• My Love From Another Star (aka You Who Came From the Stars, etc. ) is a 20-ish episode KTV drama from 2013-2014.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

Story: Alien comes to Earth 400 years ago, learns to live among humans, and eventually falls for a girl right before he has to go back to his home planet. It's a romantic fantasy themed melodrama that has become very popular in this medium over the last decade or so.

This show pulled huge ratings and was a smashing success for its creators. It follows a virtual can't-miss formula for this genre (i.e. good looking actors & actresses in a star crossed love story). The writers of this show certainly know their target audience, and, they delivered exactly what was expected. If you're not part of the target audience however (i.e. guys, people above a certain age, or those that are simply looking for a superbly woven story), this show might not be suited for you.

There's a heavy emphasis on catering to "fan-girls" throughout this series. This show is basically geared towards young women and it provides a very non-threatening view of relationships accordingly. There's nothing wrong with this, but, I think anyone expecting otherwise should be aware of this from the outset. The female lead basically serves as a proxy for viewers to identify with; she lives the lavish fantasy life-style complete with various trials and tribulations to overcome. Meanwhile, there are 2 handsome rich guys for her to choose from; one is the aforementioned alien & main love interest, the other is her childhood friend that dotes on her endlessly. In an indication of how "safe" this show is for young female viewers, the alien love interest is still a virgin and can't even kiss a woman without fainting. He can't handle alcohol either, but he does happen to have chivalrous values, super-powers to protect our heroine, and a rockin' set of abs.

The childhood friend represents Plan B for our heroine if things don't work out with the alien. He's walking a very fine line between "nice guy that will always be there for her" vs. "obsessive stalker that won't leave her alone". This guy's older brother portrays the villain from central casting; he's good looking too, but in a fashionably evil way. He plays your typical Chaebol heir lunatic that must control everything while eliminating everybody that gets in the way, and, this show goes to great lengths to let you know he's "the bad guy" every time he appears on screen; he's involved in a number of murder/mystery sub-plots that soon finds him facing off against our two leads.

Jun Ji Hyun (Gianna Jun) and Kim Soo Hyun are your two leads; she's the eccentric and conceited top Korean actress, he's the noble alien from Planet "Korean Hunky Dude". Gianna Jun is a hugely successful Korean film star, but her presence and style of acting does seem somewhat ill-suited for the small screen; she's a movie star that should be starring in movies, not playing stock KTV "damsel in distress" roles. Kim Soo Hyun is a star in the making, and seems to be a capable enough actor; he's given a predictable K-drama male part as the "stoic white knight". As such, he's allowed few opportunities to show much range that are afforded these types of roles. The two of them have worked together previously, and they complement each other nicely here. There's a bunch of supporting actors and actresses involved; some current and up and coming talent, along with several K-drama veterans that all did what was asked, but several of these parts were under written and/or non-essential. Acting, overall, was solid throughout.

As expected, production values are quite good, and this show comes complete with loads of stylishly beautiful people. Cohesive storytelling is sometimes lacking however; it's clear the writers were just making things up as they went along (which is not really all that uncommon for these shows), but they really pushed the limits on occasion here, and I found this to be quite irritating. The rules governing what will happen to the alien and what he can/can't do are ever changing; his powers come and go when convenient to the plot, he's apparently not allowed to kill humans or he'll die too (yet he somehow managed to serve 50 years in the military throughout various wars without killing anyone), etc... Random side characters come and go too, without ever being appropriately developed within the overall story; the estranged father shows up just in time to donate blood to save his daughter, then he just disappears again for a while, and, I question the need to tie any of this story into the alien's first encounter with an earth girl. I know they were aiming for a fate/destiny angle here, but that girl in the past really has nothing to do with the woman in the present other than looking similar to her. It's this kind of writing that is really annoying to me, and I see no reason why the writers couldn't still appease their target audience while tightening up the story some. And, while I see many people liked the ending, I can't help but point out that it practically negates the importance of everything that occurred prior to it.

