• I love this show. The story is gripping and thrilling to watch unfold. But what's really amazing is the art of the show. The filming, choreography, wardrobes, lighting, music, everything is stunning. The fight scenes are always a highlight, always suspenseful, always beautiful to watch... Well, except the gore that inevitably happens but you still cannot tear your eyes from it. Sparring and dancing are merged into one. Words cannot do the filming justice, you just have to experience it.
  • I love this show. Don't see why they have to stop at Season 3 and keep the audience in suspense. It has a combination of martial arts, love and journey for peace together all for the one cause for peace. I would encourage more promotion and continuation of more seasons. I give it a ten star all the way around.
  • djmotiv17 November 2015
    I get that people want this to be entirely believable and that aspects, such as the lack of guns in a world where other machines exist, appears to be hard to fathom - but think of all the other movies that have unbelievable components - such as why does Obe Wan wear a raggedy robe in a time when they can fly through space? He could still wear a robe, but did it have to look like a potato sack? How can Batman really compete with Superman, seriously?

Anyway the mix of martial arts with supernatural and post- apocalyptic themes would make most people think this is a horrible combination for a TV series ... but not if you are a fan of old Chinese martial arts movies.

The fight scenes in this movie are incredible considering it is made for television. The acting isn't absolutely stunning, but acting never was in many of those Chinese movies and it was never meant to be. The main characters Danny Wu and Martin Csokas both do a satisfactory job in their roles. Emily Beecham's portrayal of the Widow has grown on me and she looks really impressive in some of the fight scenes.

Some of the supporting actors, particularly the fighters, I admit leave a little to be desired acting wise, but generally ... you don't want them to do much more than lose.

I believe if you over think the reality of this TV series, you may miss some of the good aspects of it, but admittedly this type of show isn't for everyone.

Having just watched the first season, I loved the finale and am eagerly looking forward to seeing more.
  • You know the moment you start watching that some series are going to attract something of a cult following. My suspicion is, Into the Badlands, is one such series.

Into the Badlands takes already interesting elements from 19th century Southern USA, cyberpunk, Gung (Kung) Fu and Samurai/Western action series, mystical and medieval epics and drops the whole fruit salad of seemingly incompatible concepts, into the creative blender.

The resulting series is an elaborate and flamboyant cocktail, that works in spite of itself. The primary reason it works, is all these cultural icons are familiar. The futuristic setting is something of an anachronism, reminiscent of any 19th century Southern plantation. Lurid splendor and vice, gained from the oppressive toil of poppy field workers called cogs(cogs in a wheel), who are little better than slaves.

Sitting alongside this, is a little Mad Max-ian magic in terms of machines and vehicles that populate this world. Technology, resurrected from a whispered past that has seemingly been and gone but is not entirely forgotten.

That familiarity contrasts another, the transplanted martial arts arena, reminiscent of classic films like Enter the Dragon, mixed with a dash of Gladiator, a little mysticism and any medieval epic you care to name.

The result is a highly imaginative, visually luxurious, mesmerizing watch, thats instantly engaging and very enjoyable. Provided, that is, you don't over think things and accept this creative work for what it is. I have been addicted from episode one and plan to keep watching. Eight out of ten from me.
  • The love child of Mad Max and Ip Man mixed with an old school Western. This show is nothing like anything else, but there's something for everyone.

I'm not really a fan of steam punk, but this is very well done. High production value and slick choreography.
  • Gretel100617 November 2015
    Absolutely amazing! I am just blown away by the storyline, the fighting, the beauty, the colors, and the creativity.

I saw one reviewer wrote about it being too unbelievable and that the actors look too perfect. I don't think that person quite understands the whole concept. The series is supposed to be like that. The colors are supposed to be incongruous to the depravity of the time and supposed to dazzle the eye.

I think the acting is great! I think that some of the actors, like the Barron and his son, are supposed to be over the top just like the colors are. I thoroughly enjoyed the premier episode and in fact, watched it a second time. I am mesmerized by it all.

Update after watching season 1: My affinity for the show only grew. I felt connected with the characters and naturally am concerned about their futures. As the season went on the stories of the "villians" were more flushed out which gave some insight into their reasonings and made them more relatable.

