User Reviews (510)

I wanted to like this show, I really did. But when the writers consistently try to treat me like I'm a nine-year-old with ADHD, it gets old. Plot holes in this series are ENORMOUS.

Who pays to keep S.T.A.R. Labs open? Who is feeding the meta-human prisoners and where do they shower? Why can Barry run faster than a bullet but not a flagpole being swung at him? There is obviously no one at the writers' table who is an actual scientist. It is apparent by the plethora of scientific errors. (500 proof alcohol? "Knots per mile?") The dialogue is really, really bad. For example, "Barry. Run." The chemistry between characters is forced. Plots are the same each week, save for a different villain.

And consistency is a problem. Only when a punch line is needed do Barry's sneakers flame up after running or (to get her to take off her shirt) Felicity's blouse catch on fire.

All in all, I am really amazed by how bad the writing on this show is and yet how highly regarded it seems to be on IMDb. To say The Flash is written more poorly than The Dukes of Hazzard or Love Boat would be an understatement.
    Sry for my English - i am from Germany!

I'm still watching this sh..t, just because i like the flash and there are some good animations where he moves fast. I don't have anything against the actors -still they upset me sometimes with the artificial drama. The most annoying is the story - the logical things. They try to force so much science into the episodes but they violate the basic laws of physics at the same time.

For example: Why must flash punch the giant gorilla with his hand??? Pick a f...g steel bar, speed up to mach-8 and punch the gorilla with the steel bar - that would be clever! Punching the gorilla with the hand on mach-8 is just stupid and you risk damage to the hand, nobody would do that - and you can apply this example to every episode!

Then there is "Mr. Cold" or whatever he is called. He is not even a real enemy to the flash. He cant do sh..t against flash with his canon. And why does flash have to run into the ice-cannon and fire-cannon at the same time to defeat the villains? Again do the same trick with the steel bar (like with the gorilla) and there would never be a problem.

There is something the writers and directors need to understand: The flash is so fast that it is difficult to find a real enemy for him. Still this is the challenge - to find a villain who beats flash with speed or with his cleverness - the reversed flash was a nice try (with his dead again not being logical).

No creativity, no logic - just stupid scripts.
  • Pushing too much drama into a super hero story and ruining everything. To make it interesting to some stupid people or the director himself, characters start behaving awkwardly in respect to their personality. And, what is up with Iris thing? She became a super smart bad ass from a news reporter now? I wish she was killed by Savitar and there was less drama. Director is pushing drama everywhere, and most of them are not needed. It has become an idiotic series. Now on the 8th episode of season 4, what the hell happened from last episode? Why the hell do you need to bring homosexuality to it in one single episode? No offense on homosexuality but is all these really needed on those scenes? Just injecting these like injecting Barry and Iris marriage plan drama and Joe becoming father drama, and even sometimes Wells singing and dancing drama and everyone is joining? What the hell is this? 1977 family drama series or 2017 super hero one? WAKE UP! I had given it 9 star rating till season 3.. after watching these episodes of season 4 I can give it more than 4. WATCHING THIS IS A WASTE OF TIME !
    "My name is Barry Allen and I am the fastest man alive" - But every other speedster on the show is 100000000 times faster than this piece of poorly written and played character(even the new speedsters who just got their speed). "I hunted down the man who killed my mother" - No duh you did. He didn't even remotely hunt him down, it's actually the opposite way around and in the end it was not even him who defeated the reverse flash. It was because of eddie the reverse flash was defeated. And Gaaaawwwddddd !! The actor is terrible.He always talks as if he's got a tampon size ice cube up his arse. Not to mention the writing of the show is so cringeworthy, the flash heavily depends on other character's advice to use his powers. The flash himself is an intelligent personality who can figure counter measures on his own. Remember with his ability to run faster came the ability to think faster and better.

This show gets pretty REPETITIVE. A new villain shows up in an episode -> Flash shows up -> Gets beating -> Runs like a pussy -> Takes advice from his friends -> They come up with some lame and pretty basic advice -> Flash returns to villain with his new "move" and you know how it goes. What is this ? Power rangers ? This series is not even remotely close to the comic version of flash. Just a bunch of immature people getting together to destroy a good comic character. For the people who are watching Flash for the first time- Please do not judge flash's powers based on this series. This is an utter disaster and the Flash is not as dumb or whiny as they depict him in this show.
  • If you had asked me a couple of years ago what the best super hero TV show at the time was, I would have said The Flash.

