• This suspense film looked good in the trailer so my husband and I watched it. For about 90% of the film, I would have rated it a 6. It is a typical female stalker type thriller and the stalker actress (the 'student') is pretty damn scary.

However, the ending of this film bumps this down to a dismal 2. I literally screamed at the TV. It's like the network or director decided to go for an upbeat ending at the last second, and changed the last two pages of the screenplay. Nothing that comes before makes the ending credible in any way. Horrible. Truly horrible. It would be like Fatal Attraction ending with the couple engaged in a happy polygamous relationship with the Glenn Close character after she'd killed their bunny and everything else.

No. Just no.
  • Yet another in the unending flood of colossally terrible Canadian movies, a waste of thousands of feet of celluloid which might better have been used doing a documentary on clams or preserving the dental x-rays of all the prime ministers. The plot is stupid. It's worse than stupid. It's dumb. It's absurd. It's unrealistic. It's clichéd. It's moronic. And although they haven't ceded British Columbia to the United States yet again, as so many of these trashy tokens of Canadian content do, they sure have not set their ridiculous story in Canada. There was that one reference to "flying to Seattle" just to assure us all that this was good old American BS. The wimps who spliced this junk into a thoroughly dreadful movie --- one which should make all Canadians cringe in shame --- did not even have the guts to use the Canadian spelling HONOUR in the title. Why do we keep trying to make movies? Leave that to other more talented nations. Like Botswana. Maybe we can just make the popcorn. We make pretty good popcorn.
  • This movie was terrific, suspenseful, well acted and had serious twists. But most of all this movie was INSPIRING! As a writer, we all face the occasional "block", but on occasion, we know in our hearts what we want to say, sometimes it is the belief that we can't do it and so we stagnate and procrastinate, it is so hard to START! This movie held special meaning for me, as I am in this exact position. But the ending was super fantastic and goes to show that even as social perceptions of jailbirds, felons, ex-cons, and prisoners, there is something great in all of us just dying to get out! I was captivated by this movie! I am compelled now to start my own story! Well done and thank you for such an inspiration! I am grateful! LadyAnn68
  • This Lifetime psycho thriller is a bit different from the usual romantic attachment themes. The psycho wants credit and royalties from a book her teacher wrote that she gave the idea for. I am a fan of Josie Loren from that gymnastics show. She acts quite well as the psycho- like a femme fatale version of Eva Longoria. Worth a watch.
    The expectation in a thriller that pits one writer against another in a bitter rivalry is that there were would be a modicum of credibility. But nothing in "Honor Student" seems credible from the preposterous character relationships to discourse on the art of creative writing.

The fateful meeting of Teresa A. Smith and Nick Howarth occurred in a prison where Nick was teaching creative writing to the inmates. After Teresa told Nick that she was thinking about writing a story about a student who killed her professor, Nick uses that idea for a best-selling novel. That was not an act of plagiarism, yet the filmmakers string the viewer along with the blackmail and extortion threats of Teresa. The witless Nick is so stubborn that he does not want his reputation sullied and gives in to the blackmail.

After stalking and harassing Nick, Teresa feels confident enough to walk in and out of his home, cook him dinner, and bait him until he willingly signs over the rights to his next book to her. Teresa always seems to be wielding a pistol, yet never seems like a threat to use it. Characters are held at gunpoint one minute, then laugh it off in the next.

One point is clear from the film's exposition: Teresa was guilty of manslaughter in the murder of her writing teacher. She was also guilty of assault, harassment, and blackmail. But it was never truly believable that she was capable of writing a successful novel like Nick. The filmmakers worked overtime in the attempt to "empower" Teresa with creative writing abilities that she never possessed. For Creative Writing 101, this film merits the grade of "D."
  • Josie Loren is the cutest person I've seen. It's great watching and looking at her!! That's about all the good I saw in this mess. This is one of the dumbest movies that I've ever seen!! The law enforcement is the usual LMN dumb and couldn't find his rear with both hands. The whole thing goes from absurd to Twilight Zone absurd. The ending is really something from another planet and this isn't science fiction. I thought it would be good but was shown a different story that I thought especially when the law enforcement refused to do anything. I thought filing a complaint for harassment was sufficient in our current country of residence. Watch it if you want to see Josie Loren. She is pretty.
  • Teresa Smith is one of the inmates attending Nicholas Howarth's writing class. Nick draws out a story from her which turns out to be the murder she committed. He uses that story and writes a best selling book. Five years later, he's happily married to Lana. She's newly pregnant but reluctant to tell him the news. Then Teresa comes back into his life wanting recognition and half of the money for her story.

Nick is such a pathetic character that he makes it hard to sit through. Teresa is a good psycho character but there are so many issues. At least, Nick eventually goes to the sheriff about the ex con stalking him. It's almost salvaged until Teresa hits herself with the ketchup bottle. It is one of the silliest staged event. The movie cannot recover and then the story nosedives in one of the most ridiculous endings. Talk about writer's block. I've never seen it portrayed in that way although originality is no saving grace in this case. This is really bad.
    I'm a huge fan of LMN movies but that was one of the lamest endings to a movie I have ever seen.