User Reviews (982)

• John Wick has a very simple, maybe even laughable plot. It is a typical guy takes his revenge movie. It can be easily summarized as "Keanu gets pissed and shoots people in the face for 101 minutes" but the thing is you actually can see it is really Keanu who is doing it. Instead of shaky cameras and dozens of superfast cuts, you can see kick-ass long takes which are amazingly choreographed. Since this is their first film, the director duo has a few problems with storytelling but I am glad that they made me realize how much I miss watching an action movie and actually see what's going on.
    The best way I can describe John Wick is to picture Taken but instead of Liam Neeson it's Keanu Reeves and instead of his daughter it's his dog. That's essentially the plot of the movie. John Wick (Reeves) is out to seek revenge on the people who took something he loved from him. It's a beautifully simple premise for an action movie - when action movies get convoluted, they get bad i.e. A Good Day to Die Hard. John Wick gives the viewers what they want: Awesome action, stylish stunts, kinetic chaos, and a relatable hero to tie it all together. John Wick succeeds in its simplicity.

As an action movie buff, all I wanted to see in this movie is some inventive action sequences, and I was not disappointed. Every single action sequence in this movie is fast-paced, beautifully shot, fluid, intense, and you never have trouble understanding what's going on. The direction of this film is fantastic, as is the writing. There's no melodramatic soapy story lines - everything is straight and to the point, and the point is to get to the action. Not one moment in this movie is boring. The short dialogue is effective from getting to action sequence A to sequence B without any confusion as to any character's motive. It's all laid out in front of you - all you have to do is sit back and enjoy the insanity happening on screen.

Remember when Live Free or Die Hard came out and people were upset that John McClane only fired pistols throughout the entire movie? I like a little versatility when it comes to action heroes, and evidently so do the writers. John Wick wrecks face with pistols, assault rifles, shotguns, knives, even mano-a-mano; the man can do anything. The difference between John Wick and other modern action movies (Die Hard 5 and Taken 3 for instance) is that you actually believe John Wick is killable. He's not some invincible superhero like Bruce Willis was in Die Hard 5, having his car crash and flip like a hundred times and the second it stops he gets out without a scratch and starts running. No, John Wick takes a beating in this film. Numerous times in fact. But most of the time he's kicking ass and taking names, and instead of acting as some unstoppable killing machine, he just seems like a guy who's an expert in his field. He used to be a hit-man after all.

John Wick is a blast to watch. Really, it's just a mindlessly fun action movie. It has large-scale shootouts, CQC sequences, and a classic hero-villain hand-to-hand confrontation at the end. The only negative I can say about the movie is that the villains aren't anything to write home about. They're Russian mobsters which we've seen a million times, and their leader isn't given enough to work with as far as character goes. Willam DaFoe has a brief but important role though as Wick's former colleague.

Regardless, John Wick is all about the action and it goes above and beyond in every respect. It's a breath of fresh air after all the poor sequels we've been getting, and thankfully John Wick has the potential to be the next great action franchise. An absolute must-watch for action fans.
  • John Wick (2014) is the best revenge flick from Keanu Reeves of 2014 from The Matrix (1999) to John Wick (2014) another action fast paced, Entertaining slick action packed film, which kind I have never seen before. It is a very fun, straightforward action movie with an 80's sensibility. It's nice to see Keanu doing these types of roles again. It is one of my personal favorite Keanu Reeves movies. Keanu Reeves is a bad ass what a great action packed blood packed film. Movies should really learn from this on how to make a decent action film, especially with the crap we are getting today like escape plan bullet to the head and such. This film to me is the greatest action film to come out in this century. Keanu was phenomenal the action was so fast paced and exciting my jaw literally dropped as Keanu took out all the bad guys! I personally think this film is better then all Taken films combined. It was simply brilliant, it was made for 20 million dollars and I am glad it made 40 million in the US. I think this film deserved to make 100 million!