Summary: This will be well received by the crowd it's aimed at. It's not blatantly immature and has enough decent moments for viewers outside of the "in-crowd" to enjoy...I found the little 1st person vignettes throughout the show to be a particularly nice touch. Still, it should have been way better than what it was, and, it could have had the best of both worlds if the producers/writers were willing & able to try a little harder to appeal to a wider audience.

Bottom Line: For the right audience, it's 8-9 out of 10 stars. For "not the right audience", it's closer to 5-6 out of 10 stars. Split decision leaves it at 7 stars IMO.
  • The cutest, craziest, saddest, sweetest Korean drama I've ever seen- although there were handfuls of bitter moments they just made it more thrilling& sweeter. When I first intended to watch this TV drama of my favorite actress Jun Ji Hyun (as I watched and reviewed all her movies and enjoyed a bunch of cute ads also) and went through news of its insane popularity in China, I hardly imagined that a nerd (yet sentimental & melodrama-lover) like me would fantasize and even dream about this fantasy drama throughout the whole show. But as the alien hero professor Do Min Joon ( Kim Soo Hyun) cast his magical spell of mind- blowing coolness (that humble& caring personality really suits him much!), heroine Cheon Song Yi (Jun Ji Hyun)'s cute craziness brought about enjoyable funny moments (even excessive make-ups for lead actress role can't hide her adorable sassy identity) ,cool soundtracks pleased my ears and after all Korean director, script-writer and all the staffs showed expertness in playing with audience's emotions wonderfully as usual so at last it seemed to me- that I loved to be deceived and obsessed in tranquility of fantasy wholeheartedly was destined to happen! Do-Min Joon & Cheon Song Yi- I really loved chemistry of this couple a lot. ^_^
  • This is must watch k drama and it's a mixture of Comedy, Romance, thrill and Emotional, you will definitely fall for it , it is the first drama of many ppl but it's my 36th k drama but still I can't compare it with any other drama and I would like to keep it on top in my favourite k drama list .... i wish i could give it endless rating
  • I wish there could be something more than a rating to rate this show. This is seriously the best thing i have ever seen. The story and the acting is just a perfect blend. I have seen this show for numerous times and still i find it fascinating each and every time. It's really great. The effects are just awesome. For a sight you can't say that it's just a dramatic. It feels so real. The turning points of this drama are so interesting. The transformation of the role from a lead actress to a support actress teaches us ways of acceptance. The show is inspiring as well. Talking about true love, yes , it can be seen here. Overall , It was really awesome.
  • beamonkr125 February 2014
    This drama portrays romantic comedy in a new light. It is more than a romance between an alien and a human but is a mystery/crime show as well. As you watch to determine how the romance will play out, you are also intrigued by why the obviously socio-pathic character is killing people and whether or not he will be caught.

The characters are realistic and funny, while not being campy and the outside scenery is beautiful whether reliving 400 years in the past or modern Seoul.

The drama is an analogy of trust. Each character has to learn to trust and be trusted. Also, to learn that there are those who no matter how much you love them can not be trusted.

From beginning to end, it is well worth watching. The writing, directing and cinematography all excellent which is a rarity for this type of Kdrama.
    Boys before flowers is also one of my favourite drama series, but You who came from stars is way better than BFF. it have everything. comedy , romance, melodrama, thriller! this drama is so good that you just cant give a break while watching this series.. completed 21 episodes in 3 nights :) highly recommended 10/10 You Who Came from the Stars aka My Love from the Star has 21 episodes plus a 2min full epilogue.

The plot isn't as simple as an alien who lands on Earth and randomly falls in love with a famous actress. The famous actress Cheon Song Yi (played by Jun Ji Hyun) has been the nation's #1 star until her fame goes down the drain when she is accused of causing the death of another actress. At the same time, Lee Jae Kyung (Shin Sung-rok) is a serial killer who sets Cheon Song Yi as his target. Do Min Joon (Kim Soo Hyun) has been quiet about his alien identity, but he is now determined to protect Cheon Song Yi.

The drama has an original storyline with an alien who has supernatural powers such as teleport and time stopping. What captivates the audience besides the storyline is the personality of the characters. Unique is the right word to describe them.

