Louis Drax is an accident-prone nine year old. Having endured eight near-death accidents throughout his life, according to cat years, he would be on his last and is fully aware that he may never grow up before his time comes to an end. With this knowledge and history behind him, he finds himself in a coma after falling off the edge of a cliff, and the circumstances of which are left a vague mystery to be uncovered, including the related disappearance of his father. Was it an accident? Or was it something more? Amidst all this, his doctor becomes entranced with his mother, despite mysterious warnings to the contrary, and he finds himself in an unconscious journey of discovery with a creepy creature.

Tonally the movie is all over the place, which can make it feel a little uneven, but at the same time I felt it kind of worked. The movie opens with a montage of Louis' life told from a black comedy angle. Obviously what happens to him isn't exactly nice, but it's played for laughs. If you don't like black comedy, this opening sequence will turn you off immediately. This soon gives way to melancholy when the tragedy unfolds, which is about as much of a stark contrast as you can get. There's also some freakier moments revolving around the creature, a typically romantic tone between Pascal and Natalie, and in it's penultimate moments it shifts more into thriller territory. However, I never felt this was jarring at all. Every shift in tone suited the scenes perfectly, and evolved organically from one to the other.

It's central driving force is the mystery surrounding the circumstances of his fall, which inevitably culminates in a twist or two as the movie's finale approaches. The big twist isn't so much of a twist as it is a slow evolution over the course of the movie. It's not just signposted, it's actively developed as we go along and learn more and more about the characters and their own stories. The way this all comes to light can be a little hard to swallow, and doesn't take the time to explain itself, namely telepathy and the ability to talk to the dead. This is where the more fantastical elements of the movie come to the forefront, but due to the various shifts in tones, I didn't find this too much of a leap. It was obviously not attempting to be even remotely realistic. I just wish they gave some kind of explanation for it rather than just briskly moving on. There is another minor twist as well though, and I'll confess that did throw me for a loop, but I won't spoil that.

Aiden Longworth, Jamie Dornan, and Sarah Gadon do really well in their major roles, without particularly breaking any new ground. Dornan in particular seems a bit bland in most of his appearances, but I'm not sure whether that's down to him or what he was given to work with. It wasn't too much of a distraction either way. However the real stars are some of the more supporting actors. Oliver Platt and Barbara Hershey really tear up their limited screen time as Dr. Perez and Louis' grandmother respectively. And of course Aaron Paul does what he does best. The chemistry he shares with Longworth goes a long way to developing their father-son relationship and leads to one of the movie's most heartbreaking scenes. Again though, I couldn't shake the feeling that Paul was cast for his ability to cry on demand. I'm not saying it's a bad thing; I love seeing Aaron Paul cry in movies, as he's always so genuine with it, but I fear he's getting a little typecast and may be relying on it too much (not in this movie, just in general).

The big thing that drew me to the movie in the first place though was the visual quality, and while it's not quite as I expected, I can't say that I'm disappointed. Almost the entire movie is bathed in a dreamy glow, both the moments in dream or flashback, and the current events. It generally gave a very ethereal quality to everything. There was some differentiation between dreams/flashbacks and real life though and that was largely thanks to the colour pallet, particularly early on. Louis' happier moments are awash with golds and reds and other warm colours, while the more melancholic present day scenes had a cold, blue hue. The scenes with the creature also seemed to have a subtle hint of green to them as well.

Louis Drax is certain to be another one of those movies I put on the pile of 'movies I love that everyone else hates', but I don't care. It's story is intriguing with interesting developments as it goes along, despite it's missteps and shifts in tone, the character work is a good attempt even if it doesn't always land the mark, and it's visual appearance is a feast for the eyes even if it isn't particularly innovative or creative. I give Louis Drax a very good 8/10, but also acknowledge it's not a movie that will suit everyone's tastes. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I was also open to and prepared for something a bit off-the-wall.
  • kz917-122 May 2017
    I was not expecting to like this film, but it wasn't actually that bad. I was intrigued by the promis of Jamie Dornan and Aaron Paul. Then upon viewing I still can't place where I know Sarah Gadon from, but she was fantastic. Intrigue, Murder and a weird kid makes for an entertaining movie!
  • 'The 9th Life Of Louis Drax' is the latest film directed by Alexandre Aja, who is most known for his 'The Hills Have Eyes' remake and the recent Daniel Radcliffe vehicle 'Horns'. This movie is fairly hard to describe, as it is a mixture of several genres that features a few twists and turns that I don't want to spoil. The basics of the plot revolves around the eponymous Louis Drax, a nine year-old boy who suffers a near-fatal fall and is left in a coma, and the doctor assigned to his case. I really liked it, despite the fact that it is flawed and by no means perfect, so I can't understand the relatively negative critical reception; I found it to be unique, subversive, interesting and emotionally-powerful.

