User Reviews (14)

• First of all I am not a native speaker.

Well. I must say I have fallen in love with this movie. It's one of those beautifully crafted little gems that have heart and depth and just make you smile and also cry a little bit. Sure, there are other (more ambitious) movies out there tackling the same theme - going through life, losing and finding and coping and surviving and not being alone - but I just love the simplicity and kind of raw honesty of this one.

Anyway, to sum it up - characters are quirky and lovable, dialogues smart and funny and I can only recommend this movie if you are in a mood for something slow yet uplifting.
  • Rachel Tunnard has created a delightful, cosy and funny film.

A very authentic piece with an exceptional script and perfectly placed actors. The four women (Jodie Whitaker, Lorraine Ashbourne, Eileen Davis, Rachael Deering) are wonderfully alive. Ben Goldstein is excellent as the calming love (dis)interest who is "definitely not gay". The cast also features the always exceptional Alice Lowe, and an impressive Ozzy Myers as the adorably mischievous boy who looks the part with his new gun bag and penis badge to offset his sheriff's star.

The film is understatedly rich. This provides much of its magic. It doesn't seem to be at all confused nor reach beyond its limits and scope. There is a plethora of detail, character and warmth. The sickly, drab and empty factory produced romance of modern American and English cinema (Love Actually) is a polar opposite to this rich, natural and awkward love story.

There is a lot of love in this film. It causes the pain, aimlessness and feeling of abandonment and loss, but provides the support, colour and hope.

Rachel Tunnard has delivered a perfect portrait of some facets of human love.
  • Hannah, after losing her twin brother 18 months ago, has moved into her mother's shed and has stubbornly refused to move on. She and her brother were very creative together and she continues her creative efforts by making videos of thumb puppets traveling in space which earns her constant criticism from her mother, who has taken a tough love approach to forcing Hannah to move on by forcing her to vacate the shed by her 30th birthday.

Hannah's mother, grandmother, suitor, and girlfriend are all delightfully quirky. If you like quirky, this movie is for you. These characters are not one dimensional, but all have strengths and flaws that are shown to us by a very gifted writer/director.

One explosion, no car chases, and no gratuitous violence make this a movie that does not waste ones time with formulaic nonsense for the brain dead. Instead it illustrates through actions the panic and struggle of letting go a loss so great that one thinks her life will never be the same, that it's impossible to move on. And the film illustrates the jolts of losing the precious things, one at a time, that keep her isolated and bound to her dead twin.

Yet there is nothing morbid or overly dramatic in this presentation. The film is full of humor. Hannah must look after a young boy whose mother is dying, knowing what he will face. Yet he's a young cowboy and his own quirkiness mirrors Hannah's, as does his journey. Hannah is pursued awkwardly by Brandon, a somewhat shy individual who manages to approach her at the worst times, like when she's peeing behind a boat. And her dead twin appears to her in snorkeling gear which may be a clue to his death, or just his sense of humor.

There's not a surprise ending to spoil. This movie is about the journey and not the outcome and like all good films, it's made up of moments which are captivating to watch and feel as well as some good laughs along the way. I highly recommend it.
  • Started off kinda meekly, I was quickly losing interest when I thought I was about to waste my time on yet another childish portrayal of a delayed adulthood, shoulders stubbornly stuck in the vaginal walls of a happier past, a past that made sense -- whereas renting an apartment, paying bills etc, obviously doesn't.

Well. I was wrong. Boy, was I wrong. Wruh-uh-ong. This is a great little movie -- funny, lighthearted, and still, the dramatic elements are so strong and wonderfully structured, proving entirely capable of planting a lump in your throat the size of a goddamned walnut.

Nothing more to say. Watch this. It's good.
  • What a movie! The actors are fantastic, beginning with Jodie Whittaker who is just captivating. I laughed, I cried, I laughed and cried again. I love it when a movie moves me, touches me, grips me. This little treasure sure did. And after the closing credits (with one of my favorite songs) I knew I just fell in love with it. If anyone ever watched "Jackie" with Holly Hunter knows what I am talking about. This big fat grinning on the face while watching the whole credits and that good feel that stays for hours after the film ended. That's how I felt after watching "Adult Life Skills".
  • ferguson-617 January 2019
    Greetings again from the darkness. Each of us deals with grief in our own way, and often it's even more challenging to help a grieving loved one. Loss and grief are at the core of writer-director Rachel Tunnard's feature length film developed from her award winning short, EMOTIONAL FUSEBOX (2014).

When first we meet Anna, she is creating a space-oriented home video using aluminum foil and her thumbs. Yes, Anna is an adult - mere days from her 30th birthday. She's not the type to live in her mom's basement ... no, instead she lives in the cluttered garden shed in her mom's backyard. The play on words for the shed clues us in to Anna's quirky personality (as if the foil spaceship and thumb faces hadn't already done so). The Anna we see currently has no place for humor in her life.

Anna is struggling with the grief associated with losing her twin brother - a brother she was extremely close to. She's challenged daily by the fine line between sorrow and depression, and is regularly late to her job at an outdoor camp for kids. Her morning routine includes drying her clothes in the microwave and bickering with her mother (Lorraine Ashbourne) over finding a boyfriend and new place to live. Mom has demanded Anna move out of the shed by her birthday.

