• larrymeers17 July 2017
    Don't understand all the hate.
    Before i saw this movie i looked at some people's opinions about it and i saw mostly negative reviews, so i was really nervous going into this movie thinking that i would have had the same reaction to it and seriously i have no idea what those people are talking about.

So War for the planet of the apes is the 3rd film in the new prequel/Reboot of the planet of the apes movies. And this is about Caeser going on a journey to stop a war between his apes and an army of highly trained soldiers, while he also tries to control his more violent instincts.

First the obvious, the CGI is amazing and is truly a technological marvel to cinema. Andy Serkis once again plays the ape ruler Caesar and is easily the best movie character in recent years, in each film he has gotten progressively better and in this one it is definitely the best performance. The story is great and is well acted throughout. This movie is also an amazing drama. There are a lot of moments that just make you jerk a tear every once in a while and its believable. The action sequences are pretty good too. Woody Harrelson plays the colonel and he does a pretty good job at it (He is not as good as koba but still good). He is just a character that you can relate to and you understand why he is doing all of this. Caesar and the colonel are pretty relatable. As much as i would love to say how great this movie is, i better stop right here.

I loved every part of this movie and i did not find anything i did not like about it, but i am gonna talk about why i think most people were disappointed with this film. So if you watched all the trailers and looked at the title you may be expecting one thing, a ton of apes and humans fighting with guns and rockets. But although there is some of that in this movie, its definitely not the main point of it. This movie to its core is about the war that a person faces emotionally while war is happening around him. We see this concept with Caesar all the way through the movie.

It also talks about what terrible things a person or people would do in a war. Woody Harrelson's character does what he does because he believes that the entire human race is going to go extinct if he does not act. I mean, would you do that if you knew that you could slowly be replaced by another species?

So some people do not like this film because they were expecting a full on hardcore war movie. And it is that, but it really is a commentary about how a person has a war within themselves when war is happening around them. And people either missed, did not care, or did not understand the more darker themes about this movie.

But anyway, in the end i thought this movie was a masterpiece in every way it could have been. It has amazing CGI, performances, action sequences, dark themes, tear jerking moments, and a beautiful moral to it. A+ or 10/10 APES TOGETHER STRONG!
  • ctc503017 July 2017
    beautifully filmed non-existent plot and unrelatable characters plus a bunch of nonsense
    I enjoyed the first few minutes of fighting in the forest and the rest of the movie is just insufferable. Nothing makes much sense and the pacing is so slow that I almost dosed off for a while. The good cinematography and CGI does not make up for the lack of a decent plot and forced character build-up.

One example is that the little girl did not give a sh*t when she discovered that her father (who supposedly risked everything escaping from the military to protect and care for her) had been killed by the apes but later was clearly moved to tears by the death of one of apes who's been round and for a few days and gave her a flower one time (maybe daddy just never put flowers in her hair and that's like her thing?). I guess the writers' reasoning is that Caesar and the apes are the good guys, and the girl's father tried to kill them, so he must be a bad guy, so no sympathy for him, oh no no no, not even from his own daughter, who needs to be on the good side later, because plots! So you can see how this kind of character development successfully makes me unable to empathize with any of the characters in this movie (to be honest, I did feel for the girl's dad, poor guy).

Perhaps the most irritating thing is the messy way the apes communicate with each other. While most of them seem to be fluent with sign languages and occasional 'O-O-' noise that makes them 'apish', Caesar and a few other main characters can also speak some English with broken grammar. Sometimes Caesar speaks English to apes that only do signs and they seem to understand it (then why don't they just speak English themselves or why don't Caesar just use sign language which others are more comfortable with?). I know these things are there to make the movie more 'realistic' but they don't work and only add to more confusion and unnecessary suffering for the audience. Sometimes other apes sign to Caesar behind his back and he totally gets it without even looking at them! This kind of mixing up nonsensical things just makes my OCD explode, not to mention 90% of the movie is listening to this slow and boring enunciation of infantile broken English or reading subtitles.

