User Reviews (104)

• I have been familiar with and fascinated by Yossi Ghinsberg's dramatic survival story for many years and have even occasionally given classes about it at school. When I heard that there was a movie about this intriguing journey, it wasn't even a question whether I would purchase the film or not. The blandly titled Jungle fulfils my expectations on many levels.

If you haven't heard about Ghinsberg's true story yet, here is a very brief summary. The young Israelian adventurer traveled to South America after his mandatory military service and met an American photographer, Austrian geologist and Swiss teacher. The geologist convinced the three aquaintances to travel into the heart of the Bolivian jungle to discover unknown tribes and gold. Once they were deep inside the jungle, it became obvious that there was neither gold nor tribes to be discovered and that the geologist was actually a wanted criminal with shady objectives. When the Swiss teacher got injured, the group split up into two teams. The geologist and the teacher walked upstream towards the next village which was supposedly about three days away. The Israelian adventurer and the American photographer moved downstream with a raft but got separated in a canyon. Yossi Ghinsberg fought for survival as he tried to find his partner, travel downstream and make it to the next town while the American photographer got rescued by a tribe and tried to convince skeptic local authorities that Ghinsberg was still alive.

The movie is quite faithful to the true story even though a few anecdotes had to be cut and details had to be shortened. This was a good choice because the movie is quite fluid and neither too short nor too long. It takes about twenty minutes to introduce the four main characters and about another twenty minutes for them to start their journey. The last eighty minutes are dedicated to an intense and solitary survival story.

The locations are gorgeous yet terrifying as they show the thin line between beauty and horror. What looks like a peaceful river can turn into a deadly canyon within seconds. The seemingly solid ground becomes a treacherous bog. The scary animal becomes a tasty meal that helps you survive. Jungle is an intense experience for all your senses.

One element that needs to be pointed out is the superb acting. Daniel Radcliffe was obviously very dedicated to his role. He was guided by Yossi Ghinsberg himself and obviously very familiar with the source material as well. You can see a young and naive adventurer from a severe and traditional family who wants to break free but soon realizes that freedom can come with a price as he has to face impossible challenges that will exhaust him mentally and physically. Daniel Radcliffe's progressive transformation is absolutely stunning. When a human being finds itself in the middle of nature, there aren't many human features that remain. Survival knows no rules.

When the movie came to its conclusion, I was shivering all over my body. This is how bleak, dramatic and intense this film was. You could put me on an isolated arctic island for a year but not in such a jungle for even just a week.

If you like adventurous survival stories, you can't get around this movie. Jungle is an intense journey to the essence of humanity and nature. The wilderness shows us who we really are.
  • I just caught this film on Amazon Video and I'm kicking myself for not catching this at the movies. I don't think the movie was marketed well when it was released. I was blown away by all aspects of this film and found it hard to hold back my tears towards the end of the film.To an extent it reminded me of Danny Boyle's 127 Hours, but it's a beautifully made film in its own right. It's a survival story so be prepared to see some not so appetising scenes in parts but the pay off is worth it. Towards the end of the film we get to see the real people behind these characters and those photos will stay with you long after you've seen the film. I'd recommend you to seek this one out on the biggest screen you could find.
  • Man -vs- Nature.

This film is a smorgasbord of epic cinematography, beautiful location shoots, great directing and outstanding performance by Daniel Radcliffe.

However, I felt this is one of those films that had it been played at 1.5x speed, I would have enjoyed it more. The 1h 55min run-time felt really unnecessarily long. 1hr 15-25min would have been perfect had the pace picked up in certain areas it dragged.

Nevertheless, very enjoyable 'True Story' and a 8/10 from me.
  • A mysterious guide takes an enthusiastic adventurer and his friend into the Amazon jungle, but their journey turns deadly as the darkest element of the human nature and threats of the wild force them to fight for survival.

Daniel Raddcliffe (plays Yossi Ghinsberg) trades out the Dark Forest of Hogwarts for the Amazon. In 1981, Israel-born Ghinsberg (on whose account the film is about) follows a charming but deeply untrustworthy Austrian, Karl Ruprecter (Thomas Kretschmann), into the wilderness of Bolivia on the promise of finding a lost tribe and hopefully some gold along the way. Ghinsberg persuades two of his backpacking friends (played by Australian actors Alex Russell and Joel Jackson) to go along.

