User Reviews (7)

• BEWARE OF FALSE REVIEWS & REVIEWERS. SOME REVIEWERS HAVE ONLY ONE REVIEW TO THEIR NAME. NOW WHEN ITS A POSITIVE REVIEW THAT TELLS ME THEY WERE INVOLVED WITH THE MOVIE. IF ITS A NEGATIVE REVIEW THEN THEY MIGHT HAVE A GRUDGE AGAINST THE FILM . NOW I HAVE REVIEWED OVER 200 HOLIDAY FILMS. I HAVE NO AGENDA.

A small-time con man ordered by his parole officer to take a job as a department store Santa promises to reunite a young boy's estranged parents.

What is nice about this film is that it is full of tiny surprises. All of them are nice surprises. Its a film that (mostly) avoids the trappings of Christmas Theme Movies.

The greatest thing about this film is the fact it shows that everyone has "Value". This film may not be 100% original however its 100% enjoyable and worth watching.

So far this year this is my top pick.
  • The story revolves around con artist Nick DeMarco (Barry Watson) who is forced to take a Santa job at a department store (sound familiar?) after getting out of jail. During his Santa stint, he promises a kid that he (Santa) will bring his estranged parents back together by Christmas. Nick gets chastised for making the promise and he has to use all of his con-artist skills to make good on Santa's word. Along the way he falls in love with the kid's mom (Melissa Sagemiller). It sounds like the typical rom-com formula Christmas storyline¬Ö..but it's not.

Don't let the first 15-ish minutes of the movie fool you. It's after Nick/Santa makes the promise to the kid that the movie takes a sharp turn from lame comedy to drama and becomes something very different. If you make it to this point in the movie, it will unfold as a serious story about a con finding self-redemption through the rebuilding of a broken family.
    On one hand, the movie has humor and 90s nostalgia (the movie's leads are Melissa Joan Hart from Clarissa Explains It All and Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Barry Watson from 7th Heaven, Jaleel White from Family Matters and the Sonic the Hedgehog anime, and Scott Grimes from Party of Five). Ruth even says this deliciously 90s line: "Your eyes are as bloodshot as Courtney Love on a Sunday morning." On the other hand, it has a great plot and character development. The movie is fun and meaningful without being depressing. All in all, it's kind of like watching a really good episode of Touched By An Angel. Plus, you get to see Clarissa and Urkle like-liking each other, creating the ship you never knew you shipped.
  • The first temptation was to define the film as really great. A predictable reaction when you rediscover actors as Barry Watson or Melissa Joan Hart , each performer for series of your youth. Or for the admirable work of Wendy Williams. Or the proposed bizarre relation between a jail director and his "guests". In same measure, the story is so unrealistic than it becomes...charming. And it reminds, a little a good slice of Charles Dickens. But the lead virtue is result of the courage to be more than a nice Christmas film. To be a lovely film about family, duty and faith. And that defines it, real, as a great film.
  • When Nick gets out of jail for good behavior, he is forced to take a job at the mall, dressed up as Santa. As he hastily promises a little boy that his parents will get back together before Christmas, his sister, his conscience and a weird pastor from a local church make him do his best in order to fulfill the boy's wish.

It's a charming Christmas movie which presents a man who only cares about himself and due to circumstance, is about to get on a path of righteousness. We follow him as he struggles to infiltrate into the lives of the boy's parents in his attempt of getting them back together. But will it be enough?

The story depicted is quite interesting. It has depth, complexity and keeps interest. It's mostly unpredictable and it manages to keep suspense until the end. The characters are OK, well described and mostly pleasant to watch. My only complaint here would be the easiness with which most problems are solved. I understand that it is a family movie, but you should at least try to make them seem a bit more realistic, especially when talking about multiple events which have a big impact, but are resolved in a blink of an eye. As a plus though, I was pleasantly surprised by the "surprise" provided by the ending, although a bit superficially treated.

The winter atmosphere together with the characters which compose the story provide a very good time. You get amusement, you get a bit of drama, you also get emotion and it all ends up nicely. I won't say that it's spectacular or something, but it's a very good watch, especially around holidays.
  • I came across this movie by accident just looking for Christmas movies to watch, and my standards were low just because I've seen sooo many Hallmark/TV Christmas movies that are painfully over-acted with surface level plots, but I seen Jalleel White and Mellissa Joan Hart so I just played it.

From beginning to end I was hooked into the storyline that was so refreshing and actually very funny. Melissa Joan Hart was great, as was the other cast. This was a Christmas movie that actually had substance, and the character development with the main character was so well done. By the end of the movie I was grinning because it was so refreshing and enjoyable to watch. A Christmas movie well done
  • Jackbv12331 December 2017
    This is a bit of an unusual story for Christmas. It's not about snowmen and trees and skating. It is about two men who try to straighten out their lives as they help each other, one more than the other.

The con man is slick, but he comes to realize that his lies hurt people, especially the one he told a little boy.

It's not a typical romance story and in addition to that it takes a few turns along the way. The acting is OK. There's a few good humorous moments but also some drama.

Try this movie for something different in the way of a Christmas story.