User Reviews (244)

• nickryall23 December 2016
    I don't get the bad reviews here, were they watching the same film? or maybe they have lost touch with their inner child. I loved this film and I'm not a kid I'm a 55 year old bloke. The film follows the book faithfully and keeps hold of Roald Dahl's odd humour well. The girl playing Sophie is an excellent Northern British actress who plays the part very well and is well cast, the giant character is funny, magical and full of warmth and charm with the CG very well done. Sure its a kids film but as such it is a very good one, if you want more adult material then don't watch kids films but if you like magical fantasy with humour and great visuals I recommend the BFG wholeheartedly.
  • A beautiful tale brought to life by Spielberg. A fascinating universe makes up for the simplicity of the story (which can be forgiven since it's a children's book). Dahl's original story is beautifully retold on screen. The jokes and good ending most certainly make it an amazing, enjoyable family movie that is a pleasure for both the eye and the soul.
  • creetar27 November 2016
    I do understand that people are disappointed when watching a Kids movie and expecting an exciting and challenging plot. What is wrong with you guys? Just because it says Steven Spielberg doesn't mean this is a movie that is specifically designed for your needs. I am 30+ and I like this movie a lot, watching it from a kids perspective you even understand the breakfast scene and I bet all kids would laugh at it. It is kinda sad, seeing how incapable some people are recognizing a movie for kids as such. This is a proper 8! I like the accent, the CGI is fitting, the story is for kids, so if you are not a kid, stfu. I can fully recommend it to anybody with an open mind, who is not looking for the kids version of an Captain America Civil War CGI fest.
    I remember reading this book as a kid and I was glad that it go the proper film adaptation that it deserved. While the film version forgoes many of the darker elements from the novel but it does stay faithful to the story, the premise deals with ten year old orphan Sophie who is living in an orphanage in London who dreads staying there, one night while having difficulty falling asleep, she encounters the bfg aka big friendly giant who takes her to giant country. She also discovers that the bfg is a kind and friendly giant. However Sophie also discovers that other giants in giant country aren't as friendly and eat human beings.
  • spmact15 December 2016
    First off, I'm not a huge children's movie fan, but this one was just so charming and cute I couldn't help but like it. The real star is the BFG. The funny way he talks and the emotions on his face really made the movie for me. The little girl does a pretty good job as well.

This isn't the kind of movie you watch for the story. It's simple enough, but does the job. It's more for the interaction between the girl and the giant, and in that department the movie delivers. Sure there were some childish jokes, but there were plenty of other moments that made me laugh out loud without involving body functions.

I don't get why so many people hated on this movie. Where they expecting Schindler's List? This wasn't that kind of Spielberg Movie. It was more about the interaction of a child and magical friend, akin to ET - and while it may not be quite as good, I still got a lot of enjoyment out of it. If you don't think you're going to be a stick in the mud about it, go ahead and give it a watch. You might end up being surprised at how much you like it, just like I was.
  • Firstly this is not your average Spielberg movie, it's more of a feel good family movie. The reason people hate this movie is because they are comparing it to a proper Spielberg movie. I think Spielberg was trying to do something different this time for kid viewers. My family loved this movie and if you hated this movie while you're reading this, just give it another try. Lot's of people think this is very immature because of it's fart jokes, I was counting how many fart jokes there were surprisingly there were only four in the entire movie. The director has had a few bad movies recently (Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the Krystal Skull etc.) Basically what I'm trying to say is that this is a good movie and it is too much hate.
  • I'm also quite surprised by all the negativity thrown at this film. Yes, it does have its slow spots and could certainly use better editing, but it can be quite wondrous, humorous, and has some important messages to relay as well.

I thought the scenes with the Queen (Penelope Wilton) were highly imaginative, funny, and warm-hearted. Both Mark Rylance and young Ruby Barnhill were excellent in their lead roles.

As others have noted, this is not the best Spielberg film ever, but perhaps over time it will gain more favor. The late Melissa Mathis wrote the screenplay, as she did for Spielberg's classic "E.T.". It's based, of course, on the great Roald Dahl book.