Cheon Song Yi may seem like an arrogant star at first. But very soon, you'll see her true self and feel sympathy for her. She appears to be strong and conceited on the outside, but she is actually lonely and vulnerable on the inside. She is that lovable character who is hilarious and straight forward, not afraid to be embarrassed. Do Min Joon, the alien who laughs at what human beings call love, cannot help but falls in love with her. Seemingly emotionless, he cares deeply for Cheon Song Yi. Problem is that he has to return to his planet in 3 months.

This drama is truly worth watching. It never fails to deliver suspenseful, comical and romantic moments. Give it a try because no words can really describe how special this Korean drama is!
  • A spaceship from another planet lands on earth, in the Josheon era. The people i.e. the aliens explore their place of landing- the nature, the plants, the animals and the humankind inhabiting it. They take samples of minerals, medicinal saplings, and observe the way of life of the humans. They return after satiating their curiosities about earth, the planet that looks so beautiful from space, from their sky. But by a twist of fate, and entangling of destinies, one of them is left behind while saving a young widow from death.

He lives on earth, adapting to its climate, food, and people and learning the native language. He knows he is not abandoned, and that he has to wait for a long time to return to his home. He is a fast learner, and has superhuman abilities, as per the earthlings' standards. So meanwhile, he reads a lot of books and learns a lot many skills- those required for survival and some as a hobby. He can teleport within a particular distance, can stop time for about a minute, can mind control nonliving things, has great hearing capabilities, and many more traits. But he understands through time and experience that showcasing his abilities does him and the people around him no good. So he starts living incognito, under different identities.

The actual story starts 400 years later, in modern day Seoul. He's presently known as Do Min Joon, a Harvard alumnus, and a professor. Dilemma and confusion starts when he notices the same girl that he once saved, or perhaps someone bearing an exact resemblance to her, after so many years. Is this actress a rebirth, or reincarnation? Is it a totally different person? He enters her life, curiosity getting better of him. Again assuming the role of her protector, ally and savior, he eventually falls for her, way before she realizes her own feelings.

Spice to the story is added by the murder mystery that happens to occur in between, involving conspiring millionaires, detectives, and the protagonists' lives; the romantic comedy, the humor and crazy tactics of the leads; and the play of emotions. What happens to their story, when he has to leave earth in a month? Does he really have no attachments? And what happens when his true nature is revealed? Does he finally return to his universe leaving everyone behind? The 21 episodes is an enjoyable roller coaster ride through the story.

There is not a single boring moment in the sitcom. There's thrill in every episode, fun and laugh-out-loud scenes too.

PS: This is not your ET or 'Koi Mil Gaya'. And aliens here are not ugly and grotesque. They are fairer and more beautiful than normal human being, with a very high lifespan. They are not immortals, nor are they vampires. Vampires don't teleport, remember? So, watch it without presumptions and biases. If you like fantasy, and thrill, you'll enjoy it, sure.
  • tester-8414621 March 2020
    I am not much of a sci-fi fan. I like the real-life dramas portrayed in a real way with no plot holes , however this was so highly rated and I was out of dramas to watch at the moment so I gave it a go. And It was decent....

I have to say the main actor is very well cast, he is so handsome he looks like out of this world like an alien. I think i have a new crush. And he even did a cameo in "Crash Landing on you" I didn't even know!!

The main actress is absolutely gorgeous and adorable. I loved her acting , she is my new favorite Korean actress now. Need to see her filmography

The rest of the cast are all good looking and act well...

The story is 10 episodes too long and stretched out. Ending was kind of confusing but I guess okay. You could watch up to the 8th episode then skip to ep 15 and continue watching .. you wont miss match of the plot. Some of the story especially the interaction with the bad guy in a very soapy style, like dramatic eye contacts , dramatic pauses, 30fps, evil laughs and so on ... that was cheesy and I didn't like , but the romance story was good , wish it was more of it....
  • Took about 10 years off from watching K-Dramas and returned and boy am I happy. I realize that Korean TV series are all better than American TV shows as they are not ruled by Social Justice or Feminism.

