• sherryminou0725 April 2015
    I've noticed an influx of so called "Cozy Mysteries" in print, being churned out by the dozens. They all have one thing in common....they all work by a formula and don't need much imagination to figure things out.

I've read that this one is based on such a book series.

While the actresses and actors are decent enough and somewhat funny, it's way too predictable. Heroine gets involved in a mystery (usually a murder), and seems to have a knack to getting herself into trouble, usually with the real killer and the law. While traipsing thru the evidence, which the police obviously overlook, she gets the bad guy. End of story.

The scenery is gorgeous, the actors are all attractive but the movie lacks depth. It also lacks a real identity. Since this is on the Hallmark Channel, I don't expect great drama, but they have made better mysteries based on books.

I love mysteries and read them all the time. I also watch them. This one is just too lightweight for me. Someone wrote that there's just too much "cute" in this movie. I have to agree. It's also annoying that the heroine, Aurora, doesn't give a second thought that this was a real person who was murdered. And the skull of a real person she carries around.
    Here we have yet another movie made in Canada, pretending to be the United States.

There's also the star, a 39 year-old woman, pretending to be 17, and a good detective.

Everyone in this movie acts other-worldly "Cute," including the men. The entire upper middle-class town is just too perky and cute. The predominately white folks have immaculately clean homes and gardens. They posture, deliver perky lines and act like the Stepford wives and husbands. There's not a bit of clutter in any of their homes (or someone would mistake it for a real town and not a movie set.

With the cute name of "Aurora Teagarden", she has to be called something cuter, so call her "Roe." She's something of an older and plumper Barbie doll with unsuitable clothing for a mature woman her age, perfect makeup and a beautifully made up Braid. At one point she buys a dreary green-colored dress which clings to her stomach and between her legs. Everyone who sees her goggles at her in this drab dress and gives her lavish praise on how good she looks! At this point my daughter, age 13, practically fell on the floor laughing.

The police force is so stupid that it takes the bumbling of an amateur to find the real killer. Of course it's because she breaks multiple laws, such as breaking-and-entering and tampering with evidence. She even plants some. Everyone she knows warns her not to get involved but she gives off a sweet smile and totally ignores good advice.

So what to do? Use evidence as "bait" to trap the killer.

Not to worry....it's a Cozy mystery and she'll be back. Otherwise, it would stop being cute (and remotely realistic).
    Aside from a dead body or two, this series is on the conservative side and fun to watch. I like the lead actress even if the writing isn't sherlock holmes. One thing I hope they will fix is the overly critical (and somewhat irritating mother). Love the actress who plays the mother but her character gets annoying due to all the snide remarks toward her daughter, who has a real mind for crime! More fun to see mom join in with the murders club and find a new angle with mother/daughter IMO. Worth watching.
    Okay I am well aware that I am not the demographic for this film. I also had very meagre expectations given it is a Hallmark film, stars Candace Cameron-Bure, and was being turned into a Hallmark series. Those things in and of itself don't make this a bad film. Hallmark can be entertaining in a very cheesy way. I watched this with my 70+ year old mother because I knew it would be squeaky clean and perhaps fun. Clean yes but this was the furthest thing from fun. The film had no chemistry anywhere. It was plainly dull, made no sense and by the time the "mystery" was unravelling, I literally didn't care. I couldn't even tell you the ending now because it was completely and utterly forgettable. It is quite simply a miracle that this sort of D-Movie making gets made and watched and serialized. Its silly. I'm desperately trying to find some good points because I am all for clean movies that are for certain demographics but there just wasn't anything enjoyable about this at all. I'm actually amazing that this came from a series written by Charlaine Harris, while I've never read anything from her, this doesn't seem to fit the style.

I like Candace Cameron-Bure, I'm a HUGE Full House fan but I've never really seen her in much else. She does have some chemistry but this role is so silly and simple that she can't seem to really give it enough to make it captivating. The best thing I can say is that she is the highlight of this cast because literally everyone else is completely and utterly forgettable. The most talented name in the group is Marilu Henner and she is completely underused as Cameron-Bure's mother. Another reviewer said that they were setting up these characters for future instalments but I didn't see any set up here. This was a film made with the absolute bare minimum in everything. They squeaked by and squeaked it out to make a little money which is Hallmark's thing really.