The flick does wildly fluctuate in tone throughout its run-time, a flaw which does lend it some unpredictability and therefore can sometimes work to its advantage. One moment it is light and comedic, the next it is dark and gloomy; it is at times a comedy, a quirky indie-film, a family drama, a surrealist fantasy, a mystery 'whodunit', a more traditional horror and a psychological thriller. I found this amalgamation of genres to be intriguing, as I was never quite sure where the story was going to go. I also mostly appreciated the tonal shifts which, aside from sometimes feeling clumsy and out-of-place, made for a subversive yet cohesive piece that was much more unique than it may first have seemed. What doesn't work to the film's advantage however, is its constant changes in perspective. These were often jarring and felt undisciplined; it is hard to determine who the protagonist is, Louis Drax or Doctor Pascal. The fact that the story flipped between their two perspectives is fine, but the execution is fumbling and chaotic at best – the two aren't split equally, and thus it begins to seem out-of-place when the swap happens. In the same vein, some of the surreal elements bleed a little too closely into the portrayed reality – it is sometimes unclear what is fantastical and what is real. This is isn't a huge issue, and it often works to the flick's advantage, but can feel inconsistent in its portrayal and almost 'cheats' the audience at points.

The final act relies on a central conceit that requires quite a big leap in logic, leading to an aftertaste of mild confusion. I understand where they were coming from, a number of little details earlier in the picture attempted to establish it, but it isn't set up properly and becomes a little unbelievable. In the moment it works though and I thought it was a nice way of cleaning things up, I just wish they had planted the seed for it better so that it is easier to get on-board with. The actual conclusion feels a little flat in places, too, with some specific revelations not having the impact they should; these plot-lines could've done with a little extra moment to compound and punctuate them properly. Other than those issues, I found all of the twists and turns to work well; some of them were more expected than others, but all of them felt plausible and earned. The film does a good job of making sense to both a first and second time viewer, with scenes showing just enough to perpetuate the 'red herrings' the first time but still remain competent the second once the whole picture has been revealed. By the time the final act rolled around, I'll admit I was gripped and on the edge of my seat – I truly wanted to know what was going to happen. When the revelations are made, I thought that they were mostly satisfying and appropriately surprising – aside from the couple of issues with the consequences not being 'driven home' fully.

The performances are all good, though Jamie Dornan's character can sometimes be quite boring and is played very by-the-numbers. Oliver Platt, Sarah Gadon and Aiden Longworth are all notably great too, while Aaron Paul is downright fantastic in a complex role. A scene towards the end of the flick nearly brought me to tears, it was incredibly emotional and helped by Paul's perfect performance. It really affected me, more so than expected, and I cannot give the movie enough praise for tugging at my heart-strings – a rare feat for a film. The writing is mostly decent, though there are some obviously bad lines – both in their construction, repetition and generic nature – as well as the occasional exposition dump and leap in logic. The direction was superb, a number of unique shots helped to add to the flick's quirky nature. The feature is framed cleanly, the edits are smooth and the blocking varies healthily. The fantastical elements are handled very well, with practical and digital effects being used in tandem, and the pacing was pretty taut– though it feels a little longer than it should on the whole.

