User Reviews (45)

• shirinvawda23 October 2016
    The movie started out well and had a lot of potential but didn't deliver. The family had no idea that they were being watched and that's a pity. That's where the real thrill would have been. The shock, terror, disbelief etc would have made this film 10 times better. They died so quickly, not knowing what's been going on under their noses. There were parts in the middle of the movie that were dragged out and could have been replaced by a better ending. Was the mother pregnant? With the intruders child? Why did the son say his dad told him not to say anything? Disappointing watching movie and looking forward to the family finding out the horrific truth only to discover that they never do.
  • I'll have to admit,Hangman have a rather interesting and provoking premise. But,that's as far as what you can get from this movie. All you will get is a "thriller" movie that fails as a thriller,lacks in thrills,lacks of character,Plot-less and empty storyline,cringe worthy dialogue,and an Editing so bad,it feels like you're watching a high school student's film project. I know that this movie is a low- budget indie movie,but this movie is just pitiful.and the main plot of the story itself lacks in explanations,and it will leave you scratching your head on what's the point of the story,and what's going on in this movie.

It has a sloppy visual editing,and a sound editing so bad,that in some unnecessary scenes,there's a sound that will blow your eardrums without any apparent reason. It also has a soundtrack that really didn't help,or maybe ruin a scene that's supposed to be tense.

If you are looking for a full of tense,groundbreaking,jittery independent horror flick,then this movie is not for you.Period.
  • trashgang15 April 2016
    yawn
    Being shot in a kind of docu style remember paranormal activity, with night vision and stuff. Well it worked for a lot of scary flicks but here, it did not.

The story looked promising but been done before, an intruder in house and staying therefor days, watching you, this time with a lot of camera's and playing hide and seek, laying stuff everywhere to confuse his victims. But, nothing really happens. All you see is POV of the camera's before his victims, really, so that means that he is walking in front of them. sadly, nothing really happens only stabbing a youngster. Towards the end, but by then it's too late, the victims have to die.

Utterly boring, avoid at all costs.

Gore 0/5 Nudity 0,5/5 Effects 0/5 Story 0/5 Comedy 0/5
  • Man terrorizes a family seen through a multi web-cam type setup. That's it. Remove acting, character building, drama, tension or any of the myriad of things that could make a movie watchable. Hangman simply picks up the Paranormal Activity snoozetorch, and manages to do absolutely nothing with it. There are home movies made by kids on youtube that look stellar in comparison to Hangman. Not even kidding here. Had to scrub through the last third of the "film". Possible the lowest quality film I've ever seen. The fake review of the film here on IMDb was the most entertaining moment I had watching Hangman. They're just too funny and always written the same way.
  • Seth_Rogue_One2 February 2017
    Zero originality whatsoever is to be found here.

Follows the mold of every single found footage stalker movie made just a little more oversimplified is all.

With a 30 minute plot (40 at the most) stretched out to 81 minutes and most scenes mainly being day to day scenes of the family doing regular things at home this movie is far more boring than it is disturbing.

The acting is... okay I guess, the family does act kind of like a family does. The stalker we only see from time to time and he's weird I guess, which makes sense.

I just looked at the credits and saw that Amy Smart was in it which surprised me, she was in it in retrospect but you couldn't really see it was here because she was only in one scene sitting by a table with the "hidden camera" being very far away.

