• Much of the storyline was based on "The Last Testament of Lucky Luciano" -- supposedly taken from the "diaries" of Lucky Luciano -- which has been proved to be nothing but fairy tales. When it was first published, the FBI stated, "This book has no value to the FBI or anybody for that matter" and "It is unlikely that a mob boss would keep a diary, and if he did, whoever possessed it would not be alive to write a book." The Chief of the US Narcotics Bureau in Rome state, "Martin Gosch (author) is untrustworthy, a liar and an opportunist." Yet Hollywood (and many "experts") still use this book as a basis for research and entertainment. ****Just a few facts from episode one: -The characters featured in the show did NOT use Tommy Guns. In fact, Tommy Guns were extremely rare in NYC. -Luciano DID NOT create the Five Families -- Salvatore Maranzano did. -Luciano, Lansky and Siegel did not meet Frank Costello and Masseria like shown in the episode. -Luciano did not start working for Masseria like shown in the episode. -Rocco Valenti was gunned down two days after the failed hit attempt on Masseria -- not "weeks later." And the hit was an ambush by eight gunman in front of John's Restaurant on 12th Street as Valenti showed up with two bodyguards to a sit down called by Masseria. A seven year old girl and a street sweeper were shot in the crossfire. Nothing like in the series. Plus there is no proof that Luciano pulled the trigger or was even present. -Luciano, a Sicilian, can not pronounce the word "Consigliere"? (The "G" is silent.) -Half of the "experts" interviewed could not even pronounce "Luciano" correctly. (It's Lu-CHI-ano") These are just a FEW of the many inaccurate things in the first 30 minutes alone of the first episode -- Don't expect it to get any better from here. Come take a tour of the real mafia history and learn about all the Hollywood misinformation out there.
    Although the story of Al Capone's rise and fall is well known to most viewers, this eight-part second season of AMC's "Making of the Mob" portrays an Al Capone that defies mythologizing. While "The Making of the Mob - New York" seemed to suffer at times from a staid and disjointed story line, this season offers a more suspenseful yet surprisingly nuanced tale that breathes some fresh air into the tried and true histories of Capone and of the Chicago Outfit.

Was Capone a violent and ruthless killer? Episode 1 portrays Capone as less of a killer and more a man struggling to survive in a dangerous and unforgiving world. Was Capone destined for criminal glory/infamy? In this version, Capone is seen less as a gangster-in-the-making and more as a person of opportunity. Perhaps if he had received a better wage or a better education, Capone would've shied away from the criminal underworld. But as "Making of the Mob" vividly illustrates, Capone had few other options to make a better life for himself and for his family besides turning to the Mob.

"The Making of the Mob" does not exclude the violence and ruthlessness that lay behind Capone's rise to power in Chicago (e.g. the gruesome killing of Chicago kingpin "Big Jim" Colosimo), but it helps contextualize it in a way that offers a deeper portrayal of Capone and his life beyond the Hollywood imagery. Although it remains to be seen how well the show will cover the rest of Capone's career (as well as the subsequent history of the Chicago Mob following his downfall), Episode 1 seems to foreshadow a gripping and refreshingly new take on the infamous gangster and on the criminal underworld that he notoriously seized control of.
  • The Making of the Mob: New York is an entertaining but not entirely accurate portrayal of the rise of prominent mob figures Lucky Luciano and Myer Lansky in early 20th century New York.

Its an interesting tale that employs acting, as opposed to utilizing a documentary format. Ray Liotta is a great choice for narrator, with his gravelly, New York accent and gangster film pedigree.

The approach however does take dramatic license and there are some historical inaccuracies that means this series is part fact, part fiction. There is little to suggest, for example, Lucky Luciano was dining with Joe Masseria at the time of the latter's execution. The role of Nucky Johnson in the mob underworld of the time is not properly explained or placed in context either. Johnson was not a mobster but instead a corrupt politician.

