• jen12121230 September 2018
    It had me until the end....then I wanted to throw things at the screen....
    I have to be honest. For a person who likes to critique parts of a movie like plot, character development, story flow etc., it's not one of the best ones out there. Yes it could've had more depth to it, but I think this movie is meant for someone who can relate to it as a whole. It's main undertone is about being in a situation where it feels right even if you KNOW that it's wrong. Josh having a drink with Ruby the first time they met while Josh's girlfriend is at a different bar celebrating her birthday and Ruby still tagging along with Josh the 2nd time they meet even if both of them are in relationships.

A lot of people have been there before, being in a committed relationship where you KNOW that you love the person that you're with and then out of nowhere, you meet someone that makes you question everything about your current relationship and even more about yourself. For people who have been in a similar situation, you are kept on edge as the movie goes along because you wanna see how they figure it out and if a "happy ending" is waiting. The best part of the movie is the conversation they had on the cab on the way to Ruby's apartment where Josh is supposed to drop her off before he heads home. Here, they both admit their feelings for one another (as if we didn't know it already) but at the same time, still acknowledging that they love the people that they are currently with and they don't want to hurt them. You can see pain in both their eyes because they know that in their hearts, they want to explore a whole different chapter of their lives with each other. It does not make it any easier when they both realize that the things that "goes over the heads" of their partners, is the very thing that makes them like each other so much. It makes it more complicated when Ruby admits that she is engaged and is leaving Hong Kong in a few days. The last scene where Ruby looks at the taxi driver, deciding whether or not she should let Josh come up to her apartment before the screen turns to black gives the audience an open ending.

Already Tomorrow in Hong Kong is a romantic and light movie that explores the greatest irony of love "Meeting the right person at the wrong time".
  • It is impossible not to think about Before Sunrise when watching this movie: two people meet in a beautiful foreign city and spend the night talking to each other. This movie was really frustrating, as I love Hong Kong and I love the two main actors, still, the superficiality of the writing and lack of depth during the whole movie was such a disappointment. The movie even lacks rhythm, as sometimes it takes forever and then it rushes to the end. There wasn't any grow or character deepening, there is no development in their conversation as it is always the same; by the end of the movie, the relationship between them didn't feel any closer than it was at the beginning. That is why it is so difficult to make a movie so much alike another, because I couldn't help but compare all along. Don't get me wrong, I love rom-coms, so this should have been and easy win. Maybe this could work for younger audiences that haven't seen the "Before..." movies.
    I liked this movie. I don't know how some people say they don't have chemistry, they're MARRIED in real life. I thought they had a great chemistry in the film and both good actors. I really wish the ending wasn't such a cliffhanger, so unsatisfying. That was my biggest thing I didn't like about the film.
    I rarely ever write reviews on movies because I feel like the movie I just watched would be ruined if I picked it apart too much. This movie though, it was refreshing from the romantic movies that I'm used to watching. I'll keep it short and try to be spoiler free as possible.

So, as Josh and Ruby are walking through the streets of Hong Kong they explain why they're there (Hong Kong) in the first place, and that leads them to sharing some excerpts of their lives. The night is going great for both of them until Josh throws a "curve ball" at Ruby, then their fun night quickly ends with quick and awkward goodbyes that are filled with disappointment.

They meet again out of the blue after a whole year has gone by, and they decide to hang out for the night like they did when they first met. They carry on into the night like nothing has changed; very comfortable with each other and just that it factor that makes it seem they've known each other for a long time. The night is going well and it was about to end on a good note until "something realistic" happened, and yet again, they both find themselves in a precarious spot. Josh and Ruby decide to end the night, and so they split a cab. They discuss what happened earlier (sort of), the cab stops at Ruby's address, and the cab men tells them to hurry up because they were still talking. The cab man then asks them "Do you want two stops?". The movie ends without Josh or Ruby answering the question.

