• If you read the reviews, you could get the impression that the main flaw of the Playmobil movie is the fact that it's not the Lego movies. Yes, thank you, we know that.

This movie does NOT try to be a clone of the Lego movies. Strangely, most reviews I have read seem to have a problem with that. The Playmobil movie is not full of meta jokes or references to other movies. The movie does not make fun of the quirks of old Playmobil sets. It's not self-aware. The characters don't know that they are toys. The fairy godmother behaves exactly like a fairy godmother; she's not behaving oddly or making sarcastic jokes. If you are expecting all those things, you are simply in the wrong movie.

The Playmobil movie is exclusively targeting children, not adolescents or adults. From this point of view, it's a solid movie. The 3D animation looks a bit outdated but it brings very well the look and feel of the Playmobil toys to the big screen. The story is okay but I think it would have been better to spend more time on the characters instead of rushing through the different sceneries. There are locations that don't contribute anything to the story (e.g. the scene with the lava and the dinosaurs on the road), while potentially interesting characters like the fairy only have a short appearance. But again, that's me as an adult overanalyzing a children movie. Children will probably enjoy to see all their favourite Playmobil themes.
  • bugs-796208 December 2019
    I find it ridiculous how many critics trashed this movie. I went into this film with very very low expectations, like Chicken Little levels. But its accually a cute film. It is no Finding Nemo, but a quick paced little story of adventure. It moves quickly and kept my kids attention. There were more moments where I thought this was really good. Jim Gaffigan did a great job. It is a musical with a lot of action. As a Dad who is a classic film buff I would watch this again and yet again the critics are aweful. Its not Lego movie, but it is harmless fun. On top of that the movie is $5 per ticket due to an experimental pricing experiment. Please do yourself a favor at this price, go see this with the family. And ignore the critics who can this but throw high numbers at whatever Disney throws up.
  • Obviously you are going to compare this to the Lego movies and yes it very similar but it is still a fun film. It has a good story and the live action framing at the beginning and end of the film serves it well. in-fact the framing does point the way to a potential sequel that could flip the story round. I do have one negative thing to say, the songs do derail the film in places but fortunately the film quickly recovers so no harm done.
  • Since this is a film about Playmobil, you can't expect anything else than a promotion of their toys. But still the story is reasonable, the action is good, the comedy is funny (for the target age group) and the visual effects are good.

Go see it without unreasonable expectations and let yourself be entertained. If your kids like playing with Playmobil, then they'll like watching this film.
  • gavfresh19 August 2019
    My first review! But I couldn't not...I'm 42 male and actually make films myself and yes this is not written to take you on deep inner journeys or will it make you ponder life and will it win Oscar's no..but after seeing such bad reviews and from critics, is it not about time we let the kids review kids films. I asked my daughters 12, 9 and son 5 what they thought after the cinema and they really enjoyed it. So my 6/10 is from them!
  • I really don't understand the bad ratings for the movie on this site. I went to see the movie with my son and was delighted. Sure, the songs don't hold up with Disney songs, but overall the movie was fun, entertaining and very well made. Recommended family movie!
  • I was able to see this at the Annecy Festival in France. I went in expecting that it would try to be the Lego Movie with it's meta-humor and rapid fire pop culture references, but it wasn't. This movie was completely different than Lego. The only thing they share in common is that they're both based on toys.

"Playmobil" is a story about a brother and sister who get sent into another dimension, one that looks just like the Playmobil toys the little brother plays with.

The movie is funny, it's cute, it's got tons of great songs. Definitely a movie for the family to enjoy!
  • My expectations for Playmobil: The Movie were very low, and I still thought this was a very weak movie. The best thing going for this movie is the Animation style. There is at least a good amount of effort put into it and it's not an ugly movie from that point of view. I thought the scenes outside the Playmobil universe were really awful like that kid who was bad at acting. The Playmobil universe stuff fairs a tiny bit better, but it was still very predictable and basically felt like a very watered down Lego Movie, with almost all of the jokes falling flat. The movie being a Musical did catch me off guard and I respect them trying, but honestly all the songs are forgettable. There's not really any memorable characters or locations either, which doesn't help alleviate the blandness at all.

