• Extremely powerful picture. What some may view as your stereotypical black film goes beyond that. The film is nuanced in such a way that those who can't begin to understand the life of a large number of minorities in America, and what they go through, may not appreciate. The film is not meant to be a gangster film, but a film that depicts multigenerational struggles, complex father-son relationships and the fight to break the cycle bred by systemic poverty and the pipeline to prison. A film that simply isn't meant for the ignorant minds of those who wish to stay ignorant, but those who understand the challenges in America.

Jeffrey Wright, per usual, is excellent in his character development and Ashton Sanders continues to flourish and grow as actor.
  • tomsawyer-0185813 May 2020
    This movie starts rather slow, low as it leads you without information into a brutal murder of the parents of young girl. No explanation required, our biased position as a judge behind our screens has been established.

Then starts what I suspected would be a cheap attempt to make me have pity for his action. Probably the usual bad childhood, with a violent alcoholic father and sexual child abuse.

The non-linear cutting of scenes of different people who influence the young killer, with in-between scenes of his childhood starts as a puzzle, which slowly with growing intensity completes the picture.

The choices he had were they real choices ? Where's the exit of the tunnel?

Almost every scene has its memorable quotes. with deep psychological consequences.

The movie never gets low or cheap, on the contrary it rises until the end, which a good movie should do.

It always remains narrative, never trying to manipulate your judgement, except that at the end you may stop judging without knowing.
  • Ashton Sanders is mysterious, brooding and complex, similar to his role in Moonlight.

Very disappointing to see reviewers reduce this beautifully done film down to a "hood movie".

If you simply appreciate good art, you'll savor every minute. Not for the squeamish. Not for those who do not like thinking while watching movies. Not for those who embrace prejudices.
  • I really don't understand who doesn't like this movie. Most of them waiting for happy ending. Sorry guys, I have a bad news for you, art of cinema is not a stupid fairy tales, it's a mirror of real life. And yes, there are lives like these characters.
  • This movie delivered! What did the illiterates expect! Life in poverty stricken neighborhoods aren't stereotypes! The stereotype is other people wanting to help stop the inhumane cycles. The racist lice demons will find every reason to blame the victims! Ashton Sanders always rises to the occasion with a star performance! The cinematography was great as well!
  • nored-141044 May 2020
    Ummm
    Do not listen to those low rates. Most of them have racist remarks lol
    The main character, Jahkor, is complex and nuanced. Ashton Sanders has incredible acting chops for a young man his age. Jeffrey Wright delivers, as always, with unmatched versatility. His entire demeanor morphed into JD for this film. I also appreciate that it was actually set in East Oakland for an authentic feel. I enjoyed the story arc and how things came full circle.
  • This film was so overwhelmingly realistic. The acting was amazing and I was so drawn into the characters lives. It was very sad to see children affected by poverty and the bad choices people made around them. It was a very well made movie with a lot of thought put into it.
  • This is one of the finest black movie to see..The role of young black boy is super awesome..he played it like real...the whole movie keep me going..
    A lot of people claim this movie "should be avoidable", or may go further to say "its a waiste of time". I don't see that when i watched this movie. Maybe its because I'm a black 19 y/o "boy" myself and was able to see through these stereotypes. This movie depicted some pretty spot on problems that go on in "hoods"(black/lower-income communities) that I didn't see in no other comment. That depiction is how we, as black people are perceived and stuck in this cycle. Yes, it was violent, and out of the norm for most people, but unfortunately this is what most black kids (kids=adults too) experience, stuck in a system who doesn't even care about us, and with no way out. This movie showed me not to take what i have for granted, and to further respect those who go trough these unavoidable struggles. A comment stated that "they didnt have the proper accents" but i am from Nashville and people don't really have a southern accent like its shown on these movies/TV Shows, or maybe its because we are black, and anything but slang isn't what is expected. Jah served his purpose, and served it damn good. Although his life wasnt the picture perfect movie, this didn't mean there wasn't a happy ending. He stood up for his child, and saw that not being there like his father would turn his sun into another product of this vicious cycle, which something we applaud where I'm from. Also to all those who said this wasn't a good representation of your local hood, maybe you should talk to a person from a real "hood", because i could relate to a lot of these things, and i dont even consider myself to be from the hood, it's sad. Maybe its cliche to a lot of people, but until change happens I'm standing behind the positive role models in my community who choose to be the voice for those who cant.
  • Love boyz n the hood,menace II society,south central,juice to name but a few.This is by no means on that level,however in the last 15 years this is bloody close.definitely worth a watch.8 out of 10
  • I see a lot of low ratings and they're probably coming from millenials who aren't familiar with this kind of movie. You see, hood movies haven't changed much in the last 30 years or so (and as a big movie fan I respect that), probably because the hood hasn't changed much either. This movie could've easily be made in 1997 just like One eight seven could've been made in 2020... While for example, teenage movies in the 90s were about this kid who lost his dog or built a treehouse with his friends; and nowadays teenage movies are about teenagers collecting Instagram likes or being recruited by the government and transformed into cyborgs. So if you liked hood movies back in the 90s or 2000s, you will like this one too, if not then go find yourself some nice kid-becomes-a-cyborg movie
  • I'm a Huge Ashton Sanders fan so I really wanted to like this movie but the writing just didn't do it for me. Great cinematography with beautiful colors and textures in the film but the script and storyline was very dry. I feel like this movie was a waste of the actors talents.

