User Reviews (33)

• This film moved me... or rather made me look at things a little differently I suppose. I normally give money to panhandlers, buy them a hot meal whenever I can. Where I live, homelessness is an issue that people don't concern themselves with as much as New York because the climate is warmer, and people generally survive easier I suppose. But this movie made me think about those individuals who are struggling in a deeper way.

Shelter takes place over the course of a few seasons in New York city. A tough place to be, and even tougher if you're homeless. It's hard to get by, and there is no shortage of people who are willing to take advantage of you. We are introduced to two such individuals played aptly by Jennifer Connelly and Anthony Mackie. Two different lives that simply interact one day, and forever changes their paths. Both are on the street for different reasons, and both have their own demons to deal with. Their paths intertwine and they begin to show real promise, as a couple just down on their luck, just looking for and hoping for any real opportunity to dig themselves out of the hole they are in.

What really sticks with you is how utterly believable the situations are. Most movies about homelessness, usually with a huge celebrity attached to it are much harder for me to believe, but with this cast and story it was so easy to fall into. Times are tough all over the world, and New York is probably more susceptible than most cities to find yourself in hard times and taken advantage of. I feel very grateful to not have been in any of the situations you witness in this film, but I promise you, it will make you think about those who are.

An excellent first story from writer/director Paul Bettany.

• I have no words for this beautiful and unexpected piece of gem...i watched it and not sure what is all about ...but after watching it i was speechless....great topic and sure an eye opening subject ...Jennifer Connelly and Anthony Mackie did a well job with their role...and i am surprised why its not well rated.i don't know why the junk movies are well rated that the producers are making and remaking it again and again...Paul Bettany is clearly sending a message with his debut direction and writing ..that he can do something with a topic that no other famous directors even bother to see.. its a powerful drama and worth watching... i think it deserve more than the average stars ...Go see it with your heart ...i am sure you will not regret it..
  • Bettany doesn't pull any punches with this film, so don't expect some feel-good love story, and expect to feel really good about yourself when the final credits roll. This is a really nice piece of work, that speaks to how people end-up on the street, and why they stay; even if they decide to leave.

This piece is intended to make you re-think your views on homeless street people, and in my book does a really nice job. The film doesn't try to place the blame on anyone, which I really think brings the authenticity through.

I personally have not seen another motion picture that brought such resolution in my mind about street addicts; why they do it, how they got there, and what really our their choices once they partake.
    What's the first thing that comes to mind when you think of New York? A vibrant cityscape? Glitz and glam? Written, produced and directed by Paul Bettany, Shelter is a bleak reminder that even the greatest cities in the world can be extremely unforgiving if time and destiny dictates it.

So it is with Tahir (Anthony Mackie), a Nigerian Muslim with an expired visa, and Hannah (Jennifer Connelly), a suicidal heroin junkie. As an illegal immigrant, Tahir cannot seek communal shelter so makes do by scavenging through trash and busking on plastic buckets. When they meet and eventually fall in love, we learn that one is the victim of circumstance and the other by choice. They have different beliefs owing to different backgrounds but they find dependence and strength in each other. He will get her through her drug addiction and reconciled with her estranged family. She will become the only source of redemption for his violent past. Through drip-fed sympathy we feel their anguish, and just when we think it can't get any worse, Bettany settles for none less than a grim ending, but not before forcing Hannah and Tahir through increasingly stomach churning situations.

Shelter could have been set in any city but Bettany's story is juxtaposed between New York's opulence and rock bottom poverty. In some ways it is dedicated to the couple who lived outside their Manhattan residence but in many ways it is an eye opening account of a worst case scenario that could befall anyone. It's a dark shade of New York (or any other first world city) we either don't see or choose not to, and that's all the more reason why this story had to be told. But in doing so, Bettany's approach is depressing, repulsive and even melodramatic. If such is the intended effect, Shelter has a lot of it and that's largely due to Connelly's solid performance in portraying the plight of a woman who has nothing left, and because she has nothing left, will do anything to survive. Connelly also looks the part, with bones and veins sticking out of what looks like a malnourished frame. On the other hand, Mackie is either miscast or isn't given much to work with. Besides his faltering Nigerian accent, I can't imagine how his character is so well built for a hungry hobo; unless of course, the physique he has in this film is a fundamental requirement that runs alongside his characters in Marvel superhero films.