All in all, I agree with those that don't think this movie deserves the pummeling it's getting, and I feel there's lots to like here, for those that want to give it a chance.
  • makka-0095528 November 2016
    I loved this adaptation, it is charming, funny and engaging. I've read some pretty scathing reviews, saying it's Spielberg's worst film - or one of, and I couldn't disagree more. It's really a kid's story, dressed up as a family movie. It's also a simple tale, requiring a simple plot and that is what you get, along with some Spielberg magic. The (gas) scene in Buckingham Palace is one of the funniest I've ever seen - it was hysterical! If you want to get all serious and pick fault with the plot line, you shouldn't be watching this kind of movie. It's a fantasy movie, involving some.... well... fantasy! There were some stereotypical British elements, which to us might be a bit overdone, but Spielberg isn't British. Whoever is slating this movie's plot and the movie in general obviously doesn't remember: E.T, Back to the Future; Poltergeist etc, who's plot lines were crackpot in the extreme. BFG is what it is... a lighthearted and delightful fantasy, which kids and adults will adore together.
  • SnoopyStyle18 February 2017
    Sophie (Ruby Barnhill) is a 10 year old English orphan. At the witching hour, Sophie spots the Big Friendly Giant (Mark Rylance) who takes her to the Giant world to avoid her alerting the public of their presence. The BFG is actually a vegetarian and the runt of the group. The other giants are bigger, bullies the BFG, and eat human beings. The BFG collects dreams and Sophie comes up with an idea to warn The Queen by manufacturing a nightmare about the human-eating giants.

The Giant world is intriguing both visually and in substance. There may be some holes but it still works. Little Sophie has the required cuteness mixed with a pluckiness. Rylance is great. The adventure could be a lot more adventurous. There is turn before the third act which takes the magic of the story and plants it squarely into the modern world at a specific time. There is one fun joke but mostly, the story loses its magic. There is a way for the movie to fully satisfy its dark fable core but it seems to lose that thread. The movie is still fine but it's missing a truly heartfelt drama. The major difficulty is any comparison to Spielberg's earlier classics. The feeling is different and this will not be one of his celebrated best.
    I watched this movie with my 7 year old daughter yesterday, literally 10 times back to back. Not only are the graphics in this movie beautiful but the message is as well. My daughter has been experiencing bullying lately and this movie couldn't have come at a better time. It taught my daughter how to stand up to bully's and not to let them affect or change her. The movie teaches you that it is OK to ask for help. It is OK to be different. It is OK to dream and believe in magic. I cannot understand why someone would give this movie under 10 stars. One of the best Disney movies I have seen in a long time. "Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."
    My wife and I watched this at home on DVD from our public library.

The story is based on the 1982 book by Roald Dahl, who among others wrote the screenplay for "You Only Live Twice" and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang", and writer of source stories for a number of movies and TV shows.

In the core story a 10-yr-old orphan in London, Ruby Barnhill as Sophie, looks out her window late one night and sees a giant in the street. He is concerned that she will tell everyone so he reaches in and takes her in his hand, and brings her back to his land of giants. It turns out he is the smallest of the giants, the others, who are also mean, refer to him as "runt."

Plus, the other giants long for a morsel of "human bean" so much of the middle of the story involves the giant, which she names "B.F.G.", helping her avoid being eaten.

In the end both of them end up at Buckingham Palace and have breakfast with the Queen. They convince her to use the military and their lifting helicopters to go the the land of the giants and capture them, depositing them in the ocean near a small island away from everything else, where they can live in exile, growing a sort of nasty squash for food.

A very entertaining movie. I can't say enough good things about young Ruby Barnhill as Sophie. She has such a nice, natural acting style, she is totally believable in a fictional way.
  • aboragab-6020220 December 2016
    i liked it so much and I had mixed feelings before I saw it.Graphic it's so good and i liked it.the story take you to a dream world which we escape to it from our world to be happy and make our needs without any thing i think it's so good to children to know a good and bad moment.It may not awesome to all adults and teens but it is a great choice for kids and family's to watch .It's really a true new concept for giant peoples. living in truly new world. and the main thing is animation, its beautiful. and all the giant people acting are awesome.Recommend this movie for everyone who has a child's heart, a youthful dream. And thanks for the movie makers, thank you very much to being us this movie!
  • It's been a whopping 25 years since Steve Spielberg's last real children's film, when he disappointed children and adults alike with his Peter Pan re-imagining Hook. After a long period of going back and forth between monochromatic, Oscar-wary history lessons and crowd-pleasing blockbuster fare, Hollywood's most famous director is back trying to win the hearts of both children and parents as he did with one of his most celebrated movies, E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (1982), with a passion project he's been considering for some time. He also reunites with E.T. screenwriter Melissa Mathison (who sadly died last year) to bring the notoriously tricky world of Roald Dahl to the big screen.