My last few sentences in the paragraph above this paragraph might give you a hint as to what the "curve ball" and "something realistic" is, but that's okay because there's much more to this movie than those two aspects. The reason why I really like this movie is because it really touch bases with real life situations, especially when you're presented with choices that impacts your future. Another reason why I like it is because of the ending. You're left to think of what would happen next, and you wouldn't know what would happen next because of the context of what was said in the car, and what happened earlier before Josh and Ruby got into the cab. The faces you are presented with by Josh and Ruby is what really drives the ending because all of their emotions are very well presented and it really shows that life is tough and confusing when you have to make a tough decision.

Hopefully my review didn't give away too much, and I highly recommend it because this movie is one of those movies where it really just makes you ponder about life. Even if you don't want to ponder about life, you should still watch this. Too many life lessons in this movie for you to not watch it. Happy watching!
  • This film tells the romantic encounters happening over two nights in Hong Kong between an expat American man and an Chinese American woman.

It's so refreshing to see an English language film shot entirely in Hong Kong. The filmmakers obviously passionate about Hong Kong, and has incorporated many always of local life into the film. It's nice to see both expat lives and local lives depicted in the film, though I would like desserts and karaoke in the film too! The plot is very romantic, I can actually understand how the woman gets jealous despite having just met the man. It also briefly and superficially explores the cultural divide and barriers of a cross cultural relationship. I enjoyed watching this film.
  • How far would you allow your connection with one person to alter your life?

I found this movie very refreshing in this day, from a long line of cheesy romance wanna be movies, this one is set apart and definitely worth the watch.

I have watched it twice in one day and feeling refreshed with each watch, something about the story that sparks at realism, yeah the acting is not the best, the chemistry not that great but the movie has an undertone of something for those in relationships to really think about in regards to how they allow themselves to be accessed by other and the ultimate question of are you content in your relationship?
  • This is a nicely done romantic-drama with an Asian twist. The leads are well matched. She is seriously gorgeous (from every camera angle), and an actor that many will definitely be on the lookout for in the future. The third important lead in the film is the city of Hong Kong itself. For those who have never been, it gives a very good feel and look inside this bustling metropolis. It's a simple story.. one that's been told time and again. They're both with other people, and cross paths with someone to whom they both have an attraction and almost instant connection. The dialogue comes easy, time moves along at a relaxed pace, although the story lacks complexity. It happens infrequently, but here's another rom-com-drama where there's no kissing, and little touching (except for a handshake and a brief dance). Of course running into each other the second time (especially in this complex city) would be nothing short of miraculous, but without it there is no movie. At the end do they make one more stop.. they want you feeling the answer is in her final glance.
    I've a love for both The Before Trilogy/Series and Hong Kong. Having seen those movies many times and exploring Hong Kong for many months.

I was excited to see this movie after reading the short synopsis but it wasn't apparent to me how influenced by The Before Series this movie is. It's so influenced it could be considered a remake but shot in another location.

I feel Miss Ting could have added more of her own creativity into the mix to try make this into something other than a clone of the Before set.

Scenes like the karaoke/Cantonese Opera and the Fortune Teller seem like they were put in to mirror aspects of those movies. Even the run time is similar as this is a short movie.

The movie was also poorly lit. I appreciate it was shot at night but there were times when it affected my viewing.

I didn't feel like the two leads had any chemistry and unlike the dialogue in Before Sunrise/Before Sunset I wasn't that interested in what they had to say.

I really enjoyed the journey as it was a walk around Hong Kong so I probably rated this higher than if it was set somewhere I had never been.

Maybe I'd have rated this higher if I'd never seen the Before Series but ultimately having seen those superior movies I felt a big disappointment.

It felt more like a student movie to me, even down to the soundtrack. The lyrics that roll over at the end made me laugh. Rhymes for Kowloon Tong.....

Go watch Before Sunrise/Before Sunset instead.
    A lot of reviews praise on how "real" this feels. Yes, it feels real in some ways, that it unfolds like a real date would unfold, but also the bad writing and clumsy acting continuously break that illusion.

