• A_Voice21 December 2013
    A new side of Clem!
    A "just about good" and particularly "dark" follow up to an unmatched emotional first season. Though it was no way near as excellent as its predecessor, but it wasn't as good as a die hard fan might want it to be. Maybe due to expectations or hype! Clem isn't a cheerful and innocent child any more, she is now a veteran survivor and a mature girl willing to make hard choices. It's understandable due to what she's been through for the first five episodes.

The group of survivors she meets on her way is very much similar to previous Kenny and group, so nothing new there. But these characters fail to be as memorable as the previous bunch. Maybe they will as the season progresses. This season promises to be even more darker, intense and brutal than the previous one.

All That Remains did feel predictable, maybe because we all know the format rather well by now. Yes! the build and story line is all very nostalgic, but one feels that the choices given are not fair as their could be other alternative. I better not spoil it by quoting examples, but I certainly can say that in Season 1 if one had to make a choice then the choices given to us are the most probable of what we would have actually thought. Whereas, the effect of our choices still remains good, as the major choices seem to; and probably will effect the future episodes, as one may relate from the Episode 2 trailer at the end.

Another Letdown is, the decisions from the previous season do not stand of least importance. Even if you haven't yet completed the first season, the game will generate your choices randomly. I am hoping that we see at least some impact of our decisions from season one and 400 Days in the coming episodes.

Coming to character development, well there wasn't much of screen space for anyone except Clem. Where the first Season had a high level of "Character Attachment" due to excellent character development and "character speech" options where we could interact with the character with a wide variety questions, this season clearly lacked it. But I am more than sure it will come i the coming episode. All that Remains was mostly about survival. Clem being the protagonist and the playable character has her character traits in our hand. The player might make her a heartless rather self catering young girl who trusts no one and will try to survive no matter what the cost, or one might shape her a kind but mature girl who wants to survive badly but cares for other living too. But in any case she is now prepared for anything.

The game does offer some good and shocking moments, the dog scene being my favorite and most shocking. Where Lee lead from the front and established himself as a leader of the group, Clem probably will have to fend off others.

Now the game-play, being a story based game, there isn't much for gamers. Just like the first season it is a "tailored by choices" game rather than a kill kill kill zombie game. Playing the PC version I missed the "Scroll" option which provided a lot of ease in selecting the action.

Direction/Animation/Graphics: Outstanding! Flawless.

Story/Screenplay: Great.

Music: Superb. To my surprise their is a nice credit song.

All in all a strong start to what is going to be a great season 2. Though extremely short, as I played it through one sitting. I'm pretty sure it is only going to get better!
  • quincytheodore5 October 2014
    Walking Dead is a brilliant, private and profound gaming experience.
    It's pretty impressive that amidst all the next gen colossal titles, a game with much simpler nature will stand tall, merely by the brilliantly told story and passionately sympathetic characters. Continuing on the tradition and previous season, Telltale succeeds in delivering a personal and emotionally investing journey, this time focusing on Clementine. After surviving the hardship, baptized by blood and flesh, Clementine is slowly becoming more mature and tougher, while losing bits of innocence a little girls should hold for years to come, a proses which can be quickened by players' choice. Walking Dead will naturally draw players into caring for her, both her physical continuation and her mental well-being, and also characters she interacts with. This is a trait envied by many other games.

Players will assume control over Clementine, she can relatively defend herself better this time, but as a child there are still many limitations to her. The game creates many situations where she has to trust or rely on others. This is a bit different than Lee and Clementine relationship before, although the main purpose is the same; to keep her safe. Characters might treat Clementine differently or have contradicting motives, furthermore they are not one dimensional and quite hard to predict, a great writing on Telltale's part. This uncertainty brings more dynamic trust play, but the mutual dependency of Lee and Clementine is admittedly missed.

Graphic doesn't veer much from what Telltale is known for, comic style characters and background. Colors are nicely done, outline for visual are thick and heavily influenced by comic. Design for setting is sound, unique between each chapter and condition. The expressions are well made and this time around there are less lag when transitioning from scenes, although some bugs or stuttering persist. Action segments are more polished with the same concept of QTE is still in use. Loading time is also shortened a little. It's a slight improvement in technical department and also remains an artistic rendition, but certainly not as superior as majority of game nowadays.

