User Reviews (53)

• namashi_13 April 2014
    Sheer Brilliance!
    'Ankhon Dekhi' is Sheer Brilliance! A powerful, symbolic, heart-breaking film, that is also blessed with incredible performances!

'Ankhon Dekhi' centers around Bauji, played by Sanjay Mishra, who, after a dramatic incident, decides that he will only believe what he sees with his eyes.

'Ankhon Dekhi' narrates Bauji's "see it to believe it" story, with strong emotion & poetic pacing. Writer/Director Rajat Kapoor delivers a human-story, that in many ways, narrates life. His Screenplay deals with faith, family bond, sadness & reality. Its blunt, but also beautiful. His Direction, on the other-hand, is simplistic. A Special Mention for the wonderful music.

Performance-Wise: Sanjay Mishra is mesmerizing as Bauji. The immensely talented actor delivers a knock-out performance, that in my opinion, deserves a National-Award! He's the life of the show. Seema Pahwa is outstanding. She compliments Mishra, marvelously. Rajat Kapoor, himself, pitches in a restrained performance. Maya Sarao is a talent to watch out for. She's superb. Brijendra Kala, Manu Rishi & Namit Das, are impressive, as well.

On the whole, 'Ankhon Dekhi' left me overwhelmed.
  • rangdetumpy25 March 2014
    A Symbolic witty original modern day fairy tale that is nothing short of a masterpiece
    (Probably) Simplicity can never be a passé. A whole generation still connects to the "Ta Na Na Ta Na Na" of Malgudi Days. R.K Narayan Ki duniya talked about the real India, some simple people, their life & its ordeal.

Rajat Kapoor's refreshingly eccentric yet gimmick-less (even hype-less) "Ankho Dekhi" is kind of a dejavu of Malgudi Days. The film revolves around Bauji who lives in his own ideological world & believes in inherent goodness of people. But he isn't gullible person & believes only in "Ankho Dekhi". And in a moment of realization he literary sets on to a journey whereby he decides that he will only believe what he can see for himself. From religion to education to even science - Bauji seeks for his own truth, an experienced one. He will come across as a visionary to someone while others might outright reject him as a nitwit. Kapoor webs an authentic image of a regular middle-class household in the surrounding areas of urban India, the still-prevailing joint family & the ego dynamics. His execution is gentle traversing at its own pace much like the ways of Bauji.

Kapoor's narrative talks about many issues in subtle way & he webs in some brilliant situations to express his points. Like the scene where the priest gives "Prasad" (Godly offering) to Bauji, he takes it, have it & then says that the sweet is good totally unaware of the anger of the priest who kept on insisting that it's not a mere sweet, it is godly offering. Then in another accomplished sequence bauji kept on saying that he won't believe in gods until one of them comes & have tea with him which angers the religious fanatic ones. Going away from religion, he even pokes on the education system whereby he establishes the importance of knowledge beyond books. The debate with the maths teacher on how could one assume that two parallel lines would meet at infinity deserves mention. Then the sequence of visiting a zoo to check whether a tiger roars or meows was superlative.

Kapoor got able support from cinematography, editing & music department bringing out the essence of the narrative deftly. And as the masterstroke climax happened I almost jumped from my seat to applaud & that's when the end credit began with the following note – "Thanking my teachers Mani Kaul & Kumar Shahani" (two of the finest film makers of Indian parallel cinema); what a way to give back to his masters! This is indeed one of the finest films from Rajat Kapoor.

Otherwise typecast & wasted in loud comical characters Sanjay Mishra didn't let slip this opportunity & gave his career best performance as bauji. Hopefully his acting potential will be frequently utilized from now on. The supporting cast were tremendous comprising of Rajat Kapoor himself, Manu Rishi, Pahwa, Miya Sarao (who made a striking debut as the daughter of Bauji), Namit das, even stalwart Saurabh Shukla in a cameo.

Give this movie a try, you will probably come with a thoughtful grin & might set for your very own 'flight of fancy" (as Masand said).

(Sadly this witty original film got overpowered by ghostly baby dolls & their gang of marketing terrorists..)
  • bobbysing27 March 2014
    Just watch it at the earliest & try to find your own precious 'SATORI' in its 2 meditative hours.
    Thought provoking films have always been an important feature of our Regional Cinema since the beginning and Hindi film-makers have also delivered many worth watching gems in this particular genre in the past (especially before the 90s). But even then, very rarely we have seen a film which comes up with a fine blend of both entertaining as well as enlightening moments in its beautifully executed narration, reaching out to the audience individually in more than one unique manner.