Overall, I think 'The 9th Life Of Louis Drax' is an entertaining and well-made film. It's subversive, surprising, engaging, interesting, emotionally-powerful, unique and fun; it also has some great performances. It does suffer from occasional tonal and structural issues, narrative leaps in logic and some weak writing, but I still liked the feature despite the fact that it is far from perfect: 7/10
  • The 9th Life of Louis Drax is a powerful movie that brought me flashes of Room because we have such a strong child main character and reminiscent of Patrick Ness' A Monster Calls at times. It is so beautiful in a subtle dark way that you don't really fully grasp until the end.

I struggled a bit with the pace because even Louis' voice got tiresome every now and then, but the dreamy atmosphere saturated with a constant sense of suspense and mystery where you just had to know more about this kid and what happened to him kept me hooked.

Louis is such a smart, perceptive, special kid, with his own voice and sense of self. You can't help but let him grow on you.

There were some things I did not appreciate, such as the insta-love, but in the end even that made sense, and the twist caught me off guard, although I chided myself for not having thought of it, but the movie is that well done. Looking back you see it makes perfect sense but while watching it just doesn't come to mind.

The 9th Life of Louis Drax is most definitely a unique movie that I highly recommend.
  • A movie that was released in theaters this weekend. You never heard of it? Hell, I see like four movies a week at the theater nowadays and hadn't heard a peep about it. This is kind of why I went to see it. It's an odd duck that's actually fairly original and has an intriguing mystery at its center. All in all, though, it's not very good. It has some howlingly bad dialogue and some laughable twists. Its biggest problem, though, is that the central character is the least likable movie kid since the one from Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. And at least that kid had autism as an excuse. This kid (Aiden Longworth) has Little Prick Syndrome, which can only be cured by a punch to the face. Or a shove off the cliff, which is how the story begins. An "accident prone" kid, this is his ninth big accident in his nine years on Earth. This one leaves him in a coma, having come back from the other side while being prepared for an autopsy. His mother (Sarah Gadon) sits by his side and his father (Aaron Paul), the presumed shover, is on the run. The boy's doctor (Jamie Dornan) forms a close bond with the mother as he tries to figure out what happened, and how to get Louis out of the coma. Oliver Platt plays the kid's psychologist and Barbara Hershey his paternal grandmother. I was never bored, I will say that, but I was also supremely unsatisfied. Gadon and Paul are both good. Dornan is boring. Platt was best-in-show.
  • But very interesting film.

When I saw the poster, I thought it was going to be Sci-Fi or Fantasy. Then I read the synopsis and it seemed like a psychological thriller: Louis Drax is a problem child that gets into a fatal accident that puts him into a coma, and the doctor tending over him gets to the roots of those problems to try to wake him.

At it's basic core, this is what the movie is, a psychological thriller. It also is a mystery as we uncover what happen to put the kid in this coma. What is different, is that the movie is narrated by the kid in the coma. His child like narrative contradicts the adult content.

The voice of Luis Drax starts off the movie, telling his story of a kid prone to accidents since he was a baby. It sets a tone you can't erase as his story and how it revolves around the people around his life becomes very adult.

The tone versus the story is really offsetting at times, but does make for some humorous moments as Louis' mother gets into a relationship with Dr. Pascal, the doctor tending over him. The music layered over the film does not help because it reinforces that children's book fantasy genre that clashes with the crime drama mystery.

Aaron Paul was brilliant in the movie as Luis Drax's loving father, Peter. His tone in the movie also is more centered on the children's book side of the movie.

The only problem with the movie, is that besides the children's fantasy combining the mystery, Thriller, The movie does and has other elements that don't jump out of nowhere necessarily, but don't fit the whole story. Dr. Pascal has a background that's perfect for helping Louis Drax and others find out what happen to him, but using this is too inconsistent and turns it into the Sci-fi movie that I thought it would be looking at the poster, but takes you out of what they are trying to do.

But overall, I liked what is going on with the 9th Life of Louis Drax. The kid who plays Louis Drax tells a great tale of scandal and mystery, from the point of view of a child. it's a compelling story uniquely told.

This movie has a lot in common with those crazy weekends where you go off to a remote location with a group, under the supervision of a sort of modern drill sergeant, and then see if you can survive the dangers of the wild. If you do, then Monday morning you are a better person for it. At least in theory.

