• Advertised as an open-world fps, Homefront: The Revolution plays more like a shooty Assassin's Creed game (sans wall-climbing): stealth, take strongholds, fight for a few minutes, then run, hide, and wait for the alarm to dissipate before getting back to it. Stunning graphics, decent world design and story are marred by repeated activities, heavily re-used character models and numerous minor complaints. If you don't mind a little grind, it is a 7/10 and worth a purchase at $10 or less. Total size on my hard drive (game + story DLC): 69.2 GB

++ Stunning graphics, courtesy of Cryengine.

+ Detailed environments. Smoke, dust, rubble, garbage, worn brick. Even house interiors (seen through windows) are highly detailed.

+ Secret routes. Look for ways up and around obstacles. A climb up scaffolding can provide access to a building's interior - and a secret stash of supplies. Stuff like this is everywhere. Also applies to Stronghold takeovers; there is always more than one entrance.

+ Hit-and-run gameplay reminiscent of the old Assassin's Creed games. Brady doesn't have much health; pitched battles are suicide. Get in, hit your target, get out, and (if an alarm was raised), hide.

+ The more territory you take from the enemy, the more Resistance NPCs spawn in a district (who will provide combat support). The more territory you take, the more brazen your actions can become.

+ I loved the massive aerial drones patrolling the districts. If its seeker beam finds you, you are done for. 20-30 enemies will immediately spawn (with mech backup). Forced me to move carefully and stick to buildings and cover, even in wide-open zones.

+ Motorcycle through the debris. Don't want to be stealthy? Maybe speed is more your style. Bikes are everywhere, and make rapid travel a snap.

+ Mod your weapons. Simple and easy to understand. Completely change the way a weapon functions with a few quick clicks.

+/- Story does nothing unique, but is well-told.

+/- Story DLC are excellent, though short. Recommended if you can get them cheap. Aftermath and Beyond the Walls conclude protagonist Brady's story; The Voice of Freedom is a brief prequel starring another character.

+/- Not a massive sandbox open world. Each district is its own area, with loading screens connecting them.

+/- Recruit Resistance NPCs to help with a fight. Nice in theory, but their bad AI results in them dying almost immediately.

+/- Silent protagonist in the main campaign, but not in the DLC. Odd.

+/- Optimization is still meh. Max settings @1080p saw an average of 40-50fps on my RX 470, which isn't bad (this is CryEngine we're talking about).

+/- Soundtrack works. Nothing special. But kudos for having different combat and ambient themes for different districts.

+/- Some grind involved. Same activities and enemies in every district. This puts the focus on the level design (which is excellent), but it can feel same-y after while.

• Multiplayer is dead. If you have some friends, it will still work.

• Starts badly. The opening doesn't make a good first impression - of either mechanics or characters - and the first two districts underwhelm as well.

• If not for Brady's lack of health, game is too easy.

• Pitched battles are generally a bad idea, but if you can find a choke point, all the enemies will come funneling through one by one.

• No take-back. We spend the entire game taking installations from the KPA, and never once (outside of story missions) do they try to reclaim anything - not a stronghold, not an outpost, nothing.

• Re-used NPC character models. Not uncommon in a big sandbox game, but particularly egregious here.

• Not enough interaction with people. They're the ones we're doing all of this for, and the best we ever get is having a fellow Resistance member say, "You're doing great out there, Brady." At least give me something, some personal stories told through exploring the environment (since we're doing that anyway). Each district already has visual character; what of the character of the people who live there? The closest the game comes to doing this is in the collaborator district.

• Flashpoints are the same activities repeated over and over. Defend a stash, or take out a "duster" launch site, take out some snipers. It's great that the task of taking over the district is broken up with, "Hurry here, folks are under attack!" But it all starts to feel the same.

Despite its faults, I had a lot of fun here. Perhaps I was simply fortunate not to play it at release, but now, this is a competent fps game with a unique setting and gloriously detailed visuals. While not quite as packed with activities as my favorite game of revolt (Red Faction: Guerrilla), Homefront: The Revolution provides far more than its mixed reputation promises. Recommended, and I hope the new owners of Deep Silver, THQNordic, recognize this franchise's potential as a guerrilla warfare fps game.
    This game is basically a sequel and a soft reboot to the original Homefront game years ago. In this game North Korea or the "Norks" invade America but in this game they end up selling these smartphones and tablets to America and we buy them. They end up having this back door to invade America with the Korean People's Army (KPA). Though if this ever happened we would never touch what North Korea had since they are thought to hate America at a young age. Also if North Korea tried to invade America they wouldn't since they couldn't supply their armed forces for any extend occupation. This almost feels like the game wants the enemy to be China but can't since China is where most of the profit goes from, at least from movies and video games.

