• leonavthomas25 September 2014
    The best new series for a long time. Reece Shearsmith's portrayal of DS Sean Stone was beautifully observed and sensitively acted. Alex Kingston and Noel Clarke were equally well-cast and produced excellent supporting characters. Alfie Field, who played Alex Kingston's screen son gave a fresh and convincing performance. The relationships between the characters developed and deepened throughout the episodes. I was fully absorbed and for the first time in quite a while, found myself waiting impatiently for the next episode. Beautifully observed character acting, clever casting and thoughtful and riveting plots. More please, soon.
  • 'Chasing Shadows' is a new crime drama starring Reece Shearsmith (The league of gentlemen) and Alex Kingston (Doctor Who) based around the missing persons unit.

Reece plays Ds Sean Stone, a detective who has little trouble working with the people around him and who needs to hire someone to remind him to eat, clean his clothes etc.. but other then that he has a brilliant mind and is always focused on the case. After having embarrassed the station during a live TV interview, he his reassigned a new partner Ruth Hattersley played by Alex Kingston how is recently divorced and is now back living with her mother as well as having a son who takes too much interest in her work for her liking.

Reece is exceptional, playing Sean must have been one of his most difficult roles as he has to try to avoid natural acting instincts like looking people in the eye. At points you want to slap him and other times you want to give him a hug.

'Chasing Shadows' is gripping, intelligent, funny and worthy of a second season, trust me you'll want another after watching the final episode.
    This new ITV series consists or two two-part stories, although I wouldn't be surprised if more are made. It follows DS Sean Stone, a skilled police officer who finds himself transferred to missing persons when his inability to be anything other than totally honest embarrasses his boss at a press conference. At missing persons he works with Ruth Hattersley although it isn't long before she is getting frustrated by his methods. He does have a knack for seeing patterns though and it isn't long before he works out that some missing people are probably the victim of a serial killer. In each of the cases he manages to offend almost everybody who he comes into contact with although he does get results.

It is a pity that this series was so short as it was rather fun; Reece Shearsmith was great as DS Stone and Alex Kingston gave fun support as Ruth Hattersley. Stone is an interesting protagonist; much like Saga from 'The Bridge' he is probably somewhere on the autistic spectrum… this is dealt with sensitively; we see that he does have some difficulties but is still highly competent when other people's emotions aren't involved. The stories are typical of the genre but still rather enjoyable; both stories featured plenty of suspects and in neither case was it either too obvious or too convoluted. It is a pity the two hour stories were each spilt into two episode; I can only assume it is because some of the material wasn't suitable for pre-watershed broadcast so it couldn't start at eight. With only two stories the series was a bit on the short side but the conclusion set things up for a second series so I'm sure we'll be seeing more of DS Stone… I certainly hope we do.
  • It took awhile for me to understand the attitude of Det Sean Stone, a little like his new colleges all the way through the whole series. I think this is part of the story and creates further question marks along with the main theme of the series. I found this series really good and I got in to the series very quickly. All actors /actresses played brilliant parts and I found the story lines quite realistic. It was keeping my interest all the time and it was a shame to be interrupted by the adverts. I was very disappointed when I found out today (looking at TV guides for the next story line) to find out that only 4 episodes of 2 x 2 parters had been filmed. I do hope that another series is filmed and for more than 4 episodes Please do more
  • I recorded Chasing Shadows without knowing anything about it other than it was a 4 part police/crime drama/ Now that I have watched it, I am really disappointed that they only made 4 episodes. In fact, it is actually two, 2 part stories although there are, as always, some sub plots running underneath throughout the whole thing.

It all centres around a Detective who specialises in multiple murder cases. To say he is socially inept, is an understatement. It is never stated but he comes across as what I would imagine is borderline autistic. Nothing like as bad as Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man but getting that way. However, this condition gives him the free reign he needs to be completely focused on solving the crimes and seeing patterns that others miss.

The series starts with him being moved from more conventional policing to a missing person's department where he meets Ruth his (very) long suffering partner. Before long, they are on their first case and she discovers just how eccentric he is but he gets results.

For the first episode, it kept reminding me of 'House' but I know a lot of reviews have used 'Sherlock' as a comparison. It isn't really either but it has a bit of both. There is definitely a slightly humorous undercurrent although the crimes are still treated with the seriousness they deserve.

What it definitely is, is something a bit different to the usual crime drama. Personally, I found it much more enjoyable that Broadchruch.