You From the Stars was more than I expected. It can be considered an action show, a romance, a comedy, a thriller or even a superhero show.

It's about a man/alien on Earth for 400 years who is about to leave, but through shear coincidence meets a girl. It's a romance with some real great acting and delightful music.

He has powers but as they say with great powers comes.....well You Who Came From the Stars. A real delightful show, innocent and pure, mixed with great action moments and a really nice plot with superb acting.

Must see, TEN OUT OF 10. If you liked shows that are sci fi or even superhero shows...this is for you.
    I am only half-way through this series and completely blown away! For the uninitiated, it's a historical sci-fi romance comedy crime drama. Yes, you heard me right. It somehow mashes up all these genres into one smooth whole and often switches gear, sometimes in mid-scene, without missing a beat.

Briefly, it's about a surly alien (Kim Soo-Hyun) stranded on Earth for 400 years trying to get through his last few months before departure without falling in love with his superstar actress neighbor (Jun Ji-Hyun). Jun carries the entire show from episode one, where she first appears to be just another self-obsessed airhead starlet, gradually revealing layer after layer of complexity as the series develops. She has great comedic timing, strong screen presence combined with stunning looks and hits all the right notes of her obnoxious character. The American remake-in-progress should probably just hire her as their lead. I really can't think of who could pull it off as well as she does.

Another standout is Kim Hyun-Soo as a headstrong young lady who the alien first comes in contact with, and who may be somehow connected to the events of four centuries later...

Sharp, funny writing, great production and costume design, great acting from Jun and the ensemble cast. If you are a fan of sci-fi, romance or any of those genres mentioned above, catch it on Hulu now!
  • This series owned me. Flat out had me at "hello" and kept building on me with each episode.. So well acted by all. Bigtime laughs peppers the tears and the dire moments. Magic is delivered.

I refused to complain about tid-bits in a production that thrilled my nervous system with such a strong love story in a sea of power mad agendas. I'm sure others can give this less than ALL STARS. But, hey, the actors were all stars, so why not?

The biggest problem is NO SEQUEL.

This series knows how to love faces. So many close-ups that should have had me looking for skin bumps and ear hair instead had me involved in ten second long emotions being obviously processed -- like I said, good acting.

Start the series. See if you can quit after a few episodes.

I'm 75 years old, retired white married guy -- not a push over, but I kept getting serious binge dynamics. Saw all 21 episodes in three days. Be warned. Clear your calendar.

(I posted this exact review -- mistakenly -- for another similarly titled series, but this is the TV series I saw.)
  • The story is quite well written with a fairly complex plot that keeps you interested and it's surprisingly funny in parts. Even the supporting characters are quite endearing. There are some slightly painful scenes that could have been left out. 21 episodes was probably too much for the story.

The charm of the lead actors Kim Soo Hyun and Gianna Jun keeps this show afloat. She does a good job of being cute. With some one else less capable the character could have become annoying.

Worth a watch.
  • arpanlbhoknal7 August 2019
    Awesome storyline, Mixture of Fun,Love and Romance... Fabulous role-play by cast...
  • Yes, I'm giving this show 9 out of 10 stars (I'm dinging it one star because the logic of how the ending takes place is a bit too much of a stretch). The characters in this show, particularly the heroine are Painful to watch. I am not joking. I would get so upset watching her stupidity I would have to stop watching an episode for the day and come back to watch the rest the next day. That being said, the characters and the story are adorable and incredibly (and surprisingly) likable, including this heroine that is such a ditz. The story is INCREDIBLY addicting and just kept me coming back for more. The special effects (except for one very funny scene with the heroine's little brother) are generally excellent and quite acceptable for the story. The fellow playing the villain did an excellent job playing a sociopath. The writing of his character was great, and there is enough genuine threat against our protagonists to keep me anxious as to how the story could possibly turn out all right given the situations they are put in. It was a lot of fun to watch, but as I said it was also very painful to watch too just because our heroine is painfully stupid sometime. It just hurts watching her stick her foot in her mouth over and over again. But you really do start rooting for this unlikely couple and wondering if they can possibly stay together. I recommend the show if you don't mind subtitles and like screwball romantic comedy with a good dose of thriller and sci-fi thrown in.
  • Far more depth in the side characters than you would expect. Made funny and sometimes poignant by it's metatextual framing within the showbiz world.