Is Playmobil: The Movie the worst thing you could watch? Certainly not. However, the kids in my cinema were not laughing all that much in this movie, and the adults just didn't seem to be all that engaged watching this movie at all. This is a very straightforward story and at least the plot doesn't have too much pointless filler like some other Animated movies I've seen this year like The Queen's Corgi and The Secret Life of Pets 2. However, with The Angry Birds Movie 2 out at the same time, I'd feel that one is the better watch out of the two as the kids were having a great time watching that movie compared to Playmobil. In all honestly, I was kind of hoping Playmobil: The Movie might have been a decent Animated movie to watch, but sadly it's just a bit of a bore.

• The film is very formulaic and essentially one big advert for playmobil. Despite that I did just about enjoy it given it had just about enough laughs and a crazy enough storyline to keep me involved as an adult. I imagine young kids would enjoy it even more also. Not the worst kids film you'll see although certainly not the best your kids will enjoy it and you won't completely want to tear your hair out so worth a family trip out on a rainy day.
  • benahunt26 October 2019
    Mixed thoughts, I found a few scenes funny, and it's got well done animation and live action but it's just a dull rip off of the Lego Movie so nothing original
    Comparisons will be made between the Lego movie and this movie, seems inevitable, and all reviews I have seen so far have done just that. This is a toy movie yes, but a toy movie for KIDS, it's not targeted at adults. My kids 5, 7, and 9 really enjoyed this movie. They are boys and have no interest in seeing Frozen (not to say frozen is girl exclusive - my kids just arent sharting their pants at the release of the big #2 movie) so playmobile it was as a pre Christmas movie treat. They really enjoyed it. Thought the viking boy, flying glitter horses and dino with wings were hilarious and amazing, and it was well paced. The singing was fine, not OTT but great musical voice actors - it was a solid kids movie. I'm also glad I didn't see any trailers before hand, because playing up the Daniel Radcliff character would have left me disappointed. Going in blind was the best way to go, recommend to anyone with kids under 10.
  • I caught a screening of this movie at the Annecy Film Festival. I was expecting something like the Lego movie with rapid fire pop culture references and a throw anything at the wall attitude.

But this movie was way different than those Lego movies. It's a cute story about a brother and sister that are sent to a Playmobil world. The sister is a regular person, but the little brother gets to be a big, tough guy viking.

This movie was really cute. And all the songs were great. Don't go in thinking it's going to be like Lego. It's definitely got a different feeling throughout. Kids will love it and parents won't be bored when watching it with them.
  • Charming, lovable, funny, good songs. I had low expectations, but this is a nice movie for kids. Very enjoyable. I have no idea what the critics were waiting for, but this is a worth watching movie for all the family.
  • It's definitely not as witty as #TheLegoMovie, but #PlaymobilTheMovie is a colorful mix between a musical animation and live action, perfect for kids under double digits.

THINGS I LIKED:

I like Anya Taylor-Joy and thought she did a great job. There were, however, a few times when she said her lines so fast that I couldn't understand what she said. The talented musical cast includes Meghan Trainor, Adam Lambert, Anya Taylor-Joy. Other non-singing highlights include Daniel Radcliffe and Kenan Thompson. This is Daniel Radcliffe's first animated film. Comedian Jim Gaffigan! Yes! I just wrote in my recent movie review of THEM THAT FOLLOW that it always catches me off guard when I see him in a serious drama. He always does a great job in drama or comedy. Now he can add "musical" to his filmography. He has a fantastic voice for animation and has the funniest lines in the movie. Gabriel Bateman does a good job as live action and voice talent. It was cute to see a burly Viking with a little kid voice. Parents will appreciate the female "Jabba the Hut" character from the original Star Wars: A New Hope. Kids will enjoy the variety of environments and lands.

