• So many filmmakers have me eating my words lately. I've been vocal about my distaste for the found-footage genre and yet over the last couple of years there have been some wonderful little films that have impressed the heck out of me... THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE PILLIGA is one of them. We follow two guys (Dylan & Jay) as they drive through a remote area in the northern regions of New South Wales. Dylan is a cameraman filming his mate Jay, who is a colorful, bumpkin trucker and they meet two drunk girls who agree to a late night new years eve adventure in the bush. Their escapade finds them venturing into the Pilliga National Park where things take a sinister turn and a local legend comes out to play. Director Dane Millerd has crafted his film with blood, sweat, tears and a hell of a lot of precision. While it presents itself as "found footage" the film actually evolves throughout its course and you become so enamored with the characters, particularly Jay, that you forget about the format. Each of the players deliver convincing and sincere performances and none more mesmeric than Brendan Byrne who plays Jay. This guy terrified me. At first I thought him to be more of a caricature of the Aussie "bloke" but as the film played out I kept having flashbacks to folks I've met in rural Australia over the years... and it's fair to say that this is no caricature. He might not be a villain in this story but his outback Aussie-redneck-tendencies make him one scary mother who could've easily been the love child of Mick Taylor and Chopper Read. The film's style, pacing and payoffs are all strong and Millerd effectively strings the first half of the story along at a meandering pace, allowing us to get comfortable with these characters so that when they are thrown into their hellish night of horror we are right there beside them. He also provides a believable reason for these people to venture out into the bush and avoids all of the contrived and clich├ęd tropes of the genre. THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE PILLIGA is a strong, formidable and welcome genre-film that toys with exploitation and unearths a folklore that has been screaming to be told. Wherever you watch this fantastic new film, do it right... IE a dark space with maximum volume and total engagement!!
  • Another handy cam film like Blair Witch and The Tunnel. Movie drags on for 80 minutes and nothing really happens. Just driving around for most of the movie. Terribly written with boring dialogue which is saved by the decent acting of the leads. It is Nicely shot showing the Outback of Australia i give it that, but the over using the camera in the car when it wasn't really needed made me dislike this film more. I don't think this movie had any real story line just a lot of bogon talking and terrible directing and edited like a student film. 60 minutes of nothing with 20 minutes of something. Im amazed this movie was made for $84,000 or even funded at all.
  • Horrible movie, complete waste of time. Wish I could give it negative stars. How does crap like this even get made?
  • There's Something In The Pilliga (TSITP) is a standout among found footage films. Minimal budget and many non-actors have helped convey a mood and theme that is desolate, dark and downright creepy. Imperfection is undoubtedly a gift in this case whether it be through the cinematography or in fact the acting - it simply works. It's also not hard to follow. Two guys meet two girls at a pub in outback Australia on New Year's Eve and talk them into a drive to see their friend in the woods. They arrive only to find the friend is missing. The fact it is also based on a true story is also downright creepy. Australia is a dangerous place and not very forgiving when you're out in the outback. It is no different this time either. When the four people try to find the missing friend they are stalked by a Bigfoot and one by one taken out. The fact you barely see the creature also works. Less is more in this case. On the whole it's easily in front of other found footage and Bigfoot films for many reasons. Leoni Leaver and Brendan Byrne's acting, the cinematography, the locations, the score has the story. It doesn't rely on the monster too much and uses the outback as a scary character. The outback is arguably to scariest character of them all! Easily a four star film, highly recommend it to any horror or found footage fan who likes suspense and subtle scares. If you didn't like it I'd say you need to watch it again because the more you do the better it gets as you learn more details. (TSITP) is real hidden Aussie gem!
  • Simply put, if you want something to freak you out, check this out.
    StarsI'VE SEEN IT TOO February 8, 2016 - Published on Amazon.com "There's Something in the Pilliga" and "Half Human" are the same film. This is a found footage film taken in the Outback supposedly a Big Foot type of film. Dylan (Paul Denham) is the ride along filming Jay (Brendan Byrne) a self proclaimed redneck with a think Aussie accent mate. The accent was thick enough to make me look for an English subtitles option. Nope. None available. These two guys pick up two floozies at a bar on New Years Eve and drive into the woods....and we never see the creature. We hear screaming, have a lot of ground cam, running cam, shoe hurling chunks cam, and people dragged on the ground cam. At one point the women try to act sexy for the cam showing cleavage and simulating sex. The lack of a decent ending killed the feature.

Guide: F-bomb. No sex or nudity.
  • I'm usually not a big fan of the "lost camera" or "found footage" movies so I was a little hesitant with this movie to start with.

From the very start this movie grabs you. The main character "Jay" is a very relatable character. If you have ever been to small country towns in Australia, this is truly how they talk and act. With a very typical big 4WD ute and 3 days growth. The first half of the film does a very good job of building character.

The movie builds well up to the point where things start to get "hairy". The movie has trouble keeping pace and I found there was a bit too much pointing at the ground but I guess if you're scared you're not worried about camera work.

As a whole I really enjoyed the movie and would have no problem recommending it to friends or family. If you grew up around Boggabri, Gunnedah or Coona this is a MUST see!! Big thumbs up to Dane on a great Aussie flick!!
    THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE PILLIGA is an indie comedy/horror flick from Australia which has a little of the trademark Aussie charm and humour to get by. It's a found footage-style effort that features a number of dumb characters who come into contact with a Yowie, an Australian-style Bigfoot creature of legend. This can just about be classed as an 'Ozploitation' movie, although as with many indies it's very rough around the edges and slow at times. The fact that the monster is never seen is a bit of a disappointment, but perhaps for the best. Expect a lot of character interaction, jokes, arguments, titillation, and the usual genre tropes.