Old school action with no shaky cam. Definitely the best stunt-man-turned-director-debut I've ever seen. The story is set about John Wick (Keanu Reeves) a retired assassin, who gets dragged back into his field when the Russian Mob put a hit out on him, but instead of killing John, they steal his classic Mustang and kill his newly acquired puppy. This sets John out to exact revenge on the whole mob in a no nonsense kind of way...multiple shots to the chest and one to the head for good measure type of justice. I've never seen a film where the gun play is this to the point and precise as this. I don't know what the body count is, but it's gotta be up there...way up there. Oh...and another thing...they actually reload the guns. Don't see that that often in films. It's got an all star cast of cameo/small roll characters, from Ian McShane, William Dafoe, and John Leguizamo, and I swear one of the bad guy henchman is that "Mayhem" Insurance guy. One of the Best Movie, that Keanu Reeves ever made. From start to finish. Non stop action, all scenes look very realistic. ( The best action movie of the year. )

I Love this movie so much I think the people behind this movie made a great astonish action movie. There are other things in the movie that I love so much. I even think John Wick is so much better than 47 Ronin (2013) that Keanu Reeves made. The most that I love in this movie is Adrianne Palicki as Ms. Perkins I think she did one of the best job portraying and playing the most memorable female assassin I have ever seen. Ms. Perkins made me realized and inspired me that there are a lot of women who choose occupation as a female assassin hired by the mob. There were a lot of female actresses who played an assassin but I have never see any women portrayed like that. Adrianne Palicki is a bad ass! She even played Lady Jaye in the G.I. Joe Team's covert operations a specialist in the movie G.I. Joe: Retaliation (2013) one of my favorite movies. The fight sequence between John Wick and Viggo Tarasov is real and very realistic I did not see any CGI in it. This wouldn't be an action movie without some action. There's plenty of it, and it's perfectly done. The The stunts are completely insane in scale. There is a lot of gun play and powder even the guys reload guns. There are even Daniel Bernhardt from Bloodsport II and The Matrix Reloaded in it. And he was perfect in here and the fight scenes with Keanu Reeves were well done by him. This is the first time In the movie I see Willem Dafoe been the good guy. I haven't seen him in decades playing the good guy since Platoon (1986) my favorite Vietnam war movie!

The last thing about the movie I want to say that John Wick was a dog lover and I love dogs. I love how he avenge the puppy's death by mobsters who killed him and than he saved another puppy from the animal shelter when he was wounded. He wasn't a superhero without any bruises on him he was wounded. Keanu Reeves did a wonderful job better than he did in Knock Knock (2015) I only hope they want screwed up the sequel and making much better action movie than the first was.

When sadistic young thugs senselessly attack John Wick (Keanu Reeves)-a brilliantly lethal ex-assassin-they have no idea they've messed with the wrong guy. With New York City as his bullet-riddled playground, Wick embarks on a merciless rampage, hunting down his adversaries with the skill and ruthlessness that made him an underworld legend That is the main plot the rating I am giving this movie is a 10/10 because It deserves it.
  • It looks as if the filmmakers realized that the public was sick of certain movies. Most movies nowadays are full of wire work, sci-fi, etc. often topped with icing made of needless or predictable background stories that add nothing. For example the beautiful girlfriend who gives the moral speeches or the troubled teenage daughter, who aren't present here.

Nothing of that is in John Wick. John Wick adds hardly a story, no character development, no needless character or background, no misplaced drama, no misplaced humor and not too much eye candy, nothing of that. What John Wick offers is action, action and more action. In fact, it is one long action scene, with some lines and close ups added. But that is not a problem. The directors promise action and deliver. While delivering they made it look good and convincing, without trying to be more, and they're smart enough to give the movie a satisfying beginning and ending.

And for those who claim that Keanu Reeves is a horrible actor..... you are right. But his blank expression is perfect for this movie. Leave the acting to the bad guys and the delicious guest part for Willem Dafoe.

If you're tired of movies with forced drama or loaded with CGI, John Wick will be a pleasant wake-up call.
    Keanu Reeve is John Wick. He's a deadly and unstoppable hit-man, and it shows. "John Wick" is short and to the point, but so much fun. At 1 hour and 36 minutes running time, there is never a dull moment in what may be one of the best action films of the year.

The film starts off quickly and never stops. It doesn't spend too much time on the backstory or development of Wick's life, yet it still succeeds so well in building up his character. Within the first 20 minutes, John Wick is called out of retirement when three robbers break into his home, steal his car, and kill his dog. Even before the action begins though, the film builds up so much suspense and gravity into who this "John Wick" is, resulting in a satisfying and exhilarating moment when his enemies realize he's back in the game.

While the plot may be simple and straightforward, it works sufficiently in setting up a situation where the rest of the greatness can happen - stylized and awesome fight sequences where John Wick goes through dozens and dozens of kills. Seeing this in digital IMAX really helped boost the mood of the film; the intense sound design and visuals, the slick fighting and choreography on screen. There's this one scene in the film where John Wick assaults his way through a club, and all those elements combined make it an absolutely incredible sequence to witness.