The show started excellently well with a gripping pilot and a good story line. It starts with how Barry Allen becomes The Flash starting with how he gets his powers, then learns how to use/control them and then tries to solve the mystery of his mother's death to avenge his father. Overall season 1 was superb! Season 2 was weak when it comes to the story line but the excitement of seeing new metas, cross over episodes and 'team flash' developing some individual abilities of their own makes watching the season worthwhile.

Season 3 has been average at best and my rating of flash that started from a full 10 has dropped to 7 over two years. Constant time traveling and meddling with things not only gets confusing in my opinion, but also makes you lose interest.

I would definitely recommend people to give this show a go (especially if you are a DC fan) but the eventual and constant decline of the show is pretty obvious as you go on with the episodes.
    This show really makes you wish to be able to go back into the mind of a little child. Unfortunately, if you have an IQ higher than that of a 6 year old or are not a complete idiot, you will witness the absolute murderfest of a character you may have held dear and loved all your life.

The writers absolutely POOP right on the most basic writing rules. They are write themselves into corners, then just go to cheap tools to erase it, only to write themselves into the next corner.

So it happens that the Flash is fast enough to vibrate through a gasoline truck, hell, he's even so fast, that he goes back in time! But... wait, there's a guy with some bees, and the Flash is powerless. Oh noes, a guy who has little toys that will follow you: Flash is powerless. A guy with a gun that shoots a ray of ice that travels slower than the water of a waterhose? Flash is powerless. Oh, did I say that the Flash can catch a bullet that is being shot at the back of his head, without turning around? Yeah, that is no problem.

But everything else is. So he relies on a team of specialists, who work in a high tech underground lab - that any enemy can penetrate, as long as they have a hand to open the door lol.

The acting: The actors really try as hard as they can to be worse than the writing, and they almost make it. But like when trying to act, they fail here too. Iris and her Dad have the range of glue stuck to glue, and everybody else does a really awful at it too.

There is NO consistency, no logic, no real drama (who EVER thought for one second, that Barry really is about to die? be honest!). The show is just one big assassination of one of DCs coolest and (normally) funniest characters.

I wish I could be at the intellectual level of a plant or gum under the table, cause then I could enjoy the series about one of my favorite characters. But anybody with a sliver of intelligent, won't be able to enjoy that trainwreck of a insult to sentient beings.

And this is the toned down version of my review.
  • radiantheta13 September 2015
    This is my first time writing a review, but that's just how irritating this show was for me, one word to describe this show is cliché. First of all the show is so repetitive, the villain makes a first appearance and the flash with all his speed and abilities has to lose to the villain at first and then go prepare himself in star labs then he beats the villain in a rather disappointing showdown, excuse me but İ find it illogical that the flash would stop right before catching a shapeshifter just to tell him "You cant outrun me" resulting in his escape, really ? what a cliché. And yes the inconsistency of the flash's powers why isn't he able to avoid getting punched ? or speed his way out of a group of bees ? or avoid getting hit by a freezing/fire throwing gun ? it's just lazy on the writers' side to not try and find real challenges to his abilities instead of just contradicting the powers he shows in other unnecessary aspects of his life. Show is also full of plot holes, star labs is the place where everything about barry's identity is kept secret yet people just keep barging in on them like iris confirming the flash's identity, also how eddie keeping barry's identity a secret is affecting his relationship with iris is beyond me it's like they're begging for something to fill the episodes with, not to mention the corny dialogue. Also if cisco put his mind to it he can cure cancer.
    Loved this series till season 3, which is just plain farce.

Since Barry came back, the first three episodes have been shockingly awful.

Have the writers run out of ideas and resorted to plain old cheap laughs, no right, it ain't funny! Run out of money maybe?

I know Flash has always been lighter in theme than the other of the Marvel stable. However, season three, so far has been terribly bad.
  • Maybe CW has taken it upon itself to ruin a great character from the DC Universe!!! Probably a child who has never been exposed to genres of movies which never make people think would enjoy this. A show full of stupid plot holes and unnecessary nagging in the form of emotions.... Worthless emotions are given importance rather than good character building and meaningful backstories. Literally the viewership would spike if they kill off stupid emotions and IRIS WEST and bring in some meaningful story!!!!!!
    I have been quite happy with the Flash until I saw season 2 Episode 18. The writing in that episode is beyond stupidity. Why?

• All portals to the other earth were closed. Zoom is fatally sick. In a few years he would die by himself. No real reason to open portal to other earth.

• Barry is faster than Zoom. Barry captures Zoom but does not knock him out or anything. Instead Barry just talks to Zoom and fails to keep him captured. Also the trap they made for Zoom is stupid. Barry already is faster than Zoom so there was no need for a trap.