Greg McLean who is also behind "The Belko Experiment" and "Wolf Creek" also writes and directs this true story. Anybody who has lost their bearings on a hike for even a moment can understand the heart pounding panic portrayed in the film, along with the delicate state ones friendship might be when taking on nature's harshness. Greg does a tremendous job of putting us in Yossi's shoes, as he faces starvation, quick sand, skin worms, flashbacks and hallucinations. Radcliffe immerses himself entirely into the physical demands of this role and the result is a traumatic journey from which it's tough to see any positive outcome.

Rated R for language and some drug use I watched this on VidAngel and the rating only covers ½ of the content. Language is high here but there is also quite a bit of nudity, male rear nudity, female nudity and a woman in lingerie undressing.
  • The movie is about a group of friends that are tempted to go on an adventure into the jungle and got separated and, finally lost. The concept is not new, and the movie did not surprise us at all. Some of the scenes are confusing, and the action is sometimes lost. The actors give their best to stand out, but that is difficult due to the poor script. Daniel Radcliffe has an OK performance. We have seen better, but no doubt that is an incredible actor. Overall, it is a good movie to chill and enjoy the incredible landscapes.
  • Greg McLean, who's known for his vacation-gone-awry horror flicks like 'Wolf Creek' (and its sequel), 'Rogue' and 'The Darkness', wields the microphone to narrate the real-life account of a group of backpackers getting lost in the wilderness of the Amazon (in Bolivia). The tale is told from the perspective of Yossi (Daniel Radcliffe), an Israeli explorer hell bent on juicing more out of life than the usual routines. While on a backpacking expedition in South America, he befriends Marcus (Joel Jackson) and his photographer-acquaintance Kevin (Alex Russell), and happens to meet an Austrian gold-digger Karl (Thomas Kretschmann), who suggests a trip deep into the jungles of the Amazon in search of a near-extinct Indian tribe.

Justin Mongo's screenplay offers a slow-burn adventure that takes its own sweet time to peak. The shock value is added on by McLean who has just about mastered the art, by essence of his earlier ventures. Let's talk about the film's shortcomings first: the characters other than Yossi, are unfortunately not fleshed out well enough. Quite a lot is unraveled in the first half hour: the blokes meet, they make merry, and in no time, they're in the middle of an Amazonian voyage and emotional rifts have slowly begun to show. As we'd expect, things don't go according to plan (they never do, do they?) and the gang splits up. While Karl's character is shrouded in mystery, the supposed new friends of Yossi appear half-baked but are saved somewhat by the actors' pretty-decent portrayals.

Now, on to the positives: the film's recall capacity truly lies in Radcliffe's rendering of Yossi (with an accent), and the struggle (infection, desperation, starvation, isolation and of course, survival) he goes through for about three weeks. The hallucinatory episodes provide a little bit of comic relief in between terror-inducing segments. The point is made loud and clear: the jungle definitely isn't an easy place to get by. The obstacles lie in the form of the rainy weather, the unpredictable rapids, fungal/parasitic infection, attacks from wild fauna and low chances of rescue. McLean effectively engineers a scene where Yossi tries to protect an indigenous woman (who's later shown to be a figment of his imagination) - to remind us that the character, even during the most trying of times, hasn't lost his sense of empathy and compassion. This is again reinstated when he decides against killing a turtle for dinner.

'Jungle' assuredly rests on Radcliffe's shoulders almost throughout the entire third act and the 'Harry Potter' star's graph is certainly cresting, owing to a great selection of films - last year's 'Swiss Army Man' & 'Imperium'. Yossi's physical transformation is remarkably perturbing too: a clear indication that the actor's efforts managed to look on-point. The sequence where Yossi and Kevin get separated is adeptly shot: the bumpy ride through the rapids looked to be dangerously unsettling. Music by Johnny Klimek is more befitting a horror film than an adventure drama and at places, seems a bit out-of-sync. Cinematographer Stefan Duscio captures the chaos of the jungle in all its vicious beauty.

McLean and his writer should have utilized their first hour to build stronger, more relatable bonds between the protagonists instead of opting to showcase a rather straight-forward approach. Just look at 'The Lost City of Z', or '127 Hours' and we'll know why these films were able to resonate a lot better than 'Jungle'. A couple of body-horror scenes (as you'd imagine in a Greg McLean film) are bound to make the viewer squirm. However, 'Jungle' simply needed more shocks, more emotion and well-rounded character arcs.