Besides John Wick and his fighting, the film does set up a very interesting world, thanks to all the other little details and characters it brings in. There is an organized system of those on the other side of the law, operating and exchanging "gold coins" while staying at bases such as "The Continental" hotel; this definitely allows room for sequels and spin-offs.

Still, Keanu Reeves is the star of the show, and this is the best I have seen him in quite awhile. Again, the story is straightforward and audiences know what emotional journey to expect, but Keanu displays a good amount of range in his portrayal of Wick that is still nice to see. Just like his character states, I'm thinking he's back. "John Wick" is an awesome and enjoyable action flick that I would recommend. RATING: [8/10]
  • Voeim11 November 2014
    Lesson learned: don't get on retired legendary hit-man John Wick's bad side. In the film of the same name, he goes back into action shooting up bad guys in a city where it seems that the cops have all simultaneously taken a vacation. Played by surprisingly youthful quinquagenarian Keanu Reeves, John Wick's style of shooting baddies is reminiscent of my days playing Whac-A-Mole, Duck Hunt, or any of those arcade games with the plastic guns. Wick is a vengeant superman, and this is the basis of the entire movie. Although he doesn't have a clear weakness that can be exploited like most heroes, Wick does get into enough trouble for the audience to be sincerely worried about him.

If you're planning on seeing John Wick because you like movies with clever or meaningful story lines, then you're going to be disappointed. If you are looking for raw well- choreographed action and machismo, then look no further. House Greyjoy's Alfie Allen stands out as villainous Russian mafia brat Iosef Tarasov, and Michael Nyqvist (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) plays Viggo, his mob boss father. Adrianne Palicki, Willem Dafoe, Ian McShane and Dean Winters round out a strong supporting cast.

Overall, I enjoyed John Wick as a pure action film. It doesn't have a storyline like The Matrix or Speed, but it was visually entertaining and the simplicity of the story allowed for appreciation of the action. This movie is manly and primitive, and proves that at the age of 50, Keanu Reeves can still mix it up as an action star.
  • At first glance, John Wick sounds like a terrible film on paper but with the slickness of Keanu Reeves' performance as the titular character and the sheer brilliance in its action sequences, this marks the best action film of the year and one of the absolute best in the past decade. Following a brutal home invasion that leaves his beloved dog murdered by thugs from his past, John Wick vows revenge on the ones who have taken what he loves most. Like I said, on paper, this seems like a direct-to-DVD slopfest starring John Cena but as a film with Keanu Reeves as the lead, it marks the very welcomed return for Reeves to the genre. John Wick is insanely fun, violently brutal and an overall romp especially for those disappointed by The Expendables 3. John Wick is propelled by Tarantino-esque dialog mixed with the swagger of action stars from the 70s. Reeves literally emulates cool in this film and does it with such confidence, that we don't even doubt the character...even when he kills countless bad guys with extreme force in some utterly ridiculous and implausible situations. We don't doubt it for a minute. This is EXACTLY what you want out of an action film. It is briskly paced, brilliantly shot and meticulously choreographed and keeps you wanting more and more. The supporting cast filled with the likes of John Legiuzamo, Ian McShane, and Willen Dafoe also keeps this film very interesting. These guys don't play good guys, hell, John Wick by traditional standards would be a bad guy in any other film. Every character is more ruthless than the next and pushes John Wick to be more ruthless than they are, creating a very cool dynamic between the character and the plot regarding the idea of how far is too far? However, don't expect some revelation from John Wick regarding the morality of bad and evil. This film wants you entertained and does so with brute force, it never lets up, not even for a second. One scene in particular that will have your blood pumping is a showdown between thugs and Wick in a nightclub. This action sequence remains the best in the film and will have you grasping your theater seat because of the sheer intensity of it. Overall, John Wick is slick, violent fun that turns into a remarkable, surprising film that will catch you off guard. It is THAT good. I highly recommend this film to action buffs especially but I'm sure those who just like a good movie will love it as well.
  • John Wick had been out awhile and at first I had little interest in seeing it as, for me, Keanu Reeves is generally whatever the opposite of a selling point is. However I kept hearing about how this was a bit of a throw back of an action movie and upon reading the connection between the director and Keanu, I thought I would have to put aside my preconceived notions and give this movie a shot.