If you accept the limitations present in this series it is, in most respects, an entertaining, colourful romp through early US gangster land. The acting is of a good standard and the story is presented in an engaging and lively manner. Seven out of ten from me.
  • electraguard217 July 2016
    I don't know about the accuracy of the story line but I do know that the 1959 Edsel cop car showing up at the 1957 upstate NY meeting is not accurate. There may be other inaccuracy in the show but I found it entertaining. I thought the casting was good but got tired of all the non-essential shots of gangsters standing or sitting around smoking. I also noted that one of the scenes of Costello being concerned about being hit in the last episode was the same scene from when he was "protecting' the waterfront from saboteurs during WWII. It would have been nice to see what happened to the guys who took over after Luciano but maybe that will be shown in an other series. We are looking forward to the series about Capone.
  • obie102316 June 2015
    I watched the premiere of making of the mob and I was pleased with the storyline. If you like stories about the mobsters,their rise to power and infamy this is a great show. The show is built around a strong cast with good on screen chemistry. I believe that Rich Graff who plays Lucky Luciano really does a great job in this first episode and this might be his breakthrough role. I am not too familiar with his other work but well done! Kudos to AMC and the directors for putting on such an entertaining series! I cannot wait to see the up coming episodes. I highly recommend this series to anyone who loves movies/TV series like boardwalk empire, mobsters, the sopranos, goodfellas, casino, etc.
  • I've only just viewed the first episode of this mini-series last night, but, I'm happy with what I saw and have high hopes that this is going to be monumental by covering new information, or, adding new information to old events.

So far in this first episode, this has pretty-much followed along with the movie "Mobsters" (1991) starring Christian Slater (and, both complement one another).

I believe that this is going to be a very good series so long as it doesn't continue to repeat events and occurrences that have been shown over and over again in so many documentaries and movies before this over the years.

I enjoyed this first episode.
  • The acting is pretty ify at times. But it's just barely good enough to endure and follow along the story.

For some ridiculous reason, they bring in actors from fictional mob movies, to talk about the history of the mob as if they are experts or have real experience. It's so hard to take the show seriously when I see them talking with a tone of authority. However, there are historians and actual people that were in the mob, or related, that speak from time to time.

Also, if you have spent any amount of time studying the history of the mob, you'll notice many inaccuracies. So it's best to take it all with a grain of salt, not take it too seriously, and view the show mostly as fiction that's inspired by real events.
  • Good points: the acting is fine and the CGI period locations successfully evoke the sense that 'this is how it happened', even if it didn't. It's also useful to be able to put faces to names in the timeline of the growth of the US Mafia, which is confusing on the page. And Eliot Ness was indeed a hapless drunk who didn't bring Capone down at all.

Bad points: the whole thing has a continuous chugging cello soundtrack, repeated use of the same establishing shots (no matter how long or far apart), and even use of the same incidental scenes and locations for completely different events. This reminds me of a really, really cheap cartoon series.

Some of the talking heads are Sopranos actors - how this qualifies them to be authorities on the Mob escapes me - and combined with the music, the repeated cut scenes and Ray Liotta's intense narration (he left the Chicago series to someone just as mean-sounding) - makes the whole thing come across like Gordon Ramsay's Hotel Nightmares set in gangster Chicago or NY. "Al Capone must now run a huge criminal organization single-handed!!!" "Miraculously, Lucky Luciano survives!!!"

Also, the actors, while they do a great job and have a vague resemblance to their counterparts, are simply too glamorous for a supposed historical series. The quickest Google of Mafia gangster images will tell you that these wise guys were singularly ordinary-looking, which helped them stayed under the radar. In this, Al Capone is a handsome heavy-set guy with dark eyes and a Roman nose, and Lucky Luciano is almost an Al Pacino lookalike (only tall). Naah.
  • A good doco but who ever edited this docudrama needs some lessons in how to lay down a good audio track and level. The music is over the top and far to loud, making it difficult to hear the narration. It's Really annoying!
  • As others have pointed out, this series is so full of inaccuracies that you probably would be better off watching re-runs of the old "Untouchables" with Robert Stack for historical context. Some examples:

Dion O'Banion was not killed from across the room by the two gunmen who entered his flower shop. One of the men reached out to shake hands with him and held his gun hand while the other man pumped lead into him.

In one scene, which is supposed to take place in 1925, there is a 1938 Chevy coupe in the background.

Johnny Torrio was not shot in the street while out shopping with his wife. He was gunned down in the front yard of his home.

Whoever got AMC to green light this nonsense must have bought a helluva lunch.
    What better way to learn and enjoy at the same time. I wish there were more series like these.

Whether 100% accurate or not, I don't really care. Perhaps some things are exaggerated, perhaps some facts presented a bit more romantic. It really doesn't bother me.

The story line, the rise of Capone, has been covered many times, the story told many times. The genius of this is the combination of documentary and series. The acting surprisingly good.

Though one would expect to be very predictable and very 'sopranos-like', it is not. Great care has been taken in producing and creating a worthy product.

My compliments, and I can only say that I have enjoyed every episode equally.
  • I guess the key word here is "Docudrama" and for a Docudrama, it honestly moves a bit too fast. Actually, for the amount of information it conveys, it moves a lot too fast and feels a bit crammed.