While there are other questions that go unanswered, including debatable motives from certain characters, a lot of energy is focused on the pathetic situation of a homeless individual. There's no doubt that this is the real world and that poverty can be as devastating as cancer. But even while Bettany's subject matter is loud and clear, his application of Murphy's Law gives away towards a predictable ending with even more melodrama. Overall, you could call it a sophomore effort but there is also every reason to believe that this isn't a directorial attempt for the heck of it. As a first attempt for an actor-turned-director, Bettany gives us a powerful film that hits the heart despite aiming for the head. I sincerely hope there's more where this came from.
  • I watched this movie by chance yesterday and have not stopped thinking about it since. The ending is so powerful and just overwhelming. The music is haunting.

I know some have panned it but the emotions it generates are deeply felt and the dynamic between the actors is great. I find it to be a mild commentary on homelessness and the fact that people could be living a comfortable life in a city and because of some unforeseen event find themselves without shelter.

The actual and implied sex scenes are so uncomfortable because of the utter helplessness of Hannah.

I hope others find this as thought-provoking as I did.
  • chungs6920 September 2014
    This is Paul Bettany's debut as a director and a writer and what a debut. This movie captures one's attention from the very beginning. The movie has many twists and turns while telling a story about an ignored group of people in today's society. It plays on the emotions of the audience from high to low. Jennifer Connelly and Anthony Mackie display good screen chemistry and play off each other really well throughout the movie. Jennifer Connelly was really believable and this is perhaps her best role to date. Anthony Mackie is equally mesmerizing in his performance. This is a well written and directed movie with wonderful acting. I would recommend this as a must see.
  • A love story of to homeless people... living on the streets of new york what the have is nothing except a past that most of us never even think can be happen to people this movie show us the world of the homeless people you think you know how homeless people live there life but you can't feel there pain how they safer every single day you don't know how its feels sleeping on the heard cold streets how its feels to begging others for food and money with weak empty hands...

the movie will start by showing Jennifer Connelly and Anthony Mackie characters and including the world of homeless people after that the both characters will fall in love by some reason in the second half they will unveil the past of both the characters and then the story will take twists and turns there will be emotions there will b love hate care under no shelter..... in the end they will learn ho much they love each other they need each other... be proud what you got and always cares for others if every one of us will care for each other then you don't have to be worry about your...

sorry for the bad English..
  • freshclean-66-31860814 November 2016
    Wow!
    "Shelter" is remarkable piece of work that stared two great actors that performed brilliantly. I like Anthony Mackie and I love Jennifer Connelly. Both of them were great in this film. This is a heart breaking story of two homeless people that cross paths and fall in love and try to survive homeless in the streets. Their lives and their stories of how they got there are brought out dramatically in this film. This film does start out a little slow but then it picks up and goes on a dramatically intense journey. The way the plot unfolds in this film is simple but in a good story like this that's all that's needed. I learned that this is Paul Bettany's directorial debut. If this is, all I can say is wow! This film is set up perfectly and the writing is great. I wanted to see this film from the time I saw the trailer because I knew with Anthony Mackie and Jennifer Connelly that this film was going to be a good one. This film is a must see and I think anyone who loves drama and good chemistry between two wonderful actors should see this film.
  • rooee13 January 2016
    Gimme
    Avengers reunited! Anthony Mackie stars and Paul Bettany writes and directs – but this low-budget, lowdown indie couldn't be further from the world-saving antics of Falcon and Vision. It actually premiered in 2014, and has since been dismissed by many critics. Sure, it's overwrought. But despite some flaws this is a thought-provoking drama with little preaching.

It's a story from the bottom rung of Maslow's Hierarchy. Mackie plays Nigerian immigrant Tahir, homeless in New York, whom we meet repenting for a terrible crime from his past. When his stuff is stolen he notices that Hannah (Jennifer Connolly) is wearing his jacket. He follows her. They meet. They love.

Sounds simple because it is. It's a love story that happens to involve two people sleeping rough. It's episodic in structure because every day is an episode of pain, but it essentially follows the model of the classical Hollywood romance. Yet it does so largely without sugar-coating its characters' suffering.