The first twenty minutes of this is just them walking around Hong Kong asking each other about their backstories. Literally just backstory info-dump throughout this whole thing. Yes, the conversation is what you would really have on a real date, but you end up feeling third wheel. So fun.

The point of a story is to have something happen, and nothing really happens. The only decent thing that happens in this first segment is she is Chinese (though the actress is Korean?), and he is an American ex-pat, and he knows his way around the city better than her. They build on it a little bit when she keeps needing directions, and then when he finds a non-touristy bar to chill out in, but really this whole first 20 minutes is just about lazy info-dump.

Eventually, spoiler alert, it's revealed that he already has a girlfriend. Sorry, but this is probably the most cliché trope in cinema. "You're great... but I already have a girlfriend... but only if I had met you first!" Then they bump into each other on a ferry a year later, and then they both have S.O.s but go on an amazing errand adventure together to pick up some clothes from the trailer.

The writing is weak, and the acting is bad. The only redeeming quality is the cinematography makes great use of Hong Kong, and you learn a little about Hong Kong culture. Basically, it's a travel journal with a clumsy romance.
  • ALREADY TOMORROW in Hong Kong

Comparison with "BEFORE SUNRISE" comes naturally, yet this drama pushes the envelop further. Chinese American girl Ruby strikes up random acquaintance with ex-pat Josh, spends seemingly endless hours in Hong Kong's gorgeous night scene, filled with interesting characters, but mostly indulged in each other's company. Director Emily Ting skillfully delivered the punches at the right time. Like when Ruby facilely tells Josh that Greg (or is it Daniel ) who is coming to Hong Kong to help Ruby pack for return to the states and imminent engagement. "Now I don't know what I want!" gasped Ruby, as the taxi driver announced she has arrived at her stop. Real choice to make, and up a whole level from "Before Sunrise" because that movie ended on platonic note but here Josh and Ruby are faced with life decision, right in the cab. Diaglogs were intelligent and reflect how two middle class early thirty couple would talk. What could have been done better - not much except, Director Ting could add more filler to time between the two meet again, to space out the time and show a little what their lives apart from each other is like. And it bothers me a little that a Chinese American girl living in Los Angeles knows nothing of the language and culture of her own people. Even after a year of her job assignment to live in Kowloon (the twin city) that she exhibits no familiarity of things Chinese. If you overlook these two flaws, you have a very intimate and engaging romance.

By the way I totally disagree with other review who called this movie poorly lit. The bar scenes at the Lan Qui Lane, the ferry boat, the street scene with the hawkers were brilliantly lit; the street opera set does look dark but in fact that is how it looks exactly . It is properly lit to capture the exact nuance of Hong Kong. Director Ting obviously knows and loves Hong Kong.
  • fuzifoto19 January 2020
    I love the cast and Hong Kong sights. Jamie is my favourite female asian actor.
  • beezee3016 July 2016
    In a city such as HK with millions of Asians, an Asian-American woman from LA ends up chatting to... a white man from NYC?! Really?!! The sheer coincidence is just unbelievable. I get that there are some American expats in HK but they are easily outnumbered by expats from the UK and Australia who tend to be mostly Asian.

And what is it with Western media portraying white men as the saviour of Asian women? This would have been more believable if Jamie Chung was paired up with an expat who is Asian of Chinese descent. This is HK after all. The subject is briefly and quickly mentioned and brushed over in the film. If the film had explored the subject in more depth it would have aided to their character development.

The film is full of spoken exposition. A film is supposed to SHOW not TELL. Otherwise I would have watched a stage play or an episode of a soap opera instead.

The worst part is that the two leads exhibit zero chemistry on screen considering they are married in real life. There exist no spark of attraction between the two in the film. Bryan Greenberg's acting is passable but Jamie Chung is just awful, clearly requiring further acting classes.

