed to do a little more research on the subjects. When our hero fell out of the boat into the river, in the first episode, he would have probably died from hypothermia before the wolves even chased him. In the second episode our heroine could have reported the killing she witnessed to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police rather than let her competitor lumber mill operator continue to threaten the town. This series is a good example of how Hollywood can take a great subject and throw it right in the mud. I almost lost my stomach when the story line went so far as to interject antisemitism, race issues and women's suffrage into a show which I dialed in to be entertained. I watch TV not to be manipulated by the social engineers but to enjoy a good story. I don't think I can watch the third episode.
    I lived in Alaska for many years. This show was disappointing. It was overly dramatic and very unrealistic. A man who falls in the Yukon would have frozen. My music teacher got his feet wet and died of hypothermia, the guy on the show was fully immersed and never built a fire afterward. Wolves don't attack people!!! My dad saw only one wolf the entire 16 years he lived, hunted and trapped in the bush and only because it was upwind. As soon as he clapped his hands it was gone in an instant. They're elusive. It seemed really similar to Game of Thrones, but I accept that show is unrealistic...it has dragons after all. I was hoping for more historical accuracy with this show.
  • The show is slow moving because it is supposed it is supposed to accurate. I believe it is based on a novel by Jack London who visited the Klondike to write about it. Richard Madden is the main character and plays it well except that he hates to wear hats as a personal matter. He was a character in Game of Thrones crossing the frozen landscape and did not wear a hat. Stupid thing to put up with. That show has a powerful ending including a couple minutes of the credits but you have to watch the entire show to get the ending. My suggestion is to record it and binge watch it. remind yourself that the show is supposed to give you a snapshot of many situations that happened in the gold rush.
  • wildtswelding22 January 2014
    I found it very compelling. It was raw and fit with the times back then. Yes there was race issues back then. Hell there was people from all walks of life that made the journey there. People fought over claims back then. It was lawless back then. The Mounties were way outnumbered do you really think they was going to pick a fight in such a desolate place. Most people these days have gotten to soft. You can't say this, you can't believe that. Last time I checked it's a free country. It's takes all kinds of people to make the world go round. Discovery Channel has done a fine job with this one. Great cast and directed masterfully.
    I was looking at this show with great interest, as my grandfather and his brother first killed a bunch of horses on the White Pass (Dead Horse) trail. Then they hired out as packers on the Golden Staircase of the Chilkoot. Great Uncle Rudy became a popular druggist in Dawson City; Grandpa worked his way through Stanford by taking alternating years as an electrical engineer in the Yukon.

One time Uncle Rudy had a shipment of drugs wrecked coming upriver. Grandpa pushed a sled a couple of hundred miles salvaging them because he couldn't get any doge.

I liked the first two episodes pretty well, although there were so many howlers ... Bill not freezing to death; people being shot with no consequences, being that the Mounties had the lid on the town; wolves attacking people; I'm not sure that the Mounties were at the top of the Chilkoot enforcing the supply requirements at the very beginning of the Gold Rush. The winter of 97 had the city on starvation rations.

Belinda Mulrooney can be googled. She was not lovely. Looks like she could have been a programmer in Silicon Gulch 40 years ago.

Father Judge, the "Saint of the Yukon", bought two and a half acres for his St. Mary's Hospital when he came to town from where he had been assigned downriver. After his singlehanded first year, he had nuns for nurses. The show showed his grave marker with an 1898 date. He actually died of pneumonia in 1899. He can also be googled and looks much more refined in his photo than the wild-looking character.

The show jumped the shark in the third episode. The Canadians had partnered with the Indians for a hundred years in the fur trade with a lot of intermarriage; The Yukon was not the Wild West with hostiles behind every bush. All of the action was ludicrous. Shooting at an elk with the muzzle right next to a guy's ear. Armed robbery in a tent cabin by an easily identified person. The way they left town ... It would be easier and less dangerous to catch a steamer in the spring.

I would have really enjoyed seeing our heroes meeting and coping with the real Soapy Smith in Skagway. He never got to Dawson, and the show version was a buffoon.

I watch and enjoy "Reign". Completely unhistorical stories in a historic setting including non-existent hottie royal bastard half- brothers are fun to watch, if the show is actively and openly dealing in piffle. You don't expect it from a Discovery show that touts its verisimilitude.
  • I am not always a stickler about things being "to the book," but when it comes to history, accuracy is important.

1). Where are their belongings? The brutality of hiking the Chilkoot was the requirement to have 2000 pounds of goods, per person + enough supplies to build a boat at Bennet Lake, unless frozen at which point one needed a sled.