Martin Wood is far from a newcomer in the director and producer's chair. He has been working on Television for ages and has done a lot of Science Fiction which begs the question why he took this on? And more-so it begs the question as to why this wasn't made with far more care than it was. I think the problem is I'm over-analyzing a Hallmark production. I've only seen a few but they all have the exact same earmarks and are made for a list of reasons that don't translate to great movies. I certainly won't be tuning in to any future instalments of this series. I'll wait for Fuller House for my dose of Candace Cameron-Bure. 3/10
  • Librarian and amateur sleuth Aurora Teagarden's elderly friend dies and leaves Aurora her house. After a break-in, Aurora starts poking around the old house and discovers the skull of a murder victim. She begins investigating the crime but this puts her at odds with the police, including the detective assigned to the case -- who just happens to be the pregnant wife of Aurora's ex-boyfriend.

This is based on a book from a series written by Charlaine Harris, the author of the books True Blood is based off of. Don't worry (or get your hopes up?), this is nothing like True Blood. Haven't read the books so I can't compare but this is a light, upbeat mystery with some humor and even a hint of (completely sexless) romance with a minister. It's Candace Cameron Bure and Hallmark. You didn't expect Hannibal Lecter to show up, did you? A cop pointing a gun at someone says "get your dang hands in the air." So yeah, I think it's safe to call this 'family friendly.'

Candace is likable and pretty as usual. The rest of the cast is good. Fairly typical for TV movies -- mostly little-known Canadian actors with a couple of recognizable standouts (TV vet Marilu Henner and the lovely Lexa Doig). Henner is enjoyable as the mom meddling in her daughter's love life and Doig is fun as the sidekick who gets most of the good lines. The scenes between Candace and Lexa are the movie's highlights. Altogether it's a fun movie. Nothing challenging but entertaining. I imagine fans of the books will be more critical than those like me who aren't familiar with the source material. If you're a fan of the kinds of movies Candace makes, you'll most likely enjoy this.
  • Candace Cameron Bure, a librarian with a taste for true mysteries, inherits a house. Some one breaks into the house. This leads her to a hidden skull with blunt force trauma in what promises to be the first in a Hallmark Channel series.

It's based on Charlaine Harris' Aurora Teagarden series and is of the "Cozy Murder" variety of mystery. I am familiar with Ms. Harris through reading a couple of her Sookie Stackhouse series, which combines murder, vampires and Southern Gothic, and are cleverly written. Miss Bure is a charming actress, able to play an intelligent ditz; and although this particular movie seems to be mostly concerned with setting up the characters and relationships for future, the mystery story is well set up and executed. I look forward to future efforts, this latest Hallmark Channel mystery series bids fair to be a pleasing one.
  • An Aurora Teagarden Mystery: A Bone to Pick from 2015 is my first foray into these mysteries after seeing some of the Garage Sale Mysteries.

The Garage Sale Mysteries have antiques and collectibles going for them, as well as the familiar face of Lori Loughlin.

I admit not being familiar with Candace Cameron Bure as an adult actress. She's a little too cutesy for me and makes faces, but she's pretty and has lots of energy. Marilu Henner plays her mother, and the rest are Canadian actors, some of whom are pretty good.

The plot concerns an elderly friend of Aurora who dies and leaves the librarian and amateur sleuth her house.

The house is broken into, so Aurora attempts to find out what someone was looking for, and finds a skull with a hole probably made by a blunt instrument.

Being a member of a mystery club, Aurora starts her own investigation, not telling the police about the skull. When the body is found, the police become involved. Unfortunately, the detective is the pregnant wife of Aurora's old boyfriend.

The woman who wrote the Aurora Teagarden books, Charlaine Harris, also wrote True Blood. She has quite a range! This is lighter than air, unoffensive entertainment at least in the TV movie adaptation.

Realize that you're getting into a Hallmark movie, not Citizen Kane, and you won't be disappointed.
  • I'd hated Murder She Bakes and loved good Witch so I gave this a chance and i'm pleasantly surprised. Candace Bure does a good job of portraying Aurora as an inquisitive and clever person, who an get dangerously close to being nosey and interfering but just stays on the tolerable side of it. You can actually believe that beneath her turning up all over is actual concern for her friends and neighbours. The character is quite well rounded and not a bad influence on TV- she's smart, dedicated to her work, decisive and organised. Mother Aida is stereotypically the small town mom who can only think of setting her daughter up, but the actress does very well. Aurora's love interests do not merit mention, but John is someone who deserves far more screen time. The mystery is too simple but somehow the small town intrigues and Aurora's process save it from being a bore. If you want a simple unwinding with some cuteness and not much brain use, don't miss it.
  • Another year, another November, it's time to pick a new film series and I have chosen Aurora Teagarden. This is a fictional character based on the series of a crime novel published in the last three decades. The book series is not over yet. There are ten books total for now, but only six films were made so far. All of them a television production, made for Hallmark channel.