The film is utterly driven by these two main characters. Every scene is from one of their perspectives. And they carry it brilliantly. We've known Connolly is capable of this quality for some time, but it still comes as a surprise to see her emaciated frame so brutally possessed and conflicted. Mackie, meanwhile, is the revelation. He's a ubiquitous presence on our screens – forever a stable buddy character – but I've never seen him so soulful, so internal.

Does it veer toward beautifully art-directed misery theatre at times? Yes it does. Occasionally it seems conspicuously designed to challenge expectations, more than coming across as a reflection of real life. But I figured that was the point: to find romance in desperation, like the lovers themselves. Also, there's the occasional clunky dialogue: "Never judge a book by its cover," Hannah tells one ignoramus.

Notably, the "System" is not demonised. When Tahir is discharged from hospital into the winter cold, Hannah asks the doctor if Tahir can stay – but she's asking the impossible. Moments like this highlight the hurdles of a universal welfare structure that cannot bend to individual circumstances.

As a test of empathy, Shelter makes you work hard. He's a mass-murdering African Muslim; she's a war widow who left her child to beg for heroin money. However bleak that sounds, the search for goodness is a consistent theme. We are the sum of all our deeds, not just our worst. Tahir and Hannah talk of God and death and cognitive dissonance like regular smart people. And they look out for each other in a way most regular people don't look out for them.

Shelter is worth seeking out. It's a tough, harrowing watch, but far from a thankless or hopeless one.
  • I didn't know what to expect from the short summary, but I love Anthony Mackie so I watched. I was mesmerized from beginning to end at the intimate view of homelessness, the sense of being invisible and unworthy was palpable. The love story between the main characters seemed a little forced at the beginning, but midway through their chemistry was obvious. They want to save each other. It was beautiful, sad and haunting. Anthony Mackie's portrayal of the Nigerian refugee struggling to overcome his past losses was heart wrenching. Jennifer Connelly's portrayal of a heroin addict is an unsympathetic role and she does a great job being an awful person. Their connection seems very slight at first; the evolution of their relationship seemed very dependent on both of their losses.
  • ckdos219 April 2016
    SHELTER is a masterpiece of realism, love and forgiveness that will come into its own as it ages. The two lovers, Hanna and Tahir, are bound together by loss and tragedy as they struggle to rise above themselves and their wounds in an uncaring world.

Played on at his weakest moment, illegal immigrant Tahir (Anthony Mackie) falls into bottomless guilt for once being a member of the radical Islamic terrorist group Boko Haram in Nigeria. With painful obsession he prays for redemption for his participation in burning down schools, hospitals and for the unspeakable, brutal murders of thousands of innocent people including women and children.

Jennifer Connelly (Hannah) makes her acting comeback with a splash as she navigates her own depression and suicidal attempt while grieving the death of her surgeon husband whose plane was shot down at the hands of a similar terrorist group. It becomes evident that Hannah must forgive Tahir and his evil past in order to escape the NYC streets.

Hannah is redeemed by her luminous, loving humanity and indestructible bravado, but she has earned it by surviving on the streets. Unfortunately the anguished Tahir is forced to finally accept that he is damaged beyond his ability to redeem his violent past when he once again resorts to his most primitive expression of mindless violence and in the end decides the only way for him to find ultimate redemption is to be reunited with his maker and the pure innocence of his young murdered son (at the hands of Nigerian terrorists).

SHELTER concerns itself with what's happening in our world today as ISIS invades our own country. Can you forgive the Godless, senseless violence of the terrorists that have taken away your loved one without embracing them as Tahinr did? Bottom line is that you have to 'let it go' or you will be consumed by your own personal mix of hate, revenge and finally guilt. That is if you actually are a decent, sane person.
  • bikerhiker4621 January 2017
    I hate writing reviews because if a movie is good enough to merit the effort it often seems like any attempt to describe it is destined to fall short. That said, as a one time social worker who has experienced up-close the miseries of those without home and hope I found this a remarkably accurate portrayal of the lives that can result. Having forgone the usual formulaic pap the author does an excellent job or recreating the "feel" of having no place to lay your head at night as well as the constant tension of never knowing who or what you can trust. The usual simplistic Hollywood garbage is happily absent and one finds oneself immersed in a world of bewildering complications and contradiction. Making it through each day becomes the goal and winning means little more than living to suffer another day. Such are the lives of far too many in America and elsewhere. Happily many of the "bad" guys are shown as victims themselves of a broken system rather than the arch villains of yore. Some try their best to accommodate, others try their best to take advantage of the person's vulnerability. You can't help but sympathize with the former and hate the later. While I can't even imagine trying to play the role of the two lead characters both did an excellent job and gained and held my sympathy from beginning to end. Jobs well done! And I can only guess at what cost. Camera work was excellent throughout with some of the dream like sequences outstanding. All in all a wonderful film and one I heartily will recommend to friends.
    Shelter starts off badly with mumbling dialogue, most of which I found incredibly hard to hear throughout the film. Badly cut, shaky scenes with little meaning and I found Jennifer Connelly's character really irritating.