She's super annoying at the beginning, but then she's supposed to, and she doesn't get 'punished' as much as simply living the life lesson, which I appreciate. I came to genuinely like her as a person.

I'm 2/3 into it and I can't say about him and his alien plot yet, but he's brought some lovely comedy as the straight man character.
  • Man Who Came You from the stars into the latest drama that aired in December supersedes Korean drama The Heirs . Man You Came from The Stars Who starring Sho Hyun Kim and Giana aka Jun Ji Hyun June . Well this 2 star no doubt his acting skills , Kim So Hyun and June Giana paired in film The Thieves well this time they met in a drama .

The drama also marks his comeback to the world of drama Giana June after his last drama Happy Together (1999 ) , and So Hyun own drama For a successful comeback after starring in The Moon That Embraces The Sun .

You The Man Who Came From The stars are supported by the writer Park Ji Eun is already writing a script My Husband Got a Family ( 2012) and My Wife is a Superwoman (2009 ) by Jang Tae Yoo , director of drama Deep - rooted Tree ( 2011) and The Painter of the Wind (2008 ) .

Korean drama Man ​​from the Stars or also called You Who Came from the Stars / My Lover from the Stars is the story of an alien named Do Min Joon ( Kim Soo Hyun ) who fell to earth 400 years ago, in the era of the Joseon Dynasty . Until the modern era , Do Min Joon still alive and working as a professor at a university .

Physically , Do Min Joon looks almost perfect as a man . But as an alien , he has a lot of advantages not possessed by ordinary human beings . Do Min Joon's life finally changed when she met and fell in love with an actress named Cheon Song Yi ( Jun Ji Hyun ) . What about the next story ?
  • personablyyy23 March 2014

• amitlibra10 October 2019
    If you want to watch romance, fantasy, sci-fi, drama, comedy then this series is perfect for you go ahead and watch it. It has 21 episode i can ensure that you will not get bored. The acting of characters are just awesome. I like Korean drama and i like this too. You can watch this with anyone, it has no such scene that can stand you in awkward conditions. Really like this series. If the characters will same in season 2 i will definitely watch it.
  • I would have given it an 8 but my emotional and sentimental part won the cinflict so I was persuaded to give it a 9. This is because there were too many scenes in which I rolled my eyes saying "come on dude, this is simply illogical". Or mayne because i did not empathise with neither of the main characters. Simply they are not my favourites in all the k drama shows that i have seen. I have seen here also in Legend od the blue sea and I rated it with 8. What i have found interesting though it is the fact that for the first time the female lead takes the first step into confessing the feelings and trying to convince the main lead to be in a relationship. For Korean culture this really seems important. Another good point would be that there were not so many and not so boring side stories. I usually skip these parts in dramas bit here i jad nothing to skip. All in all, it was a nice tv show to watch.
  • dajanadae23 May 2020
    I love it! It's a beautiful series from the beginning to the end.
  • Loved the series totally. The characters are good. Loved the couple.
  • nigerbd30 April 2020
    Great
    This is my first ever korean drama and in lockdown. I never know anything about Korea. After watching this drama I have become addicted by korean drama.
    Hey this teledrama is super please we need season 2 please
  • Excellent acting by Ji-Hyun Jun, so expressive full of emotions. One of the few tv series which kept getting better even after 10-15 episodes. I loved even the penultimate n ultimate episodes. Must see for those who are fan of romantic series. I binged watched this in 3-4 days. Now I have become a Kdrama addict πŸ˜‚πŸ‘Œ
  • mithleshrajkazama27 January 2019
    Roara coster of emotions and very addictive after watching first episode after that you definitely watch more episode