So it is when you enter the theatre to watch this film. No matter what your preferred "film pallet" may be, this work will test it to the max.

The story is .... odd. The opening, which has a cutesy first person narrative of the kind you expect to find in films like THE LITTLE PRINCE is ... odd. The narrative exposition, which uses a sort of undefined, almost magical, interface is ... odd.

In fact the whole film, which starts as a heart-warming tale and ends in a cross between Hitchcock and pure horror is ... odd.

I checked out the film because it is one of the few works from Alexandre Aja, a director considered a genius by his many fans and a time-waster by his many detractors. This film is not going to please either group.

This odd story of an accident-prone boy also violates many of the rules of conventional film-making and seems to go out of its way to make the viewer uncomfortable and even downright squirmy.

After all that "endurance testing" you would expect a big payoff, but all you get is a small one. A very small one.

And when it comes to payoffs, size does matter.

The brightest spots in the movie are Aaron Paul, an actor whom -- as I commented in an earlier review for the IMDb -- is becoming the closest thing modern audiences have to a Jimmy Stewart. Essentially the only person in a movie you immediately want to trust.

And the always reliable Molly Parker (Deadwood) who, like Paul, gives a viewer a place to "go to ground" during the ordeal that this film has become.
  • Enjoyable mystery thriller that won't keep you on the edge of your seat but that is still interesting to watch. I do like mysteries, it's one of my favorite genre of movies, and in The 9th Life Of Louis Drax I figured it all out at half of the movie. And other people will probably do as well. That could be a sign that it's not interesting to watch because the story is too obvious. But it isn't at all. Even though I was practically certain what the outcome would be it remains a movie with a high likability to watch. The narrating voice of Aiden Longworth is pleasant to hear, even though I read that other reviewers didn't like it. The kid's character would probably not be the cutest boy to live with but in the movie it works perfectly. The rest of the cast are all a great addition to the movie. No bad words about anybody in this movie. It's beautifully shot, mesmerizing with the narrating voice, the twist is like I said a bit too obvious but it's still working. You have good movies that you will watch once, but this one is just above that and is one I would watch again in the future.
  • Ramascreen2 September 2016
    "The 9th Life Of Louis Drax" starring Jamie Dornan and Sarah Gadon is haunting.. with the most heart-wrenching reveal/twist-ending since "The Sixth Sense." Based on Liz Jensen's novel, adapted by Max Minghell, and directed by Alexandre Aja who gave us various horror films from "The Hills Have Eyes," "Piranha 3D" to "Horns," his latest feat, THE 9TH LIFE OF LOUIS DRAX is not designed to scare you, it's more of a murder whodunit mystery with a side of supernatural elements. The film is completely engrossing, not to mention this lead character, the kid named Louis Drax, excellently played by young talent, Aiden Longworth, is a character that has his perks, he's unlike any other kid, he's blunt. So when Louis Drax falls off a steep cliff on his ninth birthday, the police quickly blames the father (Aaron Paul) who's been missing since the incident. Jamie Dornan plays neurologist, Dr. Allan Pascal who's been trying to help his comatose patients including Louis, to regain consciousness. But there's a certain magnetic character in the room, Louis's mother, Natalie (Sarah Gadon) who carries her own secrets.

This is a film that has a twist ending, and so talking about it without giving too much away is honestly quite challenging. But here's what I'll say about THE 9TH LIFE OF LOUIS DRAX, it brilliantly puts all kinds of theories in your head as to what really happened that fateful day, you wouldn't be able to guess which one is right or who's guilty. Another intriguing part is that all the characters are flawed, not just Louis who considers himself different from the other kids. Great multidimensional characters that draw you further and further into the mystery as it slowly but surely peals its layers before it lets you see the bigger picture, because up until that point, your focus would only be on the kid, Louis. It's quite refreshing to see director Aja take on this gig instead of his usual frightfest. THE 9TH LIFE OF LOUIS DRAX is kinda of like the movie that M. Night Shyamalan never made.

-- Rama's Screen --
  • Louis has accidents – not the sort that can be cleaned up with a bit of effort but the sort that end in hospital. He has been having them for a long time. His beautiful mother appears to dote on him and then one day he has a near fatal fall from a cliff top – I mean if he is such a klutz why take him to a cliff edge – c'mon.