I really hope they make another series.
  • beatyruth-147-85818323 September 2016
    I simply cannot believe this who was not picked up for more seasons, unless it was deliberately ended the way it was. This was well thought out, well acted, and the actors seemed comfortable with each other. It may be a previously used theme, but it was still interesting! It may not have been a "reality" show, but it was very watchable and kept us interested. The people who decide whether shows live or die really need to rethink their standards, especially when you have one the quality of this one. Too bad there won't be more of them. And too bad the viewers don't have more say to keep good shows on, there wouldn't be so much unwatchable trash that only people with low IQ's find funny. What's wrong with something that makes you think?
    I'm a huge fan of crime dramas in general so I was always going to give this one a go, even more so when I realised Reece Shearsmith was the lead character (I've enjoyed his other TV work this year, The Widower & Inside No.9).

This drama series focuses on the Missing Person's Unit and is spread across 4 episodes with a different story/case having 2 episodes each. I enjoyed all the episodes equally and really liked how the characters developed together, they all had a good on screen chemistry and it worked really well. The cases were very intriguing and it was very enjoyable to see it from a different perspective, rather than just from the standard police point of view.

All of the characters were portrayed really well and as each episode ended I found myself looking forward to next weeks one. It's a very good little series which I hope will be back for more. The series ended on a massive cliffhanger which has the potential to be a great storyline so I hope this means it will be back. Overall it's a very good series that has potential to be great. Everything is in place to continue this on to the next level.

8/10 so far but I will definitely keep an eye out for further episodes. Highly recommend
  • Chasing Shadows is takes an interesting but now familiar crime drama premise. Take a odd ball detective with the EQ of a house plant and a high IQ and team them up with a normal person.

Predictable but enjoyable fun ensues. The clever odd ball sees things other people do not, solving the crime in short order whilst failing to see the social mayhem he causes in the process.

Perhaps the closest series I can think to Chasing Shadows is Monk. The US detective with obsessive compulsive disorder or perhaps, to a lesser degree, Bones.

Chasing Shadows is well acted, utilizes engaging story lines but I do feel overplays the borderline autistic behaviour of its lead detective at times. Lead detective Sean runs around uprooting social norms to a degree that makes you come to wonder how he managed to get into the police force in the first place.

That said, Chasing Shadows is still a polished British crime drama that has me addicted, at least for the time being. A well deserved seven out of ten from me.
    The whole concept of Chasing Shadows is a great one. The idea is good and the cast are absolutely brilliant. Sheersmith's Detective Stone alone is a character you will certainly want to see in a second series. Negatively, however, the plot lines are sometimes rather thin. Here are just a couple of examples: In episode three a prisoner (on medication) dies in hospital. Real police would have immediately checked up on who medicated him and the hospital drug records; thus revealing things weren't right and arresting his killer. It took the whole of episode four for said killer to be identified and caught. In episode four the killer disappears with a woman he is going to kill & DS Stone identifies a rubbish dump where they are likely to be. Real police would have sent up the force helicopter; yet the cops here turn up few in numbers and only just in time. Like I said though, the actors and the concept hold this show together and I'm looking forward to episode five.
  • It was very entertaining and thought provoking. Character development was obvious, well-done, and direction of plot well-paced. Any series that gives one a tie or understanding with characters and story is a good one in my book. Loved the interaction between DS Stone and Ruth Hattersley. Would definitely like to see a return of this pair. There is so much potential and possibility for this series if powers-to-be would only bring it back for an encore. My family and friends just watched this series and we all loved it so much. We felt we knew the characters and related to their actions throughout the series, especially DS Stone. We constantly laughed over the things he said without any inhibition, because we know some of those things are what people would really want to say and don't, because we are too politic in these modern days. So refreshing! Please bring it back for an encore performance.
    Hands down, only the UK knows how to execute a Crime drama ... detectives with nuances - hang-ups - quirks ... but with intelligence ... Chasing Shadows literally keeps me on the edge of my seat - heart pounding and Sean (Detective that makes you want to pull your hair out by the roots) is played to perfection. The only shows I watch from the USA are NCIS and Criminal Minds - otherwise, I'm plugged into ACORN TV or PBS (Downton Abby, Sherlock, Poldark etc.) Excellent Crime Drama - 9 stars versus 10 - I'm upset there were only 4 episodes in Series 1.

Love British TV ... keep them coming ... please; with TV like this makes you wonder why you'd watch anything else :o)
  • Interesting premise, fine performances. I have no idea why ITV cancelled this series after only 4 episodes, and on a cliffhanger, at that. The user ratings for this are all between 7 and 8. The show never missed a beat, was entirely plausible and the audience became invested in the characters, which made the last, unresolved, missing person especially heartbreaking. This was a missed opportunity ITV. I give this series an 8 (great) out of 10. {Police Procedural with a twist}. Just a side note for Whovians, two of the principal players were Mickey Smith (2005-2010) and River Song (2008-2017).
  • Series with the "good guys" being unsocial and/or with special needs have recently become popular, with the Scandinavian The Bridge as evidently the most renown. Here, in Chasing Shadows, the roles are reversed: the male lead DS Sean Stone (remarkably performed by Reece Shearsmith, whom I have not knowingly seen/noticed before) is the one who has serious communication issues, and the others, including Ruth Hattersley (nicely depicted by Alex Kingston) have to deal with and tolerate him for the sake of solving serious crimes.