Insomniac orphan Sophie (Ruby Barnhill) spends her nights either beneath her blanket pouring over books or roaming the halls of the orphanage looking for anything that may spark her interest. While up late one night, she shushes some drunks staggering home from the pub, only to glimpse the shadow of what looks like a giant hooded man. The figure gets closer and closer, until a giant hand reaches in through her window and whisks her and blanket both across the country. The mysterious monstrosity turns out to be a giant indeed, but a big, friendly one, played in motion capture by a wonderful Mark Rylance. The BFG is the runt of his litter in Giant Country, and is routinely bullied by the much bigger fellow giants that lurk on the land outside of his cave. The two outcasts will form a bond that will see their two worlds unite.

Brian Cosgrove's beloved animated film from 1989 was incredibly close to the book, and was said to be a personal favourite of Dahl's. Yet a faithful page-to-screen adaptation of a terrific piece of literature doesn't necessarily result in a good movie, and having watched the cartoon relatively recently, I didn't find it very entertaining. Spielberg's update also stays quite close to Dahl's text, and it suffers from the same saggy narrative as the much shorter movie that came before did. Anyone hoping to keep their children entertained for a couple of hours may find them getting restless, as Spielberg is happy to take his time exploring this strange land. It's a decision I applaud, but it doesn't excuse an incredibly slow middle-section, as the BFG introduces the world of dream-catching, snozzcumbers and the joys of farting to the precocious Sophie, complete with rambling monologues and existential pondering.

There's also a noticeable reluctance to explore the darker areas of the book, with the giants (played like Cockney bouncers by the likes of Jemaine Clement and Bill Hader) failing to live up their names (Fleslumpeater, Bloodbottler, Bonecruncher). They instead come across as bullying buffoons and not the child-munching monsters they are meant to be. If there is one thing the film gets totally right, it is with the casting of Rylance, fresh off his Oscar win for Bridge of Spies (2015). The wonderful effects by Weta perfectly capture the warmth and innocence of his performance, and his line delivery is pitch- perfect. Spielberg also goes all-out with Dahl's bizarre finale, which sees Sophie recruit the Queen herself (Penelope Wilton) and her trusted butler Mr. Tibbs (Rafe Spall) in her fight against the evil giants of Giant Country. It's a truly weird climax, but it's the only consistently funny part of the movie. Not a total failure by any stretch of the imagination, but a somewhat rambling, timid effort to bring a difficult book to the screen.
  • This is my first review on IMDb. Why? Because I am surprised, better said shocked about the response to this movie. Such a beautiful film, so subtle so warm, humorous, what a wonderful world created. So much heart. It is not about spectacle, action and it is not specifically for children, it is for everybody with a young heart. Who still has a child inside full of wonder and gratitude of being alive. The characters are so beautiful, humorous, the gentle gentle giant. The girl, strong, direct but touched inside by this gentle giant. The visual effects wow so much to see, experience, the scene with chasing the dreams, beautiful beautiful. And can't say enough about this film, how wonderful wonderful this film was for me. Yes me, a man of 53 years old. And my girlfriend about the same age as me shares my opinion. Are we crazy, or is there something wrong with this world? Thank you Steven Spielberg for daring to create such a beautiful fairy tale, true magic of the heart. If you open yourself for it maybe it can touch you, you may feel it.

Karel
  • This movie is definitely one to watch with your kids and not only. If you are still a young spirit you can watch it with no fear. It will make you happy! No doubt.
  • Steven Spielberg doesn't make "bad" films; even his oft ridiculed 1941 isn't actually "that bad" and lets just forget about The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull but the Great Beared One's The BFG is certainly below middle of the road leaning towards downright average Spielbergian fare, which is a great big shame when you consider the seemingly perfectly suited combination of the famed director and author extraordinaire Roald Dahl.

A beloved novel (and one I certainly enjoyed as a child) and an enjoyable animated feature, The BFG is an appealing tale that features wonder, intrigue and more than its fair share of potty humour (which makes up one of the films major set ups) and we all know Spielberg can handle himself when it comes to family entertainment but there's something strikingly off about The BFG, that whilst hard to pinpoint to an exact element, is enough to hamper the film for its entirety of its runtime even though there are glimpses of a much better film frequently appearing throughout.