Verdict: A moderately entertaining fare for lovers of survival- drama!
  • I knew nothing about this one, even the synopsis wasn't anything really eye-catching. I don't think I'd even heard anyone talk about this one yet. But, I noticed it was new on Amazon Prime, so I figured what the hell, might be worth checking out.

I'm happy to say I enjoyed the hell out of this. It's a very slow moving story, but very well shot, the acting is fantastic and it sucks you right in. Come to find out this is based on a true story, which makes it that much more interesting. Love it when you find something like this that you have zero expectations about and end up enjoying it. Daniel Radcliffe turns in a fantastic performance as Yossi. His performance really takes you through the emotions the character's going through. It was one of the biggest things that stood out to me in this film.

While the film does have some issues, it takes a bit to get going and I feel like some time could have been cut out of the last half of the film, it's damn solid overall. I'm glad I gave this one a chance. While this movie certainly won't be for everyone, if you're in the mood for a good story, give this one a chance and check it out.
    Well, this goes exactly where you expect it to go. After all, it is about 4 dimwitted buffoons who decide to demonstrate their stupidity in as clear a fashion as is possible and, oh what a shock, the inevitable happens. They get lost. In the jungle. Where they don't have a clue what they are doing nor how to get out. There ends my analysis of the story line. You can work out for yourselves what unfolds.

As for the film of this stupid tale, it's not badly made. Clearly there was a lot of effort put into ensuring the scenes attempted to recreate as much as possible the sense of being lost in such an environment. The scary beasts are portrayed as scary; the landscape is wild, the rivers fast flowing and treacherous. Yeah, yeah...we get it. It's not the place to go ... yawn...oh, excuse me...it's the er...uh- huh....jungle, yeah, got ya.

But, fret not. The flashback scenes add...no, hold on...let me think about them...I mean...when our 'hero' hallucinates...it's...yeah, no, wait...hold on a second...actually, you're right...what were they all about? Buffalo in fast food stores? Stunningly beautiful waitresses moving slowly to 1950's bee-bop... Amazingly western looking Amazon jungle women in $12.99 Walmart wigs and with boot polish make up? Ya know, now I think about it...ya lost me.

Still, back to the jungle. Daniel Radcliffe does his best, in fact, I'd say it's a great performance. Maybe his most dramatic role so far. I like Daniel Radcliffe...I thought 'Swiss Army Man' was great. And 'Horns' was a hoot. But here, the long shadow of 'why would anyone be this stupid?' keeps invading thoughts and it just all leads to a feeling of 'well, serves you right' and thus no investment in the character at all.

The supporting cast did their bit with a weak script based on a weak story. The square jawed chick bait guy was all huffy and puffy where needed. The 'I'm so full of life I could just explode' dude was OK until his boots began to pinch. After that, mercifully, the film dumped him. And the villain was not especially villainous. Just a guy whose hair looked great even in the humidity of the jungle. A lesson for us all to use conditioner regularly, I believe. And there's a woman in the film too. For a while. At the beginning. Why exactly, I don't know. But she is.

There is a laugh in the film, however - a big one, actually. It starts at the very beginning when the 'Based on a true story' image appears but you're not chuckling then. The real belly laugh comes at the end, when the film shows real photos of the four idiots this 'true' story revolves around. Yup, people this stupid really exist/ed. I walked out of the cinema thanking my lucky stars that I have my senses intact. Because, clearly, not a one of these clowns did.

All in all, kudos to Daniel Radcliffe. he does well here in an otherwise poorly dramatized version of a tale of 4 morons.
  • I liked this film. It wasn't great, and you can see the director directing, but it was pretty good. Everyone on screen did as they were paid to do. I wonder if they could've done with less CGI in the picture, though, as some of it seemed a little unreal.

The religious tie-ins at the end of the movie weren't expected, but taken from Yoshi's religious background and his point of view, it was believable. A little heavy handed, but believable.

Lastly, if you're a fan of horror, this movie might appeal to you as there are several horror tropes within in - eerie silence, darkness, things that go bump in the night, blood, stalkers, etc.
  • Well this one was a surprise, I went into the film knowing nothing except it takes place in a jungle and based on a true story . I was sceptical when I saw the name Daniel Radcliffe.

