• There have been so many historical themed shows on Indian television but none has been so unrealistic. First and foremost the makers have only misused the name of one of the greatest emperors of India - Samraat Ashoka. The story of the show is not only historically inaccurate but also far more fictional than even Hatim Tai or other imaginary folk tales. The makers of show didn't bother to research the life of Ashoka the great and inserted characters and events processed in their own minds. eg. Ashoka was born in the Mauryan Palace and lived there as a child along with his mother Dharma but in the show young Ashoka and his mother live in a countryside village. Creators have failed to maintain chronological consistency as well. eg. Emperor Chandragupta Maurya was alive until Ashoka was about 7 years old but in the show he is shown to be dead long ago.

Secondly, the writers have failed to write the characters and the storyline, which even if not true to history, could have been true to rationality. Things like occult and black magic, immunity to lethal venom, masked vigilante etc. have been unnecessarily added and tend to take the story away from reality. Yet the story is boring and predictable and moves ahead in a sloppy manner.

Apart from these major anomalies in the story, casting and production value are not impressive at all. Siddharth Nigam needs to be lauded for his portrayal of young Ashoka. Sameer Dharmadhikari and Manoj Joshi have played Emperor Bindusara and Chanakya respectively and both have done their job quite well. They are the saving grace of the show. Other actors are not good enough. Set is commendable and costumes are good though not authentic. The presentation of characters, however, is heavily inspired from popular TV series Game Of Thrones. eg. Sushima resembles Prince Joffery Baratheon, Dastaan resembles Khal Drogo etc. VFX is below average. Fight sequences are exaggerated as seen in a lot of contemporary movies but the show's creators are clever enough to utilize the agility and athletic prowess of Siddharth Nigam, who is a national level gold medalist in gymnastics.

Also, the show is biased towards Ashoka and Sushima is portrayed as sadistic and narcissistic. Actually, Ashoka was a much more fierce and ruthless warrior than Sushima since childhood, as evident from the historical records of that period.

The show gets 1 star for casting Siddharth Nigam, Sameer Dharmadhikari and Manoj Joshi in their respective roles and another star for beautiful set design. Had it been a mythological show, creative liberties could have been granted to a vast extent. But with a historical show there are limitations over creative liberties. The show has everything except truth. This show may appeal to some people who love cheesy entertainment. But if you hope to obtain knowledge about Emperor Ashoka's life you will be disappointed. Old TV Shows like The Sword Of Tipu Sultan, Bharat - Ek Khoj, Chanakya, The Great Maratha etc. have set a benchmark in historical drama genre which yet another show of the new generation fails to attain.
    Asoka no doubt was the greatest king of India. WE all love to read about him. BUT colors have left no stone unturned to make this show (SAMRAT ASHOKA) like other soap operas where one can fit all the bullshit he can. Secondly what pisses me off are their multiple commercial ads.

Last but not least -they took more than a week to punish Justin.

Its gradually turning into a boredom because its going very slow. I wonder how long will it take to Samrat Ashoka to grow up .

Being a history student i thought this show might be historical and interesting but colors is putting all the MASAALA into it to make it like other soap operas. JUST A WASTE OF TIME..

my suggestions would be : Make it run fast because in 1 week, its only for 2 days that they show something sensible.SO PLZZZZZ CUT THE CRAP OUT OF IT AND SHOW US SOMETHING LOGICAL AND HISTORICAL ,BUT NO MASAALA .
  • Well i just realized it's been 174 episodes today,n the main protagonist hasn't aged a year since the beginning of the show,,maybe the director has borrowed the idea from Boyhood,n is actually thinking of going as per earthly timeline!!!

So why i rated it awful-So despite the above fact,,,

acting is pathetic save for Chanakya n antagonist,,

direction is stupid(protagonist sleeps with a turban kinda thing on his head),,

the story is progressing at a speed in which u can have countless episodes(i bet at least 500 before Ashoka becomes a ruler),,

plus countless impossible moments(Ashoka fighting a tiger being one,,wait it's not stupid,until u realize he's shown to be around 14-15 yrs of age,,a 10 year n 15 yr guy studying in same class,etc.),,,

the music is horrific(they have a background music for every character,,inspired from Saas-Bahu shows),,, n politics more than even today's era.

In short the show is _________,,if u don't agree me kindly watch a couple of episodes!!!!
  • "chakravartin Ashok Samrat" is one of the finest show in the Indian historical genre.It is no doubt Siddharth Nigam fully justifies the main character "ashoka".He set high level foe that lead character.But Chanakya was also a good part of show.Manoj joshi gave a power pack performance.

