User Reviews (90)

• I watched this movie on a Tuesday night, after a long day at work. Sometimes, I believe after a tiring day when you face so many problems on different levels, watching a simple movie where life is easy, people are forgiving and sceneries are warm, is a good way to wrap it up and go to bed with a smile on your face. Although the actors did a great job, some parts of the plot were a little naive and too easy.. Which has nothing to do with the reality of people and life.. Nevertheless I find that these types of movies have another purpose: to calm and sooth the mind, to allow you to feel the rythm and enjoy the music and finally to remember that it is always possible to choose the easy and forgiving way out in life.. It is a matter of choice of what you want to see, to feel, to show and to share..
  • msqua0214 May 2018
    This was truly a feel good movie. A classic love story, with a wonderful story line that hasn't been done 1000 times. It was charming and light hearted yet kept you in the edge of your seat. The story was told in a wonderful way. If you are a sucker for a good love story, this is a it's see.
  • Absolutely loved this movie. What else could one want? Oh yeah.....explosions, quasi top end special effects, over-layered animated scenes...Nope none of that. Just a great movie with good acting and character play about the lessons in life many of us have to learn the hard way. A touching heartfelt goodness of humanity through each of our tribulations. Well Done. This is the kind of movies Hollywood should be making more of.
  • Huge fan of the book and found this movie to be a great adaptation. The cast did a great job and the storyline was done on par with the book. This was one of the first indie romance books I ever read on my tablet and it brings me so much happiness to see this gem get the credit it deserves. Ten glittery stars! Must watch romance, perfect for fans of Nicholas Sparks!
  • alexmaister-3814616 November 2018
    I like it very much . Yeah , I know that we have seem the same story many times but come on guys , if you like this kind of movies(romantic) you will fall in love with movies like that.Very good acting , good plot ... yes, many cliche and at some parts I guess the lines , but I like it.I Just wanted a little bit more country things...Greek99
  • If you're looking for a feel-good, bit of a tear jerker country romance movie, then this is for you! Very much so along the lines of Nichols Sparks romances and that's more than okay by me. No, it's not a blockbuster nor does it stray from a bit of cliche. But does that make it any less enjoyable? No.

I'm not going to write about the plot, the acting etc. I don't need to. This is a feel good movie with some beautiful country music to boot. Give it a go.
  • Forever My Girl Is a wonderful movie about love forgiveness and family. Alex Roe as Liam Page and Jessica Rothe as Josie felt like they had real chemistry and showed a true connection. The star of the movie was Abby Ryder Fortson. She is an amazing young actress , she lights up the screen! I love the humor she brought to the movie! Forever My Girl is a great movie, great acting, can't wait to see it again. It was well placed and very realistic.I loved the ending to the movie, a perfect fit.
  • This isn't the kind of film that I would generally watch but I'm so glad I did. If you want a film that will give you the feels this is it. Everyone in the film acted fantastically and I was gutted when the film ended. I would highly recommend giving it a watch.
    One of the things I like about films is when they pretend to be one story but are another. I think that's why I'm one of the minority of people that really liked Stakeland, a coming-of-age story pretending to be a zombie horror film. And so it is with that in mind that I say I liked this film because it was not about romance it was about healing.

The main character is an awful person. As he puts it himself at one point is he not a "fully fledged adult". He got caught up in a world which doesn't care much about individual people as long as they bring in the money. That doesn't make him bad at heart, but you are what you do. So when he comes back to his home town through an accident of circumstance he knows that he doesn't belong. He is completely lost.

Where this movie gets it right is by focusing on how others forgive him when really the main plot arc is in how he is trying to forgive himself. The movie pretends to be one about rebuilding relationships, his ex, his dad, his daughter - but really it is about him coming to terms with his own actions and taking responsibility. He grows as a person.

The actors in this film do a great job as well, remaining convincing in their roles the whole way through. They are all a little inconsistent, as people are, whilst remaining true to their characters. The show is stolen by the little girl - she delivers perfectly. Many children when they act seem to be taught to act like adults with childlike qualities, but her fidgety stumbling nature reminds me of my niece a lot.