The movie had two ex-stunt men (one of which was Keanu Reeves' former stunt double) helming this film. This resulted in a lot of practical effects instead of heavy reliance on green screen. Also familiarity with Reeves likely left the directors with a base knowledge with how far they could push the star. This left the film's action scenes clean, realistic, to the point, and a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

If I was going to break down the film's format, well it is of the "semi-generic Punisher type, ex bad ass comes out of retirement to take on other bad asses" type variety. It was 75% Japanese yakuza film, 20% Film Noir, and 5% video game. One stylistic element that jumped out at me right away was the choice to go with a narrow scope of field for focus. At first I thought maybe this was the projector in the theater but then I realized it was a choice made for the film. Normally this would annoy me slightly, and I suppose still did, as I am a big fan of depth of field, mise–en–scènes set ups (Citizen Kane is one of my favorite films). I came to terms with the stylistic choice made for this film as it reminded me so much of Eastern influences, in this case it was reminiscent of Zen ink and brush compositions, where the sharpness lies in where the brush first touches down and the edges disappear into an almost mist like effect.

While Keanu sold the action pieces well, he wasn't asked to do too much to stretch his stoic emotional range, which is just what the film required. He was pretty much perfect for this part if I had been for some reason been asked to recast this film, I would be hard pressed to find a better fit. This would have been right up Jason Statham's alley, however there is nothing more he could have added to it. There was something quietly instance about Reeves that made you feel that he was one not to be trifled with. Statham will always remind me of the character he played in Snatch, which was not at all overly menacing or intimidating. Rather, if I had my choice of an alternative, I would delve further into the Japanese gangster genre and extract Chow Yun-fat. Reeves was 49 in this film and still convincing as an ass kicker. Chow Yun-fat would have been ten years older, but that would have further added to the realism of a retired hit man that is unwillingly dragged back into the 'business'.

Speaking of performances, this film was full of great character actors from the action genre and otherwise. One of these performances that I was not overly fond of was that of Alfie Allen. You probably know him as the dickless Theon Greyjoy. He worked in the part in that he was highly unlikable, however I was not sure which accent he was trying to commit to. This brings me to another flaw of the film. Many of the baddies simply did not measure up to be worthy of the John Wick challenge. A spoiled brat son of a crime boss nor the crime boss himself, an old man that the film gave no hint as to any physical prowess until the anticlimactic final battle gave any feeling that the fight would go any other direction except to a single minded John Wick killing stroke.

I highly recommend this film if you are a fan of good action. This easily ranks as one of the pure action movies of 2014. Judged as just a movie, it is simple in story structure, but what it does it does very well.

Blarv Score out of 10: 8.8
  • James_De_Bello23 January 2015
    The only word that keeps coming back to mind when reviewing this movie is: exhilarating. The fun factor this amazing action film has is probably the highest of any movie this year. I could not stop myself from having a blast!

First and foremost, being also the first thing you notice, "John Wick" is self-conscious of what it is and doesn't, for not even one second, take itself more seriously than it should. Fortunately this doesn't shut out the place for character connection and empathy. People often think the two of these things exclude themselves, but that is not what I think and this movie is proof of it. It has such a genuine sense of fun and humor, so much so that you are often laughing WITH (not AT) the movie at the preposterousness of everything and at the same time feeling genuine tension for the characters you're rooting for. I know it sounds ridiculous, but every single f***ing kill by John Wick feels exciting and liberating, it was incredible how much I was rooting for him. To this contributes some stunning, fast-and-furious level action scenes that benefit amazingly by the practicality involved. Hats off to the director and the special effects guys for staging such a flawless string of adrenaline-pumping scenes, in particular to the director for the highly energetically stylish direction that never feels as a gimmick or out of place, yet instead makes everything all the more enjoyable. Furthermore this is one of the few movies in which sound actually stood out and contributed in making the film a great success. Keanu Reeves is perfect for the role and brings to the screen so much charisma I could not help but root for the guy. He is surrounded by a great cast too that has very fun moments on their own. If all of this wasn't enough, "John Wick" has some great original ideas and plays with them in the best way possible.

Despite having a blast in the theater and wanting to maybe see this movie again in a year or so, it isn't original, stylish or innovative enough to say: "we've seen this plot before, but not quite done this way". Yes it has its brilliance, but it is kind of cheesy, even if in a good way, and predictable. It doesn't rank up to a higher standard of action movie because of its straight-forwardness. It does have some stakes, but all in all there isn't really an overwhelming set piece or twist that makes it highly remarkable.