In his Mr Potter days he was a bit wooden, Again in the Woman in Black he was wooden but this worked for the film. There was a glimmer of something in Horns but he never really looked comfortable in front of the camera in any of these films. It always seemed acting was a bit difficult for him and he was just focused on delivering lines.

His best performance was Swiss Army Man but in that he was dead lol.

So imagine my surprise when he first appears on screen in "Jungle". Instantly its like a different actor entirely, he looked relaxed comfortable and charismatic. In this he plays Yossi an Israeli on an adventure. This required Radcliffe doing an Israeli accent which again I was worried about. In this case he nails it and it seemed this improved his performance.

Its Daniels performance here that keeps you connected !!

Anyway enough about Daniel.

The film is not fast paced but it is a horror. Part Psychological but also the real horrors we can find in nature and the wild, the Horrors of the jungle !!!

The Cinematography is brilliant, It looks like its all on location and they picked some beautiful spots to shoot in. There is a lot of beauty to be seen but that beauty can be deceiving as we soon discover.

While a lot of this film is within these natural surroundings there is a small about of CGI during certain parts of the film to create fantastical moments ( often due to Hallucinogenics etc ). These moments were done with great care and beauty however, there is a bit of art here.

There are also what I call dream sequences and while they were quirky they also highlighted the psychological moments Yossi was going through. I've never starved but I have gone Nil by mouth a few days due to surgery. Dreaming about food is highly frustrating.

Now this film may not be for everyone as at times its pacing can be slow as we get to take in the beautiful surroundings. At other times however it can keep you on the edge of your seat with tension !!! Something lacking a lot in many modern films.

The first half of the film also contains a few twists and turns that will keep you wondering where this is heading.... believe me its only head to bad things, Painful things, gross things, dangerous films and the biggest killer despair !!!!.

Sometimes the scariest things are real and what we have in nature all around us, adventures seem like a good idea but hold that thought...

8 out of 10 for me !
  • This is a true story of 4 men from different parts of the world, making the stupid, seemingly pointless decision to make a long, hard trek to a 'lost' part of the Amazon jungle.

Right off the bat, the film quickly introduces us to the 4 main characters of the film. Spending not more than a minute or two introducing us to each man and their backstories which to me is one fatal flaw of the film.

It's hard enough to empathise with 4 white guys with no real reason to trek the amazon with little to no training and experience, no gear, no real guide and no solid reason as to why the trek should have taken place at all. The reasons behind it were so flimsy, it was very hard to get behind them in the journey.

Instead of rooting for them, I found myself rooting for the jungle to take them out. It's like when a cat gets struck up a tree, you empathise with it and try to help it down even if its done it several times before because it knows no better. But imagine 4 grown men, getting stuck up a tree, waiting to be rescued, all you're thinking is "STOP GOING UP THERE!". That's exactly how I felt for our 4 protagonists. No real reason to go into such dangerous uncharted territory, got stuck, suffered loss and now a film to memorialise their... ill-advised, pointless and stupid journey? The fact that the film took a cursory look at the character's backstories, and showed mostly their shortcomings as human beings (impatient, unreasonable, lacking empathy for their own travelling partners) further added to the struggle I had to empathise with any of them.

As for the performances for our main characters, I didn't find any standout roles. Daniel Radcliffe's portrayal of Yossi was the most substantial in the film but his overall performance lent itself to the whole 'annoying little man' image, making one bad and stupid decision after another, disparaging his own travel mates for things they had absolutely no control over, basically overcompensating for his tiny stature with feigned machismo.

An alright film for background noise but nothing to shout home about. 5/10.
  • When I first heard of this movie I thought it sounded like a good lazy-Sunday-afternoon-movie, but it sure as hell was surprising!

It follows the true story of 3 friends who get lost in the jungle with a suspicious guide and it's show throw the perspective of Yossi (Daniel Radcliffe). The cast is actually very good but the movie is extremely dependent on Radcliffe's performance. And it is outstanding. One of the things I really liked is that the "bad guy" is never introduced as the "bad guy", there are no sound warning or even shot's the make you look at him in a suspicious way. In fact, even knowing that he was wanted for the authorities, nothing bad happens because of him. Everything could have happened the same way if the guy was the humblest person in the world.

