User Reviews (205)

• I just finished watching this movie. I don't understand all the bad reviews I thought it was pretty good. I'm very particular on my horror especially these days. I found it to be rather eerie and a creepy atmosphere. It has a nightmare on elm street kind of vibe but more stranger. It's not a serial killer rip off and far from boring.

Perhaps people are just obsessed with the lousy "found footage" atmosphere or the Ouija boards possessions. I thought it was a rather refreshing considering all the other flicks these days. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it I just put it on for background noise and I thought it was going to be a random crazy fellow killing random people.

I highly suggest it I'm shocked about all the bad reviews I'm wondering if we watched the same movie. If you're not the type to listen to bad reviews I say take a chance for it.
  • I've just been to see The Bye Bye Man and i can honestly say it isn't that bad. OK so it isn't going to win any awards and its unlikely to be a horror classic. But if you go in expecting little then its a pretty decent horror film. Its pitched somewhere between Sinister and it follows.

Pros

Its quite easy to watch. Fairly decent story

Cons The acting is below average. The story had potential to be really good but seemed to lack in a proper back story and the main characters were lacking any real personality.

Overall If you are looking for an amazing horror film then this probably isn't for you. If you want something fairly enjoyable for 90 minutes i can think of worse films to watch.
  • There are moments when you watch a trailer for a movie and think to yourself "Well, the trailer is pretty bad, but maybe the movie is better." And, sometimes the movie does actually turn out to be better, making you pleasantly surprised. I did not have that feeling as I watched the trailer for the Bye Bye Man. After the trailer ended, there was not one ounce of me that thought "OK, maybe I should give it a shot.".

I watched this movie with my best friend, who also happens to be a horror fan, only because we have literally seen everything else that was out. I personally found three major issues with the movie.

1. The characters: Not one of the characters were particularly likable, so who really cares if any or all of them get hacked to bits? They don't really have any back story. The only one you feel any emotion towards at all is Elliot, and even those moments of emotion are sparse. Of course, he's the only one who has somewhat of a history to him.

2. The acting: To put it simply, the acting is horrendous. It's downright laughable. The writing can only be blamed for so long. It felt more like a high school stage production (and a bad one at that), than an actual movie. The women who played Kim, and Elliot's girlfriend, are by far the worst out of the whole movie, the latter being slightly worse than the former.

3. The worst thing about this movie is there is no mythology about the Bye Bye Man. There is zero backstory into who or what this creature is. All we know is that he is a creepy man with a creepy dog, and that's it. We don't know why he's terrorizing and killing these people, other than the fact that they say his name. WHY?! Where did that lore come from? Even the most psychotic icons of horror have some backstory into why they are that way. This movie offers you none of that.

I wouldn't recommend seeing this movie; I wouldn't recommend renting this movie; I wouldn't even recommend watching this movie for free on Netflix. This is one of the worst horror movies I have ever seen, and I've seen some very bad horror movies.
  • I'm so serious when I say this: I made an IMDb account just to rate this movie. If you are considering watching this, you shouldn't. I guarantee you, you will hate it! I felt like I was watching a comedy when I was in the theater, I even laughed a few times. The "villain" was a poorly computer animated joke. I didn't feel scared or even remotely nervous. Every single person who was involved in the making of this movie should feel extremely awful lmao. I actually think this is in the top ten worst movies I've ever seen. I wish there was an option to rate it zero. Please don't watch this movie. I'm making this review to save your time!! This has been my good deed for the day... sorry excuse for a movie in general
  • First thing you need to know is the acting is bad. At times it's alright, at times it's awful, and at times I cringed. The plot of the movie is not bad, no one really has addressed this but this is easily the only thing that kept my interested throughout. Not a new idea by any means, but the psychological aspect of the movie kept me entertained. The directing was good. Some shots were pretty cool and some jump scares were actually clever. Depending on how you look at it, one of the jump scares was either a rip off or was inspired by a James Wan jump scare. The movie had the potential to be good and they just dropped the ball. Some people have mentioned how the shot gun deaths were one of the reasons it was a "bad" movie. These people are over dramatic. That scene, while head scratching is not going to ruin the movie. Though, it's what they had to do it seems to keep a PG-13 rating based off rumors I'm seeing/reading. If you are a fan horror, go into this movie with low expectations. If you are not a fan of horror, don't watch this movie.
    Started out intriguing ended with a ridiculous thud .