Obviously, that is not what it's aiming for and because of that I could recommend this movie to anybody, just go and have the best action entertainment fun in the theater!
  • John Wick is something special. It takes as much time setting up elaborate action sequences as it does the world with which it all takes place in. And what a world it is. It reminds me of Millers Crossing and it is cooler than any other recent attempt at noir. We are shown a criminal underworld where, if you are connected, many powerful people know who you are and show you respect. John Wick was connected but he got out. He is the rare killer who has found peace, and he is grateful for that peace. Some young kids steal that from him and he does what he does best, he wages a one man war against the Russian Mafia. It might sound like the film takes quite a leap but it all makes sense. The motives of John and the people who get in the way of his bullets are all very clear, even if it does come across as rather simple. That's the plot at it's most basic. Then there's the action. The film is directed by Reeve's stuntman from The Matrix, so this guy knows action. There are sequences that flow so smoothly it puts other action films and their quick cuts to shame. Keaunu moves so fluidly throughout the film and comes across as such a natural that the only disappointment is that we have not seen him like this before. Along the way are plenty of character actors, fans of The Matrix and The Wire will recognize a few people then there are more obvious ones like Ian McShane and Willem Dafoe. Everyone seems to be having a good time. That is another plus for this movie. It get's dark at times but overall it is quite fun, not very chipper, but fun. I cannot recommend this movie enough. I believe it is a must see for action fans and for anyone looking for something a bit different from the usual fare.
  • He never misses, he is literally unstoppable.... He's got a particular set of skills that would make Liam Neeson look like a catholic priest... Did I mention he shoots a priest in the leg? This action movie was "perfect"..... Is it in the realm of the best subjective movies of all time, Godfather, Shawshank or The Dark Knight? Well no but in terms of the genre it's self? I'm giving it a perfect 5 out of 5 Stars... Hell continuity was even good, the dialog was sound and had moments of humor at every beat, and Keanu actually shows some range... Yeah you heard that right, raaaaange.... Not only that Mr. Wick even takes time to reload again everything just worked perfectly with this movie... I don't have anything to nitpick... The supporting cast was even good, this is a perfect fun action movie.... Dammit I gotta see this again. Remember children when the boogie man goes to sleep, he checks under his bed for John %^$% Wick...
    This was the last time I watched a movie based on IMDb ratings. Seriously. If you are 15 years old , you may watch this pile of... otherwise... Acting sucks, gangsters are brainless idiots, plot is terrible. "Russian" language? Hollywood, can you at least once hire OK Russian-speaking people? Hellooo??!! Just "a few" notable moments:

John Wick is a killer, ghost man, he can kill three man armed only with a pencil, but somehow manages to overlook a couple of brainless thugs hack into his house, lets them beat the crap out of himself, kill his dog and steal his car, wow...

John Wick is so famous that even the policeman, the bartenders, the mafia, all the town knew him, but the son of a mafia boss for some reason did not even hear about him!

John Wick is very skillful , he managed to do impossible task, he can head shot everyone in the dark, but then he somehow manages to miss five times in a row at Iosef, incredible...

John Wick is a ruthless killer, he wants to kill everyone, but when he encounters a female assassin, he decides to leave her alive. How touching.

Viggo, mafia boss, hires most professional killers and puts 4 million bounty on John's head, but when he captures him, he decides to play a little bit and leaves him with only two imbecile guards, seriously?

If you have more than a couple of brain cells, do yourself a favor and do not waste time and money on this garbage.
    Based on the reviews I read in here, I was expecting much more from this movie. Yes the movie is action packed, but very much over done. Certainly not a quality movie by any means, with a weak story line. It was like being in an action game where the lead had unlimited lives....he is invincible no matter how many times he is shot! There are assumptions that we will understand the rules of the "committee", but these are never explained and we are left with very few answers the end. In light of the over the top and often excessive violence and killings, I must say Keanu Reeves' performance is the only highlight of the film. Overall however, a very weak story with unnecessary and excessive violence, and a plot that is more suited for a PlayStation game.
    My only guide to this movie was IMDb ratings which I'm sorry to say but are either being used ONLY by people with very low standards for movies or are somehow rigged.

I'm giving it 3 stars for whatever little entertainment value it had.

Movie begins by showing a regular guy spending good time with his girl friend. But he is not really a regular guy, he is a legendary baddie who criminals tell each other about as their bed time horror stories. Mafia is so scared of him, they call him the "boogeyman". Yet, armed burglars get inside his house and take him by surprise without any resistance from him.

But wait, he is a ghost, a shadow-man ... yet when he doesn't have a gun, he might as well put on a t-shirt that says 'piñata' because even lamers are beating the crap out of him all the time.

But wait, he is fast, he is ruthless and he is on a revenge mission ... yet rivals keep slipping out of his hands, he can't shoot anything unless the target somehow presents itself two feet from his pistol and he needs to be continually rescued by his only true friend who "our hero" doesn't give a damn about.