The film looks and sounds delightful, as you'd expect with the finely crafted CGI, the score from John Williams and the lens work from frequent Spielberg DOP Janusz Kaminski and after unearthing the underused and largely unknown Mark Rylance (now an Oscar winner) in Bridge of Spies last year, Spielberg and the British theatre staple produce an impressive BFG incarnation with Rylance's animated facial expressions and colourful portrayal of the runt of the giant litter a stand out in a film that finds trouble making us care for the characters that inhabit it and the narrative that drives it.

Newcomer Ruby Barnhill gets the tricky job of making human lead Sophie work and while the young performer clearly has the attitude to become Sophie, it's not a memorable turn by any stretch of the imagination and Sophie often comes across as annoying rather than endearing and her friendship with the BFG doesn't ever get the warm and fuzzies going.

The other (forgive me please) giant problem with The BFG is the actual source material and E.T screenwriter Melissa Mathison's adaptation of it. The film never really feels like it has anything on the line, never actually seems to be going anywhere fast and with a downright lacking finale the whole show feels like a non-event. It's strange for a Spielberg film to feel so as even his average films are still good fun whereas The BFG finds the esteemed filmmaker struggling to wring emotion, fun or excitement (even dream catching seems boring) out of a tale that on the basis of this effort seems far better suited to text rather than screen.

A hugely disappointing experience and one that will likely get lost in the abundance of high and low class family films getting produced on a mass level in today's climate, The BFG marks what could be a career low point for Spielberg and one of 2016's biggest missed opportunities and even for the biggest Spielberg fans out there, this is a film you can safely miss seeing on the big screen and perhaps altogether. Not something you'd often say regarding the newest Spielberg blockbuster.

2 bubbly beverages out of 5
  • Before to see the adaptation, the mix of emotion and prudence defines me. because, from an early age, I was one of small fans of the book. and the name of Steven Spielberg, as always, represents a good promise. but each adaptation of a lovely book is a challenge first for viewer. and the film is real beautiful. for that, not only the technology has a significant role but the option, a profound inspired one, of director for the couple Mark Rylance and Ruby Barnhill. Rylance is the expected BFG for me. so familiar and admirable performed than the respect for its performer becomes more than great. Barnhill is and she is not the Sophie who I imagine. but she has the all virtues for become, scene by scene. it is a lovely film. and that is only important thing. because it seems bizarre to compare it with more than the novel of Roald Dahl. and the verdict is real favorable for Steven Spilberg project.
  • I read the BFG when I was a kid. Loved it.

I watched the BFG when I was an adult. Didn't love it.

Difference?

I found that the whole movie lacked charm. It was 2 hours of "this happened, then that happened. Now look at this special effect sequence. Now we're going to have people talk to each other", with no real establishment if of why I should care about anything going on or the characters themselves. As I said, the movie lacked engagement and charm

Sure, it was a Spielberg movie so the movie was not *technically* bad. The man knows how to put together a movie. However, this was not an engaging one.

Some of the pacing was totally off in this film. Some jokes and sequences lasted WAY too long, where other important elements were pushed through too fast.

At the end of the day, one might say "well it's for kids". To that, I say that the kids who were in the theatre seemed less than thrilled as well.
    Let's start with the obvious. The BFG is a major disappointment on all fronts. The story doesn't hold interest and doesn't flow. The actors lack chemistry, and Ruby Barnhill is unfortunately a very poor casting choice. John Williams' score is bland, uninspiring and at times so obvious and overpowering that you just wish the music wasn't there at all. The CGI is occasionally brilliant, but mostly - mediocre. Not once did I see Sophie being carried in BFG's palm where it looked natural.

So the less obvious question is - why and where did it go so wrong. The answer is that the treatment is all wrong. The brilliance of Dahl's BFG is that it's a multi-layered, complex novel, hiding behind the facade of a children's book. It's full of subtleties and innuendos and satire. But most importantly, it juxtaposes good and evil, beautiful and ugly, horror and amazement. The good balances the bad. Without them both, the incredible concoction that is The BFG is just some bland chicken soup. Which is exactly what the movie is. Disney and Spielberg have stripped the evil from the story, leaving us with a meaningless and sentimental journey to nowhere. Here is one example of the impact of this treatment. In the book, the characters of maid Mary and the butler Mr. Tibbs serve as the comic relief. Sure, there is some class criticism and satire in their characters, but mostly they are there to add some long needed laughter after some frightening and tense moments. In the film these two are straight characters (romantically involved), with only a hint of comedy. And this makes sense, because in absence of the evil and the frightening, there is no need for a comic relief in the movie.