The game's bread and butter are interaction and decisions. It is an interactive story, mixed breed between movie and game, so players will determine how Clementine will respond to certain events. Everything isn't a simple good or bad, there are times where hard decisions with looming consequences have to be made. The game really shines on the story, it feels personal and charming. While some scenes are probably inevitable, it's nice to see simple decisions might affect the scenes afterwards, be it small or large repercussion.

Narrative is a very strong point in this game, dialogues are intimate and emotional. Dubbing as a crucial part of the game doesn't disappoint as the cast perform splendidly to bring characters to live, especially Melissa Hutchison who sounds so organic as Clementine. Accents are defined, subtle sobbing , light snicker or frightened scream fit very well depend on the circumstances. Considering how many possibilities and situations, the actors do incredible job. There's not much in term of music aside from instrumental tunes for moody vibe and some songs, particularly at the end of each episode. What little it has works fine.

The structure between episodes is solid, however season one was better constructed, just by a thin margin. While it does have advantage of having decisions more far reaching and more diverse conclusion, season 1 had mystery tone to it. Personally, I don't think there's a bond as strong as that of Lee and Clementine, and season 1 just had a very memorable ending. However, this merely constitutes as opinion as both games are undoubtedly excellent.

The game is relatively short, about two hours per episode. It keeps the appeal of the prequel with Clementine as the heart of the game, players will likely try to protect and nurture her. It's an achievement in storytelling to captivate audience and make them care for fictional characters. Walking Dead is a brilliant, private and profound gaming experience.
  • Jacob Thompson19 March 2014
    Best Telltale Episode Ever Made
    This episode went through several delays and kept all Telltale fans waiting for two and a half months. And boy was it worth the wait. This episode didn't meet my expectations. It went so far beyond my expectations that you can't even see them anymore.

First off, the plot was creative, interesting, and kept you guessing all the way through. And plus, a lot more happened in this episode than in All That Remains and was a more decent length. Second off, Carver (the main antagonist of the game) is probably one of the best villains in any video game that I've seen in a long time. I swear he's so intimidating that I get chills down my spine every time he speaks. And finally, the climax. I don't want to spoil it, but it will keep you the edge of your seat all the way through.

When I finished "A House Divided" I replayed it a couple hours later just to see how different scenarios played out. It's that good. The Walking Dead is easily one of my favorite video games of all time and if the feeling is mutual towards you, then you'll love this episode.
  • Amari-Sali27 December 2013
    The Walking Dead returns with Clementine as lead, with a whole new adventure.
    • Story

The story for episode 1 "All That Remains" seems to begin not too long after the last season, and then it just 16 months ahead after an incident happens. From there, the ties to the last season are severed and though Clementine will give you opportunities to speak on her memories, largely you are forging ahead. However, unlike last season, there seems to be more drama when it comes to the group you involve yourself in. Between a uncle who seemingly is the father figure to his nephew; a woman who may have cheated on her boyfriend/ husband, though we aren't sure if this was willingly or not; and a father trying to do the exact opposite Lee did for Clementine, we are given quite the foundation for things to happen.

• Controls

When it comes to controls, The Walking Dead does adapt some of The Wolf Among Us, and yet still has the occasional issue. The reason is, unlike The Wolf Among Us, there are more scenes which deal with only giving you a few seconds and, like last season, there are times when in those few seconds you don't easily find yourself being able to defend yourself and dying because of it.

Outside of that, the controls, on PC, feel largely responsive and I didn't have any major issues outside of trying to use the mouse to do stitches, and during one walker fight.

• Combat Difficulty & AI

As noted in the Controls section, the difficulty of AI mostly comes from either lack of dexterity or however you control Clementine. As for the actual combat, you don't get the same level of combat The Wolf Among Us had like when you were fighting The Woodman. Remember, you are fighting as Clementine so largely you are fighting at a disadvantage and are more so looking to grab something and try to get an advantage than looking like Buffy the Walker Slayer.