I think what failed this movie, for me, was the script. Period.
  • John Wick is one of those few movies a year that seemed like it would be absolutely terrible, but when you finally sit down and watch it, turns out to be incredible. Not only is it one of the most fun films of the year, but it's so much different than the action films we have today. It doesn't try to be inventive or over-the-top, it just plays to it's strengths.

I have never been a huge fan of Keanu Reeves. Even in The Matrix, which is a great film, his acting falls pretty flat to me. He hasn't showed me anything that can make him a true thespian on screen. But as John Wick, he's perfect. The role doesn't call for anything more than just being a likable bada**. Wick is a man dealing with the death of his wife and retirement of his past associations with assassins of sort. He finally feels like he get's closure with his wife and then it's all ripped away from him by the very gangsters he was once affiliated with. He goes on an absolute killing rampage. To say the body count adds up is an understatement. Wick goes to great lengths to find the people who took everything from him, but it's not exactly easy for him. Being someone who just came out of retirement means you may be a little rusty, well Wick is definitely that. That's one of the many things I appreciated about this film. It never seemed like he was blowing through these guys without danger. Sure he effortlessly kills plenty, but he also struggles with a few as well.

Killing a cute little dog would tick off anyone, so I don't blame the character for being mad, but I'm not sure there needed to be this many deaths. There are plenty of innocent security guards who die at the hands of Wick. At times, it just felt like a little too much for a revenge film. But I really loved all of John's interactions with people from his past. They all seem to be as surprised that Wick is killing again, as we are that this film turned out to be good. I thought it was a nice touch that the police officer simply let the fact that there were a bunch of dead people in Wick's apartment, go. Alfie Allen plays the main villain, and it seemed as though his storyline is very similar to that of Game of Thrones. He's constantly under-appreciated and so he wants to prove himself, but ends up doing something terribly stupid. It was also nice to see Bridget Regan from Agent Carter briefly pop up.

But besides the fact that the script was pretty weak and the body count was pretty high, the film is just awesome. The 'Drive' sounding music and score to go along with the breathtaking action sequences made for one helluva ride. Keanu Reeves should stick to these less demanding and fun action roles. Just don't try and do too much.

+Stunts & action

+Score/soundtrack

+Reeves makes it believable

+Villains aren't stupid

-Body count

-Weak script

8.4/10
  • utgard1422 November 2014
    Wow what a great surprise this was. I was told by a friend this was good but it's been awhile since I liked a Keanu movie so I was hesitant to try it. Retired hit-man John Wick (Keanu Reeves) loses his wife to cancer. After her funeral he receives a puppy she left him. A few days later some thugs, led by the son of a Russian gangster John used to work for, break into John's house. They beat him up, take the keys to his beloved car, and kill the puppy. They did this not knowing who he was; they just wanted the car. Now John Wick is out for revenge and the Russian gangster is trying to save his son's life by sending killers after John.

Keanu's great here. Glad to see him doing something watchable again. Willem Dafoe, Alfie Allen, Ian McShane, and Lance Reddick lead a good supporting cast. Michael Nyqvist was made to play villains. Even Adrianne Palicki was good. Oh and hey the beat-up guy from the Allstate commercials is in this. The stuff with the hotel for assassins and the way they all know each other was pretty funny. About the only problem I had with it was the unrealistic scene where the bad guy finally gets the upper hand on the 'hero' and doesn't kill him. This sort of thing is common in movies but it's always unbelievable and reminds me of the old James Bond villains. This is easily the best action movie this year. Possibly the best straight action movie since the first Taken. English-speaking action movies, that is. It doesn't reinvent the genre or anything but it's entertaining.
    I do not know what a lot of you others are drinking before you watched this attempt at a film but I will not be imbibing, that's for sure. There are comments in some of the reviews here that this will be a new cult film, that it is the best action film of the year etc etc etc. Sorry but 'fail' is the only word that comes to mind. The gratuitous and total violence is just pathetic and I might say a serious low point in American culture. Keanu has returned! From what? He looks like a very sad has been actor forced to not act so that the film maker can get his rocks off on this masturbation or a movie. I hope that the directors and producers of this garbage are duly banned from ever making another attempt. Seriously people, if you liked this film then you need to seriously look in the mirror. I mean really! If the mirror don't crack then just be thankful. If I had to find just one redeeming factor I would be very hard pressed. OK - I liked the little dog. YUK!
  • I thought this was one of the worst films of all-time. I only went to see it because it had an 8.3 rating on IMDb. Wow! It is still rated over 8.0 as we speak. Holy crapamole Batman! This film was boring, lacked ANY character depth, and wasn't amusing or visually interesting. I have literally never been so shocked at the poor quality of a movie script or character development.