I can go on, but I don't want to. I wish I had the courage to walk out of the theater half way through the movie but I was a coward and instead I weep for the future of cinema.
  • fkarpenko22 July 2017
    Some of the worst writing I have ever seen
    I was first reluctant to see this film when my friend invited me but after seeing that it has a whopping 8.1 rating and remembering that the previous films were quite enjoyable I was prepared to see a truly good movie. I was incredibly disappointed. **SPOILERS** My first trouble with the film happened with the appearance of the little girl, who seemed to serve absolutely no purpose other than to spontaneously cause tear- jerking moments which were accompanied by sad music in every instance. Throughout the film there must have been around 10 of these, all of them completely pointless and forced. It also baffled me that she had close to 0 reaction to her father dying yet, when a gorilla who she had known for literally one day died, she wept like it was her brother. Another massive problem is that the entire plot of this movie hinges on one condition: that every single person out of the ~1,000 soldiers at the concentration camp is a complete and utter imbecile. Caesar's crew is running around right outside of the walls of the camp? Of course no one notices, why would anyone be on over-watch at a military base? All of the monkeys escape from their cages? Of course there was only one person watching over them. In addition to that, for the duration of what seemed like 10 minutes no one else even noticed that all the monkeys were gone or that the single guard watching over them was killed. Are these real soldiers!? Even statistically, what are the chances that not a single soldier looked at a cage that is in plain view from any part of the camp. These were just the most glaring issues I had with the film. So little thought went into the script. These are incredibly basic problems which could have been fixed with even the slightest effort, This movie was so incredibly dumb that even my friend who doesn't have much interest in film asked me if I wanted to leave before the film was over.
  • sswilkinson16 July 2017
    No, it's not really thought provoking, or a very good film at all.
    I've seen the original Planet of the Apes with Charlton Heston and Roddy McDowell, I've seen the remake with Tim Roth, I've seen thousands of films during my life. War for the Planet of the Apes seemed to me as simply a showcase for the digital ape effects.

It's full of closeups of different digital ape faces against a blurry background. Af if it's 1957 and we should be marveling at new Disneyland animatronic characters. It's full of distant shots of digital chimps scurrying around. That's most of the movie.

What people are saying is thought provoking, is a simple illustration of two groups in conflict. Draw comparisons to Nazis and Jews, black and white, Shia and Shi'ite, slave and slave owner. The same "thought provoking" questions arise.

The only difference here is that it's put into a science fiction context - what if apes were as smart as humans? Well, what if cats were? Or squirrels? Had this been an action film, I'd say OK, it's an action movie and it's fine. But it isn't. It has some action, but is not an action film. It's mostly a very slow moving, dull, inarticulate drama.

Inarticulate in two ways. A lot of the apes use sign language instead of speech, and the script is not clever or intellectual. A few flashes of well written dialog come up during an exchange between the Colonel (Woody Harrelson) and Caesar (digital ape) and that's all there is. Less than five minutes. The rest of the dialog is mainly focused on vengeance and war or merciful understanding. There's no complexity or intellectual stimulation here.

I'm shocked that nearly all professional film critics give this movie a high rating and praise. Perhaps they all received $5,000 checks from the film studio.
  • Mona K28 July 2017
    there is something deeply wrong with so many IMDb user
    I am astonished, truly, that a hollow movie like spider-man; homecoming that is instantly forgettable and fixated on lame themes of stupid first-world teenage angst scored better user reviews than this masterpiece. it really says a lot about the mindlessness of modern cinema audiences, especially when the main argument is that ' there isn't enough war'. that said, user reviews are moronic. Planet of the apes is a triumph, really touching and thought, provoking on so many levels. i saw it days ago and the emotion of the film is still very fresh in my mind. in fact the more it occurs to me, the richer the movie becomes. if this is not nominated in the best film Oscars category, then the Academy is as daft as so many IMDb users.
  • pat-495-7397236 August 2017
    How somebody can think this is a good movie is beyond me
    This movie is absolute trash. I am a huge fan of the franchise, including the first two installments of the reboot. This film was incredibly disappointing. The plot was almost non-existent, the pacing was all over the place, the tone kept juggling and the development was forced.