The acting was absolutely horrible especially the main characters girlfriend no actor in this movie stood out not even Faye Dunaway in her small role.

The suspense was lame and only one part involving a train was remotely suspenseful.

Everything else was cliché the darkness,the thing appearing in the corner of the room,horrible cgi,etc...

This movie was a true travesty and the ending ?

Well suffice it to say...don't expect one because THERE ISN'T ONE IN THIS MOVIE.

Don't expect a sequel either this one did horribly in theaters .

The movie is a complete disaster it's confusing as hell,not very interesting,the villain is laughable,and the plot is nonexistent.

Even the ending is predictable and other movies have done it much better then this one did.
  • Like some other reviewers said, I could not understand how the IMDb score at this time is 4.3. but there were so many 1 star ratings in the written reviews. This horror movie deserves 5 stars, which makes it worth watching if you are a horror fan. IMDb users note, horror movies rarely get above 6 stars, its just how people vote in this entire genre. A 7 in a real horror movie, is like "gone with the wind" or "citizen kane" level classic (lol). Anyways, back to the review.

This movie has a good premise, good rules for the supernatural critter to follow, real unease and dread, even among the "authority" support characters, and a few good scares. The CGI budget is low, and it DOESN'T MATTER, as it might in some other movie.

And I don't just mean it is good for an indie, it is just plain good (if you are a horror fan).
    First of all, anyone reading this review should know I'm EXTREMELY forgiving with horror films. If you have half-decent character development, a semi-plausible plot line, average actors or better, good FX and AT LEAST one or two "gotcha" moments, or some combination thereof, I'll give it a good recommendation.

Sadly, The Bye Bye Man has none of it.

Let's start with back story - there is NONE! (apart from some journalist encountering BBM 30 years before the story takes place). We do not know who BBM is, where he came from, how he came into existence, or why he terrorizes people. This is the biggest flaw that sinks the movie. Perhaps the filmmakers thought if they tell you NOTHING about the boogieman, it will make him more scary. It doesn't - it's disingenuous, at best.

Half of the actors give wooden performances, and the other half overact grandiosely. I was particularly distressed to see Carrie Ann Moss and - GASP! - Academy Award winner Faye Dunaway, as they are so much better than this material. I got the impression the producers wanted big names to attract an audience (and maybe Ms. Dunaway really, really needs the money). It was difficult to care for any of these characters.

The plot is ludicrous and revolves around the single notion "don't think it, don't say it" which, if you analyze it, is antithetical to how people behave. You've got a supernatural boogieman after you, intending to kill you, and you're not going to think about him?!?! C'mon...

I did not have one single, solitary moment when I felt tense or ill at ease. There were NO "gotcha" moments for me throughout the entire picture, which I found all too predictable. For example, the filmmakers conspicuously place a robe in the bedroom of the two central characters and make it the main focus of the camera angles in several scenes, so that when it comes alive as the BBM, it's simply a yawning moment. In fact, the few times BBM was presented, I was appalled at the lack of creativity in trying to make him anything close to menacing. Makeup and costumes were extremely lacking, as if the filmmakers chose to chop those expenses to meet budget.

The only injustice I can think of would be to make a sequel of this mess.
  • As someone who is a big fan of horror films, I can truly say that this film was bad. This film had no originality whatsoever. The entire film made me feel like I was watching a movie about Slenderman, The Babadook and something just plain weird. The film had so many things that were unexplained (which sometimes isn't bad) but it was to the point where I was entirely lost and waiting to be picked back up by something good. The acting was horrible, the content felt unoriginal and the whole film relied on jump scares to get any sort of reaction. If you're someone who loves jump scares and doesn't appreciate real suspense, terror or fear then this movie is for you. The jump scares were interesting and there were a few points where the movie could have expanded or gone somewhere deeper with it's scenes, but it failed to do that and falled flat with every chance it had. I had such high expectations for a film that was from the producers of The Strangers but this was just completely horrible. Skip this movie, you aren't missing much.
  • I will admit that there are some very creepy parts to this film, yet watching this film I kept getting flashbacks on better horror movies that presented bogeymen way better than this one did. I felt like I was watching a movie that decided to reanact scenes from other movies.