2). Soapy Smith never set foot on the Chilkoot Trail, let alone was he ever in Dawson City. He was shot to death in Skagway by Frank Reid. That would have made a great part of this story, had they developed the storyline in Skagway. They could have included Molly Walsh - as well as showing the camps at Canyon City and Sheep Camp to demonstrate how long it took these people to haul 2000 lbs per person to each camp (several trips back and forth).

3). The great Avalanche disaster happened on April 3, not at the end of June. The graveyard at Dyea is quite profound, considering how far away it is from the site of the actual disaster. The least the writers could have done was used the correct date.

4). Though the Pass was difficult, it was the lowest pass, cut through the mountains with a lake on the other side. In this show, they have them climbing up some mountain edge, in an endless mountain range that makes it seem as though these people were mountain climbers. In fact, they were entrepreneurs who chose the easiest route, so the film makers could have focused more on the hardships these people really did suffer, such as sever chafing, frost bite, horses who literally jumped from the cliffs, etc.

5). What about the scales? That was the neatest aspect of the trail. Once everyone got to the scales, if they had more than 2000 lbs, they immediately started throwing stuff away, right on the mountain. Today, it is an interesting garbage dump! Sad that the writers missed just about every aspect of the trail that was significant, important and perfect for great storytelling.

Some reviewers have said it was too short and I agree. Someone should make a mini- series out of Pierre Burtons "Klondike" because that was a compelling story.
  • I've read a number of great histories about the fur trade and am particularly interested in the period of western expansion between 1830 and 1910. I found cable series like "Hell on Wheels" about the building of the railroad and more especially, "Deadwood" a refreshing departure from the westerns of my childhood. They were absorbing, well written, had great characters, and contained details that approached the reality of the times. This one, Klondike, had high production values, I can say that much. But I couldn't get through to the end. I just gave up on the stiff and corny dialogue, the wooden characters, the incredibly soupy or awkward "romance," and the simple minded and predictable plot. It reminded me a little of the kind of historical dramatizations they used to make us watch in school. I'm not in school any more, and I expect something better.
  • Where do you begin? Soapy Smith was killed in Skagway and never made it to the Klondike. Most of the miners wintered on Lake Bennett and built boats that they used when the ice broke up. Dawson was VERY orderly, thanks to the immediate presence of the Mounties. The Indians were the ones that first discovered the gold, thanks to a reference from a White prospector, and to whom little credit was given. By the time people arrived in numbers, all the claims were taken up. Some moved on to other locations, but Dawson was over by the time the lead character got there. The gratuitous and silly violence shown in this farce drags it into the superficial and uninteresting. Don't waste your time on this one.
  • burrseiler21 January 2014
    This mini-series is by far one of the best I've seen on television. Being a Game of Thrones fan I'm enjoying seeing Richard Madden shining in another series as well. This show is dark, it has a certain GoT feel to it just set in the 1800's. The stunts are great and many are done by the actors themselves. Richard Madden said he has done all the stunts in this mini-series and hardly any CGI was used so he actually fell into that river and swam it in the freezing cold. The setting is beautiful and all natural landscapes, no studios were involved. The superb acting, fantastic stunts, and beautiful setting and interesting story makes me give this title a 10/10.
  • Man, six interminable hours! Tons of commercials. And, for what? Something that would've been much better in a two-hour documentary.

Discovery has done well with other projects, like "The Challenger Disaster" with William Hurt. But, they definitely chose the wrong people to helm this project! This whole thing is like a watered-down version of "Deadwood," or something like that. Just lots of ugliness with no real point. Tim Roth is, by far, the chief irritant here. He's doing his thousandth (or so!) portrayal of the sociopath who gets off on tormenting people before killing them.

Even though it takes pretty much forever to get there, the synopsis of this miniseries is: hard-working people mine for gold, and scumbags kill them off to get their gold. That's it! The script endlessly meanders and has no narrative thrust. The direction is uninspired. The cinematography is muddy. The score seems disassociated from the goings on.

In short, please skip it! (Unless this reaches you too late. Sorry 'bout that!)

** (2 Out of 10 Stars)
    We tried Klondike, suffered through two of three episodes, don't plan on watching the 3rd episode. The whole thing is dark (literally) and very hard to see action shots, who's in them, what's going on, etc. When it's not dark, it's too much background noise. The sound is poor, wasn't sorry Epstein left, never understood much of anything he said anyway, and the girl interest isn't much better. Discover Channel usually produces a better product than this and we hope their future endeavors live up to those standards. Not sure who's to blame for all the errors in the series but it only claims to be "based on actual events" and not "this is actually the way it happened." Overall all, we rate it 1 star. Is there a "0"?