It felt like they had no clue how to end the trilogy, so they threw together a ton of walking inserts, and landscape shots with sprinkles of action sequences sparingly used throughout. Slow movies do not bother me but pretentious garbage like this film is entirely not watchable. The solid cinematography and good use of CGI to not make up for the nonsensical plot.

Do yourself a favor and wait on this one. Believe all the bad reviews, I was anxiously awaiting the release of the film, only to be let down. Biggest disappointment of the summer by far.
  • markking-0693219 July 2017
    one of the worst films I've seen in the cinema!
    First time I've ever wrote a review on IMDb.

The title says its all, if you're going to watch this film, watch the first 10mins and the last 20mins, you could go out of the cinema mid-way through and hardly miss anything.

The first planet of the apes was the best, 2nd was good enough, 3rd is just is just rubbish.

Spoiler Towards the end of the film there is a massive oil tank in the middle of the compound where the soldiers were holding out (dumb place to put it), then getting attacked by Apache helis, you would think the massive group Apache helis could take the compound out about a mile away, instead they are flying all beside each other flying over head.

poor story line, poor acting, poor directing, awful film, don't bother wasting your money.
  • Emmet_L_Brown15 August 2017
    War? Still looking for it...
    I should have read the reviews here before going to the theatre, would have saved me the ticket, petrol, and parking.

I must have dozed off at least four times and the plot has more holes than a slice of Emmental cheese.

No war whatsoever, nada, zero, zilch. Some guerrilla combat(?) and that was it. The only war I saw was me fighting to keep awake.

Go read a book instead

• jmcternan-9157428 July 2017
    I'm thinking of all the incredible scripts lying in drawers around the world...that will never see the light of a boardroom.
    Oh I tried to ignore the propaganda, I really did, the first two films of this trilogy are very good films (and not in a back handed "for a summer blockbuster" sort of compliment), but this is an awful 150 million misstep. This is my 2nd review ever and I don't review things unless they particularly rub me the wrong way.

I'll be spelling certain words wrong to get around word gagging orders on IMDb.

War of the Planet of the Apes literally beats you over the head with this defecation of the human spirit, I'm in awe of how blatantly forward it is and I love good sci-fi commentary. (Battlestar Galactica and The Wire are some of my favorite pieces of fiction)

Here in this script we have no sympathy for Harrelson's and humanity's understandable dilemma as to how to beat a virus that is causing humans to lose their speech and higher faculties. They don't even have the balls to have the apes wipe out what's left of the human army as that would make the apes even more obviously terrible than they already are; so they have a natural disaster do the job. The blond girl/child that they carry with them goes to live with the apes, dumb(from the virus) but happy.......and humanity's downfall is complete. Even though exalt the child's beauty early in the film! But what is beauty without brains ultimately?

What great moral lesson was I supposed to glean? That humans are so terrible that we should walk quietly into the night? Oh look the apes are thick.....but some of them are funny Totally worth it!

Conversations and plot points are so monosyllabic that it was almost orgasmic when Woody Harrelson turned up to speak more than than the few grunts that we hear up to this point and FINALLY gives us a reason to care.

Bonus points for cultural maxisms (spelled wrong to get around censorship) is when the blond child cries over the ape who is killed that she has known for all of two scenes but doesn't even flinch when her father is killed by said group of apes.

Go out to the beach with your kids, hell even go the beach or lake by yourself, hell go further, go out when its raining and make some memories.

Also I'm not the slightest bit Christian and I can see this picture is blatantly not only anti-Christian but to the non religious out there as well its this......anti human, anti intelligence
  • D-Defoe13 July 2017
    Apes are the better humans now?
    What I do not like about this movie is the basic message: Humans in comparison to animals cannot be trusted, they show no mercy, the animals reach the higher ethical ground and should survive and reign the world.