Wow. This is the worst film I've seen in many, many years. And I'll tell you, it boggles my mind that MOST of you found it enjoyable. Just boggles my fracking mind.

And here is my tenth and final line so that I can post this review, which most people will dislike but a few random souls will agree with passionately.
  • It is B level action movie. You can easily remind of other movies like this. Equillibrium, District 13, The transpoter and many other action movies with handsome, heroic guy.

Keanu fights usually with guns in this movie. But it brings more body action into the shooting scenes, so it becomes more stylish. Great to watch it at home, not boring at all, if you don't expect something like 007 series with Daniel Craig or Born series. Keanu kept his face and body almost perfect, so he is still handsome and fit, good enough for the film like this. But the enemies have less impression. They are fine but not new, bit similar to villains from 90's action movies. I recommend this movie if you are looking for something easy and fun, and you've already watched every other great action movies like Born Ultimatium or 007 Casino Royal.
    First of all, there are obviously two versions of this movie, as reviews sway from "top notch" straight to "low bottom", deadly missing the golden average. I watched the second version. The movie "John Wick" exploits the idea of bad Russians, and how they are put in place by a retired hit-man (John Wick). The plot is extremely straightforward and would be easily fit for a video- or a computer game without any changes. There are no intriguing twists or any interesting supporting characters. Humour is absent completely, but for one small joke. Plenty of music, which has good tempo but a bit loud, as if movie-makers tried to compensate for bland taste with high decibels.

The mobsters are very well portrayed as degenerate half-wits with very basic vocabulary, making one to think that they really should be put in prison for mentally-challenged rather than brutally shot-up, quite frequently right in their silly heads. Speaking of which – shooting scenes are reasonably well orchestrated, but when it comes to hand combat, for some reason characters would forget karate, jiu-jitsu, kung-fu etc., and instead resort to classic wrestling which looks comical to me. All-in-all, I caught myself looking at the watch anticipating when the digits 23.00.oo appear. That's how interesting this movie was. And I do not understand why Keanu Reeves walked into this one.

********************FUTHER TEXT MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*******************

Just one thing – all killers/assassins in the state of New York know each other very well. The do not hide under false names in some forsaken motels/bungalows. No. They live large and, judging by John Wick, for years have been re-elected as local hit-man of the year. They also have this secret hide-out that happens to be a luxury hotel with all the perks, except a swimming pool on the roof-top (coming next year?). And they use this secret currency in a form of special coins (goodbye US dollar) that are so unique that no one can churn out a thousand of them per hour using basic stamping machinery and ruin their fragile assassin economy. Yeah. On top of everything police, FBI, CIA, and even NSA (now without Mr. Snowden, but still running strong) have no idea what is going on under their noses in the middle of New York. This was the moment the movie turned from bad action into bad comedy for me.
  • dramafreak4227 February 2015
    Whether or not you are going to enjoy this movie depends entirely on what it is you hope to get out of it. I fear for many it has been over-hyped, or just the high rating on the page leads folks to expect more than the movie is actually trying to sell. What it's selling is extremely well done action, and if you're content with just that then it will deliver in spades.

Keanu Reeves plays the retired super-hit-man John Wick. He's pulled back into the world he left behind when the arrogant and ignorant son of a mob boss roughs him up for kicks (it's a little more personal than that, but I don't want to spoil it.) This sends John on a rampage through an underground world of mafia figures and hired killers. It really is that simple.

While the plot is as bare bones as it gets, there's a surprisingly deep world being built. It's a world in which there is a hotel specifically set up for hired killers to whole up in while they're on the job. It's a world where a body clean up crew is just a phone call away. It's a stylized world to be sure, but it's an intriguing one as well. It also helps that it's populated by some recognizable faces. Just the casting of folks like Ian McShane, Willem Dafoe, and John Leguizamo turns what are fairly thin characters into something that works. Many of the actors bring a certain caliber just by their presence that makes this world work.