She's a heroin addict who's ditched her child and fallen into a homeless drug addicted slump because her husband died. "I used to be someone" is the cardboard sign she puts out when asking for money. The other ways she gets it is letting a morally bankrupt security guard have sex with her, even asking for oral sex for just letting her sleep in the boiler room on the first night.

I found both characters unlikeable in certain ways but despite the personal history they tell one another, its understandable why they have ended up the way they have.

Its a miserable film but thats what it is to be homeless and treated like you don't exist, like you are nothing.

Its just that Shelter fails to draw me into the story, and it dreary beyond belief. I love dramas but there was something lacking with Shelter. You could say it was boring.

I'm also sad to see Jennifer Connelly, once a voluptuous beauty reduced to a wrinkled skeleton by her own doing. she was already gaunt way before she made Shelter.
    Sunday, 15 November 2015: First up, I totally 100% support All Interracial Love stories between men and women. I love to see movies and t.v show where skin color does Not matter, but what's in the heart and mind of two people. Jennifer and Anthony did a great job from start to finish. Anthony did a good job with his accent.

This movie was a good movie. Wonder why I have not seen it in Red Box? I can totally relate the homeless situation personally. The movie only shows one time when they actually take a shower. Who in real life would want to kiss or have sex with a person who has not taken a shower in who knows how many days or weeks?

I like the fact that Anthony's character defended her and Jennifer's character stood by for better and worse. She loved him so much that she sold her body to get his meds. It was sad that she had lied so much to her father that when she finally told the truth, he did not believe her nor want to help her.

The part I hated was this man who appears to help her get out of the cold, only does it for getting sex from her. This is very sad because it shows that men will only help women in need in exchange for sex which is Not true with all men. When Tahir finally catches them in the sex act, Tahir thinks she is being raped and beats the old man to a FUBAR.
  • Review: What an emotional movie! The acting from Jennifer Connelly, who plays Hannah and Anthony Mackie, Tahir, is superb and the deep story, about 2 homeless, lost souls who fall in love and struggle to live on the streets of New York, is brilliant. When Tahir becomes ill during a brutal winter, Hannah tries her hardest to find accommodation for them both, and she goes to the extreme to buy medication for Tahir. These 2 characters, really came from 2 different world's but when they join forces to find money, food and accommodation, there emotional journey goes from one extreme to another. The chemistry between Tahir and Hannah is excellent and very believable and the ending did bring a tear to my eye. Hannah is a heroin addict, who sadly lost her husband to a terrorist attack and she left her little boy with her father while she lives on the streets, finding ways to fund her habit. Tahir is a African immigrant who lives in America illegally and lost his wife and young boy, in a brutal way, in Africa. There are some different elements to the plot, which made this film quite enjoyable and the fact that many people are losing there houses and have to use food banks and shelter to live nowadays, gives this movie a truthful look into the extent that the homeless have to go to, just to make it through one day to the next. Anyway, I enjoyed this emotional drama but it's a shame that it didn't get the big distribution treatment that it deserved. Enjoyable!

Round-Up: This is the first movie, written and directed by Paul Bettany, 44, whose known for acting in some top class movies. He was brilliant in A Knights Tale and A Beautiful Mind in 2001 and quite scary as Silas in the Da Vinci Code. His voice became worldwide known when he starred in Iron Man as Jarvis and when he changed into human form in Avengers: Age of Ultron, it set a path for yet another superhero. For his directional debut, he really did pick a deep subject, which will touch many hearts and he done a great job by getting the most out of the top class actors.