• When Zoom handed over Wally to the Flash team, why didn't Barry just break the deal and kill him or at least knock him out and capture him?. Instead Barry makes the most retarded decision he has ever made. He gives his powers to the serial killer Zoom, who could kill everyone in the earth especially when there is no one to stop him (the Flash is the only one who could stop him).

So Barry risks both earths for no good reason. Was he afraid to fight Zoom? Who knows. I hope they don't make this kind of writing mistakes in the future or the Flash is over for me.
    In my opinion, this show started great with a surprising first season, but as the second season came along is like the show- runners and script writers ran out of ideas and started doing random stuff that made no sense whatsoever. The second season had way too many plot holes and continuity errors. Too many things made no sense whatsoever and many other things were left completely unexplained. It was almost as if the both the show- runners and the script writers were changed halfway through the season and they had no idea what was going on with the show. I won't get too much into detail but an example of this was the Zoom almost killing "Jay Garrick" flashback at the beginning of the season. Technically, with what happened later on the show, that NEVER happened since it was all made up by zoom, so why show a flashback to an event that never happened?! A second example was when Zoom killed his Jay Garrick self in front of the team. He arrived with the body at his lair and said "Well, this is a complication" but then like 3 episodes later supposedly it was all part of his plan all along and his Jay Garrick self agreed to being killed. So why, if it was all part of his plan all along and his other self agreed to being killed, why was it a complication? The season already ended and this was never explained. These two things I just mentioned were left completely unexplained and it caused continuity errors with things that happened later that SAME season. They create quite the plot holes as well. But these are just two of perhaps the 10 to 15 things that were left completely unexplained by that season. It is almost as if they just rushed through the script writing without revising it after they were done. They really didn't think things through with this season. Maybe the success of the first season got in their heads and they thought they could just make a bunch of random illogical stuff and people would like it.

Another thing is that the acting this season felt less natural, like they suddenly forgot how to act sometimes. It bugged me quite a lot, specially with Danielle Panabaker who, in my opinion, had the worst acting this season.This does not applies to Tom Cavanagh because he is actually a great actor.

So yeah, unfortunately, looking at how the second season played out, if in the third season they don't do something to fix all the errors they made in the second season then this show will get nowhere, and if they continue making more continuity errors and plot holes then this show will completely fail.
    Every episode Iris West goes on and on about how "Barry lied to me," "My father lied to me," "my boyfriend lied to me." Talk about a broken record. First she goes from being a waitress to magically getting a job as a top reporter. Then she spends the rest of her screen time accusing people of lying to her, then acting like a 10 year old by giving everyone the silent treatment. Her rants are always about, "I thought you loved me," "I thought you were my best friend." Unfortunately I know I am not the only person who just wants someone to put a bullet in her head and get that annoying character off the show. And why on earth would anyone want to date or live with that shrew? Her character adds nothing to any storyline. Get rid of her. It is otherwise a pretty good, albeit, a kind of childish show.
  • How many innocent people, and friends, have to die, before you take the gloves off? How many of the people you swore to protect have to be killed, before you decide that this villain, Devoe, has to be stopped permanently, one way or another?

You're a superhero, so you can't kill. Great, I understand. That's a general rule of being a superhero. There is always another way. Except that this guy, this sociopath who keeps getting away because you hold back, keeps killing people. So is that being a hero? You won't kill the bad guy, because killing is wrong of course. Yet you're fine if that bad guy's body count grows?

I have stopped watching. I can't stand seeing the same people make the same decisions every show, and people die.
    In the first two seasons they did some great job connecting barry and catlyn and then boom here comes iris they get married and now she is a speedster? wf once i heard that i quit the flash fore good it was the best tv show but know i will go bact to daredevil
  • imado22 September 2017
    Might contain spoilers yet it is hard to spoil the show that spoiled.

Badly guided meat puppets randomly spewing out for no apparent reason phrases like "I promise", "It's not gonna happen", "It's my fault", "I promise", "It's not gonna happen, I promise" etc., horribly written by the "writers" who probably learned to write in a clown school, where they teach you how to annoy people off to no end instead of weaving beautiful story lines. And at some point one really starts to hope for mass murder suicide of the whole bunch of main characters and writers. Started by the emotionally unstable namesake of the show with his trembling and cracking voice of the person on the brink of hysteria and mental breakdown. +1 just for beautiful production of the set. PS: I have a bit of OCD concerning shows I started to watch, even awful ones. So this is my outlet for all the pain and suffering brought to me by 3 seasons of this one.
  • Nobody likes this "extreme unneeded and repulsive" character. Just thats why I didnt want to watch The Flash's some episode sometimes.
    When I was a lad back in the 60s my favourite super heroes were The Flash and Green Lantern. I'll discuss the horror that was the recent Green Lantern movie in that thread.