• Graphics & Presentation

From the first season to this season you can definitely see many graphical upgrades, though the series remains more focused on telling a story than giving us the type of graphics which will leave you in awe. However, even as I say this, they have created more depth in environments, of which mostly are woods, and this detail should be noted.

But, while depth has been added to the environment, naturally, there are invisible walls which keep you from really exploring the areas. In fact, I would say that while the story remains this sort of delta, the areas have become a bit more linear. This isn't as much exploring, at least in this episode, and in a way I think it is for the best.

• Miscellaneous

When it comes to some of the decisions, I must say that sometimes it feels like the game is sort of setting you up to fail, like in the beginning of the game when you go into the bathroom and leave your gun on the sink. Because of this, the game feels like it steers you a bit more than the first season and, just a tad, makes you feel less in control. However, it is nowhere near the level of Beyond: Two Souls. You do feel the story and decisions you make will have long term consequences, it is just it feels like they, on occasion, don't give us the option to avoid some situations.

• Multiplayer (N/A)

• Praise

When it comes to praise, the biggest thing worth noting is the fact it feels like the ideal sequel. We have a familiar face we have grown attach to, and it doesn't feel like a rehash of the original. Changing the perspective to Clementine gives us this ability to see the world through the eyes of a child and not the usual masculine figure. With this comes a sense of real vulnerability and helplessness, yet some type of hope because life is only starting to become a burden for you don't have full responsibilities yet.

• Criticism

But, as noted in the miscellaneous section, I do feel that because she is a child, and we are given the decisions a child would make, it does create frustrations while playing. Be it not grabbing her gun while hiding, not re-securing an area she was in, and a few other matters, this can become a bit aggravating. On top of that, being that these episodes aren't long, you are left with a lot of questions about what has happened since episode 5 of the last season, and aren't given much, if any, answers sadly.

• Overall – Buy

After being forced to replay season 1 because my save didn't show up/ import, I can say without any second thought that this episode will please fans of season 1. Though this episode is more for setting up the foundation of the future than clearing up things that happened in the past, the future it presents makes me think that TellTale Games will likely be the early THQ. The reason I say that is, THQ used to make so many licensed games, which honestly were bad, but the style TellTale uses truly sort of brings not just the approachable aspect, but also something which feels well rooted in the original content's universe. I will say though, if the option were available, I would say to rent this rather than buying it, despite it being $25. After all, each episode is only a few hours long, and unless you want to know what each decision would do, I'm not sure why you would play an individual episode more than once, at least until the season is over and you can know what those decisions will lead to.
  • Antonio Fonseca29 May 2014
    What an outstanding episode!
    After watching the release trailer of "In Harm's Way" I was expecting already an excellent episode considering the way the previous one ended and, damn it, I was completely blown away! Congratulations to Telltale for creating a great and credible antagonist. I was so angry and so frustrated with Carver that all I wanted to do was to make him suffer.

I always believed Clementine had always a small dark side inside her and this episode confirms my suspicious. The Walking Dead Season 2: Episode 3 - "In Harm's Way" can show you a darker and vengeful Clementine where we can witness it during her talk with Carver and the last scene with Kenny in the end of the episode.

Overall, don't lose this episode because this is Telltale at their best and the ending is so bad-ass that that it will make you want to play the 4th episode right away! It's a pity that we have to wait 1/2 month(s)
  • jpercy-200-51947425 March 2014
    Brilliant but far to short
    Awesome game and i love every episode but can we handle the long release dates and episodes getting shorter? i mean season 2 was meant to be every month and it ending up being like 2-3 months after the 1st episode, I've got a feeling episode 3 won't be here till at least june, I'm sorry but whats happening to the length of each episode as well this is by far the shortest and doesn't seem half as long as season 1 episodes, does anyone know why they are so short when we get games like final fantasy and the beautiful ni no kuni which i recently finished after several hundred hours of play, i understand the play is different and making choices that give you other outcomes must affect the game but i really was surprised by how short this episode was, although i love the game, waiting 3 months for 20mins gameplay is not my idea of fun, I will stick with this season but I'm afraid next time i will be waiting till the whole game is made and released and buy it then
  • Amari-Sali26 May 2014
    As Clementine takes on a bigger role in decision making, you are left wondering what will matter for the episode, and what may affect the long term future?
    With Clementine being the character we control, naturally she is to be forced into the forefront of nearly every situation. For, despite her not being a teenager yet, she seemingly is the most hardened one right? After all, she has survived for so long, without being coddled like Sarah, and seemingly she is catching up in terms of the count of horrible things that have happened around, or to, her. But, as Clem is increasingly forced to be the deciding decision, you are reminded of how much having a childhood is a thing of the past in the Walking Dead universe.