The directing is also very enjoyable. McLean mix a lot of hallucinations with what is real happening, but he can do it in a way that you don't lose anything in the story or you don't get confused. It's based on true events and it's as simple as the events were. But it's also as dark as you can imagine for someone who is lost in the jungle for 3 weeks. Shooting in this kind of decors is never a easy thing, but the scenes are very well-thought and it really makes you feel like you are there and that you don't belong there, just like the main character.

The soundtrack could have been better and the cinematography is very good, but mostly because of the beauty of the places themselves.

In short, it's still a very good lazy-Sunday-afternoon-movie, but one of the best I've seen in a long time.
    I got my Selective Service Notification at age 18, was Field Artillery, then got switched to U.S. Army Special Forces Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol and U.S. Army Airborne Ranger, 4 Man L.R.R.P. Team spending Weeks in the Jungle without being detected by the Vietcong and North Vietnamese Army while performing Special Surveillance and Special Reconnaissance. Later as a U.S. Military Officer, I graduated from the U.S. Army's Jungle Warfare School when the School was still at Panama.

Rescue tips, Pillar of Smoke by Day, Pillar of Fire by Night, in other words gather as much wood as possible as if your life depends on that (it does), in the Day make a huge smoky fire, at Night make a huge flaming fire.

U.S. Army Issued Wool Boot Socks, Wool socks allow moisture to escape, Cotton keeps moisture in so you get "Immersion Foot". The towel we wore around the neck during the Save Democracy of South Vietnam War was to dry our feet, the towel dried out faster from body heat from around the neck.

Navigation in a Jungle (what we could not do in combat), line up two trees going in the direction you are going to, mark the trees by scraping the bark until white shows, the marks being squares or triangles as something that does not blend in and can be seen from a distance, kind of like sights on a rifle. You keep doing this to other trees before you get out of sight of the trees you previously marked. So that you are not walking in circles.

Banging Metal against Metal can be heard from longer distances than yelling. So can a cheap whistle. Two stream rocks or river rocks banged together makes a loud artificial clacking sound heard for a distance, use a larger flat rock and bang that with a smaller round or oval rock, face the flat side of the larger flat rock in the direction you want the sound to be heard, bang on the side facing you with the smaller rock.

Marking where you are at a river bank or stream, the object must be vertical and horizontal, like a cross, at eye level. Vertical only will blend in with trees. Add bright cloth if possible. Make a man sized or larger stick figure if possible. Make sure you scraped the bark off the branches until tan or white, use a sharp rock if you don't have a knife.

Walking "Stick" 6 feet to 7 feet tall, one end sharpened, 1.5 inches thick. Uses described in Boy Scout Manual. Two of these plus a poncho equals a two person carry emergency stretcher.

Non Combat, if lost, stay were you are, Extended Camping. Traps and Snares. Smoke meats into jerky to preserve, place food into bag, save some on your person and hoist rest in bag into High Tree Branches unless there are monkeys (that will steal your food). Eating snakes cut about 2 inches behind the head, so that you don't poison yourself.

As U.S. Army Special Forces L.R.R.P.s we usually carried. 4 Waterproof Bags (Cloth lined with a rubber coating) also used as flotation devices inside our Rucksacks. U.S. Army Issue Poncho used as a Shelter or stretcher. 120 Feet of Rope, of the U.S. Army Mountain Climbing Type, 6 foot lengths of same kind of rope. With lanyards attached U.S. Army Machete each, U.S. Military Aviator's Survival Knife, U.S. Army Issued Stainless Steel Pocket Knife, "Commo" pliers. Zippo Lighter with small can of lighter fluid (eventhough we could not use fire while on Mission). Two Weeks of Freeze Dried L.R.R.P. Rations, could be rationed to one month. Two Two Quart Collapsible Canteens with bottles of water purification tablets. Towel worn around neck. Parachute Cord. 1 PRC 77 and two extra batteries, one long antenna and one short antenna per Team. Compasses and maps. Stainless Steel Signal Mirror. Medic First Aid Kit with morphine syrettes. Camouflage Sticks and Insect Repellent. One roll of 100 Mile an Hour Tape (O.D. Duct Tape). U.S. Army Arm Sling worn around head like a bandana. Flashlight and extra batteries that we rarely used. Memo pad, pencil, U.S. Government Pen inside of plastic bag. We made our own metal bandaid box survival kit that included fishing line, fish hooks, sewing kit (could be used as sutures), waterproof matches, a whistle, a button compass, single edge razor blades (kept in a buttoned pocket). Issued U.S. Army mechanical wrist watches. 2 Identification tags worn around neck, 1 identification tag wrapped in black electrical tape laced into each boot lace. Packs of cigarettes not smoked, used like chewing tobacco as a stimulant. As many packets of instant coffee and sugar packets we could get from Combat Rations, usually popped into mouth not mixed with water while on the move (U.S. Army Ranger Training). Just before night we climbed up trees tied ourselves with the 6 foot lengths of rope, as there were apex predators at night. We Never carried a 100 pounds like the "Grunts" and U.S. Army Rangers, we moved fast, silently, and covered our tracks.
  • ajith-v-m27 October 2017
    You like movies about survival, Adventure, Friendship, what's it like to live for days in a jungle? Welcome to the Jungle of Bolivia and believe me, this is one ride you'd never forget.