The cinematography is striking but the film is just style with no substance.
  • What an excellent little masterpiece of romance in an exciting location. The whole film revolves around two people talking and getting to know each other in a non-native environment, Hong Kong. She is Chinese but doesn't speak the lingo as she grew up in L.A. He has been in Hong Kong for a long time and speaks the lingo but is originally from New York.They are both attracted to each other but try to deny the attraction as they both have partners.

Jamie Chung plays her part very well. I have seen her in other movies, Eden for example, and not only is she a really good actress but she is undeniably gorgeous. Bryan Greenberg is her co-star and is equally talented as an actor.

An excellent romantic drama and totally believable. I have spent a lot of time in S.E. Asia and things really do happen there just like in the movie!
    I wanted to love this movie because Hong Kong was portrayed so beautifully. They got a lot of aspects of Hong Kong right, but the two main characters had no chemistry and the acting was so bad it was distracting.

The script, assuming this drivel wasn't all ad-libbed, was contrived and unimaginative. First of all, the guy, Josh, was in finance and the girl, Ruby, encourages him to "follow his dream" of becoming a writer. Why do the villagers all have their pitchforks out for bankers? It's low hanging fruit. He wants to be a writer, but for someone who minored in English lit, his grammar is atrocious. What if his dream is to live in one of the most exciting cities in the world and not have to sell his blood to live?

So Josh, on the advice of a girl he met once, quits his cushy bank job and decides to write full time. Paying rent in Hong Kong is tough even on a banker's salary. I hope he saved a lot of those bonus checks, so he can afford to be an unemployed writer in one of the most expensive cities in the world. He's so much cooler, though, what with the hipstery beard and plaid shirt and all.

I noticed a few technical aspects which were probably dramatic license. The night they first meet, Josh offers to show Ruby to Lan Kwai Fong, which is 10 minutes away. The way he took her was the complete opposite direction and the escalator only goes up at night so they couldn't have taken it to Lan Kwai Fong. They even threw in a shot of a tram which is not even close to where they were going. Was he being creepy taking her the long way or was it for scenic effect?

I gave it 4/10 because the Hong Kong scenery looked gorgeous. I have to give the filmmakers credit for making the Temple Street Night Market actually look like fun instead of a vast assortment of cheap tourist crap. Another transit issue, they went through all that to find a taxi to HK Island when the fast, cheap MTR is right there. That's probably because the MTR is not nearly as cozy and romantic a setting in which to decide whether or not you are cheating on your significant other. BTW, if you have to keep a relationship secret, you are.

As a love letter to Hong Kong, this works. As a love story, it falls flat. I would watch it again, only this time with the sound off.
  • Possibly the worst movie ever made. I watched it on a fight and abandoned it frequently and yet returned. For two reasons. Firstly I thought that to comment upon, and warn people about, this excruciating film was a public service. Second to tip people off that the film contains some fine location shots of Hong Kong. Indeed this footage would be well worth putting together as a brief travel documentary. Ten minutes worth maximum. But the rest of the movie? OMG as they say.

It is a two-hander. Until briefly at the end there are no characters with speaking parts bar the two about whom the "story" (such as it is ) is built. He a thirty-something American who has lived in Hong Kong for ten years and works in Finance. She a visiting (first visit) Chinese-American whose parents left the Territory before she was born and who is, unsurprisingly, almost 100% American, though her appearance is Asian.

The interplay between the two is banal, boring, devoid of passion and has dialogue which sounds as if it was created by a badly-programmed computer. This bad dialogue is not helped by acting so wooden that far from coming to life the characters seem destined for an early and merciful death. If only ! We know from the start that the story is about the two falling for one another. RomCom territory. But not only does the acting and the script barely convey this but it seems that the direction couldn't get anything out of the actors and that the editor couldn't, or didn't, try.

We simply don't care about these stilted, reserved, confused two people. If they fell off the Star Ferry we'd wave them goodbye without a conscience. I wanted to shout "Kiss the silly cow" or at least "Hold her bloody hand". But no. He is subsumed in embarrassment and she seems to be acting out a 1950s movie in which "Nice Girls Didn't". More Sandra Dee than Bruce Lee.