Writer-Actor-Director Rajat Kapoor's ANKHON DEKHIis a perfect example of such rare, not to be missed precious cinema. And as suggested by its name, the film simply needs to be seen, felt and enjoyed at the earliest instead of just being read about, discussed or pre-judged by its various appreciative reviews written by different critics.

Actually films like ANKHON DEKHI should not be ideally reviewed in the usual manner since they are certainly going to have many distinctive meanings or interpretations for different viewers (as per their own viewpoints), which in fact can easily be stated as the film's real beauty too required to be kept intact. For instance where a few might enjoy it just as a light, feel-good comedy revolving around a lower middle class family, there for others it may turn out to be a highly transforming experience, giving them a new bright insight into their own struggling life, demanding many major changes.

So with many thanks to Rajat Kapoor (writer-actor-director), Manish Mundra (producer), Seema Mishra (Bauji's wife), the entire supporting cast, music, background score & art department along with the emotionally touching & exceptionally terrific Sanjay Mishra as Bauji, I would like to strongly recommend ANKHON DEKHI to one and all as a rare meaningful achievement not to be missed.

With a sincere wish that every reader of this honest write-up watches ANKHON DEKHI and many more movies like these like a true seeker, I would like to end here hoping that may you also find your own precious SATORI in those two meditative hours in the dark spent with Bauji. And may we all live a more contended, loving and thankful life in the future, forgetting this silly mad race for money, luxuries and power (to the extent they certainly deserve to be forgotten).
  • Tejas Nair26 March 2014
    A Man Introspects. ♦ 83%
    Rajat Kapoor has always fascinated me: with his acting, directing & even writing. His Raghu Romeo was a good project. His roles in Dil Chahta Hai & Monsoon Wedding upped the ante. Ankhon Dekhi could just be his magnum opus.

Sanjay Mishra's character is the protagonist; troubled with life's ways, troubled with the monotony, he starts introspecting as his daughter's love affair is known about. He realizes that nothing can be believed to be right until you see it with your eyes, ankhon dekhi. What follows is a myriad number of references about a man's life: his birth, his family, his kids, his work & his thought. What the plot tries to suggest is the idiosyncrasy we all possess and that it is all different for different people. It may force people to ape others, but that is not the right way.

With beautiful vocals & music by Kailash Kher, brilliant cinematography & marvelous direction, Ankhon Dekhi is perhaps Bollywood's best film this year, so far. The performances is the best thing about it; each & every cast member is so involved with their characters, that I was taken aback when a supporting actor playing the mother of a boy who is diagnosed with a disorder, enacts the relief when he ails out of it. Her expression & conduct all were absolutely mesmerizing. Plus, the brotherly relationship is talked about, with respect to joint families. It showcases the Indian which we had thought is lost; perfectly captured Delhi streets & chawls; fantastic photography.

The climax is equally haunting and is free for interpretation to viewers; ends with a bang & so sharply expresses a man's views. It mixes wonder with reality & does it right.

BOTTOM LINE: Highly recommended because this is no ordinary cinema. This is a masterwork.
  • Ashutosh Mishra27 March 2014
    Brilliant and Artistic in every sense!!!
    Bauji, a man in his fifties decides to only believe the facts which he sees by his own eyes or feels them and then starts a beautiful yet surprising journey to discover the real meaning of life or to discover himself. There are so many scenes where you literally feel the art of cinema. Without showing any unnecessary dance sequences and cheap dialogues, the film quickly dissolves you in its cinematic mood. It's a gem which will attain cult status after so many years. Rajat Kapoor, the man behind this masterpiece should be appreciated for his devotion towards cinema. Every scene has its details and a meaning which is too deep. Every dialogue is witty as well as thought provoking. Music sets the real mood and cinematography is mind-blowing. "Sab Kuch Yahi Hai, Aankhe Khol Kar Dekho"

Never seen such a perfect and accurate cinematography in any Indian film. The humorous instances during the movie give us an open chance to think what we are doing and what we should do. They play with our thoughts and beliefs. Sanjay Mishra has given a performance which can not be explained in words, along with Rajat Kapoor and the rest of the cast.

