User Reviews (81)

• I laughed. I cried... okay, I didn't cry, but this movie actually wasn't bad at all and the neither was the acting. The plot was funny and obviously done many times before, but I enjoyed the cast chosen for the roles and I enjoyed the movie all together as a whole. I watched it on Netflix and if you have a Netflix account I would recommend that you do the same!I wish IMDb would update their rating system. Let us type in a number from 1-10, so we can adjust the rating and not just give it a 6 or an 8. I want to say that this movie isn't a 7, but its better than a 6. So I would say that it is a 6.5! Enjoy !
  • Everything is technically fine here. Good acting, surprisingly solid special effects and it looks pretty good. But the actual content of this is quite tiresome. It doesn't want to go fully goofy like Hell Baby but also doesn't want to be a full-on horror. It wants them both and that's when it started to grate on me.

This part they want to be funny, this part is supposed to be scary and then we're supposed to care about the characters. Perhaps someone could or has pulled off these tonal shifts successfully but this movie does not. It's boring, predictable and neither funny nor scary.

I'm starting to feel like Netflix wants more original scripted movies but isn't doing a very good job of deciding what is actually good. Don't watch this. It's not terrible, it's just not worth anyone's time.
  • I wouldn't have watched this if I hadn't loved "Tucker & Dale vs Evil" by Eli Craig, which like "Little Evil" is a parody of a horror sub-genre. Unfortunately this film is entertaining enough that I was never bored, but it lacked the creativity and fast- paced humour a premise like this should have.

It begins promisingly with a lot of funny jokes, but after the first 15 minutes, the jokes kind of take a backseat to the exposition, and the humour becomes less crafted, and more akin to an Apatow joint. Adam Scott is great as usual, and though I expected his sidekick Al to be incredibly annoying, Bridget Everett was having so much fun I warmed to her after a while, Clancy Brown is also good. The rest of the cast is pretty average, Kate from LOST phones it in, and Turk from SCRUBS is distracting, as he's cast as one of the 3 useless comic relief step-dad friends that never have an impact on the story. The kid that played Lucas was also really awful, even by the standards of child actors. Why didn't anyone give this kid better directions. Nothing he or any of the other child actors said or did were well-done at all.

The direction was much better than any modern Apatow-esque comedy. Craig used a lot of horror conventions to his advantage and I wish the script he wrote paralleled his direction, even if the cinematography still looks like a cheap Netflix film. He does however, use identical speed-cutting transitions to Edgar Wright that is incredibly distracting, like with the same sound effects and pacing and everything.

The structure was not great, it lumbered in parts and then sped through the climax at an insane rate. The film also stops several times and repeats aspects, like expositional scenes.

I wish this were as strong as "Tucker & Dale" which I strongly recommend, yet "Little Evil" lacked a great supporting cast, or any innovative way to spin the subject matter. Instead, it's just a funnier version of the Omen, which was already kinda funny to begin with.
  • Adam Scott, Evangeline Lilly, Clancy Brown, Tyler Labine, Donald Faison in a comedy horror?! Sign me up I thought, this is going to be incredible I assumed. I was wrong, I was very sorely wrong.

It tells the story of a man who marries only to start believing his step son to be the anti-christ. Hilarity was supposed to ensue, why didn't it ensue?

You see when it's funny it's funny, in fact in a few places it's hilarious but the vast majority of jokes miss their mark to embarrassing degrees. The film is full of unlikable characters, the plot is rushed, the editing is shoddy, the soundtrack is baffling and for some reason they though adding Edgar Wright transitions would be a good idea.

I mean come on! A comedy horror with that roster! How did you balls it up to this extent? I cringed multiple times throughout the film, why is it so bad?

On paper this is diamond dust, in reality its a soiled cubic zirconia.

The Good:

Great cast

Some decent ideas

The Bad:

Everything is executed poorly

Concept is wasted

Soundtrack is confusingly awful

Just not funny

Things I Learnt From This Movie:

Eli Craig needs exiling from the movie industry

Someone shrunk ACDC's Brian Johnson

When Evangeline Lilly is made to be unlikable in a film it's game over man, pack up your stuff and get the hell out!
  • meri10223 September 2017
    This film is hilariously entertaining if you recognize the intended allusions, particularly the nods to THE OMEN. Adam Scott and Owen Atlas are charming as step-father and son, especially in the water park scenes. Evangeline Lilly is surprisingly perfect as the ditsy mom; she delivers her lines with impeccable comic timing. I've never seen her outside of LOST and her performance here is spot-on. Yes, some bits are campy and silly, but the overall message is touching and relevant.
  • I'm not going to lie; I was kind of disappointed with this one. I had such high hopes for another Tucker N Dale Vs Evil type horror comedy. It's not a bad film, but the laughs were a little too few and far between for me. It had its moments but just wasn't consistent. I will say there are a few genuinely touching moments though, which I wasn't expecting, so it had that going for it.