There are two parts of this film that I think let it down. It is typical in these romantic films to have an act 3 breakup to then have the final resolution to close the film. This bit of the film felt forced, and I would have liked to have seen them take a different route here. It would also have helped it stand out by subverting people's expectations. But the main mistake I think they made was in giving the main character a get-out-of-jail clause in having him damaged by his mother's death. In particular the scene where he opens his heart to his dad only to have his dad apologise back ruined much of the plot of the film - it reduced the level of healing that he undertook by making it so that he wasn't such a bad person. This is too common a trope in films, that people are only bad because of a trauma in childhood that made them that way. We could have just skipped that part and focused on him just having made some crappy decisions that made him a bad guy and that would have made the healing all the more important.

That said the film is good throughout and not only worth watching, but probably worth a rewatch, if only to hear about the stats on convertibles.
  • Greetings again from the darkness. To determine if this is your type of movie, you need only answer one question: Are you a Nicholas Sparks fan? Even though this is based on a novel by Heidi McLaughlin and not Nicholas Sparks, no normal person would be able to tell the difference, as the formula and story structure is very familiar (even the marketing campaign capitalizes on this). Perhaps that is the key to the success of movies like this - the stories are like a warm, comfy blanket to some folks.

Picturesque (and fictional) St Augustine, Louisiana is the setting for the love story of Liam and Josie. Things get off to a rocky start as the jilted bride is stranded on her wedding day. The film jumps ahead 8 years and we find that Liam (Alex Roe, THE 5TH WAVE) is now a country music superstar with a drinking problem and a duct-taped flip phone, while Josie (Jessica Rothe, HAPPY DEATH DAY) is a successful business owner and single mom. It's at this point where you could most assuredly guess what happens next, as predictability and commitment to the formula are the mission.

Bethany Ashton Wolf is the writer/director and her film benefits from the presence of star-in-the-making Alex Roe and the precocious Abby Ryder Fortson as Josie's daughter. Mr. Roe spends much of the movie in various stages of sweat (I guess that's supposed to be sexy?), but the camera loves him and he has a unique approach that sets him apart from the endless line of pretty boy actors. Young Miss Fortson has already played the daughter of ANT-MAN and she has the ability to come off as normal kid, rather than an actress playing a kid.

John Benjamin Hickey (Liam's dad), Gillian Vigman (publicist), Tyler Riggs (Josie's brother), and Peter Cambor (Liam's agent) fill the supporting roles, and it's Travis Tritt who adds an all-too-brief touch of authenticity to the music and local saloon. The movie is exactly what it portends to be ... nothing more, nothing less. If it's to your taste, it'll be that soft comforter that brings you serenity. If it's not your style, it will likely be as itchy and scratchy as a new wool horse blanket.
  • rutzelb25 April 2018
    Here's the thing: Josie (Jessica Rothe) is left at the Alter by Liam Page (Alex Roth). Now 8-years later we see that Liam Page is a big Country Music Star. He decides to return to his home town. Is it because he realizes he still loves Josie? Oh, no. He sees on TV that his best friend was killed in a car accident and that's why he goes. Now while there he, of course, runs into Josie and she wants nothing to do with him. (Of course, we don't believe that) But here's the other thing: he finds out he has a daughter named Billy (Abby Ryder Fortson) who is 7-yrs old. For once his head is clear. Let the games begin.

Now we know that Josie still loves Liam and Liam still loves Josie. Another thing: Billy figures out that Liam is her father and wants to get to know him. Josie isn't too sure about all this, but is willing to give it a try. So we know, in time, this will all work out. That is until something happens to Billy. Liam blames himself and goes away..... again.

Notables: John Benjamin Hickey as Pastor Brian, Liam's father; Tyler Riggs as Jake, Josie's brother who doesn't like Liam; Peter Cambor as Sam, Liam's manager, who convinces Liam to follow his heart; Travis Tritt as Walt, a singer in a bar Liam goes to.

It was surprising to hear Billy talk like she was wise beyond her years, but that is what we have and, actually, she was pretty good. And we see that she has a musical talent no one knew about.

The acting all around is very good as was the music especially the last song. This is slow paced, but I think that was needed. (Hey, you can't rush these things)

We are all waiting for the reason Liam left Josie at the Alter. And yes, it's kind of a stretch but it is what we have.