The end is ambivalent which suggests that the perpetrators of this farrago might think that there is a follow-up film to be made. There isn't! The combination of woeful story line, dreadful script, atrocious acting and empty direction means that the movie should be ignored, even for those who love Hong Kong. Except that the location shots, for Hong Kong lovers, are excellent. A superficial, low budget pointless film and a risible attempt to use modern-day Hong Kong to light up even the most trite and trivial of stories. It doesn't !
  • jillemor13 August 2019
    If you love "Before Sunset," you should watch this movie, because it's basically the same exact film. It's just 20 years later in a different international city with different characters playing out nearly the same night.
    Two month ago, an American broke up with me, after two weeks' dating. I am a Chinese, btw, living in my own country. The excuse he gave me was we had no connection. I have to thank to this film for helping me out of my confusions.

Josh, the leading role in this film, is an American who has been living in Hong Kong for ten years. He has been in a two-year relationship with a Chinese girl who got her university degree in America. However, the moment he talks to Ruby, an American who he has met twice and who is to stay in Hong Kong for a year, he knows what real "connection" is. They are raised up in similar language and culture background. They watched the same cartoons as kids and they enjoy jokes and puns that people brought up in another world cannot understand.

I see comments like "these two people are just talking very shallow topics" thus they are not really liking each other but just flirting. I agree that the two characters do not really have mutual understanding in anything profound like world outlook or share a similar taste in arts and literature. But so what? In a foreign place, the two are the best they can find for each other.
  • Hong Kong itself is the 3rd character in this moving and intimate story, as it gives the rich foundation and backdrop for these two characters to ignite and fall in love with one another. Believable and authentically portrayed.

I don't understand the strong negative reviews, particularly those that seem to be scoring it against a criteria not relevant to this film. I make no comparison or judgment against other films in scoring this, but simply on merit and based on what I experience of this film... which is a great appreciation for the work, feeling, and authenticity that all involved in this film must have given to produce such a personable film.
    I give this movie two stars because as many have already pointed out, the scenery is exquisite and makes me want to visit Hong Kong. Although it sounds dangerous. I would run the risk of running into these two and dying of boredom.

The two main characters' banter is extremely awkward and wooden. It makes you realize it's probably pretty hard to write good dialogue so I have a better appreciation for filmmakers who do. These two sound like they are actually Barbie dolls and children are speaking through them. For example:

Boy: what are you doing here? Girl: I actually live here now. Boy: what? You moved here? To Hong Kong?

I guess in case the audience fell asleep and forgot where the movie was set in.

There are some problems that I had with the movie. Mainly how painful listening to the characters talking to each other which is the main focal point of the movie.

I feel like I maybe could see what they were trying to go for and the premise is promising.. but you really need great writing to hold the interest of the audience. Too bad this fell very short. It's not saying much when the saving grace of a film is looking at the natural beauty of the setting its in - nothing the filmmaker can take much credit for, other than having access to a nice camera.
  • merthin22 December 2016
    I happened across this movie on Netflix. One of my favorites, "Lost In Translation" immediately came to mind. The test for me in embracing a film is whether I care about the characters. This film made it easy. Jamie Chung is mesmerizingly fetching. Yes, sassy, but her character played with an honesty. She eats up every scene. She's every guys dream date. Smart acerbic clever funny and a stunner. Any of us that have experienced the dopamine rush of meeting that special someone can appreciate the obvious infatuation shared by these characters. Watching Ruby and seeing her obvious hopeful desire to be with Everyman Josh gives shlubs like us a brief moment of joy. The film is beautifully shot, and the dialogue playful. This storyline that demands a sequel! I don't know what you want in a movie, but for me, I got the same resonant subtle melancholy joy that I felt after Annie Hall, Lost in Translation, and as far back as the Sound Of Music. Josh Greenburg is one lucky guy. We are lucky that Emily Ting made this film.
  • This is a very sweet love letter to Hong Kong. Director Emily Ting does a great job of telling this simple, yet touching story of falling in love and the importance of timing. Stunning shots of Hong Kong (the 3rd star of the film!), and an awesome ending make Already Tomorrow in Hong Kong something special.