Part of me thinks this one might get better upon repeat viewings. I'm not really sure why I feel that way, maybe it's because I wanted to like it more than I did.

Worth a watch, but if you were as excited as I was to see this one, lower your expectations.

My Rating: 5.5/10
  • Listen, I'm all for brevity for it's own sake, particularly when it comes to concept-heavy comedy-horror hybrids, which often mistake an inspired concept for an interesting plot. Here however, this movie gets going before the audience has any clue what's going on, forcing the screenplay to force-feed its own narrative history into the dialogue, which results in stiff, clumsy interactions. Adam Scott is wasted in his role here, bringing his usual befuddled charisma but finding nothing to work against. It's a shame because there's a story to be told here, it just didn't happen well this time.
  • scythertitus3 September 2017
    The first thing to say is that the first two acts of this movie really struggle to truly find the line between horror and comedy. It tries to find comedy in a normal person reacting to a devil child, but that is pretty much every possession horror ever so there isn't much new ground there, and the attempted comedy often falls flat while also taking away from the potential actual creepiness of the scene. It's easy to rule this out as a failed attempt at recapturing the Tucker and Dale vs. Evil vibe.

But then the third act happens and the movie really comes into its own. The humour and tension are amped up and instead of being a shadow of dozens of horrors and a shadow of dozens of comedy it becomes its own movie and is much better for it. There is even a great message about the difference between nature and nurture and there are some good original ideas that make it much more enjoyable.

Overall it is a shame you have to wait for the third act to get going, especially since they show the catalyst for this momentum shift at the very beginning. You could argue they need the first two acts to set up for the third, but if so then they should have focused more on the comedy since there are way too many evil/possessed child films to care about getting that part right. Still though it's hard not to recommend this movie since the third act is really enjoyable, I just wish they could have gotten there sooner. Maybe just skip to that point.
  • The trailer for "Little Evil" was hilarious. Unfortunately, there isn't enough material here to sustain a feature length film. Forty minutes in I found myself looking at my watch ... and I don't even wear a watch. I was hoping for "Zombieland" but alas, I got "Krampus".

If you like the supernatural horror genre and horror/comedy mashups in particular, "Little Evil" is still worth a viewing, not least to catch the abundant allusions to "The Omen," "The Shining," et al. All others should pass this one by.
    I would like to think that if a teacher commits suicide at school, they don't try to blame the new stepdad of the kid, and use the power of the state run school to force that stepdad to go to therapy. I would like to think that if a birthday clown accidentally catches on fire, they wouldn't blame the stepdad as if he somehow caused it, and then use the power of the state to force an evil social worker into their home. And finally, I would hope that if the rapture is coming and an evil cult wants to kidnap and murder the kid, we could at least count on the police NOT taking the side of evil, instead of arresting the legitimate stepdad.

I would also hope that if I had a stepson bury me in the backyard, my wife would not somehow find a way to blame me for that. And I would hope that her idiot friend would not spew such vitriolic hatred at me.

Bad writing. Good concept, but incredibly bad writing.
  • mistoppi9 September 2017
    I was browsing through Netflix when I found Little Evil, which had come out recently. It seemed like a fun horror comedy, perfect for the day, so I decided to watch it.

There are many things I like in Little Evil, but it doesn't go above average. Of course the idea isn't original, isn't this a play on very typical stories about kids who seem to be the spawn of Satan. Most of them are actual horror movies, though. Little Evil mixes that horror story with the theme of being a stepparent in a humorous way, which itself is fresher than the movie might feel when you read the summary.

But in the end the story doesn't go where you'd want it to go. Of course some of the plot points are good, and the movie is fun and light, and there's something very special about it. But in the end the only thing this movie ends up being is somewhat funny. Everything else is actually quite superficial, and let's be honest, the humorous side probably wouldn't be as good if you watched this movie several times.

So definitely worth seeing once, if you're not too serious for horror comedies, but that's all.
  • joannecarolcarter3 September 2017
    It's a wet Sunday afternoon and this was the top title on Netflix.

We weren't sure if it was a kids film - looked like one but there was no classification on Netflix or on here.