This is a very good love story , but I did notice one thing, one GLARING thing: at no time did Liam or Jose say, "I love you." We just have to read into it, and I am sure we will. (Yes, we will) (7/10)

Violence: No. Sex: No. Nudity: No. Humor: Yes. Language: No. Rating: B
  • judemedina18 August 2018
    I'm one of those guys that grew up in a house full of women so growing up as a child and even as a young adult in my early 20s I was forced to watch movies like The Notebook Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and all those chick flick romance movies that I found no interest in whatsoever and probably said many times I'll never watch one of those movies again then I saw the commercial for this movie and said that looks stupid but one night I got bored and rented it anyways and after watching this all I'm going to say is I don't know how someone can get through this movie without smiling in joy/wanting to cry because this movie will take you on a roller coaster ride and I'll give it a 10 out of 10 all day long I'm glad I rented this movie
  • 'FOREVER MY GIRL': Two and a Half Stars (Out of Five)

A romantic drama about a country superstar that returns to his hometown, after being gone for eight years, and reunites with the former bride he left behind at the altar. The film stars Alex Roe, Jessica Rothe, John Benjamin Hickey, Abby Ryder Fortson, Travis Tritt and Judith Hoag. It was written and directed by Bethany Ashton Wolf, and it's received mostly negative reviews from critics. I found it to be better than I expected it to be at least.

Liam Page (Roe) was a rising country star who was about to become famous, and marry his high school sweetheart Josie (Rothe), when he decided to leave his small town for good, and Josie at the altar. After eight years of partying, drugs, and fame, Liam decides to return home when his former best friend dies. Once he's home he runs into Josie, and everyone else he left behind. Lots of drama of course erupts from his visit.

The movie is a pretty clichéd, feel good romantic family film (with lots of country music). It's the type of movie I usually hate, but I found this one to be a little more interesting than some (because of it's commentary on fame primarily). I also think it's pretty well acted, for what it is, and not too overly cheesy or melodramatic. It's of course all of those bad things as well, but it's a little better made than most (and what I had expected it to be).
  • I have been waiting months for this film, and I loved it. The film was engaging from beginning to end. I am going to see it again tomorrow and on Tuesday. My adult daughter went with me, and she thought it was really good, and she originally did not want to go. She is going again tomorrow with me. If for no other reason, go for the music, the child Billy and Alex Roe, who is so attractive.
  • amymckay-0383929 July 2018
    A clean good movie. I loved it! Don't listen to the critics. My whole family loved it.
  • Yeah.The story is clichéd.But it's so nice to watch and it gives a cool feel.There are plenty of Rom-Coms releasing and getting overrated response from critics.But these types of movies with soul are getting negative reports.I can't understand why.A warm movie to enjoy.
  • hz-442053 December 2018
    Ever watch a movie you knew nothing about that captivated you for the entire length of the movie. The plot was good, but the daughter was phenomenal and brought a smile to your face every time she was involved in a scene. A great family movie, watch it, you won't be disappointed.
  • There are many movies that resembles this story yet this one is something different. Very genuine acting from all the performers and the story is beautiful. nothing extra ordinary but a simple urban story of a dad finding and discovering his love for his daughter. No major twist but simply put the struggles and coming on between the bonding of families. loved it.
  • This movie was great...it's a story of forgiveness, love, and family. honestly, definitely caused some tears at the end for me, but honestly that isn't unusual for me when it comes to movies/shows/pretty much anything that regards any kind of romance. It had a little bit of a Disney channel vibe, which isn't bad nothing wrong with Disney, but it's more accurately described as something you can expect to see on Hallmark channel, and I will be watching it and then watching it again and again, and probably again. It's definitely predictable, but I just like a good, sweet, happy movie every now and then and this is definitely one of those. However, albeit my raving review, I was left with a couple of lingering questions that I'm afraid are going to haunt me forever. 1) Did the old ladies ever get out of the Church? and 2) What happened to the burgers???? Did they burn? Were they eaten?? Somebody PLZ calm my curious mind.
  • Wow what a beautiful story bought tears to my eyes. This is worth the watch had me laughing and crying. It's a story that's you wouldn't think about, grief and How we all deal in different ways aswell as a beautiful love story.
  • Rae5119 November 2018
    Really sweet, albeit, predictable but lovely film. Feel-good.
  • Excellent acting and music. Story of love, internal struggle and forgiveness and doing life. Quite moving. The phone things was so real to life. I do the same thing.
    Our take: Not worth the time. Change the channel when it ends up where it belongs, on the Hallmark Channel. Post credit scene? No.