I'm just going to come out and say it: The acting is HORRIBLE. This movies presents us with stilted, horrendous caricatures of what I think is supposed to be acting, but overall it's some of the worst I've seen in a while. The character's dialogue is so clumsy it gets awkward after a while. This is seriously worse than what college kids fresh out of film school can do!

Another error with this film is the characters describing the plot of this movie repeatedly to us OVER AND OVER AGAIN. This movie could have been about 20 minutes long! This may just be one of the most incomplete films I think I've seen in a while.

I didn't have very high expectations for this movie when it came out, but my god is it a lot worse than I had imagined it could ever be!
    Let's just all hope, the girl who played the girlfriend never gets a movie role ever again. The whole film felt like a joke and the acting was awful but that girl..i was laughing out loud and calling out for Jesus anytime she was on screen. Probably the worst 'acting' I have ever seen. About the story. There's really no story. There's this man who shows up when you say his name and makes you see and do things. For what reason tho? No clue. Where did he come from? No clue. Why? No clue. What's with his dog? No clue.
    Don't think it. Don't say it. Don't say it, don't think it. DON'T WATCH IT. What an awful awful film. This is a movie that you would see on the Chiller network (not a knock on the network). Its a completely generic, non-entertaining, ridiculously stupid waste of time. I went in with a clean slate (apart from thinking the title of the film was laughably dumb) and came out feeling like I really should have known better.

The film is about a group of friends that seem to be haunted by a presence known as The Bye Bye Man. This monstrous being has history connected to previous grizzly murders and now this group need to end the Bye Bye Man. Sounds dumb enough, and it is. The three lead characters are terrible. You want them to die. There are shallow, generic, infuriatingly boring and bland. Sometimes you get that with horror films, but I at least want to get behind the characters. Some of the characters and actions are so stupid that I was praying for their characters death. And when it came it was well deserved because of how dumb they are. I'm talking about a specific scene with a train at a railway crossing.

The film has nothing amazing going for it visually. The scares (if you can call it that) are so manufactured and tried that even if this was your first horror movie, you still would see it all coming. You want to laugh at how stupid the concept, name, and presence of the being is. Its not even in the so bad its good territory which is a shame because with something with a title like this it should have gone all out in the cheese department.

I've been very hard on this film. Its a January release, which is basically the graveyard of Hollywood films. Pretty certain that no one had any faith in this film, and I can see why. You can give me a pen and a pad and a camera and I can write you a more convincing horror film that this. At the very least we have memes of the catchphrase for this film. if anything, its going to go down as a giant joke. Its what it deserves.

OVERVIEW "Don't say it. Don't think it." But of course a group of college students do and then find themselves dealing with a foreboding curse. The problem is, The Bye Bye Man never quite develops itself nor does it explain a lot of avoidable mistakes. It's one of those films that is so painful to watch that you wonder, did they make it this bad on purpose? The film with the unfortunate name, is just as unfortunate plot- wise.

After moving into an off-campus house with his best friend John (Lucien Laviscount) and girlfriend Sasha (Cressida Bonas), Elliot (Douglas Smith) finds bizarre writing on the inside of a drawer. Etched beneath the lining is "The Bye Bye Man". When Sasha expresses her concern that a presence may be in the house, they perform a seance with the help of her psychic friend. It is during the seance that Elliot speaks the entities name out loud, thus unleashing the curse among those who hear it.

The supernatural creature quickly gets into their heads, making them see things that increase their paranoia, jealousy and fear. Possessing them in a way that encourages them to commit acts of murder. Which seems to be the only way of stopping others from saying The Bye Bye Man to anyone else.

THOUHGTS One of the most prominent flaws with this film was apparent from the start. That is the very unassuming name for this terrifying monster, The Bye Bye Man. It's not frightening at all and it frankly is so ridiculous, it's hard to take the characters seriously when they're saying it with fear in their voice. The character is portrayed by the excellent Doug Jones (Hellboy, Crimson Peak), who is an amazing creature actor. So while his efforts could have potential to create a spooky demonic ghoul, the rest of the film completely ruins all hope.