For me, this film scores in every field of cinema. Direction, art design, music, cinematography, screenplay and performances and i know i can watch it a million times. It will leave you stunned and surprised in the ending. I clapped for about two minutes as the ending credits rolled. A cinematic achievement and should not be missed. Beautiful and intelligent drama.

A brilliant watch.

10 out of 10, UNDOUBTEDLY.
  • manishengi28 March 2014
    One Of the best film after a long time (Excellent Film making)
    This film is all about experiencing different events happened in one's life. All those feelings which one person feels through his life. they are all beautiful. we are all beautiful in way or the other. I am great that's my perspective of viewing my life. i am bad that's others people perspective. but in the end you have to feel what you feel about yourself. This is the message of the film which is beautifully done by the rajat kapoor. Sanjay mishra is no doubt one of the best actor in the industry. he done a great job in the bauji character. from his childhood he always see himself flying and wind touching his ears and face. in the end he lived his dream. he felt what he dream t about. when one starts to live his life happily people starts to follow you cozz everybody is after happiness but nobody knows how to get it. But Bauji Character in the film knows it. i highly recommend this film to someone who wants to fell some warmth in his heart and a smile on face. its truly a milestone for rajat kapoor and sanjay mishra. Hats off brothers
  • v-kundra27 March 2014
    A very fine experience
    This is one of the most interesting movie i have seen in a very long time and trust me, i watch a lot of movies. I have always been a big fan of 'Sanjay Mishra' and he has proved it once again that he is one of the finest artists in Indian film industry.

Based on 'Life' as an experience, brilliantly portrayed, a fitting cast and amazing performances by the whole team. One can argue on the objective of the movie, perhaps there isn't any and this is the objective.

This is not a typical run of the mill Bollywood movie. Please watch it and decide for yourself. This may be a 'either you love or you hate it' type of movie. This has set a new standard in my book. A complete gem.
  • Vatan Poonia28 March 2014
    Easily one of the best I have ever watched, A movie that makes me proud of Indian Cinema
    There are lot of Indian movies that make large money, and offer no content , famously called as Masala movies in India, Ankhon Dekhi is totally an opposite of that, Its filled with high quality content that is so true to its nature, that it holds your attention from beginning till the end. Its an Amazing cocktail of Comedy, Drama, Philosophy. Rajat Kapoor has proved his brilliance again, by bringing out such an amazing idea, Sanjay Mishra has always been one of the most underrated actor in Indian Cinema, Ankhon Dekhi proves to be the platform where he shows his might in Acting skills, Rajat Kapoor Smartly plays second fiddle to him,

Ankhon Dekhi is in itself a refreshing experience, a mesmerizing one, Shouldn't be missed by anyone who enjoys true cinema, Every Character is so well placed , A lot set of hidden talents are show caused in this movie,

And every moment is so beautiful, Movies such as this bring glory to Indian Cinema, and display the power of Cinema, An Easy 10/10 for a totally refreshing, out of the box movie, One that no one can afford to miss
  • Aditya Shobhawat27 March 2014
    Unconventional, whimsical yet unexceptional
    Rajat Kapoor shows sheer brilliance in writing and directing this jewel of Indian cinema. He breaks the shackles of commonplace, mundane and uneventful plots which inundate the box-office every week. He concretes his position in the coterie of those film-makers who do not believe in box office collections as criteria for success. This movie is not a Masala entertainer. In fact, it is just the opposite.Story of a middle class family shot in pedestrian locations of Old Delhi, makes it unconventional. A peculiar yet immaculate plot of the movie makes it whimsical.But its the immaculate screenplay and all time presence of Sanjay Mishra, which makes it unexceptional. Sanjay Mishra, a National School of Drama graduate, proves his true class.However, all the other characters are also perfect and played brilliantly well by the remaining actors,its him and his idiosyncrasies which render the audience spellbound.Apart from him and his wife(typical yet amusing ),his group which supports and follows him in his whims is also the eye catcher. However,some may find second half too peculiar to understand yet they will enjoy the movie and rate it as more than a good movie in the end. But those who remain clung to all the eccentricities throughout, will rate it as a masterpiece.
  • Vijay Kumar27 March 2014
    Rajat Kapoor's Ankhon Dekhi is another milestone in his journey.
    Truth can make you happy, miserable and also make your pants wet before it sets you free. Rajat Kapoor's Ankhon Dekhi is an excellent film with a slice of life. It's a brilliant portrayal of an ordinary man's journey to find his own existence. Sanjay Mishra, the lead protagonist is in a network of relationships as a father, brother, husband, neighbour and travel agent. A small family incident triggers a thought in Bauji's (Sanjay Mishra) mind that he would not take things at face value and would only believe what he experiences- discovering his own truth. He questions anything and everything that comes his way which creates situations for humour, satire and moments of profundity. He lives in a congested house in old Delhi lane. The excellent camera work gives you a worm's view of life, relationships and reality. You almost smell the air, taste the food and see the damp, well-lived walls.