How is the goal of this message achieved? First, the whole movie plot is filmed from the perspective of the ape- society, their families, their friends, their love and their sorrows. Unlike the perfectly arranged classical Charleton Heston movies in the 60s which bore a shock element in a dark post-nuclear, post-apocalyptic world, where mankind destroyed itself, this movie aims at showing the worthlessness of human beings. The little blonde girl whose father got shot dead by Cesar, didn't loose a single teardrop for her father, but after a short while befriends herself with the apes, starts crying for a dead gorilla, who gave her a flower, gives water and food to the imprisoned killer of her father, Cesar, and feels herself quite comfortable now growing up as a monkey daughter in the sense of a Tarzan, yet in a considerable lower social position.

Second, other humans, except maybe for Woody Harrelson as a pittiful leader of a small company, do not have character depth in this movie, and are basically the enemies, and except for the little blonde girl, they all die, either killed by monkeys, by themselves, or by a snow avalanche.

What a stupid movie! What a stupid message! Worthliness of human beings is being shown here. Of course the human is bad from nature (described as sinner), as the Bible tells us, but he is not worthless, and as Gods creation is above the animals. Here you see the perversion of this idea to the extent.

Now to the ambiance: Cold, snowy, Alaska-like landscape, no cities, no larger Human or animal dwelling places. Most of the time 5 apes and the little blonde girl take the central part in the non-inhabited boreal wilderness on seek of revenge.

The fights: starting with a tactical nonsense Human uphill assault with well equipped tactical weapons against spears and still being lost. Only 3 humans and a silver-backed Gorilla get captivated, and after a short interrogation get released by Cesar, but later become his fiercest enemies again. Major explosions quite in the end of this almost two hours movie. I spare to pinpoint the many flaws of the fights there, just dumb.

Better title in this case would be: "War for the little ape reserve in the Northern Alaska (or whatever landscape it represented)"

Cesar's portrayal - in the beginning: the good leader - in the middle: the bad revenge seeker - at last: and the ugly Spartacus in the workingcamp Conclusion of the movie: all humans dead (except girlie who feels herself as a monkey) and the long exodus to sunny monkey land next to a big evening-sun-bathed lake, where they all lived happily there after,...oh no, not all, Cesar finally died from his arrow wound, which he survived for the 1000 km trek through the deserts of death Valley (or whatever location it represented), with a last glimpse of his little monkey-boy playing with the little blonde human girl, he died right in the arms of his Orang-Utan friend Murksy, Mopsy...forgot the name. Bad.

• grc71915 July 2017
    Go to a zoo and see real apes instead.
    Seriously, if you want to see 2 hours of apes locked in a cage then just go see it in person at your local zoo. The $15 admission fee is for about the 15 minutes of CGI. This movie dragged on for so long that I actually began rooting for the humans just so this thing would end. It truly has more plot holes than the Zapruder film. And that's not even mentioning the absurd ending that makes absolutely no sense.

Woody Harrelson is still a legend.
  • alistairc_200014 July 2017
    Skirmish of the planet of the apes.
    Pierre Boulle the French novelist wrote Planet of the Apes (Originally The Monkey Planet). A classic SF novel. In 1968 it was filmed and so started the cinematic journey which leads to this. I watched Battle for the Planet of the apes as a young man. I thought that this movie was going to be along the same lines as that movie. After all, all of the trailers pitch it as a war between the apes and man. I was really looking forward to it. I liked the last two movies. They were not as good as the original series but were still interesting SF movies in their own right. Also, everything has been better than the Tim Burton Planet of the apes.