As we know the representation of the historical story is challenge for every show and movie.I think the the makers of the show are doing good job.Script is good.the twist given in story is also good attempt.But the best part of show is the visual effect.What I liked though is the visuals and the diligence that has been put in the show by the special effects and VFX team is brilliant.

But Also there is a lot of scope for improvement.First of all ,some time the show drag the track so lengthy that it bored all audience.it should be avoided.Some character are not interesting.

So I'd recommend that people watch this historical drama for Siddharth Nigam and the special effects of the show.

Being a history student i have read about Mauryan empire and of course about Ashoka all the time but this show as i know is created by Contilloe Ent. (which make shows like Maharana Pratap and Jhansi ki rani, all being inaccurate to history) has done no research about Ashok. They are showing Ashok as some child prodigy who is doing gymnastics all the time. The show has shown that he was born in a forest and not in the palace and that his father (Bindusara) didn't knew about Ashoka was his son. They are also showing that Kaurvaki was his first wife whom he met during his teenage, which is purely contrary to history as he already had two wives before Kaurvaki and the character called Kichak is purely fictitious as there is no record about this guy. And the great thing is that they won't find an adult version of ashoka because as Contilloe have their legacy that they never show adult version of the lead character, all adventures are experienced by the teenage and child version. My rating to this show is in Minus, I mean below ZERO. Don't know where Indian Television is going?? Don't waste your watching this show, especially if you think that by watching this show you might clear your History Exam
  • One good story was wasted by a very bad director. As most of Indian shows, interesting at the beginning. But later, repeating same story over and over again. Punishing the characters and people who watch it.

If somebody can drag a story of less than a year for more than 300 episodes, I think only this director. Even after a instant time advance, same story repeating over and over again.

Waste time showing all the faces of surrounding people one by one for each and every statement a character make. Sometimes for each and every word.

Spoiled the story of one great king. Not sure that they will stop at 500 episodes. My kids may watch the last episode with their kids.

Good bye Ashoka!!!

Our entire neighbourhood watches this serial and all work is put to rest when it is aired.

after a very long time have i come across a television show that not only has excellent actors and actresses ,great script but also amazing cinematography.

We all know the story of Ashoka, but the challenge was in retelling the story and making it so interesting that people would want to wait for the next episode eagerly. If story telling is an art, Story retelling is a feat that the makers of Ashoka have certainly achieved. The script and twists in the original tale make it even more interesting. we all know how the story ends and yet......we stay glued to see how they show it.

historically speaking though our text books claim Asoka to be born n brought up in the palace....little in fact is known of him except from his own edicts and Buddhist texts. stories about him abound and yes....he was one of the greatest rulers India ever had. ..so its interesting to see what he did...and why he did what he did. even conjectures are welcome.

the other thing about this serial is the message it sends out to people...repeatedly through chanakyas teachings or Asoka's musings to himself....the message of truth...non violence....patriotism....glory....loyalty....lo ve e for people....democratic visions....equality..... these values are not talked about in any of the k serials. the melodrama in all other serials kills their script and their story line. Asoka survives.

to those who love saas bahu dramas with senseless emotional outbursts and stories of revenge .....this is pure gold. i love seeing Ashoka.
  • varunxd-229478 October 2018
    By far the worst show in Indian history. I wouldn't even mind historical inaccuracy but this is way beyond that. A 12 year old Ashoka is able to overpower at least a hundred different soldiers ranging from Seleucid (Greek) and some fictional kingdom ruled by a tyrant called Kichak. As one review pointed out, the 12 year old Ashoka is taking a walk in the park in Kichak's palace, easily defeating his well trained soldiers who are armored by just pushing them. Meanwhile Superman Ashoka is able to take a sword to the neck and survive but a few dozen armored soldiers and royal guards can get defeated by a mere push. Not to mention the part where Ashoka is blindfolded and becomes a ninja and kills every soldier in the room using his "spider sense". This is absolute garbage, this show is over glorifying Ashoka and making him look like an unbeatable God. Absolute garbage
  • Dated 19.09.2016

A review from a hardcore happy fan to a hardcore angry and disappointed fan as the show progressed.

CAS could have been an excellent show. It started with a bang with awesome script, excellent actors and great set. People used to flock in front of TV awaiting for this serial.

Simply put Contiloe Entertainment, the Makers and Ashok Banker took gold and turned into dust. Entire fault is theirs alone. The show got impossibly boring, very unrealistic in terms of story lines and character plot lines. The audience felt cheated. Too much nonsense and bollywoodish bullshit drama. Great deal of advertisements and such fake toy swords and weapons. Very low class action sequences.