Bauji's first discovery is that truth is beautiful. He says to his office boy 'You are beautiful. His name is Satya. Things in life around him begin to appear in different hues and flavors. In one scene, Bauji is checking his specs and is surprised at his own short-sited view. The story travels from ordinary to divine to absurdity as Bauji deconstruct his own life. It is his personal journey. He even rebukes his lazy followers to embark upon their own path of discovery.

The cast is predictable as Rajat Kapoor's regular ensemble but that they each have lived up to their calibre and reputation. Performances are brilliant and real. Kapoor doesn't preach; he just lays bare the challenges of one's journey of self-discovery. The cost of finding the truth is high and sometimes appears as selfish as Buddha leaving his wife. Bauji's startling questions stop you to ask yourself, who are you? What have you become? What is your personal truth? What you are looking for is right around you. All you need is to discover it employing your own sense and sensibility. The lazy and the lost ones give up easily and rely on other people's perspective. But the search could be dangerous and disturbing as well. Watch the end of the film.

Rajat Kapoor has given his best performance as Rishi Chacha. Seema Pahwa is wonderful as Amma. It's sad that she doesn't get roles to showcase her talents. Maya Sarao as Rita is excellent. There are several characters and each one stays with you. Rajat has done a brilliant job as writer director.

The plot loses its path at times but the acting keeps the audience engaged. The pace in the first half is a bit slow but picks up speed post the interval. Excellent camera-work, the tactile background score makes you almost feel the life of a middle class family with your fingers tips.

Ankhon Dekhi is a high tea in your day. The taste and experience stay with you for a long time. A must watch.
  • saeedchandio11 December 2014
    My Silence burns holes of my heart and my words tears me apart
    "My Silence burns holes of my heart and my words tears me apart". A person who tries new and some thing realistic he is not welcomed by the society rather he is disgraced. Same is the cause in this movie Bauji who tries to find the truth from his own experience rather than listened things. His this journey of "experience" is so beautiful and fascinating in this movie. this movie is simple and matchless. In the movie so many seen are heart touching. The acting of Sanjay fascinating, attracting and controls one's mind. Indian cinema has produced very beautiful movies which are really really priceless. It binds watchers till the end of the movie. it is really a great work from Indian cinema.
  • binducherungath30 March 2014
    Aankho Dekhi is to be experienced...
    The Plot: Aankhon Dekhi is a movie in which the lead character Bauji (Sanjay Mishra), in his late fifties, seeks answer to the very question of 'Truth'. He stays in an Old Delhi small house with his family as well as extended family. His exploration begins when an acquaintance gossips about Ajju's (Namit Das) of ill-repute, with whom Bauji's daughter Rita (Maya Sarao) is in love. But Bauji finds Ajju to be just the opposite on meeting him. And that is when, Bauji's journey towards developing the Power of Discernment begins. The movie is woven around this theme where Bauji through his excellent acting conveys a great message that every human being has his / her own truth which is unique in itself. Bauji's philosophy is not to believe anything that hasn't been validated by his own experience. But when he tries to adopt this in his life, lot of events happen which is full of humour. Bauji's eccentricities do embarrass his family at times. He does earn his gang of cronies.

Direction and Script Writing: Another great work from the director Rajat Kapoor. The story (by Rajat Kapoor) has been presented in a thought provoking manner, yet very lightly. He engages the audience through this delightful work and quaint sense of humour. Dialogues have been carefully crafted. No element of preaching, yet would facilitate people to reason their own reasons.

Cast and their Performance: What a delight to watch Sanjay Mishra as Bauji. Nobody else could have pulled Bauji's character better than him, he has actually gone into the skin of the character.

Rajat Kapoor as Rishi (Bauji's brother) has carried his reticent character so nicely. He is calm and at times ferocious and arrogant as well.

Seema Pahwa as Bauji's wife is also great. She is very convincing – at times loud, at times very expressive, at times nagging, at times caring.