Despite the fact that being rude to women is not pleasant to follow and my hesitations whether the British police can afford such a non-team player, the plots have been smoothly designed, the leading characters are not always right, the endings have nice twists, and the concrete person at fault is not revealed too soon. I would like to see more with these characters; the Episode 4 somehow promised a sequel, but no more episodes until now (1-4 were aired in September 2014).
  • The English really produce some excellent police and other dramas. Foyle's War hooked me very well, and Midsommer Murders landed me. Chasing Shadows is very different from both of these, and is intriguingly different.

Both principal characters are really interesting, and have lots of room for further development. The cleaning lady and her daughter, and the co-star's son, also have good potential for further involvement.

Most of all, I appreciate the cerebral plot and the focus on missing persons -- about which so little has been previously scripted. I certainly hope that this short series will be resurrected and given the run it deserves. I think it easily become a very popular series.
  • nigel777 October 2016
    This was a fun series with neat twists and engaging lead characters. Nicely drawn albeit eccentric lead character with great support from the always likable Alex Kingston (ER, Hope Springs and Doctor Who's River Song), the always good to see again, Don Warrington (remembered as one of "Rigsby's" tenants in the wonderful British comedy, Rising Damp). Reece Shearsmith is well known for his offbeat comedic characters and after a sinister portrayal as a sociopath in The Widower it was good to see him offer another obtuse, but different, characterisation. Hopefully the cliffhanger ending to season one will be resolved....sometime soon.
    As in the title - Reece Shearsmith made this short series enjoyable and thought-provocative one. I specialize in teaching children suffering from various dysfunctions and from the very first moment I felt that DS Sean Stone has something like Asperger Syndrome. And it was great to see how people surrounding him will react and relate to his unique personality. Apart from the applause for the acting, the story was engaging and I'm very sorry that it didn't have further seasons.
  • I love this show, shown on Amazon. But where's the rest of the series?
  • I like Alex (Dr. Who) a lot, and the lead Reece, I warmed up to quickly. and Clark, the only Missing Person's Detective to relate to Reece/Sean. I don't know why the PD would be so against Sean even if he is an oddball bec. he solves crimes and catches serial killers (his specialty). He thinks there isn't enough communication between missing persons and homicide, And winds up as a demotion in Missing persons. Ruth/Alex is able to relate to him. and so he finds a home. A viewer complained there isn't enough depth of character. I disagree. that some of the police methods were questionable. yes but that is always the case with these dramas. another premise with a detective with a problem, here it's autism, Ashberger, as he is very smart and skilled. so yes, there are holes in the plot- show me 1 series without flaws. sometimes, the police work is sketchy. they left #4 with a big, to be solved next crime, but after 5 years, I have to expect no more.
  • So many others have described in depth the pros, plot and very "real" characters in this enjoyable and unusual police drama. It doesn't fit into the usual mold of a "cosy" detective show like Midsommer Murders, Miss Marple or Shakespeare and Hathaway but nor does it have the more realistic bite of something like Inspector Frost, Morse or Lewis. It's certainly NOT Luther. It is refreshingly in its own genre and I grew to invest in all the characters who were superbly acted and very "real". I enjoyed the 2 plot lines as they neither too complicated nor too easy to guess. I really enjoyed the "maid's" character and feel terribly cheated by what will never be a resolved cliffhanger. Bad form, ITV, for cancelling the show.
  • Normally, you'd expect any given US crime/drama series to fall, somewhere within the "McDonald's" scale - you know what you're getting, it's not terribly good, it has no layers to it or depth, but it'll do. It leaves your stomach full, and it's never great. Chasing Shadows is, finally, and sadly, a UK version of a fully fledged version of a McDonald's. No depth of characters, as you would have expected. The main character is an idiot savant, a very pale shadow of Dr. Tony Hill, from Wire in the Blood - who wouldn't even be able to hold a job as a Job Seeker's representative at the Job Center - hell, he'd never even be hired at a McDonald's, let alone the Met. For anyone with an IQ above 100, this is painful to watch. For anyone beneath it, it's probably excellent.
  • I was hooked the first few minutes! Loved episode 1&2 (full catch and release). 3 viewed off and 4 came up with nothing - then I guess the show was cancelled BC it ended with the kidnapping of a featured player -one I was invested in- then nothing. 4 episodes. 2 crimes....1 solved. One left. Lame.