So yeah if she is what makes you want to watch this don't bother. But then there is no real reason to bother watching this period.
    You don't really need to know how or why this guy came to be in the house. Actually why is pretty obvious - he's a psycho driven by control, power and sexual perversion. You can accept what he does,safe in the knowledge he will pay for his crimes in the most terrible way by the end of the film. That should be the point of a film like this, the realisation of the family of what has actually been going on, the sadistic crimes that can only be cancelled out by an even more sadistic end for the perpetrator. The film might have been acceptable if that had happened. But no, there is no point in the suffering and ultimate death of the happy parents, the boyfriend, the handyman, the murderer survives to kill again. Who on earth writes an end like that, what sort of a viewer enjoys the fact he gets away with it and indeed is seen to be lining up another set of victims? Perhaps someone who looks forward to making or watching a sequel, perhaps with the same disappointing ending, maybe a real-life serial killer who thinks that the guy is a hero? Like other recent films with similar endings, what would have been a sensible and satisfying end for most of us is sacrificed in favour of a 'clever' ending that leaves you feeling you've just been cheated out of a couple of hours of your life.
    Terrible movie! No character arcs, no plot points. The villain is terrible and evil for unknown reasons. The main characters are completely helpless, as always. Acting is fine, but extremely cliché film. The ending of these movies is ALWAYS exactly the same. Basically the exact same movie as 388 Arletta Avenue, which was released in 2012. Same lame ending too! I definitely do not recommend Hangman! There are much better films to choose from. if you are looking for a good recent thriller or horror film, you might want to check out It Follows, The Guest, Kristy, Secret in Their Eyes, Gone Girl, The Loft, Open Windows, Before I Go to Sleep, The Visit, The Gift, Side Effects, Stoker, Prisoners, Passion, The Conjuring, Sinister, or Insidious.
    Definitely a top contender for worst movies I've willingly watched. Such a mundane, slow-paced, banal movie with a predictable ending. I blame myself for going into this blind, and not watching a trailer or reading the reviews here. I read the synopsis and it sounded like a movie to kill some time. And, hey, a couple of well known actors were in it like Jeremy Sisto & Amy Smart (for the record, Smart has less than 5 minutes screen time.)

For your viewing pleasure (if you're as crazy as I am to watch this in the first place) watch the first 5 minutes then skip and watch the last 10 minutes. You'll skip watching the boring lives and irrelevant segments of a typical nondescript family. It'll be like watching a mediocre, fan-made YouTube thriller skit.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

In short, this is the full story: Psycho killer has an infatuation with blonde mothers. Infiltrates families' lives while they're away travelling. Watches them for days upon days, not doing anything except eating their food and pleasuring himself while the couple have sex. Abruptly ends up hanging the husband and killing the wife after coercing her to admit she "loves him". Moves on to new family. Fin.

Low budget, found footage film. Okay-ish acting. Bad script and plot. No character development. No tension or suspense. Bad movie. Bad!
  • Rarely have I come away from a movie viewing experience, hell, ANY experience, feeling as despondent and dismal as I did after suffering through the spirit slaying swill of "Hangman".

This alleged inspiration (the filmmakers claim, because there wasn't a DAMN thing inspiring about ANY of this stinking cesspool) by true events tracks through multi-concealed cameras a masked maniac as he terrorizes a suburban family of four while hiding inside their home. As near as I can surmise this depraved debacle was efforting to explore through character study the sliced up psyche of a gutted soul in search of love never shared with his own kin. But that notion is almost as laughable as the myriad of unintentionally albeit darkly comical scenes where this rancid animal literally stood right next to various household members yet remained COMPLETELY UNDETECTED!

"Hangman" imposes upon it's (hopefully LIMITED) audience a festering crapload of degenerate diligence just to hear a mother tell you she loves you. And the nightmare never sleeps ending is ripped right off without variation from other movies eons superior to this festival of feces.

But hey now, if you wanna spend about an hour and a half of your time on this planet watching a whack-job voyeur engineer the demolition of an innocent couple and their kids, then be my guest.

Just don't come this way with your head hangin' low and lookin' for sympathy. I tried to tell ya.
  • jemmaclark18 March 2018
    I kept checking how long id been watching the film for and thinking surely something is going to happen soon! It doesnt, its pointless, and boring. It could have been good if more had been done with it, if it had more of a background story.
  • Hangman is yet another found footage horror film. It is unoriginal in nearly every way, from the character's stupid actions all the way down to the killer having no reason to do the stuff he does other than he's absolutely insane. This movie has been done many times before and in much better ways.

The only redeeming qualities of this film are Kate Ashfield's performance, which was decent but nothing to write home about, and the last five minutes, which are somewhat intense. But that's it. The film is distasteful, poorly acted, poorly written, slow, boring, unoriginal, and a lot of it doesn't make sense. There were a few times the main characters could have done something obvious to help themselves but they just didn't for some reason.Yeah, it's one of those movies. It's infuriating to see characters be so stupid and oblivious to everything going on around them. Takes me right out of the film.