Rest of the ensemble cast also add lot of value to the plot and pitch in noticeable performances: Namit Das (Ajju), Manu Rishi Chadha (Sharmaji), Brijendra Kala (Shibbo Babu), Maya Sarao (Rita), Taranjit Kaur (Chachi),Chandrachoor Raj (Shammi), Alka Chawla (Sarup Bua), Mahesh Sharma (Bagga), Anil Chaudhary (Chaudhary Sahab), Shrikant Verma (Masterji), Manish Karnatak (Jeevan), Saurabh Shukla (Boss), Dhruv Singh (Dhruv), Danish Hussain (Gopi), Yogendra Tiku (Pandit), Chaitanya Mahawar (Ashok), Chetan Sharma (Anil), Shivam Sethi (Arun).

Cinematography: Movie is shot at old Delhi's location. Cinematographer Rafey Mahmood has captured the feel of Old Delhi & its narrow lanes wonderfully through his shots.

Music: Music by Sagar Desai suits to the tone of the movie. Lyrics (by Varun Grover) are good.

Moments to watch out for: There are many such moments: Bauji's argument with one of his customer and Maths teacher, his bland & affable manners, his relationship with daughter (rather with family & neighbours), his way of looking at things, bauji going to zoo to check whether a tiger really roars etc.

Thumbs up: Watch the movie for its thought-provoking theme and of course for Sanjay Mishra's splendid performance. If you are offbeat movie lover, you must not miss this movie. You won't get bored, guaranteed.

Thumbs down: Probably no 'Thumbs down' moments.

One-Liner: Aankhon Dekhi is to be experienced.
  • frazakhtar4207 March 2015
    Its my achievement to watch this kind of masterpiece.
    It is an excellent flick that is on my favorite list, like Sadma, Simon Brich, Hachiko, Lawrence of Arabia, Gangoobai, Iqbal, etc. Its is kind of flick I prefer to watch. It is a logical drama masterpiece of Rajat Sir, I am big fan of your film, long ago. There are very reality based scenes in film that I can only imagine, like when the younger brother moving out the transfer of luggage from roof top to the new house is amazing, the body languages of all characters in whole movie was marvelous, the Shadi scene when all sitting in pooja and the son of pujari came back and forth telling the current events in tents happened at that real time was outstanding, even pujari's son character has a real existence in our society. It took a long and intense kind of observation and create a plot on these kind of happenings is a great achievement. Finally, hats off. Also, in the end, its an excellent recommendations from IMDb to let me know what should I deserve to watch. Thanks for this wonderful art work.
  • ash-virmani3 January 2015
    Should be mandatory viewing for anyone interested in Hindi movies
    The best of the movies that come from Bollywood are the least known ones. This movie continues that trend. Ankhon Dekhi is brilliant, every frame captivating and could have been one of the contenders for India's foreign movie Oscars submission.

Rajat Kapur actually delivers a real a slice of a on old Delhi life, something I thought was out of his depth but boy was I wrong.

Sanjay Mishra is the life of this movie with a towering performance which can described as one of the best character portrayals seen in the recent times. His character is on a mission to live life his own way, yet one sympathises and relates to him at multiple levels.

Rest of the cast is equally awesome. All of them are champion theatre actors and it shows.

If you watch or are interested in watching Hindi movies, go watch this now.
  • Rachit Kumar29 March 2014
    Fascinatingly awesome
    I expected this movie to be on fun side from what I had guessed from trailers but this was awesome. Rajat Kapoor showed his class and Sanjay Mishra was fantastic. Very balanced movie with things which any one from India can relate to and feel for while watching movie. One of the best movie I have seen. I would have rated 10 but restricted myself to 9 because I cannot believe it is best until I know it is the best. I am not going to open up the details here but I can say it deals with mental thought process of human beings and how simple things can become complicated. This movie should be applauded for the story line which is not so common in Bollywood movies.
  • 8/10
    He believes only what he sees with his own eyes and negate everything
    It is a story of a man who begins to think philosophically and feels within himself the reality of life of seeing and believing in those things which normally an average man wouldn't think of treading into finding realism in several 'minute' issues like hearing the roar of a tiger, flying like a bird… Raje Bauji (Sanjay Mishra} is a man in his late fifties, living out a dreary but eventful life in a small house in old Delhi- where he lives with his extended family. An executive in a travel agency, head of his family lives a typical middle class, happy, content life with his younger brother's family.

A random incident is going to change his life in a dramatic way, though he does not realize at the moment.