Saw this movie today and I totally fell flat on my nose for how brilliantly it was made. The Cinematography, camera angles, music, direction etc.., everything is beyond par! I really felt like I was lost in a jungle, felt every pain, agony, despair and what not. It's so well made that you'd think you are right there with them! I've seen a lot of survival movies and without a shadow of doubt, this by far is the best in 2017.

If you're looking for mindless action, please ignore this. You really need to go skin deep into the dialogues, scenes and ambiance to get a feel of how brilliant this movie is. 10/10 for me!
  • A group of friends join a guide for a trek into the Bolivian jungle, searching for an Indian village. The men soon realize that the jungle is a difficult place to be. Jungle benefits from an incredible dramatic perfomance from Daniel Radcliffe, a talented cast and an amazing survival tale. Some scenes are brutal and breath taking like the ones with the ants, the snake and most of all the one with his head. As far as flaws go? That scene with the girl in the Jungle felt kinda rushed and not even needed to be in the film since it did nothing to the story also some of the dreams he had were kinda cheesy like the Casino or the Burger but some others like his relationship with his parents or his religion was something that was needed and adapted him as a character. Overall an amazing and interesting survival film with Radcliffe at his best. (9.5/10)
  • Nothing bad technically speaking about the movie, except for the script, the characters, and the story itself. I believe the movie is important and real, because like it or not, there are thousands of bored gringos who are desperate for 'adventures' and think they're gonna be the next indiana jones or something and decide to trek up to the Amazon, searching for undiscovered species, dreaming of meeting indians and fighting jaguars. Moneyfull ex-soldiers who believe will find god drinking yagé, and goldenspooned blondies who wanna snap a selfie with an alligator. I've met people like that, several times, and it is always stupid. It so stupid that you might die, shamefully; or because it is so stupid, that if you decide to tell your story to anybody, it will sound like pure crap, like this movie.
    Based on a true story that takes place in 1981 Bolivia. Yossi Ghinsberg (Daniel Radcliffe) is a seasoned back-packer hitting the known trails in Bolivia with fellow hikers. He meets Karl (Thomas Kretschmann) who offers him a dream hike into virgin territory with a chance to pan for gold and meet an undiscovered tribe. Yossi and his two friends go on a long hike that takes its toll on the hikers. They end up getting separated and the last part of the film is Yossi meandering through the jungle with film makers trying to hold our interest with hallucinations. Yes, there was a scene where parseltongue would have helped.

Daniel's acting ability has come a long way, playing an Israeli in a convincing manner. I wish the film had been about 10 minutes shorter as I grew bored with Yossi vs the jungle scenes.

Guide: No swearing or sex. Brief nudity?
  • I always love these adventure movies. These movies always produce a well plot with very much thrills. like all those this movie looked simply an adventure drama at first when some friend hired a guide to look for a village in jungle. These scenes are very much familiar and shows the traditional nature of the movie.The friends goes into the jungle and their journey begins with a guide. Like other movies they start it with lot of funs and enjoyed the jungle with their interest.

But soon the stage changes with some dramatic actions and twists.This is the point i first found some curiosity in my mind and i really gave attention to it. The next one hour the movie delivered me many suspenses and violences and i was attracted towards it like a iron in a magnet. Suddenly lot of things were happening in the jungle which was so far very friendly and enjoyable. Suddenly it became ferocious..it started hunting them..it started to make suspicious movements..it Started to show the true colour of the movie...