Other historical serials running along side CAS such as Siya ke Ram (excellent work by Devdutt Patnaik and team) and Suryaputra Karn had far better scripts and special effects. They ran their course with great ratings and kept the audience glued and got their love.

Now it seems the show is going off air in October which was expected. It's quite amazing no one actually died of boredom watching this show. I hope the the story of Samrat Ashoka will be retold in future on TV probably by the more able and talented team.

Do not take Indian audience as fool and learn something from International/ National successful historical shows if you want success.

Good Bye CAS with a heavy heart
  • Actually reviews aren't meant to be wishful thinking Nevertheless for all reviewers who have given CAS good reviews purely out of frustration I do feel your pain.The serial was really good at start but now it is one of them which I will willingly help support by PAYING producers to stop airing it. I tend towards more purist reviews that is a historical doesn't need to be purely based on history for me to like it it simply has to be entertaining. But in this case even I will step in and ask have you done any research other than just google search on emperor Asoka.I mean when 30 episodes in you are introducing black magic out of the blue there is something seriously wrong not to mention some of the laziest writing I have ever seen: 1.Am I the only one who has problem with a whole army coming at doors of palace of biggest Indian empire and nor the thousands of soldiers at borders or anyone in empire sees,suspects or reports anything. Its like Pakistan bringing its whole army in India and no one (literally) in India knows about it till it is at gates of parliament it happened not once but twice 2.if that wasn't enough we have an enemy army hiding secretly in magadhs palace when Asoka is in in charge of security 3.stop showing bindusara a great emperor as a clueless idiot 4.ashoka roames in and out of palace of a kichak as easily as taking a stroll in park if that was so easy then why not just kill him when he is sleeping and be done with it? 5.endless other such instances where it seems writer was just bored out of his mind and didn't take more than 10 min. to write the script. Like literally replacing a whole ten tonne statue situated in top security by just putting a handful of soldiers to sleep by distributing them poisoned sweets,or ashoks mother lecturing an enemy army and her speech is so inspirational (or uninspirational) that they decide to NOT fight the war against ashoka (just an excuse for lack of budgets to not show us a full fledged war it too has happened twice.there are countless such plot inconsistencies but I cant list all of them But the biggest sin it commits is showing us endless flashbacks till every meaning full/less scene in nailed in your head there are full episodes end on end of just flashbacks it does nothing but provide more script fodder for useless episodes. Also it is not a historical anymore but a soap opera in a royal palace.Even after all this the serial still likes to pretend its very intelligent by giving us endless lectures on patriotism etc. making it all more unbearable to watch.I have stopped caring now for anything in this raise your hands if you want magadh and kalinga to be destroyed and burnt to ground who cares? Will need a lot pf fix up to return to its former glory.
  • You do same think maharana pratap don't chu like chugam My family almost 20 people watch this show start first apisode All say same thing it is to much boring now I hope you think I love Ashoka but not fit story you move speed like 2 km per hrs many think you add there new real story never think how look ashok 4feet height fight with khurasan queen lover or now with kichak if you don't have story tell face book people give lat batter story for you and please find new ashok maharana pratap you did same thing westing lot off time without good story with fulkunver when need more time last war you didn't give time Change your attitude please we love to watch
  • This is the best Historical TV show on the planet so far.The story starts with Chanakya; who recently had a dream in which Chandragupta Maurya (in the form of a lion) appeared and foretold him about the danger approaching the Mauryan Empire. Mean-while; Bindusara is ruling the vast Mauryan Empire. The show later-on focuses on the life of young Ashoka; who gets guidance from Chanakya in tough circumstances.While on the other hand; a game of conquering the entire empire is being played by Helena and the Empresses of Bindusara- Charumitra and Noor. Meanwhile Chanakya along with Radhagupta and his other disciples are busy in protecting the throne of Magadha from the evil and corrupt practices done by Helena and the other enemies of Magadha. Acting of Siddarth Nigam is really excellent. The music tracks and background songs are divine. This TV show teaches us lot of morals. Acharya Chanakya's lessons are worth enough to study. Magadha Kingdom is very beautiful. This help us a lot to know about real Indian history. Every Asian must watch this wonderful historical TV show.
  • Mr. Director or script writer,

Why are you trying of making all the wise world except you fool??? All the world knows that Ashok is known for his historical deeds for humanity by accepting Buddhism and abandoning Hinduism..

And you people did not show a single word about Buddhism..? Are u really human beings? how cheap and communal people you are???

In the whole serial u just shown blind acceptance of Chanakya by Asoka..which is complete injustice..You people are really enemies of human kind and history on this earth. shame on you.

You should have got learned from std.6 students to know real Asoka..instead of showing asoka like a daily soap ekata kapoor serials.