Bauji's daughter has been seeing a boy of ill repute. When that fact is revealed to the family, after much deliberation they decide to do the obvious – lock up the girl and go beat the willful boy.

Taking a cop along with them to warn the 'laundiya baaz' (means – a womanizer as labelled by other people), Bauji realizes that the boy isn't that bad as as the terrible reputation formed by the people around him. Ajju is exactly opposite of what he had heard about him. This incident gets him to think that what is being heard and talked about any thing or a person, isn't exactly what is the truth behind it.

Bauji leaves his job and decides to stay at home, rather than 'mislead or cheat the clients' thats what he thought.

It is a funny old journey of this man, this old fool- who is both Lear and the fool.
  • resorock5 July 2014
    Transforming into true self and finding the unknown FACTOR
    Ankhon dekhi brings us the transformation of an ordinary one surrounded with anarchy,confusion and a little unknown factor in his life.The unknown factor is the hero of the film.The beauty of the story is its allow you to find your story your lessons through your own experience while watching the movie there is no hurry to point out any conclusion till last. the best part is how Sanjay Misha(Bauji) has gone through the role and might be possible he has found his own explanation of life. Rajat sharma should carry on to make such realistic,light mood movies.kudos to him.End was shocking but its all understood that everyone has to find there meaning of life and every thing has some pro and cons.
  • ganeshkarkigk16 March 2018
    Beautifully depicted, realistically made and with great philosophy
    This movie truly is a masterpiece. It beautifully captures India without any adulteration of conventional Bollywood masala. Great acting, great screenplay and amazing philosophical journey. It's journey of discovering yourself as if you are born today. In reality we have experienced only the tip of ice Berg and most of our life's aspect are left to assumption or passed on knowledge. The quest and enlightening journey to discover it or self never crossed our mind. That's what this movie is doing. It takes you through life's up and down. How people are always judging, laughing and even blindly following someone if that one is truly dedicated to his belief. After existing all his life finally he awakens and decides to forget everything and start from scratch believing only what he can see, experience and evaluate. A journey of discovering self and life.
  • TARUN VERMA8 July 2017
    Not much impressive as it could be, beware of pseudo-admirers of art cinema
    My review here is unique in the sense that I want to criticize the film and hence my review is different from all other reviews. The reviews of the film posted here on IMDb (and elsewhere) are good and some of them are brilliant but I found some pseudo-admiration of the movie which prompted me to write the review.

The movie is good because of its uniqueness, not many movies are made in commercial cinema which take the theme adopted in the movie. So people who love to watch art/parallel cinema would surely be attracted to the concept of the movie. The actors in the movie are mostly theater artists, who are popular for good acting and commonly appear in low-budget films. The basic theme of the movie showing the life experiences of the protagonist from ''his own eyes'' is appealing and philosophical in its essence. The film clearly showed demonstration of philosophical principle of "seeing is believing" through discussions, mass awareness campaigns (standing at metro station with message board in hand), life experiences of the lead character, Sanjay Mishra. When the movie had so many scenes conveying the philosophical ideas, yet I do not understand why most of the reviewers are saying that movie doesn't intend to spread any message. It seems pseudo-admiration at its heights!! The beautiful part of the movie is its emphasis on family roles and responsibilities, and dynamics of attachments and emotions among family members. The movie is set in a joint family context, which is shown in the beginning following strict social norms and conventions. Looking at all the mess going on around the family, and his inability to handle the circumstances, the lead character of Bauji diverts everyone's attention to his sudden shift of philosophical ideas and preoccupation of the principle "seeing is believing". When everyone was following "believing is seeing, he chose to do the opposite. At this point it seemed that the movie would take on deep, mysterious turns and would show depth of the protagonist's character. But the movie is disappointing in this regard.

The movie takes many turns and shifts in actions of Bauji - not believing in anything heard until experienced, leaving job due to his ideas, remaining silent because everyone was getting fed up of his philosophical talks which were incomprehensible by people, gambling to earn money, brother and his family separating to manage their expenses and duties etc.. All these incidents shake the feelings of Bauji to the core and it is seen that with every incident he takes some dramatic step and changes his behaviors. But in all this superficial drama, the emotional and wise character of Bauji is showing its strength and the only merit that this movie deserves. The emotional bonds of the family members are persistent and deep, even when they separate. The responsible character of Bauji to arrange marriage for his daughter, saving his son from a debt of Rs. 28/38,000 (unclear amount) is the most appreciable part of the movie. The minute details of middle class family life of Old Delhi were remarkable. Very fine details were shown in behaviors and verbal expressions of characters, which, to me, is the only plus side of the story and adds energy to the movie. This is the only part of the movie to which anyone can relate.