So I put on my 3d glasses and sat down in Wood Green London to watch the war that would change the face of the planet. So there is a brief skirmish. Then the head ape Corny (as the plot is) sets out to find those responsible for doing wrong to him (yawn). Bring on the WAR I thought. Then they ride around for a bit. Next, we get Escape from Colditz, the great escape or Prison Break. I am still waiting for the promised war. At that end, there is a battle. Not against the apes as they are all escaping. Though unfortunately none of them get on a motorcycle and try to jump over barriers.

I walked out of the cinema and thought what a pile of dung.

The 3d is pathetic. Really this is a movie that could have been good in 3d but wasn't. It is at least 40 minutes too long. Also, it is not the movie they promised. There are no wars in it. It is littered with mistakes. My favourite is the 350-pound gorilla on a horse. No, that horse would have been dead.

Lastly and this is my normal grump. Why did it not say it was based on Planet of the apes by Pierre Boulle? No mention of him in this shamefully bad movie.

I really wanted to like this movie. What I got was a movie that surpassed Burton's POTA's for the worst one in the series.
  • morehabanero19 July 2017
    Monkey Poo
    I've walked out of movies before, but never have I walked deeper and deeper into total disdain for over 2 excruciating hours. Completely convoluted and nearly nonsensical plot, wrapped in a farcical attempt to be profound, while being utterly transparent in its attempt to copy some iconic movies and characters (Ape-ocalypse, really?!). This total monkey poo is actually what will wipe out our species by making us all stupider with every passing minute we watch it. Life is too short, go do something more worthwhile, like watching paint dry. That said, had some moments of real emotion coupled with top-notch CGI. And, it totally succeeds in making critics look like total morons.
  • rstefdc18 July 2017
    what a joke
    140 minutes of silly CGI monkeys not at war at all. message is pathetic. monkeys are better than humans that deserve to be wiped away. a true NWO flick that envisions their idea of exterminating us. the final avalanche is the classic symbolism of nature taking revenge and wiping away all the bad humans on both fronts, sparing only the monkey along with the mute, Jane-like baby blonde avoid this garbage at all cost.
  • Dane Parsons29 July 2017
    Boring terrible film, nearly walked out
    This film is s disgrace to the franchise, I really want my money back!!!

FiretrUCK you Matt Reeves!

With Ceasar and his apes in a cave, which is stupid, he should be a military commander with generals and ape soldiers, don't make them want to live in harmony with nature. The apes are smarter now. they should want to at least share the planet andfight for it, don't start them out to be weak and isolated primates with no clothes after what happen in Dawn.

The apes get attacked by the Colonel where we no nothing about him. which we get a glimpse later which makes little sense why he wants to wipe out all the apes.

Where are the people like PETA that actually like the apes and support their right to exist?

Then 4 apes go on a infiltration mission, no full scale war. which most get captured anyway except for Murrice and a little girl no one cares about.

The whole movie I could have watched at the zoo because it is just has apes in cages nearly the whole film.

Then the final showdown is muted Colonel who shoots himself. Most boring f***ing film I have seen in a long time.

The writers would find a new day job!
  • Nathan Pease14 July 2017
    So bad and so cliché
    I don't often write reviews, but this was the first movie I walked out on in a long time.

I really liked the first two movies in this trilogy, but this movie was so bad. The story is so cliché and has been told 100 times over. The directing was horrible and most of the music and dialog was so cheesy. They even threw in a Jar Jar Binks character for some cringe worthy comic relief.

There was no reason given for the plot and there was no reason to care about Caesar or the apes. Having to listen to a bunch of apes squawk like 2 year old children while reading subtitles the entire movie was just the needle that finally broke this camels back.

I want the two hours of my life I wasted on this back!
  • fallon_rod13 August 2017
    Worst Movie Ever
    I will never watch a movie from Matt Reeves again Complete disaster and waste of time and life.

Nothing like the first 2 movies

It was like watching mentally challenged people for 2 hours with no solid storyline

I wanted everyone to die by the end, including the apes.
  • inforaza22 July 2017
    Where is the promised WAR? Why is the movie so slow?
    If you've not seen War of the Planet of Apes, here's a Warning: THERE IS NO WAR IN THE MOVIE AT ALL!