I'm happy that I got the chance to catch Already Tomorrow in Hong Kong at the Flyway Film Festival in Wisconsin this year. Emily Ting has a lot of films under her belt as a producer, and this is her first feature as a director. I'm really looking forward to see what she does next!
  • a kind of move which gives you a virtual tour of some of the local and main tourist spots of Hong Kong and a story which get you glued to your screen. The music was soothing and the performance by both the leads was phenomenal. I will not consider it a romantic movie because it was more about the relativity of their life. Both the characters who are in a relationship are trying to escape from their long time relationship while they are still trying to tell each other how happy they are in their relationship was a bit intriguing and cause of suspense towards the climax. Honesty i did't expected this type of ending to this movie. What i loved about the movie most is the location. This movie will literally take you to the tour of the Hong Kong city and beautiful depiction of the charm of the city.
  • For most audiences, It's Already Tomorrow in Hong Kong is but a barely watchable têt-à-têt between two lifeless characters, but for those living in Hong Kong, this movie is an insufferable and almost offensive representation of the city they love.

Not only is the film but an endless string of unbearable clichés, it grossly reduces every demographic that's seen to the most despicable version of itself - locals, expats, Australians, Mainlanders, Indians - did I miss anyone out?

For example, must every Australian living in Hong Kong be a rugby lad, every Mainland Chinese female shallow and manipulative, and every Indian a tailor? I understand that some of these caricatures exist in Hong Kong, but to only leverage on stereotypes is grating to the viewer and frankly disrespectful to location culture.

Perhaps what could have saved the film is the chemistry between the two lead actors, but the uninspiring and often cringe worthy dialogue leaves little room for anything but awkward or at best passable performances.

Ultimately, It's Already Tomorrow in Hong Kong is a unsavory version of films it pays homage to (Before Sunset). Let's just hope there's no sequel to this one.
  • First of, as an Asian girl, I am very disappointed with the main female character. She is whiny, she is supposedly an Asian woman who grew up in the west. You would expect that that would give her a mature outlook of cultural differences, specially between oriental and western.

But she whines about everything in Hong Kong and can't even see the adventure of just being in another part of the world. Any creative individual would be having an inspiration orgasm in a place like Hong Kong, so many visual stimuli and so much materials and avenue to work with. Also, FASHION!!! (which is supposedly her interest). I was also severely put off by how she acted like she lost her appetite when another couple sat beside them in the same table (a common scene in HK that I also found surprising). She could have been surprised, maybe laugh about it later, but not act like she owns the table, or the restaurant!

Secondly, western (or shall I say, American) TV shows can be a discussion between inter-racial couple but this movie should have researched enough to know that not all Asian countries are their exotic stereotype. How do you think a channel like "Hits" (re-runs of old American 80's and 90's TV show favourites) have a lot of followers in Asia?

Thirdly, why was she so surprise finding a knock-off of her toy??? every designer know the risk of their design being copied, especially in Hong Kong (if she works in Hong Kong, chances are that they make their toys in China! Hello, over-runs?!)

The guy is a typical stereotype of supposedly laid-back American expat who tries to play it cool all the time because he has very low self esteem and wants everyone to think he is interesting and cool. And the girl tries hard to complain about anything Hong Kong (or Asian) as if to prefer the west makes her so much better than Asians who grew up in Asia.

My point is, why would you set a movie in a foreign country (even include the name in the title) so that the characters can complain about it?

To me, it just seems like a mediocre attempt to create a supposedly unique love story with an indie feel. The best they can do was dress it up with such "hipster" style angles, give good indie music background matched with exotic eastern scenes, but completely failed to create more intelligent and endearing characters and story plot.