And so, we know the answer. The treatment of The BFG was totally wrong. It should have never been a Disney film. Nor a kids' film for that matter. The BFG is and should be treated as young adults literature, and the movie needs to reflect that. Otherwise, it's just some lukewarm snozzcumber soup.

• I was willing to give this movie a chance. It's Steven Spielburg, what could possibly go wrong, right?

Well, to be fair, this isn't the WORST movie ever made, but it's one of those waste-of- time movies that just doesn't instill any kind of coherent emotional reaction. I felt nothing during this movie. There was nothing for me to enjoy.

The visuals were really phony. I know that a movie like this needs CGI if they wanted it to be live action, but the blending of the two was just AWFUL. Every time Sophie and the BFG were in a scene together I could tell she was sitting in front of a green screen.

Most of the film was also whimsy for the sake of whimsy, with the pretty visuals of the sparkly dreams drifting around the fairytale forest landscape serving no function other than to wave pretty colors in the faces of children to keep them entertained.

The story meandered. Then they introduced a conflict, which could have added a ticking clock element to the plot. And once I thought it was going somewhere, the plot stopped completely to make for hilarious antics of the BFG in Buckingham Palace. "Isn't it hilarious that he's giant and everything else is tiny?" the movie asks. "No," I say. It's not really. Maybe a kid would find it funny, but since I'm not a kid I can't say for sure.

"Isn't it funny that he says weird words in the presence of the Queen of England?" the movie asks. "No," I say again. It's really not. All the humor in this movie falls flat on its face. It's the kind of weirdly delivered humor that I remember movies like The Polar Express have, where there are "wacky" characters who do and say things that are not inherently funny, but based on the other characters reactions, the movie tells us that we were supposed to laugh at it.

What was the point of the magical fart juice? Other than being true to the book, that is. Seriously, it was the most pointless joke in the movie. The delivery was bad, the timing of it was bad, and the execution of it was bad. The moment the BFG reached for that bottle of fart juice the second time (an hour after the movie introduced it and forgot about it), I had to walk out. That was it for me.

I really don't know what else to say other than The BFG was a meandering, pointless waste of time. Nothing was funny, there was almost no tension, the plot goes nowhere, and I left without feeling anything for any of the characters. Maybe a kid of 10 or under would enjoy it, but as an adult in their twenties, I certainly didn't. I walked out of it, so I don't even know if it got better in the last half hour or so.

Skip it. Unless you're young and easily entertained.
  • So five years ago I was in fourth grade my class read this book and I loved it, so when I heard that Steven Spielberg would be directing a movie, I got pretty excited. Finally I am walking out of the theater with my head hung low, this disappointed me on so many ways. Let me begin by saying that the main character Sophie, has absolutely no character development.The opening scene is when the BFG abducts her. It takes about 4 minutes for that to happen and doesn't take the time to introduce much about Sophie. I was trying to not let that bother me too much. But it is never explained why the BFG truly took her to giant country. It made no sense. My biggest issue with this movie is that it really has no plot. There is no conflict or problem needed to be solved. The final 30 minutes finally have something happening, but it is so poorly done and randomly included. I should give it credit for the character of the BFG being exactly like the book which was cool. And most of the things done in the movie were closely like the book. And the scene with the queen was fun and enjoyable. But other than that this movie is incredibly slow and dull. All my family fell asleep I was the only one who stayed awake to watch the entire thing. There are some really childish moments that someone under 5 would laugh at. I'm sorry, I truly apologize but this movie is not that good. If you loved the book it would disappoint you, like it did to me. If you really want to see this movie just wait for the DVD to come out.
  • this should be one of spielberg's worst efforts ever.

the most boring movie i saw in a long ime.

no plot....not good actors.....not an explanation to whatever was happening.

a giant took the little girl with no explanation just like that.

the scenario was poor.....performances mediocre....the cgi so and so and the movie was poor overall and one of the worst from spielberg who lost his touch in this effort.