It would have been nice, and probably a lot more expensive, if they dragged it out a little longer so that they could pay attention to some of the finer details. Instead, a lot of the little things come at you with all the force and speed of a shotgun blast.

It doesn't really give you time to linger on it and contemplate it. Usually the nice thing about docudramas is that there is enough filler and useless details to let you dwell on the important ones for at least a couple of seconds.

However, despite that, the information is there. Ray Liotta is a great narrator, the cast of interviews are the regular faces that you've grown accustomed to seeing in documentaries about the mob, particularly Rabb (who is in every mob documentary ever made), with a couple of distant relatives and decedents of the people portrayed along with additional actors known for gangster rolls to fill out the interviews nicely.

It's not a matter of too much information and it's not a matter of too little. What gets me about this is the pacing and the order of the information it presents. When a big, profound, and stunning item is dropped on the audience, good documentaries give them time to digest it with either reenactments that the audience can not pay attention to or little unimportant facts that most viewers don't care about.

Instead it too often drops one blow after another and relies on repetition too much rather than digestion. And, as where that works well in movies to keep the viewer on the edge of their seat, it doesn't in documentaries that tend to attract an audience that wants to brings an entirely different kind of fascination to what they are watching. The wow factor shouldn't be in the action in a series like this, it should come with giving the mind a moment to take in that "whoa, they actually did that" moment.
  • elliotjeory11 October 2018
    Season 2 is the story of the rise of the mafia in Chicago, the story of Al Capone's rise and fall and the story of the leaders of the Chicago outfit. Although it wasn't as interesting as Lucky Luciano's story it is still fascinating viewing. If you are interested in the history of the mob this is essential viewing. You will learn a lot through the renanactments of historical events told by the narrator and interviewees.
  • superbradbw10 October 2018
    Being a long time fan of historical drama's and things of the sort, I was pleasantly surprised by the series. While not necessarily completely accurate it's clear it's not really trying to be. It puts a dramatised style behind the Mob of both New York and Chicago. I personally loved it and It did something that many documentary series can't do to the average viewer- it kept them interested, I know it kept me hooked. Being someone who knows nothing about the American mobs to me it's the fact that this show has inspired me to learn more, and patch that inaccuracy that may come through. I heavily suggest a watch!
  • elliotjeory9 October 2018
    An educating and entertaining show. The life of lucky Luciano and associates. Very interesting to see the beginnings of the Mafia in New York, particularly Luciano's rise and creation of the commission. Great supporting characters from Genevese and Meyer Lansky. The stories of Frank Costello and Bugsy Siegal are also fascinating. Narrated by Ray Liotta, any fan of mafia movies will love this historical portrayal of the real life goodfellas.
  • With such excellent source material this had the potential to be awesome. It was good but could have been better. It's easy to follow and the story runs along at a nice pace without too much repetition from earlier eps. Unfortunately, the script and acting are a bit unconvincing at times. The comments are insightful and assist. It really is a good story, Just could have been a bit more polished.
  • I feel like the story draws is full of conjecture, but all in all a good series to pass the time with some insight into the New York Mafia.

One thing that confuses me, Which once upon a time I would of written in the comments section (RIP), is it Ray Liotta narrating? It sounds nothing like him and IMDb doesn't even credit him, they credit a guy called Jeremy Davidson for the Chicago version but nothing for Ray.
    Have watched this series and even though based on what I read about some inaccuracies in the facts, the acting here is truly superb...it's hard to pick if the Making of the Mob New York is better or Chicago, I love how the relationship of Johnny Torrio and Al Capone have evolved as well as Lucky Luciano's relationship with his buddies through the years.

Overall, a must watch on those who fancy Mob Documentaries / Movies.
  • I don't get a chance to watch a lot of TV let alone a series, but this docuseries really had my attention. I'm sure it's not as accurate like others have mentioned, but for 8 weeks I enjoyed it and was entertained.

Ray Leota's narration and voice was great. It really helped to add to the drama.

I got a huge kick out of all the smoking the characters did. I mean almost every seen someone has a cigarette in hand. My favorite characters were Lucky and Mere Lansky.

It's not straight out of the history books like I mention, but I enjoyed the wardrobe, automobiles, fancy hotels and tommy guns.

Thanks AMC for putting this on!
    I have seen all episodes through 8/8/16 of Making of the Mob, Chicago.

Mike Malone was my Great Uncle. I have all his documents from Treasury; as well as a massive amount (3000+ pages) of Frank Wilsons and their Chief's Elmer Irey.