I recommend this movie to people who are into their dramas starring Jennifer Connelly, Anthony Mackie and Bruce Altman. 7/10
  • I cannot believe I am writing a review as I never do. This is a gut and heart wrenching movie. I am sitting in silence and almost in shock. Incredible story of life on the street for this unlikely couple that might never have met under other circumstances. An important movie for our times. Gives a great understanding of the perils of living on the street. Watch it!
  • Tahir came to New York City from Nigeria. You don't want to know what happened to him there or what he did. Actually, if you can't handle the truth about his life, just avoid this movie. It's pretty hard to watch.

Tahir plays the drums (actually buckets) on the streets for money, and sometimes he teaches his technique to people. He does not seem to have a place to live, so he trusts others in his situation to watch out for his stuff. One day the man next to him is unable to stop Tahir's stuff from being stolen, so now he needs more stuff. Fortunately, it's summer. A very kind man wearing what I believe are the clothes of a Muslim clergyman wants to help Tahir, but Tahir wants to remain more independent. Tahir is a faithful Muslim but knows he needs forgiveness.

Tahir sees Hannah wearing his jacket and demands it be returned. Hannah angrily gives it back, though it is kind of hot for a jacket. Then Hannah tries to attempt suicide. Tahir stops her and begins trying to take care of her. It seems she has a child and when her husband died in military service after 9/11, she couldn't handle things. She ran away and became a drug addict. Hannah is not a believer and mocks Tahir's faith, but things change later.

At one point a man shows Tahir a photo of Hannah and asks if he has seen her. For some reason Tahir lies but the next time he sees Hannah he confronts her and demands to know why she has abandoned those she loved. We learn later that she had the ability to contact her father all along but did not for some reason.

Tahir rescues Hannah from her dealer who wants his money. Later, while on the run from another crisis, the two discover a luxurious home that is unlocked, and they take full advantage. As they pretend they really live there and wear the clothes and use the fine glassware and other items, we see most of the film's few humorous moments, and we learn more about these characters.

On the subject of humor, Hannah has fun with a helium balloon while things are still desperate.

But getting back to the good life, the relationship is evolving into something of a romantic nature. Eventually, the fantasy has to end. We don't know what happened next, but obviously a lot of time has passed because things have changed drastically.

It is almost Christmas and there is snow on the ground. Hannah is confident and clean, and at first it appears she has her life back together. This is far from true and she will run into many more terrible and even frightening situations. It is now Tahir who needs taking care of, and that proves to be much harder than one would think. Rules and people who simply lack compassion get in the way, though many nice people really try and one man seems very kind and caring until we find out why. Hannah can be very persuasive and creative when she needs to be.

Want a happy ending? Hallmark has plenty of them. This may be taking place at Christmas but it has more in common with the stores of the Grinch and Scrooge (before their redemption) than what you might hope for.

If this were a foreign language film or had somehow been condensed into a short film, I think we would be talking Oscar. As it is, it's just not the type of film that is popular enough to get nominations,

But I think this film has the quality writing and acting to be noticed by the Oscar people, or at least the Golden Globe people. It doesn't shy away from reality and teaches us a lot about what is like on the streets. The characters are not stereotypes and you wonder how they couldn't make it in life.

If you have the courage to put your self through this, and get out of your comfort zone, it is worth it.
  • I cannot believe some of these reviews and poor ratings. 1/10?? Are you kidding me? I had to create an account just to speak up for it. This film needs to be given its full due! Great story, great performances (Jennifer Connelly is exceptional - and the physical transformation is jaw dropping). I was rooting for the characters the whole way through. I'm surprised there are not Academy awards linked to this film. We stumbled upon it by accident and now I'm going to reccomend it to all my friends.
  • rmcshugs27 February 2020
    This is a very realistic look at the life of a homeless woman in New York. Girl meets boy love story. Just add that they have nowhere to live and nothing to eat. And if you get sick on the streets your terrible life gets 100 times worse. My heart goes out to people that end up on the streets. Great but sad movie. Acting is very believable.
    I mostly went into this since I know next to nothing about this ignored world of the poor. I've always wanted to know more about it: how they got there in the first place, what it's like. But, of course, it's a touchy subject when a well-off white Asian like me gets involved, coming off as just some "rich" person wanting to look like a good person. Luckily, I hoped through this movie I could get to understand this world from the privacy of my home and a box of popcorn. Thankfully, no one came barging in to say how much of a douche I am, and I gained an understanding that really answered some questions I had.