Anyway silly parental gaffs aside he is then taken under the wing of hunky, coma paediatrician expert, Dr Alan Pascal (Jamie Dornan) who thinks that it may be possible links that can be maintained through means yet to be understood by medical science. Thus begins a surreal, often warm and often twisted trip into the previous eight lives of the titular Louis Drax.

Now I actually quite enjoyed this it is adapted from the book – but I shall not compare the two. The cast are all above good and the special effects are both great and believable. It is a slow reveal and is the sort of film that you may only wish to see once (so go for a rental) but it is worth going for al the same.
    Louis Drax (Aiden Longworth) is a special nine year old. As he narrates his tale he's suffered numerous accidents in the few short years he's been on this planet. So much so that his mother tells him he's catlike and needs to be careful because he's nearing his ninth life. So when he plunges over a cliff early on in the film the odds of his surviving are slim. But survive he does.

Rushed to the hospital with his mother in tow and his father missing, Louis was underwater for some time after falling off the cliff into the sea. The combination of cold and lack of oxygen leaves him clinging for life. Eventually the doctors' call his death official and he is carted off to the morgue…where he wakes much to the consternation of the morgue attendant. Rushed back to surgery Louis is barely alive and in a coma.

Enter into the picture Dr. Allan Pascal (Jamie Dornan), a neurosurgeon who is fortunately nearby. He comes into the case trying to help Louis come out of his coma and to communicate. Placed in the wing he oversees filled with various coma patients Pascal and his staff talk to them, interact with them and try to ease them back.

Louis' mother Natalie (Sarah Gadon) refuses to leave the hospital until she can be with Louis. His father Peter (Aaron Paul) is still missing and considered on the run. Natalie has told the police that he pushed Louis off of the edge of the cliff.

The movie moves back and forth in time and space as we listen to Louis tell us about his life. Most of this is done in flashback as Louis talks to his therapist Dr. Perez (Oliver Platt). Bits and pieces of what was happening in his day to day world combined with his attitude towards life are revealed in these moments, peeled back like the layers of an onion but never quite telling us the whole story.

In addition to the tale of Louis that he is presenting us we have that of Dr. Pascal and Louis' mother Natalie. The married Pascal finds himself attracted to the young mother in need. This doesn't go unnoticed by the staff or by the police, still on the hunt for Peter Drax. Their story unfolds slowly as well offering us more of a question mark as to their potential future rather than a solid yes or no.

Eventually Pascal begins to suspect that Louis has been trying to use his brainwaves to communicate to him via his dreams. This leads to a hypnotic session involving Pascal and Perez that they hope will lead to the truth about what happened to young Louis and if he is indeed trying to communicate with them.

I know, this all sounds a bit weird. The fact is that it is weird but in a good way. While not identical I found myself thinking back to the movie DONNIE DARKO with the strange way the story is told but how it all makes sense in the end. That a movie can achieve this AND tell a solid story at the same time makes for one marvelous movie.

The movie itself looks fantastic but I would expect nothing less from director Alexandre Aja. I've long been a fan of his including past films like HORNS, MIRRORS and PIRANHA 3D. He has a great visual sense and a respect for fantasy I've only seen in director Guillermo del Toro. He puts that to great use here in this film.

The entire cast does a tremendous job here. Dornan plays Pascal low key which is what we need from the character. Gadon is the endangered waif of a woman that needs protected. But for me the standout was Aaron Paul. Having seen him for several years in BREAKING BAD it's nice to see him portray a character who may be nefarious but at the same time might be purely innocent.