Say what you want about Nicholas Sparks movies, but at least they were good movies. Even the Hallmark Channel makes some decent films. And comparing Forever My Girl to either is an insult to Nicholas Sparks, the Hallmark Channel, and to romance movies in general.

The movie is emotionally bankrupt, stars C-list talent you've never heard of for a reason, and had the plot of a bad Lifetime movie that you'd turn off after five minutes. No part of the film is believable, from the chemistry to Southern accents to Roe's eyebrows.

Billy (Abby Ryder Fortson) was the best part of the movie, but unbelievable as a seven-year-old. She provided a good amount of comedic relief that was desperately needed, but her dialogue at times seemed to be pulled straight from The Big Bang Theory's Sheldon Cooper.

We're all for cliché, mindless, and poorly-acted romance movies, don't get us wrong. We both really loved Netflix's holiday offerings, for example. And we miss Nicholas Sparks movies because they were well-written, had good talent, and weren't cringe-worthy in their execution. But if you plan to make a movie, pay this much to market it, and have to spend money on the rights to what seems like a really crappy young adult book series for source material, the result should be a lot more fulfilling than this mess.

Featuring: A genetically impossible child (we know how Punnett squares work).
  • trinaboice11 April 2018
    Grade: C-

In a Nutshell: This toe-tapping, sugary chick flick is based on a New York Times best-selling novel by Heidi McLaughlin. Heidi even appears in the funeral scene as an Extra.

It sure feels like a formulaic Nicholas Spark movie or something you'd see on the Hallmark channel, although it's not nearly as good.

Tips for parents: No profanity. Liam gets drunk. Billy informs Liam about all of the dangers of convertibles. While they're true, I still drive my convertible and love it. Talk of pre-marital relations Liam teaches his daughter, "Sometimes you just need to let go and live on the wild side." How do you feel about that advice? Young rom-com fan girls will probably like the movie.

Uplifting theme: Your choices will define you. Family Community Loyalty Forgiveness

Things I liked: Abby Ryder Fortson, who plays the precocious Billy, is adorable. She did a really great job, although her lines are much more advanced than what they should be for her age. If you liked Jessica Rothe in Happy Death Day, you'll be happy to see a softer side of her in this. The cast includes Alex Roe, John Benjami Hickey, Abby Ryder Forstson, and Judith Hoag, with a special cameo by Travis Tritt, who sings the original song, "Slowin' Down." The small Louisiana town of St. Augustine is picturesque and charming, but actually filmed in Georgia. I lived in Alpharetta, Georgia for 15 years! I absolutely loved the Southern Hospitality and magical fireflies. What I hated was the humidity and the fire ants! I was expecting a slap to the face, but the stomach punch was much better. Ha ha It was directed by a woman, Bethany Ashton Wolf. Country music fans will enjoy the soundtrack.

Things I didn't like: The protagonist, Liam Page (Alex Roe), is not very likable. He easily gets forgiven for being such a jerk to everyone, not just to Josie. He never really gives a good reason for humiliating and leaving her on their wedding day. He clearly has a drinking problem, but it's never addressed in the movie...ever. Some pretty terrible Southern accents. Very slow moving. What ever happened to the burgers? Ultimately, it's pretty forgettable. Yeah, sure, it's easy to forgive someone who is rich and famous, but what if Liam had become a homeless bum with nothing to offer Josie? Fans of the book may be thrown by the fact that Josie and Liam have a son in the book, but a daughter in the movie.

Funny Lines: "I said I wanted to meet him, but I never said I'd be easy on him." - Billy
  • I'm starting to enjoy country movies more and more. They have that thing that make me dive deep into the story and actually feel what the characters are communicating. I love the fact that their story can unfold into such beautiful creations, never seen in other genres. Speaking about this one, it's a mixture of love, compassion and forgiveness. It teaches us the power of "letting go" and "going forward". I felt completely relaxed. It's a must see!