I was really looking forward to the 2014 version of The Flash. While John Wesley Shipp made a great Flash back in 1990, the writers just had to inject the usual cornball humour that ruined the show for me. The 2014 Flash suffers from a different problem. The writers assume that the viewers are morons. Two examples follow:

In one episode, Flash fights an opponent who can turn to steel. He defeats him with a risky move that requires him to run at supersonic speed, then enter a building and punch the villain. If the theory is wrong The Flash dies. Here's an idea. How about using the same speed to launch something like a brick at him? In either case, though, how does one stop in the length of a high school corridor when one is traveling at supersonic speed?

But the biggest problem is that the writers continue to ignore the fact that The Flash can run really really fast. That's kind of the whole basis of the series. Check out the episode where he is up against Captain Cold and Heat Wave. The two villains are in the middle of the street and the only way he can defeat them is to get hit by both guns at the same time? We just saw Barry serve coffee to a room full of customers without being detected (because he can run really really fast - get it?). Here's an idea. Run really really fast and take their guns away before they can fire them.

Then there's the other option. As my son and I watched the show we repeatedly turned to each other and said the single word, "sniper". Somehow all those police just overlooked the fact that they carry guns and neither of the villains was wearing a bullet proof vest. And even if they were. Head shot! Duh!

So I am tired of being treated like a moron. I think I'll be passing on future episodes. Pity.
  • Season 1 of The Flash was exceptional with everything needed in a Sci-fi Action Thriller. Good story line with exciting twists and a superhero, what else do we need. But since the start of season 2, it has gone from bad to terrible numerous times. Bad acting, dismal plot and sometimes hilarious CGI didn't help its cause either. In the era of exceptional CGI in TV, with shows like GoT and Viking, this looks like a B-Grade Sci-fi movie.
    The spoilers here are very minor and will not affect your experience if you're the average person. Still, better safe than sorry. WRITING (Conflicts, character actions, and dialogue) The writing in this show is less than impressive. There is no such thing as subtlety and half the dialogue is them throwing in the word "fast" for the hell of it. At one point, a character says to some random thug "Freeze! Now, get on the ground or do you wanna find out the hard way that you're not faster than a bullet?" I'm actually quite certain that the line verbatim is worse than that. A lot of plot points make no sense, and this is a huge problem with The Flash in general. The Flash is so fast that few conflicts are actually conflicts for The Flash, but rather than being creative and trying to think up interesting conflicts, they make the characters mentally incompetent to the point that The Flash, who can dodge a bullet, cannot dodge a punch. This actually becomes the main plot point of an entire episode. His inability to dodge attacks at normal speed makes no sense. Also, he has a tendency to block bullets that he doesn't even know are there. In one episode, he reaches behind him and pinches a random spot behind his neck and there just happens to be a bullet there for him to block! What an ESSENTIALLY IMPOSSIBLE COINCIDENCE! That is the laziest writing ever. "We need our character to get shot at without getting shot. Let's just have him randomly reach back for some reason, I'm sure we'll figure it out in post." There's an episode where he has to catch three motorcyclists. So, he runs to each of them, takes them to a police station and handcuffs them to a pole like he always does. I'm just kidding, he creates roadblocks where he thinks they'll go so that he can make all the motorcyclists go towards each other, and then they won't know how to move past each other, so they'll stop and the police can get them, at which point there will be an utterance of "Checkmate." That last bit is also not a joke. That happened. This is actually something that a producer and a team of writers looked over and said "Nothing wrong here. Onwards to production!" Also, this is My Little Pony with adults watching (so, just My Little Pony...with Rainbow Dash as the main character, I suppose). They like to have Aesops to each episode, and they're very basic moral lessons, or even broken ones, and then they'll do what's essentially a Dear Celestia inner monologue at the end of each episode. "Today, I learned..." Really? There's no subtlety in the character development at all. At certain points, I swear the characters literally look at the camera and go "I've really changed today. I used to think A and now I think B." Here's a bit of dialogue meant to be badass. (Right before Barry's about to leave.) "Barry." (Barry stops to see why his peer decided to stop him during this urgent mission.) "Yes?" "Run." CONSISTENCY There is no consistency with Barry's powers. The effects of running really fast (friction, air compression, etc.) turn on and off randomly. At one point, a woman's shirt burns off despite that making no sense whatsoever, presumably because one of the writers thought that the actress was hot and knew he had the power to get her to reveal a little more. As I mentioned before, he just decides not to dodge punches. Or grab people's weapons to disarm them. He also runs slow enough for The Arrow to see him and aim at him when he's fast enough to see bullets. Bullets are so fast that 500 feet away, all you can do is blink before the bullet reaches you. Otherwise, you're completely still. Everything should be frozen for Barry, but he runs at the speed of a falcon from time to time. TECHNICALITIES Bullets and guns. Don't expect them to make sense. Physics. Chemistry. Science in general. Tensile strength being a huge factor when hitting someone? Hearing a sonic boom from something that hasn't gotten to you yet? A gun that creates the heat of the Big Bang? A needle the heat of the Sun would kill everyone in at least a one thousand mile radius. A warehouse the heat of all the energy in the universe (which, you might notice, doesn't make sense) would evaporate all matter in the entire solar system. But no worries here, just some second degree burns (these were normal humans that got second degree burns, not The Flash, so no superpowers to withstand the energy of the entire universe there). 500 proof alcohol? Iron oxide being uncommon? Turn your brain off or get a hemorrhage. It's nice to see The Flash moving about with live actors (though poor actors), but that's it. That's the only pro. That's all this show gets.
    I'm not sure exactly who this movie was made for, I mean if it were made exclusively for 13 year old children, then I might be very understanding as to why it feels really weird to watch, I literally can't stand this movie, Please who wrote the scripts? No imagination! at first I thought it must be one of those indoor nerds who wrote the entire thing but then, there was that episode where apparently Cisco had to hack the city's network and they weren't being explicit as to what "network" they wanted to hack, then apparently the network was hacked in 4 seconds, like I could see the laptop the apparent hacker used showing graphic images of 3D models, that was when I knew it wasn't even a geek who wrote the Script. The languages are too cliché and I had to ask for help to un-see this thing. don't even get me started with the Intro speech. But then again, perhaps they wanted just an audience of 13 year olds.
  • Seriously, this show is so stupid and filled with too much drama. then it's gets repetitive along the way. avoid it.
  • Forst 2 seasons were awsome but after that the show seems to be majorly targetting, focusing and forcebly imposing on some specific things un necessarily. Being dragged and has become a piece of crap
    I loved this show, even if it was not faithful to the source material, I like Irish redheads but meh Americans have some kind of skin color fetish and they made a very beautiful Irish redhead in a black brunette, let's say this I was excited for the flash that I let that thing go as the actress looks decent and in the beginning she was quite bearable. So all in all I gave it a chance.