Others in Anna's life include her grandmother (Eileen Davies), Anna's close friend Fiona (Rachael Deering), and local real estate agent Brendan (Brett Goldstein) who may or may not be on the spectrum, is constantly refuting assumptions that he is gay, and undoubtedly has an unrequited crush on Anna. Each of these folks tries in their own way to pull Anna from her funk and get her back to living. Surprisingly, the turn occurs when she is forced to look after a neighbor boy named Clint when his mother gets rushed to the hospital. Clint is an odd kid who wears cowboy attire and proclaims his desire to be like Anna ... and they are more similar than she would care to admit initially.

Jodie Whitaker plays Anna and newcomer Ozzy Myers is Clint. Young Mr. Myers excels in his role, never going over-the-top with his offbeat tendencies. Ms. Whitaker ("Doctor Who") first charmed us on screen with her role in VENUS (2006) and she proves yet again what an accomplished actress she is ... likable and relatable. Here she turns an arrested development 30 year old hermit into someone we pull for. The film is filled with awkward interactions, each grounded in reality.

Of course, there is really nothing cute or charming about a 30 year old who hasn't yet grown up, but slack and understanding is due here because of the grief. And it's difficult to name another film character who could count mole hills daily and make it seem natural. Just remember that when a kid says they want to be like you, take it seriously - even if it's because you are sad and lonely. Ms. Tunnard's film is a bittersweet comedy that's not too bitter, not too sweet, and not overly funny. It's simply a fine little indie movie with a terrific performance from a talented actress.
  • Anna (Jodie Whittaker) is stagnant approaching 30. She has been living in her mother's garden shed for the last 18 months. She makes internet videos which she used to make with her late twin brother Billy. Her mother Marion is frustrated trying evict her out of the shed. Anna works at a children day camp with her friend Fiona and Brendan who has a crush on her. Clint is a peculiar boy who doesn't fit in with the other kids. When his mother is hospitalized, Anna is tasked with caring for the boy.

This is a standard stunted adulthood dramedy. It has some fun with the very appealing Jodie Whittaker. There is a functional romantic component but the male lead is not that charismatic. I wonder if it would be more compelling to lose the sputtering romance in favor of the kiddie relationship. The movie also introduces Billy rather late in the movie. Overall, the central appeal is the charismatic Whittaker and she drives this with a comedic charm.
  • westsideschl31 March 2019
    No subtitles along w/England English the more difficult of the English dialects for all others to understand especially when enunciation & audio levels are poor. Thus dialogue is of low importance. Not sure where this story was heading, but if you like an idiosyncratic young women living in mom's garden shed then this is for you. A forgettable 90 min.
  • Adult Life Skills is a small but great film. It is led by Jodie Whittaker in a great performance (though she is BAFTA worthy in Journeyman) and has a strong supporting cast. I liked the cinematography a lot and the script was touching, funny, genuine, and emotional. I loved it. 9 out of 10.
    In my opinion, this film deals with sensitive issues very well while also being one of the funniest films I've ever seen. That duality is hard to find in film. I might just be really really biased because I love her, but you have got to admit, Jodie's performance as Anna is absolutely astounding. The climax of the film, in which Clint goes missing and she has somewhat of a breakdown of emotions is just, indescribably good. The amount of care and detail put into his film is also extremely applaudable. Without watching any behind the scenes footage, you can tell that every actor and crew member cared for this film. It is visible throughout and makes the viewing experience all the more delightful. Sure, it has some flaws, but they are all very small. Anyways, doesn't every film have flaws? No film is perfect. This film certainly does not deserve a 6.2/10. It has been incredibly overlooked and it is a real shame. This film is honestly one of the best I've seen in a while and has very welcomingly earned a place on my favourite film list. More people should watch this. I guarantee you will find at least one character, theme or aspect of the film you will be able to relate to. And I guarantee you that you will laugh.

So for that, a soulfully give Adult Life Skills a big fat 8 stars because it truly deserves it.
  • I sought out this film because I found out that Jodie Whittaker would be the next Doctor on Doctor Who. It's such a genuine film that it really strikes you. Jodie Whittaker gives a great performance. She's funny and heartbreaking. The rest of the cast is very good as well. Loved the script- it was touching, down to earth, and it felt real. 9/10.
  • In classic indie style, this is a gentle but fairly stylised portrayal of bereavement, survivor's guilt and moving on. For something billed as a comedy it didn't make me laugh much, but it did engage me enough that I sobbed throughout the closing credits, so it clearly did something right. A promising debut from director/writer/editor Rachel Tunnard.
  • I really enjoyed this Brit indie film. Was way more emotional and heavy than I anticipated for my Saturday afternoon though!

Incredibly touching film about grief, friendship, your late 20s and moving forward in life. I'm sure I'm not the only one that could relate to lots in this - and I'm a guy.

It was quite cleverly written, with the storylines coming together for what I felt was an awesome ending - so if you find it slow-going in the beginning, stick with it!

If you like 'Happy Go Lucky' or 'Me and Earl and the Dying Girl' then you'll probably love this.

I'm going to go crank some Whitesnake now.
  • dsafdsa-1607316 January 2018
    Is Adult Life Skills perfect? No. But is it entertaining, endearing, and does it boast a beautiful performance from Jodie Whittaker and strong supporting cast? Oh yes it does. Whittaker deserved every ounce of that BIFA Nomination for Best Actress.

While the film isn't perfect, I don't see why it has a 6.2 out of 10. It is much better than that.