This movie was an hour and twenty-four minutes long but it felt like two god damn hours.

Stay away from this.

• I'm really surprised at the negative reception of the film, so went into this film expecting to turn it off after 10 minutes. However, given that the majority of raters probably also contributed to rating the awful borefest that is 'Gravity' a 7.8/10, I should've done what I normally do and completely ignored the ratings and most reviews.

'Hangman' is a genuinely disturbing film. For fans of 'real' horror (and by that I mean things that absolutely could happen, disregarding ghosts and evil spirits), then this is perfect. Almost everything that happens in the film could definitely happen to people, and in various ways probably does. Yes, slight artistic licence has of course been taken, but overall this film touches way too close to home.

The best comparison I can make is to the wonderful flick that was 'Creep' (2014), in that the main antagonist is a truly disturbed individual, yet undoubtedly fairly common in today's world and most definitely real. The film, although slow paced, burns consistently, and there aren't many dull moments.

The ending, just like the opening sequence, are shocking, and the brutal moments that punctuate the film are almost too much to watch - yet nothing is too far-fetched.

So, with that said, I would definitely recommend this film if you enjoy 'found footage' films in general, or are a fan of horrors where the events could - and probably do - happen.
    I've honestly watched this movie probably 6 different times since it released and I've loved every time I watched it. Most of the POV found footage style killer movies, you don't really see it from the perspective of the killer. To me, when people complain about the lack of info on the character, I think it slowly starts to creep in throughout the story. I found that the movie is more about getting to know him rather than the family.

The beginning: "tell me you love me.." before stabbing the woman in the first film invasion was pretty haunting. I'll get to where I think is starting the evolution of his character within the story.

When you see him stalking his next family, you start seeing a trend, as well as the next family at the end. They all have short blonde hair. Now to which, I'm going to say resembles a possible ex-wife. I think they may have had kids and the wife ended up remarrying. Now he sets out to find that one that "got away" to ensure no one else can ever have her and his family but him.

During the film, you see him trying to "include himself" in her life. Causing disruptions in their house and as well their marriage. Trying to create conflicts between them in hopes of getting rid of him and allowing her all to himself. That moment when he's freaking out in the crawl space and crying, he's reflecting on how hurt he was when "the old love" left him and caused his mental breakdown. When he's pleasuring himself watching them have sex, he's trying to simply picture himself being with her at that moment...being with his old love.

Later on in the film, when he starts following around the daughter and her boyfriend, I think its himself playing the "paternal father figure" and wanting to get rid of the boyfriend that will not be good enough for his "daughter."

In the end, I don't think he can actually move on from his ex wife and the whole conflict of the divorce was never actually resolved. There was never any kind of closure. So he sets out to find the resemblance of what he once knew in order to take back what he wants all along, his family, because he can't face the real face of his ex wife. He's desperately wanting his former love to simply tell him that, "I love you." So that's his main goal with these women. When asked, "Do you love me," he's seeking his "former wife" to admit her love still remains. If she says it, he can now move on with his life. If not, then kills her out of anger for not loving him. I do think when the 2nd blonde actually says, "I love you", he only kills her because he know's she didn't mean it. In other words, it's going to be a continuous cycle until he specifically get's exactly what he wants. Which may never come.

After reading this, give the movie another chance with this in the back of your mind. Hopefully you will end up actually changing your mind :)
  • I have rarely watched a movie that is so boringly sick. Imagine if you will a writer or director who is both a very boring person and also morally sick, and you have the people who came up with this movie. There are few movies I can think of which have both bored the absolute poop out of me while simultaneously making me feel like I just licked the toilet bowl. Most of my reviews come with spoilers because I love story, its structure and process. This one doesn't have any spoilers because I wouldn't want to describe this movie to you, it doesn't deserve it. Just move on and pretend it doesn't exist, you are missing nothing other than cinematic excrement. The writer and director should just give up cinema and find something else to do - maybe working at McDonald's, something more suited to their talents. IMDb should provide a zero rating or perhaps negative numbers, and then I could have voted more accurately. An unentertaining, vile, and nasty turd of a movie. Yechhh.
  • Utter detritus. It started with an aspect of promise, and I got a bit drawn in thinking it would build on it. Silly me!