But really, you're here for the action. And it's stellar. Firstly there are wonderfully long takes, no rapid cut trickery here. You know exactly what's going on and where everything is. And I personally LOVE the fighting style that John uses. While he appears to be a decent shot, his tactic is to get in close and then pump his target full of bullets. It's actually been a long standing pet peeve of mine that in so many action movies, the bad guys (especially henchmen) go down with a single bullet to some unspecified part of the body. John Wick is a professional, and he takes no chances. Even one of the innumerable body guards is going to get three shots to the gut and two to the head, just so John can be certain that he doesn't have to deal with that person again. It's fast, it's efficient and it's thrilling.

The film loses a little big of steam towards the end. The natural climax of the film happens with about 20 minutes left to go, and the final action scene isn't as thrilling or as poignant as it wants to be. That said it's not a deal breaker, and the action scenes that come before the climax more than make it worth going through the slightly weaker ending.
  • What a great movie, This movie is a non-stop fun roller-coaster ride. I love Keanu Reeves. He is perfect in this film. This is the type of movie people will see over and over again. Waited in a long line to see it but it was well worth it. Amazing special effects, great acting, great everything. Best movie I have seen all year. Keanu Reeves is back after a long break and he is better than ever. This is like a combination of Speed and the Matrix combined. Directors Leitch and Stahelski have created a beautiful looking action picture, one that is large enough to deserve the IMAX experience.John Wick is the real deal. It is a amazing action picture, filled with strong performances by a cast, along with superb action set-pieces and a genuinely interesting world to boot. Reeves commands the screen and reminds us why he is still a genuine movie star.
  • theedeepwood623 February 2015
    2014 has not been the best year for movies. There are many movies like this one, shoot em up type of things. The expendables was one of them, and from the previous 2 films, this one did not excite. All 3 of them in my opinion are terrible. Many of these types of movies are terrible, with the plot being too cliché or unable to make sense with, or it is too unrealistic. This movie was much different.

When I first saw the trailer I was happy to see Keanu Reeves back, for he had not come out with many things since the Matrix. Then I realized what the movie consisted of and my emotions changed quick. I went to the theater hoping it was at least better than the expendables or any other movie that is like that, but it was entirely different. The plot i admit was cliché, and the fact that John Wick could kill that many people and survive is a little ridiculous, but the movie is very enjoyable! The actions scenes are amazing and very fun to watch. Keanu Reeves is perfect for this role, and this is probably going to be a reboot to his career. He does not disappoint in this movie, in fact, this is in my opinion his best acted movie. If this movie didn't have good acting in it it would not be as good. There are some flaws to the movie as in any other, but I can honestly say that this is one of my favorite movies of the year.

This film is rated R, and for a reason. There are an occasional F bomb, and no sexual themes in it. The movie is rated R for violence. There is some blood spray when people are being shot, or from being beaten. There are also some mature thematic material in the movie involving the death of his wife due to I believe is cancer or some other disease, and the brutal murdering of his dog that was given to him by his wife. Now take note that the movie revolves around the dog and john getting revenge on the people who killed it. I would strongly recommend not showing this movie to anyone under the age of 14.

Overall this movie is excellent. It doesn't take much thinking to watch, but definitely excites. If you love movies, GET IT ON BLURAY. 9/10
  • I know it is too late to warn you not to go see this movie. But still, I am writing this review to express my disappointment, and to say I have no idea why this movie can be rate 7+ here. There must be something wrong.

I am a big fan of Keanu. And I do not mind action movie with simple plot, as long as it looks cool. Nevertheless, I was brought down big time.

The plot is unbelievably ridiculous. It will leave you amazed, wondering if whether someone pro-read the script before they made it a movie. No twist, no surprise, no character development, nothing thrilling or exciting whatsoever. It is utter boredom. I felt intelligently insulted, to be honest.

And the action does not look cool either. Seriously, if you expect something like, let's say, Taken, you will be massively disappointed. John Wick does not really fight. He shots randomly, move randomly, and grunts, and moans. Nothing else. Everything cool about him is what you heard the others say before the fighting starts.

I hope this review can actually reach someone, and help to stop them from wasting their time watching this movie. I genuinely do.
  • This is one of those movies that makes you get out of the theater and you want to kick someone. It's full of action, no excessive drama, no background history asides from the fact that everyone has to be scared of John Wick just by pronouncing his name just like "The Boogieman".

Keanu Reeves is perfect for this role, no expressions, no feelings, just a couple of lines and shooting a lot of bullets, very precisely by the way, the real acting is on the hands of Willem Dafoe (sort of). Alfie Allen is kind of on the same role as the one in Game Of Throne, sorry but I have to say it, I watched him and can't stand thinking about how he's useless here too.

For an action movie I really like this one... and I'm thinking who's better John Wick or maybe Bryan Mills?