I started watching it with my daughter (9) - it's not a scary movie and in some places it's quite funny, so OK for children in that respect, then there's the swearing, if there was no swearing it would be a perfect kids film for the 8+ age group.

So all in all an OK Sunday afternoon movie, family movie? well, if you can bypass the swearing then it's a funny family film
  • Since Netflix started making its own movies and shows, they have pretty much been justifying keeping the monthly subscription, despite their increasingly pitiful movie collection. With programs like House of Cards, Orange is the New Black and the Marvel shows, they stand out among the pay streaming services that try to seduce cord cutters.

Of course though, as this particular movie points out, they can't all be home runs. The first mistake was, this showed up in the horror movie category. Really, the best place for it is comedies but a very dark comedy at that.

The movie was all over the place with what it was trying to be. If I could sum it up, I would say maybe a very loose adaptation of The Omen (which is actually referenced), except with less scare and more attempts at jokes that mostly fall flat and attempts at action, where they have zero knowledge of competent stunt work and special effects. Then there is the family aspect, which is meant to be heartwarming but mostly comes off cheesy, due to the abrupt changes of tone throughout.

The 2 main actors are decent enough and they are well known. Most of the other actors are forgettable and one dimensional.

If this seems interesting to you, there may be some entertainment value to keep you occupied. If however, you're looking for Netflix's next great thing, this ain't it.
  • larsbrekke1 September 2017
    It was an okay movie, i really like Adam Scott's previous works but this time he didn't get to me. The humour is alright, most of it isn't funny but weird and childish. (the dark humour in this movie is terrible) Bridget Everett is playing as lesbian stepdad ''AL'' and are ''Gary's'' (main person)helping hand in stopping the Antichrist. In most of the scenes ''Al'' is just cringe-worthy. It was kind of a brain-dead movie,no real reason to pay attention to details. But again, the movie was watchable and got a few scenes that will give you a grin.
  • A very fun horror comedy, but leans more on the comedy side. Parodies many classic horrors in a very unique way and has quite a lot of laughs.

The acting was quite good, particularly Adam Scott. He suited the role and brought some flavour to scenes. Bridget Everett was hilarious and plays quite a different type of character than usually expected. They both carried the film. I wish the mother had a bit more personality, it just seems as she is there to fulfill her role. She definitely needed more screen time to flesh out her character.

However, the cinematography is very conventional and bland. It is important part of a film and is lacking. Many jokes could have been even funnier with creative cinematography or editing. Though it is worth watching for both horror and comedy lovers.
  • It's a parody of the "evil child" cinema horror genre. It's also meant to be a comedy. It misses the mark entirely on both counts. A few might enjoy a chuckle or two but what we have is BAD, My honorable ex thought things we "serious" throughout this film. In fact, it so bad it made my ex-husband chuckle once...and I divorced that half-wit humorless bastard for a reason. He's +! stupid. SFX... pretty good. "Al Camino" also made me chuckle. Instilling a nice message amidst a stanking landfill of already-done-tropes... pretty good. Plainly sensible people, avoid this.Also, avoid single mom's, I've been warning folks they're dangerous,
    I am writing the review in the middle of the movie, but I don't think the second half will change anything in terms of what I want to say. I found the idea interesting and decided to watch the movie. It has its perks. It has nice ideas like people going on with their everyday stuff although they know it's the end of the world and the kid actually is the Antichrist etc. However, the execution somehow misses something. It's not scary when it intends to be scary, neither it manages to be funny when it intends to be so. I wouldn't call it a waste of time, but it's not as good as Tucker & Dale vs Evil by the same writer/director. After finishing the movie: It would have been badass if the kid were not saved and actually brought about the apocalypse.
    And Wow... It's F..k it, F..k it, F..k it and F..k it more... It was one of the worst clickbait trailers I've ever seen.

Disappointed in NETFLIX for even greenlighting this movie.

The best/"funny scenes" are in the trailer, the movie is nothing like that. I'll even say that the first half is decent and sometimes funny but the rest is AWFUL. The only positive thing from the movie is Adam Scott, even Evangeline Lilly (with her perfect body/sex appeal/the most amazing butt can't undo what I just saw 2 minutes ago.

I can't continue, just pick up a pencil, use a pencil sharpner to sharpen it and then poke your eyes after the first half.

That's it.
  • I watched this Netflix Original for one reason only, Eli Craig. Seen his flick Tucker And Dale vs Evil (2010) it's still one of my all time favorite horror comedies. So when i saw the advertisement of his next comedy I was ready for it.