They have chosen a second book to open the account for a new film franchise. I haven't read the original source, but I did not find any difficulties in the introduction of the characters. Once I watch the next film, which was actually based on the first book, I'll know the reason why. It all started off nice and slowly. Aurora is divorced young woman, works in a library. Decent life with one best friend, rent paying mother and people likes her. She's enthusiastic in unsolved crimes. A member in one of those kind of clubs where people gather and talk about stuffs.

So it all begins when an old woman died and leaving behind all the wealth and property to her. They were never known well each other, but soon she finds there something behind it. Then she discovers a potential evident. And using that, she tries to find what actually happened and who did. The attempt fails, though she never gives up. Finally decides to go on an alternate way where the truth must come out. Does it all go accordingly! And how the rest of the story progresses were told with a twist.

❝Reading it won't help you solve every mystery, but it might help with one or two.❞

There's a difference between cops solving crimes and ordinary people doing the same. Aurora is not one of those ordinary women. She just misplaced with her profession. Even her ex husband was a cop. That tells why they had married in the first place, even though they never truly loved one another. Despite her passion to solve the crimes, seems nobody around her encouraging enough. That's including her best friend and her own mother. Then there is no give-up attitude, that makes her to take wild decisions, not worrying about the consequences.

Being a crime-mystery, they have included some nice moments. Overall decently written. Nothing like that you haven't seen them before. But interests enough to hook up for an 80 minute. Especially for a television quality, it passes. But, there's no clear picture what was the objective. Was it a murder-mystery or any other crime. Yes, the opening few seconds had given a big clue, but the real crime scene was never revealed in pictures like how it all happened. I was very curious to see it rather hear about it. That's why I watch films instead of reading books.

It was just a first film, fairly familiarised the universe. Going to the second, surely I would find more comfortable. Especially anticipating other characters to contribute in the main story stream. Not everything's about the crime, I hope the romance part would be progressed well in the following films. As usual the television world is ruled by women, this is also a woman oriented tale. But for all ages. Just don't expect big, like Hollywood level. This little Canadian film definitely worth a watch.

Candace Cameron Bure, always likable, plays amateur sleuth and librarian Aurora Teagarden. An acquaintance of hers from the Real Murders Club dies and leaves her estate to Aurora.

Aurora immediately finds a human skull in the window seat of her new home and with the help of her friend, sets out to solve the mystery of who and what happened.

Consequently, Aurora's ex, who is now married to another woman and about to be a father, is the cop working the case with his wife. Predictably, they are clueless and it is up to Aurora to find the real killer.

I haven't read the books yet, but I look forward to now, as well as seeing the next movie in the series. Candace Cameron Bure and Marilu Henner as her mother definitely made this movie worth watching.
    I've watched three different Hallmark mystery series recently, and Aurora Teagarden is the one I've enjoyed the most. And it's mainly because of the main character, who is adorable, and I think fits this part perfectly. You may remember her as D.J. Tanner from Full House, or have recently seen her on Fuller House. I also feel as if the mysteries themselves are a bit deeper than the other series, with more twists and turns.

Another reason why I enjoyed this movie so much is that she's a librarian, is part of a True Murders book club, and solves mysteries. All three of those are things that appeal to me. If I could choose a book character's life, hers would be very high on my list.

One thing that amused me greatly is the cameo of Charlaine Harris's books in a library scene during the movie. Charlaine Harris is the author of the Aurora Teagarden mysteries, and it was actually her first series, long before Sookie Stackhouse (aka True Blood) or her Midnight, Texas Trilogy.

If you enjoy reading Cozies, or like watching mysteries without blood or gore, you should definitely check this one out.
  • Jackbv1238 January 2018
    There are so many Aurora Teagarden movies littering HMM channel this weekend that I thought I would give Candace a second chance. Honestly, I don't know if it is Candace Cameron-Bure or the way the stories are written that hate so much. Maybe both.

Aurora is a complete idiot and deluded as well. But the worst thing is that she has absolutely no regard for the appropriate legal authorities, or the potential harm she can do to actually closing a case, or to her own safety. On a personal front, Aurora is rude, pushy, and inconsiderate to the people around her and she is more than a little conceited. Any success she has is mostly luck, but also a lot of persistence. It's true that most of these HMM series have a few of the same lame elements, but both of the Teagarden movies I've seen so far just pile them up one after another. I don't dislike most of the other series.
  • If it weren't for the fact that our lead character is more than flirting with an obstruction of justice charge I would rate the A Bone To Pick a bit higher than I do. In real life good looks and appeal wouldn't get you out of the jackpot that Aurora Teagarden, town librarian and amateur sleuth finds herself working toward.