Instead I've finished up with a complete waste of an hour and a half! The plot is totally farcical, requiring the actors to have the mental capacity of an amoeba to ensure that the "killer" can go about his business. It's like a reverse Action Movie, where the good guy slips past the bad dude during the mere milliseconds that the bad dude checked his watch or heard a noise etc. Trouble is, this is full of forensic flaws as well. In reality the police would have caught the baddie in about an hour, he's so blatant.

Really an insult to the intelligence. Total trash. Why why why didn't I turn off earlier?!
  • A movie about a deranged psycho hiding in the family loft - sounds familiar. Just watch Crawlspace (1986), or even the 2013 remake, instead. This employs found footage style camera work, so zero points for originality. The constant zooming in and out, plus camera shakiness, meant that I was in danger of getting a headache. Apart from the brief but violent opening scene nothing horrific actually happens until over an hour. Perhaps the intention was to build tension slowly but fails miserably as this film is just boring as hell. Nothing to recommend here.
  • So after watching Hangman I really wanted to talk about this, because i've never felt so bored in my life watching a movie.

The story has some potential but for some reason they thought this was the best idea. The 'Hangman' isn't really doing that much of interest, except maybe the last 5 minutes (but not really), but I was never so invested that i could care. Most of the time he does some weird things and sometimes cries FOR NO REASON. He does all these random things and we're supposed to not laugh at that?

The only thing that I liked in this movie is the fact that they only use the camera standpoint of the cameras he set up. So the audience only sees trough the cameras he sees, that's why it gets a 2 and not a 1. The family is kinda developed but that doesn't save this film, it's supposed to be a Horror/ Thriller movie, but all I did was laugh (and be very confused) when the 'Hangman'appeared.

I do NOT recommend watching this, I am not a fan of scary movies and I get scared very easy. I didn't once felt suspense...
    5 of 10. For horror, this is a breakthrough. Not because of the always annoying found footage style (which was actually done fairly well compared to most). It's something like a Cable Guy (1996) with higher tech, a lot less humor, and a psycho with a fetish/hatred/fixation on family homes.

While some of the hate for this film may be a combination of shock and fear, there are definitely annoying discrepancies. Why wires when wireless is available? How did the cops miss the guy in the attic when there was reason to search up there? The problems aren't in the acting or even the direction, but the story setup needed to be better thought out to be fully believable.

For families who have experienced directly or indirectly someone using their home for a party or vandalism while they were away on vacation or noticed a lot of odd, unexplained things happening around their home, this will definitely heighten the horror experience.
  • I'm not sure why this movie has so many bad reviews.

I thought it was a pretty decent movie. The acting was pretty good for the most part. I quite liked the story. Nothing really to talk about for special effects, which isn't a bad thing.

The premise of the movie is fairly realistic too, which adds to the suspense I think. If it's something that could happen to you it adds to the tension.

The suspense is slowly built up and I found the portrayal of the main character very realistic. The writers obviously did their homework on psychopaths. He's very damaged and shows several ranges of emotion, all without saying anything until near the end of the movie.

If you like suspense with a little bit of horror, I'd recommend it.
    HANGMAN is a low budget found footage horror inspired by the PARANORMAL ACTIVITY series. The most impressive thing about it is that it masquerades, successfully, as an American film, even though according to the IMDb it was made in the UK. The story sees a vacationing family returning home, only to discover that a burglar has trashed the place. Somehow, they don't realise that he's set up covert cameras throughout the property, so that he can spy and stalk them constantly. This film's pretty much indifferent, lacking the kind of tension I'd expect from the premise despite the director's best efforts, and with boring performances from the cast members. There's the occasional shock scene which works well but overall this is both routine and lacklustre.
  • Was drawn into seeing 'Hangman', with a cool poster/cover, a promising trailer, an intriguing premise and as someone with a general appreciation for the genre it fits under. That it was low-budget, which from frequent personal experience is rarely a good sign due to that there are so many poor ones out there, made me though apprehensive.