I am looking forward for season 2.
  • If you loved Bruce Lee, the old TV series Kung Fu, The Matrix, Kill Bill, Road Warrior, The Raid: Redemption and untold others I'm probably forgetting, then you'll love the genre mashup that is "Into the Badlands." I thought the ads were boring and redundant during episodes of The Walking Dead, but after seeing the first two episodes, it's pure, epic TV. Oh, and best of all, given the times, they banned guns in this futuristic post-apocalyptic society so everybody is highly trained with knives and swords. Yeah, the story is a bit vague and simple, but with with an Asian in the lead role, cinema-level fight scenes, what's not to love?
  • I rarely watch shows like this, but from the first episode I was hooked! I just watched the season finale and already can't wait for the next season. AMC would be crazy not to renew this show, it has GREAT potential! This was an excellent substitute for The Walking Dead. I have to say Into the Badlands is tied with TWD as my favorite!

I love all of the characters including the bad guys! Sunny steals the show as a lethal killer with a heart of gold. Quite often you can't make up your mind whether you like Quinn or hate him and the same goes for the Baroness, one minute she is a witch, the next you can't help but sympathize with her. Veil, MK, Jade, and all the rest do a great job in their parts. Overall a really well written show.

AMC PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW!! We want more!!!
  • In this current climate of book and comic book adaptations, we're getting used to seeing well-loved characters and stories being brought to life (with admittedly varying results) on the big and small screens. While this is all fine and good, it's a little sad to think that there's been very little in the way of completely original movies or TV shows in recent times.

Thankfully, shows like 'Enter the Badlands' come along every now and then to remind us that there are still some wildly creative and ambitious folks out there in the industry that are intent on unleashing their creations on an unsuspecting public. And it would appear that 'Enter the Badlands' came completely out of the blue as, despite being on many geek TV/comic/gaming forums and groups, I'd not heard a single thing about the show until one of my colleagues at work started raving about it and how amazing it was.

After watching the opening scene on the first episode, I had to pick up my jaw from the floor. Not only was this one of the prettiest, most visually arresting shows I'd ever seen, it was clearly going to be incredibly entertaining. It opens, you see, with one of the finest fight scenes I've ever seen on a TV show - if you think along the lines of the sublime sword-based fight scenes in 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon', that should give you some idea of what the opening brawl of 'Enter the Badlands' is like, but with some eye- watering, bone-crunching and bloody slaughtering of bad guys added into the mix.

But this show isn't all about the fighting. Well, OK, it is really but thankfully it's backed up with an intriguing plot and some excellent acting performances. It's difficult to wade into the story without giving too much away, but the show appears to be set in a post-apocalyptic world (I think?) and in an indeterminate part of the world that is ruled over by five 'barons' who are in a power struggle over the regional resources. That's about all I want to give away in terms of plot!

I've only watched the first three episodes so far, but I'm absolutely convinced that this is definitely one of the best new TV shows I've seen since... Well, Marvel's Daredevil, to be honest! But at least that in itself should speak volumes about the quality of this show.

I can't wait to see more!!
  • All I can say is WOW! This show might not be for everyone - it has some of the best martial arts fighting scenes I've seen and it is really violent. In a way, the show resembles a sort of Game of Thrones / Vikings hybrid - but totally different! The acting is just spot on and the story is very intriguing. I cannot wait to see more! I've only watched 3 episodes and I really wish I could binge watch the rest. The 1st season only has 6 episodes which is a major bummer. The trailer for this show doesn't do it justice. The pace of the show is perfect and I never felt the need to skip scenes, which I often do with long, drawn out shows.

I don't write reviews very often, but this show deserved one!
  • One of my favourite shows of all time I can't believe they're getting rid of it as it goes from strength to strength. The last season ended perfectly to set up for a game changing 4th season that I absolutely need to see. I pray somebody saves this great program.
  • Harun_Karali16 November 2015
    Strong start to the season. The story is fluent and is already starting to build a steady pace. It's nice to see that producers found some good writers for a show. Sunny is a Clipper. A lethal killing machine, He is loyal to one of the five barons, his duty is to protect and serve. But he finds himself at a crossroad when a token of his past returns to his life, He must decide between his duties and his instincts. What was interesting was the show decided to focus on the fort, Only showing us a glimpse of the nightmare that is the badlands.

I want to mention this isn't a show that everyone will enjoy, It is pretty gruesome, It depends on your palate, Personally I enjoyed it.