This portion along with the end is very good and u will enjoy. But the start a bit slow and ordinary. Actors are smart and they have done well. But the direction of it is a bit gloomy i think.There was many corner of improving that. Apart from these complaints the movie is a good one.
  • It's bad. Really bad. The jungle looks like the local botanical garden (almost always shot from ground level with the camera pointed up so you can't see the concrete paths). Really appalling acting from Potter. Terrible script. I guess the point is to show morons getting into trouble, but why extend the moron theme to story, script, photography, direction, location, cast, etc. Also ridiculously cliché packed. Stay well away unless it's this or the latest Spiderman under pain of death.
  • sssachin2621 October 2017
    As opposed to Daniel's performance in Swiss Army Man, this spectacular journey, which is based on true events, shows a completely different side of Radcliffe. I feel that after the Harry Potter days, Daniel never really showed what he is capable of. No offense to his skills, they are indeed good, but his true measure can be seen in this film.

Different accent, amazing delivery, perfect looks & makeup, etc. So yes, this is indeed the best performance of Daniel since HF in terms of performance.

The cinematography is epic. The scenes were spectacular & the sites chosen for this journey were exactly what was needed. And all that coupled with the music gives the perfect experience. The blend was amazing!

And as the story is based on real events, I was skeptical as to how good it would turn out as a movie but I must say, every scene was justice to the story. Nothing seems out of the way and seems legit. And apart from Daniel, other actors too are incredible.

So the movie won't let you down & keep you hooked all the way till the end. I gave it an 8 not because I felt incomplete but because it just felt different compared to all the fictional stories I have seen. You won't experience the thrill as in Blood Diamond or Shutter Island but you won't be disappointed either!
  • mozmugo20 October 2017
    I loved this movie. The acting is magnificent, the cinematography is astounding. You really feel like you're there in the scenes and experiencing it along with the actors. You never get hit with the impression that anyone is forcing it. It is a masterfully told adventure survival story.

I have watched way too many movies in life to count, seen all the sad scenes and whatnot; this is the first movie in my life to actually bring tears to my eyes.

Should you watch it? Yes you should.
  • If you love trekking and dream of losing yourself in the depths of the nature, then this movie is a great adventure for you! This movie takes you in the deepest corner of the jungle where you meet nature at its best form.

Also, it shows how fabulous and dangerous the nature can be at the same time.

And Mr Radcliffe, ow brother! He performs tremendous at very challenging situations! His acting was a masterpiece in this movie.

Overall, if your heart is adventurous, you will definitely enjoy it.
  • I'm not much for writing reviews, have never been a fan of the Harry Potter series or Daniel Radcliffe in particular, but after having just finished the movie, I can't help but want to give it its due. Firstly, it's beautiful...its gorgeously shot in lush environments and once the tale starts to take hold, its one of those movies that will suck you in and hold you tight. The only thing that broke it for me was the inevitable intermittent thought when watching such an engaging movie - how glad you are that you decided to check it out. Its that good.

Another reviewer described it as a little slow here and there, which might be true for some, but I don't think the film would have near the impact it did were it done any other way. Having the narrative give you time to soak up a moment is key to compelling cinema; knowing when and where to linger for effect is an indicator of good story telling and what gives a movie depth. And IMO should be lauded here as it was done very well.

Man this is a good movie. You know that to be the case when it takes you a few moments to readjust to your surroundings once its ended! Great acting from Radcliffe, the guy brought me to tears at on point and his well written character was one the viewer won't be able to help but empathize with.

Good job guys, a beautiful (if deadly) world to escape into for a bit and a unique story that was well worth the retelling...wish more films like this were made these days.
  • Oh, how I wish an A-Level screenwriter and director worked on this! It would have been actually worth watching. Acting is marginal. Harry Potter should stick to — Harry Potter. He tries hard, and it shows. I need 5 Lines for a review. Not sure why. Being succinct shouldn't be a bad thing.
  • This movie is such a tragedy..Not one you can see that the guy made fire,or catch something to cook,or boiling watter for drink.not ones! he got this nasty wounds on his feet and still he walks around,climbing and everything.No shellter made,on rain all night in a cold jungle?? Just walking around all movie in insanity and like that for 4 weeks?? He will die in second day like that so.. Come on guys!! Really? Thru story and good movie? Give me a break...