The movie had no soul... maybe the writers should do some more research on "the hood"
  • I think this movie has a smiliar feel too shotcaller with jamie lannister except that in shotcaller he had choices, this person is just a product of hes environment. Its not the most interesting story but its some great storytelling.
    Directed and written by Robert Cole this film is a detailed observation on the cycle of violence and drugs as it depicts how even the best intentions are not enough to break these miserable situations. This movie works better if it is seen as a vignette or as episodic/memory about the main character Jahnkor Abraham Lincoln played by the great Ashton Sanders who has a great scene prescense. Following a sporadic jump in time, we get to see Lincoln in several scenes where violence is the major force in his upbringing. Whereas, Moonlight is quiet and subtle and maybe poetic, All Day and Night is visceral, realistic, and loud. Mako Kamitsuna's editing is bold in the sense that it forces the audience to make the connections between scenes. She doesn't waste time in transitions or explanations about the jumps in time, and it is up to the audience to find a story/plot on their own. Perhaps Cole's intention is to confuse us and create a kind of frustration into trying to figure out what is going on, just like most of the characters in this movie feel about their unescapable situations. One of the most interesting characters is played by Shakira Ja'nai Paye. She plays Shataye, Lincoln's girlfriend and mother of their son. She is a strong driving force in this movie, and you can't keep your eyes away from her. Her portrayal of a black woman in circumstances beyond her control make her a center for the humanity when you can't do anything but suffer the consequences of somebody else's actions and of your surroundings. Such grim setting, atmospheric cinematography (by the talented Jessica Le Gagné), and the unescapable situations of the characters probably alienates most of its indented audience. It is not a film that glorifies violence, or gangs, or drugs, but a film that portraits a picture we know is real, but maybe not everybody is ready to accept. This may be the real power of the movie and its own demise: it illustrates without judgement a situation so close to our present that we are unable to process all of its facets. After all, to see complete families, friends, and past and present generations in jail for violent crimes is unsettling enough, but to realize we are incapable of making any change, may be unbearable to watch.
  • I watched the entire film and came away with nothing. What was the point? It's a stereotypical hood drama with an unoriginal plot and explicit violence. It's culturally regressive. I can't help but wonder why someone would finance this film. So cringey and played out. Jeffrey Wright, as usual, stands out and gives you a glimpse of his immense range an actor. Ashton Sanders pretty much plays the same character he played in the wu-tang series on Hulu. He's not good but not bad either. Overall Re-watch value: 0
  • Amazing cinematography, the acting was superb, Ashton Sanders is incredible - the entire cast is. The story follows Ashton's character, a black youth on his journey to violence and incarceration. Unfortunately, this is reality, with a parent in and out of jail, the choice of friends one surround itself, and an ongoing proneness to become angry (untreated, limited ressources), many choose the life of crime.
  • Honestly I gotta ask what the point of this movie was, cause I got to the end still trying to figure if the motive was worth the time I sat to watch the movie. It just shows the life in the hood and the things that come with it, but nah aiint nothing special.
  • olashamaxwell2 May 2020
    This movie is not any more violent than most on television now a days. My expectations weren't too high coming into it due to the 5.7 imdb rating but i promise this movie is Excellent!
  • anmg-173851 May 2020
    Had me on the edge of my seat and he entire time, such a well done mix between drama and action. Great depiction of America's alienation and modern day segregation against black America.
  • Ashton Sanders is amazing and his acting just kept taking my breath away every time. This movie touched me in its realism, and made me see the world through different eyes. I loved everything about it and the end really proved what the story was throughout. It's survival of the fittest.
  • I watched this movie because I respect the actors who were in the film. It was interesting but more of the same drugs, sex and raising kids in the hood. Sad situation. Actors did their job!
    I read a review that 'All Night and a Day' has the potential to displace 'Dangerous Lies' which incidentally was a gripping, slow burn thriller. But I felt hoodwinked after 40 minutes of watching this tedious mundanity. I kept on watching for some redeeming twist that never came.

It begins on the premise and the promise of an impending mystery (holding you only for about15 minutes) but slowing fizzles out into meandering meaninglessness. It makes the movement of thick molasses look like an Olympian sprinter. Acting is flat, dialogues sound jarring.

If you have nothing else to do and have all the time.......even then you may steer clear of it. Just so, it can't hold a candle to 'Dangerous Lies'
  • I had a good time watching 'All Day and a Night'. You can see it's well made, has a strong cast and features an engaging story. It isn't perfect of course, but it's a more than decent film.

Ashton Sanders impresses the most in my opinion, he plays Jah excellently - I could appreciate what they were telling about his role, which is thanks to Sanders as much as it is to Joe Robert Cole & Co. Jeffrey Wright, who I like a lot as an actor, is up to scratch as J.D., even if his character comes across, at least to me, a little stereotypical at moments.

It's a story very nicely told, I like how it portrays it mostly via flashbacks. I guess you could argue a few parts are overly entwined, but overall I think they did a very solid job. Well worth a watch.
  • The acting didn't completely suck, but I just couldn't get past the terrible accents and unoriginal plot. This movie is supposed to take place in Oakland California, but the main characters sound nothing close. It really feels culturally regressive Overall. Hood drama done very predictably, reminds me why I prefer documentaries over underwhelming story telling.