On the whole I can't recommend this film enough. I was captured by the story from start to finish, never wanting to check the time stamp to see how much longer I had to sit through the movie. It's one that I know will take a space on my shelf of movies to revisit on occasion. It's also one I'm looking forward to discussing with others who get the chance to see it. It is a movie worth seeking out if not owning it outright.
    Don't let the strange title put you off. I liked the story of this mystery drama romance thriller. Things come together and there are no red herrings. As layers are peeled away the truth is revealed to be very different from what the first appearances were. And the ending is satisfying too with a feel good conclusion and an good message about beauty and goodness. There is enough "magic" to make this creative but not outrageous - like in "The Age of Adaline". An accident prone child falls off a cliff and is in a coma. His father is missing. His beautiful mother is played by Sarah Gardon. A doctor (Jamie Dornan) gets involved in his care. Although you can guess the truth about 2/3 through, it's enjoyable to see things unfold. It's not always about a last minute reveal. There is an element of Hitchcock here in tone and setting - Vertigo comes to mind with the beautiful blonde with a hint of mystery and the San Francisco location. Although it seems that the aerial shots of SF and the Golden Gate bridge were mixed with not actual on location filming. Sarah Gadon is so lovely she is perfect for the role. You can believe men will throw away everything for her. She is such a good actress too and so versatile from playing QE2 to damaged goods in this year's Indignation. Jamie Dornan as the doctor who is letting his Johnson make his decisions is good at acting in lust. It's a bit similar to 50 Shades but a better story. Aaron Paul has a pivotal supporting role as the father Peter Drax. And he is good especially when things are revealed. The young boy has lots of good lines and succeeds in not being annoying as some other child actors can be.
    This very stylish movie may have difficulty finding its ideal audience. It attempts to mix way too many genres and themes – eventually losing its way. It starts out with an intriguing situation to hook the viewer's interest as it follows the life, to-date, and leading up to 9 year old Louis's dreadful 'accident'. A treating doctor (Jamie Dornan) recommends some sessions with a Child Physiologist - superbly played by the always good to watch Oliver Platt (Pieces Of April '03). IMDb have sadly failed to include his name within the top billed cast listing - not good for one of the most important characters in the story. From there, we follow the bizarre family situation young Louis grows up in.

Problems begin when the story drifts in and out of presenting itself as a horror/monster, come sci-fi, come psychological sex/murder/child harming mum mystery. None of these themes sit comfortably within the main story of a nine year old boy. Performances are good and the style is undeniable, but few will be ultimately satisfied (as the box office returns suggest).
  • rutzelb24 April 2017
    On a family picnic on a cliff overlooking the ocean, 9- year old Louis Drax (Aiden Longworth) falls over the cliff and ends up in a coma. His mother Natalie (Sarah Gordon) says the father Peter Drax (Aaron Paul) pushed Louis over the cliff. The police and doctors are searching for the truth about what happened and Peter Drax is missing and is a suspect.

We come to learn via flashbacks and his narration that Louis Drax is a very injury prone child. Doctor Perez (Oliver Platt) believes the boy is harming himself looking for attention. Then the letters arrive seemingly written by Louis Drax, but how can that be when he is in a coma? The letters tell about things that only Louis Drax knows and the mystery deepens. Dr Pascal (Jamie Dornan) believes something else is going on with Louis Drax.

It appears that maybe, just maybe, something supernatural is going on. Now you are getting warm, but how to prove it?

There are a couple twists and some may say "convoluted" but nevertheless they are there and come to light. Can you guess?

Notables: A Sea Monster and a friend to Louis is the voice of Aaron Paul; Barbara Hershey as Violet Drax, Peter's mother.

All in all a very good mystery - convoluted or not - and the acting by all sells it. Kudos. (9/10)

Violence: Yes, but brief.. Sex: No. Nudity: No. Language: Yes, but very brief
  • I'm surprised this movie doesn't have a higher rating. While I didn't like the makeup and voice of the monster and thought the movie might have been better without it, I liked the mix of fantasy and reality. I saw the plot twist coming a bit early, but that didn't detract from my enjoyment. The narration from the kid's perspective was fine. I always love it when a story doesn't assume a child is stupid and adults are know-it-alls. I definitely felt empathy for the kid.

What I liked the most was the soundtrack, which really carries the movie. I'm a huge Patrick Watson fan and I hope he'll get the opportunity to make many more soundtracks.