The plot of the film moves fairly quickly. A little too quickly. The characters are so self-aware in an instant. It makes you wonder if they only moved into this creepy old house so one of them could claim it's haunted. Which in itself makes no sense because the house itself is not haunted. It's only by saying "The Bye Bye Man" out loud that he gains any power, yet the characters experience a couple supernatural occurrences before anyone sees or mentions the name.

Another thing that was so painful with this film was its inability to be serious. One of those rare films you see where you're confused if you're not in on the joke or not. The script is disastrous for a studio film. The amount of cheesy lines, or just set-ups that make no sense was something the entire audience seemed to not be able to get over. It's also very poorly acted, the actress portraying Sasha appeared to be in more of C- student film, rather than a film with a $7.4 million budget.

It's hard to be so harsh to a film that tried to be original, but it's flaws were just so glaringly apparent that it's difficult to understand how anyone would give the okay. The very few jump scares this film had, were instantly negated by something ridiculous and comedic. It never quite found it's footing, which could entirely be blamed on a poor script and terribly set up scenes.

Don't say it. Don't think it. Don't see this movie.
  • This movie was very impressive to me, especially as a starter for horror in the new year. The whole basis of the movie was of the titled Bye Bye Man. A creature, ghost, entity, whatever, is not defined; He is still a horrifying thing. The first half of the movie gets into it very quickly. We get a decent introduction to all the characters, and then right there everything just starts going down. As the movie progressed I was honestly very gripped by it and the overall feel of the movie was amazing. One of the coolest parts of the movie is how the Bye Bye Man not only affects the characters but the viewer in many ways. I was completely shocked by how well down this movie was honestly. it was a refreshing take on the idea of a boogeyman-type character. Yes this movie may be full of clichés, but hey, that hasn't stopped some movies from becoming amazing. The clichés actually, in my opinion, worked and helped the story line of the movie.

I really recommend anyone who's a casual or big horror fan to watch this movie. Don't go into it thinking it's going to be some amazing Nightmare On Elm Street level horror movie. Go into it with a fresh mind and just experience it. You will not regret it.
  • skylerisaac28 January 2017
    Yuck
    The Bye Bye Man is a master class in ineptitude.

Poor writing leaves us with under-developed characters whom it's impossible to care about, which waters down the already contrived and predictable "scares".

With the exception of one particular scene involving Carre-Anne Moss and an interrogation room, the acting is pretty awful, actually causing me to laugh out loud on several occasions.

And let's not forget about how bland and unoriginal this thing is, either. The Bye Bye Man himself is a guy in a hood and....that's it. Sometimes he'll point at one of the annoying characters. I'm almost insulted at the fact that director Stacy Title thinks that this will scare audience members.

I suppose it's not all bad, though. The film is at its best during the third act, when it goes into full-on thriller mode, and actually kind of works...until the credits roll and you realize how many lapses in logic and the sheer amount of plot holes that exist in this film.

I could probably go on a lot more about how terrible this was, but I think you get the point.

All I can say is, Don't see this film. Not even die-hard horror fans like myself will find anything to enjoy here.

• Just for once my girlfriend and I decided to go to a movie with an IMDb rating this low (at the moment 3.5). For us IMDb is everything, we really trust on the opinion of the crowd.

We really love horror and thriller movie's. I can tell you one thing, this movie is GREAT! Once again I am shocked to see the IMDb rating. I think it's bullshit it got rated so low by some *prohibited word on here* who think they are "movie experts" and have nothing to do with their life. I mean what the *what two people do when making love*, "rating movie's" that's not even a real job. Go *love* yourself. And yes I am mad, because I feel great unfairness against the makers of this movie. They really did a great job!

I understand there can be a different in taste. But as hard as I try to be objective: it is still a really good movie. But worst of all; how many (good) movie's did I skip through the years because of a low IMDb rating...

Just because all of this, I took effort to google and find out how to write a review on here to warn you all (and yes, it is hard to find the button for writing a review here). Please go to the movie and let me know that I am not the only one and crazy. Please, my life is upside down now. I NEED TO KNOW.