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE:

It doesn't have the humor and zip that the Lego movies have. The songs are enjoyable but not very memorable. Some of the voices don't quite match what the characters look like. More punchy humor would have helped.

TIPS FOR PARENTS:

There is a sad moment when people die, although you don't see it happen. A boy says that something "sucks" and his sister says, "Language!" A boy and his sister play with some Playmobil figures. Your kids are probably going to want to buy some. This movie is filled with merchandising. A boy says tattoos are cool. Fighting among Playmobil characters. A character drinks alcohol. Toys in danger. Your kids may want a passport.

You can read the rest of my review at Movie Review Mom.
  • vinceshayer25 July 2020
    Why do kids movies always have to start with dead parents.
  • I didn't have particularly high hopes for this film and, like many others, thought it might be an attempt to copy the Lego movies. I was wrong.

It has a good, solid story and is really fun for kids, and adults.

The animation is really good and it certainly does its job at selling Playmobil as now I want to go out and buy my son more of it.

Obviously, it's not perfect so what are the downsides?

Well, the music is a bit jarring in places. The Meghan Trainor bits especially grate. That said, if you can ignore the Autotune pop nightmare the. You shouldn't let it ruin the whole film. Adam Lambert is great in it and has an enjoyable song too.

The other issue is the rating. I watched this with my 3 year old and some of the content I didn't expect for a U. There is a lot of talk, and songs about killing, torture and fighting. Not an issue for older kids but probably a bit much for the under 7s.

All in all I thought this was an enjoyable kids film that well worth a watch.
  • I wasn't holding high hopes for this film but I was pleasantly surprised. The film is completely different to the Lego movie, it's just a kids adventure film with a very light hearted vibe but rattles along at a really good speed.

There are plenty of laughs for adults as well which is always great in a kids film, as is no lulls for kids to get bored. The premise of the story is light but the characters are good and amusing.

It seems to have fallen between stools as to whether it's a musical, it has a few songs but not that many to make it a fully fledged musical.

I was really surprised to see the bad reviews, this is the best kids film I have seen for a while.
  • This film tells the adventure of two youngsters in Playmobil land.

The animation is good, and the story actually is quite fun. There are lots of fantasy themed lands, and they are visually appealing. I think it is a good adventure for young children. It is a pity that it will be in the shadow of "The Lego Movie".
  • laurengaxha17 August 2019
    This film was good! My 4 year old loved it all the way through
  • tarabhoola5 August 2019
    Really enjoyed a family screening of Playmobil the Movie over the weekend. Full of fun characters from the world of Playmobil working together to save the day. Fantasy and magic had the little ones around us enraptured and engaged.
  • Annoying,pandering and generic blur of motion that has no reason to exist
  • dotternetta11 December 2019
    Our kids (3 and 6 yo), movie experts, love this movie. And I, 44, also enjoy it, even after 3 times watching it. Give it a shot!
  • doctorteem7 December 2019
    Just an hourt long commercial for Playmobil. They ought to pay people to see it
  • ryan-726857 December 2019
    About as bland and boring as getting Playmobil toys when you really wanted Legos.
    Children's animated adventure, introduced with a short live action backstory where Marla (a teenage girl) gets her own passport and wants to travel. Late one evening Marla is babysitting Charlie (her brother), there's a knock at the door, and the police are there. We realise their parents have been in a tragic road accident.

The plot jumps forward 4 years and Marla is responsible for Charlie, her traveling ambition has been shelved. Charlie has a squabble with Marla and runs off, Marla is able to track his whereabouts via a phone app. Marla finds Charlie at a games convention and they are both sucked into a colourful, animated Playmobil adventure.

They get separated, the plot switches to a rescue mission involving several characters in different action and chase scenes with some musical numbers.

This is aimed at very young audience, the movie won't appeal much to parents, especially as there are much better Lego movies to compare with.

I laughed twice. Mya (our granddaughter) liked it, she's 9 years old. Stay in your seats for a short post credit scene, taster to a potential for a sequel.