Not recommended . avoid it. there are better movies from this genre out there.

the only thing worth it are a few scenes in which the giant meets the queen and there's a laugh there but nothing much.

spielberg failed big in this effort.

better luck next time.
    I saw The BFG in theaters for my friend's birthday. Why she picked this movie, I will never understand. As I was leaving the house my brother yelled "You know they're calling that movie the worst film ever directed by Spielberg, right?"

Oh, how I should have listened. I was sitting in between two of my other friends (not the birthday girl). Thank goodness, because I think I might've ruined her birthday with my constant "What are they doing?" and "Are they serious with this dialogue right now?" At one point I actually fell asleep. When I fell asleep, they were frolicking around the magic dream tree. When I woke up, they were outside the window of the Queen of England. Yes, it's as ridiculous as it sounds. And miraculously enough, I was still completely caught up plot-wise, despite falling asleep. THAT is how stupid this movie was.

The small child, whose name we don't learn until the very end, was every stereotypical child-wonder ever. I'm pretty sure the filmmakers decided to take Matilda, take away her superpowers, and stick her into Giantville. The BFG himself is quite frightening, really. His habit of screwing up every word out of his mouth comes across as annoying rather than endearing. And why in the world did he take the child in the first place? It's so confusing. And his little dream-lab is frightening, to say the least.

The "message" of the film is actually pretty screwed up. When the BFG decides to put the child back in her orphanage for her own good (the smartest decision he'll make in the film, btw), she throws herself out the window, believing that the BFG will catch her. That works out great for her, but what about the small impressionable children watching the film? And at the very end, it is revealed that the BFG can actually hear the whispers of children everywhere. I left the theater disturbed rather than happy at that revelation.

The CGI is laughable. When I saw the trailer, I was convinced for a few moments that it was an animated film. My friend came into the theater convinced that it was an animated film. It actually might have been less weird as an animated film. Because in this disturbing mix of an actual child and a CGI giant world, it was creepy as hell.

If you respect Steven Spielberg as a filmmaker and a human being, do not watch the BFG. I had nightmares for a week.
    Spielberg is one of the worlds most talented directors, and has always entertained and brought something special to his films. They have their own style, and there is always that 'Spielberg feel' to them.

He invented the summer blockbuster with Jaws, reinvented it with Raiders Of The Ark, reinvented it again with Jurassic Park, and had some major summer hits with Tom Cruise in the noughites.

So to hear that he was adapting one of the most beloved books of all time to the big screen, with one of the most reputable film studios in the world, was a dream come true.

Sophie is in for a surprise when she meets the Big Friendly Giant. Scared at first, the young girl soon realises that the 24-foot colossus is actually gentle and charming.

As their friendship grows, Sophie's presence attracts the unwanted attention of Bloodbottler, Fleshlumpeater and other giants.

After travelling to London, Sophie and the BFG must convince Queen Elizabeth to help them get rid of all the bad giants once and for all.

But the reality is an absolute nightmare.

Although the film is pretty faithful to the book, and the initial sighting Sophie has of the titular character is breathtaking, it all goes downhill once Sophie enters the land of the giants.

Gone is all that magic and love that Spielberg once had, the film is nothing more than an expensive special effects bonanza featuring a plethora of dead eyed giants, and one that resembles Mark Rylance.

Whereas films like E.T, and even A.I had a wonderfully parental chemistry between the subject matter and their cinematic partners that gave the film that Spielberg sheen, this has nothing of the sort, and the relationship between Sophie and The B.F.G is virtually non existent.

Even Temple Of Doom had a convincing paternal element in the relationship between Indy and Shortround.

When we are in the land of the giants, I'm sure I could have gone into the projection booth, spliced a few scenes from warcraft into it, and no one would have been none the wiser.

There's no urgency to the film, the effects, while impressive, just take up the majority of the second act, and most importantly, Spielberg just doesn't seem to have added any of his love, magic, or soul to this project.

It's as almost if he thought it would be a licence to print money.

A real disappointment.
  • Took the kids to watch this, 3 of the kids (around 9 to 11 years of age) enjoyed it, while 2 of the kids(5 and 6 respectively) and myself (in my 30s) fell asleep.

The girl's acting is awful and the plot was tedious and the lack of suspense, mystery and magic made this a poor film to watch

However, some of the cinematic scenes, particularly the land of dreams were magical and the best part of the film.

The older kids loved the weird green drink that brings about gastric in a massive way

Overall, a very boring film which I wouldn't bother watching at the cinema but it's not a bad film if it's on the telly or if you have 10 to 11 year olds watching it