What exist are just skirmishes between humans and the imprisoned apes who were trying to escape.

In fact, it is a FLOP movie! Only 15 people were watching the show.

The first 75% of the movie is very, very slow and the movie is 30 minutes too long (actual length is 2hr 20 mins). This is because the story-writer hopelessly failed to think of ways to add Thrill and a real War – but, instead, made the plot move at a snails' pace just to elongate the movie time.

In fact, this film could easily have finished in 1 hr and 30 minutes. Not a second more.

The movie ends in an "unconvincing" manner: One military faction is eliminated by another military group. And this group is eliminated by a roaring Avalanche. This helps the apes to escape to the dessert they were planning to relocate on.

NOTE: The Avalanche was created because the story-writer could not think of a way for the apes to attack and defeat the military faction. How Convenient! LOL!

The only great thing about this movie is the CGI which makes the apes look 100% realistic. The Avalanche too looks realistic. The visuals and cinematography is great.

WPA is an extremely "unconvincing" end to a trilogy whose first 2 episodes are just Moving & Thrilling – which touched your heart and mind. They made you feel for each of the characters.

I feel like giving TIGHT SLAPS across the faces of Writers Matt Reeves and Mark Bomback, just as I felt like giving the same to Roland Emmerich for Independence Day 2.
  • cks11663324 July 2017
    What an extremely disappointing end to two great movies
    To start, this is the first movie I've ever reviewed. After seeing this movie I felt the need to get my opinion out.

So, what a long journey from the city of Misstreadedville with a final destination at Depressingland it was. You're telling me it's not enough that he is running for his life to save his people (depressing). His wife and one kid get killed (even more depressing). But wait, there's more, he and his people become slaves (thanks for reminding me about the worst tragedy in the history of the world).

So here's our chance for an awesome battle with good apes and good humans. Epic action to see Caesar be his hardcore self, right? Nope. We see him battle no one and get shot by the person he spared. What an opportunity for mercy to be given back.

So that's it right? Wrong again. We see super smart Caesar, not plug his wound and travel through the desert bleeding out. As a father he must have some small attachment to his soon to be orphan kid right. Wrong again.

So finally we arrive at Depressingland. To say I demand an alternate/extended ending is an understatement. Please fix this.
  • playagario19 July 2017
    I think the "War" in the movie title was a misspell
    a) The most deceptive movie title there is. It tries to hype you up by adding an epic feeling, but the movie was nothing but garbage. Heck, there wasn't a war, a battle, or even combat.

b) Characters we can't relate to, the portrayal of the characters was even worse.

c) Can someone tell me what the purpose or meaning of this movie was? I'm having trouble finding one.

d) Nothing good about this movie. No action, hardly any story line, no meaning...please don't waste time and money watching this d) I'm going to go to the zoo, film some apes jumping around, and call it "War for the Planet of the Apes". Anyone interested in seeing it?
  • dncorp14 July 2017
    So obvious that the writers Mark Bomback, Matt Reeves, Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver know nothing about anything U.S. Military related.

Author Pierre Boulle of 1963 La Planete des Singes, must be doing backflips in his grave.

The original Planet of the Apes movies (1968, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973) were much better and closer to what the book was about.

These Remakes (to cater to the Millennials (ages 18 to 39)) are just as disappointing as Tim Burton's Failed 2001 Remake, Planet of the Apes.

War, what War?, more like a small skirmish.

(Spoiler) At the Opening Scenes U.S. Military do NOT bunch up and get close together as one handgrenade, RPG, landmine will kill many. U.S. Military use Night Vision Devices to obtain a significant advantage, instead of rifle mounted flashlights with visible laser aiming devices.

(Spoiler) U.S. Military do not choose places that give the Enemy ANY Tactical Advantages (at the bottom of a valley surrounded by mountains, low locations, places that can be flooded, flat terrain). They would never have been at a location subject to rock slides, nor avalanches.