The most saddening part of the movie was its confusing story-line, abrupt incidents and events, lack of coherence in incidents, loose adherence with any single theme, lack of connections between different scenes/acts and sentiments of the leading character. If all other characters were predictable, the main character was uncertain and unpredictable. His unpredictable characterization made him incomprehensible and confusing. Why suddenly he became fond of philosophical ideas, why he didn't consider many daily responsibilities as important (like leaving job), how come he suddenly tended to become sannyasi-like, and why he held strong emotional bonds. On the surface he seemed to be dramatizing all this philosophical non-sense just to divert everyone else's attention from social norms and restrictions, because he was always an emotional person caring for his family. Was he trying to wind up his life's duties to experience his dream of flying, was he trying to become a good father- a liberator for himself and family? This was not clearly shown. He was trying to conclude his life as an accumulation of experiences and fulfillment of wishes.

If you have seen many such movies, to make it comprehensible and easy to follow, the story-line should be consistent, convey a deep message and lesson, follows a uni-dimensional approach to story and must establish links to different scenes and themes. On the contrary, Ankhon Dekhi lacks consistent story-line (except family sequences), is multi-thematic, shows uncertain actions of the leading character which make no sense in broader picture, except attributing the protagonist as crazy and free-thinker. I do not advocate such pseudo-admiration of incomplete depictions just because these depictions are meant to be shown through the lens of an art movie. Overall, the movie doesn't give a pleasurable feeling, except admiring disconnected scenes and actions of the lead actor. There are many scenes depicting behaviors of Bauji which show strong and compassionate character, an emotional and deeply attached person who cares for family. For example, debating maths teacher of his niece, asking daughter to prepare for her marriage, saving his son from debt of gambling, appreciating classical music, being an intellectual and providing wise lessons to his followers etc.

Overall, the movie is nice, watchable, shows inner turmoil of an old man who is awaiting his death, good family sentiments and strong emotional bonds within a joint family But at the same time it is inconsistent in connecting scenes and shows multiple themes/messages with loose meanings. These meanings become hidden/suppressed and no single message or theme dominates the whole film. Due to overburdening with multiple messages and themes, the movie loses its charm and pleasure. This leaves many viewers confused and disappointed.
  • Sachin Chauhan26 November 2016
    Enlightening movie, A must must watch!!!!(Except the masala movie loving people)
    Just being casual I give this movie a chance, but it turn out be an eye opener. The complete movie was catchy, there was drama, comedy, but most importantly the philosophical part which I loved the most. I loved the character of Sanjay Mishra who defies everything which is told and believed. He emphasizes on experiencing things personally before accepting them. This view of his life was being considered as psychological disorder by many in the move initially. But after some times he made some followers. I can watch this movie multiple times. But still I have some contradictory view on this movie. I think you can't experience everything in life, you have to have some belief in others to make this society work and progress. As there is saying in Hindi "Umeed par duniya kayam hai"(Whole world is exist entirely on beliefs). Many viewers might not find the climax convincing but, it the principles of that man he can't contradict. I will not reveal the climax though. Direction, screenplay and acting everything was top-notch. This movie redefine the real acting, every actor performed his role well. There is also one actor's guest appearance. It is gem of Indian cinema. I don't know why these kind of movies don't get recognition, may be it would take some time for Indian viewers to know about quality cinema.
  • 9/10
    Rajat Kapoor's new film Ankhon Dekhi is easily one of the finest films that I have seen till date.
    I've just watched Rajat Kapoor's "Ankhon Dekhi" a film that was released in the year 2014. Let me start by confessing that I am a bit of a procrastinator which is the sole reason that I watched this film so late. The best films are those that subvert your expectations as a viewer, but as time goes by it's getting very difficult to not have expectations, as we now walk into movie theaters after being bombarded by the filmmakers with never ending promotional material. But Aankhon Dekhi is an exception not only is it a film that had been criminally under promoted, but it does something much unexpected. Most of the philosophical films are a bit preachy, they are too eager to provide inspiration or make statements. But in Ankhon Dekhi, curiosity is what drives its premise and suspension of disbelief is entirely abandoned. The film is set in an authentic neighborhood of Old Delhi one that we never see in the movies, this setting reminded me of R K Narayan's Malgudi. What I liked most is, how the protagonist's journey of inner realizations, isn't defined by a singular goal. There are films that are character-centric, there are films that are character-driven, there are plot-driven films and then there are films like Aankhon Dekhi where the idea looms large enough to swipe everything under its shadow. I will not give away plot details, because really, the plot isn't what sets this movie apart, the plot is merely there to move the story along, slowly and surely, but it's interesting enough to keep you awake and invested. The real star here is the cast and the acting. Every single performance, in my opinion, is perfect, led brilliantly by the believable and perfectly done portrayal of Bauji by Sanjay Mishra. In terms of portrayals and production design, Aankhon Dekhi is about as accurate as a film can get. Every character is pitch-perfect in terms of their accents, mannerisms and looks. The lower-middle-class family dynamic is explored beautifully. Aankhon Dekhi is an intensely rewarding experience, with an ending that will haunt you for days afterwards.
  • Empty Life12 November 2016
    Good direction but weak story line
    In brief, the movie beautifully depicts a typical life of a lower middle class family but the one thing that spoils the mood for me is the senseless philosophy that was injected into the plot.