Candace Cameron Bure the younger, as religious, but less controversial than her brother Kirk produces and stars in this and currently two other films with Aurora Teagarden in the lead. She has an interesting hobby and she and a group meet to discuss old murder cases. Influenced no doubt by Agatha Christie's Jane Marple she knows that she can be as good a detective as any who do this for a living. In fact she's a charter member in a club for people who like to review famous old murders and look at them from different angles to solve.

In fact it's almost a dream come true when an old spinster woman played by Barbara Wallace, member in good standing of that amateur murder fanciers club dies and not only leaves Bure her house and money, but an actual human skull. Even a mystery all her own to solve.

Though she leads the local cops to the rest of the body when she finds it, she keeps the skull for herself. Bure's ace in the hole to solving the crime. It does lead her in many directions before the right one. She also exasperates the local police including detective Miranda Frigon who even though as pregnant as the female police chief in Fargo is still working.

Bure has her posse including her mother Marilu Henner and her best friend reporter Lexa Doig. She exasperates both, but Bure and Doig have an interesting Lucy and Ethel like relationship.

I guess all's forgiven when you solve a murder, especially since two more Aurora Teagarden films have been made for Hallmark.
  • I am not a fan of chick flicks. My wife is not a fan of the more gruesome, bloody crime and mystery flicks. So, we have enjoyed finding different movies and shows that are something in-between, especially those that are a series like Aurora Teagarden Mystery. We've seen every Columbo, Matlock and a few others, and were looking for something along those lines.

We found it.

I do not write this as a "fan" of Candace Cameron Bure's other works. As a matter of fact, I had very low expectations. Not because she is not a good actress. But because I just haven't enjoyed the sitcoms she's been in and haven't enjoyed the other movies I've seen her in. Now, I'm a FAN. I just hope she keeps doing these type of films.

And what a nice surprise to see Marilu Henner, again. I was a big fan of her work on Taxi. And the supporting actors are a pretty solid crew.

What I don't understand is why some reviewers claim that this show is "predictable". I believe we could gather them all up in a room and at 15 minute intervals, take their predictions! What a good time that would be, because... I believe they would get a lot of their predictions WRONG and disprove their own claims.

And I can only speak for my wife and I at this point, but we enjoyed this first installment (that I understand is based on the second book) and do NOT find it predictable.

But you ARE watching a Hallmark movie. If you come expecting Aurora to be Laura Croft or Wonder Woman (or have that kind of budget), you are in for a disappointment.

On the other hand, if you turn on, "A Bone To Pick," without a bone to pick and expect something along the lines of Murder She Wrote or Diagnosis Murder? You're gonna enjoy this.
  • This wouldn't be happening in real life or even in the backwards town they live in. Law enforcement wouldn't be this dumb or lacking in trying to solve a crime and Auroa wouldn't have gotten away with keeping that skull for as long as she did. Putting it in her mother's purse...really ? seriously ? not in real life She doesn't seem to have a real job as she comes and goes as she pleases but in real life that wouldn't be happening . For someone how allegedly has a masters degree, she acts and dresses like a 12 year old . The hair has to go. Its uncombed and awful. The dresses are shorter than her little girl coats and her accessories are way beyond unlikely in this day and age. How about dressing your characters like real adults instead of something out of a comic book
  • max-5495931 August 2017
    **SPOILERS** Why oh why do I punish myself by watching these Aurora Teagarden shows? I guess it's because Hallmark Movie Channel seems to run them around the clock and around the calendar. And the supporting cast is good, which probably somewhat brings me back too.

Candace Cameron Bure's character is insufferable. It's the way it is written. She should be in jail. I lost count of the serious crimes she committed in this one. In real life, all is not well that end's well, and she would still end up in prison regardless of whether she solves a crime.

The husband and wife police-people who live across the street couldn't be more clueless. The wife who is a detective is constantly threatening Aurora because of her constant interfering and law- breaking, but never follows through.

One of these days, I want to see sweet cute criminal Aurora/Roe trying to solve a crime from behind bars where she is incarcerated for 2-5 years.
  • I'm not going to do a detailed review of any movie, but an overall of the first 3 - all I could bear to watch. No spoilers (I think), except for overall quality.