It is sadly however yet another film seen recently, hence some reiteration because the exact same strengths and flaws present in those films are here, that to me was incredibly disappointing considering its potential which it doesn't do anywhere near enough with. 'Hangman' is really quite awful, with so many huge flaws and doesn't do enough with its potential, which was hardly small. There is very little to recommend in 'Hangman'.

Lets start with the positives. Kate Ashfield is decent and the only person in the cast who tries or is halfway credible.

'Hangman' also starts off reasonably promisingly, it does intrigue and it does have creepiness.

Going on to the negatives, the story does feel over-stretched and some of it comes over as vague and under-explained in the last third where the film especially became duller, more predictable, more senseless and less unsettled and never gaining momentum. All the characters are too sketchy and with nowhere near enough to make one want to endear to them. Their annoying and illogical decision making and behaviours frustrates. The chemistry is bland and unfocused.

Making the film feel bland and forgettable with not enough heart put into it. The sound quality is obvious and utilised cheaply (being too loud in the build ups and people's reactions) and all of the acting is lacking severely on the whole excepting Ashfield who shares no chemistry with a rather wooden Jeremy Sisto.

Dialogue can be stilted and rambling while the pace and film drags on forever after such an intriguing start and doesn't recover. The ending has a little intensity but felt very unresolved and unfinished. Found too many of the supposedly shocking moments not surprising or scary and the supposedly creepy atmosphere dreary, due to the excessive obviousness, a lot of dumb and vague moments and explanations and the lack of tension and suspense. Thrills are none, thanks to stodginess and excessive over-familiarity, and found myself never invested in the drama, which tended to be overacted and statically directed.

A lot of 'Hangman' has underdeveloped plot elements and often nonsensical and confusing character motivations when the characters weren't used randomly with no point to them, while too many of the things to make you shocked are far from creative or unsettling.

The villain is neither scary or interesting, no development and too derivative, while everything is unimaginative and are more odd than scary, completely failing to show any sense of dread. The thriller elements fail to thrill and are very predictable and the drama is overwrought. Some badly sagging momentum too and a lot of weirdness. The direction is leaden, got the sense their heart was not in it, and the music is ill-fitting. 'Hangman' is very amateurish visually, making one feel nauseous and actually did feel a headache coming on.

Altogether, very, very bad. 2/10 Bethany Cox
  • I turned on this movie anticipating something exhilarating and interesting but was left with nothing. It had great acting and a great story but it lead to absolutely nothing. I regret watching this movie and will not be recommending it to anyone. Nobody should go through that snooze fest. When I had seen the video type that was like Paranormal Activity I was excited cause I enjoyed that format a lot for those movies but using it in this one was a waste. If I could rate this 0/10 I would.
  • uonlywish50025 October 2020
    Yes, the movie shows the disturbing side of the movie well, OK that's cool, but it does it for free. We don't feel any tension, and we're in a horror movie, damn! Every act our psychopath does leaves us unmoved and it will never be discovered by the family or anyone else, no how or why our psychopath does this, just FREE... We are just immersed in the life of this psychopath, we do not know his motivations, nothing, and that makes us not want to be interested in what he does, so ... And I'm sure this kind of scenario can work in a lot of movies, but this one doesn't have much to save the shipwreck! I advise against.
  • ejayne-3325419 June 2020
    Hmmm Well it's was creepy but not in a good scary film kind of way! Very odd got abit ridiculous he was never caught so yeah really didn't enjoy the film
  • I was hoping that the story would be more similar to the game we played as kids. Maybe giving it a little mystery and puzzles to figure out. Boy was I wrong!!! This is an hour and a half of my life I'll never get back. It's so slow. The first time I tried to watch it I fell asleep with in the first 20 minutes. Finally when the killer starts doing things you wind up pissed at him for it. Seriously don't waste your time.