I had some flashbacks to The Sixth Sense (which admittedly is a better movie overall). It also had a dreamy, melancholic, atmospheric quality to it and I think lovers of M. Night Shyamalan-style mystery will definitely enjoy this movie too.
  • The boy Louis Drax (Aiden Longworth) is a survivor along his life, escaping from death for eight times. On his ninth birthday, he goes to a picnic with his beautiful mother Natalie (Sarah Gadon) and his father Peter (Aaron Paul) nearby a cliff. Out of the blue, Louis falls off the cliff and is declared dead by the doctors. However he awakes immediately before the autopsy and stays in coma under the care of Dr. Allan Pascal (Jamie Dornan). Natalie discloses to the police detective Dalton (Molly Parker) that Peter, who is missing, pushed Louis off the cliff and he becomes the prime suspect of the case. Meanwhile Dr. Pascal, who is married, becomes close to Natalie. When weird things happen in the hospital with Louis, Dr. Pascal invites his psychiatrist Dr. Perez (Oliver Platt) to share his knowledge about the behavior of the boy and they disclose secrets about the Drax family.

"The 9th Life of Louis Drax" is a supernatural film directed by Alexandre Aja with a unique storyline. The plot is intriguing and mysterious but the conclusion could be better and better since the twist discloses Natalie's personality too soon with the visit of Peter 's mother to the hospital. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "A Nona Vida de Louis Drax" ("The 9th Life of Louis Drax")
    I made the mistake of reading some reviews and almost didn't watch it because of the negativity shown towards the movie. Certainly, the key themes are adult in nature and lend a darkness that seems at odds with the perspective of a child's narrative, but that helped keep some of the mystery, even though it appeared to give some reviewers a reason to dislike the movie. Early in the movie I'd a pretty good idea how the story would play out and yet the way in which it did was not predictable and kept my interest. I even liked how the "pirates of the Caribbean / a monster calls" style was utilised in manifesting some of the plot. To summarise this was certainly worth a watch and not as bad as some of its haters would lead you to believe.
    Alexander Aja brings us a fantastic story line, developed with beautiful and even magical images that we will remember for a long time. Filled with all variety of feelings that are interwoven in any given life, dressed up with several truly beautiful and magical images, "The 9th life of Louis Drax" is a film that will not let you indifferent. I left the big projection hall, with several reflections about beauty, life, love, destiny, maturity, and caring that will remain with my inner self, most probably serving as platform for many conversations in the future, with friends and family. It is the kind of movie that triggers a reflection, and may help us to think twice in our perceptions. I particularly liked the way the director takes us through a complex story, unfolding it with mastery in the selection of filming planes, settings, time jumps and and pace. I recommend this film, as one of the best of this season!
  • So I sat on Sunday evening with nothing to do and this movie came up as a recommendation. I clicked on, it at starting watching. The main plot is simple, it's about Love — nothing more. Then it cuts down to a few minor plots that leads to the main plot in the movie, every moment wasn't there just to fill a movie script, it meant something for the whole movie even the small details.

I loved this movie, and I give it a 9/10
  • This movie draws you along, and doesn't leave you in your own head trying to figure out what happens next, till near the end. And even then, you are riveted. The ending had a small twist, that was well done, but seemed a little too preachy at the end. I guess some filmmakers and/or story writers feel the need to supply morals in a world that has no basis for them anymore. Nonetheless, the plot devices and its non-linear storytelling blend well together, and make for a big win in my book. The performances were all lights out fantastic from a cast of relative unknowns. This gives you hope for the future of cinema, and dramatic acting in general. Especially in this era of the super hero film. It also seamlessly blends science and medical technology with the paranormal, in a way I haven't seen since "The sixth Sense". More than any other film I have reviewed here (and there have been a few that I have felt unjustly rated) this film's overall low rating is grossly unfair. It blends all the tools of good storytelling and suspense, with great revelations at its climax and ending. Not to mention dialog that leads you where it wants you to go I highly recommend it.
    Nominated worst movie of the year?. I wonder what was watching these guys I really don't understand critic experts. Since Shakespeare in love won i quit of listen to them. This is a great movie. It starts as a comedy then turns to drama then to fiction and ends with mystery and investigation. So you have a good movie with lots of éléments. Maybe is not the best but it doesn't disappoint. Worth to see more than many others.
  • cdcrb3 September 2016
    I don't care if I am banned from the IMDb site for the rest of my life. this is the worst movie of 2016 by far. for those who didn't like ben hur, run to see this. ben hur will look like a masterpiece. a young boy, who may be accident prone, falls off a cliff and goes into a coma. did the father do it? is the mother the culprit, or in fact, is it the young boy in the coma. the mother gets anonymous letters, the doctor also. the police actually think the boy in the coma might have written them. to keep the mother out of danger, the hospital lets her stay in a room there, where she roams around with a towel wrapped her after a shower. guess what. she runs into the doctor, who is taking an interest in her boy. are men really this stupid? anyway the ending really doesn't matter, since you will have lost all interest by then. I really could go on with this, but i'll stop.
  • stevendbeard4 September 2016
    I saw "The 9th Life of Louis Drax", starring Jamie Dornan-Anthropoid, Fifty Shades of Grey; Aaron Paul-Central Intelligence, Need For Speed; Sarah Gadon-Dracula Untold, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Aiden Longworth-The Unseen, Hector and the Search For Happiness.