Grade: B+
  • kasialexander14 December 2015
    This is a fantastic new series, and definitely binge-worthy!! Love the low-tech aspects-old weapons, swords, etc. Keep it coming! The detail on the costuming is amazing. Loved the leatherwork. The only thing missing is mail - that would work great with the period pieces and the swordplay. I found the characters to be well developed and relatable, with a good blend of traits that you both love and hate in each character. Keeps you wondering who's going to turn out to be good guys and bad guys. Great element to the plot! The location scenes were beautiful and appropriate, loved the mansions that looked like old Southern plantation settings. It worked great with Quinn's poppy plantation. It was refreshing to see the polyamorous aspects of the story, with Quinn's partners learning to deal with each other. Sad to see there was only one more episode this season. Hope it continues for another season (or twenty)!
  • elenatonner3 May 2019
    The best tv show of nowadays. The most creative, beautifully executed, costumes, make up, everything on point. Story and emotions feel very real, strong connection between the characters. Music and sound absolutely amazing. Well done to everyone who made it!
  • I really enjoy the plot of the show, but I find the fight scenes difficult to tolerate. They're over the top, camera angles are horrendous, and they just go on forever. You know what's going to happen, all the bad guys will get their limbs chopped off and the heroes will come out on top. So it's a bit of a yawn as you wait for it to play out every time. Also the laws of physics seem to temporarily go out the window. If you fast forward through the fight scenes, it's watchable and the overall story is pretty enjoyable. Great cinematic too.
  • Megan-Nicole3 April 2019
    Amazing
    What a great adventure...I want the back stories on everyone, there is so much more to tell!
  • This show has a great overall storyline, and the marital arts action makes for the most perfect icing on a cake. The show appeals to lovers of feudal, post-apocalyptic, story plots - while also drawing in those who love entertaining martial arts action. What is most to be liked, I believe, is that it is most unlike most other cookie cutter formula hospital and cop action dramas on TV. The only oddities in the plot line are: a) that 'the boy' needs to get cut before unleashing his hidden power; and that, after only a handful of episodes, b) one of the most interesting characters 'the baron (Quinn)' has been diagnosed with some terminal brain tumor. Other than that, I enjoy the series very much - as much - if not more than The Walking Dead. Can't wait to Watch future ITB episodes!
  • I watched season 1 of this show back when AMC stuffed it between The Walking Dead and Talking Dead. It held my interest, but it could've been better.

Into the Badlands overall is a decent show. The best parts of it being the action and set pieces in it. It is just a fun show, turn your brain off and enjoy.

Nowadays, seeing as there are so many shows out there, I've admittedly only seen the first season. The ending of the first season alone I found to be an acceptable ending and I'm not sure if I'll go back and watch the following seasons at a later date. Having at least seen one season though, I think a show like this knows what it wants to be and is more fun overall than the comparable Game of Thrones, which tries to be serious, yet has the focus on action sequences similar to the Transformers franchise. I prefer Into the Badlands slightly, as it was more fun and entertaining viewing for me.

My Rating: 7.25/10
  • Yes I know the title headline sounds Insane. I will start by saying that I don't often review things anymore. I used to a lot. I had to take the time to review this though. I just finished Binge-Watching the first two seasons and they were Absolute Masterpieces. I will keep it short and sweet. The story is about a man named Sunny who is a Clipper who is basically a glorified mercenary. The cast are all fantastic though my only gripe for me is that they try to make the women of the show portray men as savages and animals and yet at every turn they're lying, manipulating and being traitors but besides that everyone is Awesome. The action is where this show really shines. I'm not going to front this has the GREATEST fight choreography and blood effects I have seen on cable television in years and I would say it even rivals that of premium networks like Cinemax. Insane stunts and a stupendous amount of violence which I love. The environments where it's shot and some of the set-pieces are a Marvel to witness. I pray that they keep this show running long after S3 especially if they are on like S9 of TWD which I feel should have ended a few seasons ago but either way this show is a MUST-WATCH for anyone who loves martial arts and action. I will say though there are some very mature themes being a post-apocalyptic show and all but that goes without saying. Support this show though for real. You won't be disappointed. The first season starts off a tad slow in the first few episodes but keep watching it.
  • The series itself is well choreographed, nice action scenes and locations, with a few barons duking it out in a "Mad Max" sense, after a huge war has taken place, which in it's case made mankind to either abandon all weapons or destroy them, so the only way to fight now is with melee weapons and close combat.