(Spoiler) Standard Operating Procedure U.S. Military do NOT Charge into Enemy Machineguns like World War 1, World War 2, Korean War. Current idea is to use Airstrikes, Cruise Missile Attacks, "Drone" Strikes, Field Artillery, Mortars, Grenade Launchers from a distance (out of Enemy Weapons Range) to completely eliminate the Enemy. Using these Fires the Enemy is trapped like in a trash compacter, with the Fires behind, to the flanks of the Enemy, with the Fires behind the Enemy preventing Resupply or Reinforcements (Ape Cavalry would have become horse meat dog food), the Fires behind the Enemy moves closer forcing the Enemy to leave their Defensive Positions and attack U.S. Military Machinegun fortifications and defensive positions, result the Enemy gets slaughtered.

Humans have had Thousands of Years to develop the Art of War, the Apes nothing, yet the Movie Writers make the Apes appear to have Graduate from U.S. Military War College.

Woody Harrelson, needs to go back to doing what he did best, that innocent ignorant Cheers Employee, not a Colonel, U.S. Military routinely does Psychological Exams, Woody Harrelson would have never made it from O-1 (Second Lieutenant) to O-2 (First Lieutenant) with all the blunders he made.

The Authors need to stop using the successful Anti War movie Apocalypse Now 1979 as a template, and get creative with their own ideas. Watching this was like watching a Political Correct (script written by PETA, as Humans Bad, Animals Good) G Rated version of R Rated Apocalypse Now.
  • Alice C17 July 2017
    This is why people don't go to movies anymore...Long, Boring, Propaganda Galore
    Repetitive, very long and blatant propaganda film. Big bad white Christian's want to enslave minorities er APES (probably also undocumented) in a Nazi style camp and have them build a wall! To keep the other bad apes that kill innocent people out. Trump Derangement Syndrome on full display. How anyone gives this a high rating is beyond comprehension. Don't wast 2.5 hours of your time and valuable money to be spoon fed this liberal Hollywood tripe.
  • gmoorehe18 July 2017
    Sad End to a Trilogy
    I really liked the 1st movie and enjoyed the 2nd so figured the 3rd would be a good ending except they forgot to write a story. This film is 140 minutes long -- with at least 45 minutes too many of ape closeups, or should I say CGI closeups. The sad thing is they could have soared with the 3rd installment but instead made a $150 million dud. Soldiers with modern lethal weapons against apes with spears - just crazy. And the moral of the story, well there really wasn't one except all the human soldiers good and bad got killed while a remnant of apes survived along with a mysterious young girl who joined the apes. I think I would have preferred something where the conflict rises to a crescendo and then ends with a fragile peace with apes and humans learning to live together, not separate. Alas, the "authors" decided that apes and humans can't live together. Let's hope there is never another plant of the apes, ever.
  • michael-desmond-4-64497111 July 2017
    Truly dreadful
    I write this review in the hopes of stopping people wasting their time and money on this terrible movie.

It was boring, cliché, predictable and drawn out to the point that I was hoping for it to end.

I have no idea how this movie got such a high score and it honestly makes me suspicious. I was with two other people who agreed that this was one of the worst movies they had ever seen.
  • thebricks15 July 2017
    Communist Propaganda, Pure and simple
    Just a bad movie, overall. The apes have human intelligence, but still basically live like tribesmen. Caesar and the apes allied with some humans, but they're mysteriously long gone and haven't learned a thing from them, apparently. There's a message throughout the entire film that the apes are being oppressed, Caesar is a saint, almost like Nelson Mandela or something.

The director really tried to send a blunt message in one scene with a cross hanging behind Woody Harrelson's character in his bedroom during an interrogation of Caesar. To me, the anti-Christian message was loud and clear. It was no coincidence at all. I was thoroughly disgusted by that.

The Deux Ex Machina at the end was the last straw. It was the final confirmation of how terrible this movie was. What a shame.