But boy was I wrong to give her a chance, she single handed managed to destroy the 3rd season and season 4 made me just skip watch all of it as she murdered The Flash and became We Flash, episode 5 was so freaking bad I think it hit the lowest score for all episodes overall and it was the an episode about Girls Night Out, with some feminist substrate and no Flash action whatsoever, is like watching a pron with no actual pron action.

Initially I gave this a 9 rating but now overall this show is at that point in time when I watch it less and less or even skip watch because the content is too annoying or boring.

The only thing to save this show is Iris West needs to die (not the actor she is just annoying by nature just like King Geoffrey) and the writers need to use the source material as there is plenty to use.
    The flash started as one of the best shows ever. Season 1 was superbly awesome. Season 2 again was perfect . The thing that made first 2 seasons perfect were their brilliant science theory and the love triangle. Season 3 lost most of it's charm as the love triangle was now fully broken. Only it had a great dangerous villian. Season 4 is dumbest season of tv ever. Except the crisis on earth X and 1 or 2 theories of the flash to defeat devoe , it did not gave me goosebumps as given by the first 3 seasons. It didn't create a fully necessity to watch the next episodes.
    Firstly and most importantly this show is sooo bad because of the horrible acting , cliché dialogue and terrible writing . Why can't these superhero shows are given to writers and directors of shows like game of thrones , the wire , walking dead and shows like sopranos which has got such a bravo acting and story . I have seen that most of the Marvel's show are just crap only because of the terrible acting , dialogues and character . Now coming back to Flash , this show has one positive point and that is photography rest is just a garbage . And that character iris west , oh lord !!! can somebody just shut her up !! Even the lab geeks of STARS lab who has technology and help flash are soo terrible and the dialogues are so cliché and acting is just horrible and childish type , even the comedy punches are so horrible uughhhh..!!! This show is good for children in the age group 5-15 and for those who haven't seen any serial as mentioned above by me .There are so many logical errors in this show , i mean just take one for an example that the flash has got such a high speed and even though he just stand in front of a gun point and takes the beating . And shows speed at unnecessary places . I even watched 2-3 episodes of it believing that it will get better and acting might improve but its all in vane .8/10 rating of this show is only because of the superhero fan who have read all of the flash comics and now seeing it on TV for real .