The first thing that came to mind was "Dune" the barons, the different factions the red clothed clippers that the main character "Wu" is in, is like the Harkonnen, i can just assume he will leave this baron or the real baron dies and his son with his destructive mind takes over the show, starting wars with the other barons, which i bet is either "Green, blue" etc just a hunch, even thou in this first episode with the widow, her soldiers were dressed in black "Funeral" and had Bowler hats. Cool show thou keep it up.
    But why bother to storm the brains a little more when you can resume to manipulate viewers with loads of cliché. Everyone is friend with each other, everyone betrays each other everyone is enemy with each other, so on and so forth. Writers block I guess. It had potential, but they screwed it up beyond repairs. Kill whoever they consider will manipulate viewers, resurrect whom they think will manipulate viewers, until there will be viewers no more. At the moment looks like they have no idea what to do with the show anymore. Now someone is powerful beyond imagination, next they fall due to some little illogic coincidental incident, action is stale, tables turn so often that I had no idea what am I watching. Or what's going on. They reduced an immersive world to some annoying characters. Shame.
    There are bad (wo)men and there are good (wo)men, and then they fight, and struggle with how they must fight, some are greedy, some are righteous and they give a lot of stern looks and grimaces with the choices on how they have to fight... yeah it is that type of show.... the type of show an 8-year-old loves.... but they can't watch this show for all of the gratuitous violence.

I blame Marvel for this, for dumbing down and serving us a lot of meaningless action based shows now, I really do blame Marvel for so many copycats. If you get what I am saying, you will understand the problem of this show. If you love Marvel and think they tell a good story and develop it well on TV... well skip the rest of this review because we live in different worlds.

I had high hopes for Alfred Gough and Miles Millar, I mean I appreciated Smallville for the first 4 or 5 seasons for what it was - balanced cheese served with meaningful moments and a good story with characters you love and hate, with a setting you wished you were in. But this is just terrible. Painfully simple plot, zero character development, meaningless choices were made for their world creation that has a lot of flaws.

So many plot holes and just odd choices by characters and world creators you have to think they wanted to be canceled... but no, AMC was like "we will never cancel this show to punish your awful ideas!"

I was hoping for something gnawing and hyper-real to replace Banshee... a show that may be the last deeper drama/action show for awhile until we can cleanse the plague that is Marvel boy-story-telling syndrome.
    *spoiler*

Last episode messed up entire show in my opinion. The fight with Quinn, his master plan and everything related to it just seemed illogical, undeveloped and the tragedy that came from it just seemed more tragic because the circumstances leading to it were very annoying.

HOW MANY TIMES DOES QUINN NEED TO COME BACK UP FROM A FATAL WOUND BEFORE SUNNY FINALLY CHECKS HE IS DEAD FOR CERTAIN ?!?!?!?

Well, we will never know, because Veil is the one who made sure he died, together with her.

I could get on-board that she had to die in the last episode, but in a more thoughtful way, other than killing herself to kill a guy who should've been dead 3 times by that point.

I've followed this show from the moment it came out. Even though most of fight scenes in season 2 were beyond fantasy, that was never a problem for me, as I have embraced that world and everything it had to offer.

I would've rated this show 8-9 BEFORE the last episode, however, after watching it, it gets no more than a 5 from me.

Such a shame, really....
  • Whether or not this is your cup of tea depends on your expectations.

If you are a Mad Max junkie, you are going to be in heaven.

If you like Kung Fu and WuShu then you are going to have to patiently sit through some so-so melodrama to get to the fight scenes. Which are pretty good. (Don't laugh -- an entire generation did this with Carradine's KUNG FU in the 70s)

If you like BOTH a solid story AND martial arts (like Forbidden Kingdom, for example, one of the best films of that genre) you may be disappointed.

If you remember the superb work that Gough and Milar did with Smallville (the first few seasons were polished gems, arguably the best work ever done with the DC franchise) you will be very very very disappointed.

So, bottom line, you get from the party what you bring to the party.
  • ratko-parenta21 April 2018
    I really don't know why this TV show is not in range of the best shows ever. Great story, absolutely great fight scenes, beautiful landscapes, great production. Very unusual and unique in many ways. I recommend it to all of you, especially people who loves futuristic, apocalyptic story line with lots of turns.