Characters & Story

In the story, a lot of the decisions you make deal with your loyalty to Kenny. Be it whether you side with him when it comes to plans on escaping, or not leaving him behind, you are often put in the position where your loyalty to your old friend is met with the majority who seemingly are against his erratic nature. But he isn't the only one whose loyalty will test your patience. Sarah, being that she has been so coddled and is the opposite of Clementine, often will be a potential pain in your butt as you are forced to either stick up for her, or leave her to be punished.

But the odd point comes when Clementine finds herself sitting across from Carver, also called Bill. In these conversations, he notes how alike you two are to the point where you can either decide to go along with his idea you two are the same, or rebel. Something which, based on my choices, seemed to not matter much.

However, a lot of your decisions in 400 days seem to lead to which old faces you may see in the episode. But, outside of Bonnie, most of them don't really interact with you. They have a small moment of interaction with you, or maybe one scene when they are around you, but outside of that it feels like the majority of your decisions in 400 days didn't do much. Making for an overall episode which, to me, was rather exciting because of the sheer amount of decisions noted which seemingly will affect the future story.

Though many of your decisions over the series you can't necessarily say still matter, it is nice when you can note when a possibly tough decision seemed to had made things better, or even worse. Like, gathering all the 400 days folks seem to work in my favor, as well as being nice to Bonnie in the last episode. And while I don't play this multiple times to see how vastly different choosing malice, indifferent, or kind changes responses change things, you do get the feeling through 2-3 playthroughs that perhaps every decision isn't in vain.

Which helps the story immensely. Carver's role creates this opportunity, like how siding with Kenny in the last episode did. The idea of switching to a safer, or the winning team, which is so very tempting, and the ability to betray so easily, or stay loyal, really makes you wonder what could happen. Something I think was missing in the first episode.

Though, it should be noted, you less and less are in control of Clem and more so are going from cut scene to cut scene of you making decisions. Which, admittedly, is kind of weird. Not that exploring, and walking around talking to people, was the best thing during the first season, but it would have been cool if that was available to expand your relationships with characters, help build trust, or distrust, outside of pre-destined screens. Sort of like how your interactions, and exploration, of the house you meet everyone at seemingly decides how Rebecca acts around you.

Overall: Worth Playing

While the game is cutting your ability to free roam and get a look of the environments you are in, honestly it probably is for the best. The Walking Dead doesn't make much for a point and click game where you are going over here to investigate, going back to relay the information you found, and repeat. I mean, it worked, slightly, last season when it came to you investigating things with Duck, but outside of that it was an annoying experience. Though, I must admit, if you recognize the shortcomings of free roam, at least for this series, this more decision based method isn't all that bad. It is something to get used to, but by no means makes the series less than worth playing.
  • Claudio Bourque5 August 2017
    Contain Spoilers - Entertaining but story makes no sense and player decisions have little impact
    I loved the season 1 This season had fewer choices to make and the choices didn't seem to affect the story much. I felt more like I was watching cut-scene after cut-scene than playing a game. This game is based on the story, but the story of season 2 made no sense. It's insulting to anyone with basic intelligence.

*****Spoiler Below***** The story revolves around the baby but the baby would not survive long without the mothers milk or baby food. Lots of things didn't make any sense but this was the one that was the most aggravating for me.