~ don't think it ~ don't say it ~
  • janne-bunkholdt27 February 2017
    Incredibly bad movie. Bad acting and the story could have been so much better than it was. I thought it was a bit messy. The lines were too unnatural. When someone breaks into your home, the question is not "who are you?" in a calm way, but "get the hell out !!" . Was also a lot of mistakes in the movie... it's simply a low budget movie... The only reason I went to so this film in theaters was due to the good feedback some people on IMDb had written. If you are in doubt then wait until it comes out on DVD / Netflix. it's not worth seeing it in theaters, select a different movie.
  • Im very picky when it comes to horror movies... I hate movies like paranormal activity and Annabelle. This movie was just fine to watch at home. The acting is off yes but its more realistic to how real people act than how most movies portray. Needless to say real people don't behave like they do in movies so this one is a nice change.

I also loved the fact that this movie was about teenagers but didn't include them having sex, getting drunk or party all the time... It was a pleasant change to watch a movie about decent teens.
  • STAR RATING: ***** Saturday Night **** Friday Night *** Friday Morning ** Sunday Night * Monday Morning

In the late 1960s, a man mysteriously murders all those closest to him after he finds that they have merely uttered the name of a murderous entity. In the present day, several millennials move into this house, which is just off campus, and begin to experience mysterious events that freak them out. They too become aware of the existence of 'the Bye Bye Man', and learn if they even think or say his name, they will be inviting death upon themselves (gee, at least with the Candyman it was five times. And even then you had to look in a mirror...)

The Bye Bye Man wasn't even the Say Hello Man, appearing out of nowhere in theatres in early January before saying 'bye bye'...almost immediately. And after watching this execrable dreck, it's not hard to see why. It's a January film all over, one to usher out without much fuss in the early part of the year while everyone's still recovering, that sadly invaded my eyes and my senses, even after it had been on DVD for a while. It's just a typical low rent effort, with slightly glossier production values and cover design, that made it to theatres while a tonne of similar Z grade trash was released straight to DVD.

It starts quite intriguingly, however the promising opening fails to tie in coherently with what transpires on screen, which just descends into a load of meaningless guff. No connection is established between the man committing the murders in the house and the kids moving in, other than the whole 'saying or thinking the Bye Bye Man' thing, which they could have done anywhere. At no point is it ever scary or thrilling in any way, and at any rate, all of these youngsters are typically unlikeable, a load of SJW types, the sort who wear t-shirts of bands that were around before they were born (in this case, Joy Division...not even an American band!) and look like an everyday triviality would frighten them half to death, never mind a supernatural monster.

I really don't think a horror franchise is going to be established with this one, unless it's an endless stream of straight to DVD non-events, which is really what this monstrosity should be defined as. *
  • So badly done, it was laughable; but unfortunately also so bad that it couldn't even be considered "so bad it's good." The premise is so half-baked that the plot is doomed from the start; essentially there's a "being" who, upon a person learning his name, gets into that person's subconscious and starts making him/her see and do things... primarily bad things that result in the death of others. The name they picked for this being is "The Bye Bye Man," which is a name that could maybe terrify anyone under the age of 5, but for anyone else sounds ridiculous. Also, the name is pretty limiting because the being can only terrorize English-speaking victims, since I'd assume the name translated to other languages would essentially be "The Goodbye Person," which really wouldn't scare anyone... even 5 or under.

It's an obvious rip-off of "Sinister," but doesn't even offer the cheap jump-scares that movie did. It seems to want to offer some kind of back-story to make it somewhat coherent, but never really does. There's something about "when you see gold coins, he's near," but the coins they show are tarnished silver and look to be the Liberty dollar. Again, kind of limiting... did The Bye Bye Man not exist before that coin was minted? And is he only available in the continental United States? After a housewarming party that inexplicably contains a nonsensical scene of a nighttime baseball match that lasts about 15 seconds, the main characters decide to have a seance (because nothing says "welcome to your new home," better than drunken sports followed by summoning the dead). After the seance, the yawn-inducing supernatural occurrences include characters staring at a black bathrobe hung on the bedroom wall which looks like a hooded figure (what kind of college student wears a hooded black bathrobe... never mind hanging it in the bedroom?), and the female protagonist developing a badly faked cough that seems to appear and disappear for no apparent reason.

The main male protagonist, of course, goes to the local library to do research; however, the pointless scene really only introduces The Sassy Black Lady librarian who is unnaturally interested in this total stranger's quest. She's on-screen only enough time for her to be sassy and black, and then is unceremoniously "passed away" later in the film.