Have seen Little Evil I was left with mixed emotions. As a movie itself on part of the script it wasn't that bad after all and there are a lot of references towards the old school horrors like The Omen (1976) and Poltergeist (1982) amongst others but I didn't laugh one moment, even as there are a few moments intended to be funny but for me it wasn't.

There aren't any funny moments or awkward ones like in Tucker And Dale which made that one hilarious. The comedy here lays in the words spoken. Or the action they are going to take against their children (the sh*t scene).

A mediocre flick with for me no comedy at all, sad because it could have been so much fun.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 2/5 Story 2/5 Comedy 0/5
  • agent-374554 December 2018
    So so
    It's something to watch. Doesn't make you care either way about the kid.
  • Lukas' headmaster should have been played by Christopher Walken.

Adam Scott is a shoo-in for when they make 'Steven Gerrard- My Score-y'

Evangeline Lilly keeps me warm on lonely dark evenings.

This film is silly but achieves what it sets out to do, namely amuse and poke fun at The Omen-type creepy child films.

There was a moment where I feared it'd decanted into full mawkish sentimentality but it just about avoided it.
  • Ok, so the movie it worth watching, got some funny moments, keeps the entertainment up, but it is lacking a lot of something. The humor could be more, the plot could be less translucent, and the characters could use a little more development. But all in all, it's a fun flick, good if you like horror, especially good if you're a fan of horror-comedy. But man, that female lead character is more annoying than a goat's head stuck to the jimmies. Because not only is she STUPID as hell, but she is completely oblivious to ANYTHING wrong about her son, or anything at all with her surroundings. Makes for a totally unbelievable and frustrating character. Still, fun flick. Check it out.
  • As a horror movie fan, this movie is absolutely hilarious. If you've seen horror movies where a child has a demon within it, you'll understand the humor. The mom being oblivious to her child clearly being evil, the child with an imaginary friend, etc.

I honestly never laughed so hard in a dark comedy. Watch it and just appreciate the humor
  • mariannlydvo18 February 2018
    Nah
    This movie is probably meant to be humorous and a bit satirical. Perhaps it´s also meant to be filled with clichès and stereotypes. However, I didn´t really enjoy this. In my opinion, when horror and humor team up together, it makes for the worst movies. Horror and humor alone are generally mediocre movies, so mixing them together really doesn´t work for me.
  • kcin_938 September 2017
    This film has a writer/director that I like (Eli Craig, Tucker and Dale vs Evil), a cast I like (Adam Scott, Donald Faison, Clancy Brown), and a premise I like (horror-comedy about stepdad whose stepson is the Antichrist), yet still it manages to be mediocre and that's just upsetting.

I really wanted to like this movie, and from watching the trailer I was sure I would. But about 20 minutes into the actual film I realized that I was going to have to coast on the relative "Meh." feeling I had for the next hour. There is no bigger sin for a comedy than to be unfunny and 'unfunny' is exactly where this film lives. All of the jokes are cliché or just uninspired. Watching this movie for a laugh is like taking horse tranquilizers for energy. The comedy is just not there, and that hurts the movie a lot.

The acting isn't great either. I wasn't expecting anything fantastic given who we've got, but almost everyone seemed to be giving it their C game. Adam Scott was fine, playing the 'straight man' which is a shoe he fits into well. And Owen Atlas as the Antichrist stepson was actually not bad. Pretty good for a child actor. Everyone else was pretty much just there. Bridget Everett was particularly grating as the 'rad bro' best friend. Her character mostly consisted of the single gag, "look at me, I'm a hick who likes monster trucks, so rad. Let's slam some beers bro". Could have used far less of her.

I can't really hate this movie cause it's not like it isn't redeemable at times. Adam Scott carries the movie well enough, I like the kid, it's not incompetently made, and every so often there's a scene that works as intended. It's just that the negative outweighs the positive with this one and at the end of the day what was turned out was a considerable disappointment. It gets one or two touching moments well, but there's just no helping a horror-comedy that isn't funny. The characters are dumb, the plot feels very rushed after the first hour, the acting isn't good overall, the few visual effects are terrible, and the whole thing feels like one cliché after another being strung along for 95 minutes. Not a fan.

PROS - Adam Scott. Owen Atlas is good. Has some nice moments. Mr. Krabs is in it. Competently made

CONS - Boring. Unfunny. Cliché. Bad acting. Everything about Bridget Everett. Rushed 3rd act. Bad visual effects.