I have seen many philosophical films but those make sense but this is just directionless philosophy.

Let me explain. There is a man whom every one calls 'bauji' played by Sanjay Mishra who believes that you should accept only that which you have experienced yourself.

Now, he performs twisted actions sometimes like he will be never speak, sometimes starts speaking again etc. In short , the philosophical idea is not given a good direction instead it was reduced in this film to mere stupidity (and not for comedy purpose).

In the end , he want to experience what it feels like to fly. For that he suicides in the end . What was this ? He could have done paragliding or similar experience.

My question is why he never felt then to drink poison to experience what it feels like dying ? Why don't he rape women to feel how dirty thing it is ?

Hence, This movie had high expectations but in the end turned to be complete let down for me.
  • rickyoneaaidu11 October 2016
    Simply Awesome
    This is something very real and excellently showed. Kudos to all team of this movie. To learn and see what happens, gain experience and learning is the best way of living your life. Sanjay Mishra has delivered again and again but this was one of his best. Rajat Kappor has written and acted also very well and keeps us thinking about the aspects and the way we live our life motto's. Keep it up everyone and make movies of these sorts again and again. Without being preachy the premise makes you (makes us) introspect – all of us, lost in the jungle of consumerism are losing our own thought prowess; the power of self experience. As bauji would have said which goes in English somewhat this - Whatever I am saying is my truth, my experience. Don't go by it only as your's experience & truth can be different.(For some reason IMDb is not allowing me to out the Hindi sentence thus have to give the translated version). In this way the film hits the consumerist (And media dominated) culture whereby people are losing their self identity.

Must watch for everyone all age, gender to learn and see within themselves.
  • Sharaths00213 September 2016
    Aankhon Dekhi!!
    As the name and the theme of movie suggests, it's better to watch Aankhon dekhi on your own to feel and understand the magic rather than relying on reviews. Its a pity that very few people have heard about this gem of a movie. In the big factory of bollywood that churne all glam sham non sense mockery of logic movies , Aankhon dekhi comes as a fresh breeze. The irony that humor can convey so many serious meaning to life is beautifully depicted by Rajat Kapoor and his brilliant team. Hats of to Rajat for assembling the perfect cast that brings life to each characters. Sanjay Mishra as Babuji trying to find the meaning and truth of life and Seema Pahwa as his wife who is trying to cope up with Babuji's antics is awesome. A soulful Cinema that touches your heart! Aankhon dekh lo aur fir maan lo..
  • Suman Shakya23 February 2016
    A Hilarious Look on the Apathy of a Lower Middle Class Family.......
    "Ankhon Dekhi" takes Bollywood to an offbeat stream with a story that will please the class seeking a quality story that's close to your real life. But here the narrative isn't very straight forward. It uses much of imagination and metaphors to depict the apathy of a lower middle class family. Sanjay Mishra plays the head of the family trying to keep up despite the several hurdles. Many sequences of the film just touch you deep for which the film becomes adorable. However, the film also keeps a mood through its light comedy at times. Overall, it's hard to understand some of the logic in the film; but for the wittiness, nuances created through the performances, and a very relevant story, the film becomes a nice leisure.

Rating: 2 stars out of 4