I am happy to see that the focus/credit has been on these men (Irey needed to be included and I also suggest A.P. Madden), but as told through 8/8/16 it's a good portrayal. A few inaccuracies: (1) How Nitti was actually taken down as Mr. Belmont in Berwyn, IL- it's a cool, funny and creative story-line. (2) It was the Hawthorne Smoke shop's ledger that 'nailed' Al (I have it). (3) There was a lot more drama in the courtroom and I have the written notes on the take-down of d'Andrea, Al's bodyguard (4) Also very melodramatic moment when Al ran into Malone as they left the courtroom (5) Al offered Irey a $1.5 million bribe (6) Al wanted Wilson and Irey rubbed out by hired guns from NYC and Mike alerted them (7) Malone alerted all about jury pool and Judge Wilkerson switched them out as portrayed this past week (8) Eddie O'Hare stood up and testified against Al. Wilson's states this was another clincher for the conviction. Eddie paid the price later---These men got Eddie's son, Butch, into Annapolis. Butch was killed in WW 2 and was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. That's how Chicago's airport got ts name I can go on and on--- I have enjoyed this series.

marty dolan
    I rated this series a 10 because I loved the production of it in general. Being a history buff I was a little disappointed with this series crediting Luciano with creating the blueprint of the "Five Families" when it's well documented that Maranzano was the mastermind of that operation and that Luciano was the one to implement it.

I was also confused when the narrator described Murder Inc. as being a group of Jewish hit men and not a mixture of Jewish and Italian hit men with the ringleader Albert Anastasia being Italian.

There were a few other historical discrepancies however it wasn't to the point where I would lower my rating of the entire production itself because I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm hoping there will be another installment of this series because there are so many early gangsters that have notoriously made their mark in carving out a piece of the American Dream and it would be nice to see their story told.

This was an excellent series and I was so sad for it to end.
  • I stopped watching after 5 or 10 minutes. After they said "The young charlie luciano moved to New York...." I turned it off. Any idiot knows he was born as Salvatore Lucania and that he changed his name when he got older. All this "narrated by ray liotta" high production humbug, with a dramatic and way too loud soundtrack as if this is the ultimate mob documentary to surpass all others, and they neglect stuff like this? Ridiculous. How can you be so pretentious and negligent at the same time? and this 10 line minimum for a review is also absolute nonsense. So this is why you are reading this useless filler. Here, some more. I'm just gonna keep on going until I have enough lines and I can post my little rant. Because that's just what it is. Plenty of other good mafia docco's around. Nobody needs this and I certainly will not lose a second of sleep over it.
  • I've seen many mob movies and shows and quite frankly I love God Father movie the most but this show is equivalent to that movie, I've seen all the 5 episode of this show and its amazing, the details and acting are excellent, the story line goes in-depth for the events that happened as it is in NY and that adds to the script of how good this series is.

My only concern is that this series doesn't end in just 1 or 2 seasons because of the story line and that would be a big disappointment. I hope this TV series continues adding more details on everyone lives and provides more information about the cops and agents involved or bribed with details on the mob assets and cribs and safe houses... this TV show has amazing potential and can provides a direct view in the history of the prohibition era and the mafia.

The music and details to clothing are amazing, and the narration in between provides a really good help in understanding what exactly is happening, so I won't like this to go to history channel at all rather be a show of its own league which it is for anyone to get information.

I recommend this to everyone who is interested in knowing about the Mob world in the early era's. I hope it continues the same way and exceeds above 7 or 8 seasons.
  • chilipeppers-1787930 August 2016
    I don't know what all of the real mob characters looked like, but I don't think many of the actors resembled the real mobsters especially the actor who played Sam Giancana. Good actor, but he looked nothing like the real guy. AND THE REST I ADDED TO HAVE THE AMOUNT OF LINES FOR SUBMISSION:

The Gettysburg Address

The Gettysburg National Cemetery was dedicated by President Abraham Lincoln a brief four months after the Battle. Lincoln's speech lasted only two minutes, but it went into history as the immortal Gettysburg Address.

"Four score and seven years ago, our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation: conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war. . .testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated. . . can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war.

We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate. . .we cannot consecrate. . . we cannot hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced.

It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us. . .that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion. . . that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain. . . that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom. . . and that government of the people. . .by the people. . .for the people. . . shall not perish from the earth. "

More information about President Lincoln and the Gettysburg Address.
  • Really enjoyed Series one.

Great story telling of a fascinating organisation..the Mafia

Rich Graff as Lucky Luciano was terrific and totally convincing