First, let me say I'm not one of those snobs that thinks the book is always better than the movie. I enjoy both mediums. I fact, I prefer to view the video first and read the book second. That way I get the visuals in my head (how people look for instance), and often the action is better visually. Then the book adds a lot of texture and detail. That said, THESE books are INFINITELY BETTER than THESE movies. There is no comparison. The main character is tremendously annoying - really just want to see her spanked and then run out of town on a rail. I only watched the 1st 2 movies, and skimmed (with gritted teeth and determination) thru the 3rd. I will watch no more of this series. In fact, I had thought to check out more of Hallmark's mysteries, but now feel they're likely to share the same flaws.

For some reason, Hallmark decided to flip the order of the first 2 books. If you've read the books this is confusing. As I said "Roe" is an annoying know-it-all snoop who constantly sticks her nose where it doesn't belong, uses social occasions as excuses to interrogate friends and acquaintances (while often ruining the gathering) and generally makes a nuisance of herself. In the most juvenile of writing techniques, Hallmark has decided she MUST be the most amazing, sought-after and clever person in every scene, generally making the whole thing more irritating and unbelievable.

In an early scene there's a comment like "Is she always 3 steps ahead of everyone?". In the 3rd movie she TELLS her mother to call a staff meeting of HER MOTHER'S business. (In the books, her mother is a strong, independent business woman and Roe is a bit intimidated by her.) In the movies, she has a prior relationship with a detective which is implied to have been more important to HIM than her - exact opposite in book. Of course, She MUST be the most important, desired, etc.

In "bone", movie and book, she starts by doing something very questionable that sets up the whole movie. It's rather ridiculous on both, but somewhat understandable in the book, while just obnoxious in the movie - "Do you have to solve every crime in a 15 mile radius?" or some such. Also, there's a hiding place that's just plain stupidly obvious in the movie, but rather clever in the book. AND this also explains the very odd actions of another character. In the movie, no such luck.

In the movies, the police are often slow, stupid, incompetent, and motivated by personal feelings - very unprofessional. This necessitates Roe solving the crimes. This is an issue in most amateur detective series, i.e. why is the NON-police person always solving the case. In the books, (and any series I'll read/watch) thiia s handled reasonably - such as her stumbling across clues through her everyday life in this small town and generally knowing the suspects/victims in her personal life. In the movies, she actively investigates. Remember, she's smarter than everyone else!!!

Each book and movie (so far) ends with Roe in a physical struggle with the killer (SPOILER she survives :'( ). In the movies, these are generally stupid, with her instigating without backup. In the books, while sometimes questionable, you can get how it happens.

I only recently started reading Ms. Harris. By chance started watching Midnight, Texas TV series, then read those books by her. (FYI if you enjoy supernatural/horror, I recommend both.) Because I enjoyed those books/TV, I started on these. I really like the books, but the movie adaptations are completely unfaithful. It's as though they read a short outline of each book and went from there. I understand the need to change some things when going to video - the amalgamation of the best friend and reporter for instance. Since the books are written in the first person they had to have someone for her to tell her thoughts and "reasoning" to. They also "pretty-ed" up many characters, most notably Roe. I get it, but one of the things I like in the books is that Roe isn't gorgeous and most of the men she takes interest in are not either. I get it, I just don't like it. The world has far more average looking people, but TV is a visual medium and we all like seeing pretty people. They dumb down the plots to fit into the time of a movie. Ok, I get that. What I cannot abide is the complete loss of the "feel" of the books. In the books we see a LIKEABLE, smart, modest, occasionally insecure, highly relatable small town librarian with a odd hobby that solves crimes because of inside knowledge and circumstance. In the movies, she's full of herself, obnoxious and actively - often ridiculously - investigates. Why any man would waste his time on her is beyond me. At the end of each movie, I root for the killer to finish her off so there won't be any more of these terrible movies.

Again, I don't primarily hate these movies in relation to the books, I hate them on their own merits. If I had seen the movie first (also before any of the Midnights), I never would have read any of the books, which I'm excited to be reading the 4th. I'll also try at least some of Ms. Harris's other series as I've enjoyed her writing this far. Kudos to Ms. Harris.