Since I really have no other sources to draw from, I've put my faith into what the movie has presented as things the poor could face in their life. Of course, movies cannot be completely trusted; I honestly found a few moments overly dramatic and a bit cringy, but the feeling stayed the same, the overwhelming feeling that I don't feel as often anymore.

It's helplessness. Shelter presents the feeling of helplessness phenomenally throughout the film, and it's probably a feeling the homeless feel all the time.

If you put yourself into their shoes for every time they had a problem and tried to fix it with what they had, you'd only be left with helplessness, and it only gets worse and worse as the film progresses and most would call it dramatic, and at times, it truly is as mentioned before. But considering the circumstances, I'd probably end up doing the same exact things.

It's dramatic because helplessness breeds anxiety and desperation which causes drama. The drama it has is delivered very well, yet the reviews for the movie tend to be critical of it. It's like how horror movies living off jumpscares are stereotypically called bad, even though jumpscare-heavy movies can be good if delivered the right way. This trend of stereotyping is getting obnoxious to the point where good movies are becoming forgotten and hated. It's very disheartening. This movie made me teary eyed, desperate, helpless, anxious, bittersweet, forgiving, shocked; it has given me more emotions than any movie I've seen in a long time, and there's hardly any moments where you question their decisions for there truly was nothing left for them to do.

I can't hate the movie, for you can't hate something for being honest, so here's a 8/10. I think this is a great film. I think it's very powerful. I think people should consider the context behind the drama to find that it's necessary. I think people shouldn't hate things for making them so depressed because that's literally life. And if you can't come to accept tragedy, look out because there usually won't be someone there to keep you from jumping.
    Hannah's cardboard sign with "I USED TO BE SOMEONE" says everything that needs to be said. Everyone has a story.

What would you be willing to do for someone you love? To get them something they needed to stay alive. Put yourself in their shoes. This might be any one of us.
  • It was an interesting tale, I thought the main characters were well written and the plot had a lot to keep me gripped and wanting to see what happens next. It was a touching tale and I would recommend this to anyone , although it did have a couple of curious effusive grotesque moments. I thought it was very interesting.
  • I decided to sit down and watch "Shelter" solely because I noticed that Jennifer Connelly was in it, and I had no idea what the movie was about and had not heard about it prior to finding it on Netflix.

The story was a rather beautiful and heartfelt story, albeit a somewhat predictable one for sure.

What made the movie work was the acting performances by both Anthony Mackie and Jennifer Connelly. Man, was I impressed with the performance that Jennifer Connelly put on in this movie, and I dare say that this was actually one of her best performances in a long time easily matching the performance of "Requiem for a Dream".

"Shelter" is definitely well worth taking the time and effort to sit down and watch. And I will say that it actually does shed some light onto a world that I assume most of us just walk straight past without even throwing a second glance. So a big thumbs up to director and writer Paul Bettany for his achievement with this movie.

If you haven't already seen "Shelter", then I can only strongly recommend that you take the time to do so, if you have the chance. Because this is definitely a movie that will stick with you.
    This is the story of two NYC homeless people. Tahir (Anthony Mackie) is from an African Nation that politically correct word checks don't allow. He has overstayed his VISA, but they won't ship him back. He is living on the streets playing plastic buckets as drums for donations. He espies Hanna (Jennifer Connelly) another homeless person with a heroin addiction. They do well apart, and their troubles begin when these two people worlds apart come together and try to live as a couple with semi-deep theological discussions.

The film shows a little bit about the shelter system, but not enough to be an exposé, just a sad drama. The film is well done and acted, although it does jump a couple of times. For those that like sad slow moving realistic dramas to make their life feel better, this is the one.

Guide: F-bomb, implied sex, brief nudity.
  • I watched this movie before a week. From then I hadn't stopped thinking of it. The whole movie but the end..so unbelievable but true! Really, maybe it is the first movie in this year that left me so speechless..!!! Absolute real and hard to mind. When the movie finished i had no words. My feelings were oh so broken and I didn't wanna do anything at all this day. It was really heartbreaking and I think the point was that this movie broke me so hard because there is nothing like nothing worthless I can do for all this people in the streets. Wow again. Really recommend it. I think it can helps all of us.