When the game starts it takes place in Boston where your main character Ethan Brady, and these resistance fighters get ambushed. In this interrogation scene this guy says he has a "superpower" where he just points and shoots. Though if he really wanted to, he would shoot the resistance fighters himself. I also livestreamed when I first started this game on the PS4 as well if you want to see it yourself and will show it at the end. After this scene where this guys kills your other fighters, the leader of the resistance frees you and helps you try to stop the Norks after he ends up badly hurt and captured.

Along the way when you meet up the resistance you almost get tortured, since the hero you play is basically mute. Then this other leader and doctor try to help you in this subway that wasn't on the maps. You then get a gun and later a bunch of other guns that you can take apart and make other ones. After you do these side missions you can then get points to modify your guns. Though it ends up being poorly balanced when you liberate more and more parts of Boston.

The story feels a bit generic and the resistance fighters at times can't seem to control themselves. That just feels like that lack of self control was the reason this America gave up their freedom for a bunch of tablets and smartphones and might happen today. At the end you can't go back to liberate the other districts and the ending feels like the "Norks" could just nuke Boston at the end and go on to other cites. There is some DLC after the main story is over but it feels like the damage is already done after all the grinding and bad story.
  • The one thing Homefront has going for it is the visual presentation. The cities and environments are very well made and detailed though basically everything else is not so great. Homefront lacks basic gameplay settings. (Ex. Lack of changing ADS sensitivity). This is a real problem as the ADS sensitivity does not change very much which means your turning speed may be slow but your aiming speed is incredibly fast which makes shooting very difficult. The on the fly modifying of guns is interesting but their is just not enough variety to keep it interesting. The story is prettt bad with basic and repetitive missions which sometimes give little to no instruction on what you're suppose to be doing or where to go. The gameplay and shooting feels wonky and feels as if it wasn't made for console. I have heard it's better on PC but I cannot be sure. I do not reccomend unless very VERY cheap.
    Es mi desesperante te matan de las formas estúpidas
  • southdavid12 November 2018
    It's a good couple of years since the disastrous release of "Homefront: The Revolution" was first released and though things have improved and the game has at least been patched enough to be playable - little could be done about the boring repetitive gameplay that caused me to eventually give up on it well before the end of the story.

Playing as Ethan Brady, a member of the American resistance fighting back against North Korean invaders in a somewhat desolate future Philadelphia. The game works with you slowly liberating city blocks in various regions of Philadelphia at which point that locations resources and freedom fighters become available to you as an asset. Winning over the block takes the form of one of a few mission types, sometimes simply clearing out the enemy soldiers is enough, but occasionally there is a need to reprogram a security system, or take possession of a radio. Here's where the real problem is, there isn't anything like enough variety in these for an entertaining game - the first section of town uses each of these twice and though it improves a bit as the game progresses, not by enough. I feel like the game would have been better with a more structured cinematic narrative rather than the open world they decided on. Much of the game is spend wandering from place to place, as death pushes you back to the most recent safe house. It works quite hard to give the illusion of lots to do, but really the "jobs" aspect of it, little bonuses offered for doing something generally end up with you using the camera phone to photography 10 of . . . whatever, for a cash bonus. (Annoyingly - these reset each time you start the game too, so the whole job needs to be done in one sitting). On top of that, the gunplay and controls don't sit particularly well, they aren't horrible but they're nothing special either. I often struggled to identify friend from foe in the game too, particularly at night.

The gun customisation is well done, with attachments swappable around different base guns, and the ability to rejig firearms into significantly difficult weapons. The game is pretty free and easy with money too, so establishing an armoury fairly quickly is easily done. It looks good, the crytek engine put to good use and though samey the desolate areas look decent.

It's just too dull in today's AAA gaming market to warrant you spending your time on it. Gunplay is better in the "Destiny" and "Call of Duty" series and open world is done better in "Assassins Creed" and "Fallout" games. Life's too short.
  • Greetings from Lithuania.

"Homefront: The Revolution" (2016) is a sequel to one of the most marketed, hyped and eventually disappointing games of the last decade "Homefront". I played the first one, and it was an OK game. But this one i liked much more. Sure the game needed to be polished a lot, this what we got is a very rough game - i mean graphics won't blow you away, shooting mechanics aren't the best in FPS market. But the story was pretty good. Open world was very descent, there are a lot of activities that lead you to one goal - to liberate Philadelphia. And in that it succeeded. Every weapon you use can be modified in a very interesting way. There are useful gadgets and tools to make your life easier as well.

Overall, i picked up "Homefront: The Revolution" for a few dollars because it was so cheap but i heard the game was pretty bad, anyway i thought i will give it a shot. At the end i did surprise me of how actually good and sometimes even pretty great it was. I also really enjoyed "Resistance" mode where you co-op with other player and do some missions - there is a pretty deep customization system and progress - but there is one issue - no one plays it! That is very sad because this game is really good if you give it a chance.