To all who enjoy these movies, sorry.
    I am a mystery buff (favorite authors include Sue Grafton, Paretsky, Kellerman (Faye), Braun, Evanovich, Cannell, Christie, George and Hammett) who enjoys a wide range of genres. I appreciate cozies because they offer relief from blood, gore and rough language and usually are very witty. Thus, I enjoy the Hallmark Movies and Mysteries offering of the Aurora Teagarden installments. I have not read these books, but the movies are fun and uplifting. I also love romance and there's some of that in these movies as well.

The series launches with "A Bone to Pick," which focuses on a mysterious inheritance for our heroine, consisting of a house, a human skull and murder mystery to solve. While Aurora ("Roe" to her friends) is a librarian she is also a passionate member of the Real Murders Club, so she is a dedicated amateur sleuth who is not above circumventing the law on occasion to solve a murder mystery. This, of course upsets her proper and professional mother who is a well-known real estate broker with her own successful agency and hates the Real Murders Club; her best friend, who is a newspaper reporter; her former boyfriend who is a detective along with his very pregnant detective wife who is no fan of Roe's; and the police captain who is even less a fan. However, Roe has an ally, another who is also a member of the Real Murders Club and who is in love with Roe's mother, who hates the Club. Roe's mother also is interested in helping her daughter to find "Mr. Right," and settle down. So we have a fun and feisty collection of characters against which background Roe sets out to solve the murder mystery she inherited.
  • 7/10 - classic start to a great mystery series if not the best that the series has to offer
  • Now, this is the second movie in the Aurora Teagarden series that I have watched, while being fully green to the character and the franchise. But I enjoyed the "Real Murders: An Aurora Teagarden Mystery" movie, also from 2015, so I wanted to sit down and watch "Aurora Teagarden Mystery: A Bone to Pick" as well.

I must say that this movie was just lacking some crucial ingredient to the storyline, because it wasn't as interesting or captivating as the storyline was in "Real Murders: An Aurora Teagarden Mystery". With that being said, don't get me wrong, because "Aurora Teagarden Mystery: A Bone to Pick" was still entertaining and enjoyable, but it just wasn't quite as interesting.

It is nice to see the same casted actors and actresses in movies in a franchise, and such was the case with "Aurora Teagarden Mystery: A Bone to Pick" as well. Which was a distinctive plus in favor of the movie.

Now, while I am not familiar with the books, I have no idea or clue about how true the characters on the screen are to the characters found in the pages of the books. But without such knowledge, I could just lean back and enjoy the performance of a good cast ensemble.

This is, however, a very typical TV movie. You know what I mean, it has that feel and quality to it, for better or worse. All in all, an average murder mystery that just lacked key ingredients, which meant that the movie ended up as a very bland and mediocre one.
  • Being English, the title of this movie threw me at first... "The Aurora Teagarden" sounds like a place you would go for a nice cuppa cha while sitting in beautiful floral surroundings... But no "Aurora Teagarden" is the name of the leading character - poor girl.

That aside, this is a good way to pass an hour and a half. Aurora "Roe" Teagarden, played nicely by Candace Cameron Bure. is a member of a mystery group dedicated to "Real Murders". One of the members, Jane Eagles (Barbara Wallace), invites Roe round to her house so she can borrow a book on female killers, as this had been her "Real Murder" discussion subject. A few days later she learns of Jane's death and is surprised to find herself in the will as the beneficiary of her house. It's when she finds the hidden human skull that a mystery starts to reveal itself to her... and her friends...

It's hard to say why I enjoyed this film because some things annoyed me, such as Lexa Doig's character, Sally Allison, who is grating on the nerve and at times I wondered why the two were friends, let alone besties. This isn't Doig's fault though as she did a more than an admirable portrayal of a strong, independent, and intelligent woman on Andromeda. But here, she's not such a likable character. Though that may be the strong point of this series as it's not relying on characterisations as much as others do in this genre; they're a little more like everyday people, rather than "feel-good" representations.

Another thing which was annoying was how simple the mystery was, I had pretty much had it solved at the skull, as I would think most would since previous scenes are so heavy handed at giving you the clues. I couldn't really believe that it took Roe so long to figure it out. This is more like a Columbo movie as it's not really about the mystery it's more about the trip to get to the reveal. At least there's still some mystery here, unlike Columbo.

All of the cast give a solid and equal performance and portray their characters well; none outshines any of the others. Director Martin Wood does a nice job of keeping the pace steady throughout, which works well with this type and style of story.

If you like your characters to be more "normal" in your mystery movies then you will like this; if you don't mind about the easy solve mystery because you prefer the drama more then this will really be your cuppa cha'. At least worth one viewing... on a wet and miserable day - English Summertime - when you can't make it out into the Teagarden.