I honestly wish it had been even bad enough to be funny, but honestly it was a boring chore to sit through. Admirably, I think it tries to keep jump-scares to a minimum and focus on the horrific aspect of an outside force making people slowly lose their minds. However, again, the premise and presentation are so weak that it just never has a fighting chance right from the start.

In the words of David Spade's airline steward SNL character, "Ahhhh, buh-bye, man."
  • aw19631 April 2017
    I don't understand the bad reviews this movie has received by those claiming to be horror fans,I think some people just expect way too much from a 90 minute period of time. I started watching horror movies in the very early 1970's,when they were truly bad,so you can imagine how many I've seen in the last 40+ years. The Bye Bye man is one of the better ones I've seen.More of a thriller than a horror,I found the acting solid and felt their was a great chemistry between the three main characters,Cressida Bonas did particularly well in her debut movie and I really enjoyed her performance. The plot was a tad loose but not too bad,tending to concentrate on the three main characters story line rather than boring the watcher with a long drawn out back story,the movie got to the point early and stayed there,which I personally loved about it. The few FX that were needed were well done and the makeup was excellent. All up I'd recommend this movie to any thriller/horror fan and ignore the haters who have forgotten how to enjoy a movie for what it is and have become armchair critics.
  • This film is actually so bad, so really really awful, utterly pathetic, in a strange twisted way it actually, sort of, saves itself (albeit unintentionally).

First question is how on earth did this film get made ?

It is literally so bad it's like a spoof horror of a bad spoof horror doing a spoof of a bad comedy spoof horror.

If (like me) you read the bad reviews, but you have a cineworld card (or equivalent) i.e. You suffer no financial loss in going to see this.

Then go to see this, on the basis it is truly garbage.

If you do, it is hysterical,

I am actually giving this an 8/10 based on I suffered no financial loss buying a ticket to see it (having a cinema card)

That I went to see this expecting garbage and it was so bad it was hilarious.

If you want a laugh go see it.
    I'm sorry but, what?

Okay, the film had potential...LOTS OF IT! A story about this "thing" called, The Bye Bye Man, that whenever you think or say it's name it gets closer and closer to you to kill you, and the fact that it's hard to not think about something you already know of, that can be pretty scary. HOWEVER, this movie did not execute it well!

My first issue was, THE ACTING!!!!!! The only person I could stand was Elliot. Elliot's girlfriend was too much...like it felt like she thought she was in like a high school play or something. It just got to the point where I literally said to myself, "Can they please stop giving this girl lines..." Everyone else is tolerable. Just...that girl...

The writing was pretty awful too! Where's the back story of The Bye Bye Man??? Why whenever he's near you hear coins dropping and hear a train coming...who is this dude? What is he? Where did he come from? Who, what, when, where, and how...nothing made sense. The only "back story" we actually got was of a writer who really was of no real importance at all...

Now, did this movie have scary parts, I mean...sure. But every time something scary would happen, you're pulled back out with either bad acting or bad direction. I hate seeing movies with potential, go to waste...like this movie was just so bad...

Should you watch this, I mean...yes/no. If you're like SUPER BORED, on a road trip trying to pass time, or something along those lines, sure watch this. If you want a film you can enjoy and be scared by, just ignore this movie..
  • This film is why people hate horror today. The acting in this film is shockingly bad. Reactions to such things that would take you back, were like they already had seen it to not be that shocked.

The make up and design of the bye bye man, it was like a decently made Halloween costume you'd do at home than a horror film. The cgi in some scenes... yep. Douglas smith as Elliot was probably the worst actor, especially one certain scene.

There's a shot gun scene, two people shot, zero blood, or even good acting as the victims were shot. It looked more like improv class, and the act was drop like you've been shot by a shotgun.

The entire "don't think it don't say it" and he won't get you is like don't think or dreamnor Freddy Kruger and he can't kill you. Kim's big scene (you'll see it when it happens) sort of made me giggle! It was like a genuine comedy scene and I did that tired slow laugh at it.

If I was to give positives, I'd say, there was about one or two scenes that were good acting.
  • ea_chavarria31 July 2018
    If ir had been marketed as an horror comedy I'd have given it a 10/10... specially after the scenes in the library and of him singing in the car...it was supposedly a serious horror movie though.