This is a little strange thriller/mystery, directed by Alexandre Aja. You might have caught one of his other films; Piranha 3D, Mirrors, The Hills Have Eyes_2006 or High Tension. I called the movie strange because there is all kinds of things going on that involve symbolism and I used to hate symbolism, way back when I was in school-I had problems figuring out exactly what something was supposed to mean, instead of what it just appeared to be. Aiden plays the title character, Louis Drax, a young boy that has been plagued with accidents ever since he was born. They are shown in flashback. Aaron and Sarah are his parents. On Aiden's 9th birthday, the family goes on a picnic near the ocean. Aiden falls off of a cliff into the water and is taken to the hospital, where he is pronounced dead. He is dead for 2 hours when he suddenly comes back to life. Everyone is shocked, including the doctor, Jamie. Sarah tells the police that Aaron pushed Aiden over the cliff and so he is the subject of a manhunt. That is when things start getting a little strange. While Aiden is in a deep coma, notes start to appear that are hand written, as if they were written by Aiden. Jamie starts falling for Sarah as if he were making the sequel to Fifty Shades. Other facts come to light that suggest that maybe there is another explanation for things that are going on. By the end of the movie, there are some mysteries that are resolved but then there are also some that are not-or maybe I am just too dumb to understand the symbolism, I don't know. I mean, I think I understood who the seaweed creature was supposed to be but I didn't follow the bit about Aiden talking through other people thing-was it mind powers like telekinesis or something? And if so, where did they come from? He never exhibited powers during the first nine years of his life. It's rated "R" for disturbing images, language and sexual content- including brief nudity-and has a running time of 1 hour & 48 minutes. If you like symbolism you might enjoy this one more than I did. I would not buy it on DVD. I don't think I would rent it, either. If you really want to see it, I would wait until it comes to cable.
    (Flash Review)

I really wanted to like this in part from the attractive DVD cover and quirky movie title. It was a good attempt with an intriguing core plot around mind melding, subconscious and dreams yet sadly misses the mark to be exceptional. Louis Drax is a young boy who has been very fortunate to still be alive as he is like a cat, as the title implies, and has had many lives and due to foolish or unfortunate life occurrences could easily be dead. The surreal portions of the film's theme could have been executed more convincingly. And it was not visually captivating nor imaginative enough. Its pacing and scene development felt very tedious and by the time interesting things began to occur my interest level had fallen so far that all impact was lost. It was also rather more depressing than it needed to be. Overall, it was a missed opportunity.
  • I knew after five minutes that this was a dark dramedy and not a thriller. I also found the child's high-pitched voice annoying. I was hoping this would be something along the lines of Unbreakable, but I was not even able to get through it. The boy's first few "lives" are unraveled in an almost comedic way, in the first five minutes. Enter the doctor who gives lectures and has a best-selling book. At this point, I was losing interest. I don't know how this ended, nor do I care. The sound editing was the worst, too - make sure you have all background noise turned off. This had some good reviews, so I was very disappointed. To each his own. Maybe you will like it.